Different Virginias, USA, Zimbabwe, Zaire, India and Burley. The casing consists of several extracts like fig-tree-fruit, tamarind, nut, truffle, apple syrup finally rounded with Irish Top-flavor.

BrandFormer
FlavoringApple, Fruit / Citrus, Other / Misc, Irish Mist, Nuts / Beans
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full, Extra Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
1.9
Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Found this on sale and thought that someone who makes pipes that nice might know a thing or two about Va flakes. I was wrong, as other reviewers have said, this is a nice Va flake of medium strength, but the casing just ruins it for me. I agree that it tastes like mixture 79, and as I don't like that tobacco either due to the perfumey taste I cannot recommend Private Flake.

FunnyPipe727 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunnyPipe727 (20)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

A highly anticipated Christmas gift from my room mate, this tin of tobacco was a good gift for me. It came highly recommended by our local tobacconist; for smoker who wants a full flavor smoke, but also wants mild strength. I'm also not the best with flake tobacco, as I tend to prepare and pack them terribly. However, I did okay with this one. The tin note was very familiar, and much to my surprise, a friend of mine across the room got a whiff when I cracked the seal, and told me precisely what it smelled like before I could figure it out for myself: Fig Newton cookies (or biscuits for all of you British Blokes). Now, Fig Newtons are delicious on their own, but I've never smoked one, so at this point in the game I was a little worried. As I analyzed the scent a bit further, it was clear that Hans Nielson (Best pipe maker alive, produces pipes under the brand Former) likes his Virginia flakes. This blend certainly smells woodsy, nutty, fruity...so many things going on all at once. I lit it up and it tasted very good. It has a prominent nutty flavor and a slight fig-like taste as well. It's how I imagined Virginia flakes to taste when they're not loaded with ameliorates. I like it okay, but it takes some getting used to. The closest thing I can equate it to is Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. Mild, pleasant, cool smoking, but full enough to get a good taste. Perhaps I'll do to Former's Private Flake what I did with the Sherlock the next time I smoke it: Drink a good bourbon or dark rum with it. I've found that flavorful dark liquors such as whiskeys and rums bring out the full rich flavors in Virginia blends. All in all, I'd say it's a solid choice. It tastes pretty damn good. Oh, and for all you Aromatic puffers out there who are trying to like English blends but don't like the Latakia? Try this. I'ts a far cry away from the wet smoking, flavor-loaded Aromatic tobaccos that tend to smell better than they taste, and it certainly doesn't kick your tongue where it counts with overpowering Spice Tobaccos. Very good transition blend. Don't worry, it doesn't bite or pack the punch of Latakia, so if you want a gentle, natural, English blend, you will most certainly not be disappointed with Former's Private Flake. Sounds like Mr. Nielson knows what the hell he's doing when it comes to pipes.

orharris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orharris (2)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Has a very strong taste of the flavoring used. Tastes like some talcum powder smells. Not a favorite of mine at all. I have spent hours trying to remove this very taste from estate pipe that I have bought in the past. Although some may prefer this taste, I do not and will gift the rest of this newly opened tin to someone else who prefers to sample or try other flavors from time to time.

johnw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnw (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice.

A "plain" tobacco with a very pleasant taste.

One of my favourites.

Medium Extra Strong Extra Full Pleasant

I found the possibility of an aromatic flake interesting enough to give this one a try even though I normally smoke VA flakes. The blend consists on nicely formed flakes of golden to light brown tobaccos. All of the many positve smoking attributes are totally overshadowed by the soapy tin aroma, taste and aftertaste. The casing is so strong that I didn't sense much of a VA/Burley flavor at all. Perhaps this is a favored taste of the Danish pipe maker, Neilsen, but it's not for me.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tin Aroma: This is definately a flavoured blend, and the aroma tells the story. On top of the sweet, mellow Virginia scent, there lies, thick, like fog, a soapy, syrupy smell, one that reminds me of the sour mash used in making apple cider.

Physical Characteristics: A partially rubbed-out flake. Mostly light and bright, but with a darker vein here and there. I had a good bit of trouble keeping this lit, probably due to the topping and assorted humectants. Burns somewhat evenly to a dirty grey ash.

Notes: From the first light, I was hit by a blast of artificial flavor, definately not the thing I was looking for in a Virginia flake. Consequently, this blend was restricted, during further smoking, to clays and meerschaums, less likely to retain any residue of the unnatural aroma. Unfortunately, the casing used is pervasive, and stays with the smoke all the way through, turning the last few puffs into a bitter, stinking morass.

Verdict: I was pretty dissapointed in this blend. I would rank it above Erinmore, but just barely. I might recommend this to someone, if I didn't like them.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Strong Very Strong Extra Full Strong

I recently obtained a small sample of this blend straight from the tin. The tin aroma is intriguing with a strong Virginia aroma plus a casing that is not that noticeable. This is a light colored blend. There are light ribbons and flakes with a bit of a somewhat darker but still light ribbon components. This looks like a blend that is really going to bite. As soon as the flame hit, I immediately became aware of a strong aromatic that was not that noticeable in the pouch. The taste was familiar. I have to rely on a 30 year old memory for it has been that long since I smoked a blend with this flavor. The taste is somewhere between Erinmore Flake and Mixture 79, or even a combination of both. The description reads "The casing conists of several extracts like fig-tree-fruit,tamarind, nut, truffle, apple syrup finally rounded with Irish Top-flavour". Add to that description a hint of Irish Spring soap. Whereas Erinmore and #79 leave unpleasant memories, Private Label is a little more subdued. I don't mind this as much. And, there is bite, but a little less than I expected. It burns clean and dry to a darkish gray ash. I would not mind smoking this on rare occasion, but it would not be a regular for me. I would only smoke this in a Meerschaum. The aromatic will flavor a briar, and be very hard to remove. I can possible recommend this to those that do not find Erinmore overbearing. If the thought of Erinmore Flake heads you for the exits, pass on this.