A predominantly Burley mixture with a touch of red Virginia and Perique.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Taste

2.5
Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

I initially wanted to try this blend because of the name, and have since become a fan of both Cristopher Morley (the author of the book for which the blend is named), and Bob Runowski (the originator of the blend.) Normally, I prefer Virginias, and Latakia blends, but this Burley impressed me greatly.

Appearance: Predominantly medium reddish color, with a fair amount of lighter leaf, and a small percentage of darker tobacco. The cut is random, with some cube-cut apparent. A bit drier than most blends, but perfect for my taste in that area. I usually have to let most tobaccos dry out a bit before I can enjoy them.

Aroma: Mostly a clean, nutlike and slightly sweet aroma, with a trace of ?mustiness?. This is probably the perique?s characteristic aroma

Packing: Packs easily by just dropping it into the bowl a pinch at a time. No special care seemed to be necessary. Packs easily in different size pipes.

Lighting: Lights easily, sometimes one match does it. A little tamp in mid match, and it?s ready

Initial flavor: I taste the Burley mostly in this blend at the beginning, (which means more body than flavor), pleasant and natural. Stays lit well even at a slow burn rate.

Mid-bowl: Flavor develops nicely, with a cigar characteristic. NO, not a big Cuban or Dominican, more like a small dry cigar in the Dutch or German style.

Finish: Finishes pretty much like the middle, without a gurgle. Leaves a clean, gray ash.

Tried in the following pipes: I tried this first in an old pair of Rhodesians: a Parker Goldenbark, and a Savinelli Punto Oro. Next, I tried it a pair of Peterson Barrels, and a fresh corn cob. (I know, should have tried it in the cob first). Also smoked in a Sasieni billiard

Summary: This is Prince Albert with an attitude, and without the casing. If you like a natural Burley base with just a little condiment, this should be excellent.

Particularly liked: The cut, the burning qualities, the honest flavor. An excellent all-day smoke that will even work in the evening.

Particularly disliked: Nothing. I would like a little more red virginia (I always do), and a dash more perique.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

The wife and friends hate the smell of it. I like the taste. You'd better like earthy, unflavored bold burley or you won't like this even a little bit. The red Virginia adds a very light sweetness, but it's hardly a major player in this blend. The perique is strong and plentiful and adds a strong nic hit along with a very good pepper taste, so don't smoke it on an empty stomach. For myself, this is as strong as I want, which means I'll avoid the Old Joe Krantz offering. But this one, though I wouldn't smoke every day, hits the taste spot when I want a strong burley with kick. Puff slowly or risk the cigarette-like, ashy taste other reviewers noted.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Another favorite from C & D and Bob Runowski. This is a codger burley with an attitude. Not so powerful as Old Joe Krantz (which I also love), but but with enough juju to kick your butt if you're not careful. And that's being said by an ex-cigarette smoker. It's a great tobacco to just sit and enjoy without trying to figure anything out about it. Simply sit down, light your pipe, and relax. It is what it is... and I think it's superb.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Prince Albert fans will probably love this. Burleyphiles probably will as well. The rest of us... um... perhaps, perhaps not.

The high quality leaf gives this an extra star from me, but frankly I find little going on here. Very cigarette-like in flavor, the burley overwhelms to the point where the virginia and perique are barely noticeable. The taste doesn't change its shape as the smoke progresses unless it's to become harsher. It's a lot like smoking hot air (which might be what reviewer Old Puffer meant when he said strong but dull, or words to that effect).

The blend is not cantankerous in the least, and smokes fairly easily down the bowl with no tongue bite. I guess as predominantly a virginia and VaPer smoker, I'm just used to a lot more complexity. There is something to be said about a tobacco that doesn't demand much of a smokers taste buds, however - something comforting, perhaps. It's just that when one averages only about 10 bowls per week, perhaps something with a little more personality is required. At least for me. With tobaccos, as with most things in life, your mileage may vary. I'm going to add a dash of blending perique to this and see if I can spice it up a bit.

UPDATE 1/21/10

As I become more enamored of burley and try different blends, this one needs to be elevated from 2 to 3 stars. This is a great take on the American OTC blends and is something I'll return to occasionally. The complexity I mentioned above... well, I'm not sure complexity is the point here. I think this is just a nice, tasty, interesting bowl of tobacco that one could smoke all day if one were so inclined - and I think that was true of most of the old OTC burleys. Good stuff!

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)

Tin note: bread dough on a bale of alfalfa hay. Great quality old time tobacco in the rough. I recommend preening this stuff before you pack your pipe. Charring light is best done slowly (it is chunky). Behaves nicely after the relight. Sweeter and milder than Old Joe Krantz (a daily smoke for me). I'm used to a lot of Perique, so there's just enough to keep me interested but some folks will be timid here. This would be a great blend for someone who wants to walk down the perique pathway; you'll be hooked and moving on to the hot sauce. This blend builds a surprisingly heavy cap of very fine ash, so break though instead of relighting and you'll get a cooler, sweeter smoke to the bottom of the bowl. I agree that Haunted is a bit milder than OJK; instead of bricks on the chest you get a hickup and a buzz. A very respectable medium strength/medium bowl blend. Leaves the pipe clean and dry. Another great American tobacco from C&D!

Pipe Used: MM PATRIOT COB

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I see that the overwhelming majority of reviewers here enjoy Haunted Bookshop, and I can certainly understand why. With focus on enhancing "pedestrian" Burley leaf, I think C&D has found a niche. Pennington Gap and Old Joe Kranz were winners in my book and Haunted Bookshop works for me too.

Haunted Bookshop's robust Burley taste has been elevated by a smidgen of Perique and a delicate touch of Virginia. This one is more sweet than bitter and more heavy than light. Although not at the level I enjoy most, the nicotine content is recognized with no problem either. As is the case with most Burley blends, Haunted Bookshop is an extremely cool burning smoke with no bite to it.

I finished my tin in a week and will seek more in the future.

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (15)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A very American blend with a very English name. Well, "haunted bookshop" sounds very English to me, anyway. Here in America, people don't really read. It'd be like "haunted Walmart" or something.

I struggled with this blend. When I first tried it years ago, I thought it was too strong, so thought "Well, I don't really like strong tobaccos." I mean strong, robust, LOUD, as in flavor.

This has turned out not to be true. I love many very robust pipe tobaccos. Byzantium, also by C & D, is one of my faves.

Then I thought it has too much vitamin N for me, which also has turned out not to be true. I enjoy many blends these days that have a bigger kick.

I thought maybe I didn't like burleys: not true. I thought maybe I didn't like burley and perique together: not true.

In other words, I was trying to blame my lack of enjoyment of this tobacco on myself, on my tastes, but what it boils down to is that I don't like Haunted Bookshop because it is poorly done. Musty, stout, heady, spicy, dark, full--and very unbalanced.

You would think this blend would work and be delightful, but it just doesn't. Of course, as with everything on Tobacco Reviews YMMV.

It's a blend that tries to be 'rustic' and thinks 'rustic' means lacking any and all subtlety or nuance, and being completely off balance.

The same thinking that creates these modern craft beers with stupid, ridiculous levels of hoppiness also created Haunted Bookshop.

Cool name, though.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is another Burley Mixture from Cornell and Diehl. For me, I note only the Burley and the Perique, but not the Virginia. Is somewhat good, decent, I like, but is clearly inferior to other Burley based tobaccos as: Butternut Burley and Old Joe Krantz. 2 Stars.

Pipe Used: some, Brazilian made pipes

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: TabacosBR,Brazil

Similar Blends: Prince Albert - Prince Albert, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Mixture No.79, Cornell & Diehl - 126: Old Joe Krantz, pipesandcigars.com - Scotty's Butternut Burley.

