Notes: Reminiscent of old original Bond Street blend.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Blend TypeBurley Based
Strength
Taste

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

OK, I understand that Pegasus is one of my own offspring, but I am partial to it. In the blending, I sought to find a mixture that really reflected rather common American tobaccos which could be enjoyed as a smoke through the day. Years ago, I enjoyed smoking Bond Street, and my hope was to approach the flavor of Bond Street with its pleasant room aroma.

The base of the blend are three burleys: cube cut, white and dark. They are the majority tobaccos. The two virginias and the unsweetened black cavendish provide the flavor. I have grown very fond of ribbon cut virginia with its matured sweetness and clean burn. Black cavendish has drawn criticism because of the travesty which some blenders have inflected upon it with the "bag o' smokes" available in some venues. But, C&D black cavendish is uncased and very smooth, w/o excess sugars.

Smoking Pegasus is best in a larger bowled pipe, to allow the tobaccos to meld. I chose a Ben Wade large Dublin which I got from Bill Unger of NASPC. In the first lightings, the initial bitterness of burleys are expressed, but then their fullness is tasted followed fairly quickly by tasting both virginias and the BC. The smoke never seems to fall into any harshness and levels out into clean and pleasant experience. I believe that both the new and more experienced smoker will find Pegasus acceptable.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

This is one of my favorite tobaccos. As a rule I love burley and more specifically I love burley from C&D. It's of very high quality and always brings me enjoyment. Contentment in a tin.

I think of this tobacco as a comfortable pair of slippers, your favorite robe or a well worn pair of jeans. It's certainly not fancy or "complex" but it is satisfying and relaxing.

In the tin I see cubed, dark and white burley with what must be a little darker unflavored cavendish and a small amount of Virginia that must provide the gentle sweetness. This blend has a nice gentle sweetness that perfectly matches the nutty burley and has the very slightest hint of cigar notes from the dark burley. It has a nice full oat like flavor at times that almost reminds me of cereal grains. The nicotine is squarely in the medium range and I would rate it slightly above Prince Albert (another favorite if that helps you with my take on the review).

The blend burns well and I would recommend a light gravity type load with a light tamp at the beginning. I also like to load up my pipe and leave it overnight. Although the blend already seems dry the cubed burley seems a bit moist and burns a lot better after drying out a bit. Tongue bite is pretty much non-existent although I would recommend a slow smoking pace since I seem to get the most out of this blend by going slow. No need to hurry!

Overall this is a wonderful that I will most certainly be stocking up on and dedicating a pipe or two to it. Pegasus satisfies, relaxes and is another winner from C&D.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent choice for folks who want a burley blend thats a bit sweet with no Perique. Excellent quality 100% good smokable tobacco without nasty bits to pick out. Very easy to light and smoke hard without any bite. Initial flavor of beer and honey drifts toward popcorn as the bowl is finished. This is an honest medium strength blend, suitable for a medium to large pipe. Very nice with pale beer on a warm day. Excellent aftertaste with a very faint smoky beard note, as if you'd just had a very mild Balkan mix. I could sit on the porch and smoke this wonderful stuff all day!

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Spool COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Pegasus is among the world's most perfect tobaccos. It is positively transcendent in a way that I would never encounter through tobacco. Cornell & Diehl employ some of the finest burleys to be found on the market today, and it appears that nearly all types of this leaf that they had to offer went into this blend in perfect proportion. For those sad folk for whom perfect burleys are not enough, two Virginias were added, and this only seemed to deepen the flavor without making it over-sweet, over sweet in the Virginia sense, mind ye.

For a perfect hint of sweetness, so slight but so skillfully executed, we have the black Cavendish. Easily the finest example of black Cavendish that can be found, almost what I imagine the old Rattray's Virginia based black Cavendish to have been like, not that I am old enough to have tasted that particular leaf. Is this all that is required to achieve true tobacco perfection? So it would seem.

