A very special blend of golden Virginias, a little "white" Burley, and a touch of Perique to make things interesting. Pressed into long flakes, sliced, then rolled in the tin in long strips.

BrandReiner
Taste

3.6
kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

Several flakes in several pipes, I find it burns hot no matter how much time I take with it. Fully rubbed and gravity filled, my Vaper pipes get too warm to handle comfortably. Air drying the rubbed flake 45-60 minutes doesn't seem to help. The flakes really aren't moist.

The perique is spicy and strong throughout. The VA becomes dominant and very pleasant during the second half. However, I've had better luck with Luxury Twist and Bullseye Flake, Escudo, Kingfisher, Haddo's, St. James, and Dunbar, etc.. I'll keep experimenting.

11/24/09 update. After consuming half of the tin with the same result..."it tastes like burning" to borrow from Ralph Wiggum...I put the tin away. Now, nine months later, in a small bent acorn with thick walls this Blend 71 is behaving. Early on in the conical bowl that "cinnamon sort of sweet spiciness" that laufenstoc identified dominates. A cinnamony rush of perique, I suppose, not bitey or hot, but fairly intense. Further down it settles into a mellow VA-burley treat. Very nice. Recommended!

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I got a tinful of this from a place that has it under a different label as a store brand (and I had to almost torture the owner into, er, owning up as to which particular blend was in the tin). That said, I am impressed.

The tin aroma is exactly what I expect of a really good VA/Per, with a little bit of extra goodness (the Burley, no doubt). A good, grassy VA with the edge and depth of the Perique, and as noted an extra dimension in there, just below the threshold of being obvious.

The impressively long strand of flake is perfect to smoke from the fresh tin: simply tear off enough for a bowlful, fold and twist, and lighting is amazingly easy for a flake. From the beginning, I get the VA and some Perique; there is an Orange sauce on there, and something else I can't quite lay my finger on. Whatever it is, it's good.

The 'baccy burns down easily, uncomplicatedly, developing more depth in its flavour as the bowl develops. The Perique becomes more prominent as I smoke along, and the Burley makes itself felt during the second half. The room note is pretty much what I expect of a good VA/Per.

For a fold/twist flake, this blend's burn is purely excellent; I have nothing but some ashes with no dottle left over without having to relight.

For me, this blend is right up there with the likes of Sam Gawith's FVF and Golden Glow, while being less pricey and actually having better smoking qualities.

I'd recommend a peaty Highland or Islay Single Malt with this, or a good, hoppy ale.

Pipe Used: DB Mayflower, BC Cobra Jr.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Smoker's Corner, Lübeck, Germany

Similar Blends: SG FVF, SG Golden Glow.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

Journal Notes, April 2002: First tin purchased at Uptown's. Expensive relative to similar flakes. One whiff of the tin says "RL Will was here." Hard to find the burley in the aroma, just great VA and a little Perique. Full rub. Hour dry. Autograph 00 "Dublin/Stack". Two match char. One match. No relights. Clean, sweet, a lttle spice. Where's the burley? Not that I care. Dry. Gotta get more.

Journal Notes, April 2004: Cellared June 2002. Radice Rind Stack. Darker, sweeter. Bright notes more subdued. Good Perique creep. Gotta get more. Current inventory 12 tins.

July 2008: I wonder if I can sell a kidney for some more of this? Current inventory: Not Enough.

Wonderful.

This is very similar to Orliks Golden Slices, only at 2 1/2 times the price

Updated 11/13/2013- Wow, I don't know if this needed a few weeks to breath or it was my technique, but, this is a 4 star blend. I just retried this same tin in a cob and at much slower cadence than I normally smoke, and it is smooth, sweet and flavorful. The initial light is still like "Orlik's Golden Sliced" in flavor but this quickly fades to a much more flavorful blend. The Perique and Burley never show their face , it just tastes like a great Virginia. I'd love to try this back to back with Solani's Silver Flake, I think they would be similar. Price still an issue

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

This is what pipe smoking is all about. Before I get to the actual leaf, let me just tip my hat to the people at Reiners. The packaging of this blend is downright regal in every way. Every time I reach for a tin of this blend I feel the history and pomp that can sometimes be attributed to the noble art of pipe smoking. It makes me feel nostalgic about the hobby in general.

The tobacco is just beautiful. The fact that this blend seems to only come in a 100 gram tin can cause some pipe smokers to steer clear. Yest it is a little more expensive than most blends but it is totally worth the money. The long almost strop like looking flakes are stunning to look at and rub out effortlessly. The smell in the tin is glorious hay-like Virginias. This is the smell that will make the mouth of a veteran pipe smoker water.

This is what I consider a "high end" Virginia. The tobacco taste is bright and lemony and hay like, unlike blends such as Wessex campaign flake which is a dark Virginia taste. This one is on par with my all time favorite tobacco Orlik Golden Sliced.

The perique in this blend is not noticed by some but is very evident for me, at times almost a little too much. I tend to detect perique as a tingle in my nose, and I can definitely pick it up in this blend.

A pipe full of this bowl really is a journey with many transitions, much like a good cigar. The farther down the bowl the deeper and more robust the flavor. One of the few blends in which I look forward to the last part of the bowl.

Highly recommended and as a Virginia lover I will always have plenty of this blend in my cellar.

There are better VaPer Burleys out there, but I still rate this as four stars because it's too good a smoke to rate it at three, and there's no three and half star rating. I don't taste the licorice others suggested is there, but I do get the slight orange/lemon, and even then, it's subdued by a light wheat note. Not much nuttiness from the burley because of the other flavors. The perique is mild and lightly peppery. Not the most complex mixture you'll ever try, but it does give a nice variety of taste, so I would rate it as moderately complex. Burns easier if you cube cut it, but the fold and stuff method works well, too. One of the nice things about this blend is how well it ages and as it does, gets a little more complex and the natural sweetness of the Virginia is lightly more prominent than when it's fresh. Good stuff; worth the money.

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just had to login tonight to comment on some previous posts on this tobacco blend that I don't fully understand. Sorry...I know, I know...everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But........F!

Like this quote..."Looks exactly like Solani 633 or SG FVF". What? Seriously? Why not just say..."Looks exactly like a kangaroo or a f'n chimp"! These flakes look nothing alike.

Someone explain this to me..."Similar ot [sic] Orliks Golden Slices...Also similar ot [sic] Stonehaven". What? Really? These two tobaccos are at opposite ends of the taste spectrum! What, exactly, was so similar?

We're not helping anyone when we dump this kind of confusion on this site. And I truly realize that I'm not helping either, when I post this kind of reproach. But seriously fella's!?!

We're supposed to sincerley HELP people determine what tobaccos to try next, in our collective pursuit of a good or great tobacco...and not confuse the F out of people.

Sorry everyone. I know I shouldn't have done this. Regret this post I might...but had to do it.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tin: Gold paint can. Smells like sweet raisin cereal, with a dark scent. Looks exactly like Solani 633 or SG FVF. From a tin purchased 10 months ago.

Packing: Just twisted and mashed about 1 inch of it, then stuffed it in the pipe. Lit easily. The belt of tobacco was soft and supple.

Aroma & Taste: Sometimes it was similar to the tin aroma, and sometimes it had a smoky astringency, accompanied by a constant stinginess-bite, maybe from the flavor treatment.

Nicotine: not a lot

Room Note: not bad

Overall: Charlie Atwood's and Dr. Scott's reviews provide some insight on flavoring. Burley is commonly used to drink up flavor juices. Due to the constant sting and bite, it might be better classified as an aromatic.

I'll try not to be overly enthusiastic with my review; but dadgum, this is one fine tobacco blend!

The flake is beautiful and arrives in a large 100 gram tin in one long strip that has been wound up. The pressed leaf is at a perfect moisture content and breaks up and rubs out easily.

The taste is naturally sweet with just a hint of the spicy Perique and a roundness that only top-shelf Burley can add to fine Virginia leaf.

Upon lighting, the sweetness of the Virginia combines with the Perique spice to produce a true tobacco flavor blast that few other blends can reproduce. By mid-bowl the Burley begins to make its presence known and the sweetness of the Virginias subside a bit. By bowl's end, the compilation of tobaccos provides a finish that'll wow your taste buds!

This, my friends, is a pipe tobacco.

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (11)

Lovely tin note, mostly just the smell of good virginia, no cocoa from the burley, but a hint of raisin. Rubs out easily, packed a bit loose it smokes to the heel with little drying time. Tastes like a great straight virginia, the perique and burley are well in the background. Very bright, sweet but not overly so, and great grassy/hay notes throughout and a slight bit of spice from the perique, which stand out more towards the end of the bowl as the sweetness subsides a bit. Really wonderful tobacco taste. Not sure anyone else is enjoying the room note, but smelling it on my clothes sure makes me want more. Didn't find it to smoke any hotter than most virginias, personally, but full flavor definitely requires a slow smoke. Wish it wasn't 23 bucks a tin, but other than that I can't find anything to complain about. This is great tobacco. Didn't really taste the burley, but that's my palate, I'm sure, and not the blend. Not similar to anything I've smoked. Almost, but not close enough to call.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum, Briar

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the longest flake I´ve ever encounter! It´s a very long tobacco strip roller inside the tin. Really neat if you are into the whole "I roll my flakes and smoke them un-rubbed".
The tin aroma gives a zesty lemony aroma. Some hints of bread and raisins can be noticed. The perique can also be smelled, but is somewhat subtle.
After a couple of years in the cellar, the tobacco came right on the spot of humidity. Rubbing it out is a real pleasure. I do not know a lot about the "white burley" but some almost white tobacco leafs can be found.
This virginia flake is very round on the palate. Flavor is delicious, as the perique and burley match perfectly with the virginias. Upong further smoking the citrus notes are less noticeable, and a more robust flavor can be sensed. This blend should be smoked with a slow pace or it may burn hot.

