Three Burley tobaccos, two Virginias, and a touch of unsweetened black Cavendish form a classic American blend, hearkening back to the days when Burley was king in American pipe tobacco blends.

Notes: Reminiscent of old original Bond Street blend.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Blend TypeBurley Based
Strength
Taste

3.4
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an excellent burley blend. I can see some black cavendish in the loose tobacco, but it is not flavored. There is not much Virginia here, but it contributes to a slightly sweet note every now and then. This is mostly burley goodness. The taste profile has some oats and has some bitter notes especially in the last half of the bowl.

Think of a slightly stronger Carter Hall with no topping. If you like burley, you will like this blend. There is a certain satisfying quality to Pegasus, and I find it very easy to knock out the ashes and load another bowl. My last purchase was a pound.

Edit 6/15: I have almost finished a second pound of this since the initial sample and then 4 oz to "round out" an order. I think this is easily one of the best "all-day" blends out there. It is a very good smoke.

Edit 8/15: Bob Runowski is the man. This blend grows on you. I am enjoying this one enough I am going to bump it to a 4 "everyone should try this."

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The burleys are nutty with a touch of molasses, and are a little toasty and earthy with a slight sharpness (from the white burley), and are the star components. The Virginia is grassy with a little citrus in a supporting role. The unsweetened black cavendish smooths out the burleys a little with some brown sugar. Burns at a reasonable pace, fairly cool with a consistent flavor, though it can get a little bitterness in the last quarter of the smoke. Leaves virtually no moisture and won't bite even if you push it, but I suggest a moderate pace. Needs few relights. Has a little nicotine and is a rather comfortable all day smoke.

Based on my hazy memory of Bond Street, I think Bob Runowski did very well. This is a burley/VA/cavendish blend with a predominantly burley taste and a nice room note. I liken this one to Hearth & Home's LJ Heart Burley. This one burns more cleanly than LJ Heart but doesn't have quite the flavor explosion. It reminds me of a cereal I use to love as a young man - Fortified Oat Flakes. A nice, oaty, slightly sweet flavor.

As with a lot of C&D blends, the cut of this one is all over the map. As always, I'm amazed that it burns evenly but I blend on occasion for myself and I leave the blending for others to the professionals. If you enjoy a nice, lightly sweet, meaty blend that can be smoked all day and you've eschewed burleys in the past, this is one good place to start with burley blends. I doubt I'll return to this one very often but it was a nice experience.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Pegasus is among the world's most perfect tobaccos. It is positively transcendent in a way that I would never encounter through tobacco. Cornell & Diehl employ some of the finest burleys to be found on the market today, and it appears that nearly all types of this leaf that they had to offer went into this blend in perfect proportion. For those sad folk for whom perfect burleys are not enough, two Virginias were added, and this only seemed to deepen the flavor without making it over-sweet, over sweet in the Virginia sense, mind ye.

For a perfect hint of sweetness, so slight but so skillfully executed, we have the black Cavendish. Easily the finest example of black Cavendish that can be found, almost what I imagine the old Rattray's Virginia based black Cavendish to have been like, not that I am old enough to have tasted that particular leaf. Is this all that is required to achieve true tobacco perfection? So it would seem.

This is the blend, along with Prince Albert, of course, that turned me into a devoted smoker of classic American-style mixtures. I have gone through more than five pounds of the stuff so far and the gods only know when I will let up. Be warned, once Pegasus casts her spell, it is not easily broken.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

This is one of my favorite tobaccos. As a rule I love burley and more specifically I love burley from C&D. It's of very high quality and always brings me enjoyment. Contentment in a tin.

I think of this tobacco as a comfortable pair of slippers, your favorite robe or a well worn pair of jeans. It's certainly not fancy or "complex" but it is satisfying and relaxing.

In the tin I see cubed, dark and white burley with what must be a little darker unflavored cavendish and a small amount of Virginia that must provide the gentle sweetness. This blend has a nice gentle sweetness that perfectly matches the nutty burley and has the very slightest hint of cigar notes from the dark burley. It has a nice full oat like flavor at times that almost reminds me of cereal grains. The nicotine is squarely in the medium range and I would rate it slightly above Prince Albert (another favorite if that helps you with my take on the review).