This is the blend, along with Prince Albert, of course, that turned me into a devoted smoker of classic American-style mixtures. I have gone through more than five pounds of the stuff so far and the gods only know when I will let up. Be warned, once Pegasus casts her spell, it is not easily broken.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an excellent burley blend. I can see some black cavendish in the loose tobacco, but it is not flavored. There is not much Virginia here, but it contributes to a slightly sweet note from time to time. This is mostly burley goodness. The taste profile has some oats and is slightly bitter from time to time.

Think of a slightly stronger Carter Hall with no topping. If you like burley, this is a great smoke. There is a certain satisfying quality to this blend.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

Very relaxing, old fashioned blend. Typical C&D Burley goodness. Sweet, Nutty, Smooth and Strong. The Virginias add a bit of sweet and spicy to the mix while the cavendish smooths it all out making for a relaxing, tasty all day smoke.

Being a burley lover I decided to go through C&D's bulk burley blends and ordered an ounce of this, Big n' Burley and Morley's best. All three are great blends in their own right but as an all day blend Pegasus takes the cake. Very soon after receiving my sample of Pegasus I went online and ordered 4 more ounces. Its that good! Everyday I have at least one bowl of this fantastic burley blend.

Also, the room note is fantastic. The roommates tell me its nutty, smokey and sweet. Like homemade cookies with a pipe smoke smell (obviously).

This blend has also been a huge help for me trying to cut back and eventually quite the cigarette smoking. Smoking a bowl of this on my way to work instead of two or three cigarettes has really made the cab of my truck smell amazing! but for those trying the pipe to quite cigarettes I'd advise you NOT to inhale your pipe. 1 that defeats the purpose of losing the nicotine dependency and 2, blends like this one will destroy your throat if your brave enough to inhale! Pipe smoking is about sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the flavors of your tobacco. and for that Pegasus is, in my opinion among the best of the best.

PoppaPig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PoppaPig (2)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

C&D's Description: "Three Burley tobaccos, two Virginias and a touch of unsweetened Black Cavendish make this a classic American blend."

Sentiment: Every time I pack and roast a bowl of Pegasus I experience a moment of prideful sentiment of what it means to be a tobacco user and American. Although Washington has been a part of the union for quite some time now I feel rather misplaced; especially in the winter months when I smoke Pegasus. I believe this blend calls the front porches of the south home, but I am grateful it makes allowances for my personal geographical displacement. The warm summer day(s) in the Pac NW on the deck are the closest I come to achieving the ideal setting for Pegasus.

Dry Characteristics: Described as a ready rubbed, the leaves are unique among the thirty or so blends I have tried over the years. If one were to make a miniature model of a PA neighborhood in the fall, Pegasus would make the perfect raked pile of dried leaves. They are not flecks nor shreds, but small leaves of brown tones.

Packing: Pegasus is ready to go directly out of the tin. The tin-note is one of subtlety with a detection of dried fruit. Their is no need for moisture adjustments of any form and its burn qualities are very good. I prefer a larger bowl for this blend as the leaves cited earlier are too large to pack an ample portion without applying too much pressure in small or mid sized chambers.

Light: Lighting is an easy venture. One match to char and a second to get the light and you may not need another one until it is finished.

Smoking Experience: The flavors upon lighting represent the sweeter spectrum of this blend. you will be revisited by this sweetness on occasion as the bowl progresses but the overwhelming majority of the experience will be spent tasting quality burley. There are a few layers of flavor within pegasus but by and large my palate is stricken with that of a bag of walnuts. Within a bag of walnuts there are many flavors depending on the nut. Some nuts are sweet, some meaty, and some carry the sharp flavor of the shell. Every now and then the VA and Cavendish blend to convey almost a cornmeal or sweet bran like flavor but is not a theme.

Don't let the description of VA and Cavendish fool you. This is a Burley. Unadulterated glorious burley. If you don't like burley, leave pegasus alone. It does not deserve to be slandered by VA addicts looking for robust levels of sweet (I love me some VA too). This blend is nutty, woody, bran-meal goodness and I want more.

fogpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fogpipe (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was prompted to register by seeing this tobacco had only 3.3 stars. Pegasus is my everday go to tobacco. Great burley with just the right amount of sweetness added by the va and cavendish. Its an exceptional smoke new but with a few months of age gets even better. "Hits the spot" for me almost everytime.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)

This blend from start to finish was a great smoke. It was medium bodied, and I would be very hesitant to call it an aromatic. Don't get me wrong, this blend does smell amazing.