Please note that the new tin simply states "Blend 71", although the description is the same.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 2000

Age When Smoked: 2 years in cellar

Purchased From: Cupojoes

Similar Blends: Solani Silver Flake, Erinmore Flake.

Marker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marker (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginia is foremost in this blend. The taste comes almost fully from the VA. The sweet VA taste is excellent and doesn't bite or burn if you puff too fast.

I did not detect any perique in the blend so it is either well hidden or the tin I had aged enough to dull it.

The burley is nice for some added nutty taste. The light and burn is helped by the burley and makes this a great introduction to VA flavor for newer people. You don't have to fight this blend to keep it lit.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (97)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one of my absolute favorite tobaccos to smoke. In my humble opinion this is a superlative blend. It has all the attributes of a smoke that puts me on Cloud 9 (subtleties, nooks & crannies, and secrets to reveal to the patient piper). If you are a fan of Vapers, ahem...sorry Vaperburs, (a little Burley in there) you owe it to yourself to pick some of this stuff up.

I like to pack this flake vertically in a smallish pipe with a touch rubbed out on top, but I have also found that rubbing a bit out and placing it in the bowl first with bits of cubes cut from the flake on top works wonders as well.

Upon charring light there is an immediate toasted rye bread sweetness and a firm spice. I find this flake to have a smooth body yet also a lively mouth feel, as well as a perfect balance between the sweet, sour, & the perique spice attributes that one finds in this genre of tobacco.

As the bowl progresses and the primary flavors develop. I get a sour flavor on the tongue with a complex spiciness that is somewhat earthy, almost like charred smoked poblano peppers in vinegar. Other flavors present are caraway seed, black pepper, and an edgy citrus note that is more lemony than orange.

Around mid smoke LGF remains very cool and sweet however the flavors become deeper and more firm. A pungent piquancy and tang comes forth, supported by a smooth honey like essence and the scent of the exhaled smoke is reminiscent of highway grass fire. Altogether LGF is a soft, supple, full creamy smoke. The white burley adds a bit of a nicotine kick and rounds out the mouth feel nicely. Each time I smoke this I put the pipe down incredibly satisfied.

Unlike some Vapers the flavors of LGF are surprisingly calm, mellow and unified. LGF is also very well behaved - no moisture problems, overheating, and no bite.

Altogether Long Golden Flake is a thoroughly satisfying, nicely presented tobacco. Definitely a true reference blend in its class.

Highly recommended

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Another great R. L. Will blend! and one that is accessible to a wide range of smokers. Being a fan of solani 633 and solani aged burley flake, I gave long golden flake a chance - and I am glad I did. This is an extremely well rounded smoke.. The first thing you notice about it is the care of the presentation. It looks amazing.. then you smell it and you know you are indeed in for something special. the smoke itself is mainly about the virginias.. although there is a little perique and some burley influence.. but you just taste the finest natural tobacco flavors in a beautiful flake form.. I think it is cased. but not much.. very natural tasting.. the quality of the smoke makes me wonder if there is some aging going on before it is packaged and sent off.. very smooth even and even elegant smoke. edit:

Having just recently tried orlick golden sliced it was interesting how closely related these two tobaccos seemed to be. Whatever flavoring is added (be it discreetly) is nearly the same! LGF has the addition of perique which adds a little complexity.. but both blended flakes are quite good and in the same profile as far as I am concerned.. I guess the novelty of the reiner presentation along with the perique give it a very slight edge.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I finally took the plunge and ordered some Reiner LGF and I am happy I did. First let me address the issue of price, which some have complained about. A bit less than $20 for 100gm is very competetive with the normal fair of high-end tobaccos in 50gm amounts going from $9-$12 (Orlik Golden Slice is one of the exceptions to this for such a fine flake). I paid $9.92 for a 50gm tin of Marlin Flake with the same order, so we're in the same ball park.

Now for the review. Upon opening the tin I found a nicely coiled belt of tobacco of a predominantly golden color with darker flecks throughout. Its tin aroma immediately reminded me of Orlik's Golden Slice but was more orange-forward. The hint of OGS's lemon was present, retaining its Bergamot character - just not as stong. I detected no traditional aroma associated with Perique. The moisture content was just right for smoking. A small piece of flake broke off one end and came apart quite readily. Tearing off a wad and packing without rubbing out is how I usually smoke this as I prefer not top rub out my flakes. Lighting was easy and I required one re-light after the initial two lights to start. The taste, for me, was similar to Orlik GS, but a bit stronger and fuller in character all around. I attribute this to the fine Burley used. As I am not a Perique fan, with Reiner's LGF I found the Perique wasn't as over the top as with some blends, nor was it musty. It added a very enjoyable spice-like presence (which good Virginia leaf can do on its own). The additional spiciness is all that set the two apart. Reiner's never smoked hot, nor did it produce any bite or moisture. With slow smoking, I also detected the presence of licorice. The aftertaste is a pleasant, honey/orange.

A very well put together flake. Final note: very much like Orlik's Golden Slice but not quite Virginia forward (but close), as the toppings can mute the Virginias for me. As some reviewers have noted a medicinal-like taste, I think what they are experiencing is the licorice in this (not off-putting for me, personally). It may serve as an everyday smoke for some, but I feel Orlik's Golden Slice edges LGF out in this regard. As I am not a huge fan of Perique, I would have to say that with LGF it is just the right amount to add that nice spiciness to the smoke, and not over the top. If I didn't know it was there, I can't honestly say I would have been able to detect it. Although I reach for OGS more regularly, LGF is still a superb tobacco.

UPDATE 3-11-12: I just finished off an 18 month old tin. This noticeably improves with age. I have another unopened tin from 8-1-11 that I will let sit until it reaches at least one year before opening.

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

This tobacco, otherwise quite attractive, is ruined by the European habit of dousing their tobaccos in liquorice, a sweet herb that is toxic in high doses.

Some sources say that the purpose of liquorice is to dilate the bronchial tubes and increase the amount of smoke that gets into the lungs, increasing the nicotine dose and thus the addiction to nicotine.

But it is also one of the sweetest substances in nature, and a very popular way of sweetening tobacco and increasing the appeal of otherwise inferior leaf. It is especially popular at Kohlhase & Kopp, where this stuff is made.

Do yourself a favor and choose a blend without the liquorice. If you want to pickle your liver, why waste it on this stuff? A pipefull of Escudo and a tall glass of Scotch: that's the ticket!

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Almost perfect.

Reiner's Long Golden Flake has the perfect packaging and the perfect presentation. The air-tight tin, the extra-long flakes packed in a spiral, the beautiful brown color and perfect texture make for an almost perfect experience, even before getting the tobacco into your pipe. The moisture content is almost perfect, requiring little or no drying out of the tin.

The flavor of the Virginias is super. It is almost a perfect tobacco. But it will not make my favorites list, or even my regular rotation.

The only strike against this is the casing/topping. More than one flavor is present, putting this tobacco in the aromatic or light aromatic category for me. The anise or licorice flavor, which imparts a strong medicinal odor to the tin, can be tasted throughout the bowl. The medicinal flavor does not dissipate, and it dominates the flavor of the pipe from beginning to end. It is just as strong nine months after opening. It makes me ask if the blender is trying to cover up some shortcoming in the tobacco. But it is probably intentional. I suppose some folks prefer this flavor.

I long for a Long Golden Flake that is more 'natural,' without the licorice or other added flavors.

Update: 2 August 2010 After spending a few more months with this tobacco, I am marking it down to two stars. It is monotonous, dull, and dominated by the anise or licorice casing. There are so many Virginias out there that are so much better than LGF. It's not bad stuff really, but I always finish wishing I had chosen a different Virginia for my pipe, like a Rattray's or Solani VaPer, made in the same factory.

Update: 5 September 2010 I took LGF on a camping trip, smoking it daily for a while. The medicinal licorice flavoring drove me nuts. I've given up on this tobacco. This emperor has no clothes! One star only!

Update: 14 December 2010 Finally threw out the remainder of my LGF. There are too many good tobaccos out there to waste any more pipes on this one.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a smooth and rich bodied blend. Bright gold Virginias at the forefront, followed and bodied-out by sturdy burley. The burley is earthy but subdued, not thick or heavy enough to dull the Virginia sweetness. Having tried it in a brand new pipe, the top of the bowl set my tongue a bit a-tingle with premonition of harshness and bite, which luckily didn't pan out. It soon resolved itself into bright, rich flavor with a savory needle-like sweetness that remained even after the burley and perique kicked in past mid bowl.

Sweet and tangy, with a real tobacco taste. The perique is introduced with incredible subtlety and effectiveness. This is probably the best melding of perique with Virginia and Burley that I've yet tasted. I must own up to the fact that my experience with Virginias is relatively limited; I'm more of an English/Balkan smoker. But by any standard, this is really, really fine tobacco blended to render a rich complexity from the bright Virginia.

