Top-grade, smoky, black Latakia comes to us in bales from Cyprus. We cut it in ribbon form. It is cool-smoking and very fragrant. Add a little to your medium mixture to create "fuller" blends.

Blended ByMcClelland
Taste
Strong

3.2
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Smokey and woodsy with some sweetness as you would expect this to be. If you want to smoke it straight, use a small bowl. Once was enough for me. As a mixer, it does very well no matter how much or little you use. It always works well with other tobaccos.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (24)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

This is a tough one to rate as I have not smoked it by itself. However it's a great addition to ho-hum blends that otherwise just aren't doing it for me. Think of it as having pepper or salt available during a meal; every piper should have some of this around.

Pipe Used: cobs

Purchased From: SP.com

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

No matter how I've used this, I love it, and I don't use the word love in anything. That's how much I love it. It goes without saying that it's one dimensional, but sometimes just pure (one thing) is what you want...whenever the spirit moves you. For the most part, I use it a blending agent, but once in a while I want just plain pure excellent Latakia, and this is it for me.

Adding 1/3 of this to light bases, such as ECR VA and anything else that goes with Lat, and you'll be set. It is super for the price. Everything about it as an enhancer it perfect. For me anyway. If you like Latakia, play around with it. You can't go wrong. It's just a flat-out fine tobacco.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

For those venturing into blending their own mixtures, or a piper wanting to add a bit more body to existing blends, you cannot go wrong with this leaf from McClellands. Dark and rich in the can, thick, heady and creamy in the bowl.

Some suggest not to smoke with straight, I must disagree. You would not smoke it straight for the enjoyment, but to learn exactly what the latakia does to contribute to a blend.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Ok, if you're going to blend as I do (amateur level only), I think you have to smoke this straight at least once (once is enough!) which I did. It's not as overpowering as I feared as the straight perique is. It's actually quite tasty but a little too one dimensional.

As a blending tobacco, it's excellent. I do screwy things with this like mixing it half and half with blends like Mac Baren's Virginia #1 or SG FVF, rubbing out the flakes to make the cuts fairly consistent. I also make blends with this, orientals, and burleys. It's fun to blend and this condiment definitely lends its voice to the mix, often too loudly. High quality tobacco and a must for amateur blenders. Good smoky flavor.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent Latakia. I find it smoother, smokier and sweeter than Robert MacConnell Pure Latakia, and I like this one straight, while the Syrian version is tolerable yet not enjoyable.

For blending, I also prefer this one over Pure Latakia 80% of the times. Great stuff.

petrisz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
petrisz (3)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Although having smoked a great variety of Latakia blends throughout the years smoking straight Latakia was still educational. This tobacco is not meant to be smoked straight but as a condiment. Nevertheless I did enjoy this mono-dimensional but very clean and straightforward smoke. The tobacco burns very easily, the smoke is super cool and it has a low Nicotine content. I've successfully enhanced a bit uninspiring blend with this Latakia. But I'm also sure that this was not the last time I smoked this Latakia straight.

Pipe Used: meersch

Purchased From: 4noggins

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Smoked on it's own it is not bad but not something I'll do very often. My first attempt at blending invovled the following:

50% Half&Half, 40% Prince Albert and the rest the latakia, overall I was impressed and pleased.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Superb, full, smoky, with something sweet.

As I wrote 55 to 65% of Wellauer & Co Inglese Blend and the rest of this Latakia.

What are you looking for more!!!!

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Put a pinch of this in a cob and give it a try straight, just for the experience (it actually tastes great) but do NOT do this inside. Your wife just thinks your cigars stink. One whiff of straight latakia and she'll never complain about the stogies again.

But, that being said, I remain of the conviction that practically every blend of tobacco cn be helped by either a little latakia or a lot of latakia. Even with sweet aromatics it's like the salt in the cake mix.

As with anything else, judge this tobacco for wht it is, not what it isn't. It's a blending agent, not the blend. And a little can go a long way.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Bulk: Deep, coal black, broad cut form. Although not sticky, the tobacco can be pressed into a ball. Smoky Latakia aroma.

Burn Qualities: Did not burn well at all.. It took numerous relights and a lot of puffing; with a little drying, easier to keep lit.

Taste & Aroma: Rich, smooth, smoky, leathery, woodsy. An almost sweet aspect. Not overpowering, medium in strength.

Nicotine: Medium, not the "Latakia blast" that was expected.

Overall: Like some other McClelland blending tobaccos, not overly remarkable; middle of the road blending tobacco.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium None Detected Full Very Strong

It does not get any easier that this, pop the tin and blend to your hearts content. It has an average moisture content and blends well with just about any other similarly cut tobacco. The tin note is obviously of leather and smoke (your wife will think of horse shit) it is pretty straight forward blend smoke and enjoy.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (74)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

This is great Latakia for experimental blending, or for those who think Virginias and Orientals are wastes of Latakia space in English mixtures.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Naturally, a blending tobacco is not normally smoked "straight". I make a lot of different original blends and I use this particular Latakia exclusively.

Ease of use is great, it remains at the right moisture content in the tin, is not too sticky when handling and gives a nice cool smokey flavor to any blend you can create.

Whenever I design a blend containing a lot of hotter-burning leaves I add a certain amount of this to ease the "bite-and-burn" affect.

If you feel like creating your own custom blend or just want to boost the Latakia content in your favorite blend, this stuff is great to have on hand.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

This is Cyprian Latakia by McClelland. It is used in many of their blends. I love latakia but I believe that the Syrian is far superior to its Cyprian cousin. The difference between the two is supposed to be derived from the materials used to stove the curing fires. With this blending Cyprian, you get decent latakia textures but, it does little more than pass the grade of "generic." For those of you who love latakia, go with Gawith & Hoggart's straight blending Syrian Latakia. I have a really awesome old-time tobacco shop that I get all my stuff from. This latakia from G&H is not listed in the reviews but, will blow your socks off.

Stormrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stormrider (14)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Okay, I know this stuff is only for blending, but frankly, it smells like horse manure, even in a sealed ziploc bag. I know tobaccos don't always taste the way they smell, but so far I haven't noticed any improvement achieved by adding this to anything.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

October-2003. Blending Latakia. For blending this is great for adding more punch to various tobacco's. Good pure latakia flavour,but a little to strong to smoke straight.Honest in everyway.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

I purchased a tin of this to try as a blender for my various concoctions. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by medium length, broad-cut dark leaf. The tin aroma is of musty, leathery straight latakia. Packing is easy, but I only pack half a bowl of this leaf at a time. It tastes sweet, leathery and smooth. Don't be decieved, it is full rich latakia and you won't be able to taste much else the rest of the day after smoking this. As a blender, I have found it wonderful. I have mixed it with various other tobacs and the interplay is wonderful. It mixes well with syrian latakia as well. Here is a blend you may want to try: 30% of this, 20% of syrian latakia, 10% burley ribbon, 40% "cumberland". Rating: for blending 5 out of 5 points. Enjoy...