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)

This mixture is not my cup of tea, it was too harsh for my taste. I think it taste somewhat cigar´ish but not in a good way, more like a 1$ cigar from the gas station. But in other hand I also found that the taste was a little nutty in the background, which I liked. But that did not weigh up to the taste of cheap cigar

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

it is Burley--that's what the blender meant to showcase--the other tobaccos play a seasoning role-- the Perique is noticeable a bit into the bowl --not quite as much Perique as OJK--

it packs well, lights easily, and i rarely have to relight until down to the dregs in the bowl--

i can't decide if Haunted Book Shop or OJK is my favorite, so i have stocked up on both

BaconandTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaconandTobacco (15)

This is one of my favorite blends of all time. This virginia burley mix has the perfect amount of perique giving it the perfect strength. Everyone should give this a try if you like perique.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I would have to say this might have been my first introduction to VaPer burley type blends.

The tin note is identical to a box of raisin bran. The nuttiness of the "flakes" comes from the rich brown burley, and the "raisins" from the sweet Va. The perique adds a distinct mustiness to the bookshop. Packing and lighting is as easy as it gets. Easy on the tongue, never wants to bite.

Volumes of tart, white smoke envelope you in your favorite smoking chair.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)

Haunted Bookshop is a mixture of ribbon and cube cuts, burley is the main player on this one, the burley has an earthy taste which is very common in most of the burley from C & D, the perique plays a second part maintaining a good balance along with the burley, the virginia weave in and out providing a necessary sweetness to this blend, in my my most humble opinion I would not be surprised is there's a little of unflavored cavendish on this mixture. It packs easy and lights the same. HB flavor profile reminds me of Haddo's delight they are both geared toward the burley smoker but the difference for me is that Haddo is a harsher smoke due to the excessive amount of perique use where HB the perique is use with more restraint and does not have any noticeable topping added.

Would I buy this again? maybe... the tin that I'm smoking is close to the 4 year mark, I think that this blend needs a couple of years in the cellar to let the virginias aged and bring that necessary sweetnes to this blend.

T. Collin Francis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Collin Francis (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

Wide ribbon cut, about the same moisture level as Carter Hall. The tin note was of nutty burley with a slight hint of the Perique. Packs well and burns very well, smoked cool and dry.

As a big fan of Burley London Blend, I bought Haunted Bookshop hoping it might have a little more depth to it, but it really doesn't, not in my opinion. The two dominant flavors are of course the Burley and the Perique, the first few moments as a matter of fact are pure Perique. But it settles down in just a few minutes to be a nice smoke. Every now and then you get a nice whisp of the pepper and spice from the Perique and the sweetness of the Virginias.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Haunted Bookshop has been referred to as Old Joe Krantz Lite. Both tobaccos were blended by Bob Runowski, who knows his Burley. The constituents are similar, but the nicotine dose of HB is considerably lower than that of OJK. However, to belittle this blend as a "Lite" version of anything else is to really sell it short. I think it may be a blend that you either like or don't, but I also think that any burley lover should really appreciate Haunted Bookshop. The tin opens to a mix of brown and tan ribbons, with some of the cut being pretty big ribbons, consisting ofBurley, Virginia, and Perique. Keeping with the comparison to OJK, the cut is finer. The aroma from the tin is sort of earthy, and pure tobacco goodness. For my tastes the moisture level in the tin is just about perfect; on the slightly dry side but with enough moisture that I still let it air a bit to dry. Sometimes, while it dries, I like to just smell the tin. It packs well into a pipe, but I suggest packing it more lightly than most other blends as it seems to condense easily, tightening the draw if not. Upon lighting it is the burley that drives the blend, but at times I notice wafts of flavor that remind me of the taste of a good cigar. Obviously the burley, but what a great taste! The Virginia adds a top note and sweetness to the blend while the perique adds spice and depth. HB stays lit nicely through a smoke. Good clouds of heavy smoke are produced, but if smoked slowly, with lighter puffs and clouds, there are rewards from all three constituents not found if puffed heavily - the burley is a flavorful one with more nuance than many, the Virginias provide a nice high end with wisps of fine sweetness, and the Perique's fig-like nature provides a flavor delight on the bottom. Regardless of how it is smoked, though, HB has a rich, full earthy flavor. It reminds me of walking through Durham, NC, in the 1960s. Early in the smoke I notice the "hot" flavoring of the Perique, but this dissipates further into the bowl, then makes a fairly dramatic return in the last quarter or so of the smoke. The pipe and the smoke stream stay cool and dry to the very end. Unfortunately, my wife isn't fond of the room note, and this is a problem. Because I smoke a lot of this stuff! (Thank goodness for Lampe Berger!) And I can smoke pipe after pipe without tongue bite. Haunted Bookshop has risen to the top of my favorites list, where it has stayed now for at least a couple of years. There is more of it in my cellar than there is of any other blend. I can smoke it in the morning to relax on my long drive to work, in the evening after a good meal, and all day while watching football or walking the dogs. Like other blends from C&D, it needs to be aged before it is opened, but once aged it is Nirvana.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

The flavor jumps around pretty nicely.

I don't taste the burley so "up front" throughout the bowl as most reviews have noted.

I taste the Va within all the time and it is the dominant weed in the first third. Burley does come through more there after and is the main character with perigue giving that pepper and fruit flavor in-and-out like a non-perique dominated smoke should, this blend progresses very nicely.

Nice tobacco and a blend I can see smoldering in some pipes all day.

I have smoked "fresh" and currently a tin I opened with 3 1/2 years age. I feel the aged tin has a more Va feel, but don't think this is one you must age to be satisfied. "beeftip" sums it up quite nicely.

beeftip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beeftip (10)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

I get a kick out of reviews for burley blends that state the tobacco tastes like cigarettes. Cigarettes have burley as the main component. That's why burley tastes like cigarettes. Unless you sauce the hell out of burley, you're going to get cigarette "flavor" at some point. Even Aged Burley Flake, which is so highly revered by so many tastes like cigarettes.

It should be no surprise to anyone who knows anything about tobacco that Haunted Bookshop tastes at times like a cigarette. But it's a damn fine cigarette! If I could have bought cigarettes that tasted this good, I probably would still be smoking them.

The perique and virginia tobaccos lend themselves well to the overall balance in the fine blend. The perique goes from peppery to fruity and back again throughout the bowl. The virginia adds a nice but subtle sweetness that remains constant.

At times the burley tastes a little like chocolate, at others it's kind of nutty. It's subtle and if all you think about while smoking this is that it tastes like cigarettes, you'll miss it.

The first light is harsh. It takes a couple of minutes for it to settle down. It's not pleasant, but it is tolerable. Don't freak out.

It burns nice and clean. Easy to keep lit. It's a great burley.

Don't smoke it if you don't understand burley tobacco. This is a great blend and deserves to be reviewed by those who can appreciate burley for ALL of its flavors and nuances.

Tony Florida Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony Florida (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After seeing this name around ASP for a couple of years now, I decided it was time. Actually, it was the latest issue of P&T that prompted it. In it were several mini-reviews of new C&D blends, and since it was time for an order....

I was looking over the vast array of C&D offerings. I needed to come up with five for a sampler pack. "Hey," I thought, "why not try a bit of 'Bookshop'?"

There's not much description on the site or the brochure that Craig sends out with orders, just "A predominantly mixture of Burleys with a touch of red Virginia and Perique." Well, that's factual enough.....sort of like saying that the Grand Canyon is a fairly large hole in the ground!

The pouch aroma of this blend that reminds me of my Uncle Jerry, the only pipe smoker in our family. He was a dedicated smoker of Revelation, and I guess the Burley base of this blend gives me that sensation. BTW, a little research uncovers an interesting similarity of ingredients, e.g., Kentucky Burley, Va bright and Perique are apparently common to both. There is something spicier about the Haunted Bookshop, though, which is intriguing.

Craig notes on his website that most C&D blends may seem drier than the customer is used to, but to me this pouch is not 'dry' at all. The tobacco packs very easily, and the first bowl is under way.

The initial light is even and complete. After tamping and cooling, I re-light, and the tobacco springs to life evenly across the bowl. My first impression is that this is a very mild blend. Several quick puffs bring a good volume of smoke into the mouth, and I detect the first sensation of sweetness. I like this flavor; there is a bit of nutty quality as well.