You can fill it in the pipe by folding the flake or rubbing it - it works either way and the fill method would depend solely on your preference. I use it to break in a new pipes, and even in a new pipe the relights were few, as it burns smooth and steady. A benchmark baccy experience for me.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend was brought to our pipe club for sample. The tin I sampled was about six years old, so I am sure any sharp edges have been nicely smoothed over. This blend was about the proper moisture for VaPer blends, and once rubbed out smoked very well with barely any maintenance. The taste was very mild with the light VA's taking the center stage. Sweetness was predominate at the top of the bowl. Midway the VA's are a bit more full and well rounded. There was a slight sourness from the Perique and a bit of the nutty burly flavor that came in towards the bottom of the bowl. Being the Latakia hound that I am, I am glad every once and a while I get reminded why I have a rack full of pipes devoted to VA blends! This is the high water mark for Virginia tobaccos.

WestCoastSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WestCoastSmoke (1)

Reiner's Long Golden Flake is one of the best Virginia tobaccos currently available. This blend provides all the elements a smoker requires in a top quality pipe tobacco: it comes packaged at precisely the right moisture level, it rubs out and burns easily, it imparts almost no tongue bite, and it can serve as an unobtrusive all-day smoke.

What makes Long Golden Flake a truly glorious tobacco is its ability to be unobtrusive one moment and complex the next; it behaves in exactly the way its smoker desires. If the smoker of Long Golden Flake wants a mellow blend which he can puff away at in an absent-minded manner all day, that is what he gets. Paradoxically, if the same smoker decides he wants a complex and nuanced smoke Long Golden Flake will deliver that too.

My personal experience with this tobacco has involved smoking three one-hundred gram tins over the course of one and-a-half weeks. This is an unusual level of consumption for me. I will normally smoke about one-hundred grams of tobacco each week and this amount is usually made up of two or three different blends. I have smoked Long Golden Flake in three pipes: a Dunhill group four billiard, a Dunhill group four prince, and a medium-sized bent meerschaum. A further endorsement for this tobacco is the fact that I am primarily a smoker of English-style blends. These three pipes are the only ones I use to smoke Virginia tobaccos. Up until now I would only smoke a Virginia blend once or twice in a week. Someone was evidently looking out for me when I made the decision to buy that meerschaum recently; if it had not been on hand to puff on I would have certainly fouled those two lovely Dunhills with the amount of smoking I've been doing. This tobacco smokes well in all three pipes and I suspect that it smokes well in any size and shape of bowl. The various tobaccos meld well. Virginia sweetness, Perique spiciness, and burley mellowness all make themselves known at various points during the smoke. Long Golden Flake requires very little tamping or manipulation to keep it burning and it burns cleanly, if a little moistly, down to a grey and black ash. It almost never leaves dottle at the bottom of a pipe.

In summary, this is a great tobacco. It can serve as a mellow all-day companion. However, if the smoker sits down and devotes his full attention to it he will be rewarded with a complex and sublime smoking experience. My compliments to R.L. Will. He has made a devoted Virginia smoker out of me. Now all that remains is saving up my pennies for a few more quality pipes to smoke this blend in.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

This gets four stars. I don?t think there?s any question or need to wax poetic, laud the presentation, sing the praises of the skillful rendering of a superior flake. I mean any need for me too; it already seems pretty well covered. The question seems to be is it worth the cost. I couldn?t get this stuff locally so I had to order from pipesandcigars dot com, I also had them send me a half a pound of Anniversary Kake which was 50 cents cheaper than the 100 grams of LGF. I like Anniversary Kake. A loti had plenty of time to think about things. I thought about getting a couple of corncobs strictly for taste testing LGF. When it got here I used my favorite Radice Silk Cut bent brandy instead. That pipe retails for about 250 bucks more than a corn cob. Does it smoke 250 bucks better? I think that?s the wrong question. The accurate answer to that question would make us all a bit foolish.

Anyplace that sells eighteen year old single malt also sells twelve year old, ten year old, three year old and a variety of blended whiskeys. If your intent is to get shit faced and insult your boss?s wife you get the best bang for the buck out of Maddog 20/20. I?m not trying to sound snobbish here or anything but at a certain level of refinement cost is hardly the issue. I can?t imagine anyone I know saying they?d prefer, if I were buying, a three year old blended over an 18 year old single malt.

I think if you were searching for all day five bowl a day blend and you pulled down 12K a year that LGF is the absolute wrong smoke for you, but that doesn?t lose it a star, nor does the fact that I get three times as much Anniversary Kake for the buck lower the rating for LGF, but comparing the cost of two tobaccos I gave four stars too is again like comparing the smoking quality of the Radice against a corn cob, it?s an unreasonable way to look at things you can?t put a dollar and cents price on a sublime experience. I guess the best answer to ?Is it Worth It?? is can you afford it? I?ll go through a lot more twelve year old scotch and Anniversary Kake than I will eighteen year old scotch and LGF, but I don?t regret the occasion or the sublime joy that is smoking LGF or drinking an eighteen year old Glen Morangie.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was excited by this smoke given to me by dm14 on the second Greek pipe smokers? forum on the 20th February 2008, and I would like to thank him a lot.

Impressive appearance once you open the box. A long stripe of tobacco wrapped beautifully and carefully in the box. It has the perfect content of moisture, and this helps to fill the bowl easily. I smoked it without rubbing it at all; I just cut a satisfying piece of the stripe, folded it and put it in the bowl. Pleasant, easy and cool smoking. Its flavor is sweet with a hint of spicy Perique and has maturity that only a top Burley can offer.

zeuxis76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zeuxis76 (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Do you remember when you tasted hand-churned ice cream for the first time? My first hand-churned ice cream was made from grove-fresh South Carolina peaches on a humid and hot summer day in Miami. I remember the creamy texture of the blend and the succulent peaches. That experience seemed at the time (and still to this day) transcendental. If you have never eaten hand-churned ice cream, I suggest you do. However, regardless of whether you have experienced such gastronomique pleasures, you are sure to find a similar trancendental experience in this terrific blend.

I first smoked this tobacco in a corn cob (the pipe I generally use to sample different blends). Corn cob pipes generally add a distinct sweetness to tobacco that I find rather pleasant. On the occasion during which I first sampled this blend, I noticed the subtle sweetness of the corn cob amidst the delightful creaminess of the tobacco. This tobacco is buttery and smooth. It does not burn hot in the slightest. It was like eating a smooth, rich and decadant cream brulee. There is a slight nutty note to the tobacco is not noticable throughout the smoke.The nutty note is more of a motif or idee fixe that drifts through the smoke hole with remarkable dexterity and timing.

This blend extraordinarily is well composed. My highest marks to RL Will!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

The cut of the flakes seems to be inspired by Marlin Flake. There are just five flakes in the tin, each one about a foot long. I have seen a longer flake only in the Marlin bulk packaging, where the flakes are about two feet long.

The tin of Long Golden Flake I am smoking now is about two years old, and given that there is no air-tight factory sealing, the tobacco has preserved its moisture very well. The golden colour has darkened a bit, and both the tin aroma and the taste have ripened.

I find this blend to be on the savoury rather than the sweet side. For some reasons of body chemistry I have never taken to either Three Nuns or Elizabethan: it seems to me that LGF does better than the former two in combining virginia and perique. A pity that this is not very freely available.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I smoke a bowl of Long Golden Flake each day. It comes in wide, rolled flakes as has been described above. A neutral sweetener has been added which does not interfere with the taste of the tobacco. It rubs out easily and is best a little on the moist side, unusual for Virginia's according to my taste. It packs easily. Try as I might, I cannot detect the burley. The Perique is evident, but very restrained, a perfect treatment of Perique in combination with the overall effect of this blend. The flavor is primarily a sweetened Virginia, and I would agree that the operative word is "delicious." I do not mean delicious in the sense of the heavily cased PG blends, but as the word to describe the taste and after taste of Virgina and Perique. Should the tobacco become a little dry in the tin after opening, the addition of one drop of water directly to the bottom center of the tin will bring the tobacco back to perfect smoking condition in a day. Recommended. Paddy.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I guess I'm going to have to be the lone dissenter here. I really thought I would like this beautiful flake, but so far I really don't care for it. It seems to be topped with something I can't put my finger on and its flavor is cloying. It actually makes me slightly nauseous.

Of course, LGF has many good qualities. It lights easily, burns slow and cool, and is easy on the tongue. Moreover, the flakes are absolutely beautiful.

I guess I'll have to revisit this again in the future. Mr. Will is a great blender and I enjoy Solani 633 very much. I love bright Virginias, burley, and perique, so I'm really disappointed that I dislike this blend so much.

Update: I tried it again which causes me to downgrade my rating. I won't give this one another chance.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the only tobaccos I've seen that commands $20 a tin, at least in the upscale NYC shops (significant discounts available on line, of course). That, combined with the relative lack of attention it receives on the newsgroups, may dissuade many lovers of VA flake from ever sampling it. What a shame, for this blend is as good as it gets.

If the world's supply of Latakia were wiped out, I would panic. If some phyloxera-like blight were to eradicate the entire crop of Virginia leaf, I would faint. If Perique were to somehow become similarly unavailable, I would yawn. I know of no leaf as improperly used as Perique, and none so manhandled by proponents of the "if some is good a lot must be better" school of thought. Perique is at its best well in the background, hovering over one's shoulder, and tantalizing the palate with wisps of its telltale stewed fruit and inimitable spice. In Long Golden Flake, it is at its finest.

The tobacco is presented in a "paint can" and is comprised of absolutely gorgeous flakes long enough to whip the dog. It's on the dry side, as far as flakes go, meaning it's just about perfect to stuff and light. It exhibits a perfect burn, and dazzles all the way down, the burley gently rounding the superb VAs. It is incredible that all of this is going on in so light a smoke.

