Manufactured from Dark tobacco 'whole leaf' rather than strips, the mid-rib (or stem) gives the 'birds eye' effect when cut. A strong smoke which was particularly favored by the fishermen as the finer cut meant the tobacco was easier to light and to keep-in on board ship when the weather was bad.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong

3.2
NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

UPDATE: Because of the amount of this tobacco that I consume and the frequency at which I consume it - I felt compelled to revisit my review. I have elevated this from 3 to 4 stars.

This is now in the forefront of my daily rotation. It is strong - but not overwhelming. For me ... slow ... shallow puffs gives me the most enjoyment.

Not unlike Fairmorn's Dark Fired Shag there is an unmistakable smoky quality when flue cured with oak. But - this IMHO is a better smoke for a few reasons, not limited to wonderful fine ribbon cut. The overall tobacco is more pleasant and the faint Lakeland Distict cologne may have a great deal to do with it. If one is so inclined to enjoy an occasional pinch of tobacco in the cheek (I'm not talking about those candied floor cuttings they pawn off as chew or that fiberglass laden crap one dips) - you wouldn't be disappointed in this at all either.

This tobacco loves aging and becomes sweeter, more complex and the faint Lakeland scent lingers in the background. I find the room note draws no complaints, which is mind-boggling considering the stoutness of the tobacco.

Cheers, VC

9/21/05 - This is the equivalent of a doppio espresso in pipe smoking for me. It's simple, straightforward and strong. It has it's own bit of complexity and lanquishes in the deep tones.

Fill is easy, burns cool yet quick and is the perfect full flavor short smoke. In my experience this is best for a small bowl despite its fast burning qualities, great in a cob. I smoke this when I don't have time for my ritual but would like my satisfaction. The perfect tobacco for a long walk off a short pier.

Cheers, VC

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the espresso vermicelli of tobaccos! And the last time I enjoyed virginia like this was with Ratray's Black, only you don't have to fight Bird's Eye, in fact it is nothing but easy to pack, light, smoke, tip out ash, and clean after. The long long fine shag cut is great and so is the deep dark caramelized flavor. The strength is just strong and very predictable - nothing to be afraid of. Bag note is a bit intimidating and don't be scared off by this, but it reminds me of a stinky dog's ear and coffee beans (now you have to buy some). Flavor is simple but full and if you've been smoking brown twist, you'll surely recognize this as one componet of those more complex tobaccos.

A few notes.... Packing the pipe is as easy as it gets and there is absolutely no marginal material in the product. No woody bits or clumps that need to be fussed with. Lighting the fine shag is easy as is tamping it. Because the vermicelli like strands are deep seated in the pipe, you can tip out the ash as you smoke without fear of dumping out the unburnt tobacco. This is a good to the bottom of the bowl tobacco; never sour but it does get potent. Nice clean pipe afterwards no gooey sugar mess or heavy soot to clean. Like most Gawith products, this is quality UK style. Treat yourself to something other than cheap!

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The fine cut helps with packing and keeping it lit which is good because you will need to seep it in order to get the most of it and also to help you with the potency of this tobacco. A small pipe with a long stem is in order as you will not need more than a 20 minute rendez-vous with your pipe.

There is a caramelized burnt onion taste than I find interesting, a smoky and pungent flavor that remains constant through the entire bowl. A stout, old style pipe tobacco that is good after a meal or late evening.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Dark Birdseye is a glorious tobacco. It bears a strong family resemblance to some of my favorite strong smokes like the Gawith brown ropes, Peterson’s Irish Flake, and G&H’s muscular Dark Flake Unscented. The potent dark-fired leaf here tastes like smoked meat lightly sprinkled with baker’s chocolate. It’s quite high in nicotine. It can be bitter on occasion. If I smoke it too often, I can get bored with its monolithic flavor.

But as an occasional treat (the doctors tell us that’s how we should treat bacon anyway), it doesn’t suffer from familiarity. Richer than dark fired Kentucky, the fired Virginias here have enough sweetness to balance the smoky, savory elements. I find that a small bowl is all I really need of this and it’s best accompanied by a peaty Islay whisky or a black beer with some smoky undertones.

I haven’t had any problems with this stuff arriving too dry, as others have. If anything, I usually find that it needs to be dried to just this side of crispy if it’s going to work well for me.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (24)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am currently smoking this offering in a large bowl English straight stem London Export pipe (one of my absolute favorite smoking pipes) as I write this review. I felt it proper to engage this tobacco in an environment of hand to hand combat, ignoring "don't ever smoke it in a large bowl, sit down whilst smoking", worst case scenario type of environment, given it's reviews and my gluttony for punishment.

What a bunch of guffaw! This is a fine tobacco that behaves like an absolute Gentleman if treated with respect. It is most definitely strong in the nicotine department, but I find it odd that some reviewers have dinged it for being such whilst knowing what they were getting into. If you like a tobacco that is strong in the nicotine department without a cigar like taste and aroma as is common with some Gawith rope and twist tobacco, this one is for you. My "El Dictator" gave it's room note a thumbs up. It most definitely has a sweet, mild topping that is present to me only while exhaling through the nose and not on the palate.

Smoking this offering in a large bowl did, however, make me sit down, if I wanted to contemplate it's nuances further. I found this wonderful. My one complaint about this tobacco is that it is nearly a shag cut. I think a ribbon cut would have done it more justice. It packs very dense if not careful, and can be a bit harsh on the nostrils when exhaled through the nose. It is somewhat wet and requires a very slight (15 minutes in my air conditioned living room) drying time prior to packing the bowl.

It is spicy, but with no tongue bite. It burns very cool if sipped but will attack the throat if sipping is not your style of smoking a pipe.

This is a stellar smoke as an after dinner, before bedtime offering, or paired with a nice single malt Scotch or quality Kentucky Bourbon. Not an all day smoke to be certain, but absolutely nothing to be afraid of if treated properly.

I truly enjoyed my 8 ounces and will order more in the near future. A great smoke once figured out in your best smoking pipe. Recommended!

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

I just finished my first bowl (in a small clay) of Dark Birdseye, or, Devil's Birdseye, if you prefer. I see it's been compared to a double espresso. I'd make that a triple, with a shot of nitroglycerin. Whew! I had to rope and hogtie this one in order to smoke it. Consequently, I'm writing this while my head's still spinning with the buzz.

I appreciate this tobacco for its strength. I can see how a bowlful or two of this would help one stay awake on a mid-watch. It does have a unique character.

This is one of the heaviest punchers in it's weight class. It's like inviting George Foreman to use your tonsils as a punching bag. It's not a beginner's smoke, and for someone taking up a pipe again after several years, like I am, it's a lesson in stretching limits. It is good, though.

I'll recommend it as a tobacco that gets your attention with a 2 x 4, but manages to keep me challenged once it settles down. This won't make my regular rotation, still, I'll enjoy it in moderation, and on occasion.

Hobbits must be made of much sterner stuff than I am, if this was, as previously mentioned, their "Longbottom Leaf!"

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Update: july 14th 2006: Folks here at Tobaccoreviews sure are in good spirits this summer. Out fo 81 new reviews today, they are only 7 'not recommended' tobaccos. (Of course one of them was mine;-} Anyway, I have to remove a star for this one. As much as I want to like this tobacco, it is just too rough on my throat. Also, it's not quite as strong as I first thought. 2 sterne.

Previously. . . Actually, I like this quite a bit. It is rather rope-like in flavor. Not sweet, a little spicey, a little dry(the flavor, not the tobacco) and strong. I like this more than the ropes I've tried and, since I think of them as similar, will adjust my rope review accordingly. This is very easy to over-pack. Not so much so as Penzance, but tricky anyway, so go light. It also smokes very fast, as others have said, so go slow if you're not used to a nic kick. The flavor doesn't migrate too much, but gets stronger through the smoke. I find bigger bowls better. I smoke this two or three times a week straight and mix it up too, sometimes. Goes well with cannon plug, or other lakelands. . . . There's a reccomendation that's not gonna make to many friends.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

A few previous reviewers made note of the fact that this tobacco is peppery and / or spicy. I totally agree but this was not to my liking. The spiciness dominated the entire bowl(s) and what little flavor I found had a difficult time peeking out from behind the dominant, peppery strength of this blend. This tobacco is just not to my liking for this reason???..and it is STRONG!