In the first half-bowl, the flavor increases and broadens considerably. I detect more of the spicy quality that was hinted at in the charring light. I'm sure this is the Perique doing what Perique does so well. While it's a real presence in the total mix, it's not at all overpowering. I can definitely taste the fruity/spicy highlights against a separate underpinning of the nuttiness.

As the bowl burns down, I am impressed with how evenly the tobacco burns. About mid-way, the spice seems to give way to the nutty quality. That happens to be a personal favorite of mine, so I'm a happy camper at this point.

The last of the bowl is fuller-flavored, but still mild. In fact, after letting the pipe sit for some time and re-lighting, the fullness of the blend is more prominent, but still pleasant. At the finish, the bowl has become a smooth, gray ash, and nary a gurgle anywhere. I am delighted!

(The pipe, btw, was a Jirsa Rhodesian, well-broken in, and a really decent, inexpensive little smoker.)

I've taken to smoking my pipes more on a full-time basis recently, and I have been on a search for tobaccos that are milder -- for all-day capability -- but still flavorful. Haunted Bookshop really answers that description precisely, and it will definite be a regular blend for me. Tony Florida

LZ639 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LZ639 (7)

Mostly burley, some perique and not enough Virginia to bite. Good all day smoke for the experienced pipe smoker. Novice pipers may not care for it due to its nicotine content. No bite.

Pipe Used: Stevenson hand made

Age When Smoked: 53

Purchased From: Just For Him

Similar Blends: Old Joe Krantz.

This is an ok mixture -- somewhat bland burleys, and I really don't get the VA or Perique, although without them in deep background this would probably be a ** blend. If I smoked even more than I do and was looking for a mild change of pace, this would be a slightly more interesting alternative to PA or Kentucky Club

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: 3 years, 11 months

Purchased From: gift

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Smells like dirty feet and is very strong and peppery I get how you could like it just not for me

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The haunted bookshop I smoked to write this review was cellared in 2008, so be aware that this is the well aged version of this blend.

Haunted bookshop is a very interesting tobacco in the sense that it really separates the pipe smoking community. People seem to absolutely love it, or absolutely hate it. I don't mind it but it is not a favorite.

I have smoked this in the past and remember it being alot more brash and acerbic, but this ages sample was nice and mellow. The tobacco is pretty dry by today's standard but I find this to be the case with most C&D blends.

This blend lit well and stayed lit well. The first half of the bowl had this fragrant perfume like taste, but only in a natural tobacco kind of way, there is by no means any flavoring added here. That fragrant flavor that I loved eventually transitioned in to a nice mellow nutty burley flavor. Not bad.

Mochzky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mochzky (6)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

When I called C&D to place an order for the tobaccos I usually smoke, such as Briar Fox, After Hours, Habana Daydreams, etc., I added one more tin for a trial, on a whim, as I was attracted to the name. This was my first foray into Haunted book shop and became my last.

The nose delivers the damp smell of English antique furniture, which matches the images the said name gives. The musty smell of old books. Taste: dusty, bitter, and earthy. I am a big fan of C&D, and I love VA/PE blend, but it's not my taste. So far, I skip this one in my next order. At least, until I come back to it some day with some more experiences.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)

What interested me at first was how dry and natural this tobacco is. Others have described a peppery taste, which dominates the first part of the smoke. As you progress the rich burleys come through and virtually no sweetness enters into the picture. This was a tough one to get used to but, one of the nice things was the strength--just right for me; a little kick of nicotine to relax the nerves.

Overall I think 7formy1911 nailed the description. My review comes somewhat recommended mostly because I'm an English lover at heart. Top quality tobacco though, as you'd expect from Cornell and Diehl.

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I 100% get this blend. The aroma reminds me of musty old books. It brings me back to the days when I was a kid exploring my great grand dads old motel on Route 66 long after it had shut down and been abandoned for years. It took me about 2 ounces to finally dig deep and understand it however it is not complex at all. This blend either appeals to you and you keep packing bowls or not. It is very easy to pack and oftentimes the initial charring light is all that it takes to get it going. It is pretty straight forward burley blend I can barely detect the red virginia. What I really enjoy is the perique that goes back and forth from stewed fruit to spice. Inhale through the nose if you want to get more spice from the smoke. The flavors are very subtle and I detect most of the flavor from the scent of the smoke as I exhale. It is dry and burns fast so take your time. HB has enough nicotine to give youe a little kick, but not so much to make the room spin. Highly Recommended if you take it slow and enjoy.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

If you like Burley, you'll likely enjoy this. If not, then move along. Pleasantly nutty-earthy. If you start puffing away negligently, then you'll be punished by an overt cigarette note and flavor. If you slow down, you'll pick up some nuance from this one.

Don't get me wrong, this tobacco is incredibly linear and consistent from bowl to bowl, which is likely why you are smoking a burley to begin with.

This one also can get a tad strong in terms on nicotine, so don't pack and light up on an empty stomach.

Tonypuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tonypuff (1)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This came to me highly recommended as i enjoy burley a bit, tin note is your typical sweet molasses/raisin that usually signifies burley. Slightly moist out of the tin but 15 minute drying under my desk lamp cured that and it lit easily in a MM Diplomat. First flavor was somewhat nutty with a pepperish blast but mellowed out quickly to a very mild nutty-ness with a slight pepper taste with the sweetness of the virginia peeking through every now and then. I enjoyed it until about half bowl where the N kick hit me which i wasnt expecting since i can smoke PA all day long and barely feel it. Room note was somewhat pleasant and dissipated quickly but im going to have to finish this tin at a half bowl pace. Apart from the N hit i give it a solid 3 out of 4.

MrBrandyBuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrBrandyBuck (6)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought a 2 oz bag of this blend. It arrived extremely dry. Extremely easy to light. Burns hot but not too hot. It alternates between a 2 and a 3 stars. The perique is not very noticeable but when it comes through it is very pleasant. The virginias are more noticeable than the perique and are nice. I would have liked a bit more perique and virginia and alot less burley. This blend has a tendency to smoke a little bitter. Stayed lit the entire smoke, however I only enjoyed about half of the bowl the other half all I tasted was burley. This blend is very mild in flavor and almost no nicotine effect is noticed. If your a fan of burley i would recommend this blend however if you're looking for loads of flavor I would not recommend this. The room note is a nice mild smokey smell which is quite pleasant. My rating is 2.5/4 stars for Haunted Bookshop.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

I love burley. It's as simple as that. I also enjoy burley that has a little extra something to add another layer of enjoyment and I think that describes this blend perfectly. It's burley plus something "extra." When I first started smoking this blend I thought you could puff along like a freight like just about any other OTC burley and you wouldn't have any ill effects on the tongue or taste. This is where patience comes in. Slow down, enjoy the blend and the nuances. Once you figure out that a little heavier hand than normal in packing as well as a slow smoking cadence will reveal tastes you didn't think were there you'll be in pipe heaven. Let it smolder and smoke it just on the verge of going out. If you're a Virginia smoker then you'll understand that point.

The initial light can be a little rough in taste and slightly peppery but give the blend a moment to settle down. Once the blend settles down a bit you'll experience the nutty/chocolate/cigar notes of the dark burley with the Virginia adding a very subtle sweetness and the perique adding interesting dark fruit (fig) flavors. Once in a while the perique will turn a little peppery but it's brief and usually when you began to puff a bit too fast. If you're not used to burley then you may be put off by the cigar and nutty notes and may come to you as "bitter" notes especially if you're used to smoking sweet aromatics or Virginias. Give this blend time to develop not only in your pipe but on your taste buds as well.

I think this is a wonderful blend worth of attention from all of those who enjoy burley but are looking for a little something more. This is a great all day blend if you are into such a thing as well. C&D has hit another burley homerun and I couldn't be more satisfied in both flavor and nicotine.

matty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matty (21)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a tobacco to go to and just smoke for awhile. When you do not want to think about what pipe with what tobacco for a while. Just pack it up and get to know the burly that comes through on the first few puffs. Do not let this discourage you the virginia is soon to follow. And when you let it pass through your nose you are glad they threw in the perique. A nice light tobacco taste is nice change for this flake and plug aficionado. I let all my other tobacco's age and just smoke this for a month or so. Ok so sue me I still hit the Condor too!

