A smooth blend of nutty cubed Burley enhanced with Cyprian Latakia and sweetened black Cavendish.

Blended ByWilliam Serad

2.5
ScottishPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScottishPiper (3)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This blend is described as:

A smooth blend of nutty cubed Burley enhanced with Cyprian Latakia and unsweetened black Cavendish. An all-day smoke.

The tin aroma is pleasing, simple, and sweet. The very fine cube cut of the blend requires a traditional pack (1/3, 2/3, full) which limits the consistency of its taste, by making it stronger as time goes on. As I worked through the tin I discovered that this blend must be smoked to incorporate the olfactory senses, as it is completely flavorless, with this note: It first tastes like autumn leaves smell, and as time goes on it tastes like autumn leaves smell when on fire.

This blend is well suited for those with a sensitive palate, as perhaps they could detect the subtleness of the mixture.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Having now reviewed over 50 blends and having smoked a pipe for almost two years now I am really starting to discover what I like and this isn't it. In fact there are few blends that combine Lat and Cav that I like. The two leaves just seem to clash to me and this blend is a perfect example of that disharmony.

The only thing I despise more than bad tobacco is throwing tobacco out, so the best thing I can say about this blend is that I have finally finished it.

I am giving it two stars for the quality and presentation of which C & D never fails to impress and for the fact that some people really like it.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is tailor made for days like today. As I am typing this review it is 90 degrees with about the same humidity. The blend is on the light side, and is best suited for a large pipe. Packed lightly it burns slowly and cool. The blend does not bite and doesn't clog up pipes. It has a nutty and sweet taste and adds just enough Latakia to keep things interesting. The ash is very fine and everything seems to burn at about the same rate. That was rather surprising to me. I could never smoke this blend all day, it is not strong enough and could use about double the Latakia. Otherwise on a hot as heck day, it is a great change of pace.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Canal Boat is Grape Nuts for your pipe; a very chunky cube cut blend which is light on the nose. It's initially a bit hard to get going, but once it does, expect 90 minutes of gentle smoking pleasure in a large, wide bowl. I first tried CB in a Mr. Brog cherrywood potbelly from Poland. This is a calming, relaxed smoke without a dimension of flavors. Aromas are toasty, warm and sweet. I taste very little Latakia here. This is one of the coolest burleys on the tongue. A gentle smoking experience I'd like to enjoy every now and again. Nice tin art, too!

Three of five stars

It's hard to judge this blend...

The first bowls seemed quite full-tasted to me (lots of Latakia, and some robust burley presence) and not very complex, good and in-your-face. The cubed burley has its usual earthy, nutty quality you have come to expect from C&D. The black cavendish provides the sweet note that it's usually due to Virginias in traditional EMs. My wife likes the weird combination because she says it has a room note which reminds of a bakery.

After some days, the taste started to become smoother, but also less impressive, blander. The bitterish note from the interplay of latakia and burley becomes more evident, too.

I also suspect that this blend is guilty of making a pipe bitter: all the pipes I smoked it in have turned out very bad-tasting, almost unsmokable, in a very short period of time. I had to resort to a deep reaming and to the alcohol and salt method to restore them to a smokable state!

So, there is good stuff here but I'm not completely happy about it... I don't know if I will want to buy it again.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this the other day, and was lucky enough to have a tin that was already aged almost two years, and I gotta say I liked it quite a bit. When I opened the tin, I was greeted with a nice earthy scent, mixed with a bit of latakia and just a touch of something sweet. The cubed burley looks and packs great. The taste and room aroma are pleasing to me. You can taste the earthiness of the burley and the latakia comes through just a enough to notice it. If you are a heavy latakia lover than this isn't it. This is burley, with a bit of latakia, just enough to let you know you are having some, and just a hint of something sweet, the cavendish. This is a nicely done, recommended tobacco and I will buy another and keep some lying around. The tobaccos all blend together just right for what it is. Almost forgot to say, it burns a bit more warm than my other blends, but I didn't get any tongue bite, and I like a room full of smoke, so I puff at a fairly brisk pace. It burnt down to a nice, grey ash and left barely anything.

FUN WITH C&D SAMPLES, Vol III, No. IX (the Final Chapter in this volume).

It seems my amigo strongirish has scooped me on this one. His review accurately sums up my feelings on this. I think it's a fine blend for what it is but I simply did not care for the flavor. The components simply dumb one another down to the point where none of them performs as I believe they should.