I rate this tobacco 5.0 out of 10.

Smokedinacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokedinacob (8)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Full Very Strong

I just finished a two-month stint of smoking a quantity of Dark Birdseye, Kendal Dark, and Kendal Kentucky in rotation at various moisture levels, times-of-day, etc. in an effort to decide which one to start buying in bulk. In the end, although they seem quite different when smoked back to back, I can honestly say that if only any one of the three were available, I would lay in a large stock of it and be thankful.

The middle part applies to all three:

The cut is what I would call an "ultra-fine ribbon." Just wider than a true shag, but handles like a shag. I like how it dries out. I like packing it into the pipe. I like how it burns. It can burn really really fast if you truly pay no attention at all, and with tobaccos of this strength it can be unpleasant, but I am lazy and like how easy it is to get these ribbons to smolder compared to larger stuff. Just let it dry until nearly breakable, squeeze it, light it, and puff easy.

Nicotine. There's a lot in here. It awakens the senses, calms the mind, and coats the mouth.

The flavor of these is decidedly dark and strong. Meaty, tangy, oily, a little sweet, fermented, a little smoky. Smoking these is not a multi-dimensional experience like a symphony. More like Sacred Harp sing--4 notes, wild and good and loud. Full on dark tobacco taste. For real. Rough around the edges, raw, old-timey. I have nothing to compare it to, really. I can only say that I really like it and will keep something like this around at all times.

Dark Birdseye is my favorite. It has a much more pronounced fermented "funk" than the others. It reminds me of the Drum tobacco of my youth, when it was still really, really good. It is a really deeply wild tasting tobacco. Also it has some sauce. Adding to the fermented funk is a musky, exotic, incense funk. It is very faint, but I would describe it as exciting, enticing, pheromone-like, and a powerful compliment to the raw dark tobacco power packed into this weird old-timey leaf.

EDIT: I just got a new half pound of this. Apparently some Euro busy bodies forced a change in the cut. Now it's a fairly standard medium ribbon. Tastes the same, more difficult to light, makes me curse the decline of western civilization every bowl. Still 4 stars.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased 8 oz. of this on the several reviews I read. I have to say that my take is a little different. I am really on the fence this is a fine smoke It could easily be a 4 star blend. However, I too pick up a very mild Lakeland top note that is found throughout the bowl. Light is good as I do enjoy a Lakeland style once in a while. Yet, part of me thinks that even this light topping masks some of the more subtle nuances that the blend has to offer. Still, I get a little spicy sweetness from the VAs. A light caramel and almost butterscotch hint here and there in the sweetness that is just marvelous. The strength is right on for me too. It is funny how a tobacco can take you back to fond memories. For me every time I smoke this I am reminded of the weeks spent on Lake Superior feeling the cool wind and the sandy pebbles on the beach feeling the waves of icey cold water running over my feet. Anyway, that aside, I think this might age and I am saving the last 4 oz dividing it in two. One stored for another year, one for 5. I may have to pick up some more for in between as well. If it ages well it will have to be increased to 4 stars.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Once a true shag cut now more of a narrow ribbon thanks to the European 1.5mm cut rule for pipe tobacco.

Like most G&H tobaccos it's old-fashioned, pretty unique and has a hint of unrefined brutality about it. Dark fired leaf with surprisingly little of the birdseye that gives it's name. As supplied it's a little damp but immediately smokable, as it dries the colour lightens a little with some strands becoming a more mid-brown in colour similar to the air-dried Indian leaf in the dark range. I find this is most flavourful smoked on the damp side, and despite it's name nothing like the dark shag/flake/plug range.

Cool and virtually bite-free unless allowed to dry too much, it produces lots of smoke and burns cleanly and with little if any dottle. The flavour is smoky, pungent, very full and unchanging throughout the bowl. I recommend small, narrow bowls - I'm quite used to strong tobaccos, but the combination of high nocotine and loads of smoke give this one a real punch. Not quite a brown rope, but pretty powerful and stout. My 80 year-old father-in-law has smoked nothing but G&H black ropes for all his life, but Dark Birdseye even made him stagger a bit. It's supposed to be unscented by the way - no Lakeland florals or anything else, "Kendal/Lakeland" is a place, not a description of a particular flavour of tobacco.

My wife reckons the room note is fine when smoked in small quantities, but it counts as an acrid chemical weapon requiring immediate evacuation of the vicinity if fired up in a larger bowl.

The cut means it burns quickly, but it also burns quite cooly. I find a Peterson Belgique or similar "clay pipe" sized small bowl is great for a 20ish minute smoke when out and about. It also keeps it's flavour outdoors, which is useful.

Finally, it doesn't ghost at all and builds cake very quickly - it excels as as a tobacco for breaking in a new briar.

Recommended for those who like strong, stout old-fashioned tobaccos with plenty of unique flavour.

ps - I defy anyone to inhale this without exploding :-)

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Straight forward, strong tobacco with a slight sweetness and just enough Lakeland flavors that you know it's a Lakeland style tobacco, but, its 99.9% pure tobacco taste. There is no complexity to this blend, it burns cleanly and doesn't bite. I like strong tobaccos, and I am a big fan of GH blends, but this is a miss for me as I simply don't like the taste and it would be useful only as a quick nic hit. However, fans of dark rope tobacco will find a happy home here. Somewhat Recommended

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Strong

Dark Birdseye has that wonderful G, H & Co. shag cut that makes it so easy to pack and smoke. It also has their Lakeland essence, but it is applied with some restraint. The floral perfume is present from beginning to end, with frequent soapy notes, but it does not overwhelm the tobacco. After a few minutes, you really don't notice the perfume at all, just strong tobacco flavor.

Nicotine is strong, an even higher dose than in their Kendal Kentucky.

Like KK, it must be sipped very slowly to get the flavor, otherwise it is harsh and hot.

Note on room note: This tobacco gets a strong thumbs down from the wife, who says it smells like cigarettes. I can smoke this one only when the house is deserted or everyone is asleep.

Its place in the rotation: Dark Birdseye is the only Lakeland I keep around. Better flavor than Kendal Kentucky, and it is one of the strongest nicotine doses you will find. With its ease of packing and smoking, it gets a place in the regular rotation. For those who enjoy the Lakeland blends and don't mind its light perfume, it's the pick of its class.

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Going through a lot of G&H tobaccos lately has shown me just how much that strength is relative to the smoker. Yes, this one is strong, but I found it a lot milder than Kendal Dark or the black ropes, none of which I can smoke. This one reminds me of Kendal Kentucky but does not have the full depth of flavor to my taste buds.

This is a rich, bold tobacco but not a head-spinner. This, along with Kendal Kentucky, is what I would offer someone that said that they just wanted to taste tobacco with no soap, florals, leather, wood, spices, etc etc. Just pure tobacco. I did find the faintest trace of lakeland soapiness here but it was SO faint, it may have even been my imagination. I'll keep this one around. It's just so ironic to me that G&H can make the "best" strong tobaccos and the "worst" ones at the same time - IMHO, of course!

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Dark Birdseye is a big, full tobacco. Rich and satisfying, and being from Lakeland, highest quality. But largely devoid of Lakeland scent or perfumes. Just straight tobacco goodness. If you enjoy the strong Gawith ropes, plugs, and flakes but tire of all the cutting and rubbing, give Birdseye a try. You won't be disappointed.

My only complaint is that (in the U.S. at least) it is only available in bulk. The quantity is not the problem (you can get as little as 2oz) but rather the moisture control. I like my tobacco moist, but my bulk Birdseye arrived dry, which then required rehydration. I am sure this would not be the case were it tinned.