The blend burns well and I would recommend a light gravity type load with a light tamp at the beginning. I also like to load up my pipe and leave it overnight. Although the blend already seems dry the cubed burley seems a bit moist and burns a lot better after drying out a bit. Tongue bite is pretty much non-existent although I would recommend a slow smoking pace since I seem to get the most out of this blend by going slow. No need to hurry!

Overall this is a wonderful that I will most certainly be stocking up on and dedicating a pipe or two to it. Pegasus satisfies, relaxes and is another winner from C&D.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (63)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I'm with TallPuff on this one. Pegasus is hands down the best of the Cornell & Diehl burleys.

Not that I've tried them all. An impossible feat for most of us. But if I did, I could almost smell the disappointment. Simply put, Pegasus gets everything exactly right. Let me try to explain why.

Burley excels at providing a slow-burning, satisfying flavourful and fragrant smoke. The only potential downside is ashiness. If puffed too hard or fast, burley can turn on you. Giving a harsh, acrid unpleasant experience.

Pegasus builds in an extra layer of protection against ashiness, in the form of a small admixture of Virginia tobacco. Not enough to taste on its own, mind you, but enough to mellow out the strong burleys used in this blend. Fortunately there's no temptation to overpuff this one: even the tiniest sips give a LOT of flavour, aroma and satisfaction.

Then there's the unsweetened black cavendish, which has a beautiful toasty flavour and bewitching aroma. Fortunately it's not the aromatic type of BC which frankly I can't stand: no added fragrances are detectable. Instead, the unsweetened BC used in Pegasus is more like a spice tobacco that prevents this burley-heavy blend from ever becoming monotonous. And it works beautifully. Just the perfect amount.

When I first fired up my initial bowl of Pegasus, it struck me as being of medium strength. But by the time I finished, I definitely knew I'd had a smoke. Because it's STRONG. Make no mistake ... you want to take your time with this one.

For what it's worth, I did have the occasion to smoke Bond Street about 40 years ago. And I must say that Pegasus reminds of that experience: captivating aroma, full-bodied, and dry smoking. The blender of Pegasus definitely knew what he was doing. No doubt about it.

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Purchased From: Online Vendor

Similar Blends: House of Windsor - Bond Street.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent choice for folks who want a burley blend thats a bit sweet with no Perique. Excellent quality 100% good smokable tobacco without nasty bits to pick out. Very easy to light and smoke hard without any bite. Initial flavor of beer and honey drifts toward popcorn as the bowl is finished. This is an honest medium strength blend, suitable for a medium to large pipe. Very nice with pale beer on a warm day. Excellent aftertaste with a very faint smoky beard note, as if you'd just had a very mild Balkan mix. I could sit on the porch and smoke this wonderful stuff all day!

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Spool COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! This one blew me away. to my tastes this is hands down the best of the C & D Burleys that I have tried. It is a codger burley with gravitas. If puffed hard this will come off as pretty harsh and ashy as many C & D Burleys do, but at the right tempo the smoker is treated to a perfect amount of nutty sweetness you would expect from a codger burley.

A forum friend sent me about a five bowl sample of this and I puffed through it in two days. I don't know why I bothered to put it in a jar. I find many of C & D burleys to be overwhelming a bit in both taste and nicotine, but the Cavendish seems to settle this one down enough to make it more palatable. The nicotine is there and does dance along the line of overwhelming. I kind of like this so to me this is perfect.

As for the room note, I really can't give an answer as my two days of smoking it didn't include any other objective noses around, but the sidestream was fantastic. Very pleasant pipey aroma you would expect from a codger burley. I liked this better than Jack knife plug, which is saying a lot as I enjoy that blend immensely.

I wouldn't say it is as good as ABF, but it is such a different blend it isn't fair to even compare the two. I would hold this closer in performance to some of Uhle's offerings, but fuller in body and stronger in the nic.