The taste throughout was just a great Burley blend. There was a few hints of Virginia, but not much. The cavendish was unnoticeable, but made it a great full smoke that burned evenly.

Not much else to say, a great blend.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)

I did not mean to age this blend intentionally. It didn't get on base with the first few pipefuls nor did it strike out. It got 'archived'/bottom of the piled. Every now and then I'll sit on my deck with a handful of pipes and a pile of tobaccos and conduct a tongue-fry festival with a review of blends. This time the Peg pegged it. I like a bit of sweetness, I do not appreciate most true (black cav based) aro's, many straight Va's with high sugar bbq my taste buds. I like burley blends. If this sounds like your profile, you like burley's plus 'something', this will make you a happy camper. I wouldn't recommend puffing on it like a Wagnerian tuba player but shy of that you'll still be able to enunciate clearly with no problem. Highly recommended.

Based on my hazy memory of Bond Street, I think Bob Runowski did very well. This is a burley/VA/cavendish blend with a predominantly burley taste and a nice room note. I liken this one to Hearth & Home's LJ Heart Burley. This one burns more cleanly than LJ Heart but doesn't have quite the flavor explosion. It reminds me of a cereal I use to love as a young man - Fortified Oat Flakes. A nice, oaty, slightly sweet flavor.

As with a lot of C&D blends, the cut of this one is all over the map. As always, I'm amazed that it burns evenly but I blend on occasion for myself and I leave the blending for others to the professionals. If you enjoy a nice, lightly sweet, meaty blend that can be smoked all day and you've eschewed burleys in the past, this is one good place to start with burley blends. I doubt I'll return to this one very often but it was a nice experience.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've recently been in a "hold the latakia" phase. Maybe it's the Summer weather that drives me to Burley blends, maybe it's just that I like 'em. I believe it's a given that C&D are one of the premier blenders of Burleys and I tried this one out after pouring through reviews, looking at component tobaccos, etc. hunting for blends that featured Burley along with VA. Perique, and perhaps other condimentals...but NO LATAKIA. An innocent little tin of 'Exhausted Rooster' kicked me into gear. If you haven't tried it and you have any affection for Perique, then you need to get some ASAP. THIS one (Pegasus) was purchased via an online sale in an 8 oz. tin on the basis of reviews here. To my delight, the tin I got was put up in September of '07. Nice! (I got another tin, of VA Gentleman in the same order that was put together in March of '06!) You can read other reviews here for the nitty gritty of this or that nuance...it's all pretty personal or often depends on the pipe in which it's smoked. But this is certainly a high quality, well flavored blend that should suit the likes of Burley smokers. Of special note to me is that in some ways it mirrors the flavors found in Edegworth Ready Rubbed, but smokes cleaner in my experience. Some have commented on what might be a flavoring added...it's slight, and if anything it reminds me of dark molassas...adding to the deep Burley flavor in a very positive way. Call it a semi-aromatic if you will. To me, there are a number of Semi's out there in which the added flavoring enhances the tobacco blend in question - a whisper as opposed to a shout - this is one of those cases. Burley usually needs SOMETHING added to get it off the ground a bit, asside from the high quality tobaccos used this one was designed with a deft hand.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought a small 2 ounce sample as I work my way through Runowski C&D blends and I also wished to explore something non-flavored that was not a VaPer or Latakia based. If C&D did not already have a former blend named "Americana" that would have been an appropriate name for Pegasus. For those times when I want something mellow (i.e.; not wishing to wrestle with Old Joe K.) I load a cob of this up. It is pleasantly full flavored - a flavor of TOBACCO. A perfect light and forget smoke. The burleys are well behaved, the Virginias noticeable without being too sweet, and the black cavendish supports both by filling the smoke and keeping the rest in line. I have not even jarred up this small amount but keep it in a rollup pouch with a humi-coin for those times when I am smoking away from home among non-smoking company. My wife says it smells good. She rarely complains but then she rarely comments either way. With Pegasus the response was unsolicited. I just might re-purchase and thereby (by my rating system) kick this to a 4 star blend.