Update: I went whole hog and ordered 500g, which means that it arrives in the original Gawith Hoggarth packaging. Though it wasn't vacuum sealed, it arrived with perfect moisture content. They package it in a bag that is kind of like the old insulated paper bags you used to get at the grocery store when you bought ice cream. They just fold the top over and tape it, -but it worked! No good for you cellaring fanatics, but as I always maintain, if you buy good tobacco upfront (Lakeland) there's never a need to cellar. My guess is my initial problem resulted from the local tobacconist not being careful when breaking down a bulk pack to sell in smaller quantities.

I've been experimenting with keeping bulk tobacco in large canning jars with one of those humidifying gel discs (sold on ebay) under the lid. A bit early yet for a definitive take, but so far the discs seem to be working as advertised.

Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This tabac is really only for the die hard flake or rope smoker.Although this has no resemblance physically to those ,the strength is exceedingly powerful.A very cigarette like cut with a slightly bitter taste,it really is only for the stout of heart.Proceed with caution! 2 stars.

Wartooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wartooth (5)
Extremely Strong None Detected Medium Extra Strong

This is a high quality blend indeed. Just be sure to hold onto your hat, as the nicotine is enough to knock it off your head! I smoked 2 ounces of this in an small clay over the course of a couple of weeks. The cut is nice and burns easily. The taste however is a bit ashy. Very much like a strong cigar. Personally, if I wanted such taste, I would just light a cigar instead (and often do!).

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is pretty good stuff, but certainly not an all-day everyday smoke for me. Small, gentle puffs are necessary to get the real flavor; otherwise, it can be harsh, harsh, and harsh with a slight cigar-like undertone. The nicotine can really creep up on you when you smoke too much or too fast, but it's not as sickening as Dark Flake or the ropes.

When smoked in moderation and with attention, DBE serves up woody, nutty, and piney notes with an underpinning of citrus. These flavors are nice, but having a tobacco dictate pace, volume, taste, and other facets of the smoke to this degree is a real turn-off.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Let me start with the opinion that this is the type of tobacco Shelock Holmes was supposed to keep in his slipper in the fictional accounts. G&H only say that this is a dark tobacco. They do not provide the origins, unlike many others of their blends. To my taste, this is mostly, or entirely dark fired BURLEY, with little or no Virginia leaf. There seems to be no topping added, just a slightly pungent aroma from the leaf. In fact, there is very little about the aroma that hints at the smoking experience. I won't belabor the fine cut, except to note that it reminds me of Schippers (sp?), which I tried many years ago. As expected, it lights very easily, sometimes with a single Vesta. You immediateley taste the dark, smokey leaf in a burst of flavor. The taste reminds me of a decent Dutch/Danish dry cigar, more refined than a Tuscany style (DiNobili for example). There is little or no complexity to the smoke, no matter how slowly it is smoked, but there is a lot of satisfaction, owing to the fullness of the flavor (and the nicotine level). It also has a tendency to dry out my mouth, another trait of Burley. The leaf does not burn hot unless puffed too agressively, and can be smoked outdoors in moderate breezes. (I don't smoke in stiff winds). I find it works best in smaller pipes, mostly because it becomes too dry in larger bowls. An excellent choice in a cob, in which you can reload almost immediately, as it burns dry and clean. The ash is always dry, but a dark gray color, never white. To me, this is another Burley indicator.

Puff..puff..puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff..puff..puff (5)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is really great stuff if you are looking for a strong, straight forward Virginia in a fine ribbon/shag cut. Lights easy, burns to a fine ash and stays lit. It can be a little harsh if too moist as it comes from the blender but if you fluff it up a bit and let it dry just a little it smokes smooth. It's one of two tobaccos that I keep several pounds of at all times. If you enjoy high nicotine tobacco I think you'll enjoy this one. I use to enjoy this tobacco as a shag cut but always thought it would be better as a ribbon. I was pleased to see that more recent purchases are now in a fine ribbon cut. Good became even better.

Pipe Used: Good in all my pipes

Similar Blends: Have not smoked anything similar to it..

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (17)
Very Strong Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have tried Kendal Kentucky, Kendal Dark and Kendal Dark Birdeye and I have to say that if I was asked what non aromatic from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. I should try it would be Kendal Dark Birdeye.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Kendal Dark, Kendal Kentucky.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Deep brown, almost black, shag. Very moist when I pulled it out of the bag, so I let it dry for 15 minutes. Like others (JimInks, chaplikc, Camerade, and Hemlock) I noticed a strong burley presence. I usually don't respond well to burley, which always bites and gives me a strong impression of a burning grocery sack. This was much smoother and my hostile reaction to burley was only growling and not straining the leash. Still, my overall experience was that this is a harsh tobacco. That shouldn't be the case with everyone (or even most people), but the burley (if it's there) really sandpapered my tongue.

Leaving that aside, the other strong impression I had was that this HG blend is SG's 1792 Flake without the tonkin essence. It's almost as strong as 1792, and has a lot of the flavor of that blend, but it lacks the je ne sais quoi of tonkin. Tastes are overwhelmingly savory, especially in the last half. Woodsmoke, mushrooms, butter, hints of Worcestershire and anchovy sauce. Lakeland scent peeps out at you every once in a while and then disappears before reappearing again at random intervals. Thick white-grey smoke, too, if you like that sort of thing.

On the whole, I didn't enjoy this. But I really appreciate its quality, and if you like very strong tobacco, or tried 1792 and hated the tonkin, then be sure to give this one a go.

Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a tobacco i dont cant regulary smoke. Best smoking time for me from March - May.

Tast is very full. Reminds me on to long roasted, speak to very dark brown roasted hazelnuts.

Nicotine too, special the last third of a bowl. Last time i bought it was round about 8 years ago. And it isnt gone. Every year 3 oz or so is my maximum.

Its hardly to recommand gerneral.

Belongs very much to the smoker. Because the Nic-tolerance

2-3 Stars.

Age When Smoked: 1 - 8

Similar Blends: GH Kendal Dark (insted the Nuts in Bird eye) more coffee.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

OK, this is it, the strongest stuff I've ever smoked!! This is not a fire cracker, it's a cherry bomb! That is not to say that it can't be enjoyed, but it is absolutely necessary to exercise caution by selecting a small pipe bowl size and a stem that is as long as possible. I saw a few reviews comparing the flavor to Five Bros. and Drum, but I'm a bit surprised that there were no comparisons to Condor or even Mick McQuaid. I think that Dark Birdseye tastes a lot like Condor, and I like that flavor, but DB is much, much stronger. I frequently enjoy many of the G&H Ropes and Twists, but this particular blend takes strength to a new level. I "Somewhat Recommend" this tobacco as only a very occasional smoke. If you want "strong", I think that the G&H Ropes are the far more civilized alternative.

Pipe Used: Small Meershcaum Churchwarden

Similar Blends: Condor, Mick McQuaid, Drum, (EXCEPT IN STRENGTH!!).

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, has a slight After Taste

Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This has a great taste to it, but smoke it in a small bowl or have a little something on your stomach if you use a bigger pipe for it. It's not a complex smoke, but it doesn't have to be; the semi-sweet, deep, rich earthy taste of Kentucky will fill your senses and is consistently pleasing. The room note is rather strong. It reminds me of Kendall Kentucky, which is less sweet, and a little stronger in intensity and nicotine, but this is no light weight tobacco. I like the cut of it and it burns well, cool, and slow. It may need a little drying time when you first open the bag. If you want a strong, tasty coin cut and ribbon tobacco that doesn't knock you on your fanny, you'll like this.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This one is the Va version of KK, lighter in flavour and a little sweeter, but with the same amazing nicotine punch. Cool smoking and great burning leaf!!!

itsKoit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
itsKoit (5)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Long, stringy shag that fills a pipe easily and takes a light like a champ. Cool, slow burning and a good flavorful kick, what more could anyone want? The flavoring is rather light, just enough to let you know it's there. I'm not well versed with lakeland tobaccos so i cannot say what the flavoring is, or if it's the typical lakeland floral that many either love or hate. As for me, I like it! The nicotine content will slap you in the face if you're not careful! I made the mistake of smoking this from a larger bowled lovat and I swear I turned green, and I've never had that problem before with any tobacco. Don't let that scare you, it's a friendly tobacco that anyone can enjoy, just watch yourself and exercise some control.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Fastest way I found to cake a bowl. At the end of my 4oz. sample I could barley get a pencil into my pipes bowl. Anyway, I love this stuff so i give Dark Birdseye three thumbs up- i have three arms so I can do that.