I have listed the flavoring as very mild, but am not sure whether the Cavendish is topped at all, it just seems a little sweeter than what I would expect from a non topped blend.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

Very relaxing, old fashioned blend. Typical C&D Burley goodness. Sweet, Nutty, Smooth and Strong. The Virginias add a bit of sweet and spicy to the mix while the cavendish smooths it all out making for a relaxing, tasty all day smoke.

Being a burley lover I decided to go through C&D's bulk burley blends and ordered an ounce of this, Big n' Burley and Morley's best. All three are great blends in their own right but as an all day blend Pegasus takes the cake. Very soon after receiving my sample of Pegasus I went online and ordered 4 more ounces. Its that good! Everyday I have at least one bowl of this fantastic burley blend.

Also, the room note is fantastic. The roommates tell me its nutty, smokey and sweet. Like homemade cookies with a pipe smoke smell (obviously).

This blend has also been a huge help for me trying to cut back and eventually quite the cigarette smoking. Smoking a bowl of this on my way to work instead of two or three cigarettes has really made the cab of my truck smell amazing! but for those trying the pipe to quite cigarettes I'd advise you NOT to inhale your pipe. 1 that defeats the purpose of losing the nicotine dependency and 2, blends like this one will destroy your throat if your brave enough to inhale! Pipe smoking is about sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the flavors of your tobacco. and for that Pegasus is, in my opinion among the best of the best.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

The third blend in what I refer to as "Bob Runowski's Holy Trinity." Pegasus is an enjoyable smoke, although after indulging myself with Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz, I must admit that I miss having a little perique tucked in with my burley. The flavor of Pegasus is most certainly burley driven; it’s nutty, earthy and slightly sour with touch of bitterness. The Virginia does add a delicate natural sweetness to the mix and the Cavendish gracefully softens the edges.

There's an excellent balance of bite free flavor here and just like Haunted Bookshop, the more I smoke this blend, the more I want to smoke it. Pegasus does have a bit of a kick to it, but this is a nice starter mixture for anyone looking for good ol' fashioned sweet tobacco flavor. A perfect blend for a well seasoned cob.

Pipe Used: Cob & Briar

This blend is nicely balanced between the Burleys and the Virginias. Can't say that I noticed the Black Cavendish. Nice body, nice flavor, and satisfying. I like it for an occasional treat.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The combination here works. I especially enjoyed the cavendish "nut like" flavor that came on strong with the Burley, particularly over the last half of the bowl. The Virginia stayed in the backround from start to finish, but did lend to what I termed a solid "bottom" once I got there.

I've had better tobacco, but I've also had a lot worse. The 50g tin was worth the price. I was reminded of days gone by - good ones, I might add - while smoking this tobacco. I think Grandpa would have enjoyed it, too.

fogpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fogpipe (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was prompted to register by seeing this tobacco had only 3.3 stars. Pegasus is my everday go to tobacco. Great burley with just the right amount of sweetness added by the va and cavendish. Its an exceptional smoke new but with a few months of age gets even better. "Hits the spot" for me almost everytime.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)

This blend from start to finish was a great smoke. It was medium bodied, and I would be very hesitant to call it an aromatic. Don't get me wrong, this blend does smell amazing.

The taste throughout was just a great Burley blend. There was a few hints of Virginia, but not much. The cavendish was unnoticeable, but made it a great full smoke that burned evenly.

Not much else to say, a great blend.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)

I did not mean to age this blend intentionally. It didn't get on base with the first few pipefuls nor did it strike out. It got 'archived'/bottom of the piled. Every now and then I'll sit on my deck with a handful of pipes and a pile of tobaccos and conduct a tongue-fry festival with a review of blends. This time the Peg pegged it. I like a bit of sweetness, I do not appreciate most true (black cav based) aro's, many straight Va's with high sugar bbq my taste buds. I like burley blends. If this sounds like your profile, you like burley's plus 'something', this will make you a happy camper. I wouldn't recommend puffing on it like a Wagnerian tuba player but shy of that you'll still be able to enunciate clearly with no problem. Highly recommended.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Pegaus.