Pipe Used: Corncobs

Age When Smoked: new production

This blend is nicely balanced between the Burleys and the Virginias. Can't say that I noticed the Black Cavendish. Nice body, nice flavor, and satisfying. I like it for an occasional treat.

dano58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dano58 (5)

This goes quite pleasantly with a cup of hot tea and a good read in the morning or later in the day.. Right down the middle-medium strength, the way I like it and so Pegasus has become my go-to tobacco. Great straight ahead smoke with that excellent burley blending Cornell and Diehl are so good at. Also, the price is right when purchased in bulk.. I give Pegasus a solid four stars. Recommended for burley fans.

I like this blend. This is a nice chewy tobacco...by this I mean it had great mouth feel, it wasn't flat at all, I knew I was smoking something and felt the substantial quality of the smoke. C&D only uses distilled water to hydrate their tobacco so this was not flavored by any humectant and it arrived more on the dry side. It had a nice mildly sweet aroma that mixed well with some nuttiness and slight haylike character. The Burlies and Virginias are quite well balanced and the Black Cav. lends something, but not much since there just isn't much in the tin. Nicotine content is moderate and when I puffed on some of the Pegasus in the early morning it was definitely an eye opener and helped me get moving, in many respects (grin). Moderate volume of smoke, burns pretty well. This is a broad ribbon-like cut so it tends to burn quickly but if you are partial to a burely blend with a moderate kick and some sweetness that is not overdone at all...give this a try. Hell you'll probably give it a try anyway if you are obsessed with trying new blends and on the persistent hunt for your tobacco "Holy Grail".

Thedarklord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thedarklord (9)
Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Absolutely delicious. I am not a burley fan, but this blend is terrific. Upon opening the tin, I am greeted by a delightful mix of burleys and Virginias with a little black Cavendish peppered in for good measure. The smell is of brown sugar and bread.

I must say that age has not made a great difference here. I have not noticed a change over the year that this tin has been opened. It has always packed well and lit easily. The taste has been consistent as well.

After a charring light, I am greeted by a stiff kick in the chops. Wow. You?d better be seated for this one.

Pencil lead dominates the taste, but the burley adds an almost perfect touch of sweetness. The Cavendish adds to the sweetness and the body. That being said, the finish is a little flat and bitter. How disappointing. Smooth out the finish and this would easily be a 4 star blend. Too bad.

UPDATE========

Age makes all the difference. It's like aging fine wine. Here she is. 1 year old and 4 of 4 stars.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

Wow! This surprised me. I bought an 8oz tin on description alone and really like it as a go to blend at any time of the day. Great aroma, perfect burn, flavor that is nutty with a faint background sweetness. I will be devouring this over the summer and will definately be stocking some for the future. Great price too for the half pound tin.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

Be aware up front in this review that I am an unabashed fan of Bob Runowski blends. Morley's Best was the tobacco that really converted me over to burleys and the following blends (Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz) only made the bond stronger. Craig Tarler also deserves some credit for this by faithfully reproducing the blends Bob designs.

Now I have a pound of Pegasus, his rendition of the old Bond St. tobacco, of which I never partook. The thing that sets this one apart from its' siblings is the sweetness, which I believe comes from the VAs (although the Cavendish undoubtably has a small part in this, too). It's a delightful contrast to the bitterness of some burley blends. Behind that, though, it's still the toasted nuttiness of burley that runs the show.

Pegasus seems not to be picky about pipe size and lights and burns exceptionally well. For me this is an especially good early morning smoke, when I may not be ready to deal with the heavier notes of something like Morley's.

After significant increases in the price of tobacco, C&D have finally broken the $30/lb. mark on their bulk blends. This was probably inevitable and is not nearly as bad as the rise in (for example) gasoline prices over the last six years.