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought some Dark Birdseye a couple of months ago to try. At the time I thought it was decent but a tad rough and nippy. And goodLawdawmighty was it strong! So I tucked it away in a jar and have just recently come back to it, and I sure am glad I did! It is a rich, buttery smooth smoke with an outstanding dark tobacco flavor. The vitamin N has diminished just enough to be thoroughly satisfying without turning your world on it's ear. This is what I imagine tobacco tasted like in the colonial days. I could see men in tricorn hats smoking this on a dock while complaining about the tariffs on indigo etc. Truly first class tobacco, time for me to stock up!

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

I realy enjoy this blend. Although this is listed as a virginia blend I detect a small amount of burley. I prefer stronger blends and I would categorize this as a medium strong blend. It smokes cool and the flavor is great. I feel this is a great intoduction for those that want to try G&H blends but are afraid of the Lakeland essence. I would give this a 4 star rating but I generaly do not like shag cuts, I give this one an exception though because of its aother great qualitys. 3.5 stars and I recommend this blend!

sailor dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sailor dave (2)
Strong Mild Mild Tolerable

This is what I would call an honest tobacco. No frills, bells or whistles. Just good tobacco taste and a good nicotine punch. It's a "one note" taste with little to no complexities, at least to me. I prefer a strong first pipe of the day and this fits the bill on some mornings. I do trade this off with Chelsea Morning and Nightcap. Not 4 stars because of its "simple" taste but one to consider keeping in my rotation for a morning smoke.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

this one is a wild stallion.. if you are a fan of stronger tobaccos like 1792, irish flake, royal yacht, etc.. give this one a try.. it has a pleasant subdued dark fired sort of flavor but also has a dash of lakeland essence to it.. very strong, very satisfying.. 4 stars for those who seek nicotene punches.. 3 stars for me, its good stuff

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I share Kilmarnock Piper's sentiments on this blend. If the "contents" hadn't told me different, I would've swore this was more dark-fired kentucky with a small amount of virginia for body. Very similar to Kendal Kentucky by all measures except not as much Lakeland essence in my sample of DB as I found in KK, and that amount which is here works with the tobacco taste rather than against it. The taste of this tobacc at times reminds me of a waffle cone...weird huh. I like tobacco that ties my stomach in knots, makes my throat snap shut, and gives me the hiccups, and Dark Birdseye is guilty on all counts. It may be Brown Bogie in shag form. I prefer Brown Bogie to this, but I definitely prefer this one to Kendal Kentucky. Treat er with respect.

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A no frills, no nonsense tobacco. Flavor wise, I find it to be plain with a hint of sweetness to it. It is easy to pack, cool burning, with no detectable bites.

This is by no means a bad thing as what you get is a true smoking experience of what a good pipe tobacco is. Word of caution, treat it with respect and smoke it lightly as this tobacco packs a punch.

I would RECOMMEND this.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

Reading down the years of varied comments on this, as with most G & H dark blends is not only interesting but rather comical on occasion: Lakeland character...it's soapy...it's not soapy; N factor...it's the strongest weed on the planet...it's just right; room note...it stinks...it's ambrosia on the halfshell; the cut is a bust...the shag is ideal. And so it goes. Me? I love the stuff. Has that non-latakia (in other words full and round, not thin and sharp) flue cured flavor akin to Dark Plug/Flake for which Gawith is justly diefied. I think that Hemlock has the right idea and expresses his cogent thoughts in a manner that allows us to 'feel' the target of his admiration. That this blend represents what so very few others in the field accomplish...that of being an archetype...is just exactly right. It is simplicity as well as zenith. To a well experienced tobacco man, one not willing to be lured unto the dark side of the kingdom...or having been there and back...this provides a subtle purity of flavor, an unapologetic strength and a ready to enjoy cut that make it arguably THE epitome of pipe smoking excellence. If this isn't Burley...then it's what some long lost genius discovered he could do with VA to MAKE it so. Is it the best stuff there is? Well, actually...no. I find this on a par with Dark Flake/Dark Plug and sliced Sweet Rum Twist, for varied reasons. And Germain's Stonehaven as well as John Patton's brilliant Storm Front also vie for top honors. You can shout "Amen!" or "Heresy!" or just walk away shaking your head. To me, having found a half dozen such blends is well worth the forty years and likely close to a half million dollars that it required.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

As someone who has been going through two or three pouches of Five Bros. a month, I was keen to try DBE. A VA interpretation of Five Bros.? Yes, please! Oddly, my first several bowls were unmemorable, in fact, I thought it was the Brothers redone. But as I continued through my sample bag, it became apparent it wasn't. The Lake essence is there, for starters (although ridiculously mild). A pleasant addition to my palate for sure. But even as strong as this blend is, it's rather sweet! Where I started thinking it was a straight Kentuckified Burley, I realized no, the description may well be right...a Virginia. The preparation is similar, I reckon, making it easier to be confused. Regardless of what variety of leaf used, the bottom line is it's damned enjoyable. Unlike the aforementioned Five Bros.(Can you tell where I'm coming from, comparison wise, yet? ;)) Dark Birdseye doesn't 'wear me out'...taxed tongue, wasted palate, etc. I could smoke this all day. This is even more remarkable because typically VA blends do just this to me when smoked bowl after bowl. I admit my high nicotine tolerance makes this assertion possible, though.

I have smoked DBE in cobs, clays, Falcons, briars and even a meer, and it performs well in all. I really can't think of any real negative I've encountered with it. I suppose if you dislike packing shag cuts, or despise their burn characteristics, you may dislike this one. Same if you're nicotine sensitive or annoyed by Lakelands in general. But for me, this one here is a keeper.

Four enthusiastic stars.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Hot damn! This one is love at first puff for me. I am definitely a fan of the stronger GH&Co baccies, and almost always have some Brown Irish or Dark Flake (or both) on hand for regular enjoyment. Having read in a previous review that this one probably approximates the contents of the great detective's persian slipper, well, I just had to give it a go.

The weed was very moist on arrival and needed a couple of hours of airing to reach what I consider an appropriate level of hydration for a pleasant smoke. When it was ready, in homage to Jeremy Brett's seminal portrayal of Holmes, I loaded up my recently cleaned churchwarden and settled down on a comfortable perch.

Thanks to its shag cut the tobacco took a flame easily, with absolutely no fuss and surprisingly little 'crowning', and I was engulfed in thick clouds of pungent and potent smoke. To my tastes, this one displays slightly more usual VA characteristics than the blends mentioned earlier. I imagine you would actually get a similar taste combo if you loaded your bowl with a 50:50 mix of the Brown Irish and Dark Flake, except that Dark Birdseye has a touch more natural sweetness, and the different elements seem more 'melded' than they would be if you filled up with the two distinct blends.

This tobacco burns fast, but not hot. The speed of combustion is possibly one reason why it delivers such a serious nicotine punch. Seriously folks, even with my proclivity for the strong stuff, it really gave me a wallop. Lovely!

To my mind this is classic stuff and I recommend it wholeheartedly to those that enjoy strong, flavoursome British tobaccos. It ain't complex, but it is tasty, satisfying and thoroughly deserving of a place in my cellar alongside the aforementioned GH&Co blends.

PS. And for those who are bothered by such things, I detect no trace of the 'lakeland essence' in this one.

Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I don't have too much to add on this one. I find it to be very similar to Kendal Kentucky. I keep a few tobaccos like this in my collection, but they are not my everyday smoke. Tastes more like Kentucky-cured Burley than Virginia to me, but what do I know? Virginia could be made to taste like this, I suppose, if cured in a certain way. This is not subtle. There are no fine nuances of flavor. This is man's 'baccy, must be sipped unless you are a better man than I, and yet now that I have tasted this and KK, these strong Burley shags are something I will always keep (small amounts of) around. Blowing this out my nose makes me feel like I'm taking snuff!