I find this to be similar to Tinderbox's Sherlocks Choice, but I find that blend to smoke better on those rare occasions that I smoke it. This one appears to be of high quality but the flavor I get is not to my liking. Recommended perhaps as a crossover blend for those curious about latakia but still want a tobacco that is sweetened by slightly less than natural means.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

Smooth and easy, but nothing else. A pleasure in a sunny autumn day. A little sweetness smoked by latakia. The result is nice....but nothing else.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

All I can say is this is a winner, the Burley and Latakia taste great together and the Cavendish add's alittle sweetness. Good job!

I usually love anything C and D burley as I think Craig makes one heck of a good burley. However, this one fell flat for me. Not a bad blend really but nowhere like the many other fine blends from this blender. I has a very smokey sweet pouch aroma and is a mix of dark and light rough cut tobaccos. It is on the dry side which I like, but it loaded easily into my pipe and was very easy to light and stayed lit well. It has a sweet latakia flavor to start with and the Latakia smokiness continues to build as it is smoke down. It burned well and dry and all the way down with no moisture nor dottle in the bottom of my pipe. Just a dark gray ash. but it was very one dimentional and never developed into anything that gave me pleasure. The black cavendish never added much of anything but sweetness and the burley was kept from adding it's flavor by the Latakia. To sum up, I would not buy again as Craig has too many better blends to smoke.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This review is of the "Constipated Cockroach" version, tin #151 of 200 that I won on Ebay. The tin shows a cartoon cockroach sitting on the head with a pipe stuck in his angry looking face, reading a pipe magazine with fiber puffs, milk of magnesia, ex-lax, etc. lying about his feet. I have had the tin opened for some time now and the tobacco is bone dry but still pleasant to smoke. And pleasant to smoke is how I would describe it. What's in a name, after all? Canal Boat is perhaps a better (though less amusing) name, because smoking this is like a pleasant boat trip on a serene canal. I'm not really a burley guy, but this cubed burley is mild, with 0.000000% bite, and the touch of Latakia and Cavendish are a perfect complement. There is also a slight bitterness to it that I find intriguing. I will have to try some of the newer incarnation (think my tin is 2001?) and see how it compares. I have about eight small bowlfuls of this Craig-signed masterpiece left, and will savor them well when I can bear to crack this unique tin.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

To start with, this is the first so matured tobacco I have ever smoked.

I found a box of the old Cornell & Diehl packaging. It is a strange flavored/English mixture. The Latakia gives a peculiar flavor, though it is absorbed more than in other tobaccos. The perique cubes are not easily burnt. Good tobacco, which does not cause coughing.

It has, though, a prominent ?burnt straw? taste and aroma, present in all Cornell &Diehl tobaccos.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a chunky cut, but is never a problem to load. I tend to pack this one a little on the loose side and dont have any problems. This is a sweeter blend with the addition of the sweetened cavendish. The nutty burley is in the forefront with the sweet cavendish following close behind. I didnt detect very much latakia but it does seem to be there in small amounts. I like this every once in a while and would recommend it!

This is for the crossover smoker. It combines the best elements of an Aromatic/English blend.The Burley is nutty and the black cavendish sweet. It is the Latakia that adds that certain something to the blend. This can be described as a COMPLEX aromatic. It stays naturally sweet with an English edge to it. A great all day smoke. You must be careful puffing though, the cube cut burley heats up the pipe quickly if not handled properly. 3 of 4 stars.

