This is the latest addition to the Royal Jersey range, and contains a subtle quantity of genuine Louisiana Perique. The fully-rounded taste of matured tobaccos.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Taste

3.2
Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

There's a reason why this blend is difficult to come by--a lot of folks snap it up WHEN it's available because it's THAT GOOOOOOOD! This is a truly exceptional blend—almost wonderful! There are some quality tobaccos in this blend and the flavor of rich Virginias is the theme. Royal Jersey is thoroughly enjoyable and quite satisfying!

I feel that this blend falls well short of what I would classify as a "true" VAPER. I think that this blend will appeal more to the "aged" Virginia smokers and less to the dedicated VAPER smoker. The Virginias are dark and earthy and bittersweet rather than sweet. There is sufficient Perique to supply something of a "black pepper" quality to the flavor (and I can sense the pepper on my tongue), but I believe that the Perique component is done with a light touch and is intended to act more as a spice element. The Perique merely fortifies the Virginias and provides some additional richness and depth. But who really cares exactly what’s in a blend as long as it works well? And this blend works very, very well!

I found it surprisingly simple to award 4-stars to this one!

Pipe Used: Various Small to Large Pipes, Briar & "Foam"

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Royal Jersey Perique Mixture . The unlit mix is mostly golden in colour , consisting of pieces between half to a full centimetre in length and it is neither to damp nor dry , making for excellent lighting up . The aroma of the mix pre-light is a little earthy with a slight acidic note there also . The smoking of this is a true pleasure , you get a sublime Hay like Virginia flavour which takes the lead role with the Perique offering a spicy note in the background and a touch of strength , but as others state , it does not take this blend over , only embellishes the taste with its lively character . Nicotine level is pleasing , it is neither too much or too little , about Squadron Leader level and if you have a predilection to inhale the smoke you can do so with ease . Room note is fairly standard for the included Tobaccos but on the positive side it is quite a light aroma so any non-smokers would not find it very offensive. Due to the fact that it is fairly light on the Perique side it would make a splendid entry into the world of Virginia/Perique blends .

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: Smoke King

Pre Republic Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pre Republic Peterson (10)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Exceptional. I have come from smoking lots of Cuban cigars and Dunhill pipe tobacco mainly. This is a great blend. Opening the can, seemed slightly under filled, but beautiful staining to the greaseproof paper from the tobacco. Looks like its been in the can for sometime, I am not sure as I bought it new. Truly beautiful tobacco, just a few twig type pieces, easy to remove. The Perique is king!. I even put some in my mouth and loved the flavor: soft and juicy. Aroma of steamed plums and spices. Reminds me of Partagas 8-9-8 and Lusitania and also Upmann Number 2 cigars. Full bodied and a amazing taste, helps that I am from a Habanos background. Perfect for me, I have ordered more today.

Pipe Used: Pre-Republic Peterson no COM

Purchased From: Pipe Shop Edinburgh Online

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening this tin rewards you with pure heavenly perfumes, such as flowers, butter, some smoky cheese, etc...

Needs a tad bit of drying as the tobacco is a bit on the moist side. A friend of mine whose principles are 100% against tobacco, loved the tin smell, the room note and asked me to try it. He was converted on the spot! Asked me to help him buy his first pipe and this specific tobacco! I was shocked!

Anyway, excellent VA/PER. Not so much perique in the mixture, but enough to give a kick and some spice.

I love the buttery/floral taste of this tobacco. Will go down into my favourites, and will definitely buy this again!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe it's just me, but some of the reviewers get flavors from this blend that simply do not exist. There is a light natural Virginia sweetness and a smattering of fruit essence that probably comes from the perique and the way the tobacco is cured. Chocolate notes? I think not. Tastes like Dorchester? Nope, sorry, it doesn't. Dorchester has less perique and a more pronounced apricot, fig, and raisin essence. RJP has only the slightest hint of apricot and raisin, much milder than Dorchester.