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not a bad tobacco, but not something I will smoke regularly. will gracefully finish my bag over the winter. By the way this will cake up your bowl lickety split!

Camarade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camarade (5)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

To all of those reviewers who recommended Dark Birdseye to aficionados of Five Brothers shag cut burley, I owe you a heartfelt 'Thank You'!

Here is yet another of the elite, no nonsense tobaccos fortified by only the essence of tobacco itself. Admittedly my palate occasionally discerns a hint of Lakeland on the initial charring light, but fortunately that is short-lived if present at all. For the remainder of the bowl, the tobacco taste reigns.

For those of you who are in the mood for tobacco taste, potency, and satisfaction, fire up a narrow chambered bowl of hardy Dark Birdseye.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow! Light up a bowl of this and you'll be well on your way to vomit city— it's a damned strong tobacco. Many say that this is high in nicotine content, but I'm not so sure. I know that the tobacco itself is extremely harsh— inhaling this will lead to intense coughing.

I couldn't smoke this stuff in a pipe, so I put it aside (I don't know where I put it, and frankly I'd rather not find it). A few months later, someone rolled me a cigarette with, I think it was 'Drum' tobacco, and that was it— Dark Birdseye for a fraction of the price. I can't say that it's cigaretteish, because Drum tobacco tastes nothing like the pre-packaged cigarettes, but it is certainly very similar to Drum. This tobacco would probably be better off in small quantities, in cigarettes or in a filtered pipe (I don't own any), because in a regular pipe this will knock you out.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Just got my hands on this blend along with some Kendall Kentucky and some other blends from 4 Noggins. This blend did not surprise me in quality but it did in flavor. My area has no 'good' tobacco shops so getting any quality blends is impossible. Smoking this only moments after it came in the mail was like meeting an old friend that you have not seen or spoken with in years. It just made me feel 'at home' again. Its a great shag cut with intense natural flavor. I am looking forward to a calm, easy smoke in a big bowl over the Holiday weekend to really get the full body from this blend. Notes of Lakeland are very subtle and vanish after the first few pulls. It then opens up to a full body smoke with wood tones, a hint of sweetness and finishes out with a nice robust nutty flavor. Thanks 4 Noggins for suggesting this blend to me. This will be in my rotation for years to come. Highly suggested to anyone looking to try a quality, straight and robust tobac.

hufflepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hufflepuff (8)
Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

Shag cut and needs only a little bit of drying. On first light I get just a hint of that lakeland scent but it quickly dissipates. This is a full natural flavor tobacco smoke. Burns nicely and quickly develops a full nuttiness that never seems harsh like some other blends of this strength. Overall a very nice smoke although I think I like Kendal Kentucky a touch better.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

It's a thin ribbon/shag cut, a style that I really enjoy. DBE has a full bodied, semi sweet taste that does best for me in a dedicated pipe, sipped slowly, packed tightly. I like it best in group 2-3 pipes (no larger than .750"/19mm chamber ID'd bowls). It's flavor is consistent from initial light to last puff, nary a gurgle, and no Lakeland soap taste. I'm having difficulty describing the taste, just like it. Just like 5 Brothers, nothing else seems to substitute.

I tend to review only blends I really like, this one is among them.

late-nitedrydrunk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
late-nitedrydrunk (10)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorites. Dark birdseye has a very rich flavor enhanced by the dark fire cured tobacco, which adds a subtle smokey character, although perhaps not as much so as in Dark Flake. And while some smokers may expect some harshness with this type of tobacco, to my palate I detect not a trace. I believe flavor wise that DBE lies somewhere in between Dark Flake and the GH brown ropes. Richer flavor than brown bogie or brown irish twist but not as bold as Dark Flake, which makes it a perfect morning or all day smoke. Also, I detect little to none of the Lakeland essence. Easy to stay lit as one would expect from the cut, but it also has a tendency to dry out if not always stored in a jar. I rated this as strong for people new to this type of tobacco, however well seasoned smokers might find it closer to medium in strength.

PS: Another reviewer made a comment about the "gingery" scent of the tobacco in the jar. I could never put my finger on it before, but that's a very accurate description.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

Having opened a mason jar of a few ounces of bulk sealed for several years, I cannot stop smoking this one. Beautiful shag cut and likely what Sherlock was smoking. It seems similar to high quality rolling tobacco, but is evidently so rich to be obviously only for your most well-seasoned dedicated natural blend pipes.

It is full, earthy, dry and smoky. Will smoke a whole bowl without relighting, and only the odd tamp. There is a fulfilling mouth feel, huge volumes of smoke and gradual, but very evident nicotine satisfaction. This is downright addictive to this pipeman, and I'm sure not complaining when I say that.

Frankly, it is so plain, with little more than an earthy, dry burley (I'm not convinced this is VA) flavour that promises nothing more than honesty and genuine tobacco character. It is thus an archetypal tobacco, meant for the enjoyment only by the initiated. It is so clean that cake may never form in your briar, and it will always leave your senses feeling freshened, rather than dulled as some blends do. It smells great in the traditional masculine tobacco sense.

To smoke it and to love it, is surely akin to sharing a sensory and transcendental experience with our venerable pipe smoking brothers from the centuries past, long since dead and gone.

Smoke it only if you're in love with tobacco.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me begin with saying I am an English smoker. Mainly because I love Latakia. The reason I don't enjoy straight Virginia tobaccos is the bite. No matter what pipe I use, loading method, etc., I always get severe bite and my pipe tends to get good and hot risking damage to the pipe.

This was a Christmas gift from a friend and came under high recommendation. Such high recommendation the friend offered to take it back and replace it with an English blend if I didn't like it.

Well, to my surprise I very much enjoyed this blend! While I can tell if abused this will still deliver the dreaded bite, with attention I had a very enjoyable smoke indeed! It's dark, full and smokey. Things I enjoy in my English blends! I kept catching a hint of cocoa and there seemed to be a spicy element on my tongue. Great aroma for me as well. Of course the wife wouldn't like it, but I am used to that. Very stringy cute and a very springy texture. Stayed ablaze after only the charring light. Nice white/grey ash. Pipe didnt over hear either. Overall, I would recommend this blend to anyone. Even fellow English smokers. I have been searching for a non-English tobacco to put into my rotation and now I have found it. Many thanks to my dear friend for the gift!

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Alot of reviews say this is very strong to too strong. i didnt feel it was. however i like very strong snuff and cigars so i am not a good judge on strength. what a wonderful tobacco. that soapy perfume taste when you first light it up is heaven. also the nicotine hit is huge. This stuff is big and its full tobacco flavor. 5 Brothers is very,very similar, but DBE is far superior. IMO

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Top notch stuff this. Very much in the pocket of the ropes, this is a dark, earthy, rather bitter shag cut tobacco. Strong but not overso and as others have said it's important not to have this too dry or it'll burn hot. That's its only drawback really, otherwise recommended unreservedly. Classic British quality, which is the best in the world from the world's best blender G & H.

AnalogMoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AnalogMoz (9)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I purchased eight ounces of this from Mars Cigars in hopes that this would be my Sherlockian Shag; it very well may be, perhaps I am not the man he was and cannot tolerate a tobacco this strong, at least before breakfast. On researching this legendary tobacco I read that some thought that this resembled Drum rolling tobacco. The product I received is certainly not Drum: it is a broader shag and not the same long, stringy cut as the aforementioned cigarette tobacco. The scent of the unburnt tobacco is earthy, brown. As a Virginia smoker I find it possible that there is some burley in here, perhaps as Kentucky. Don't quote me. I really am not a master. Loads very easily, as you'd expect from the cut. Upon lighting you are made blatantly aware that this is no-nonsense tobacco. I smoke a fair amount of strong tobacco: Peterson Irish Flake, SG Bracken Flake, GH Sweet Rum Twist, etc. but this one hits me the hardest. The smoke is voluminous and creamy, with some woody notes. It tended to dry my mouth out a little and I was grateful for my tea pot sitting by. It burns well, leaving little moisture and minimal dottle. However, I am slightly afraid of this stuff. It's cool-burning and full-tasting and reliable, but I think I found my superior in strength. I used to think I was capable of smoking the most mighty of offerings. Perhaps I am not Holmesian enough to fully "get" this. It is obviously of amazing quality--don't mistake me--but I may not be entirely up to the challenge. Those fishermen were surely men that lived a harder life than mine! If you are curious about trying this, by all means do so. It is unique in the field of pipe tobacco. It is also slightly ancient in its preparation, which allows a certain reference to our modern times. This isn't a PG-soaked wad of near-tobacco. This is pretty much the real thing. One really should try this once, and, if you're a better man than I, enjoy this in quantity. I, for one, would be impressed.

