Virginia tobaccos matured under high pressure with discreet flavor of aromatic fruits. Burns down coolly and emphasizes the natural sweetness of the flakes.

BrandHolger Danske
Blended ByPlanta
Strength
Taste

3.1
Medium Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

Royal Navy Flake . The unlit Flakes give a wonderful "Hay Like" Virginia aroma . They are of an excellent thickness and have a great moisture content , making them absolutely splendid for preparation as no extra airing time is required . When it comes to lighting it up the moisture level makes it perfect , taking to the flame brilliantly on the first try ! The smoke from this is simply amazing , it has a great Nicotine level (about the same as Orlik Golden Sliced) and can be inhaled about as easily as a Cigarette can be . I get a very delicate Plum/berry taste in the background but if you just relax and don't overly concentrate its a simple and sublime full Virginia flavor . The actual thickness of the smoke is very reminiscent of "Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake , as is the taste . With "Tongue Bite" I don't get any from the very cool smoke and the burn is incredibly even for the whole bowl . Its a brand I had not tried as its not overly popular but I will get it again and hope more people try it ....brilliant !

Pipe Used: Davorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: Smoke King

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend isn't quite the "Navy Flake" I had in mind. Many of the reviewers have noted a "tangy" taste. But, I more readily identify with the "lemony" descriptive above. Not at all sweet, nor mellow, this flake rattles the tongue and will make you pucker.

I think our briar bretheren who don't have a sweet tooth and require some strength in their smoke will enjoy this Royal Navy Flake. And, for what it's worth, I found the tin art to be kind of neat.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin after my tobacconist gave me a few flakes to try. I blew through the 6 he gave me and immediately bought one. The tin note is beautiful. Dried fruit, fresh hay. As noted by another reviewer, the presentation is great. Neat little can with two perfectly cut stacks of nicely pressed flakes that fit into the can without a hair of space. This flake works best for me folded then rubbed into the palm of my hand. This method produces fine ribbons and grains that when gravity fed into a bowl lights easily and stays lit. The smoke is smooth, with a nice minute hint of sweetness. The ash is fine and grey/white. I found this flake to be smokable immediately without pre-seasoning. Another flake to keep on hand.

Pipe Used: Peterson's and others

Age When Smoked: 2 years sealed

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (22)

Edit: I'm putting this up to four stars. It's consistently enjoyable every time I smoke it.

For a long time I have wanted to try a straight VA and I was about to buy Gawith's Full Virginia Flake when my Tobacconist made the Suggestion of this. He said there was less of a bitter tangy taste and that there were only two left (In my area of Japan). So I bought it for a dollar more than the Gawith. Good salesman haha.

Opening the tin is a beautiful display of Flake that is at just the right moisture level for me. I didn't detect any casing and it broke up rather nicely. I had about a three hour drive home ahead of me and packed a bowl for the road.

From the get go the flavor was wonderful. Not too overpowering, but consistently engaging. It burned very cool, as I've heard that VAs don't usually, and had a nice even smoke. The middle portion of the bowl was exceptionally delicious and by the end it had burned into a nice even ash. I loved it so much I packed another bowl in my MM.

This probably won't do much for the Latakia lovers or the heavy tobacco flavor feinds, but for a person looking to get into VAs or even outside of Aromatics, this is a great starter. To me it's like the older more refined brother of Orlik Golden Sliced.

Give it a try.

Pipe Used: Alexander Briar Poker, MM Great Dane Egg

Purchased From: Kawarada Tobacco

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced (But better).

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is as lovely and honest a flake as you're going to find. On an aesthetic and technical level, this is a solid 4-star flake, second to none. It also has a flavor to match. Thus RNF belongs in the same elite company as FVF, Erinmore and a handful of others. And to my taste buds, this is the best of them all (that I've tried so far, that is).

The presentation of this flake is unparalleled. Opening the tasteful little tin and removing the descriptive paper insert (of quaintly questionable grammar) reveals a tobacco leaf sticker securing folds of golden foil embracing mottled brown slabs of compressed leaf. The aroma is subtle but distinctive, a dew-dappled meadow strewn with sour plums. Picking up one of those slabs reveals just how delicate they are as they separate into interlaced strips, like the tenderest corned beef (as I recall from my meat eating days of yore).