My reference for lighter VAs has long been Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR Flake and Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, two standout blends in a very competitive field. I must now report that the Reiner is the best I've had, by a long shot.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Good stuff, this.

I've had a few bowls of this at Burlington's on Whyte, a fine tobacconist in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Marvellous little shop. Very welcoming, and possessed of a wide variety of house-created blends. I digress, I think.

Long Golden Flake is blessed with a smooth, subtle flavour and smokes quite cool. It is thoroughly enjoyable.

After the tomes that have preceded my review, I think that is all that needs to be said.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)

Another fine mix of Virginia and Perique with a touch of Burley. I find this to be a nice, fairly mild, even burning smoke with a light Burley bite (not enough to worry about) and an occasional Perique tickle.

This is a simple smoke that wont offend most poeple indoors and burns long and cool for a walk outdoors. It requires some crumbling due to the long strips in the can. The can has a good seal for keeping once opened.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

The presentation of this tobacco IS outstanding. My 100g tin had but five "flakes" in it, each about a foot long and two inches wide. As such, it's also a bit impractical/unwieldy, but well worth the effort flavor-wise. This is how I like my perique: just as the tin says, with a "touch" that gives complexity and added spiciness to the beautiful virginias w/o turning your tongue into an ashtray. The burley has a low-key role, helping to keep this hot-tending blend cooler and providing a woodiness that plays off the sweet virginias. I found this tobacco to have a very up-front, bright taste that commanded my attention throughout the bowl, whose intensity definitely increased. It is medium in body/strength, and will neither disappoint the veteran nor destroy the neophyte. The flavor seemed to open up a bit more after a trip to my newly acquired coffee grinder, but it also smoked like a champ just rolled and packed (which was perfect for DGT). My tin seemed a bit "green", and I believe it will age well up to five years--the loose packing could cause drying? Highly recommended to all Va/P lovers, and for those who like their perique to behave, well here's a very gentlemanly smoke.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Latter-day Northern European blenders have a fine hand for Virginia~Périque concoctions. I have tried several good ones, none better than this auriferous beauty.

The shtick here is that the pressed tobacco block has been flaked without first segmenting it into plugs. The resulting flakes look like a man's leather belt, rolled up inside a tin of car wax. I am not sure what such formatting does for flavour, if anything, but the result is truly, unforgettably, delicious.

I suppose the white burley is there to buffer the potential aggressivity of the golden 'Ginny. You can otherwise not taste it (not that you would taste it even if it were there by itself...) and the golden Virginia is a veritable scrotum-tingling delicacy: nutty sweet like Roederer Cristal, whose colour it matches, mirage-like. The Périque adds excitement and allure, in Perfect Balance. Isn't that the definition of Classicism?

Ever since I first filled a gorgeous new Caminetto with Long Golden?I was sauntering down University Place towards Washington Square?I have been in HEAVEN, HEAVEN, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak! (In what other hobby can one have a true epiphany as often as we pipe lovers do??)

Recommended to friend and foe.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)

This is far and away my favorite blend in the Reiner line. R. L. Will makes some superb tobaccos in both the Reiner and Solani line, but until this one, I smoked only from the tobaccos in his Solani line.

First off, the packaging is pretty cool. The very long flakes are rolled and put in the tin sideways. Besides, the 'pop top' style tin is definitely my favorite for keeping tobacco in good condition.

It is a pretty tobacco with light and brown Virginias predominating. Smaller areas of white burley and dark, almost purplish, Perique round out the visual composition. As is obvious from observing the flake, there isn't too much of either in the blend.

The tin nose is pleasant but nothing particularly exciting. It has a distinctly grassy scent-- sort of fresh mown grass, really-- combined with a pleasant sweetness. I like the tin aroma, it's just nothing that would considerably differentiate the blend from many others of its ilk.

The smoke is, in a word, wonderful. The light grassiness and sweetness of the various Virginias is remarkably complex, with various flavors making themselves known at different times. It burns the tongue not at all-- incredibly cool smoking in light of the contents. I really feel that it will only improve with a few months, or years, aging. As it currently stands, it is very smokable, but I'm sure it will be mindbogglingly spectacular given some more time.

The burn is incredibly clean, especially for a flake. Though I've gone through almost a whole tin thus far, I smoked in a large Castleford Freehand for the purpose of the review. It's so good in this pipe that I might have to dedicate the pipe to this superb tobacco.

I'll be stocking up on this one to set back a number of tins as soon as I can get the cash together. I heartily recommend the blend and doubly recommend buying a few tins to put down.

I really enjoyed my short time with this blend. I received a good sample (5 bowls or so) from a forum buddy. Since I received it in a baggy I have no comment on presentation other than the flakes I received were of perfect moisture and it was relayed to me that the age on the same was about a year and a half old.

The flakes crumbled nicely, but not to dust. This is a great combination of Burley nuttiness and Virginia Hay sweetness. The perique, I found, was very light, but there nonetheless, in a supporting role. I will definitely be purchasing this one in the future.

I bought my first tin of Long Golden Flake back in 2010. I smoked about a half tin and it simply didn’t charm me. Now, four years later, it has mellowed into a very good flake and I find myself reaching for it often. The mystery topping is hard for me to pinpoint, but my feeling is that is a light citrus, but that could be because of the color of the flake. There is some added sweetness to this blend, but isn’t overpowering. The Virginias contribute the sweetness and the perique adds a light pepper to the flake rather than the fruitiness that Perique brings to other blends. I don’t think the Perique is overpowering. The Burley lies in the background adding some depth and it offsets the added sweetness a bit. Even when aged, it seems to burn a little hot at first light, but quickly settles down. It has been some time since I smoked Orlik Golden Slices, but to my memory, I find this better with less citrus. I am still not a huge fan of this blend when new, (about two and a half stars for me) but a four star blend when aged. I should add that while the tobacco is on the expensive side, if you try it and don’t like it, LGF’s long flake makes for an inexpensive belt!

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend doesn't agree with me. LGF leaves my pipe very hot and burns my tongue no matter how lightly I puff. The taste reminds me of cigarettes.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First impression was poor, but after giving it more tries and experimenting with moisture and packing, this is a good solid blend. Smells like pumpkin and apricot in the tin, and surprisingly it tasted as such too (to a degree, of course). Smoked cool enough, didn't bite. Simple good virginia, no complaints.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Well, this is one of my favorite for all time. You got to have (just a) little patience and the taste and smell will please you completely, even if you are a beginner or a "veteran". The N strength is close to mild, so don't expect to much in that area but that make it more pleasant for all day use. The can is filled with long sheets of mixed texture flakes but evenly placed (Perique and Burley predominant, but V make the difference) so you can smoke that packed (if you are a rookie) or...the best way crush in your fingers above the briar and fill it...let it breath for 4-5 min...and relax...and smoke...whatever. Additional... If you let the tin to age some years (I found one in my garage, probably 3 yrs old) is even more satisfying, so if you can, do that! :))

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Mild and faint spicy flavor. Good smoke, not a favorite.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)

Similar to Orliks Golden Slices but much richer and complex. Also similar to Stonehaven but not as earthy and musty tasting. Very good stuff and definitely worth a 4 star rating.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A nice mild, sweet VA to sit down too, some bright flavors but not overall bitey like many brighter VA's! I only got a small sample of this, but so far I'm only detecting a slight note of perique, and a bit of burley that seems to bring an excellent balance to the VA's. Overall nice stuff I'd say!

Wood Chuck Gardner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wood Chuck Gardner (6)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Of all the virginia burley blends, this is my favorite. Initially right out of the tin, this blend tastes like Orlick Golden Sliced and Pease's Montgomery. However when I close the tin and let it sit for a year this tobacco becomes truely sublime in complexity and flavor. New tins only get 3 stars. PS keep those little paint cans. They are perfect for storing those Solani flakes you will be trying.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

It took me 5 pipefuls, and the right pipe, to start liking this tobacco. A nice tin aroma of faint anisette combined with a cereal type smell from the golden VAs. Smoking reveals a light to medium tobacco retaining the tastes of the tin aroma and the occasionnal manifestation of the Per which brings a spicy addition. i would recommend you dedicate your attention while you smoke. Overall, a nice change of pace and I have ordered another tin.

bladebev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bladebev (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very nice VA flake. If it was available bulk or tin at under $5 an ounce it would be 4 star.

The taste is of a medium bodied VA with enough burly and perique to mellow, smooth, and add body to the VA taste. Good quality tobacco.

Unlike many VA/Per blends there is not enough perique to evoke that "plummy" tin aroma or a nose tingling sensation, but enough to compliment the Va flavor. Descriptions of licorice flavoring and aroma are very puzzling to me, unless the perique is being mistaken for a topping.

I smoke 2-3 tins a year (cost), aged 5+ years.

Pokey Nipple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pokey Nipple (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good "treat" tobacco to me. No way could I enjoy it more than once a day or even on consecutive days. A few times a month and it works nicely for me.

Looks like a leather belt and comes rolled up in a nifty paint can. I fully rub it out.

It's a busy-body tobacco that pipe snobs seem to enjoy, with all kinds of things going on in the flavor department. Licorice is pretty dominant to my palate, but there's also hay or grassiness. It's also pretty spicy.

To me, it's just too busy to enjoy on a regular basis. I smoke pipes for flavor and relaxation and don't want to be overwhelmed or constantly distracted. I can tell this is quality stuff and I find it nice on occasion.

