Made with the finest Cyprian Latakia and Orientals from Macedonia and Turkey. It gives this mild English style blend a smoothness and seductive aroma you'll enjoy smoking even if you don't catch a fox.

Notes: No longer produced.

BrandNording
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If they really discontinued this I think they're nuts. This is good stuff. A Lat forward light English with a light touch of vanilla. Well done and very tasty. You can push this a little before it tries to get hot. You don't have to be overly careful. Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor. A little moist, but burns well straight from the tin. Really enjoyed this.

If this runs out you can try C&D's Snug Harbor. Same thing with a touch more body and flavor.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

McClelland never ceases to amaze me! Every time they manufacture an outstanding blend that does NOT appeal to "Mass Tastes" they discontinue it. Alas, Like "OLD DOG" this is a wonderful mixture that is still avilable but no longer produced. Upon opening the tin, one is greeted by a wonderful mix of Vanilla and Orientals with just a wisp of Latakia in the background. It has a wonderful sweet and sour aroma. Strangely,the famed "KETCHUP" smell is not a Virginia ketchup but rather an "Oriental Ketchup". A very alluring yet unusual olfactory experience. This is a true "CROSSOVER" blend. It has a definitive English taste and aroma but is tempered by the addition of an aromatic vanilla casing. It has no bite and is quite smooth. This is very strange stuff. It is nothing like the Frog Morton series at all. If you have smoked OLD DOG which is a tweaked British woods IMHO, then you will understand the concept. This is a tweaked oriental blend. It burns dry and cool. It has a slightly bitter taste that I enjoy immensely. The room note is that of some sort of English /Aromatic hybrid. It is not a sweet Vanilla ! If you are a McClelland fan I do think this one should be tried.AH! Now I can give an example of a similar blend. C&D has a series of aromatics with Latakia- e.g. Craig Starks blend comes to mind. It is something like that ala McClelland ketchup. A unique smoking experience and not one to be missed. A solid 3 of 4 stars!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a fine addition to the series of tobaccos by Nording. All the elements come together nicely. This lights well and stays lit with no problems. I think this is the best of the series. It smokes down to a nice ash for me with no goop at the bottom of the bowl. Recommended.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Classic McClelland Heintz-like smell, along with something vaguely vanilla-ish, just enough to soften its English nature. Lots of browns and darker tones, ribbon cut. This tin dates 3 10, upon opening perfect in humidity, so much so that I only required two lights throughout the bowl, with no drying time.

It's a very "airy" smoke....it produces lots of smoke, but it's not that thick buttery texture that you'd experience with -let's say a Nightcap or a Penzance. The better half actually took a puff-which seldom happens-and agreed with that summation. Very yummy though, no vanilla, just a light Latakia blend. Lighter than Early Morning Pipe, or perhaps just more refined. Excellent early a.m. smoke, burns clean to dottle and tasty all the way there.

I'd give it a four except it seems its no longer available :( I'll be on the lookout for more-you'd do worse than grabbing a can if the situation should present itself to you!

UPDATE: A fantastic tobacco blend, and as I see P&C stocks it i have ingrained the name into the wife's memory-as Father's Been Good Day is closing in fast. The perfect early morning smoke!!!!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

My thoughts on this when I first lit it up were "egads! a cavendish english blend!" Really: I checked to make sure I wasn't using a dedicated aromatic pipe. I'm not talking Captain Black here, but there's a telltale sweetness that isn't Virginia and not oriental. I note that I'm not the first to suspect the inclusion of cavendish (see BriarLaw's review). I was determined to dislike this bastard halfbreed just out of principle, but I found myself enjoying it. The sweetness oddly plays well with the orientals and latakia. It is a great gentle smoke to wake up to: not at all austere, harsh, bitey, "artistic" nor nicotine-laden. It has become my standard early morning smoke, quite tasty in its unique way.

If your tastes in tobacco are catholic, as mine are, try this. If your tastes tend to be, well, classical only, avoid.

atomzero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomzero (3)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend has an outdoor feel to to it, as the taste is very woodsy, and the tin note and aroma remind me of a fresh campfire. The aroma is well-executed, but perhaps not ultimately for everybody. To me however, this blend is autumn in a pipe, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

It smokes a bit wet, but burns very well. If you smoke it too hot, it starts to taste pretty soapy, but that can easily be avoided. I don't feel any strong buzz, but I certainly do relax while I smoke this down.

