The mildest and smoothed of pipe tobaccos. This is a mild, smooth, rich pipe tobacco that improves throughout the smoke, owing to the slow release of the flavors inherent in the top quality leaf used in the blend. The aroma tends toward wild honey and, perhaps, pecan.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish
FlavoringHoney, Pecan
Strength
Taste

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

The burley is nutty sweet with a minor earth note, while the Virginia cavendish is slightly grassy with a touch of citrus. The black cavendish offers only a hint of vanilla, so it must be unsweetened. The honey and pecan toppings are mild, and only slightly flash off toward the finish. The toppings do sublimate the tobaccos. Has very little nicotine. Doesn't bite. Needs some dry time, and will still leave moisture in the bottom of the bowl. Needs some relights. Burns cool with no harshness, but the flavor just doesn't seem as good in the last quarter. The after taste is rather plain. An all day smoke.

blueconvoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blueconvoy (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I tell you what....this Mellow Mack delivers on what it promises on the label. A mild and smooth smoke. It'll smack you with its mellowness. Personally i find the blend too bland because i prefer something with stronger in taste and a gentle nicotine kick..something that Mellow Mack won't do for me. But i just love the quality and texture of the smoke it gives. So i found a way to get the best out of it when i mix it with a little Irish flake and...i got the best out of it. Now....Mellow mack has become my base tobacco in which i do my own mix with other tobaccos according to my own feel on that particular day...I'd recommend Mellow Mack but not on its own....Enjoy...!

Pipe Used: Charles Rattray's Glory Day Poker

partagas83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
partagas83 (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm french so don't look at my english!! So, in france, the tobacco choice is very poor... Thank you internet wich allows to find and buy some good tobacco like MELLOW MACK!! It's very good: this is the first aromatic wich don't bit the tongue, very light, very easy to smoke. The taste is very good during and after smoke. I higly recommand it!!

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As fine an aromatic as I have ever personally smoked. What a surprise -- I expected a gooey aromatic with no flavor. Instead, I puffed on a Burley blend with backbone and subtle sweetness. The combination satisfied my urge for nicotine and my family's urge to whiff something pleasant from my pipes. There is no bite and I can smoke this rapidly and often. This is a great change of pace tobacco.

jedibastard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jedibastard (24)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Well..........hmmm.......im not sure how i can put this without sounds like a pipe snob. But i dig a good aro, or a good cheap OTC aro, so i cant be too stuck up.

But.

This isnt good. Plain and simple.

It smells fantastic from the tin. Sticky. With a beautiful cut and color. Super easy to pack a bowl. But make sure you let this dry some.

It burns hot. Some gurgle in the stem, and will bite if you puff too fast. And by that, i mean more then a puff and the thought of another puff. Captain black doesnt bite this much!!!!

Once in awhile you get a sweet flavor out of this. But dont count on it.

Room note is great!!!! I just wish it tasted as good..........

Andersson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andersson (14)

So, I guess keywords for this one are: mild & pleasant. Though not only because of them I do recommend it, but also of a nice feeling of light aromatics which, let me say, blended perfectly in this tobacco. Had a really good hours smoking this fella.

Jay... Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jay... (6)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is an easy to smoke blend with no bite and a great taste. It's light flavour and very pleasant room note makes it a staple in my rotation.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: www.tobaccoblends.com.au

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very wet, tasteful yet cloying aromatic blend. It is far too wet upon opening and does mot dry very fast thus it produces a hot and goopy smoke in the pipe. It is a ribbon cut, dark brown in color and once packed requires many relight to keep lit. It is the type of aromatic that gives aros a bad name. While the flavor is not bad, kind of a syrupy flavor it just burns too hot. It does have a heavenly cotton candy smelling room note though. If it would ever dry out it might mot be a bad blend for when one has a sweet tooth, but so far I think it will stay moist into the next century.

Pipe Used: briars

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Billed as mild, smooth and rich. Delivered very mild, somewhat smooth, and less than rich. Initial puffs delivering sweet toasted pecans, matching the tin note, were fleeting. After getting into this, the pecan faded to a distant memory, replaced predominantly with a decent (but not the smoothest) burley/woody flavor. Stayed lit well, and burned down to a fine ash. In this case, a high 2 that doesn't reach the 3 mark.

