Mac Baren Highland Mixture consists of ready rubbed, fully mature Virginia tobaccos and carefully selected, golden brown Burley. To round off the taste, we have added a touch of specially spiced Cavendish. As a finishing touch, the tobacco blender has added a generous measure of 30-year-old Glenfarclas - a pedigree single malt highland whisky.

BrandMac Baren

2.9
SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The flavor of this blend is great... without being goopy. Finally, a whisky blend that is made of high-quality leaf. I have been looking for some blends that are aromatic but not bulk-jar sticky stuff. I found it here.

Following the lead of previous reviewer Effluvinator, I smoked this in a Savinelli with a balsa filter. It really tamed the bite.

This one is a winner.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)

This bit me so strongly that I almost thought I didn't know how to smoke a pipe. I mean SERIOUS bite, worse than any OTC drug store tobacco, and a goopy mess.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is really a shame. It appears to have been blended with high quality leaf. Then, for reasons only known to the Dutch. The put napalm on the tobaco and toung bite is aweful. On the positive sid, it did come in a very attractive tin.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This was a big let-down after reading some good reviews. Too much of something overwhelms my tastebuds. After it airs out in the unsealed tin, it may rate an update. Time will tell...

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Now this blend is balanced and smooth with just enough flavor. The Spirits are applied in just the right amount and the taste and aroma are as pleasing as they are in the tin.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am a long-term user of MacBaren products, but had not tried this tobacco until just recently. Having nearly finished my first tin I feel that this will be a regular stock item for me. I appreciated a nice, scotch whiskey flavor with this tobacco, although the flavor seemed to be rather sensitive to which pipe was used. As it does smoke a bit wet I finally settled on a Savinelli Bing's with the balsa filter to control the moisture. It did not bite me, as do some of the other MacBaren offerings, which was a definite plus. Due to the expense it is more of a "special occasion" tobacco, but that only serves to make it more of treat when I do allow myself to have some of it. This is one of my favorite aromatics and I will definitely be keeping this on hand.

chperry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chperry (9)

I have a love/hate relationship with many of Mac Baren's blends. I like the flavor of many of them but they seem to have a grudge against my tongue! I was intrigued by the description of this blend and decided to spend the $18 for a tin to give it a try. I expected the worst and was surprised to find a tobacco that I really like. The flavor is a nice mixture of the natural sweetness of virginia and the nuttiness of burley. If overpuffed, it will bite, but even reasonable care prevents it. I ended up smoking the entire tin before moving on to any other tobacco. If it weren't for the cost, and sometimes limited availability, I would rate this higher. If you are an aromatic smoker looking to try a virginia blend, this is a good place to start.

Stormrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stormrider (14)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I agree totally with Bear and Cooksmoke. This stuff is heavenly! Smooth, balanced and soft but not too mild, with just enough backbone to avoid being a wimpy blend. The Scotch whiskey is indeed applied with perfect finesse and so is not overpowering, and the taste and room note are as pleasing as the tin aroma. The only reason why this will not be my everyday smoke is that I wouldn't want to become bored with it, so I will save it for special occasions. Definintely worth the extra cost.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Highland Mixture. April 2004. 'Heaven' Yes,I'm in heaven.This is absolutely delicious,full of flavour and I could happily puff on this all day without a sign,of a bite. Its very hard to believe this is an aromatic,as it is just so smooth,plus,extra good. Every other tobacco I have tried with whisky either bites the tongue or has a very bitter taste.'Highland Mixture'does not,have either. Easy to light and not at all gooey and leaves a nice clean white ash. Thankyou,Vic.For guiding me to this wonderful exquisite,superb blend. Highland Mixture,truly deserves the highest accolades possible.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

MacBaren's Highland Mixture is one of the most expensive 100g tins I have come across. Maybe that should be no surprise considering what a bottle of 30-year old Glenfarclas costs. Being a fan of the Farclas, I had high hopes for this blend. Maybe someone had finally figured out how to blend scotch into an aromatic tobacco.

Sorry to say, I am disappointed. HM has a great tin aroma, great room note, and tastes OK as well, but I cannot find the scotch note here at all. It has the taste of a slightly sweetened virginia and maybe a taste of the "specially spiced Cavendish". But where oh where is the single malt?