The perique is very mild, and not peppery. It's ribbon cut so thin that I consider it to be shag. Perhaps a wider cut would improve this mixture, because it's not as complex as some others claim it is, and a thicker cut would allow for a little more flavor. You certainly should not smoke it dry.

It's one of the lightest VaPers I've ever smoked, Sutliff's Golden Age being another, and a distant cousin to this in some ways. Even though the tobaccos used here are of high quality, only a smoker needing a light smoke with a small amount of perique would enjoy this. It's not that it's bad, it's just unfulfilling compared to other mild VaPers. Esoterica makes better mild VaPers, and for the money and taste, you're better off with them than with this. I suppose this is more of a two and half star blend than a two, but try as I might, I'm unable to work up any enthusiasm for this tobacco.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Royal Jersey Perique is a blend for the connoisseur with palate and perspective intact. Subtle and varying notes of matured Virginias, Cavendish (read: unflavored, steamed Virginia), air-cured Maryland, a smidgen of dark-fired (?) and dollop of perique are all proportioned with extreme skill for a playful, yet cultured, experience. RJP belongs in the genre of Elizabethan Mixture, with EM the fuller-flavored of the two. One could add Irish Oak, Stratford, Dorchester, and Dunbar to the category. Figgy, fermented, musty and fetid (in a friendly way) all come through supported by a subtle, Virginia sweetness.

It is somewhat surprising that no comparison to Dorchester has been made until now. They are quite similar, but not identical. RJP being the more complex, yet less full-flavorful, of the two and Dorchester with a touch, just a touch, more perique. If RJP leaves you underwhelmed, try it aged some, on the drier side and after giving your mouth a rest from those enthralling, but tongue-dominating, British dark-fired powerhouses. You wouldn't eat a phall curry then after a consomme and complain about the blandness of the broth, would you?

(The "broken flake" cut note above must go, as RJP is cut to almost angel hair thinness).

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

Another step along the road of VaPs. I have heard the odd bad word said about this but I am going through a Germain's phase at the moment an I was determined to give this a go, regardless of the consequences to my palate and my wallet. I just hoped I wouldn't be left too unimpressed.

Upon opening the tin, a very mild waft of what I could only discern as stewed peaches that were on the turn provided me with a little discomfort but didn't put me off. Then, folding back the paper inside to reveal the tobacco, I was surprised. It has already been established in previous reviews that this is not broken flake, but they didn't prepare me for how "not broken flake" this is. I expected, at worst, a light ready rubbed consistency but this comes out as a fine shag, much like King Charles Mixture for instance. In spite of this, it still is a little tricky to pull apart and pack without it clumping together, so a little care is needed. Lighting is perfect, I think Germain's have got the right moisture levels here, as usual. They're usually spot on with this. My first few pipefuls were a little rough, making me think I'd bought a duff one. However, it has started to grow on me. It does have a light, almost cigarette like quality to it, not too heavy. Virginias are dominant here, with hints of lemon coming through, and ocassionally gives hints of some oriental, even though there's none in. The perique appears a little later and adds just a nice topping, giving hints of chocolate and maybe some plum. This is really winning me over.

On the whole then, a very good smoke. Nice and cool, very easy to sup - serendipity given the fine cut. The contents compliment each other nicely. While I am far from calling myself a VaPer, I am very fond of this one and it is probably one of the better ones in this line of tobacco.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

I don't know if I had a bad batch, but I was seriously underwhelmed by this blend.

The sight of the dried out broken bits with more than a fair share of stem twigs was somewhat unprepossessing and the pack aroma was very faint. It packed, lit and burned well enough, but I found the taste rather dull and one-dimensional, I was hoping for spicy fruit, but all I got was a rather dry and dusky smoke.

As I said, I am not convinced that my sample was in the best condition so in fairness I am awarding it an extra star. But I am not sure I can bring myself to risk another go. Disappointing.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find this tobacco very different from many of the Perique mixtures with this one "playing off" the Virginia tobacco in a most pleasant way.