Pipe Used: Savinelli w/Balsa 6mm

Age When Smoked: Tin date 08-APR-2003

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Mellow Mack... Another in my search for that ultimate aromatic, were all looking for. I picked this blend, because more times than not, I end up with a Mc Cllelland blend as my top choice anyway, so for me, it's always a good place to start. The tin says, mild and smooth. No argument there, in fact its so mild and smooth, that it is no longer a consideration in my search. I find it lacking in both strength and flavor, at least for my beat-up palet. From what I can see, this is a very well crafted blend. Totally without harshness or tongue bite, and a must try, for most aromatic lovers. But be warned, if you prefer more of a “in your-face blend” this one may not be it. For what it is 2.5 stars. My personal rating 1.5 / 5

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)

This was my first McClelland aromatic. Bottom line...just ok. Nothing special here. C&D and Peterson maake better aromatics in my opinion.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

What is it about McClelland? They are consummate artists, no matter what they try their hand at. They may not always be successful (Royal Cajun Special, eg), but they always produce quality. I finally got around to trying their aromatics, and they've achieved a perfection with this genre like they have with their virgnias and their english (though balkans seem to elude them).

I've been searching for an aromatic I can say I enjoy without qualification, and I have found one with Mellow Mack. They have it just right -- it's not at all goopy and cloying, but dry and delicate and velvety. It's what a creamy Belgian confection is to a Hershey's bar; or what a fine muscat is to a wine cooler. Delicately sweet with a subtle honey and pecan essence as advertised, it's a compellingly elegant flavor with a terrific room note. It's the first aromatic I've tried I would consider a masterpiece. In fact, I don't think I've ever gone through a 50g tin so quickly.

Smells great in the tin, packs beautifully with a delicate hand, stays lit without problem, burns to a fine ash without any dottle, easily fills the mouth with billows of delightful nectar, and will not bite you not matter how hard you puff at it. Highly recommended for the non-aromatic smoker willing to try a gourmet dessert smoke.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

10/04/2004: I rate this as a four star smoke only in the catagory of American Aromatics. Too much flavoring and softening agents for a frequent smoke. When in the mood for something to please a crowd, this one does the job. Smells great, tastes o.k.

11/17/2006 Update: Original review still applies. Am down-rating as it is no longer in my rotation. Tastes change.

This is a top quality American style aromatic. The tin aroma is very much like a pecan brownie.

The tin I purchased was three years old. There was no vinegar smell, and the moisture level was perfect.

Packs, lights, and smokes quite easily. Not too wet. There are hints of licorice weaving between the chocolate and pecan. The tobacco taste is nearly absent.

Afterwards, I had a pleasant aftertaste, so the tobacco is of good quality. I would recommend this as a step up from Lane or Altadis aromatics. If you like all natural tobacco, you should of course skip this. I doubt I will purchase any more, but it isn't bad.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

09-20-04 Well, it is definitely mellow!

Apearance and tin aroma: Medium Ribbon, nutty tina aroma, yes like pecans.

Packing and Lighting: Easy, lights right up inspite of casing.

Initial Flavor: The cavendish tastes a little green to me.

Mid-Bowl: Nutty and cavendish, I'm not liking this one.

Bottom of Bowl: not much build up of strength, a little bitter, some dottle, but not too much.

Overall: This one didn't work for me. I didn't like the casing or the cavendish used in this blend. Tried in several pipes dedicated to aromatics, even a cob, but still couldn't get over the flavor. After half a tin, gave the rest away. This is a high quality aromatic that some of you may like, but the flavor just did not work for me. On a positive note, it is very mellow, with nary a tongue-bite.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Not bad at all! This is not nauseatingly sweet (and throat-irritating) stuff like Blue Note, Sweet Killarney or Sunset Breeze. Neither it is an usual cavendish pouched aromatic with their bland taste. This tobacco has a very nice biscuity tin aroma, is sligtly moist and sticky to the touch, but not too much. You don't get the impression you are smoking molasses tobacco for shisha... What makes this tobacco tolerable for me is that the taste of the leaf can truly be felt under the casing...