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I consider the three C&D blends of Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop and Riverboat Gambler to be closely related family members. However, I consider Riverboat Gambler to be the best of all three because, for me, it combines the best of the other two and then some!

Haunted Bookshop is a delightful and very mild blend. Virtually a non-aromatic. The extremely light topping strikes me as possibly just a touch of Anise. I consider it a non-aro. I enjoy the quality leaf, the easy light and comfortable smoke it delivers. I do highly recommend it. But you should also try the other two as well or you will be missing something.

This is an excellent blend for Burley lovers but it has a bit more character than a pure Burley. This is something that I welcome in a blend of this type.

Enjoy it. It could be an easy all day smoke if you are looking for one. It is a good investment and will likely not let you down.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Update 4/29/2009:

This is now my main smoke. I smoke as much of this as all other blends put together. A few more months (total of 9) tempers the bitterness a bit more to a level I find perfect for any occasion. The last few puffs at the end of a bowl have a nice Va/Per flavor which makes the bottom of the bowl something to look forward to rather than dreaded. I find this blend tastes a bit acrid in large bore pipes. A medium or small bowl pipe works best. This blend will not wow you at first but wins you over given some time.

"The Haunted Bookshop" is a book by Christopher Morley which features a lot of pipe smoking. It is no longer copyrighted in America, so you can read it online, for free, at:

Smoking this blend while reading it's namesake is a very relaxing experience.

Original review 12/16/2008:

This review is for the tinned version of HB. As with all C&D non-cavendish blends, don't even think about smoking it unless it has some age on it or you will be rewarded with a poor smoke. I waited until my tin had 6 months on it. It was dry but not excessively so. Packing and lighting are a breeze as long as you leave a bit of room for the cube cut burley to expand. For the first 1/4 bowl, it is slightly sweet, grassy, mild, and light in taste. After that, welcome to flavor country. The burly really comes forward with a nutty bitterness which is tempered a bit by the perique and VA. This goes great with a sweet cup of coffee, but if you aren't in the mood for an earthy, non-sweet tobacco flavor, it can be overbearing. But this is the flavor it was obviously designed to present, and it does so well. There is nicotine here but it is not overbearing. It stays like this to the bottom of the bowl. This blend reminds me of Prince Albert, except that it far more flavorful and of vastly higher quality. It isn't finicky about pipes or puffing pace. The room note won't win you any friends as it is somewhat cigarette like, but I appreciate the straightforward tobacco aroma. I like it and would buy it again, but if the bitterness were just a bit more subdued by a smidgen more VA, I would smoke it more often and I think it would win over a few more fans.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)

Haunted Bookshop, a non-aromatic but wonderfully flavored Burley blend is, for me, at its best as a midday smoke when my palate is clear and I?m a bit hungry. I find that its piquancy (the Perique) makes it a poor choice with morning coffee, when bland Prince Albert works best, or after dinner, when L J Heart Burley?s broader flavor produces a more complimentary finish.

During the day however, I enjoy the earthy, musty, sometimes downright gamey brown-tone flavors; and Haunted Bookshop?s peppery edge adds interest to an otherwise routine smoke. This is Runowski at his best; a most tastefully accomplished blend.

If you?re a Burleyphile do give Haunted Bookshop a try.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This reminds me of Prince Albert, only way better.

I'm smoking 4oz of Haunted Bookshop in bulk, and it burns like tinder - whoosh! and it's gone. Pack it tight so you can to slow the burning.

Personally, I like a longer smoke that lingers. This burns too fast for my taste. If they make this in a flake form I think I'd buy it again.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

INTRO: Burley is such a versatile creature. I think of it as the rice of tobaccos. Alone it is nutty, full, creamy and higher in nicotine than its condimental counterparts. Used properly in a blend it will take on any flavor thrown at it like a chameleon running across paint swatches. When used improperly, it is bitter, harsh and just plain nasty. Haunted Bookshop is one of those blends where prime leaf is used and used very well. The burley base retains much of its nutty flavors yet gets along very nicely with the red Virginia and Perique.

CAUTION: The cut is rather fine and upon inspection the visual appearance looks like something you would see in a little jar of seasoning. Due to this cut, I have noticed a lot of "dust" in the tins which makes packing tedious as one tends to get tiny particles of tobacco in the mouth when testing the draw and lighting up. Lightly shaking the tin helps to settle a lot of the finer particles which helps to avoid having a sandstorm hit your tongue.

CHARACTERISTICS: Haunted Bookshop burns faster than most other blends. It also makes a lot of powdery ash that usually requires dumping halfway through the bowl. Tamp this tobacco lightly and you should have no problems. It burns dry, bites very little and leaves the pipe clean. It will "color" your pipe on the first bowl so avoid trying this in a favorite pipe to avoid ghosts.

SMOKING: On the initial light you taste the cigar-like flavor of the burley and Perique. Throughout the bowl the cigar flavor trades places with the subtle sweetness of the red Virginia. The nutty flavors are there and the prune-like presence of the Perique speaks its voice each time you sip it softly. When puffed hard the burley flexes some muscle and you get a big bold bass note with a sidekick of nicotine.

SUMMARY: This blend is similar in the vein of "Old Joe Krantz" but with more high notes, sweetness and less nicotine. It is strong enough to satisfy a nicotine craving, yet light enough to be enjoyed all day.

Haunted Bookshop is a natural blend reminiscent of the old-school blends of a time when a man came home to a clean house, a hot meal and a happy family. No fancy tricks here, just good honest tobaccos skillfully put together to form a delightful and relaxing smoke. Well done!

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Please pardon my indolence, I blogged a review to this on another site I frequent and figured I couldn't say it any better. So here it goes: "Even a cursory comparison of the constituent tobaccos of this blend and OJK will immediately gear you to expect something very similar to OJK. Nothing could be farther from the truth. While the ingredients are indeed the same, the presentation, character and taste of HB is an entirely different animal.

While both OJK and HB are certainly modern incarnations of my beloved codger burlies. In presentation, OJK would seem to be a perique blend with large quantities of burley and a little virginia to mitigate what would otherwise be a perique flavored tire iron to the face. OJK is cigary, acrid and borderline harsh, everything that HB is not. Although the ingredients of the two are identical, HB remarkably seems a very different tobacco. No harshness at all here. If OJK is Thai food, HB is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn with just a healthy sprinkle of black pepper.

The uninitiated have sometimes referred to HB as boring or monotone. I just don't see that. Like it's big brother OJK, HB is simultaneously simple and extremely complex. For me, this blend smokes like a parfait. The top of the bowl is very lightly cigary. Mid-bowl the grassy sweetness of virginia comes front and center with the burley just perceptible enough to make the virginia a bit doughy and totally bite free. Towards the bottom is a grab bag of any taste you've ever heard assigned to burley (i.e. bread dough, chocolatey, nutty, cigary) with the grassy sweetness of virginia peeking in and out just strong enough to be noticed before it gently fades and another burley taste emerges. What about the perique? Well, it just doesn't seem to be a huge part of this blend. At its strongest the perique in HB is condimental. Seems just enough to provide that extra "something" that is neither burley nor virginia but not readily identifiable as perique either. I would compare the perique content of this to something like PS Luxury Navy Flake (i.e. just above invisible). Without a doubt this is an old style burley blend but is light-years ahead of most codger burlies with regard to sophistication and character. It is a smooth, all day smoke which remarkably does not lack vitamin N. So perfect is the balance of burley and virginia that one could nearly be persuaded that there are equal quantities of both in this blend. They just seem to take turns being the tobacco in front. At times, this could probably be mistaken for a virginia with condimental quantities of burley and perique. Other times it is unmistakably burley with condimental quantities of virginia and perique.