While I enjoy Perique in more substantial quantities than most...too much can be "heady" and loose appeal quickly. The quality of the Virginia must also be considered. This tobacco has both high quality tobaccos and is blended nicely.

Taste and aroma throughout the bowl are superior and consistency appears to be well above average.

Enjoyed in a group 5-6 size pipe and could well serve as an all-day smoke...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought my first tin of this at the same time I bought a tin of King Charles mixture, which is obviously a completely different blend altogether but it has one thing in common; quality! Unlike other reviewers I found my tin to be at the perfect humidity for smoking upon opening the tin. (I must also note at this point that the tobacco is ribbon/curley cut and definitely not broken flake) In fact I was quite surprised at how easily it lit and stayed lit, and burned beautifully and consistently all the way down the bowl. The richness and flavour of the smoke were also consistent with the perique certainly present but not overly so. Another brilliant smoking experience from J.F. Germain & Son, I would highly recommend this blend to any discerning pipe smoker with a taste for perique/virginia.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Sour fruit smell in the tin (apples maybe?). Long thin ribbon cut; burns fine however I pack it. I've had the tin open for a month now, and every bowl seems to be a little better than the last. I expected this to be a heavier smoke, but I find it fairly light.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

UPDATE 7/13/13

Cracked another tin of this that has about 2 years worth of age on it. My below opinion hasn't changed. As a VaPer, it's pretty lightweight, although not bad. There are other blends that are light in perique that seem to use a better batch of virginias or something to bring out more flavor. This is a decent blend but I find nothing special in it, certainly nothing to warrant more than 2 stars.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

This is a brick of near-shag tobacco with a dull color and a heavy, fruity scent of perique. Excellent tin aroma - very enticing. Unfortunately, this wonderful, heady aroma doesn't transfer to the taste as much as I'd like.

This blend had the usual shag difficulty in loading and I had to be careful not to over-or-underload. Once ignited, it burned with ease and produced no tongue maligning steam. The flavor, however, was dumbed down to the point that it never elevated itself beyond "OK". The perique was barely noticeable in the taste and the virginias seemed vapid and ill-conceived, although not unpleasant. Weird description, I know. This is a smooth, congenial blend with a very light sweetness, but is simply too light in flavor. Down the bowl, the mild perique spice simply becomes lost in a sea non-descript warm air. This blend exhibits no major flaws but there is little to recommend it unless the smoker happens to enjoy a very mellow, unobtrusive taste that calls no attention to itself.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

I like English mustard with my roast beef and wine made from syrah grapes aged in oak. I use spicy cologne on my self and pepper on my sandwiches. I therefore assumed that the perique in this blend would be right up my street. And so it was with no small amount of anticpation that I awaited delivery of what promised to be a real treat of a tobacco.

I broke the seal as soon as the tin was in my hand and drank deeply from a delicious tin aroma of sour fruit, fresh earth and damp hay. I had heard that it was best to let this blend mature before smoking and so I waited about 2 weeks before setting a match to any, but I returned to take deep and satisfying pulls of the tin aroma almost hourly.

I selected a new clay pipe for first tasting, so as to give me a clear picture of what I was sure was to be the smoke of my dreams. Almost trembling with excitement and salivating with a hunger to experience the wonders which lay before me, I pulled a small wad from the tightly packed tin and filled my bowl. It packed well but was still perhaps a tad damp and so, like a practitioner of the tantric arts, I made myself wait until the time was right. After being aired for about an hour the blend, which by now I was abolutely certain was gifted directly to me by my divine and loving creator, had reached optimum humidity. I put the pipe in my mouth and stepped outside to experience the unmitigated beauty of the snow topped English countryside and, finally, I lit my first bowlful of Germain's Royal Jersey Perique Mixture. Ten minutes later I was emptying the pipe before tramping back inside to sit sullenly in my chair for the rest of the night.