On a technical level, the moisture level is perfect, absolutely perfect. Once you put flame to the flake, it burns perfectly too: it lights easily; it stays lit without a problem; and it burns to a talcum-fine, platinum-gray ash with no dottle.

But though a well done presentation prepares your taste buds for the gustatory treat that follows, the proof is in the putting of the smoke into your mouth. It does not disappoint. It's a delightfully clean, pure tobacco flavor. This is not a buttery, sweet virginia. Instead it has a very dry, smooth, subtle tang that gently tickles the tastebuds with delicate hints of citrus, umeboshi, and hay. It may come across a bit mild, as some reviewers have noted, but it still has a richness and fullness within that mildness (like, say, quality minimalist music). This is a flake for those who prefer their sherry medium dry.

I find the reviews below accurate, all of them. It simply comes down to a matter of preference. That's why I think that any virginia flake lover looking for a good, pure, honest smoke owes it to themself to give this one a go, just on the chance that Holger Danske's RNF may be The One they're looking for -- one they may have otherwise missed because this sublime little flake flies under the radar.

(And I have no clue why it's called a Navy flake. I thought 'Navy' suggested rum or something. I've come to the conclusion that, as far as tobacco is concerned, it means nothing.)

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this one to dip my toes into the realm of navy flakes, there seems to be a few out there with some modifier of this soubriquet and picked this out at random. Certainly, upon receipt of the tin within a larger internet order, I was immediately impressed. Such a cute little thing too, with it's shiny gold and child like compactness. Even after popping the cork on it, as it were, it gave me a certain warmth to see the blanket like gold foil and the leaf shaped sticker. After this veritable introduction that almost seemed like the first moves of a game of pass the parcel, I half expected to see frankincense and myrrh at the bottom, even the Baby Jesus wouldn't have been a total surprise. Okay, so none of that would have fitted, but I think I got the next best thing.

I have to say, initially, I struggled to place the smell, it almost had wafts of a sickly bolognese scent. Only after much inhalation did I discern it properly, good tangs of pineapple with hints of mango. I was also impressed by the neatness (not something that normally charms me) of the flakes as they lay oh so correctly in the tin. It seemed almost wrong to disturb them from their slumber. Nevertheless, faint heart ne'er won fair maiden and, feeling much like the prince that woke sleeping beauty, promptly rubbing some of it after gently waking it, I endeavoured to pack it into my pipe, never too easy with a flake, even if the lighting was a stroll through a very picturesque park. And ooh la la, that sweet, light taste with hints of lemon, just so relaxing and chilling. The room note slips into obscurity, but only a very minor downside, barely worthy of mention.

Sorry if I've made this sound like a fairy tale worthy of a Disney movie, but it seems like this tobacco has it all. So well packaged, so fantastically smelling, so delicately, so sweetly tasting. Perfectly cast as the four star leading lady if you ask me.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I could only get a little taste out of this by using very small pipes and concentrating very hard, which for me, is not what pipe smoking is about.

Presentation and quality are fine, burns to a nice whte ash, no bite or taste for that matter.

Glad I was able to try it, but I won't be buying more.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

I simply loved this, nice dry flakes, almost like a cake tobacco, very lemony with a solid sweetness and VA grassiness...a very pleasant surprise for me, a lovely summer VA flake...top stuff. It's not a typical Navy Blend, just more of a straight VA flake. This is very well priced here in the EU. Will buy again for sure.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)

The tin says "Elegant", and I have to agree. This is a bright and lively pure virginia flake. Despite what one may have heard, or even read, there is nothing that even resembles a casing on these flakes. The aroma in the tin is sweet and slightly fermented natural virginia, not any so called "rum puch" concoction. The presentation upon first opening the tin is second to none, absolutely magnificent. This is one of my favorite summer (virginia) smokes. The taste does lean more towards the tangy end of the virginia spectrum, but not overly so, meaning there is still a good amount of virginia sweetness here. The smoke is silky smooth and dry. I personally have never been bitten by this, though I get the impression that it could nip the tongue if not respected. I feel that this is an often overlooked and underated virginia flake, and I recommend it whole heartedly.