BTW: If you were looking for real Edwardian pipe shag and bought McClelland's Black Shag and were wondering, "Really?", then this very well might guide you into the dingy rooms of 221B a bit better than McClelland's.

UPDATE 09/26/2009: A few months of aging in a Mason jar does wonders to this tobacco! Being timid of Dark Bird's Eye, I canned my supply for 4 months in two separate jars. Growing curious about DBE again I opened one jar and discovered a sweet Virginia scent in the jar I never noticed in the original bulk plastic bag...and the sweetness was noticeable also in the tobacco itself- very balanced and easy-smoking, more fragrant and easy to smoke. I now more fully understand the miracle of aging Virginia tobaccos. So, to sum up: if you found this a touch rough and unpleasant, seal it in glass for a few months and viola! great tobacco.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

Update 1/15/10

I'm going to have to drop this a star. Still a very good blend but a slight salsa like effect on my tongue has become distracting and unpleasant. If you can get past it, or enjoy it, then I heartily recommend this blend.

Original Review: I received a sample of DBE in a trade for some Kendal Kentucky and had been wanting to try it for some time but had been unable to locate any. The sample I received was a little dry but a tiny bit of distilled water moistened it right up. Due to the shag cut it soaked the tiny amount of distilled water right up. After this I took a deep breath of some of the most fragrant, wonderful smelling tobacco I have ever had the pleasure of sniffing. The aroma is reminiscent of figs, earthiness and pure tobacco. No top note or casing was detectable at all.

Since I've read the reviews on here as to the strength I chose a small pipe to begin my test. A Stanwell featherweight lovat to be exact. Since this shag cut can easily be packed too tightly then I decided to use a light hand in the packing. Once match touched the soft bed of shag I was in heaven. The taste was exactly like the aroma. As far as I can tell this is a virginia based blend. I don't detect any burley or kentucky in the taste. No bitterness or nuttiness here just a subdued sweetness and earthiness you find in the darker virginias like FVF. The taste didn't waiver at all and remained the same throughout the bowl. If you're looking for complexity then look elsewhere. If you're looking for a smooth, strong smoke with no tongue bite that is very easy to tend to then you're in the right place. Four stars all the way.

blackbox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blackbox (3)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

The Dark Birdseye was one of the first GH tobaccos i tried. At first I only loved the full taste of it but wasn't really aware of the nicotine content. But son of a gun, that's some bloody potent smoke. Due to the fine cut it "burns" quite fast. If you do not mind this fact and start pushing it, it will push back and knock you off your rubberlike feet. But if you give this one the time it needs it will be a true delight to nearly everyone into pure Virginia.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This is my all time favorite GH blend. It is very fine like angle hair and smells of ginger. This has vitamen "N" a plenty and smells great!! What more can a person ask for?

Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was given about two ounces of this as I am a Five Brothers smoker at least once a day and don't find it all that strong and no "N" moments and I don't tend to like VAs all that much. But, man this is a good one. Had my first "N" moment in years with this one! But I love it. It is very cool to me especially for a VA, and burned well all the way down and lit on first attempt. Very mild but with the kick and tastes a little spicy and dark chocolate or expresso like. I like it's cut, reminds me of the Flying Dutchman of old but much darker and not aromatic. I have to say, this one will make me try more dark VAs as I really like it. I also like the room note, but it mike make my wife run for the hills, I have not smoked it around her yet. I highly recommend this to try, especially those that can handle Five Brothers as it is a great alternative. And IMHO, G and H does not know how to make a bad baccy. I have never disliked anything from them. Will keep this one around.

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I gave this a three. Why? 'cause my wife says if I smoke this around her again thats it! (Almost tempted to take her on with that threat and buy a pound!). I digress. I really like this stuff but did not find it as easy to light as the "promo" reads regarding fishermen in gale force winds. I will say that the sweetness is accentuated when puffing it with a glass of lager ;)

eichenlaub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eichenlaub (13)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Fantastic stuff if smokes slowly, can be nippy if your agitated. this stuff lights and burns very easily and is a great start to the day dark and chocolate like with a hint of soapiness. alot like dark flake i assume they are kissing cousins.

Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very tasty smoke with dark spicy creamy and dark chocolate after taste, also it has the typical G&H topping but it is very natural raw Virginia tobacco with good dose of nicotine however not overwhelmed and Manageable, it tastes better with sweet black coffee, require small pipe, loose packing and soft puffing with slow smoking pace to be fully enjoyed, overall this is top quality stuff that I keep always some on hand,

Give it a try!

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Yes Santa Claus there is a Virginia!! This marvellous blend continues to delight sea goers, land lovers, airmen,or anyone for that matter, who should by chance strike match to its soft bed of awaiting leaf in his/her brier, clay, or cob. It does not matter. Strong and mighty, naturally sweet in only that true Virginia way. A morning smoke for me with a cup of robust black sweetened coffee. I have never smoked anything exactly like it although I must admit Sam Gawith's Braken Flake when rubbed out to a shag has a smitten resemblance, at least for me. Absolutely wonderful.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

lay back and enjoy,,its a plain dark virginia and nothing else,,i start my morning with and consider it as a satisfying start truly a fisher man friend as the damn thing wont go off,,easily packed easily lit and burn into very fine ash with an after taste tht will last for quite some time,,not a social tobacco though as the room note is kinda over powering! p.s(although it is a virginia blend however it kinda reminds me of 5 brothers blend, taste and consistency wise, weird i know)

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After whipping through a generous sample of this at the speed of smoke (many thanks Pipestud), I decided to store my new 500 gram package in the toe of a Persian slipper and attach it to my mantle piece with a dagger. Due to the size of the package I was forced to compromise and use a pair of Tony Llamas and a couple Bowie knives. How I managed to miss this combustible wonder in 36 years of pipe smoking escapes me.

I like to give it to beginners, then sit back and watch their reactions. This would make another suitable substitute for waterboarding at Club Gitmo.

I like it best in a smaller bowl and have dedicated two Stanwell Cuttys to this perfect shag. This is most likely what McClelland had in mind for 221b Baker St. "Missed it by that much."

Great stuff!

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Birdseye is now part of a steady morning routine, I smoke a bowl with some coffee.

Easy to pack and light, some tamping might be needed during the smoke.

Taste is dark sweet all the way down the bowl, musty and satisfying.

Smokes dry and cool.

Highly recommended!!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Really a pleasant, flavorful blend despite its "chest hair" strength. For a Virginia mixture, this burns cool and smokes with little or no dottle. I have enjoyed it "straight-up" and mixed with some mild aromatic blends with equal pleasure.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is a breeze to smoke once rubbed out, but it is a powerhouse. I think that this one is best left to the seasoned professional. It made me a bit dizzy but it has a great taste. I do wish that it was a bit downed down. Who knew that too much of a good thing was not so good.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Good stuff,great outdoor smoke,never harsh,wont bite,good tobacco taste.Can burn a little hot sometimes.Not as full bodied as Dark flake and Dark plug and nic-wise not as strong as either,but still very potent. The cut makes for a nice change of pace.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Overwhelming Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

Well I guess that this is the stuff that was first put into a pipe by the colonists and smoked. I guess it took them not to long to figure out that they had to tone it down some. I found this blend to be strong and smoked to hot. The flavor will stay on your tongue for a day or so. All I can say is Yuck!!

petersonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
petersonsmoker (9)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Birdseye is a perfect smoke for those outdoor activities - personally not even I would smoke it inside the house. Almost as strong as S.G. Black XX it packs a punch but not so much that you need to be sitting down when you smoke it - I am usually fishing or leaf raking etc.

