Black pressed Cavendish, with matured, air-cured and flue-cured tobacco. An old-fashioned style, with plenty of taste.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Blend TypeCavendish Based
The Pipe Guys
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.0
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I found this more mellow than mild, with just a bit more N than something like Carter Hall or SWR. The tin note was very date-like (reminded me of date steam pudding), but while sweetish, this was not a sweet aro by any means. I can see why it doesn't get many very good overall reviews here -- not sweet enough for many aro lovers, too mellow for many VA or VaPer fans, not complex enough for many Oriental lovers, and of course most Latakia lovers would find nothing to love.

For me, this is a very middle-of-the-road relaxing smoke. It hit the spot when I am looking for such a blend; not great by any means, but good overall.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

In the description of this tobacco the cut is broken flake.

If this is the right sample I've sent it isn't.

Not that it matters. I won't be ordering the 50g tin in a hurry.

It's not that it's horrible or anything.

Oh no, no.

The tobacco itself feels rather loose and soft, rather like a Robert Lewis tobacco. Careful loading.

Lots of smoke, when it finally decides to catch.

No taste.

No character.

No smell.

A very sterile tobacco.

No tongue bite as it wasn't worth puffing out.

Don't bother.

owaindav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
owaindav (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Wow. There was only one tobacco that I just decided to toss before I got halfway through the bowl. Now there are two. This stuff bit my tongue like I just started smoking. It has a flavor when it hits the tongue that really turned me off. Kind of a sour flavor. Didn't like this a bit.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After smoking a tin of this blend probably you will never recall of its taste. Nothing special.

My rate: 2.0

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

For me this tobacco had a very stale and gross taste. Reminiscent of milk that has gone sour. The aftertaste was also quite nasty.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was not cheering after tasting this tobacco. I have to admit though that it is a very pleasant tobacco and it is of a high quality. When opening the box, the first thing that impresses you is its color. Dark brown tobacco wrapped in a silver coating. Really strange. It reminds me of the one and only CAMPANILLE. Its flavor is light and discrete without topping the natural taste I seek. The taste reminds VIRGINIA & CAVENDISH that it contains, NOT TOO STRONGLY OF COURSE. It is good but I will not taste it again soon.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I would somewhat recommend this tobacco based simply on the fact that others may be able to detect within it that which my tongue is somehow overlooking. It is a sweet smelling tobacco in the tin, it looks good, and lighting is pleasant enough.

Unfortunately, the entire smoking experience never gets past the 'pleasant enough'. Halfway through the bowl, I was still expecting the mild flavors to begin developing a fuller, richer body; never happened. It simply remained fairly bland, almost palpably so. Toward the very bottom of the bowl, it turned skunky on me. This happened in three different pipes of varying sizes and shapes. Bland, blander, then skunky at the end.

I have noticed that most of Germain's mixtures are rather weak in character, nearly like they were watered down (same problem with the old Three Castles ryo tobacco). They are tasty, but lacking in body and flavor. This is the Niles Craine of pipe tobacco (or possibly his wife Maris).

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)

This tobacco isn't going to blow anyone's socks off. That said, it is a very enjoyable smoke, and quality is really high.

Opening the tin, I am presented with a little brick of tobacco wrapped in some kind of silver-lined plastic, and the silver is peeling off and sticking to some of the tobacco. Not acceptable, and coupled with the stupid square tin, it's almost enough to put a guy onto some other brand. Aroma is Virginia and stewed prunes, not unlike Peterson Sherlock Holmes or even Dunhill Elizabethan.

A mixture of ribbons, leaf bits, and some stems, this stuff packs easy and lit up pretty well. I wonder if the tin was a bit old, because it was not very moist at all.

Smoke is voluminous and pleasant... not a particularly hot burning blend. The pruney smell comes through, and I am reminded of the plummy notes in Presbyterian. In fact, add some orientals and maybe a bit of latakia, and you've got Presby.

Lacking the ashy harshness that Elizabethan gives me, this is a nice mild smoke. Not completely monotone, but not particularly complex. A good choice for one moving from aromatics to English or Virginia blends.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)

I tried this one last week, during a time when resting from heavier blends. This is a standard virginia type blend, which after a short intitial period of having to avoid getting the pipe too hot to prevent tongue bite, settles into a nice rich sweetness that isn't cloying. The burning qualities are fine, although the tobacco in the tin came a lot more moist than I prefer and thus very small traces of white on the dark top pieces. The blend is clearly of good quality, as once it settles down, you can puff away within reason and it's a cool smoke with a nice rich but not overpowering flavor. Not much nicotine buzz, so a nice candidate for a all day or frequent smoke for virginia tobacco lovers looking for something on the mild end of medium. My rating is biased as I've smoked enough virginia to know what I like there, so I won't judge it by the standards of a smoker who prefers latakia blends. If you have a virginia blend you already like, this might not make you change, but given the fullness without an oversweet aroma and taste, this might be a nice change of pace for some.

As an update, I found, to my surprise, that this tobacco mixes very well with heavier blends like Mississippi Mud, or heavy latakia blends. I wouldn't buy it just for that, but if you find yourself disappointed in the can you buy, or find it too mild, then it's a very fixable blend. Also, it has good burning qualities when drier also, as opposed to out of the can. In fact, it burns noticably cooler, on a par with Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend, if not better.