Scores on Pegasus; flavor- 17 of 20; lighting and burn- 9 of 10; value- 8 of 10. a 34 overall earns Pegasus a ** rating.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

This is one of C&D's "American Classics", so called to honor the great blends in the American tradition. Well done! The rough cut burns cool and even, and the flavor a wonderful balance of nutty burley harmonized with tangy virginia. The cavendish provides some extra depth, doing for Pegasus what triple ligero leaf does for a cigar, that is providing the bass note. The quality of the tobaccos, the proportions used, the burn, and the overall satisfaction IMO earn this blend four stars. This is a world class blend.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have tried most of the C&D burley blends, but I left this one out until now because I usually do not care for cavendish. This blend, though, is really very nice. It's predominantly a burley taste, but the Virginias are definitely there. The cavendish does just what it is supposed to do and smooths the whole blend together beautifully. There are no rough edges on this one. It's a pleasant smoke from top to bottom, and leaves only a little white ash when it's gone. Highly recommended.

Edited 11 Feb 2010:

Four years later and this blend has only improved in my estimation. The thick, silky mouth feel that the cavendish provides is what sets this blend apart from other C&D burley blends. And, at the same time, it maintains the nutty burley taste that I love and never seem to tire of. This one stays at four stars for me.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Pegasus is the epitome of the "all-day smoke," whatever that might be. Made of three burleys, two Virginias, and a pinch of unsweetened black cavendish, it tastes of natural tobacco, with a blend of burley strength and natural Virginia sweetness. It is piquant and mild, burns better than any tobacco I've ever put in my pipe (I don't say this lightly), and doesn't bite a bit.

I don't know how similar it is to the original Bond Street, but on its own terms, this is great stuff. It will make you happy as you create those delicious clouds of smoke, smolder without needing many relights, and please those around you. And it's mild enough to smoke bowl after bowl. What's not to like?

DownSouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DownSouth (8)

Pegasus is a wonderfully full blend, with a good, stout, nutty body from the three burleys. Plenty of nicotine, plenty of great taste. The Virginias and black cav provide just the right amount of sweetness to make it a nice sweet change from the "straight" burley taste (which I also love). It is definitely NOT an aromatic, at least not in the sense of having any topping that I can detect. A good, straight forward, all-tobacco taste and smell. Simply delightful in my book, I definitely give this one 4 out of 4 stars.

This blend definitely gets better with age, the jar I just finished was 16 months old, and was significantly better than the "fresh" sample I tried, though it was still good... this one truly becomes GREAT with age!!

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

After aging my tin for 3 years my first couple of bowls were surprising in the sense that I felt confident that this would be a favorite. Right off the bat I found Pegasus to be more of an aromatic than a Runowski burley blend. Despite our political differences [I'm a progressive that's left of FDR, more like Elenore ;-)], I love just about everything Morleysson ever blended; don't tell anyone, but through emails and postings on various chat groups I even like Bob personally. :-) For reference, Haunted Bookshop is in my top 5 blends; and I consider myself a burleyphile, favoring Solani ABF and Edgworth Sliced over Edgeworth RR and Prince Albert. Bob's blending has turned me on to an era of pipe smoking that I missed.

First of all, Pegasus bit my tongue, something only cheap aromatics do to me. I can smoke McClelland Virginias all day without tongue bite; I'm a pretty slow smoker. While coming in perfect humidification right out of the tin, I let it breathe for 3 months with the plastic lid on. Finally I've transferred it to a Mason jar. Last night I finished the evening with a couple of bowls and this morning I've started my day with a few more bowls of Pegasus. In two of my coolest smoking pipes the bowls got very hot. While not terribly uncomfortable, this third bowl is causing my tongue some sensitivity that could get worse if I'm not careful. The burn is fair. If I pack it with care I can smoke through without a relight, but my pipe's bowl gets hotter than I prefer. Could that be caused by the wide cut of Pegasus? The taste is pretty good, perhaps a little sweeter than I prefer. My beef here is that I think the Cavandish is overpowering the burley's nutty flavor that I love so much. As one of the previous reviewers said Pegasus has a "chewy mouth feel" that I do like and a lovely room-note. Moreover, it's made of terrific leaf.