I'm about at the end of my paint can (it has lasted over two years) and most likely won't get a replacement. There are other tobaccos I'm interested in or always want to have on hand. I'm glad I bought the can, however, and glad I smoked it, but I can easily live without it.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

This is a fantastic VaPer blend. Others have mentioned anise and licorice hints. They are there, but the funny thing is, I hate licorice and anise, and I still love this tobacco. A great outdoor spring and autumn tobacco.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This a classic Danish Flake with a mild topping of honey and orange. Golden Virginia for the flavor, White Burley for the nicotine and to fix the topping and finishing with a very small amount of Perique to give it more strength and body. Beautiful presentation and tin aroma. Tastes sweet with orange notes, a very enjoyable smoke for those who like a lighter Virginia Flake tobacco.

Big H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big H (9)

This comes in a nice gold tin with a paint can style lid. Inside you find a beautiful long coiled belt of golden Virginia tobacco. I agree with other reviewers that the tin aroma is that of tobacco and anise, however I don't believe there is a casing on this tobacco and I could identify no casing during the smoking, taste or room note.

It came moist but ready to smoke. Compared to other Virginia flakes, it's complex. It has a long, sweet finish. It has that rich tobacco flavor with subtle hints of grass and spice. The flavor was medium strength and very satisfying to the palette. Room note was that of moderately rich tobacco. No doubt some aging on this will improve it considerably and increase it's complexity. Is it expensive? A little more than most but compared to the $15 per cigar I'm accustomed to, the price is acceptable for a great product.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin note was of a slight Anise aroma. The Anise essence dissipates after a few puffs & wont interfere with the tobacco flavor. This is a quality blend that smokes mild with that certain sweet taste that only these mixes can provide. I prefer a stronger blend but this works pretty good...gains a little more strength toward the end of the bowl.

Anyway, tasted pretty good, didn't bite, was easy to prepare & burned down to a gray ash. This didn't make it to my top ten but I'll pinch off a flake on occasion and enjoy a friendly smoke. I think my top ten list will have to advance to twenty now. So many varied blends to choose from these days. Therefore, IMHO, Reiner's LGF merits four stars. Sampled in a Dunhill, size two Shell Briar.

This is, by far, the best VaPer I've ever tried. If you tried IRC Flake, this is it plus the perfect amount of Perique.

Absolutely outstanding, probably the first must-be in my rotation. I have quite a few tins in my cellar and will have many more soon.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

I've bought a can of this stuff as I was completely amazed by it's sister blend Solani Virginia Flake with Perique (blend 633). This one seems to me a bit stronger and it lacks the 633 special scent (when smoked). Although it is great tobacco,it is at least a "must try". (I think it is a "must have arround")

samhain5150 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samhain5150 (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is one of those rare blends that is just awesome. The long flakes inside the can are gorgeous and a pleasure to rub out. I seem to notice the perique in this more than in other blends, especially when rolled through the nose. I am an inhaler and this one can be inhaled easy wihtout having iron lungs. The roomnote is sweet and and definitly smells of quality virginias. This doesn't pack the vitamin N punch that some others do but great tobacco for the lover of quality Virginia's. This does require some attention and can burn hot if packed to tightly or not rubbed out a little but that what your next bowl is for. BTW the can is a super high quality paint style can that looks great on your tobacco shelf. Happy smoking with this one.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

Very interesting perique blend. Smooth and well balanced, but delicately laid so not to knock you over the head with it. Reiner Long Golden Flake is going in and out of stock more frequently lately, so stock up on this delicious blend!

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I cannot decide wether I like this better or Silver Flake.

Well I guess I have to keep on alternating them untill I know :)

update: All in all I would have preferred Silver Flake to come in a Reiner Long Golden Flake tin, then it would be up there in my 'Favourites' list.

update nov 2010 Coming back after having tried a lot of other tobaccoes like Synjeco's Flowers of Ireland, Holker and Oxenfisl twist and my now favourite S.G. Best Brown, I'm knocking of 2 stars...

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Odd, but my sampling of this blend is completely at odds with most of the other reviews here. Pre-light, it smells a bit like whiskey, and is pleasant. Lighting is a breeze; just fold n' stuff, give it a torch and you're off and puffing. TONS of light grey smoke just POURING from the bowl - this I like, but the aroma is not quite as pleasant once it's burning. Unfortunately, even a gentle draw turns the flavor spicy and bitter, with tons of 'baccy juice. Ugh.

Given that my experience is not the norm, I'm going to let this age until next winter and try again. As it stands right now, it's nearly unsmokable.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is up there with Escudo & Davidoff Flake Medallions - just not sure if its 4 stars I reserve 4 stars for epic blends. So I put it in the cellar to age & will revisit it later.

Mr. Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Mac (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a well-made, well-presented blend. If it's green, I find the sweet casing a bit cloying, but if it's cellared for a year or two and allowed to breathe a bit after opening, it's fine. I liked this a lot when I first started smoking va/pers because it doesn't torch the tongue, but I find myself in the mood for it less often these days. Which is just as well, because for what it costs, I might as well be smoking cigars.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This and Old Gowrie are the only VaPers I've tried and they're not much alike. This is sweeter (from the burley?), has more Perique I think, too. Very satisfying, clean smoking. Can bite when I'm not paying attention.

jvande7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvande7 (15)

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. I tried C&D Sunday Picnic for my first venture into VaPer's and I didn't like it much, too spicy. I thought I just wasn't a VaPer guy, but then a friend sent me some Reiner #71 (Long Golden Flake) and I was instantly hooked! It's a little on the pricey side ($25 for 100g) but it's WELL worth it. I honestly enjoy everything about this blend, NO COMPLAINTS. I plan to stock up on this as soon as my pocketbook allows. Seems it would be good to age some of this too. I haven't tried many VaPers, but I doubt you'll find a better one than this. A++ Git you some!

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (11)

I didn't review this to say anything new - just so I could rate it 4-stars. From the bulletproof, airtight can to the unique giant flakes this is the closest thing to perfect pipe tobacco I know. There are inspired scented wisps of smoke in every can that catch you by surprise.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Seems I might have detected an anise note upon popping the lid. This is a spicy blend from the initial light with a white Burley that tasted slightly bitter to me. However, each time I pop the lid on this can to stoke a new bowl, it seems to mellow out a little more. My 100 gram tin is nearly all smoked now. It has lasted a long time because I'm not real fond of it due to the licorice taste. I think more than just a touch of Burley was used & I don't care for Burley all that much.

The anise topping was not a good choice & the taste also became a bit acrid after a few tokes. This flake burns a little hot & I don't like it well enough to purchase any more. It tastes better after some of the topping burns off. Now, after finishing nearly a full tin, I honestly can't see how this blend holds a four star rating. I do agree that quality leaf was used for blending. I will deduct one star because I don't like licorice topping. Therefore, IMHO, Reiner's LGF only merits three s*s!

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (56)

This is a very nice flake. A true delight to smoke. Perfect for those times when you don't quite know what you want. The flavour is mild and delicately sweet, primarily a golden VA, but burley is noticeable and dulls it down more than I would have preferred. The perique reveals itself mainly in a spicy finish.

Moreover I have smoked few flakes with such good burning capabilities, whether you rub it or fold it, it more often than not end up being a one-match deal. Tastewise I detect no significant difference, so the method of packing is left to your preference.

Despite that I would have liked to see less (or none at all) of the burley and perhaps more perique, it's hard to find any major faults with LGF, so highly recommended it is. I've enjoyed a bowl of it daily for the last couple of months.

I believe that this can safely be bought by beginners and pros alike.

The tin is also an example I wished more manufacturers would adhere to. It's not only attractive, but practical as well.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

This is my first review notes, and I wanted to begin with one of my favorites. When I saw and smelled first time the flakes in their very nice tin I feld in love with them. Packs and lights easily. The love at first sight becomes true with the first taste.

Till the half of the bowl the virginias are dominating with their tasty flavor but the perique doesn't leave them to be very sweet. After the first half burley takes the action and the whole mixture aheads to a strong finish.

A real tobacco taste. Even it is not a cheap product I'll try to have as many tins as I can in my stock.

wildebeest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildebeest (6)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is, without a doubt, my very favorite tobacco blend on the market. It offers all the sweetness of the best European bright VA flakes, with a bit of added smoothness from a delicate touch of perique, as well as some wisps of delectable earthiness from fine burley. Contrary to what some others have said, if there is any casing here, it is most likely just a bit of added sugar, which is very common in Virginia flakes. For many months now, this has been my 'go-to' blend for breaking in new pipes. In my opinion, Long Golden Flake is one of the few Virginia blends that can rival even the best Balkans in terms of complexity. This is just pure deliciousness. R. L. Will is a genius.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Not much to add to what's already been said about this classic blend. It smokes very cool for the most part if you don't overpuff. One thing I noted that I didn't see from the other reviewers is that if it ever needed a relight, it became harsh for the first few puffs. That smacks of the burley rather than the virginia. The perique is noticeable but not overpowering; just enough to add some additional spice.

Smokes beautifully in briars, meerschaums, clays and cobs. Very complex if you sit and contemplate the smoke, simple if you don't. Not a perfect tobacco but close. This is going into my regular rotation and I'm also going to buy some extra to age in my cellar. GREAT tobacco - destined to become a classic if it isn't there already.

matty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matty (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice easy blend maybe not after dinner but on the beach or on the stoop with an arnold palmer. It's light and buttery smooth and it makes you keep smacking your lips wondering what is that taste? I like to take a tin out in the summer and it lasts. I revisit from time to time but tend to like something a little more satisfying. Down in carlisle I loved a lady many years ago, like her this blend is just as classy!