In my rotation HB initially was my light change of pace tobacco from OJK. More and more though, I see Haunted Bookshop and OJK sharing my pipe days in equal measure. Haunted Bookshop covering the earlier portion of the day and OJK for the afternoon kick in the pants. I would strongly recommend HB to any virginia lover exploring burlies. Even if body chemistry conspires against you and your are averse to perique, I would think you'd be OK with Haunted Bookshop (this means you Rick!) It's low maintenance codger burliesque smoking manners would also make a great "doing something else" tobacco great for yard work, fishing, driving, woodworking, etc. If your normal fare is heavily latakia'd and smokes like a shredded truck tire, Haunted Bookshop would be a great, light, change of pace without having to contend with the vitamin N depletion normally brought on by most "light, change of pace" tobaccos. This one is a keeper. The more I smoke of it the more I like it. Top Shelf Smoke for sure, Well done Mr. Runowski, well done.

I would only add to this a spot on analogy made by my most excellent friend Quaffer, "OJK is the Beast and Haunted Bookshop is the beauty."

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

I like this much more than Back Porch, which is somehow more grassy and harsh. A blend as convincing as any of quality burley's merits when blended tastefully and without added sugars.

While I am not sure I can picture the characters of Christopher Morley's "The Haunted Bookshop" smoking this, the blend is a fine enough tribute to Morley's whimsical style present in the honored title. Bob Runowski's blending skills are far from fictional. I wonder if someone will write a book about them?

This might be a good place for introducing someone to Perique, too.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I was worried that this was going to be very similar to Old Joe Krantz as its ingredients seem simalar in the description. Haunted Bookshop seems to be a milder,sweeter, blend and is not similar to OJK. The perique and virginia are more pronounced in this blend in my opinion. I could easily smoke this all day.

zimmy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zimmy (6)

*Update 11-08-07

As you will see below the dotted line, my initial review was based on a somewhat defective batch of this blend. I asked Craig Tarler at Cornell & Diehl and he said they had a "dry" batch. He apologised profusely, and more than made up for it. I asked for a different blend to replace this. He sent it, AND another sample of Haunted Bookshop free. They are just the nicest folks down there. If you ever have problems or questions, just call or email them. I am sure they will work it out.

After giving Haunted Bookshop another chance, I see what everyone was gushing about! This is a sublime blend. There are no casing flavors, just pure tobacco. You may think you are smoking a strong tobacco. Then you realize that the natural flavors of this blend are so full, complex and enjoyable, that it is actually richness of flavor and not overt strength.

I would grade it medium in strength. The sum of the parts really just creates a whole new entity that seems like it has always been exactly that way. Sort of "meant" to be.

This blend remains interesting, yet the same throughout the bowl, (I know that sounds contradictory)... you can pick up on the seamless combination of tobaccos throughout the bowl. (It is NOT like some other blends where the charring light is overwhelmingly one flavor, and by mid-bowl you can't taste it anymore...)

This smokes down to a very fine white/grey ash, proving the purity of the tobaccos used.

Though their Crooner blend is still my favorite, I will make room in my rotation for Haunted Bookshop when I want a slightly stronger & satisfying smoke.

Well done

--------------------------------------------------

My sample, like other reviewers, arrived bone dry. I tried a few bowls because I really WANTED to like this blend.

It was like going into an old hay shed and gathering up some twigs, straw, leaves etc, that had been drying for 30 summers, and stuffing it all into a pipe and lighting up.

This smoke was so harsh, hot and unpleasant, I can't imagine it being the same smoke that other reviewers raved about. Other than harsh twigs, straw, etc... I could not detect ANY of the tobacco flavors.

Literally like smoking a thirty year old burlap bag. I will ask them about this upon my next order...

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)

Little to add except to say that this is a really "comfortable" blend, relaxing like the company of an old and valued friend. Seems to me to smoke better in larger bowls where the cube cut burley has a touch more room to expand as it smoulders. Good any time of day.

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (10)

The differing palates of individuals is a fascinating thing and thought that I was tasting a different tobaco that several of the recent reviewers when I saw their ratings. My reaction to this was more in accord with pipestud. I like perique but my stomach doesn't. So was delighted when I tried this tobacco. Has just enough perique for flavor without assaulting my stomach and melds so well with the burleys. For burley lovers who enjoy a tad of perique, can't think of a better one and it is currently one of my mainstay blends.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really enjoy a good burley blend and this one qualifies as one of the best I have smoked. Strong enough in the nicotine department to satisfy and mild enough not to be a large bite risk. It is somewhat on the dry side in the tin, which is a good sign. It packs easily an lights without any effort. A very satisfying and flavorful taste that burns well all the way to the bottom of the bowl. An excellent all-day smoke. If I could sum it up in one phrase, I would say it's a good blend with a smokiness in the background that really satisfies.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The large multi colored flakes are easy to gravity fill a pipe with. Lights easy, smokes dry. Subtle nutty tones, always very smooth with a musty aroma. Initially somewhat bland, as I progressed through an 8 oz tin, Haunted Bookshop grew on me in a positive fashion. Its flavor became much more pronounced as familiarity and experience afforded greater enjoyment with every bowl. Haunted indeed, in the sense that it must be frequented to truly appreciate. The more you smoke it, the better it gets. If you enjoy natural tobaccos with a smooth, mild character, you just might enjoy Haunted Bookshop.

Casper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Casper (22)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Came across this by purchasing the C&D sampler. No tin descriptions so I began looking up the contents of each tin on this website. The description lead me to the book - purchased the book on a lark. Loved the book! Classic 20's americana with great references for the bibliophile. I'll get the first now: "Parnassus on Wheels". The tobacco itself is true americana, in the vein of House of Windsor; and I really am a sucker for historical or literary links. So far so that I purchased a Peterson Shannon Sitter specifically for this tobacco. Buy the book - buy the tobacco - tell me you can't picture yourself in that second hand bookshop! This one for me was a really fun discovery. Highly recommended journey!

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

04/17/06 For a complete review, see Norm's excellent review below. I think he hit the nail on the head. For me Haunted Bookshop is a great change of pace from my normal fare, Virginia and Virginia/perique blends. The burleys are smooth, round, and nutty. Despite the different cuts of burley, Haunted Bookshop packs, lights, and smokes effortlessly. The Virginias and perique are just condiments, but provide a little sweetness and fruity taste. Haunted Bookshop reminds me of what I think pipe smokers of the first half of the Twentieth Century might have preferred. Perfect for a long day on a tractor or an evening on a train. It's simple, yet there's something special about it. It could easily be an all-day smoke; there's no tongue bite or bitterness. Highly recommended for someone looking for a high quality burley blend. It is also very affordable.

Update-11/04/06-I'm on the last few bowls of an 8 oz. tin of Haunted Bookshop. I opened it earlier this year, and it was my first taste of this blend. I don't really have the words for how much I've grown to love this blend. After my first few bowls I knew I liked it, but I never thought I would come to feel this way. I think there might be something borrowed from the Dark Lord in Haunted Bookshop, because it has a hold on me in a mysterious way.

I'm primarily a Va and Va/perique smoker, but I have always had a weak spot for burley. I had been searching for something that graps me like Cumberland, but not as expensive, something that could be an all-day smoke. Haunted Bookshop fits the bill to a tee. The burleys are top notch, highlighted by the dark-fired leaf. Upon dissection, I believe the cube-cut is the dark-fired leaf that I like so much. The burley really dominates, but the red Virginia is critical because it brings a sweetness and ties it all together. A little perique seasons the blend and highlights the red Virginia. This is a truly perfect blend composed of the best quality leaf that I could imagine.

Upon lighting, there is a tingle of sharpness on the tongue that I have grown to expect and crave. Don't worry, it settles down quickly and smokes smoothly. Relights are a breeze, and it even DGT about as well as any blend I smoke. It's surprising that a predominantly burley blend would DGT so well, but I swear it does. I no longer worry about sitting down a half-smoked pipe and picking it up the next morning. In fact, I look forward to it.

I'm sad that my tin is coming to an end. Unfortunately, I don't have another well aged tin to open. Fortunately, I have a semi-well aged tin of Old Joe Krantz waiting. I haven't tried OJK yet, but it looks to be similar to HB, and I have high hopes for it. I don't think it has the dark-fired leaf that I love in HB, so we'll see.