What surprised me was how cool it smoked in the bowl even in high winds. Some here say they shorten the cut before packing their pipe but I find this is not necessary and it packs easily from the beginning.

Birdseye smokes dry leaving a fine gray ash in the pipe. I have smoked this tobacco in heavy snow and rain and it is the lowest maintenance smoke I have had. Stays lit no matter what.

I usually smoke medium to large bowled Petersons.

Tim

tom lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tom lon (2)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I have been smoking DBE for only about two weeks and find it very pleasant. My tobacconist http://www.TheItalianPipe.com recommended it to me with warnings on its strength. Taking his advice I smoked only 1/2 pipefull in a Dunhill #2. The ribbon cut was very easy to load and just the right moisture level. It stays lit from the top of the bowl to the bottom leaving a fine white ash. There is no wet dottle as with flavored tobaccos. It is a full strtength Virginia, and much stronger then the SG 1792 and Full Virginia tobacco I usually smoke. The flavor of the natural Virginia carries through from the top of the bowl to the bottom, with a strong nicotine bang towards the end of the bowl. This is not a tobacco for the novice but anyone who enjoys full unflavored Virginias should enjoy it. I have now increased from a full bowl in a Group 2 to a Group3 pipe, but feel that is the maximum load one should smoke due to its strength. I generally smoke it as an apertif after dinner, but in the last few days have been smoking it in the afternoon as well. It won't replace my old standbys but certainly joins my rotation. 9/3/07 I have graduated to a Group 4 but still prefer it in a Group 2 or 3. I have now stared it as my exclusive blend for all day use. Occasionally I run through a bowl of St. Bruno, but tend to stick to the Dark Birdseye. I suspect a Group 4 is a little too large, but very good in the evening after dinner. This is the ONLY tobacco which does not give me tongue bite and that is why I have switched to it as my all day smoke. I cannot recommend it to the novice as I reported in my first posting.

Blueline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blueline (5)
Very Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

A friend recently sent me a sample of this fine blend, which is fragrant without being an aromatic. Flavor is very consistent throughout the bowl. Easy to light and keep lit. A very nice tobacco for outdoor walks in cold weather. I had to avoid smoking it too quickly because of its strength. Being a very thin, ribbon cut it is easy to burn too fast if one does not pay attention. I would not recommend this blend for a novice pipe smoker as it would likely become overpowering.

anixi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anixi (17)
Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

GawHogg, you've done well. I really like it because in all conditions it stays lit very easily. It esp. works well PW'ing the dogs out in the cold and wind. Snow doesn't phase it. Lovely tasting shag VA, with no tongue bite, aromatic burn, just a great tobacco straight out of the container. Love it!

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I find DBE a wonderful, classic pipe tobacco. Once I learned to roll a torpedo-like shape between my hands with the shag cut and then feed the tobacco into my pipe, I became a big fan. It has a wonderful flavor and smokes effortlessly, even in difficult outdoor conditions. A real classic. The flavors are warm, slightly spicy, and even a little sweet, with no tongue-bite. Highly recommended for anyone who likes strong, natural tobacco.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried some Dark Birseye rather on a whim. I was making myself a nuisance, as usual, at Perettis when I came across a glass jar full on the counter. I purchased a few ounces and packed a bowl upon arrival at home.

At the match, the flavor is full a little sweet. There are some deep bass notes along with the sweetness. If you are familiar with Kendall Dark, then you will know what those deep notes are like. Those around me tell me there is a faint aroma of burning sweaty socks in there somwhere.

The flavors remain pronounced all the way through the bowl. The effect on the palate is clean and clear. I rather like this stuff. The pipe I smoked it in was an Ashton panelled Old Church that prior smoking Dark Birdseye had been smoking a little bitter. Dark Birdseye cured that problem. The bowl now smells clean and sweet! Go figure.

I see more of this in my future.

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Not for the faint-hearted but not nearly as strong as the G&W twists or plugs. It's so fine and long cut you'll have to pay attention to packing and smoke it really slow. Smoked slowly it can give the same smoky and tasteful feel usually associated to the Lake District dark stoved Virginias and can be the perfect starting point to explore that world.

Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Very similar to Drum RYO in appearance. Very strong in flavor and satisfaction. Would have gone four stars but too rich for frequent use. If you have problems with high levels of nicotene steer clear of this weed.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent African fine cut Va., just as advertised. A very full bodied and smooth smoke, never biting or hot. I find it best smoked in group 4 pipes, owing to the big nicotine hit. If there is a topping, I don't detect it. Good smoke for reformed cigarette smokers, as the fullness and nicotine satisfies. A good all day smoke, if you can tolerate the high nicotine level.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The first time I tried this, a couple of years ago, I didn't like it, it didn't seem that strong and I found the taste boring.

Second time around I have a different impression. This shag cut Lakeland tobacco is kind of the UK's version of Five Brother's dark shag. Except this is much better tasting, spicy and suprisingly soft, not even comparable except in cut and strength.

DB needs to have its strands broken up and packed carefully (not too tight, it's very easy to pack it too tightly). And of course, it has to be at the proper humidity. Then it is rich, creamy, smooth and strong. And builds from there. On the palate, the sensation is similar to FVF, but the strength is greater, the taste less interesting and less sweet perhaps, yet still, to my mind, the taste of a mostly straight VA of the Lakeland variety. There is none of the burning rubber, smokey motor oil type of aftertaste found in the darker ropes. Yet this seems to be almost as strong as xx rope. GLP once did say wonderful things about GH Va's and this in particular, though he called DB a "death rattle". For anything stronger, one could cross over to the cigar world and try a Joya De Nicaragua Antano. Whew.

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

12-27-2004 Another Fine Entry from G&H

Apearance and Aroma: Fine shag cut, very long ribbons. Light browns with an occaisonal "birdseye" from the cut stems. Smells earthy and rich.

Packing and lighting: Can be a little fussy due to the long ribbons, but is at perfect moisture. Lights up easily 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Rich! This is definitely a strong tobacco, but it is not overpowering. Reminds me alot of "Stonehaven", but without the wine notes of that blend. Burns cool from the get go.

Mid-Bowl: the richness mellows somewhat, nice round flavor in the mid to low taste spectrum with an occaisional spiciness popping in and out (maybe the stems burning). There is a light Lakeland style "perfume" flavor noticable.

Bottom of Bowl: A good increase of strength and its over with nothing but fine grey ash left over.

Overall: This is a rich earthy VA/Burley blend that I smoke occaisonally. It does have a high nicotine content, so I generally use group 2-3 size pipes when smoking it. Due to its richness, you can puff gently and get plenty of flavor and keep tongue bite at bay and be left satiated. I would not recommend this to a beginner as this will make you green quick if you are not used to it. I believe that this is the "Longbottom Leaf" blend that the Hobbits and Gandalf smoked and loved. Definitely a "Middle-Earth Blend"

Rating 4 out of 5 points.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I must say that this is another creation from Gawith and Hoggarth that I have found to be a true pleaser. I really have an affinity for their natural tobaccos. As most say, these full bodied blends are for the confirmed pipe smoker but, I believe that they can be enjoyed by all. The flavor is much like Gawith's Kentucky yet embodies a mellow texture that makes this tobacco a full-bodied smoke that I can puff away on all day. The bird's eye cut is much like drum shag from holland, yet the width of the ribbon is about twice that of the forementioned. The smoke does light with ease and stays lit, rarely riquiring a relight. Overall moisture content is what I would view as perfect, in that there is no need for a pre-pack drying phase. Although this tobacco is natural in nature, I do detect a similar vanilla-caramel scent in the nose. The scent dissapates throughout the burning of the bowl, allthough never vanishes. Just as I stated in my review of G and H's Kentucky, I smoke this stuff both straight-up or use it as a base for blending. I love using these tobaccos as a base in blending because their robust flavor is never dimished by the presence of either latakia, perique, or dark cavendish. Give this blend a chance and you'll be swept away to the pipe smoking days of old. A true treat.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Another Gawith for me to try! Well, this blend is fairly close to one of my regular blends from this company, namely, Kendal Dark, (which is the shag version of Dark Flake).