Memsys Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Memsys (8)

Quite a bit has been said in previous reviews so there is little I can add about this outstanding tobacco.

The packaging is attractive, different, but classy in a way. The tin smells of high quality VA, to my nose it smells like tea, strange I know.

Packing and Lighting is very easy, I just roughly rub out a bit, pack as normal, light and I am off to the races.

This is an excellent tobacco, the only drawback is the wife is not a fan of the room note. Oh well she can stay out of the man cave!

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I was smoking a tin of this during the last 3 months. This is an excellent quality beautiful Virginia/Burley flake naturally sweet, obviously top flavored with Anis and with some other stuff, the smoke is, in fact, delicious and tasty, the flavor is delightful, somehow gentle with organized and progressive levels of complexity, making this smoke clean, feminine and "polished", without any good or bad surprises.

Not my all day or every-day smoke, just good to have an opened tin of this around

Overall this is really a top quality tobacco, certainly worth your time and your money!

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Outstanding.LGF it's a winner,pricey,I know,but worth every penny. This one can stay with other full Va like Samuel Gawith,McClelland etc. It seems a light-medium weight at first,but I find a kick lingering in this tobacco,especially if smoked in group 5 pipes or greater. In my opinion it recall Orlik Golden Sliced, but LGF it's much better.

Kegworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kegworth (7)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

After a few bowls through the day, and felt somewhat disappointed ( I won't mention the blends), this last attempt proved to be most satisfying--smooth -tasty and pleasant to the last puff. I know it's pricey, but I also found it to be a truly good smoke. Classy! No Complaints here--a satisfied customer!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

It's all been said...but I love the subtle hint of burley and perq, all so soft, I love that it's VA citrus flavour is more oranges than lemon, I love that it still has that barny, hayfield touch. It's creamy, sweet, soft, subtle, with just the right amount of seasoning...no drying from the tin required, just rub and stuff. Long, big, golden quality in a understated fashion...shear perfection. 5 stars.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)

Some people might call this a va/per with training wheels, but I like it. It's not hard to smoke, it doesn't bite or burn the nose like many va/pers, and the burley and the slightly sweet casing set off the flavours of the virginia and the perique rather than interfering with them. It's rather expensive, though.

Mkdavella Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mkdavella (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

All I Say is This Is A Good Pipe Tobacco ~BUT~ TOTALLY~TOTALLY Way Over Priced

The Reiner Long Golden Flake (Blend No. 71) For 100g is $18.34

This Was A Gift ~ I Would Have Never Paid That Kind of Money For ONLY 100g of Pipe Tobacco ~N~ I'm Not Cheap Either

BUT ~ Its Your Money Thier Taking ~N~ ONLY Given U A 100g of Pipe Tobacco

Stay Away From Purchasing ~ Reiner Long Golden Flake (Blend No. 71) 100g For $18.34 ~ Until They Come Too A Reasonable Price For Only 100g of Pipe Tobacco

Thx U In Advance For Taking The Time Too Read This Report

buckeyedave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
buckeyedave (2)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the tobacco that got me interested in virginia-perique blends. Every time I try it I can't get over how rich and complex the taste is. You would have to really be puffing like a mad man to ever get any bite. The last quarter of the bowl is especially rich and elegant. LGF is quite possibly my favorite pipe tobacco. This blend is simply not to be missed. It is easily worth the price.

mainepuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainepuffer (2)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just when I thought I had settled down for the long haul with My Mixture 965, gotten into a love affair with it, I had to go and try LGF. Well, it was literally love at first puff, and continued to just get better. I also enjoy Anniversary Cake, and am becoming ever more devoted to the Virginias, in all of their myriad presentations. My wife likes the room note of aromatics, of course, but in my studio VAs will rule.

I smoke while I paint, and often I almost forget that I am puffing away as I become engrossed in the work at hand. Now, I have to push my chair back and simply sit and enjoy this tobacco. No bite, unless one gets just too eager and forgets to sip. Burns to a nice white ash, but I seldom smoke all the way to the bottom of any bowl.

I believe I am going to have to get another Savinelli 316 KS and dedicate it to this excellent mixture.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my first Reiner blend. The price is enough to make you delay, but I find this blend worth the price.

As stated this is a Virginia/perique/burley blend. The key word is blend. The ratios of the three are perfect......primarily Va. a pinch of perique, and a hint of burley. Being a Va. enthusiast this is just right.

I find this flake's moisture perfect from the can.....a good thing since I hate to pay for water at this price. With a gentle rub out this blend is very easy to pack, light, and smoke. Most times this is a one match bowl, and what a bowl it is. Words like smooth, natural, flavorfull come to mind. I will be ordering several more tins of this fine blend for the cellar (if I can avoid immediate gratification)

Rate

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)

I told co-reviewer "Mo in South Africa" that I would try out this Virginia/Perique blend, having never smoked it before, and compare it to famous "Escudo". I had a tin languishing in my so-called "cellar" and cracked it open this past weekend. As has been described elsewhere, Reiner's Long Golden Flake ("LGF") is unique in that it consists of a long roll of beautiful golden brown tobacco; it is not cut into squares or rubbed out in any way. I broke off a quantity from the end of the tobacco roll sufficient to fill a truly massive Paul Perri billiard with a plateau rim------ at least a two hour smoke. I jammed the tobacco into the with a minimal rub out. It took about three charring lights before the tobacco was properly ignited----- not unusual, given the density and size of the flakes. The smoke was creamy, mellow, naturally sweet and effusive. To me, it tastes like Orlik's Golden Slices with the addition of Perique for added interest. And I think this is high praise indeed. The spiciness of the "touch of Perique" made itself known about a quarter of the way through and remained in the background thereafter. This is a superbly well-made blend, absolutely delicious,and unique in its appearance, all of which makes it a "fun", memorable blend. But how does it compare to Escudo? In my opinion these two pipe tobacco are the best Virginia/Perique ("VA/Per") blends currently in existence. I give Escudo a grade of "A" and LGF a grade of "A-", but only because I like Perique and I believe Escudo had slightly more than LGF. If you like less Perique in your blend, then you may reverse the grades given. But there's maybe a dime's worth of difference between these two VA/Pers. LGF is highly recommended and should be in your "top ten".

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I detect something artificial (sweetened?) in tin aroma, taste and side-stream smoke, yet the ash is free of evidence of sugar or saucing.

This is not a mild smoke and it does become harsh if allowed to heat up. Pack it into a clean pipe and "sip" but do not inhale. Perhaps it was meant for those who use filter pipes? Just watch the tongue burn and dry this out a bit. "Breaking the flakes" without rubbing them out delivers a happy compromise of burn and flavor for me.

There are retailers on the web that describe this as containing oriental leaf. It does not. It is more along the lines of MOB 111, Orlik Golden Sliced, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and such. It is superior to the ghastly Escudo of late, and less "emotional" than Haddo's Delight. The nicotine content provides a pleasant jolt.

It has a different personality than Solani 633 (also blended by Reiner L. Will). 633 has less Perique and is milder. LGF is more austere. Where 633 is hospitable and easily approachable, LGF requires patience and persistence to make friends. LGF is also more complex and "deeper" than 633.

LGF actually improves down the bowl and the last third crescendos, even if each layer stands on its own. Imbibe if you enjoy Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

First off, I have to touch on what this stuff looks like coming out of the can. I received this in a New to Pipes trade. It came in a big golden 100g can that looked like a gaudy German Christmas gift. Very little of the writing on the can is in English and most of it is in German. And there really isn?t a description of what is inside the can. Anyway, when I popped the lid I was very surprised to find what was inside. It had a total of 3 flakes in there that were about 4 inches wide and 15 inches long all wound up in there begging to be rubbed out. They looked like FVF flakes on steroids to be exact.

The tin aroma was very ?Virginia-ey? with the normal dried fruit (raisons, dates, etc) smell wafting from inside. I could smell a little bit of Perique in there but not much. The flakes themselves were very golden in color (hence the name) but there were dark flecks mixed in here and there.

I went ahead and rubbed out the whole tin because I?m not what you would call skilled at smoking tobacco in its flaked form. I usually end up getting frustrated and then being mad the whole smoke so I just avoid that by rubbing it out fully. Once this was at the consistency that I like I went ahead and packed a bowlful. The tobacco was a bit moist but nothing like McC?s 2015 or some other blends that I have seen.

Lighting this up was fairly easy. I think it took about 3 matches to finally get this one going. During the first half of the bowl this was pretty much a sweet Virginia smoke. The Perique would slide in and out every once in awhile making its presence known but was not the main component of the first half of the bowl. I would say that the first part of this smoke was going rather well. It was a very smooth, easy smoke. Based on the taste I can tell that this blend has a lot of high quality tobacco in it. Once the blend got going I didn?t have to relight during the first half.

In the second half of this blend, the Perique seemed to make an appearance more often and with a bit more strength. And the blend turned a bit creamier smooth and had a bit of a buttery taste to it. I know that this blend also is supposed to have a bit of White Burley in it so that may have brought about the creamy, buttery taste. I?m not sure. It was very pleasant however.

