This tobacco contains the same ingredients as the Royal Jersey Original Latakia Mixture, the recipe being faithfully followed, but without the Latakia, revealing a tobacco with a quite different character.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.6
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

While smoking, this fine blend makes its true tobacco/no frills presence known in an unobtrusive fashion. Packs easily and burns clean. Unique in taste; "Virginia/unflavored Cavendish" is a somewhat rare combination to find these days, the duo works here in a delightfully simple manner.

If you want a cool burn and true tobacco taste that is...... well, different; here you go.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Having not got some Germain's for a while, I decided to invest in a tin of this stuff as it was one of the few of their offerings I've yet to try.

The tin aroma is one of mild fruit. The tobacco, a lot like some other Germain's stuff, is a fine shag, not the broken flake described. This is no big issue though, despite taking a little pulling apart it does make for easy lighting and packing. The flavour is one of fruit with a slightly medicated touch to it, much like those sore throat sweets. There is a tendency to bite of you smoke it too quickly so savour it if possible.

While this is a pleasant smoke and evidently a quality tobacco, it fails to push any buttons for me, it doesn't thrill in the same way as, say, Plumcake does. So I won't be in any rush to get another tin but I wouldn't rule it out, maybe in two or three years when I've stuck for something to buy.

Pipe Used: Parker Jockey Club

Age When Smoked: Unknown

09-20-04

Apearance and Tin Aroma: Medium to fine ribbon, smells like a light VA/ Uncased Cavendish mix. Could not smell the orientals in the tin.

Packing and Lighting: Easy, moisture perfect out of tin.

Initial Flavor: Light VA, slight clove undertones (the orientals?).

Mid-Bowl: The cavendish and orientals peek through, very mellow.

Bottom of Bowl: Not much build up of strength, finishes to a soft fluffy white to grey ash.

Overall: This blend did not do much for me, not enough strength or complexity for this piper. I absolutely love the Latakia mixture in this series, but this one was just flat. The pros of this blend are: No tongue bite, smooth from top to bottom of bowl, tolerable room note in spite of being uncased.

Rating: 3 out of 5 points.

Pre Republic Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pre Republic Peterson (9)

Enjoyable… managed to smoke it right down to white ash. So much so I got a shock when ash came through the bit. Not a problem, you live and you learn.

On opening: christmas pudding and spirits

Smoking I got… White pepper corns, white chocolate and spices. Nice little smoke.

Will get again.

Pipe Used: Barlings

Age When Smoked: 6 months old

Purchased From: smoke1.co.uk

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

I found me an older tin at a shop that just changed owners. The paper surrounding the tobacco was darkened. This is, to me, a pretty mellow blend. The Virginia had a soft, fruity taste. The cavendish was not easy to detect. It burned cleanly. It was a cool smoke, too. I enjoy it, but wish it had a bit more presence. Still, I recommend it.

This blend grew on me. I went back and bought the last tin, plus the only remaining tin of Virginia and Perique by the same blender. After I smoke a goodly portion, I will review that blend, too.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

J.F Germain Royal Jersey Cavendish and Virginia . I have been looking forward to this one for a while as I adore Cavendish . The actual mix itself is just right in the moisture department and it gives off a very orthodox aroma for the Tobaccos included . It takes to the flame with ease and delivers a great/even burn leaving a very white ash . It is quite a unique mixture of Tobaccos and this shows ( in a pleasant way ) in the flavour , you don't particularly get a prominent flavour of a certain Tobacco , only a steady combination of them all , which also has an almost "Herb" like character to it where you could possibly believe it contains additives . Nicotine level is superb and it can be inhaled with ease ( about Squadron Leader level ) . I don't get any Tongue bite from this one , even after a while smoking it and the smoke is quite cool . Also it is quite mild and my only negative point is perhaps a little Perique could possibly add an appreciated "spicy" quality to it but I still find it an enjoyable smoke . I do think that with its unique flavor it would make a good Tobacco to be enjoyed sporadically more than a regular smoke .

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I find myself often in agreement with Rcuselder on many tobaccos. This is one of them. It has a very cigarette/cigar quality to it. In other words an acquired taste. I would not recommend it to most Virginia/English smokers.On the positive side however,it is fantastic as a blender for Stong Oriental and or Latakia mixtures. I imagine it would also work with pure Perique. 2 of 4 stars for a blend,3.5 of 4 stars for a blending agent.