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I only smoke aromatics for a change of pace from time-to-time and this is one of the better ones I have smoked. MM, a nice ribbon cut, packs easily. However, you may find that more relights will be necessary towards the bottom of the bowl because of the moisture ?problem?, a characteristic inherent with many, if not most aromatics. Puff as fast as you want, there is no bite whatsoever in this baccy. To me, the flavor and taste of this tobacco were reminiscent of Butter Rum Lifesavers, most prevalent when ?sipped.? I also find this blend very similar to McCrainie?s Currituck.

I rate this tobacco 8.5 out of 10

This is the best in the line of Premium Aromatics by McClelland IMHO. It is of course the least cased as well. The flavoring is subtle and the room note is phenomenal! The tin aroma is all chocolate and coffee to me. It definitely needs to be dried out, and even then smokes a little wetter than I prefer. I got a lot of comments when I smoked this in public, and all of them positive! I doubt I'll buy another can, but it is a worthy smoke.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (33)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I didn't take any notes on this, meaning a detailed review isn't possible, but since I smoke this so often, I remember it well.

This is the tobacco that you will wish drugstore tobacco tasted like. It's got a smooth flavor and it smokes well after you dry it out. It's mild, pleasant for others and it is a well-crafted blend of quality burley and cavendish.

Simply put, if you're an aromatic smoker and you can only afford one tobacco this month, make it Mellow Mack. You'll be able to smoke it without fear of reprisal and you'll be free of tongue bite and nicotine headache.

I also find this tobacco to mix well with certain other aromatics. I take 2 parts Mellow Mack and 1 part Raspberries in Cream and it seems to make the smoke milder and creamier than normal.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)

Well I've been looking for a good aromatic to go to when the situation warrants and this is it. This with out a doubt the best aromatic I've ever smoked. Excellant burn, still has some moisture but tolerable. I really love the flavor problem is I'm kind of hooked on stronger blends now. I won't keep it on hand but I won't hesitate to buy it again when I'm in the mood for it.

Grim Chieftain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grim Chieftain (2)

I have never liked aromatic pipe tobacco, despite having sampled numerous flavored blends. A short while ago, however, I picked up a tin of McClelland?s Mellow Mack. It is, in my humble opinion, the best aromatic I have ever come across. Unlike most aromatics, Mellow Mack is velvety and so supple I can smoke it almost constantly. The aroma is enticing, yet nothing like the loathsome attar so often associated with aromatics.

Although I normally don't smoke aromatics, this was a pleasant change. Due to the ribbon cut, it burns quickly but not hot and without any bite. I use it @ work with a small bowl pipe for a quick smoke. Tin aroma is sweet but without the strong casings evident in others. Moisture initally is perfect and results in easy, even packing. Smokes wetter than I'd prefer and the last 25% of the bowl was soaked for me. The taste was dominated by the black cavendish and is typical of much cheaper aromatic blends with this component.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tin Aroma: The tin aroma of this blend is incredibly pleasing. Instead of being an unidentifiable sweet smell, there is actual character to the aroma. Upon first opening a tin, the smell is one of sugar cookies, very sugary sugar cookies, but after the tin has been allowed to breath for a day or two, the aroma takes on the unmistakable scent of hot pecan pie, a delicacy I have a particular weakness for. I could sit for some long while with my nose in a tin of this, content not to smoke it, but merely to inhale it's sweet aroma.

Physical Characteristics: An even mixture of light and dark pieces make up this ribbon cut. I will hazard a guess that the lighter strands are Burley and the darker are Cavendish. The pack is easy, but the bowl does tend to puff up a good bit during the charring light. Once tamped back down, a fully packed bowl becomes more like 5/8th bowl.

Notes: I must say, this quickly became my favorite aromatic ever. The smell of this while it is being smoked reminds me of pecan pie, or cookies being baked, and the taste is identical to that of one of my favorite blends, Burley and Black, a bulk from the CVS Pharmacy. Now, some people might take this comparison with a drugstore bulk to be a negative thing, but not I. I rather enjoy Burley/Cavendish blends, especially straightforward honest ones, and, regardless of the aromatic casing this blend has received, it falls right into that category. As with any Burley blend, this produces giant volumes of thick white smoke, which is visually very satisfying.

Verdict: As far as aromatics go, this is most definately my favorite of the ones I have smoked. It manages to avoid the main problem I have had with other aromatics, which is a strange sugary flavoring to the tobacco, regardless of what the scent is. For anyone who likes Cavendish or Burley blends, and needs something to please a crowd, this is it.