Bob Runowski is becoming one of my favorite blenders and C&D is becoming one of my favorite brands.

OPCElder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCElder (24)

I've been smoking this blend (bulk variety, not tinned) nearly every day for two weeks and I like it. I am a burley fan and there's a lot to like about Haunted Bookshop. My sample has dried out a bit since I first started smoking it, hence, it has been burning a bit on the hot side lately. The drying out is due to my own neglect of keeping it properly stored. I will order it again but will go for the tin next time. Judging by the other reviews I anticipate a higher moisture level in the tin. The aroma is just what a burley ought to be, smokey and musty with a nutty character. The flavor is a bit nutty as well. No complaints here. I'll update this review after I sample the tin.

Revised 03-01-2006 I have been having a love affair with this blend lately. I don't know why, but I just can't leave this blend alone. This affair started after I got over a cold and began to smoke again. So, I have upgraded to 4 stars... Go get some now! Original Review: Appearance and Tin Aroma: Man, this stuff smells like a good fortified hay. Beautiful multi-cut of cubes of burley, square cut, bright yellow VA, red VA, Brown Kentucky, and specks of St. James Parish' finest.

Packing and Lighting: As with most C&D blends, the moisture is perfect. Open tin, pack and light. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: A wonderful, complex symphony of Burley. A little sharp at the beginning, so start slowly.

Mid Bowl: This is burley nirvana! Round, mellow, full flavor. The Perique is but an occassional splash (which I prefer).

Bottom of Bowl:Strength builds nicely, the Perique asserts itself a little more, but never obtrusively. No bitterness if your puffing pace was kept slow. Ash that is left is grey and dry.

Overall: This is a delicious burley blend. IMO, no one does Burley blends like C&D. This is my favorite Burley blend period. This is still an ocassional smoke for me and a tin usually lasts me about 3mo.s, but I always have a couple of tins in the cellar. Definitely recommended...

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

I am very pleased that quality burley blends are so widely available. If you like burley and don't have anything against perique, you're almost sure to be happy with Haunted Bookshop. The tin description is concise and to the point, as is the taste of this blend. What you see is what you get. I would highly recommend this tobacco to anyone looking to explore burleys so I've given it four stars.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

C&D excels in its blends that are burley-centric. They have an uncanny ability to take high quality burley and bring out full flavor; then add small amounts of other tobaccos that compliment the burley in a most pleasant fashion.

Haunted Bookshop has a great musty aroma in the pouch/tin, along with a grassy sweetness. The various cuts play nicely together, making for an easy load, light, and even burn.

The burley taste is first to greet you, and a great one it is. Eventually, a bit of the red VA is barely detected, and the Perique adds a wee bit of spice. I find the Perique influence varies, dependent on how much I happen to include in the loading of the pipe.

I like it much more than Old Joe Krantz, which I find to be imbalanced by too much Perique.

Burley lovers certainly don't want to miss this pipe-weed.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Norm's review pretty much summed it up. A good solid burley blend this is! After enjoying Old Joe Krantz, I wanted to try this more burley-focused version as I am a big fan of C&D's burley blends. It didnt disappoint. It has a delicious woody sweetness and smokes nicely down to the ash. I'll keep some of this around for when I feel like something a little less perky(less red va and per) than the OJK. Haunted Bookshop is yet another great vaburper from C&D, highly recommended!

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really wanted to try Haunted Bookshop after reading the book of the same name by Chris Morley which can be downloaded for free here; http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/172

Learning that this blend was one of Bob Runowski's made it even more appealing since he also blended one of my favorite burley blends, Morley's Best.

Now, I totally enjoy great burley blends and this one is one of the best out there. It packs and lights easy and has an immediate nutty burley taste with just a hint of perique. Like Morley's best it has superb burn characteristics and is a great all day smoke for burley fanciers. Four very solid stars.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

i was anxious to try this blend after finding out that it had been blended by bob runowski. he also did one of my favorite tobaccos, "morley's blend". after smoking it in two pipes, my bent peterson and striker long draw, i wasn't disappointed. it lights easily and one first notes the nutty burley taste, with just a hint of peppery tang from the perique. as it burned down, the perique became more apparent in my peterson, but pretty much stayed the same in the striker. it finishes with a clean powdery ash in the bottom of the bowl. just as with morley's best, the burn characteristics are superb. i love the nutty taste of good burley, and this one will make a great all-day smoke. I must admit, however to prefering Morley's Best to this one just enough to knock it down one notch. Three stars.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)

Like many reviewers, I was attracted to this tobacco due to it's name. Having recently read both Morley's Parnassus on Wheels and Haunted Bookshop via the free downloads at Project Gutenberg, I thought it would be appropriate to sample one of the tobacco namesakes.

After several bowls, I would characterize Haunted Bookshop as an enjoyable, thoroughly honest, Burley blend. It doesn't have any pretensions to be anything more. Thus it hits the mark squarely in terms of smoking enjoyment.

I found the tobacco to be surprisingly dry, but this lent itself to easy packing and lighting. It does generate a voluminous amount of smoke during this process but eventually settles down to something a bit more relaxed.

Early smoking is dominated by the taste of the Burley with hints of Perique. The Virginia makes an appearance just before mid-bowl to offset some of the Burley/Perique combination's earthy taste. This effect doesn't last, however, and by the end of the smoke the Burley is once again thoroughly in command, for better and worse.

By the end of the bowl, depending on how quickly it has been smoked, the remainder will either be pleasantly relaxing or mildly obnoxious from a bitterness perspective. Lesson learned. It wasn't the tobacco's fault but rather unfocused smoking due to a harried work week. Take time while enjoying this blend and you will be rewarded appropriate to your investment.

Unlike some other Burley blends (notably the far more complex Barbary Coast), this one doesn't leave any lingering imprimatur upon the smoker. I may revisit this review after a bit more experience with this blend, but for the time being, I would whole-heartedly encourage Burley fans to give this a try. Other smokers, wishing to branch out into this leaf could do far worse for an introduction as well.

I will be returning to the Bookshop often in the coming months and will look forward to my sojourn among its phantoms.

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)

Like one or two of my fellow Haunted Bookshop reviewers, I first read Mr. Morley?s book The Haunted Bookshop while firing up a bowl (or five) of this distinguished Cornell & Diehl creation. I found the combination enchanting. Even if one doesn?t care for burley blends, I highly recommend this charming book. I got my 2-ounce pouch as bulk, and opened the rather industrial poly bag to be greeted with a dusty nutty burley aroma. The stuff was dry! I was worried, but I packed it carefully into a 50?s vintage Algerian briar Wilke Author, (promotion number two: One can still have one of these from Carole Burns at Pipeworks & Wilke ? she found an unsmoked stash of many of the old shapes and is offering them on the P&W website), and the mixture of chunky cube cut and ribbon cut loaded without trouble for a fine draw.

Initial light took two tries, which was surprising considering the dryness, but cubes usually take the match gently. The ensuing smoke was voluminous, cool, and richly nutty with a very slight sweetness. This is strictly a natural blend. Most gratifying! There was not much variance from this flavor until mid-bowl.

The last half of the bowl was as dry, cool, and ashy as the hero of the book. This is a good burley, and what little Virginia is present lends suppleness to the finish of the smoke that shores up the usual final sag in flavor that is often characteristic of even the best burley,

I was surprised by the seemingly low amount of nicotine in this tobacco. Though the last few draws gave me a bit of spiciness at the back of the palate, I found myself without the little buzz I would have expected from a mostly burley blend.

This is not a complex mélange of more than two or three flavors, so it is great for smoking while one is otherwise occupied ? presumably reading ? but it leaves one satisfied and somehow refreshed. Another masterwork of creative blending from Cornell & Diehl, simply and elegantly executed. Good stuff!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a great burley blend. Although I am very fond of Greg Pease, I never liked Barbary Coast very well. Something in that blend just didn't jive too my way of taste. After smoking this blend, it seems obvious to me that it was the brandy casing. I really like this blend. I could see myself smoking quite alot of this during the hot summer months. The Burley is excellent and the Perique is just enough to remind you of its presence. The Virginias are almost non-existent, but do lend some sweetness. The book itself is also a treasure. I own one of the early editions (a dollar at a garage sale-can you believe it?!!) and got a kick out of reading it while smoking this blend. Talk about setting the mood!