Aside from a few chunky bits of black Cavendish the blend's been pretty well broken. There's nothing special about the pouch-note, and the moisture's great.

The flavour depends on how you load: if you want it sweet put more of the few black Cavendish pieces in, or less for a savoury smoke. This is based on my method of just randomly stuffing some in. The initial quarter is mainly Burley, with the others joining in a little later. When they join the pack I'm surprised to get more vanilla from the black Cavendish than the appearance suggested I would.

Now a few negatives: it burns too warm, and also too fast. And then, towards the end of my first bowl I noticed the bite from it.

The nicotine's medium, and the room-note's tolerable at best.

Not the best I've had from C+D:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2014 #03

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: 4noggins

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I have been a huge fan of Bob's blends since the early 2000's and was really saddened at his passing, but like all legends, his blends live on for future generations to enjoy. Pegasus came packaged dry with the usual C&D Burley rough cuts (wild cuts) and a fresh hay, almost vegetal aroma in the tin, no aromatic essence whatsoever. Whereas OJK and Haunted Bookshop can beat you up with their Burley and Perique 1-2 punch, Pegasus keeps things subdued with the addition of unflavored Cavendish. The Burleys, Virginia and Cavendish all work in harmony to make a Medium strength Burley blend that has an OK room note but not one in which you will win any friends within smelling distance. I think Haunted Bookshop could benefit from having a little of this Cavendish added or perhaps adding a little Perique to Pegasus, either way I feel I am missing a little spice in this blend but it is pretty good otherwise.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've recently been in a "hold the latakia" phase. Maybe it's the Summer weather that drives me to Burley blends, maybe it's just that I like 'em. I believe it's a given that C&D are one of the premier blenders of Burleys and I tried this one out after pouring through reviews, looking at component tobaccos, etc. hunting for blends that featured Burley along with VA. Perique, and perhaps other condimentals...but NO LATAKIA. An innocent little tin of 'Exhausted Rooster' kicked me into gear. If you haven't tried it and you have any affection for Perique, then you need to get some ASAP. THIS one (Pegasus) was purchased via an online sale in an 8 oz. tin on the basis of reviews here. To my delight, the tin I got was put up in September of '07. Nice! (I got another tin, of VA Gentleman in the same order that was put together in March of '06!) You can read other reviews here for the nitty gritty of this or that nuance...it's all pretty personal or often depends on the pipe in which it's smoked. But this is certainly a high quality, well flavored blend that should suit the likes of Burley smokers. Of special note to me is that in some ways it mirrors the flavors found in Edegworth Ready Rubbed, but smokes cleaner in my experience. Some have commented on what might be a flavoring added...it's slight, and if anything it reminds me of dark molassas...adding to the deep Burley flavor in a very positive way. Call it a semi-aromatic if you will. To me, there are a number of Semi's out there in which the added flavoring enhances the tobacco blend in question - a whisper as opposed to a shout - this is one of those cases. Burley usually needs SOMETHING added to get it off the ground a bit, asside from the high quality tobaccos used this one was designed with a deft hand.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

Wow! This surprised me. I bought an 8oz tin on description alone and really like it as a go to blend at any time of the day. Great aroma, perfect burn, flavor that is nutty with a faint background sweetness. I will be devouring this over the summer and will definitely be stocking some for the future. Great price too for the half pound tin.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have tried most of the C&D burley blends, but I left this one out until now because I usually do not care for cavendish. This blend, though, is really very nice. It's predominantly a burley taste, but the Virginias are definitely there. The cavendish does just what it is supposed to do and smooths the whole blend together beautifully. There are no rough edges on this one. It's a pleasant smoke from top to bottom, and leaves only a little white ash when it's gone. Highly recommended.

Edited 11 Feb 2010:

Four years later and this blend has only improved in my estimation. The thick, silky mouth feel that the cavendish provides is what sets this blend apart from other C&D burley blends. And, at the same time, it maintains the nutty burley taste that I love and never seem to tire of. This one stays at four stars for me.