I will finish this tin and see if Pegasus grows on me. Perhaps I'll even get another tin. I would hate to miss out on the experiences my fellow reviewers have so adoringly described. I really am surprised this isn't more to my liking.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Pegasus will definetly give you the jolt of burley and enough sweetness to satisfy anyone. If you like Old Joe Krantz or Riverboat Gambler, this is a must try blend. Another perfect recipe!

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)

UPDATE: In an effort to even out my reviews providing more useful and honest information, I'm updating my review of Pegasus. Like Crooner, this blend is in a very difficult category, the semi-aromatic burley. While this is probably the best of the breed that I have sampled, it still is what it is. It smokes quite a bit smoother than some of the genre (which typically turn into horribly bitey, diluted burlies and/or horrible aromatics). Pegasus is guilty of none of the aforementioned charges it just seems a bit timid for my tastes. When stacked up against Old Joe Krantz, my current front runner, it just can't compete. It's quite like comparing apples and oranges I know but to my tastes, Pegasus will only occassionally have guest appearances in my rotation.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Every once in a while, you encounter a blend like Pegasus and why you smoke a pipe becomes very clear. I have to be honest right up front and say that initially, Pegasus was one of those blends that just didn't grab me. I couldn't point to anything wrong with it but it just didn't grab me right up front. But anyone that has smoked a pipe for any length of time knows that there are three kinds of pipe tobacco: Blends that are instant hits and you know from the first puff that you love (i.e. OJK and Prince Albert in my case), blends that you despise from the first puff and vow to never attempt to smoke again (mixture 79, Borkum Riff Cherry) and finally blends that you have no specific complaint against but they just don't grab you right off (i.e. Pegasus and Edgeworth RR). The first two categories are fairly straight forward, I love it and plan to smoke a lot of it or This sucks I'll never smoke this crap ever again. The final category is a bit more complex. These are the creeper blends that you don't get at first but suddenly begin to reach for more and more until all the sudden you discover a certain taste that is fantastic that it just took you a while to warm up to. This is where Pegasus sits with me. This process of exploration is one thing that makes pipe smoking as enjoyable as it is. A cigar tastes like a cigar, a cigarette tastes like a cigarette, but a pipe can taste like a million things and half the fun is figuring out what is good to you personally. Initially, I found nothing wrong with this blend but likewise found nothing very exciting either. But the more I smoked it the more I began to appreciate the interplay of the various component tobaccos and what a unique and exceptional flavor it really is. Very mild, very tasty and very simple to smoke. At the end of a bowl you are left with a pipe full of grayish white ashes and an anxious anticipation of your next bowl full of Pegasus. The black cavendish is largely responsible for the fragrant sweetness but lest you be fooled this is a good, old school natural blend through and through. Burley runs the show here. The trace amounts of virginia merely enhance the subtle sweetness and provide a bit of body and complexity. The black cavendish is an amazing touch of subtle sweetness and aroma but does it very smoothly and quietly without the goopy, soapy taste normally associated with more heavily cased black cavendish. Once again, Bob Runowski, The Guru of All Things Burley has delivered in fine fashion. The desert island blend is a distinction I rarely find appropriate but if I were leaving to be stranded on a desert island today I think Pegasus, OJK and a few four-digit Kaywoodies would be essential gear. If you are a burleyphile, this one is a must try but the lesson learned (at least for me) was that sometimes even great blends take some time and patience to appreciate. Don't expect immediate fireworks with this one but give it time, once you get it, it's well worth the wait.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Age really made a difference here. When I opened a tin that was 18 months old, I ended up enjoying a very robust, smooth, and nutty mix of tobaccos. It wasn't spectacular, but it was very nice and I'm looking forward to finishing up the other tins I've got buried in my cellar. One caveat: I don't know why, but this time around Pegasus struck me as being almost a mild aromatic. There was a lot of sweetness and the roomnote reminded me a little bit of vanilla. Even more surprising, it left a pronounced "ghost" in the briar I smoked it in. This was easily eliminated with a few bowls of Prince Albert and Morley's Best, but it was nonetheless a surprise. I wonder if this batch didn't end up with a little more Black Cavendish than the first one had.