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I love the name for this blend, as I am known to haunt quite a few bookstores myself. However, this blend just leaves me cold. The taste reminds me of an upscale Prince Albert. I like burley,but this stuff has the bitter, sour tastes that make me stop in a hurry. I really wanted to like this one, but I can't.

StimeyStrongwater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StimeyStrongwater (7)

I loved Old Joe Krantz and was very anxious to try this blend because of the similarity between these two blends that I was told about. I was upset when I discovered that I could never get into the groove with Haunted Bookshop. I am a big fan of C&D Burleys. This blend is made with the same high quality tobaccos that you have come to expect from this great company, but regretfully Haunted Bookshop could not strike a chord with me. I still would recommend the blend because I think that I am likely the outlier here, unfortunately.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

After being so pleasantly surprised with Old Joe Krantz I wanted to try this one for comparative purposes which I did when I re-supplied Old Joe. My 4 ounce bulk baggie arrived much drier than even the 12% that C&D favors and I had to spend some time adding more moisture for a fairer comparison.

I can readily see how this is considered a sibling blend to OJK and perhaps that relationship can taint my review as I much preferred the dark and cubed (heavier) burley of OJK to the lighter burleys used in HB. I can't really determine if there is any major difference in the portions of the blend varieties used - burley, perique, red Virginia. But in the smoke these lighter burleys play a more subtle role and the perique seems stronger, more peppery. Va's seem the same.

This does not have the same tin aroma of OJK in intensity but is close. The flavor in the pipe is more subtle. The potency is not necessarily less however, but only seems so perhaps due to the milder smoke.

Not to belabor the point, HB rates a solid three stars from me. In my personal rating system, three is very good and denotes a blend I would buy again. However, I much prefer its bigger brother, OJK, which I have bought four times in two months already and is now a must-have.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: Fresh production

Purchased From: smokningpipes.com

Pilotpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilotpuffer (6)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Maybe it’s just me. I really enjoy the VaPer blends such as GLP’s Haddo’s Delight, and even Dunhill’s Elizabethan Mixture. This was my first foray into the burly/perique territory and will be my last! The sweetness and perique just doesn’t mix well on my tongue. The aftertaste was not the usual for perique and there must be other casings in this mix which did not add any enjoyment. After the charring light a strange goo taste and texture began to emerge. Then the bitterness of the hot smoke kicked in.

Honestly, I have VERY seldom dumped a bowl halfway through, but I did with this junk. Sorry, C&D , you have some excellent blends, but this is certainly not among them. Even Cater Hall is a burly blessing compared to the dusty and dank bookshop.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

My first impression was that it started off dry and peppery but eventually warmed up to a bit more of a straight up burley taste. It had some interesting flavors throughout, lots of nicotine, gave me niccups.

Following that first impression however, after smoking many more bowls I did not find myself enjoying this blend. The perique overpowered the blend and made it somewhat putrid and foul tasting, and I don't know if anyone has gotten this, but I usually get it if I smoke anything with cigar leaf in it through my pipe, I get an uncomfortable feeling of a lump in my throat (and I'm fairly certain that it's not a tumor).

This tobacco is too strong (in terms of flavor, and nicotine). Behind all the strength there was an interesting flavor buried away, but this blend was unbearable to smoke. Worst of all it ghosted my pipe, meaning that the next few smokes were less than enjoyable no matter what tobacco I was smoking.

C&D should go back to the drawing board with this one. Don't make the mistake of buying this blend.

EarlofYork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EarlofYork (5)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Dusty,musty, old warehouse that needs sweeping all come to mind with this selection. Falt tasting, tounge burning trash.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This tasted like a stale cigarette smells, my mouth was unhappy from the first puff.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This blend was interesting at first but seemed to lack a good bit of desired complexity. I imagine the prolonged smoking of this blend would leave one growing tired and bored with it.

WdCFields Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WdCFields (2)

I started calling this one "Haunted Stomach" as a joke. Truthfully, I think I'd have been better off smoking my belly button lint than this stuff.

Perhaps it is the Burley that is causing the problem for me with this blend but I found it disgusting. The first puff is pleasent enough but the second puff is where it hit me. It made my mouth water profusely and gave me a headache.

I wanted to like it but it just didn't work for me.

I smoke both cigars and pipes so I'm no noobie. Generally I smoke medium-full blend cigars. The pipe tobaccos I like are Larry's Blend, Black House, B & B, Ambassador Blend, Frog Morton. This stuff however was, ah, like having a bar of Lifebouy in my mouth.

SithLord1985 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SithLord1985 (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is definitely a Burley smoke. I am personally just not feeling this blend but I can see those having the taste for Burley absolutely loving this blend. If you smoke it too harshly it will give off a bit of a cigarette taste, which wasn't pleasant at all. The tobacco was very dry and burned pretty well. I don't really know if I will explore this blend further or not.

smokeymountainmike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeymountainmike (10)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

You know the feeling you get when you open a new tin up and it's really bad? This is that feeling. Save your money folks, I wish I did.

ContemplativePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ContemplativePipe (4)

Just sampled a little bit of this, haven't been through a whole bowl yet. This baccy is uniformly medium brown/suede color in the tin, and has a salty note. Someone mentioned the bowl resembling sweaty socks partway down, and the salty tin note makes me believe that. When smoked is is downright rough or raspy. Room note is on a par with boiled cabbage.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

hmmm...pretty earthy peppery taste with the Burley and Perique. Not sure I like it that much. Kind of taste like old sock and ass-tray...I mean ashtray. Compared to Escudo...this is a wrong turn on the road to a good VaPer. If you're into Perique...you might dig this.

boocat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boocat (1)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Now I know why they call it "Haunted Bookshop" - everybody who smoked this expired.

Worst. Tobacco. Ever. Like smoking floor sweepings.

Save yourself the hot, dry, ghastly grief. DO NOT buy this vile blend.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Haunted Bookshop? I just had to try this just to find out for myself. Nothing haunting about this one, unless it cries out for more of almost everything that this stuff is made of. Not bad but not that good either. It can stand to be a little sweeter along with everything else it seems. The only good thing about it is the strength department, whereas the big N word is satisfying enough but nothing really worthwhile beyond that. Skip on this one in favor of something more interesting, as C&D has much more interesting blends.

bklynpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bklynpipe (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

I was shocked at the dryness of this blend upon opening, besides having nothing but a vague scent of dry straw on the nose. It's burley cut in large pieces, about its only plus. Even as I like a bit of a 'nip' in a tobacco, this stuff was about as awful as I've ever had. It bit like a piranha, burned my tongue and palate, and left nothing for me to go back to. Nothing resembling any Virginia or Perique could be found. I hesitated throwing the whole 8oz.can away, but I could'nt think of anyone I disliked enough to present this stuff to. Maybe I got a bad tin?

Riptide Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Riptide (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

I got this because i liked the name mistake. I is a sour smoke and reminds me of old stale cigarettes.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a 2 oz. baggie of this in a C&D sampler pack. I did not read TR's ratings on this blend before I smoked it, because I wanted my impressions to be my own, not tainted by others' reviews.

As I was smoking this blend, I immediately sensed a bitter taste and smell. Less than halfway down the bowl, there was an increasing sensation I could only describe as "sour", and "old sweat socks". Imagine my surprise when previous reviewers mentioned these same characteristics!

I'm a burley man. I love Boswell's Premium Burley, Granger, and Mild Kentucky Club. I also enjoy Prince Albert and Carter Hall. But not this stuff.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I've had worse. That's why it gets 2 stars instead of one. For the price I expected better. Heck, for the price I'll take Prince Albert over this. Not much on the flavor department unless you puff so lightly it constantly goes out on you.