UncleSquinty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleSquinty (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From reading the description I had high hopes that this one would be my All Day Buddy. Except for one significant characteristic of this blend, it would have been.

Flavorful is the word. Burley is IMHO more of an aroma absorber, much as tofu tastes of the food with which it is cooked. Yes, there is sometimes a semi-sweet, nutty or bready taste... and as often with inferior burleys, graphite dust and Marlboro ashes.

Enter Pegasus on hyperbolic wings. Strong as the mythical flying horse...and therein lies the problem: The stuff is too strong to be smoked bowl after bowl all day long.

Friends, I am a nicotine junkie with the tolerance of ten mortal men. I eat Irish Flake like cornflakes for breakfast. (exagerration for effect...), and this delicious, devious mixture impresses me.

I never smoked Bond Street, although I remember the name. The room note of this is classic "cool old guy in the barbershop puffing on his old Kaywoodie" smell, nostalgic, clean, slightly sweet and definitely tobacco-masculine. It nowadays would be found to be offensive to the tender millenial nose.

Moisture and cut are flawless, ensuring a fabulous burn. In my M.M. Country Gentleman Oakwood a loosely packed bowl required only one light after the charring light to burn the tobacco down to soft ash. No relights were required. In a large '70's vintage meer billiard, results were identical. In a group 1 Stonehaven pocket pipe as well. Light tamping and a regular but relaxed puffing cadence were the only other requisites.

Taste to me was a very rounded burley with a surprisingly strong bottom note. The white burley and perhaps, the cubed are more than a bit bitter, and the dark burley softens the bite, yielding a buttery note to the nutty overall profile. The Virginias are used with wise restraint and in good taste, sweetening but also freshening the smoke and giving it further tenor notes. The alto section, unsweetened black cavendish is ridiculously small but softens the more strident sopranos in the burley section.

This is delicious from first puff to last spark, especially if a regulated and soft smoking style is maintained. Yes, this will get ashy and bitter if overworked, but soft smokers will be rewarded by overall continuity of flavor punctuated with subtle variations as the cavendish and Virginia bits are encountered.

Great DGT tobacco, although can taste a bit more ashen and burnt if not ignited with care.

I am certain that I could add something to this to dilute the nicotine a bit and turn it into an all-day smoke, but I wouldn't. This tobacco is a true 4/4 stars blend that is perfect as blended. A reasonable pairing might be with a light ale or pilsner.

Pipe Used: M.M. Country Gent, meer billiard, briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from bulk

Purchased From: Online

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (11)

I am liking this immensely. Nice and tangy. I've heard it likened to Haunted Bookshop (which I don't love) without the perique. I do like perique, however. At any rate, this is very tasty stuff.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog no. 39 and others

Purchased From: I forget

Similar Blends: I've heard it likened to Haunted Bookshop..

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)

This is an awesome burley-based blend. Not quite a set and forget blend for me, when I pay attention is when I see this tobaccos charm most. The three burleys are nutty and toasty with oats. The Virginia is bright and grassy sweet. I get a honey sweetness from the black cavendish which brings the whole blend together. I taste honey-nut cheerios when I smoke this one. Great combustability, room note, and consistent flavor.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Another great blend from the late Bob Runowski, Pegasus is a solid old-school Burley blend with enough of a nic hit to satisfy. Burley, Virginia, and unflavored black Cavendish meld together in a hearty smoke that I've found that I enjoy quite a bit. A little bitter Burley, a little toasty Cavendish, and a nice sweetness from the Virginias.

This blend is not even close to being complex, but its charm is its simplicity. A great smoke for when you just want to puff away and not preoccupy yourself with the nuances of tobaccos, which I've found is what I seem to prefer in a tobacco. I still like to play detective with my pipe tobaccos sometimes, but mostly I just enjoy the act of puffing away absent mindedly or while doing yard work.