I can't wait to enjoy this around a fire on a fall evening.

mark16001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mark16001 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I very much enjoy this blend. It says no longer produced but I just got 2 tins dated 3 2012. I hope it continues to be available.

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I, too love this blend. The smell out of the tin is nice and unoffensive. The room note is strong, but not "Go outside and smoke that stuff" strong. It's a smooth tobacco that won't burn you tongue. It does have a pronounced "ketchup" taste as the bowl finishes. Wonderful and good so far, eh? That said, it is a WET tobacoo upon arrival. I swear if you took a handful of it and squeezed, water would drip. Even though it is very high in moisture, it is still fairly easy to keep lit. I left my canister open for a day and that made a big difference. It was still a bit moist, but much more smokable. Just for the record, I believe that most tobaccos NEED some moisture to bring out the flavors. C&D's blends are usually far TOO dry to be enjoyable. Their aromatics are ok,though.

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this one. I do not detect what other reviewers claim as added vanilla topping. I thought it was very smooth and actually reminded me of the old Balkan Sobranie. Many pipe snobs would probably scream at me for saying that but I can't help it. This blend invokes those memories. Definitely worth a try if you like a little latakia and a sweetish smoke.

Auld Eire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auld Eire (12)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

The tin reads "3 2008," and I can't tell if this is a dog or a frog. I'm guessing McC couldn't shelf a name as marketably pipe-worthy as "Fox Hound," so they cased some leaf in the great vanilla equalizer and re-released.

Very similar to Nat Sherman's City Island Dawn (and to the new My Mixture 965 for that matter), and a smokeable addition to that genre, but equally derivative and redundant. I'm no expert, but it's obvious even to me that this is not the Hound the rest of you have written about. How the folks who created my beloved Frog can feel good about this is beyond me.

I guess what bugs me is that, for those of us trying very hard to learn the ABCs, and maybe one day display some aficion, with regard to the blender's Art, cased leaf that bills itself as a "Virginia/Latakia/Oriental," using the name of a blend I will never actually smoke...it's just damn frustrating...my apologies to all. jm

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

UPDATE: 9-19-07

I ordered 6 tins of this and got them no problem. If you like this blend get it while you can - if it has really gone out of production. One of the best all day smokes I've tried.

ORIGINAL: 7-28-07

This Nording Blend by McClelland is excellent. I would classify it as a Balkan Blend given the latakia and orientals. Don't be fooled by the above listing of VA's as the first, and perhaps the primary ingredient - they are not. I cannot visually or otherwise detect any VA's in the mix. Fans of Forgmorton will love this blend. I ordered a tin of Fox Hound and Frogmorton on the Town together, having already become a fan of Frogmorton (regular).

1) Cool and dry burning, easliy lit and re-tamped for a smooth, volumnous smoke

2) Latakia fix is there, which I love, but the orientals lighten and spice the mix just right. Nicotine is medium to mild.

3) Wonderful aroma, aromatic and English fans alike will praise this creation - along with the non-smoking passers-by.

4) True flavor and body to the bottom of the bowl, with NO BITE!! There are too many good tobacs out there to smoke a "bitey blend."

5) This one likes a deep/large bowl size. The coarse cut just doesn't pack well in a smaller bowl.

PS: To Erik and McClelland!

If you've stopped making this blend, please resume with all haste!!

PS: To all fans of the pipe!

Try this blend - its a winner!

Thanks,

Ethan

sonoma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sonoma (11)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Just enough latakia and orientals to let you know their at the party. With a tin aroma of ketchup upon craking the can open and a dressing that taste like creamy vanilla, I'd say this is one of the finest mild English blends available. Professor, thanks for the recommendation. This ones a regular in the rotation.

monkeybong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
monkeybong (7)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was disappointed with this blend from the start. Maybe it is just too mild for my taste, but there was very little taste. Every once in a while I would catch a whiff that was pleasant, overall it was forgettable. I do want to add, that I have met Mr. Nording, and he is a great guy. I also love his pipes.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

05-19-2005

Appearance and Tin Aroma: methinks this is Old Dog or Frog Morton with a minor jumbling of the propotionss of leaf and some vanilla casing. It is mostly dark with a medium-broad ribbon cut.

Packing and Lighting: The ribbons are at perfect length with no fuss packing. A bit moist upon opening tin, but still lights fairly easily.

Initial Flavor: Argh! Vanilla casing! Say it isn't so! Yes, this is cased, but lightly. It does taste a bit bitter to me.

Mid-bowl: I can't get over the casing, it does not seem to mix well with the combo of leaves.