If you're still reading this now, firstly, well done, but I imagine you will be wondering "what could possibly have happened to spoil such a promisingly passionate love affair" (or words to that effect). Well, it's not that it was bad tobacco, it's just that all the nuance and character of the tin aroma was absent from the smoke. Replaced by an experience that was undeniably like smoking a cigarette. A very good quality, smooth cigarette but a cigarette, none the less. This was vastly disapointing.

And now you are wandering why, if I was so underwhelmed by it, did I give it a "recommended"? Well,a couple of weeks later I decided to give it another chance. It had hurt me, sure. But that tin aroma would still excite and entice me and I desperately wanted it to be the tobacco I had built it up to be.

I realise, of course, that I have totally lost all sense of perspective in this narrative and that this is just a tobacco, not a lover or mankind's last, best hope for the future.

The second sampling was a great improvement over the first. The cigarette flavour had all but gone, giving way to a crisp dryness and pepper held together with a very light sweetness that never got cloying or wearing. An excellent tobacco. Although possibly not best suited to wintery weather. I look forward to sitting under a tree on a bright spring, hazy summer or colourful early autumn day and contentedly puffing this in a corn cob. If that sounds like your thing then I recommend you give it a go, with the proviso that you open the tin about a month before you smoke any. You'll have fun teasing your senses with the heavenly tin fragrance.

As a slight aside, I have experimented by mixing it with a pinch of Samuel Gawith's Black Cherry and found them to compliment each other very well the latter bringing out some of the sour fruit notes of the perique blend and giving more depth to the sweetness.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

"The Holy Grail" is a myth when applied to a thing or experience subjectively valued. Tobacco is such a thing. Tobacco, like woman, wine, food and the like are individual preferences and lack the near universal valuation of a priceless artifact of antiquity.

That being said, Germains RJP, while not a "Holy Grail," is in my pantheon of tobacco reverence and devotion, Zeus. It is a first among greats. It stands at the pinnacle of a temple called Excellence that houses the fruits of men's labors for honorable pleasures.

Upon opening the tin, the pleasure begins and not merely a tease. Notes of ripe, mature tobacco loft gently upwards, decanting figs, chocolate truffles and baked goods to your nose.

The longish ribbons of golden, brown and black are neither wet or dry, but springy and supple. They pack easily into all but the smallest of bowls.

Several charring lights and tamps are initially frustrating to the extent that satisfaction is delayed. Here, patience pays handsomely.

Copious billows of rich, thick smoke to your mouth and from the bowl are almost sensory overload. The tin aroma is realized, magnified and refined through fire.

RJP burns slowly and without gurgles. One can induce some discomfort if drawing with greed. Slow down, do not rush this, because you do not want this to end quickly.

There is sweetness in the taste, but not as with heavily cased or aromatic blends. This is real tobacco taste through and through; rarely achieved using Cavendish.

The second third of the bowl is greeted by creamy flavors, similar to, yet heavier than, the caramel used to coat apples. Butter, cookies, chocolate and figs ensemble a still life of flavor.

The smoke ends with deep richness and stability. It will make you question whether you have misallocated precious budget with lesser mortals.

RJP burns to a fine ash, no dottle and my pipe bowl is dry.

If you wonder how this relates to Germain's production of Dorchester for Esoterica: RJP has no licorice in the tin aroma. If Dorchester is a well-executed luncheon, then RJP is an Anniversary dinner on the waterfront. Both show the learned hands of their Jersey masters.

I hope your experience is as good as mine, at least.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)

If you like Perique, you must try this blend. I don't find it to be a VaPer; it is a PerVa. Deep brown/mohagany in colour. A little moist, and a little musty. It is a ready-to-smoke perique blend, with all the goodness that Perique offers. It didn't appear to be a broken flake as much as a rubbed out and ribbon cut mixture. Smokes cool and stays lit well. Tastes and smells like a good perique pipe-weed. If you prefer VaPer's where Va is the keel then this may come up a bit short for you.

