Light and reddish Virginia Tobacco in different cuts blended with a very mild Black Cavendish and a fresh tropical fruit aroma.

BrandOcean Liner
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Medium to Strong
Medium, Medium to Strong, Extra Strong
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Mild, Medium
1.0
geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It has a BEAUTIFUL tin but the contents ain't all that. I've tried this in every pipe that I own and I STILL haven't been able to get it to smoke well. In accordance with other viewers, the stuff's topping has a tendency to numb the tongue (the next morning is hell, btw), and the only fruit topping that you can taste is the lucky occasional puff that is cooler than the rest where you can inhale the smoke through your nose. But that only happens occasionally; as aromatics are well known for, this stuff smokes really really hot.

I don't think it's the worst I've ever had; far from it. But since it's discontinued I don't have to feel guilty saying that I won't be buying any more of it. The rest I'll see if it's worth keeping or if the space it takes up in my humidor jar is better suited to something else and this would make a better garden mulch in my backyard...

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This whole "Ocean Liner" series is being discontinued. The tins were utterly gorgeous, the tobaccos inside, not surprisingly, the lowest aromatic crap.

This one reproduces a particularly pretty Wilhelmine-era illustration of a steamer bound for the Kameroons, framed in lush foliage.

The tropikalische Frucht junk it contained is already at the bottom of the sea, where it belongs. The container is mine, MINE, all mine!

Hauser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hauser (16)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I had to wait a few weeks to review this tobacco. After trying the Black & Gentle in the series, I was afraid this blend would have the same nightmarish qualities to it. I am happy to report it does not, but that doesn't mean it's good. It merely means it doesn't assault your mouth in the same way horrific way. Where as the Black and Gentle left me praying for death's sweet release as it's sulphurous qualities seemingly disintegrated the tissue in my mouth and throat, the Black and Bright merely numbs your mouth like Chloraseptic the oral anesthetic. As a result, I couldn't taste anything as I smoked it which resulted in zero pleasure from the blend. The description on the tin says it is a mix of red and bright Virginias with Black Cavendish and has a Tropical Fruit topping. Not only couldn't I taste the tobacco, I couldn't taste the topping with my mouth having been rendered numb within the first 10 puffs or so. I also couldn't identify the topping as being tropical fruit from the room odor which was pleasant but not exceptional. I understand the line has been discontinued which is no loss to the pipe smoking world.