If you like Burleys, this is an excellent tobacco to give a shot. If you're on the fence, the Virginias give it enough sweetness to keep you interested. If you're not one of the former two, why aren't you? :-)

Pipe Used: Custom-Bilts, mainly

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Cappadoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cappadoc (9)

A tour de force of burleys! A fairly sour taste- in a pleasant way- that I crave almost daily. Medium in strength, strong in flavor. A consistent easy burning blend with sourness increasing throughout the bowl. Nutty and sweet as well. Can get ashy at the bottom of a large bowl if ash is not dumped. Perfect in a cob with coffee.

Pipe Used: Cobs mostly, but also shines in medium briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 year

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought a small 2 ounce sample as I work my way through Runowski C&D blends and I also wished to explore something non-flavored that was not a VaPer or Latakia based. If C&D did not already have a former blend named "Americana" that would have been an appropriate name for Pegasus. For those times when I want something mellow (i.e.; not wishing to wrestle with Old Joe K.) I load a cob of this up. It is pleasantly full flavored - a flavor of TOBACCO. A perfect light and forget smoke. The burleys are well behaved, the Virginias noticeable without being too sweet, and the black cavendish supports both by filling the smoke and keeping the rest in line. I have not even jarred up this small amount but keep it in a rollup pouch with a humi-coin for those times when I am smoking away from home among non-smoking company. My wife says it smells good. She rarely complains but then she rarely comments either way. With Pegasus the response was unsolicited. I just might re-purchase and thereby (by my rating system) kick this to a 4 star blend.

Pipe Used: Corncobs

Age When Smoked: new production

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)

A remarkable tobacco. I cannot say enough good things about this blend; however if you pick it up and expect to have a reveletory experience you are likely to be disappointed. My love of this blend grew slowly into the steadfast one i now feel. I like the genre of american style burley. I more often than not like the blending of C&D. So i expected to like this blend. However, i didn't so much, initially.

I mostly smoke burleys from smallish cobs. At the match there is an astringency that i didn't expect. To borrow a phrase from another reviewer, i tasted the hull of walnuts. Tannin heavy and a bit rough. This never entirely disappears, but it does soften and weave in and out of the smoke. And the flavor deepens, always with the rough edge present, to include very slight wisps of sweetness from both va and the cavendish. It is a deep, rough, barely sweet flavor that is remarkably walnut-ey. And that's it. Unpleasant as it initially was to me, i began to desire it throughout the day. I am a smoker who indulges his desires. More and more often i desired the experience and flavor. It does have depth and nuance too, it is just all crammed into a bassy spectrum. When at a smolder in a larger than average bowl, it satisfies something for me that few other blends do. I truly find it exceptional, roughness and all. Has a decent (medium) amount of nicotine. Excellent stuff. Don't be put off by the inclusion of cavendish or the name Pegasus. This is a burly burley for a burly pipe urge itchin.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars

Age When Smoked: New to 6 months

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)

I generally do not smoke burley blends. They are generally too bland for my taste. I purchased a bag of this from Smoking pipe. The bag indicated that it had been blended at least a year ago.

The Virginias played very well together, adding delicious and delightfully delicate flavor I found uniquely distinct . I cannot remember a Burley blend I ever enjoyed as much as this one in my 35 plus years of pipe smoking.

My only regret with this blend is I only bought one pound.

Pipe Used: Savenelli Champagne

Age When Smoked: 1year

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Age really made a difference here. When I opened a tin that was 18 months old, I ended up enjoying a very robust, smooth, and nutty mix of tobaccos. It wasn't spectacular, but it was very nice and I'm looking forward to finishing up the other tins I've got buried in my cellar. One caveat: I don't know why, but this time around Pegasus struck me as being almost a mild aromatic. There was a lot of sweetness and the roomnote reminded me a little bit of vanilla. Even more surprising, it left a pronounced "ghost" in the briar I smoked it in. This was easily eliminated with a few bowls of Prince Albert and Morley's Best, but it was nonetheless a surprise. I wonder if this batch didn't end up with a little more Black Cavendish than the first one had.

