Hans made this mixture, with Tarek in mind back in 1994; at that time, Tarek smoked exclusively English with Latakia. Since then, the mixture has always been marketed with the name you see above. Now, the pouch aroma reveals the sweetness of the VAs, the smokiness of the Latakia, and the oiliness of the Orientals used. Upon lighting we find the tobacco to be very "creamy" and smooth on the palate and a bit spicy in the nose, without being harsh or aggressive; later a taste of "muddy" soil comes through and it is wonderfully complementary to the rest of the tastes present. Gradually you get to realize how complex this mixture is: There is a host of distinct tastes that are never in conflict with each other. This is a great instance of a mixture that allows you to enjoy its wholeness, without losing site of the taste and aroma of its individual ingredient tobaccos. At the end, a slight taste of "lime" develops, and it is a nice way to round off the myriad of tastes enjoyed in the course of the smoke. Combustion is very regular and slow. This is an ideal mixture for moments of relaxation and contemplation.

BrandSchürch
Blended ByHans Schürch
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
PackagingVacuum Sealed Bags; 50g, 100g, 250g, 500g, and Kil
CountryCH
Strength
Taste
Full

One of my favorite blends from this company. All the components is this blend compliment without crowding each other out. I love the spice taste of the perique, which shows through a little more than most of their other blends. It does have some creaminess, but not as much as their Torina blend does. It's exceptionally tasty, and though it has fullness of taste, you can smoke this throughout the day, especially if you like perique, which is noticable, but not overwhelming. It's worth the money to order from Switzerland. It'd be a big hit if sold in America.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A good friend told me that Schurch tobaccos were one of the best kept secrets here in America. After smoking this blend (one of two that I purchased) for the past week, I couldn't agree more. This is one complex, tasty tobacco. Based on the name Tarek's Robusto, I initially thought this was a cigar blend although I don't believe there is any cigar leaf in it. TR is full of body and is nice and spicy too. The blend is very balanced and even though it's pretty strong, it is not a Latakia bomb. I would call it strong in the same vein as the old Murray's 965, maybe a tad stronger. Each component tobacco is in perfect proportion for my tastes. The eight ounces I purchased had some age on it, so you will need to take that into account. I really love good English blends and Tarek's Robusto is among the best I have smoked in a long time, and well worth the added expense of the shipping this from Switzerland. Highly Recommended!

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Is the first Schürch that I tryed.

Very dusty and most of the times the pipe felt “stuffed”. It needs attention in filling. It has Perique that is more intense in the beginning, as soon as you light the pipe, but afterwards it gets very, very calm and not annoying at all. Constant flavour up to the end of bowl. Classic English mix with not a lot of particularities.

It gave me a terrible impression when I opened it and found out how “fresh” it was. It needs to be dried befre smoked.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the 4th Schurch blend I have tried out of the samples I ordered.

Yet another outstanding English mixture from Schurch. This one is not as unique as Torina or Onyx, just good strong English flavor. There is less of the trademark Schurch creaminess than Onyx or Torina. The flavor is outstanding. While the latakia is the key element here, the Virginias and perique are still there. The flavor builds quite nicely to the bottom of the bowl.

Like other Schurch blends, the burning characteristics are excellent. Also, like other Schurchs, I find it smokes better if it is dried out some.

If you want straightforward English flavor, try Tarek's Robusto. If you want something in the English field that perhaps a little different, try Torina or Onyx. I recommend you try them all.

Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bear (24)

Lots of meditation in the past 24. "Just sitting, doing nothing special" as we "Zennies" say. Gettin used to the idea of a 4 month delay in my life's schedule, and smokin' a lot of Latakia. Normally, when It's 115 F. out, I lay off the "Big L", but mood dictates over season at times.... Just polished off the last of a sample that I received of Hans Schurch's "Tarek Robusto", named after that ASP Luminary, Tarek Mandily. Last bowl was my fifth. This review is based upon a compilation of my tasting notes #1-5, though written very much in the present. Product: Schurch Tarek Robusto. Description: English/ Latakia, available at Synjeco. Cost: Price in USD (approx.) 50g $4.90, 100g $9.80, 250g $24.40, 500g $48.80, Kilo $ 97.60 Average shipping time: 5 days (into Tempe, AZ) Packaging: Vacuum sealed bags Appearance: "Wild" cut, though somewhat smaller cut than in most of the other Schurch. Could be as a result of shipping. A little more dust than I am accustomed too, though see above. Pouch aroma: Virginias, Latakias, Orientals (Turkish of some sort), Perique. Pretty complex, with most of the overall note registering a little "higher" in the Olfactory cavity than I'm accustomed. Packs well, no prelight tamping used, due to the density created by smaller flakes. Test drive: Fire hits weed releasing a smooth, dense, almost chewy smoke, reminiscent of walnuts and incense. Pleasantly oily feel on the tongue, without being cloying in any manner. Room note is interesting in that it comes off a little lighter than the mouth filling smoke might indicate. Mid bowl, earth flavors are coming more into play, with the oily feel becoming closer to the Schurch signature creaminess. Mid range of Walnut has been boosted well to complement the pleasant mustiness. Some salt and lime evident in the finish. Mid bowl even better than the fire up. Bottom third: Very earthy, and somewhat muddled, saltiness more accentuated, but (weird) not a trace of the bitterness, smooth to the dottle. Slow even burn all the way. Summary: Well made smoke, with obvious Schurch pedigree, above average strength, average nicotine. Good room note, excellent burning qualities. Recommended. 7 out of 10 Bearclaws -- Bear Graves

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

For the VA smoker that I am that was quite a test. I gracefully got a tin of this from Tarek himself when I bought a pipe from him and I smoked it with my brother outdoors in the summertime. As I knew the ingredients, after the initial light up I said to myself that I would smoke a 3rd of the bowl and give up. It was strong for me, I certainly needed to be sitting down, but it was also very creamy and very interesting. It ended up that I really liked this. There are many Latakia blends that I cannot smoke, even some that make my stomach upset, but this is really interesting and savory. A definite keeper, especially for English enthusisats.

Aris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aris (8)

I have smoke the tinned version.I find this mixture simply outstanding in every respect.I think it's one of the best mixtures out there.I smoke only virginias.This is the only exeption ... Most Higest Recomendation for a Latakia blend. Aris.