Overall, this is a very well put together blend and is made with some high quality tobacco. It has an initial flavor very similar to FVF but has some different taste undertones as you progress through the smoke. The price is another concern for me. While this is a fantastic blend, unless I win the lottery someday it will be in my rotation only as a ?treat? smoke and not a daily smoke. If money is not a problem for you then I would say buy a few tins. One to smoke now and a few to cellar. If money is a problem for you then I would suggest that you try this at least once in your pipe smoking lifetime. It?s worth the extra $$ to try once.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a truly great blend, I think the reviews below do justice to this blend, I think that Eulenberg says it best and I quote " When I smoke this I am in HEAVEN, HEAVEN, and my heart beats so fast I can hardly speak" He also goes on to describe the Golden Virginia as a "Scrotem tingling delicacy" Smoke this and experience the ultimate a pipe can give. Mo, South Africa. I think this is the 19999th review on this site, good luck to whoever gets the 20000th. Merry Xmas and a happy new year to all pipers. ps I hope that before I submit this review someone beat me to it and I get the 20000th, lol

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

This is absolutely a fine quality tobacco. It's one of the few flakes I prefer to smoke in flake form as opposed to rubbed. Rubbing out makes this flake a little harsh and it has plenty of flavor anyway. Easy to light, easy to smoke, but the perique jumps out if you push it. Not my favorite flake, but I enjoy it a lot.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased a tin of this tobacco when I could not get Laurel Flake (made for Knoxville Cigar Company by Samuel Gawith - they were "sold out"). I was specifically looking for a similar blend and this did not disappoint.

Although this flake is lighter in color and perhaps a little softer than Laurel Flake, the taste and aroma are similar. The addition of Burley hightens the nutty taste, and it is a little less plummey (perhaps less Perique). I am also guessing that Long Golden Flake is not stoved (The darker and slightly harder feel of Luarel Flake leads me to believe it is stoved.) There usually is some measure of Turkish leaf in all Virginia flakes to balance it, but who knows what it is.

This tobacco is "top shelf". There is no drek, dust or broken leaf in the tin, just a long roll of beautiful flake which rubs out easily. I detected no top dressing or flavoring, just the characteristic Virginia/Turkish flake aroma with Perique. The tobacco lighted easily (moisture content was perfect)and burned well without too many re-lights. It did not overheat, even when I caught myself puffing too heavily. It did not bite my tongue or assualt my palete and was just a wonderful smoke. LGF and LF will be steady favorites.

michaelbevilacqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelbevilacqua (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

LGF Blend 71 is my very first tobacco. I purchased the 100g tin along with a Dunhill Dress 3407. Presentation of this tobacco in its very well engineered tin is impressive. I still use the tin to this day to store like flakes. The long, golden strips of beautiful tobacco rolled up into the can are easily inspected prior to breaking and packing. Well worth the price when you are able.

For myself, this is an outdoor tobacco, one enjoyed many times by the camp fire. The Virginia's are boldly present and give a strong tobacco room note if smoked indoors, much to the dislike of many of my non-smoking friends. The taste is definitely Virginia with the subtle hint of Perique. Finally, if not smoked slowly this blend will bite the tounge, although I can not imagine why one would smoke such a fine tobacco in a rush.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (20)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Reiner Long Golden Flake is one of the best Virginia/Perique tobaccos I've tried (and I've tried a lot of them, being primarily a Virginia smoker). The tin aroma is great and the taste even better: lots of sweet Virginia character, the right amount of Perique (just enough to let you know it's there) and a little Burley to add some nice toasty overtones. The flavor is pretty consistent throughout the bowl, with the Periqure predominating at the beginning and the Burley toward the end. While no flavoring is mentioned in the product description, I suspect there is one, although it is definitely in the background and blends well with the taste of the tobaccos. Overall, it reminds me of freshly baked ginger bread -- rich and delicious.

Like all flakes, LGF require a bit of preparation but it's easy to light (i.e., good moisture content), burns steadily and cleanly, and does not bite as long as it's smoked slowly (as all Virginias should be).

If you are a Virginia lover, there's a lot to like here. LGF is definitely one of the best. A little pricey, but well worth the money.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

LGF, is my #1 tobak in the cargo bin. In the right pipe, this sings. Sharp bite initially, but, settles into cruise quickly to the end. Beautiful presentation with long strips of tobak that smells wonderful in the paint can. Have both old and new tins and the quality is the same thru out.A good Va/P with a touch of burley that seems to stay in the background during the journey! Enjoy, and keep the sunny-side up!

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)

Heaven in a paint can. When I first popped the lid and tried it, I found it somewhat harsh, I had to put it away for the winter while I healed from dental surgery. When I came back to it, I thought it would be a dried out husk. Nope. In fact, it seemed to have dried perfectly and is simply one of the best smokes I've had. It's smooth, behaves, stays lit. It gets a little wet, but that is probably because I am a greedy huffer. Some have commented on its monochrone taste, but I think there is more interplay here than in many VA's.

I smoked this in a Stanwell HCA churchwarden. While this would probably be considered by many to be mild in the nicotine content, by the end of the bowl I had to stop because I could feel nicotine queasiness I don't usually suffer. It can sneak up on you, so be mindful.

My tin is different than what I see on online sites selling it. It is called Blend 71 rather than Long Golden Flake.

I am usually a straight VA smoker. This blend easily stands with Rattray's and SG Full Virginia Flake and I intend to keep this in stock.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was a bit hesitant in trying this tobacco as I'm a Virginia smoker per se'. Not knowing how much Burley was in the mix was a concern. To my delight, the amount of Burley is comparatively small... and it does provide a "creamy" taste yet not overly so.

The balance is exceptional and while not complex, this straightfoward tobacco has become one of my favorites. The room note is also superb... and I've yet to encounter anyone who hasn't commented on how good the tobacco smells.

I most often smoke this in a straight billiard size 5 pipe and do not rub out the flake much at all. An easy light, this tobacco burns even and smooth and a few tamps is all that's necessary to enjoy a full bowl.

This is a pleasant change for the more matured Virginia plugs I normally smoke but it has a place in my rotation and goes well with a scotch or coffee.

...a pipe is to be savored

Pipers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers (19)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This must be one of the best virginia/burley tobaccos on the market. Very easy to smoke and a wonderfully rich taste.However, 1 thing: this tobacco lacks complexity. It will smokes in a monotone. Very well belnded. No bite at all. Highly recommended.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Long Golden Flake.25/02/07. This is absolute perfection in it's own class without doubt. Only two lights were required with each bowl,then it was happy delicious uncomplicated sailing all the way to bowls end. What a treat this tobacco is compared to some other blends that can be so...demanding! I didn't have to suffer any tongue bite at all,which is always rewarding in it self compared to some other blends of this nature. It offers a very pure clean smoke with an all round soft flavour,without being boring. I sum this up as clean,straight forward,no goop and uncomplicated.It's most attractive in every way. "Hihly recomended"

lisztman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lisztman (15)

I think LoisKelly said most of it best. (Find the review -- 10/2004)

I've spent the last 3-4 months experimenting with the light VaPers. And I'm !not! a fan of Burley -- which almost scared me off this one. The Perique is just enough to provide a touch of tang and character. The burley is most definitely there -- but the finished product doesn't taste like burley. What it ends up tasting like is the softest, sweetest smoke this side of who-knows-where. If the Almighty is a pipe smoker, this well could be His blend.

Less Perique punch than GH CR Flake. Smoother than the Orlik red (the most likely candidate, right now, to become my "regular", and one fine tobacco in its own right -- so saying this is better is like saying platinum is better than gold).

Yes, it's pricey. That will keep it from being my mainstay. But that gorgeous little golden paint can keeps pulling me back, saying, "yeah, forget that it's fifteen bucks a pop. One fantastic smoke is only a quarter." I find it highly unlikely that anyone (ok, there is Darwin...) will be disappointed. Five stars out of four.

mcowbell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mcowbell (3)

I'm not keen on perique, being very sensitive to it. That said, this is the best VaPer I've ever had (I've tried 'em all), and the only one in my stockpile. Several things are distinctive. First, the presentation is absolutely top notch. I just love the long wide flakes in the can. Plain 'ol fun. The moisture content is perfect. The perique is truly condimental in the sense I never think - Oh, there's that perique again. It is blended so well that the flavors form a wonderful singular melange that ebbs and flows in character without ever truly departing from its range. The smoke is exquisitely thick in density and volume, even for small puffs. Very satisfying. I came to LGF a skeptic but leave a believer. Everyone should try this once, especially the newbies. Start 'em on the good stuff.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is at the top of Virginia/Perique mixtures like 'Haddo's Delight' and 'St. James Woods'. It comes in a beautiful gold 'paint can' revealing a beautiful singular flake of VA, perique, and white burley with the perfect moisture content to pack and puff. If this blend was a car, it would be noted for it's mid range acceleration. This is because at mid-bowl, the VA and burley harmonize and the perique zest gets you in the zone. Nasal exhalation at every few puffs is the way to smoke this stuff. It has little bite, but slow and steady is the way to go for a smoke of such quality. The room note will not win accolades. I was told "It smells like ass" 4 stars!!!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Ranking in my book as one of the best flakes available, va/per smokers will love this flake. Not my personal favorite but it ranks among the very best. It's easy to pack, lights with ease and provides a long, cool burning smoke. The tin aroma is sweet, grassy and natural with no indication of flavorings added. This blend is well worth the price.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)

Ok, you guys talked me into it...my tin just arrived in the mail and I have my best dunhill grp 4 cleaned up and ready to party. Just sampled a few other blends in this line to great satisfaction so lets pop this baby and see what happens. Appearance: looks like a rolled up snake carcass and smells like one...a good thing. Obviously top quality tobacco. The light: I must have died and gone to VaPer heaven! Nothing to add other than it was a bit moist and smoked a little steamy. Pipestud...I luv ya man! Enjoy