Good mouthfeel, good burn, great sensory satisfaction. I really liked this one- progresses very well through the bowl. I could smoke this all the time but my tastes are too diverse to stick with it. I would certainly keep a tin of this in the cellar for the future...

alfredo_buscatti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alfredo_buscatti (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Royal Jersey Perique Mixture is an excellent Virginia/Perique. The tin notes state that mature Virginias comprise this mixture, their color a muted green. These mature Virginias lack LF?s austerity and taste, their flavor profile more akin to the signature Virginias found in the prior recipe of Samuel Gawith?s Full Virginia Flake (the current recipe so vastly different). The melding of the Virginia and Perique together sum to a tobacco greater than the sum of its parts?just delicious!

In Pease?s tin notes for ?Stratford? he describes the blend as a mixture of ?sugar and spice,? yet after smoking a 1.5 oz sample, I found the Perique imperceptible. His description fits RJP far more aptly. The Perique is again about 5%, clearly discernible, and the Virginias are sweet, with a commanding yet not intense full-body, such as are found in Wessex Dark Flake. This blend tastes has the signature Virginia/Perique flavor profile of sweetness and spice. The Virginias are of such superior quality that I feel I could smoke them quite enjoyably without the Perique; with it they find their perfect compliment.

LF is the clear winner of the two blends, the flavor, although monochromatic, more savory. Still RJP is a winner in its own right, one of the best Viriginia/Periques I?ve ever smoked.

As an aside, both tobaccos are what I would term ?traditional Virginia/Periques,? although LF less so than RJP; i.e. both have clear taste demarcations between the Virginias and Perique. In comparison Escudo and Three Nuns Version, second version, I would term ?non-traditional? Virginia/Periques in that the Perique is so well melded to the Virginias in the blend that separating one from the other is more difficult.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

In the tin: This comes in a little sardine-tin like container and is really a ribbon cut tightly compressed.

Packing and Lighting: After fluffing out from the tin packing and lighting was easy.

The Flavor: Not much in the first puff but thereafter a fine, sweet, Virginia taste, with a touch of Perique Tang. Progressing through the bowl the flavor doesn't change, only intensifies. Smokes clean to the bottom of the bowl.

The tobacco world happily abounds in fine Virginia/Perique blends. This is another one.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an exquisite, well made blend very aristrocratic and well bred. This is like having a conversation with a delightful and intelligent person you come away feeling enlightened. Can you tell I liked this. In the tin you smell the virginia like a finely aged wine. The perique is very ghostly laid in with restraint. This burns so cool I used it to break in a new pipe! The tobacco burns really dry with no dottle and no need for pipe cleaners. I like to exhale this through my nose the flavor is delicious. An excellant all day blend does not induce fatigue or boredom. I will be purchasing more of this. I do recommend this to anybody who likes pure tobacco taste.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a just fine blend by Germain. It has a better flavor yet is much milder than Dunhill's Elizabethan in my opinion.

A light virginia with a slightly scented cavendish and some perique are in the blend. I see a lot of guessing on the flavor, and lightly wine-like is mine, but it does not smoke like an American or Danish aromatic at all (or "soapy"). Which means it is fairly dry and cool.

It comes in a "block" in the tin (similar to Gold Block), but it is not too tightly pressed so it is easy to pull apart enough strands for a bowl at a time. It is not a flake. I suppose if you will take more than three weeks to smoke a tin you better protect it from drying out too much, but I am just finishing my tin at the three week mark and it still seems fine to me.

The perique is there all right but is not sharpe and does not really assert itself in the flavor much unless you smoke it fast (or maybe outside in a slight breeze or if left too dry). It is definitely in the room aroma. A hint of spice would be a fair statement in a quality cavendish type blend.