Original review (09/15/2007): I was looking forward to this for two reasons. First, I'm a big fan of C&D burley blends. Second, based on the reviews on this site, I figured it would be something I'd really enjoy. But I found this just didn't have enough flavor for me -- it struck me as utterly nondescript and dull, and it also bit me. The quality of the tobaccos seems to be excellent, however, and obviously a lot of people like it, so I might just be the odd man out on this one. I would highly recommend this blend if you like Haunted Bookshop (another blend I find to be too bland), as this strikes me as a sweetened version of it.

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

Cornell & Diehl - Pegasus

Admittedly I don't do a lot of burley blends but this one is my favorite.

After it's been in the jar for a couple months and I crack that jar open and take a deep whiff, it smells like homemade chicken noodle soup with carrots and celery.

This blend contains no added sweetness or flavors that I can find. The burleys are earth and nuts, slightly more earth I'd say. Also a bit of wood, birch is where I'd put that one.  The virginia adds it's sweetness but little to no twang.  The black cav is slight in amount, I'm not sure I taste it but I imagine it smooths the edge out some.  There is still a little bit of edge to this blend.  To me it seems like the burley dominates for the first half of the bowl while the virginia becomes more assertive in the second half.  From time to time I taste what I'd liken to corn flakes and rarely a slight taste of dill weed.  I have a pretty high tolerance for vitamin n but the first time I smoked a bowl of Pegasus it almost pushed me down much to my surprise.

This is a fabulous example of what quality burleys, devoid of toppings chemical or otherwise, can do. Highly recommended.

BryGuySC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BryGuySC (26)

I smoked this one blind, having no foreknowledge of what to expect. From the onset, this one struck me as spicy and a little bit brash. It didn’t exactly bite, but it was hot and “rough” in my mouth. I figured there was burley in it. I picked up some nuttiness and spice. I was certain this was a burley/virginia blend with a good dose of perique. I was surprised to find there was no perique, as the spiciness did not go away at all. There were a few hints of sweetness (from the black cav) and a woody note that I picked up occasionally.

Not a bad smoke at all. It may not react well with me particularly, as it is a little rough in the back of my throat, even after I am done with it. If you are a burley fan, especially C&D burleys, give this one a shot.

North by North Best Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
North by North Best (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought this tobacco in bulk two years ago expecting a sweet, nutty burley blend that would be an all day smoke. What I got was an acrid, cigaretty tasting smoke that I immediately consigned to the back of my cellar, thinking that I would never return. Two years went by and I eventually tried it again... Lo and behold, I found a sweet nutty burley blend, an all day smoke. Lesson learned. If you buy this blend in bulk, jar and age. You will be rewarded with a smooth, semi-sweet nutty blend, with a nice N punch.

Similar Blends: Peterson 3P.

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Pegasus presents as a light brown chunky ribbon, with a few black flecks mixed in. Relatively dry, easy to work with, easy to smoke.

The predominant flavor here is clean dry burley. I do occasionally pick up a hint of the sweetness of the black cavendish, but it's faint and not always there. The Virginias don't speak to me at all. In fact, if not for the description, I'd swear there was no Virginia at all.

On paper, it looks like it would be right up my ally. But it just doesn't ring bells for me. Straight nutty burley, a bit too heavy in flavor, virtually no sweetness, dry and astringent. I don't find it offensive, and I keep trying out small samples in hopes that it will grow on me, but it just doesn't rock my world.

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (37)

Nutty, toasty Burleys take center stage, supported by a bit of earthiness and hay from the Virginias. I don't pick up much sweetness at all from this blend, the Cavendish mostly serving to smooth out this tasty blend. There's a bit of pepper past mid bowl. A tad dry, packs well, and the Nic hit is a good notch or two above medium. Again, very tasty, pure tobacco taste. A great Burley blend. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars and Cobs

