This tobacco contains the same ingredients as the Royal Jersey Original Latakia Mixture, the recipe being faithfully followed, but without the Latakia, revealing a tobacco with a quite different character.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
2.4
Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (97)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Having not got some Germain's for a while, I decided to invest in a tin of this stuff as it was one of the few of their offerings I've yet to try.

The tin aroma is one of mild fruit. The tobacco, a lot like some other Germain's stuff, is a fine shag, not the broken flake described. This is no big issue though, despite taking a little pulling apart it does make for easy lighting and packing. The flavour is one of fruit with a slightly medicated touch to it, much like those sore throat sweets. There is a tendency to bite of you smoke it too quickly so savour it if possible.

While this is a pleasant smoke and evidently a quality tobacco, it fails to push any buttons for me, it doesn't thrill in the same way as, say, Plumcake does. So I won't be in any rush to get another tin but I wouldn't rule it out, maybe in two or three years when I've stuck for something to buy.

Pipe Used: Parker Jockey Club

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

While smoking, this fine blend makes its true tobacco/no frills presence known in an unobtrusive fashion. Packs easily and burns clean. Unique in taste; "Virginia/unflavored Cavendish" is a somewhat rare combination to find these days, the duo works here in a delightfully simple manner.

If you want a cool burn and true tobacco taste that is...... well, different; here you go.

09-20-04

Apearance and Tin Aroma: Medium to fine ribbon, smells like a light VA/ Uncased Cavendish mix. Could not smell the orientals in the tin.

Packing and Lighting: Easy, moisture perfect out of tin.

Initial Flavor: Light VA, slight clove undertones (the orientals?).

Mid-Bowl: The cavendish and orientals peek through, very mellow.

Bottom of Bowl: Not much build up of strength, finishes to a soft fluffy white to grey ash.

Overall: This blend did not do much for me, not enough strength or complexity for this piper. I absolutely love the Latakia mixture in this series, but this one was just flat. The pros of this blend are: No tongue bite, smooth from top to bottom of bowl, tolerable room note in spite of being uncased.

Rating: 3 out of 5 points.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (110)

I found me an older tin at a shop that just changed owners. The paper surrounding the tobacco was darkened. This is, to me, a pretty mellow blend. The Virginia had a soft, fruity taste. The cavendish was not easy to detect. It burned cleanly. It was a cool smoke, too. I enjoy it, but wish it had a bit more presence. Still, I recommend it.

This blend grew on me. I went back and bought the last tin, plus the only remaining tin of Virginia and Perique by the same blender. After I smoke a goodly portion, I will review that blend, too.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I find myself often in agreement with Rcuselder on many tobaccos. This is one of them. It has a very cigarette/cigar quality to it. In other words an acquired taste. I would not recommend it to most Virginia/English smokers.On the positive side however,it is fantastic as a blender for Stong Oriental and or Latakia mixtures. I imagine it would also work with pure Perique. 2 of 4 stars for a blend,3.5 of 4 stars for a blending agent.