It is a cool, all day smoke with a very interesting favor. The perique probably ups the blend from the light category to a light-medium or medium. Very nice; a virtual delicacy of flavor and spice.

TDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TDE (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Overview: Germain?s Royal Jersey comes tightly packed in a rectangular, blue, 50g tobacco tin. I recommend that replacing the loose plastic wrapping around the block with a small baggie to keep flavours & aromas at their peak.

Sight & Feel: This finely shagged, medium brown mix comes tightly pressed in a cake that is fairly sticky and a bit moist. I pull a few shreds from the block and rub them a wee bit to achieve the packing consistency I prefer.

Smoking Characteristics: Royal Jersey smokes best for me when I pack my pipe and leave it stand for 10 minutes or so. Then I lightly re-tamp it before I set a match to it. This creates a durable burn and smooth, easy draws (slowly paced) will result in a superb wash of flavours. I enjoy it best in bent pipes.

Nose: Opening the tin yields the sweet aroma of Virginias, the slightly peppery aroma of Perique (used in moderation) and the elusive hint of Sweet Pea flowers at a distance. The room note is wonderfully light and bright with traces of myrrh and other sweet spices. It is a favourite of my non-smoking wife. Mouth: A subtle sweetness with peppery insinuations and flashes of cinnamon clove are what I love about Royal Jersey. It smokes well and bites only if your pipe technique is poor. As this is a Perique mix, inhaling is not recommended.

Economics: In Canada, Royal Jersey is a mid-priced tobacco. But as its rate of burn is quite slow for such a finely shagged tobacco (if properly packed), I rate it as an economical smoke.

Last Words: Just the thing for those who seek a mildly spicy treat, Royal Jersey is best smoked indoors to ensure the wonderful tastes and notes are not whisked away by breezes or drowned by car exhaust. The only times I smoke it outdoors and catch all it's subtleties are on calm nights in autumn or winter. If I ever face banishment to a desert island, Royal Jersey would be one of the Perique mixtures in my luggage. A great one; 4 stars out of 5.

rjm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rjm (10)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yet another elegantly blended and delicious offering from Germain. This is a finely cut ribbon with noticeable streaks of virginias, perique, and (i think) some unflavored black cavendish. The tobacco is packaged as solid, hard block which has to broken up and which is not particularly moist. On smoking, there is a lovely full tobacco feel and taste with a slight sweet (I believe) anise topping. I didn't think that I would ever like a anise-topped tobacco, but this is really wonderful. The flavoring is very lightly done; it lingers in the background providing a nice frame for the wonderful perique. The tobacco burns down slowly to a nice, dry ash.

If you like GLP's Haddo's Delight or Tribute, you are going to love this one. Highly recommended.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (126)

A bit of a sleeper in the beginning - nothing too remarkable, other than good basic VA. As I worked into the bowls, however, some excellent sweet tobacco flavors come out, particularly when sipped, P-lip style. At times a licorice or anise flavor comes through. Very nice. 3*.

Pipe Used: Peterson P-lip, XL315

Age When Smoked: Tin code 349111

Purchased From: P&C

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Very tastey VaPer...One of the best I have tried...Virginias are A-1 and Perique comes through as it should...Not too weak...Not too strong...Bit too pricey for me as an all day smoke but, still highly recommended.

Pipe Used: various for testing

Age When Smoked: fresh from Smokingpipes

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)

Damp ribbons in the tin (it's listed as a broken flake here - I wouldn't describe this as broken flake).

Nothing special (and not enough Perique for my taste) but it doesn't wholly disappoint either.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (21)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a pleasant smoke if sipped slowly and gently. Not in the premier league of VaPers, but worth a try. A mild tobacco.

Tough to get started, and a light, cool smoke at first without a lot of perique in the flavor. Once it gets started, though, it's been easy to keep going with lots of smoke rich with perique flavor down to the bottom of the bowl without being overwhelming and without any hint of bite.