Maccas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maccas (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

My first foray into navy flakes,the tin and tobacco presentation is really lovely especially in this age of austerity. On opening greeted with a gold leaf surprise - a nice touch. The raw tinned flakes smell good with definite quality virginia, discreet aroma - hard to place but definately not un-pleasant. The flakes rubbed down well (youtube guidance),lit and burned well, I am breaking in a new Parker pipe and decided to give this pipe over to this full tin - smoking slowly over time. The room note is ok but "she who must be obeyed" said it is not as nice as the aromatics I have been smoking. I would like the Parker to be fully broken in for a good deep bowl full but so far so good. I would smoke this again. This could be my everyday smoke.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I tend to stay away from mild tobaccos as I find myself inhaling the smoke way way too much trying to get at that nicoteen hit for which the cavity of the mouth won't do on light smokes. However, this light flake is the exception. Although mild in strength it is exceedingly pleasant on my taste buds negating the necessity to draw the smoke any further into my body. RNF is similar to Virginia No.1 and thankfully it does not bite me as in the MacBaren offering. All-in-all, a delightful blend with great taste, burn and workability. I will purchase this blend again without hesitation.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Strong

Nice looking flakes, on the gold/light brown side.

Not very tasty and the room note was horrible -sour, acrid, yucky.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Nice tin presentation. Virginia flake with fruit casing. Hay and citrus taste, a traditional Danish flake ideal for an all day smoke or for a beginner with Virginia flake tobacco. The tobacco taste is somewhat inconsistent.

Update: After the tobacco has dried for some time, the casing is lighter, the flavor got much better and the taste is now more consistent. It is a bit harsh on the throat if puffed fast.

These lemon Virginias are sweet and subtle, citric and hayey. I love the small tin and the nice bright flakes, they come with the perfect moisture level to pack in the pipe with no need of airing out. The taste is milder than most navy flakes, due mostly to the lack of burley and flavoring. A pure Virginia blend, highly recommended.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)

I bought this looking for MB Navy Flake, and figured it might be worth a try. Well, it's not a bad tobacco, well made flake, and quality leaf, but if I had to equate taste it falls short IMO. Definately a strong VA presence, and can be a little bitey if not careful. It has a straw/hay like quality to it with a hint of lemmon on the after taste. I light it up when I have a hankering for a change of pace, and close it back up as quickly when I'm done. To each their own, thou shall not criticize another's blend.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This a virginia tobacco with a palatable scent (pre smoking that is) in light brown coloured flakes.

Regrettably there is a an intense sourness emitted during smoking which blocks the tobacco's sweetness and makes things less pleasant than expected from a virginia flake. As noted by others the blend also suffers from too much of a dried grass taste (a common issue with virginias).

In sum, no dread but also nothing to look forward.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Man!

As much as this was most probably the most beautiful flake I've seen, the smoking was disappointing - too much hay tasting- and the room aroma was strangely strong, bitter, sour and, I must say, it stank.

Despite my most valuable efforts, I could not finish my pipeful...

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Nice smell in the tin; a little fruity and light. Well, that's how I would explain the smoke. I think novices to smoking virginias would get a great start with this tobacco since the flavor is certainly not overpowering and it takes alot to get it to bite. For me, it was a little too mild. However, it is nice to smoke without thinking too much, e.g., outside in the yard. I won't be buying more tins but the quality is good.

aj

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good example of a VA flake as many I have tried recently. Smells sweetish in the tin (Excellent presentation by the way, I like the shiny gold paper and the leaf shaped sticker), medium dark flakes, cut quite thick.

Rubs out easily, moisture content is ideal. I rub this one out quite well, it helps it to stay lit, and it still burns cool as it is sliced so thickly. Outdoors on a windy day though, just roll a slice up and shove it in the pipe. Lights with ease provided you put some of the well rubbed "crumbs" on top.

Breath smoking provides a toasty, slightly tangy virginia sweetness, very pleasant. It does not overheat easily, and wont bite unless highly aggravated. Take it easy, sit back and relax, its a gentle walk compared to the thunderous cavalry charge of some of the famous Latakia blends.

Overall very pleasant, I'm sure it will mature well. But none of the raisiny sweetness I love in some VA blends- Light Flake used to have this, I've been searching for something as good since the quality declined recently. But this is a fine, natural tobacco and I look forward to smoking it again.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

This is a very nice tobacco. The flavoring is very mild and just slightly noticeable. It's not something I'm going to keep around or buy again but that's not because it wasn't good. It just didn't have enough character of its own to stand out as a keeper for me. But it is worth trying if you like navy flakes. It has a nice sweet Virginia flavor. I could see this one becoming someone's favorite tobacco. Just not mine.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I received a tin of this for Christmas. I had never tried flake Virginia before. It is beautiful in the tin. It smells as though it has some brown sugar in it, but it is probably just the smell of the tobacco. I had no trouble rubbing it out, and it packed beautifully. When I lit it, I was surprised by the taste. It is a grassy and tangy flavor, not at all like it smelled. It smoked very cool and dry despite its apparent moisture level. It had a pleasant, natural aroma. This is a well crafted product, and a nice change of pace from the Burley I usually smoke. Highly recommended.

