This tobacco contains the same ingredients as the Royal Jersey Original Latakia Mixture, the recipe being faithfully followed, but without the Latakia, revealing a tobacco with a quite different character.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Strength
Taste
2.5
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

While smoking, this fine blend makes its true tobacco/no frills presence known in an unobtrusive fashion. Packs easily and burns clean. Unique in taste; "Virginia/unflavored Cavendish" is a somewhat rare combination to find these days, the duo works here in a delightfully simple manner.

If you want a cool burn and true tobacco taste that is...... well, different; here you go.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (114)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Having not got some Germain's for a while, I decided to invest in a tin of this stuff as it was one of the few of their offerings I've yet to try.

The tin aroma is one of mild fruit. The tobacco, a lot like some other Germain's stuff, is a fine shag, not the broken flake described. This is no big issue though, despite taking a little pulling apart it does make for easy lighting and packing. The flavour is one of fruit with a slightly medicated touch to it, much like those sore throat sweets. There is a tendency to bite of you smoke it too quickly so savour it if possible.

While this is a pleasant smoke and evidently a quality tobacco, it fails to push any buttons for me, it doesn't thrill in the same way as, say, Plumcake does. So I won't be in any rush to get another tin but I wouldn't rule it out, maybe in two or three years when I've stuck for something to buy.

Pipe Used: Parker Jockey Club

Age When Smoked: Unknown

09-20-04

Apearance and Tin Aroma: Medium to fine ribbon, smells like a light VA/ Uncased Cavendish mix. Could not smell the orientals in the tin.

Packing and Lighting: Easy, moisture perfect out of tin.

Initial Flavor: Light VA, slight clove undertones (the orientals?).

Mid-Bowl: The cavendish and orientals peek through, very mellow.

Bottom of Bowl: Not much build up of strength, finishes to a soft fluffy white to grey ash.

Overall: This blend did not do much for me, not enough strength or complexity for this piper. I absolutely love the Latakia mixture in this series, but this one was just flat. The pros of this blend are: No tongue bite, smooth from top to bottom of bowl, tolerable room note in spite of being uncased.

Rating: 3 out of 5 points.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (109)

This is an example of a type of tobacco that used to be ubiquitous in the British Empire but is little talked about or even remembered perhaps, by contemporary tobacco aficionados. It is a bright Va with, I think, a whisper of oriental leaf, and Cavendish. Regarding the latter, I am not sure I believe this tobacco has been subject to heat and pressure of a sufficient order to qualify as a true Cav, but the term is so loose today it hardly matters to a prospective buyer. What the tobacco DOES have is ample sweetener. The tin note is a malty, vanilla character and I assume this is supposed to be whiskey.

As per its historical type, it is a shag or silk cut, and the old timers back in the day would use this sort of tobacco for pipe and RYO. Accordingly it is mild, the ph is pushed to the acidic side, (there is a clear, sour note to this tobacco) and it can be easily inhaled if that is your thing. From a purely pipe perspective it is a very light on experience. Fine for all day; not, imo, a tobacco for after dinner with something fortifying.

The room note for this tobacco is reminiscent of the formerly local Australian tobacco, Dr Pat's Irish Mixture. It's a little moist straight out of the tin. Burns quick, but is not particularly hot, down to white ash. Again. not for when one wants a long, contemplative pipe.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier, Missouri Pride

Pre Republic Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pre Republic Peterson (10)

Enjoyable… managed to smoke it right down to white ash. So much so I got a shock when ash came through the bit. Not a problem, you live and you learn.

On opening: christmas pudding and spirits

Smoking I got… White pepper corns, white chocolate and spices. Nice little smoke.

Will get again.

Pipe Used: Barlings

Age When Smoked: 6 months old

Purchased From: smoke1.co.uk

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (117)

I found me an older tin at a shop that just changed owners. The paper surrounding the tobacco was darkened. This is, to me, a pretty mellow blend. The Virginia had a soft, fruity taste. The cavendish was not easy to detect. It burned cleanly. It was a cool smoke, too. I enjoy it, but wish it had a bit more presence. Still, I recommend it.

This blend grew on me. I went back and bought the last tin, plus the only remaining tin of Virginia and Perique by the same blender. After I smoke a goodly portion, I will review that blend, too.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

J.F Germain Royal Jersey Cavendish and Virginia . I have been looking forward to this one for a while as I adore cavendish . The actual mix itself is just right in the moisture department and it gives off a very orthodox aroma for the tobaccos included . It takes to the flame with ease and delivers a great/even burn leaving a very white ash . It is quite a unique mixture of tobaccos and this shows ( in a pleasant way ) in the flavour , you don't particularly get a prominent flavour of a certain tobacco , only a steady combination of them all , which also has an almost herb like character to it where you could possibly believe it contains additives . Nicotine level is superb and it can be inhaled with ease ( about Squadron Leader level ) . I don't get any tongue bite from this one , even after a while smoking it and the smoke is quite cool . Also it is quite mild and my only negative point is perhaps a little Perique could possibly add an appreciated "spicy" quality to it but I still find it an enjoyable smoke . I do think that with its unique flavour it would make a good tobacco to be enjoyed sporadically more than a regular smoke .

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I find myself often in agreement with Rcuselder on many tobaccos. This is one of them. It has a very cigarette/cigar quality to it. In other words an acquired taste. I would not recommend it to most Virginia/English smokers.On the positive side however,it is fantastic as a blender for Stong Oriental and or Latakia mixtures. I imagine it would also work with pure Perique. 2 of 4 stars for a blend,3.5 of 4 stars for a blending agent.