As mentioned in other reviews, more of a ribbon than broken flake.

Edit: this really improves a lot as it 'opens up' in the tin. Highly recommended for a mild smoke

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This mixture has the advantage of not being too pumped up by the perique added.

What I mean is that the perique is present in the right proportion: you taste it well but it doesn't take over the VAs. The perique and VAs alternate and bring a nice, spicy smoking experience.

It is well worth the try.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Good, but not exceptional. You will not make a mistake with this blend, but not thrilled too...

My rate: 3.0

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)

Fellow pipe smokers this is a truly wonderful smoke. I find it quit similar to Former's Straight Grain Flake, just a wee bit milder. Wonderful virginia combined with just the perfect amount of perique to make this a mild to medium experience. Yes it has that fruity fragrant found in all Germain/Esoterica Virginia blends but that is what makes their mixtures so unique. Let this blend air for a couple or three hours then have-at-her. If you like Straight Grain Flake and St. Bruno Flake you should find solace in this particular mix. Recommended with no reservations what-so-ever.

cmhpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmhpipesmoker (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is another OK blend from Germain and, like Royal Jersey Latakia, I'm just not overly excited by it. However, I found myself liking this a bit more than RJL. This blend's cut follows suit with RJL and Smokers' Haven OBB and EM (blended by Germain), meaning long, fine cut strings of tobacco in varying dark shades.

From the tin, it has a heavier aroma but also has a "fruitiness" to it. This fruit component is one aspect that initially turned me off but is lost once lit in the bowl. As it aged, it lost most of the fruity aroma and picked up the "tea" aroma I've noticed in other blends.

I found this to be a fairly robust blend in the pipe and appears to be fairly bland. I didn't find much else coming through other than just a heavy, peppery smoke. I would also say it's not an all day blend. For me, it left me a bit light-headed due to the nicotine content.

This, like Roayl Jersey Latakia, is borderline two or three rating but gains a two because I just can't really find anything that intrigues me or would cause me to purchase it again. Like RJL, I feel this is a good quality tobacco, as I believe all of the Germain offerings are, but it's just not for me.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)

The tin opens with a scent of Burley, almost exactly the sweet plummy musk in a tub of Granger. The delicate ribbon cuts form a brick in the tin, but easily shred for decent packing. The Perique is somewhere in there, and may develop with aging. The overall smoke is light as a cracker, and does not distinguish itself much from cheaper brands. My only real buggaboo is its cigarette-like aftertaste. An occassional smoke, but not the Jersey treat I was hoping for, given that Germain is blending for Esoterica.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is (as others have noted) one of those tobaccos where you need to open the tin, seal it back up and revisit the tin in a month. For some reason, Virginia/Perique blends are like this. Case in point, the beloved and now out-of-production Dunhill Elizibethan is horrible straight out of the fresh tin. Give it a month after opening and Elizibethan is "manna"!

At any rate, this doesn't look like your garden variety VA when you open the tin. The tobacco almost has a resemblance to Drum cigarette tobacco, a notch or two brighter in appearance.

A whiff of the tobacco (after opening the tin) is indeed grassy and a bit sour.

I took a pinch of tobacco, cut it up with scissors into manageable pieces and let the tobacco dry out on a plate for 15 minutes until the tobacco no longer clumps together when pinched.

Was I surprised by the smoke? Very balanced, matured VA flavor with the perique in the background; not the peppery presence but a muted sourness, quite masterfully blended I must say. The VA in this blend is high quality, aged leaf. No doubt about it, very smooth on the edges.

If you're looking for PUNCH then this is a middlin' strength blend but the flavor is rather unique in the VA/PER line. A replacement for Elizibethan? No, not enough OOMPH but definitely a keeper in the V/P arena and quite unique in flavor. Again, the Perique isn't up front and really dances in the background.