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

In deference to the reader faced with so many reviews, I'll just say this blend is so terrific I've hardly smoked anything else since I first tried it. See reviews by the esteemed Eulenberg and LoisKelly for more elucidation. First rate.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

WOW, for this English tobacco lover to rate this tobacco up in the range of his beloved 965, is an accomplishment of the highest order. This is an exceptional tobacco, with a buttery/nutty flavor and with a hint of sweetness. The Perique in this blend is so light or of such quality that it is barely noticeable, except for some delicious tang. It was truly a stroke of genius to add some high quality burley to a high quality Virginia/Perique blend, all at just the perfect proportions. Slow puffing will reward you with the fullest flavor. Although this review is done after only smoking 100 g?s, I plan to keep some of this on hand at all times.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Long Golden Flake lights easily, burns slow, cool and even, is easy on the tongue and the flakes are absolutely beautiful. Akin to Escudo and Haddo's but it has it's own thing going on. This is a very rich mix that is absolutely delicious!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

It?s all been said and most agree this is a fine tobacco. I do too. I should only add that sometimes, not always, in the first third of the bowl, LGF presents a grass-like/hay-like/straw-like taste then recedes. Mid to late bowl the taste evolves into a smoother, sweeter, and citrusy taste. The perique is quite muted just the way I prefer. All in all, a nice blend that?s easy and pleasant on the palate with no bite. I find LGF very similar to but better than Orlick Golden Sliced (red).

I rate this tobacco 8.5 out of 10

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

I am not much of a burley fan. Therefore, I was somewhat hesitant to give this one a try. I was pleasently surprised as I found this to be a very good smoke. It is easily lit and burns very well. There is a nice slightly sweet taste and has a mild complexity. The perique just barely makes its presence known. The burley is very light in flavor and strength and should not frighten anyone away as it did me. It provides a delicate nutty aftertaste. LGF has an intresting trait - at least for me. It actually seems to get milder near the bottom of the bowl! A very good tobacco with a nice aroma that most bystanders will like. Highly Recommended!

Not much else to say. It ranks up there with Escudo and Haddo's and yet very much retains its own identity. Don't let the term grassy fool you. All though the term is appropriate, this is a very rich mix. Absolutely delicious!

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)

The other reviewers have done such a fine job describing this tobacco that I shall not inhibit the reader with my own in-depth notes. I bought a tin of this after reading the praises of the other fine reviewers, and was not disappointed in the least. This is GREAT tobacco. The perique is very much in the background, yet does intermingle its sensations throughout the bowl. The burley crispens up the experience nicely. A good candidate for an all-day smoke for virginia lovers.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well, I second the Anise note in the tin aroma...very, very faint but it's certainly there. I do not notice it in the smoking however. Ok, yes, the tin is lovely; yes, the flakes are hugh and very nice; yes, the lighting is mild and a pleasant beginning. Following that I am amazed that this tobacco stays to mild and sweet, sweet, sweet all the way down. Not much change in the bowl as it goes but that's OK as the flavor is so lovely. Of course, this is except for just an itty bitty hint of Perique a little way in - such a deft touch. This is indeed a premium business in every sense of the term. (4.8 out of 5.0)

Today I had Bob's Chocolate Flake for breakfast (so to speak), Bjarne Flake de Luxe for later in the morning, then the Reiner Long in the early afternoon (just right, I'm thinking) and later after dinner some Esoterica Margate. All in all I'd say it's been a pretty damn good day! All of those I "discovered" here, as my local tobacconist (a generous term to be sure) doesn't know squat except to push the stuff in all the jars. Thanks gents!

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)

I just picked up this tobacco today, but I can already tell that it's a keeper. I'm on my third bowl today and it just keeps on getting better. The tobacco is packaged in strips about seven inces long and three inches thick. It's easy to tear off an end and it rubs out easily. The tobacco is a great golden-amber colour and the smell upon opening the tin is high quality Virginia leaf with just a bit of citrus and rasin. Lighting the tobacco is easy and it will stay lit right down to the heel with no gurgle. The tobacco starts quite mild but matures quickly into a full-bodied rich smoke. The flavour is mainly Virginia with just a touch of spicy Perique and a hint of nuttyness that I assume comes from the burley in the mixture. The nicotine strength of the tobacco increases as you hit the bottom third of the bowl but the flavour stays well rounded and pleasant never bocoming harsh even when smoking the last bit of dottle. I'd reccomend this to anyone who enjoys a good Virginia perique blend. And even those who don't because chances are that this tobacco will change their minds.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am just going to add my 2 cents to this long line of 4-5 star ratings. I just acquired my first tin of this magical weed today and after having a bowlful, I decided to write a review. Only because I have to agree the previous reviews. The tin presentation is very unique with long 2" wide strips rolled loosely in a large paint can type tin. I tore off some tobacco and rubbed it out in the palm of my hands. It was not overly moist at all, just right.Loaded up and puffed away. Had to relight once and continued to enjoy this wonderful virginia flake spiced with some burley and perique. It is wonderful. This has to be my new favorite Va/Perique blend. The perique is very subtle but definitely there. Very mild and gorgeous. No tongue bite, smooth and highly recommended. 4 1/2 stars.

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)

Reiner Long Golden Flake is a remarkable tobacco in many ways. Previous reviews have voiced the superlative qualities of this blend, and I'm going to add my voice to the crowd.

I really like the tin this is packaged in - it's a "paint pot" type lid which fits snugly back into place and keeps the tobacco fresh for a long time. The tobacco came out of the tin at just the right moisture level, and has maintained that since opening.

The presentation of the tobacco is marvelous - not a broken flake or a plug cut into gum-sized strips, these are HUGE flakes. Ribbons appear to have been cut from a whole cake, rolled up, and placed in the tin. The color is marvelous - golden brown VA shot through with darker Perique and bright VA and burley threads.

Tin aroma is fabulous. Instantly recognizable as a VA/Perique blend, it's bright, fruity, and mouth-watering. My first impression was of a well-fermented exotic black tea - floral, spicy, fruity.

Tear off a chunk of ribbon and rub it out - the aroma intensifies. Rubbed fully, this packs and lights easily. The high proportion of bright Virginia demands that you smoke this slowly, and it's using this technique that the best flavors emerge - citrusy, slightly spicy, fruity. This is an excellent smoke. The burley is undetectable in the taste except perhaps as a re-enforcement for the deeper flavors, as this is a very bright tobacco. For comparison, the flavor is similar to Solani 633, but lighter and more refined.

I highly recommend this. Everyone should smoke this flake at least once as an example of how good VA/Per blends can be.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I normally have a hard time with flake tobaccos. I'll be the first to admit it's probably my fault. I bought this on a recommendation from a friend and was a little worried I had wasted my money on a tobacco that would burn me badly. Boy was I surprised. It's not often that I smoke two bolws of a new tobacco and know it's one for the cellar. It's an odd tobacco in one respect for me. The first few puffs are hot, but after the enbers stabilize the smoke cools down dramatically and delivers a fabulous smoking experience. I have 20 tins of this stuff on order and plan to continue buying tins for the future. It is great stuff to smoke right now , but there is obvious potential for developement in the cellar. I highly reccommend this for anyone even mildly interested in perique/va blends.

An unusual presentation of a continuous flake ~ 3" wide that has been rolled into the tin. I just pull pieces from the roll and easily evenly pack them since the moisture content is ideal. A cool smoke even if mistreated and with little condensation. The taste is varied thru the smoke and becomes stronger and richer but never bitter. I just taste quality tobacco from start to finish and really enjoy this blend. However in 1/02, it cost me ~ $75/# via a web purchase. Too costly for an everyday smoke but great for a special treat. However, my final recommendation is based on my overall impressions without consideration of cost.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: This is a spicy, pungent smell, and the burley component is impossible to detect. The virginias used are very high grade, and almost overpoweringly fragrant. The oddest part of this aroma is that I swear that I detect the smell of Anise in here. It doesn't really show up in the flavor, but from the aroma, I am convinced it is used in this blend.

Physical Characteristics: This is a strikingly large flake. Each of the four or five flakes rolled into a 100 gram tin are easily 7 inches long and about 3 inches wide. The flakes themselves are very 'bright' in appearance, with the overall tone running to a lemon or light brown color. Initially, the flakes are very soft and pliable, but tend to flake out a little bit as they dry out. Perhaps any flake tobacco will do this when it dries and it is just more noticable here due to the size of the individual flakes. Some careful trimming will allow one to come out with a portion of flake of a suitable size for rolling up to load ones pipe, but rubbing these out is by far less trouble. This flake rubs out easily, and packs nicely, though it did give me some fits if I didn't allow it to dry a little bit first.

Notes: The first puffs of this are mellow and understated, a nice friendly handshake before getting down to the brass tacks of the smoke. The Perique is high quality, and seems to me to be real Lousiana Perique, as opposed to the 'Los Angeles' variety in vogue with some blenders, which lends a spicy note to their blends, but is immediately recognizable as an imposter to anyone who has ever compared the two side by side. The strength gradually increases throughout the first half of the smoke, until it reaches a nicely spicy point, at which point it plateaus and remains pretty constant throughout the rest of the bowl.

Verdict: This couldn't have hit the market at a better time for me. I am, as of this year, really beginning to enjoy virginia flakes. This is a nice mellow summer smoke, and forgiving enough that Virginia neophytes like myself can enjoy a well blended virginia/perique flake without turning our tongues into charcoal. A keeper.