This flake is definitely under rated. It is mild, so if your tastes don't lean that way, don't smoke it.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Capstan Mild?.Orlick?s Golden Sliced?.Fribourg & Treyer?s Golden Mixture?.Mac Baren?s Virginia Flake?.give or take a bit of Burley, a bit of topping, they are all of a similar weight and profile. Good enough, but not entirely justifiable. Unrubbed, it will smoke cooler: just about the only reason to put this kind of thing in flake form; complex, it isn?t. Pleasant, refreshing, lemony? Yes. Too lightweight and inconsequential for me. Even in Summer. (When one can glory in Reiner?s heavenly Long Golden Flake!) Nice packaging.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A very nice flake,comprised of Virginia tobaccos with a very light sweetner.When I first opened the tin the smell of the leaf was heavenly.The moistness level was on the higher side of just right. The first few bowls right out of the tin were mostly fair in tatse,but after I let the tin dry out for twenty four hours the flavour went full stroke,and I was very pleased. The flakes remind me of Orlick Golden Sliced,but in colour like dark chocolate. A very pleasing and enjoyable smoke.Tounge bite will occur if you go hard on it.Enjoy this fine and luxury flake.

TnT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnT (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tangy is indeed the word that best describes this blend and is infact one of the reasons that it's one of my regulars. It offers tang without bite and since most of my favorite tobaccos are naturally sweet virginias, this blend makes for a nice change.

The tin contains two nicely cut stacks of high quality flakes that are at just the right moisture level. It burns clean and dry and although too tangy to be an all-day smoke of mine, it is one that I smoke a pipefull of almost every day.

If you love virginia flakes and want to try something different, give this blend a try.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

A nicely packaged navy flake; small rectanglur tin with the tobacco all layed nice & neat. ...Handy little tins.

Tin aroma: Pure tobacco. That's as good as one wants!

Room aroma: No negative comments from anyone.

Taste: First 1/2 or better; one receives a spicey tang; almost peppery. Can be strong to a novice. A good pure Virginia tobacco.

Last 1/4: Spicey tang subsides; ....but alas, I'll load again and start all over.

A Keeper!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

These perfectly prepared slices ~ 2.5 x 1.5 x 1/16" thick are an example of outstanding workmanship and comprised of mostly darker VAs with some golden intermixed. I don't sense any 'navy' topping in the tin aroma or taste, just good quality tobaccos. Easy to pack, lite and keep lit, it smokes without bite @ a reasonable pace. The taste is uniform in different pipes and also within the same smoke. It's a bit too tangy and lacking sweetness for my all-day use, but is still a good change of pace on occasion. Although I prefer and find MacBaren's Navy Flake, even though Burley based, more complex and interesting, this blend also results in an enjoyable smoke.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Royal Navy Flake is a beautifully cut and packaged mottled Virginia flake lightly topped with what seems to be some sort of rum punch. RVF gave me no problems with heat or tongue bite, but over time I did have problems with the rather shrill tanginess that is the primary taste experience here.

RVF doesn't really develop, and it smokes pretty much the same in different pipes, so if you don't like Tang with your Virginias, you won't like this.

I like this as a summer smoke, and as it is reasonably forgiving it may be good for those new to Virginia flakes.

On the whole, an interesting tobacco, but one I doubt I'll buy for the cellar.

smokestack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokestack (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Let me say up-front that I am a Virginia smoker. The label on the tin says "elegant pipe tobacco" and I would have to agree with the maker. The moisture level is such that the flake is very easy to rub out without completely disintegrating. Packed in two or three lifts, with moderate pressure, this tobacco is a one or two match smoke.

It smells like unadulterated tobacco in the tin and that impression continues in the taste. Oh man,this is what I came out for!

A word of caution: if you really Hoover it, Royal Navy Flake will bite. The solution is simple - slow down and enjoy your pipe.