Finishes well, dry pipe and very little dottle. Cool with no bite when dried and packed correctly. Highly recommended.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

06.30.2007. this tin has now been open for 1½ month, and it has changed caracter through that period of time. the cigar-ish caracter has allmost vanished, and the taste and room note is now a lot closer to (the discontinued) simmon's virginia. pure virginia of very "dry tasting" type - and, i think, a good deal more than just "a subtle quantity of genuine louisiana périque"

06.03.2007. first, a warning: i give it my highest reccomendation, NOT based on my finding it immediatly appealing, but on the fact that it's first class tobacco.

second, i'm almost certain that rjp contains cigar leaf or something very similar to it. this does not come through in the tin aroma which is very perique'ish in its sour-pungent notes, but once you taste the smoke it's evident. the same goes for the room note. my wife normally likes the room note of most of my tobaccos, but this one had her protesting against the cigar smell!

"flue cured", the above description says, but there's certainly something air cured in it, and almost no taste of flue cured virginia. a very slight sweetness akin to orientals, and the sourish perique (though without the plum notes), combined with the mustiness of the "cigar leaf" makes for a tobacco that is indeed very far from the archetypical va-per, escudo.

not a tobacco that i find very usefull on a daily basis, but as a palate cleanser it may work very well for me. nothing at all wrong with the quality.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

A soft, tolerable Va/Perique blend: in spite of the highly acidic, musty and "stinky" smell in the tin, it does not give me stomachache or spinning head like other high-Perique blends do.

It's a bit wet in the tin: this, together with the long strings of the cut (it's NOT a Broken Flake!), might lead to overpacking and airhole clogging, so either dry it a bit or pack loosely.

The taste is smooth, sourish, grassy, but also fruity sweet. Delicate and tasty at the same time.

It burns quite fast due to the fine cut, leaving a clear ash.

Perhaps not memorable, but one of the best balanced Va/Perique tobaccos out there.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

Germain's RJP is welcome Va/P addition to the Royal Jersey family and is of similar quality to RJ Original Latakia, though of course different in character. RJP is not a kick-your-butt perique experience- much milder than 2015, say- but more of a virginia with a perique accent.

My main beef with this blend is the cut. It may say "broken flake" in the notes above, but it is really a fine ribbon cut with some long ribbons. This makes for a messy loading experience in situations, like driving, where full attention cannot be given to the task at hand. The smoke is worth the hassle however.

RJP burns cool for a virginia blend, especially one so finely cut. I have yet to be bitten by it, and find that it could be a fine all-day smoke, if one was into smoking the same blend all day long. (Similar to Two Friends Redwoood that way, only RJP is fruitier.) Even the finish is relatively mild unlike many Va/Ps that get pretty "periqueish" at the end. RJP also does well with DGT, and I often come back to a partially smoked bowl to resume just where I left off.

I still prefer a well-aged 2015 for its strength, but RJP on my short list of Va/P blends, and I often turn to it for a change of pace.

A decent scented Virginia/Perique/Cavendish mixture that is snugly packed in the tin. It is a long-stranded moist leaf that is difficult to pack evenly and keep lit.

The Virginia is bright, light and airy. The Perique remains quietly in the background and the Cavendish produces a unique, aromatic taste that compliments the Virginia & Perique without being overbearing.

This one will never make my starting line-up, but should get some playing time on very rare occasions.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Germain gives us another quality blend. This one is a rather finely cut ribbon of the predominant light to medium brown VAs. The Perique was not prominent visually or in the taste but shows up in the light but slightly spicey room aroma. I normally smoke flakes so the ribbon cut and tin moisture content gave me trouble in mastering my packing techniques. A hard draw and numerous relights were too frequent. For me, too much attention is needed to attain the perfect pack and this has a tremedous effect on the smoke and the overall experience. However, when found, the result was cool, sweet and enjoyable. If you are more experienced with this type of shag, you might enjoy this blend even as an all day smoke.