Original review (09/15/2007): I was looking forward to this for two reasons. First, I'm a big fan of C&D burley blends. Second, based on the reviews on this site, I figured it would be something I'd really enjoy. But I found this just didn't have enough flavor for me -- it struck me as utterly nondescript and dull, and it also bit me. The quality of the tobaccos seems to be excellent, however, and obviously a lot of people like it, so I might just be the odd man out on this one. I would highly recommend this blend if you like Haunted Bookshop (another blend I find to be too bland), as this strikes me as a sweetened version of it.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Pegasus smells like sweet toast. Rough cut, light to dark brown, with a mahogany hue, there is the occasional black fleck of roughly 10%. Albeit, having read the reviews, I would agree that it has a slightly sweet classic American signature, with no Latakia smoke or oriental incense. There is no medicinal smell from doctored up burleys as in some burley blends. Pegasus is on the dry side.

Taste and Aroma: I have heard Bond Street praised in reviews of other blends and it must have been a tad bland because Pegasus is no effusion of taste or aroma. The subtle sweetness of the black cavendish is contrasted with a typical stale burley taste and aroma. Again, to its credit, Pegasus is not a cloying, mediciny burley, but feels natural. Smoked outdoors, there is some goopy moisture which drains out of the stem.(An anamoly? This didn't happen indoors.)

Room Note: Decent, for a burley, but still the typical light stale burley aroma.

Nicotine: Medium to strong, closer to strong. It is no more heady than the last blend I tried, an oriental-based tobacco.

Overall: One of the few burley blends I can appreciate, it doesn't have an overly heavy burley smell. As burleys go, good, 3.2 stars. Compare Pegasus to two extremes of flavored burley blends, Half and Half, a drugstore aromatic completely flavored, and Prince Albert, not nearly as cased as H&H, but having decidedly less natural taste then Pegasus. To a degree, I recant what was said about burleys being bland, having sampled a VA afterwards. Perhaps burleys are sometimes described as bland because of the way they naturally taste, and that there is less sweetness.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is a blend for burley lovers. Similar to the old Bond Street, this does best in a large bowled pipe. Pack up the biggest bowled pipe you have and get ready for a real treat.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco based on a review by Bob Runowski and I must say his review is right on. This is a good choice for the smoker that likes a natural "English" without the latakia. It starts off a bit harsh but smooths out a little farther down the bowl. I found it necessary to hydrate this one to take out some of the bite. The cut is good and it burns easily. Definitely one to try for those looking for no-nonsense tobacco.

I was highly disappointed with the cut quality of this tobacco. There were distinct, large pieces of tobacco, oddly shaped...I actually found the lower part of a tobacco leaf with the stem attached. Poor quality control to be sure. Smoking this blend was pleasant, but not really remarkable in any way.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)

This one really didn't do it for me. I didn't get much flavor out of it unless I dgt'd it and despite 9 months of age, it had a bite to it. Likely the reason I don't like it is that it is mainly red VA and I like a more full burley taste. If you are a VA smoker who wants to try a VA/Burley blend, you might like this. In fact, I've got a tin for you, send me an email!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The combination here works. I especially enjoyed the cavendish "nut like" flavor that came on strong with the Burley, particularly over the last half of the bowl. The Virginia stayed in the backround from start to finish, but did lend to what I termed a solid "bottom" once I got there.

I've had better tobacco, but I've also had a lot worse. The 50g tin was worth the price. I was reminded of days gone by - good ones, I might add - while smoking this tobacco. I think Grandpa would have enjoyed it, too.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm afraid I have to agree with Grampa with this blend. For years, with rare exception, I've avoided blends with burley. Recently, I've come to enjoy a number of them including some by Cornell & Diehl. There's something about Pegaus that really turns me off. I suspect it has something to do with either they type, processing, or the amount of the burley. Whatever it is, I just don't enjoy the flavor.

Add a star or two if you're a big fan of burley, as notwithstanding what I have said, as this is surely a quality blend.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

It's a decent blend but nothing outstanding. C&D offers far better classic American blends such as Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop. This to me seemed a bit harsh and bitey. There just isn't anything special about this blend.