I had the pleasure of enjoying an old (maybe 25 year) Glenfarclas just a few weeks ago. It was outstanding, but seems to put to waste here, since it is MIA.

I will eventually finish my tin, and enjoy it as a rather light generic Danish aromatic, but will not replace it. The smoke is OK to pleasant. But, the product does not reflect the premimum price it extracts from my pocket. I'll invest the savings in single malts!

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Very pleasant smoke! As a single-malt loving pipe smoker, I had to give this a try. Very flavorful, colorful and wonderfully aromatic with no bite to speak of. The only thing that prevents me from keeping it on hand is its price and availablity. Its unexplained absence from the Mac Baren website is a bit odd as well. I certainly hope they do not drop this blend.

This blend is beautifully tinned and quite expensive for 100 grams...it is also, sadly, as miserable an excuse for pipe tobacco as there is on the market today. What on God's green earth was MacBaren's thinking? Only new smokers who have never developed an appreciation for fine leaf will like this stuff.

It packs easily and burns well. It also smells nice both in the tin and while burning. It does not bite either. It just tastes bad! If you enjoy MacBaren's tobaccos for the most part, this will not ring your chimes. Ugh!

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Here we come to what may be considered MacBaren's high end tobacco. At least that is what the price tells me.....and I got a deal.

The tin is a work of art....a rectangle box, bigger than a box of kitchen matches, it has a background picture of what appears to be Edinburgh Castle. The tobacco is in a sealed gold pouch, 100g of it.

The aroma upon opening the tin is just delicious. The Virginias are there, and what is called on the tin spiced Cavendish shows up. I could not detect the burleys. But in some ways overriding that is the sweet smokey Glenfarclas Single Malt Whisky. Now for those of you who don't know alot about Single Malts, that one is a winner.

The packing is easy, though I like to rub it out just a bit. The light is equally easy as this tobacco does not seem as moist as some MacBarens.

The inital taste is sweet and warm. This gives way to sweet and cool and stays that way all the way down to the bottom. The wift of whisky shows up from time to time. It in no way overpowers the tobacco. The measure is just right.

The ash was clean and white. I did have to use a cleaner or two, but this may have more to do with the smoker than the smoke.

I highly recommend this mixture, just try not to eat it out of the bag because that aroma will tempt you.

Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bear (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco has everything going against it, before it's lit. It's MacBaren, which I seem to get tongue bite from, throughout the range. It retails for $18.50 US for 100 grams, it contains flavored Cavandish, from it's description, and it's cased. This tobacco describes itself as follows:

Mac Baren Highland Mixture consists of ready rubbed, fully mature Virginia tobaccos and carefully selected, golden brown Burley. To round off the taste, we have added a touch of specially spiced Cavandish. As a finishing touch, the tobacco blender has added a generous measure of 30-year-old Glenfarclas whisky - a pedigree single malt highland whisky. In 1996, this particular whisky won the International Spirits Challenge, topping the list ahead of more than 110 other types of single malt.

(Yeah, for $18.50 it better make me breakfast afterwards )

Appearance: Beautiful gold presentation tin, gold foil pouch on inside with Mac Baren seal. Admittedly gorgeous gold, black and tan leaf, more a well broken flake than what I'd call fully rubbed. Ok, Ok! Very intriguing bouquet of single malt scotch tops a very nice Va/ Burley fragrance. Packs well, let's take it for a test drive. Fire hits weed releasing.......... Oh, No! Please dear Buddha, not this, take my dogs, my wife, my home, but not this........ I'm in LOVE with an AROMATIC!!! I HATE aromatics (this tobacco could only occur in Bizarro world, where superman is evil, Tammy Fae Baker has fashion and makeup sense, and the French could defeat the Germans!!) Pleasant, VERY pleasant, with a soft, lilting smoke, just tangy enough of a backbone to provide supporting structure. Great flavor in it's base components. The single malt is applied with a finesse that I have never encountered before. Any more, and it might be a distraction, any less, and certain diminishment. There is a hint of sweetness, but it merely showcases the beautiful Virginias and Burleys in the best possible light. Smooth, distinctive and utterly bite free throughout the smoke. I'm already repacking another bowl. I would, without the slightest hesitation recommend this to both aromatic and non aromatic smoker alike.

10 out of 10 Bearclaws.