Revised 04-14-2005

I really enjoy this blend from time to time. When you open the tin, you are greeted by wonderful cubed burley, medium-cut latakia and cavedish. The tin aroma is nutty and smoky. Packs easily, I prefer it in Group 5-6 bowls. At first light, you get the typical grassy odor common to burley. After relight, (which will probably not need anymore lighting due to the perfect moisture)it settles into a nice smooth, semi-sweet smoke. This is could be an all day blend. Towards the bottom of the bowl,a nice interplay between the sweet cavendish and nutty burley intensifies with the latakia as the background.One last note, puff slowly as this can nip the tongue. Aging this blend smoothes out the bite as well.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I've been smoking this one in a couple of contexts, while driving about in commuter traffic (with a pipe cape on) or on breaks at work. My intention was to have a vacation from the black cavendishes I often use for casual smoking. I found it pleasant, and the latakia a welcome addition of some spice. My feelings on burley blends run towards neutral, I don't have an emotion about that type one way or another. I won't make a judgement about what a burley lover should think about this, I wouldn't be qualified, but I did find this a nice smoke, easy to pack, the flavor comes on consistently and fast (when I'm only packing a partial pipe). I did remark on an earlier version of this review that I would just finish the tin and not buy another, but as I've smoked this one, I've found it has it virtues, and is a good short coffee break smoke, or to smoke while traveling. If you like burley based blends, this isn't bad a t all, and for someone like me, it almost convinces.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recieved a 1 ounce sample of this when I bought a few pipes online. I was realy kind of taken by surprise on this one in that it had some elements that I was not expecting. From the description I thought this would be more complex, while not very complex in layers of flavor I must say that the overall "flavor" of this blend is good. Very odd but good. There is an odd play off the burley and latakia and the aromatic agent. The aromatic agent in this is odd as well, maybe a fruit punch of some sort? This blend is in its own category as I don't realy know how to classify it. I guess the best I can think of is an odd latakia crossover blend of sorts. This is very good though. It smokes very cool and left the walls of my pipes clean. While this is not an every day smoke for me I do very much enjoy it when I am in the mood for something totally differant. Highly recommended for the adventurous or those interested in trying high quality, unconventional blends in that this does not fall into a typical genre of blend.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Extremely Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The description of this blend as being "smooth" is accurate. It is much smoother and rounder than most Burley-based blends. However, I did not care for the addition of the Black Cavendish. It took what I thought would be a nutty/natural tasting tobacco with hints of Latakia, and turned it into something sweet. Not a bad tobacco per se, I just did not care for the sweet/smokey interplay.

In sum, if you like Latakia blends with a bit of sweetness, you might like this. If you are looking for that Burley taste, this probably is not for you.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

FURTHER ADDENDUM: I finally isolated the taste and smell of this tobacco. First, I readily admit that taste and smell are highly evocative and very subjective. But, for the life of me, the smell and taste of this tobacco reminds me of Lysol Disinfectent Household Cleaner. The chemistry between the two of us is all wrong.

I serve as a chaplain in a state prison. As they are mindful of what enters and leaves the institution, I brought in a new pipe and a new tobacco to stay in my office. The pipe is unremarkable but adequate. The first tobacco is Canal Boat by Cornell & Diehl.

I smoke under some limitations, only outside and only during breaks. So, my time with the new tobacco are rather brief. These conditions do doubt qualify my impressions. The tobacco itself is very dry, the most dry tobacco I've ever purchased. The scent in the tin is quite strong, predominantly Latakia.

I only smoke half a bowl at a time, due to the constraints of time. It packs well and lights easily. It burns well. It does get a little harsh on the tongue, but I may be pushing it due to my above mentioned time limits. Straight Burleys and Virginias, such as McClelland 2015 are pleasant and enjoyable to my taste. My tongue handles them well.

Addendum: Not one to judge rashly, I gave Canal Boat another chance. I brought my tin home, added a little moisture to the dry course cut tobacco and tried it twice in a rather large 1/4 bent briar. The added moisture seemed to improve the flavor. It doesn't have the strong astringent, taste. It burned slow and evenly, though I had to be careful of tongue bite. All in all, there are much better tobaccos out there in my opinion. And the rewards are not worth the effort this tobacco requires.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

Canal Boat is basically cube-cut burley with generous helpings of Latakia and Black Cavendish. It smokes cooly with little bite even in new pipes and, in fact, might make an excellent smoke for breaking in new pipes. It is a midly sweet, stout blend with a great deal of "bottom."

As with all Cornell and Diehl offerings, the tin is crammed to overflowing with a fairly dry tobacco that needs some rehydration to smoke at its best. This tobacco also does well with some age--I found it markedly improved after about three months.

Canal Boat smokes best for me in a meerschaum or a cob. In some, not all briars, the underlying bitterness of the blend was a bit much for my tastes.

Overall, this tobacco works best for me as a basic "manual labor" smoke to chew on in a cob while you're clearing brush or otherwise employed as a manly-man. I also found it a good companion for woodworking, where the focus can't be on smoking technique and the pipe is often set aside.

Not at first blush a tobacco I thought I'd like, I wound up smoking the entire tin in a wide variety of pipes and formed some affection for this fairly odd blend. Having never smoked Barking Dog, or some of the other classic "American English" blends, I wonder whether this might be a modern attempt to provide a similar smoke.