Bottom of Bowl: Bitter ending...Lots of moisture.

Overall: I don't mind a cross-over blend at all, but this blend just did not work for me. I tried a tin and half of this blend to see if it was just an ocaissonal fluke, but my experience was consistent. I gave the last half of the second tin away.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Erik Nording's Hunter Blend Fox Hound is delightful. I visited a seventy-year old tobacconist recently. Tucked in a corner of this underground dwelling were a can of Fox Hound and a can of Hartwell's Chesdin Mixture. (I will no doubt review the latter at some point in the future). These little tins were full of dust and certainly forgotten. I have been smoking and reviewing a lot of less than satisfying blends of late. It occurred to me that I actually have been comparing levels of un-satisfaction. I was reminded what a superior tobacco is when I recently went back to one of my standards (Squadron Leader) rather than try something new. How delightful it was! Still, the thought of finding a new tobacco--finding it a brilliant new treat--is intriguing and generally enjoyable (though often frustrating and costly when disappointment occurs). Back, though, to entering this aging cave of a tobacconist. I grabbed these two tins of leprechaun gold with the intent of trying some non-McClelland blends (as I have been smoking a lot of them lately). The joke was on me as these are BOTH made by McClelland. Bugger! Still, these were clearly aged and looked very good. I paid the cigar-smoking proprietor and off I went.

As I was finishing my tin of Squadron Leader, it was a couple of days before I decided to try Fox Hound. Oh, it was worth the wait. The crack of the tin caused me to be giddy as a schoolboy! 'Joy, gentle friends! joy and fresh days of love'. The look of this splendid tobacco burst like Chinese fireworks in such a rainbow of vibrant colour. The tin smell was wonderful (even if some will call it the typical McClelland tomato sauce aroma). One has to keep in mind that I smoked this following a superb tobacco. Therefore, (to the present) my comparison is high and not based on something inferior. That said, Fox Hound is undeniably wonderful. It is extremely light, and certainly mild, but it has so much nuance and flavour that I have already bought three more tins (although I know that they will not have the same age as this first tin). I truly am impressed with Fox Hound and it can easily become an all-day smoke.

This weed is curiously very close (perhaps too close) to another McClelland-made product that I smoke regularly and I wonder about that. Regardless of what one may be told, Fox Hound is still available, but I question whether it is still being made. I tend to think that it is now being made under a different name (as 'Fox Hound' was produced exclusively for James B. Russell, Inc. who is no longer in business). Either way, this is a fine tobacco. The bottom of the bowl did show some moisture, but that is the only less than stellar thing that I can say about this pleasant and interesting weed. If you are looking for a mild and flavourful Latakia blend, try this one today (and you will certainly be smoking it tomorrow and for days--if not years--to come). Hunt this fox hound with stealth and savour its enjoyment, though. Like the use of hunting dogs in England (bloody shame at that loss of good sport), this stuff could become antiquity.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice blend with a mild smoky taste and well balanced flavor. Burns clean, no bite and very satisfying. A top notch blend.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Foxhound is a silky-smooth blend with excellent balance. The Cyprian Latakia is bold without being overdone. No one leaf dominates, they all have their time in the limelight. The Oriental leaf is spicy without drowning out the Va.

Foxhound is good the first bowlful, and continues to improve as you get to know it. For the newcomer to English blends, there is a well-balanced wonderful taste. For the old hand there are plenty of subtle nuances to hold your interest. This is a blend that one could start with as a first English, and would not have to worry about outgrowing or becoming bored with for a long time.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

A nice high-quality blend from McLelland made for Nording. Extremely mild.

This tobacco has that characteristic McLelland tin aroma. The tobacco is a uniform ribbon cut comprised of a variety of colors: black, light brown, brown.

I like this tobacco but cannot say it is a "latakia blend" in the typical sense of the word. While you can smell the Latakia in the tin, once burning, it is very, very subtle. I can almost taste black Cavendish but the description does not indicate it is part of the blend. Hmmmm . . . .

I think this is a good introduction to Latakia blends, or a good tobacco for those of you who are fond of the lighter McClelland oriental tinned blends. If you are a die-hard fuller-bodied Latakia/English fan (e.g., Nightcap, etc.), go elsewhere.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

The fine Latakia and Oriental tobaccos do make this a mild English style blend. A very smooth smoke with an aroma that had no negative comments.

This could be an "all day'r" for those who favour the lite English blends.

Similar to Lanes HGL or Straus' 88 but without the cavendish.

A nice clean tobacco.