Peppery, spicey, almost with a maduro-like note in the background. A very, very, subtle sweetness that pervades the run of the bowl.

I found the packing to be easy, (but then again, I have quite a bit of experience with this type of cut being a regular Kendal Dark smoker).

It burns to an interesting, almost textured, white-grey ash.

I find this type of smoke to be a stout one. You are always aware of it's presence. Slow puffing is recommended IMHO.

A Really Nice Experince.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Appearance: This is a finely cut tobacco that snarled such that it looks like a bird?s nest. The color is medium to dark brown, with light brown stems intermixed. There appear to be no humidifying agents in this, as it dries out quickly if left out.

My sample was received from a friend was a couple of years old. I resealed it and let it sit for about a year before I smoked it.

Initial light reveals that this is clearly a scented tobacco. The scented nature retreats quickly to the background, although it remains for the entire bowl. The flavor is very full from the beginning, without any hint of high citrus notes. This is the closest that I have ever come to a cigar flavor in a tobacco; note that I have never knowingly smoked a tobacco that actually contains cigar leaf. Update: Having smoked this more, I cannot find the scented note that I originally noticed here. Odd to go from something that seemed so ?clearly scented? to not being able to find it at all. The best that I can suggest is that the range of flavor that I associate with natural tobacco has changed.

The nicotine level in this is high, and it packs a punch even in a fairly small bowl (group 3). I found it to be a slightly rough on the mouth, and would characterize it as an occasional smoke. It is a flavorful and unique smoke that requires some attention. It has a tendency to go a bit ashy on me.

Flavor 90/100. Smoking characteristics 65/100. Overall 80/100.

December 2003, Updated March 2004

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is another of those G&H "dark" tobaccos I keep on hand, next to the big chair, and which I smoke perhaps once or twice a week. This does not have the maduro strength nor the sweet undertone of Dark Flake, but it is on the dark side. It is extraordinarily smooth in the mouth with no bite and with sort of burnt caramel note, but not that sweet. I am trying to approximate the flavor, but it is a bit ephemeral. It is sweet on the tongue with no bite, exceptionally smooth. This tobacco comes to life in the nose where it is spicy, tingly and dark, somewhat on the order of exhaling with a drop of Meyers Dark Rum on the tongue. This tobacco is a an exercise in patience to pack. It is a shag cut and snarled like a wad of hair. I like to dutifully separate the strands (allowing it to air, separating the wads) before packing. This is a unique and great tobacco. It is not an all day smoke because it is quite strong in in every dimension, but once or twice a week, it is a treat. And it packs a nicotine punch. If you have an interest in the Lake District treatment of dark English tobacco, I suggest you might want to start with this one. Most highly recommended. Paddy.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Flavorful, predominantly fire-cured, certainly scented. This seems to be akin to Curly Cut, but in a cigarette shag form, with topping. To my mind, similar to SG 1792, though this gets the nod for tobacco quality and consistency.

The tobacco is very consistent, perhaps a bit dull over the long bowl. You have to watch your smoking rate very carefully due to the nicotine and smoothness, so it isn't an easy experience. To be honest, I wouldn't buy this again, but what I have left will probably be used in RYO cigarettes when going to pipe-hostile places. Because of its strength and flavor, it nicely covers the burning paper stench and sour filter taste of cigarettes.

JohnnyFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyFlake (17)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

(05/24/03) This is a very fine ribbon/shag cut which you actually have to pull apart when filling your pipe. This would be a good pipe tobacco to roll into cigarettes, if you have the know how and materials. It is mostly dark brown to black in color, with some hints of tan and gold. This tobaccy packs very easily, in fact, you must be careful not to over pack it which I have done more than once. This is said to be a pure Virginia with no topping and I must agree. No topping is present but nor is there any of the natural hints of sweetness usually associated with Virginias. This lights and burns very easily. It can get hot and bite quickly, if your not careful. This tobaccy offers a whole lot of cool smoke, if you go slowly. The flavor profile unusual and unique. It is very deep, rich, delicious and pure Virginia. It is on the high octaine end of the nicotine spectrum and will kick your ass in a heartbeat if your not careful. Experianced smokers should love it! Beginers should go slow! Do not smoke this on an empty stomach. I've been buzzed by this tobaccy more than once but it do taste Sooooo Goooood!!!

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

Whoa Nelly! Talk about your nicotine blast, this weed has a wallop that's right up there with all the other heavy hitters (Royal Yacht, Nightcap etc). At the tin, I am reminded of the rich, raisiny-cocoa spiciness I like in the matured Virginia vein (like Yacht or St. Bruno) but at the match, aroma seems to lose out to the powerful heap of smoke that tickles your nose and coats your throat and tongue with dense syrupy saliva--awesome! Thanks to the reviewers, I loaded a very small (317) Peterson System for this stuff, and I'll be sticking with it for the duration. A little goes a long way here. This tobacco is super stringy and needed to be torn up to get a good load. Great for a morning fix if yr in a hurry, but also worth luxuriating over. Not for complexity-snobs, aromatic smokers, or beginners. Those who like a wallop in their daily diet, coupled with the soul-satisfying smoke of good strong Virginia, check it out.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium Strong

Dark Birdseye is a very spicy tobacco but not in the oriental sense. The spice-like sensation is probably derived from the high nicotine content. This smoke is very easy to light and keep lit due to the fine "angel-hair-like" cut. I love the hint of soap and strength of this tobacco. It is similar to G&H's Sliced Brown Twist but is earthier and without the sweetness.

Very Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I recently smoked a bowl of this powerful, yet delicious tobacco at a pipe club Christmas dinner. Not only was the company outstanding, so was this delightful, shag cut tobacco.

If I had smoked this at home, I would have given the leaf a whirl in my blender because the shaggy strands were too long for an easy pack job. The strength will make the veteran puffer giddy with excitement. The neophyte on the other hand, may swoon, drool and topple over.

Rich, smooth, creamy and mounds of smoke. Cool too. What more could a pipe man (or woman) ask for? On second thought, I don't think the women will want to try Dark Birdseye because this blend will put hair on your chest!

Tigerdad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tigerdad (3)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Strong stuff and easy to pack if you remember not to press down too hard at first. Some smokers cut up the shag but I don't

The taste is creamy and rich with virginia sweetness. Sometimes I pick up some British "soapiness" but the tobacco is not topped.

I smoke this in small bowls, slowly, and after dinner to perk up.

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Fine cut? I used to roll cigarettes and smoke Drum tobacco - this reminded me of that, even had the little round seed pods. I was initially put off by the cut and the reminders of my cigarette days, but I pushed onward. I don't like packing a bowl with this fine a cut as I always overpack the first time. I took the whole bag and trimmed it smaller with a scissors - now it is more managable.

OK, John (at Sigmund's Fine Cigars), I thank you for suggesting that I try this as a replacement to the Dark Flake I wanted. Although I was bound and determined to be put off by the cut and really dislike this tobacco, try as I might, once lit, I couldn't do it.

Strong? Yes! Overpowering? Not at all. This is an incredibly rich and full flavored tobacco. I love the room note, although others did not.

I don't know what it is about G&H tobaccos, but they do a wonderful job as this winner also proves.

Again, a blend which I wish I could afford to smoke more of.

3.5 of 5 halos.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is not like any I've seen. It is ribbon cut, which makes it easy to pack, and subsequently easy to overpack, care should be taken. The tobacco is mostly brown in color with specks of gold. The tobacco is very easy to light, and maintain. The taste is of Va's, with no apparent casings present, it burns cool and smooth, with no bite, unless one puffs incessantly. Overall, I would give this tobacco a 10, because of the uniqueness, and the flavor. The only down side to this tobacco is that it would be easy to go through alot of it because of the fine texture.