All in all, well worth a try and a good, honest smoke, well-made and an interesting spin on the Burley experience.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)

I was actually quite surprised with how much I like this recent addition to Cornell & Diehl's fine selection of pipe tobaccos. I've recently become more interested in burley based blends and I believe that Craig Tarler is doing some of the finest work out there with Burleys.

From a visual and tactile perspective, this tobacco is distinctly interesting. I love the way cube-cut Burley looks and adore the crumbly feel of the small cubes. Given the size of the cubes and the small cut on the Latakia and Cavendish, this would be a superb tobacco in a smaller pipe (as I review this, I'm smoking it in a smallish La Normandy Dublin). It is difficult ot visually separate the black Cavendish from the Latakia, so it is difficult to determine proportions before smoking the mixture.

The tin aroma is decidedly sweet, with just a hint of Latakia. Even in the tin nose, the origin of the Latakia is immediately obvious (Cyprian Latakia). The combination of the sweetness and the smokiness in the tin aroma makes for a decidedly unusual, and pleasant, smell.

The flavor is much as one would expect given the components and tin nose. However, the Latakia does become more pronounced in the smoking than it was in the tin. Nuttiness bubbles up from the Burleys and slight sweetness comes from the Black Cavendish as well as that overriding smokey, earthy flavor from the Latakia. The Cavendish doesn't seem nearly as pronounced in the smoking as it seemed in the tin. From the tin aroma, I had also assumed that there was a top note of fruit juice or a little bit of sweet liquour, but I can't detect it in the smoking.

On the whole, though it is not really my favorite style of blend, I think this would prove to be a superb mixture for the lover of mild Englishes or mild Aromatics. The crossing over between the two styles has become more common lately and I believe that this is among the better that I have tried. An excellent change of pace for either the smoker of Englishes or the smoker of Aromatics-- of which, I am neither.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

essages Recently, I had the good fortune of obtaining a generous sample of one of Cornell and Diehl's new blends (available in late June 2001). This blend was humorously introduced at the Chicago show as "The Constipated Cockroach", complete with appropriately scatological graphic, in a limited run of 200 tins. Since the tobacco was rec'd with so much favorable response, the Tarlers decided to release it in the Summer catalogue. Hereafter, it will be known as "Canal Boat".

What can I say about such a subtle pleasing blend? Good pedigree from a reputable blender; conceived and suggested by William Serad,tobacco reviewed and commentator, of note, and Craig Tarler, blender. It is a cube cut burley,latakia and unsweetened black cavendish blend with great pouch aroma. Visually, there are browns and blacks of the components. It would appear that there are equal amounts of each component tobacco. The latakia and cavendish are quite discernible in the aroma but there is an undertone of the warmth and nutty quality of burley. It is a little moister to the touch than the regular C&D blends, but not overly so.

To date, I have had about twenty bowls in six or seven different pipes, and each provided a consistent experience. It lights easily and stays lit. The first taste sensations seem to be the sweeter cavendish but not with the sweetness of a cased blend, which leads to the spicier qualities of the latakia balanced finally by the earthiness of the burleys. After about 1/4 of the bowl, the smoke evens out with a smoothness and an interplay of burleys and cavendish. You know that there is latakia but it never overwhelms the tastes. The smoke is fairly consistent throughout, tamping easily and w/o much moisture. The last 1/4 of the smoke, perhaps less, fades away gradually w/o any bitterness. The dottle was fairly dry and about 1/2 the time almost non existent. It smoked better in a medium pipe than a large bowl, but I will try smoking it in a larger bowl. Canal boat smoked best, I thought, in a large bent meerschaum, a pipe of which I was not particular fond but may have been rescued by this blend.

I have to say that I enjoyed the smoke w/o much qualification, although I did not smoke 3 or 4 bowls in succesion in the same pipe which I will do to judge the "everydayness" of a tobacco. I think that those of you who are aromatically inclined might give this one a try, for its pleasant natural aromas w/o casing.

I am an unapologetic fan of C&D tobaccos. Their venture into burley based blends have done much to restore the credibility of burleys to a new world of smokers. Even so, this new blend is an intriguing venture in balancing the natural aroma of the unsweetened black cavendish with the cube cut burleys. Very tasteful and light on the palate even after smoking bowls in succession.