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I've been a big fan of C&D's Old Joe Krantz. Its the perfect driving on a long trip tobacco. Pease's Cumberland is good too. This is just personal. Dan Tobacco's Mellow Mallard (straight virginia) is another easy to smoke blend but with enough nic hit ( in mallard its barely enough, but its there). C&D's Crooner is fine if you like deer tongue. But Pegasus might be my new favorite. Ive been partial to un cased black cavendish in other blends but its very pronounced here. The virginia's are in the background and taste like the sort C&D use a lot. Its got a medium nic nit. Not nearly what OJK is, but this is a very very very easy to smoke and fine tasting blend. Its one of those tobacco blends you simply do not get tired of. I like Pease's Montgomery for example. But you just cant smoke it all the time. Im not sure how that works, the psychology of taste, but some blends one can love.....just not all the time. This is an all time tobacco but not bland. Macbaren's My Mixture is a good all the time blend...but its bland. And there is little nic hit. Its delicious, and i keep a tin around but i dont smoke it as often as i might think. The burley here is nutty...like OJK...and the cavendish is mildly earthy, nut like, but more walnut than cashew as it were. The whole thing is just wonderful. A great everyday blend of great quality and it also holds its taste start to finish. In fact thats one of the best qualities of Pegasus. It is totally consistent.

Purchased From: 4noggins

bent_bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent_bulldog (4)

I was curious of mostly-burley blends and ordered a sample of Pegasus with an order.

1st bowl: Hmm, that was very satisfying. 2nd bowl: Man, this is a good blend! 3rd bowl: I love this blend!

Like others have said, it grows on you. I highly recommend it if you like burley, the tin(bag) note is very enticing, it's very easy to pack and light. It produces nice chunky smoke and has some strength, although I find it less strong than other C&D burleys.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Savinelli 311KS

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Pegasus is a very popular blend in the same "family" as Haunted Bookshop and OJK, but much less nicotine than either. It's a nice burley blend with a little virginia and unsweetened cavendish thrown in. IMO those two tobaccos don't take the edge off the burley enough. You are left left with a slightly harsh tasting smoke. Good for mixing with aromatics.

Pipe Used: Briars

Similar Blends: SWR but without the sweetness.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco based on a review by Bob Runowski and I must say his review is right on. This is a good choice for the smoker that likes a natural "English" without the latakia. It starts off a bit harsh but smooths out a little farther down the bowl. I found it necessary to hydrate this one to take out some of the bite. The cut is good and it burns easily. Definitely one to try for those looking for no-nonsense tobacco.

WolfmanSam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WolfmanSam (5)

This burley forward blend consists mainly of light to dark brown ribbons, with a small amount of unflavored black cavendish. I taste, oats, nuts, hay, and has a mild sweetness to it. I do not detect any topping. It’s cool, dry and never harsh. I’ve smoked it in various briars and cobs. It’s plain, mild, natural, and works well as an all day smoke. I recommend it to any newbies or burley lovers.

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 4 years

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is an excellent burley and black cavendish blend. It's a very clean and straightforward Burley ribbon. Good but not fantastic. Not Uhle Blend 00 good anyway. The addition of the unsweetened black cavendish raises the bar on this blend. It gives the Burley a sweetness that it is lacking, and overall rounds out the blend into a more compelling smoke. Smells like marshmallows to me when I open a jar sometimes. I think if there are two C&D tobaccos that everyone should try, it's this and OJK. Both stellar burley blends. I wish I would have found this earlier in my cellaring. I keep feeling like I need more of it, so I must.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

MY sample came with some larger fragments of tobacco, looked sort of like a tobacco salad, not very attractive and makes one wonder of quality control. Well, Well, what have we here? This is a nicely medium strength, medium bodied blend. I taste good tobacco flavor here, a little harsh at times and a little green (I detected some ammonia) This is not all bad though, just like some fine Brie has an ammonia component...I was not turned off by this. I like this, I don't love it, but I like it. It had enough smoke volume and tingled nicely when exhaled through the nostrils. Good blend.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)

This one really didn't do it for me. I didn't get much flavor out of it unless I dgt'd it and despite 9 months of age, it had a bite to it. Likely the reason I don't like it is that it is mainly red VA and I like a more full burley taste. If you are a VA smoker who wants to try a VA/Burley blend, you might like this. In fact, I've got a tin for you, send me an email!