Like the idiot that I am I have to try everything. I could have gotten twice as much of a drug store blend for the price of this stuff and been happier with the results.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I think I could blend this myself. Three parts dry leaves from the yard, two parts dry leaves from the yard last year. What is this? I find far to many blends from C&D that are pale and tasteless like this one. Sorry, C&D you ripped me off on this crap.

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is an odd little blend, and hard to really get my mind around it. It can be harsh on the char light, but smokes fairly smoothly after that if you smoke carefully. The VA and Per is more like a seasoning than a flavor. So, it isn't really a burley, or a VA or a Perique. You have to basically take it on its terms, much like some of the interesting little micro-brews that are out there that pay no attention to style categories. Fortunately, it's a decent smoke and burns nicely. Worth giving a try, but I suspect it's a take-it-or-leave-it kind of smoke with little room in the middle. I like it enough to buy about once a year for variety. Oh, and don't dry it out as much as you might like - it smokes better when not bone dry, but the burley in it likes to dry out very quickly.

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)

This tobacco is vile. The pouch note, if any, is moldy and sour. In the bowl it is horrid. I thought it was just because I wasn't a "Burley guy". No. While I'm not a "Burley guy", I've smoked Burleys which I would be happy to give between 2 and 3 stars. I wouldn't smoke this again if someone gave it to me free.

Rev. E. A. Hernandez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. E. A. Hernandez (3)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

Like someone said of C&D's Purple Cow: I really wanted to like this. I'm a burley man. No objection to a few spiced points to a tobacco. Also naturally a Virginia fan.

This stuff, which I purchased a bit of, from bulk, was dreadful. I can't ever say I have tasted moldy gym socks, pepper, and stale Chinese food all-in-one, but this is it. It has a bite that I hated, and I'd also classify it as rather sour.

I noted the dryness of the sample I received. It was odd. Then I noted it had NO aroma of any kind. It doesn't even smell of tobacco. Is it possible I got something old, dry and with a hint of mold? Perhaps. It sure tasted like it.

The reviews here are vastly overrated if that is what that stuff IS supposed to taste like. It took a malted and a bowl of Lane's 1-Q to fix this mess.

john1179 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john1179 (10)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

GREAT NAME! DIDNT NOTICE MUCH ABOUT THIS TOBACCO HOWEVER. REALLY DIDNT HAVE ALOT OF TASTE OR AROMA. JUST A REALLY GOOD STRAIGHT FORWARD TOBAC!!!

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got this in a trade, so I can't vouch for the average condition when you buy it in a shop. It didn't feel cased and doesn't taste to me like it is dosed with flavorings, but just tastes like good burley which has been spiced with perique and VA leaf in such a way as to create a very relaxed soft tasting blend. I have come to like it as a palate cleanser of sorts between bowls of my more pungent blends. The sweet/baked va shows up every now and then and the burley has a nice aroma without being perfumed. This is what I had always hoped more of the codger burleys would be like. A solid 2.75 star tobacco. Nothing wrong with it, not too complex or high falutin' and fancified. Just tasty, cool burning, easy going pipe smoking.

One little note...if you are a quick puffer, you won't get burned or bitten, but if you can keep this on the edge of going out it will show you a bunch of little surprises.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I am beginning to enjoy C&D burley blends, but this seemed too bitter. The leaf is of obvious quality, as you would expect from this blender...which earned this mix a second star. But Haunted Bookshop just didn't seem very enjoyable to me. Still, many smokers seem to like it, so try it and see for yourself.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Matt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matt (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first burly based blend that wasnt an aromatic, that could be why I was looking for a bit more in this. Its not bad just alittle boring. If I go with non-aromatics Ill stick to Vir/Per. I can see what some of the other reviewers have said about it being dry in the tin but I thought it was just slightly drier than what im used to. It burned well with one relight and left my pipe clean.

Baron Von Costume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baron Von Costume (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I bought this tin, solely on the name alone. In the tin it smells like a mixture of old cigarettes and hay. It was rather dry if I remember correctly. As for the taste, well it was like smoking cigarettes. I have kept the tin in hopes that I could add something like McClelland's 5100 to improve it, but I have yet to do so. Not recommended.

gillywalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gillywalker (5)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

This was one of the first tobaccos I was able to successfully smoke probably because the bulk I ordered was slightly dry. The room note was more musty bookshop than haunted bookshop. I didn't get much of a taste out of it either, and no nicotine kick. Anyone around me said it smelled like I was smoking cigarettes.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This was an ok smoke. Didn't hit on much for me. Burned a little hot.

Bub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bub (18)

If you like a fine burley tobacco with just a hint of Virginia and Perique, you'll most likely enjoy this mild blend. Not too complex but more of an all day smoke. Slightly bland in flavor. Pretty good burley though.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)

If Virginia and Perique is a Vaper, than Burley and Perique must be a Buper. The perique adds a nice edge to an otherwise non-descript burley. Smoke it slowly to enjoy its subtleties. Very cool in the pipe, but kinda boring.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

HB is a nice smoke that has a little topping but not overpowering. I find it kind of middle of the road in all ranges from nicotine, to flavor. Mild on the mouth. Id buy it again.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Well I really think this is an extra-fine all day blend. Comes somewhat dry so that it lights and burns well right off the line. And it really does seem to have a "bookshop" smell to it. Reminds me of an old man in Santa Barbara that smoked a pipe in his shop. This is a very pleasant and tasty smoke but the knock is that it burns fast and if you like it you will be buying a lot of it. Maybe it wouldn't be bad cut about 10% with PA and would last a little longer and lower the cost. Did I mention how much I like the taste of this blend? Yummy!

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Not my idea of what a baccy ought to be. Comes, IMHO, too dry, has a strange cut, very mottled appearance, takes 3 matches to get started, no flavor but STRONG taste (I know this is hard to imagine), and gives absolutely no satisfaction of any kind.

To it's credit, once properly started, this mixture stays lit well but what the heck for?; Does not bite and smokes cool; No apparent casing or topping; No problems with packing and does not stink up the pipe (This is a little "maybe" since I couldn't finish the pipe and dumped the first load at half bowl}.

Am gifting the wife with the remainder of 4oz. tomorrow as a possible enrichment to her plant potting mix (she's getting used to this).

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

A milder version of Old Joe Krantz with less Perique is how I would best describe this blend. The Burley is definitely the dominant tobacco here with the Virgina in the background. The Perique serves to nullify the potential for tongue bite from the Virginia and it serves it's purpose well.

Packs easily, burns clean and is all around a flavorful American classic blend, which is apparently designed for Burley smokers.

Tobold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobold (7)

01/15/09 - This is a "blue-collar" review from a long-time pipe smoker who is neither a connoisseur nor a gourmet. I like subtleties up to a point, beyond which I cannot detect them. There are very few aromatics that I like anymore. I love orientals, latakias, and Virginias, but burley gives me some trouble. Most of the time, I like stronger blends over weaker ones and in larger pipes than smaller ones. I have exceptions to all of the above. With that said . . .

This review is of tobacco from a 50 g. tin of fresh vintage.

Medium brown and light tan ribbons, this smells like straight burley. Starts out very mild with little taste. Pleasant room note! Tastes a bit nutty early on, but by mid-bowl, this has turned monochromatically sour and bitter. Having little experience with burleys, I got this after reading all the reviews and references. I really, really wanted to like this, but it has convinced me that unflavored burley blends are NOT for me. My loss.

Compares to any unflavored blend where the burley predominates. While I dislike most burley blends, C&Ds #104, Crooner, has a great taste and doesn't turn bitter in the bowl.

I will not be keeping this blend on hand.

I give it only two leaves out of nine.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I really hate to give this only one star, especially in light of its many fans, but I find no redeeming qualities here whatsoever. I love burlies (especially C&D burlies) yet all I've found here is a musty, dried out mess that tastes and smells like a stale generic cigarette. I smoke Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best all the time, but I've completely given up on this one.

I hope your experience with this is better than mine!

Strong Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I had the same experience as Glorfindel, The 4oz bulk I received was dry like wood, the smoke was harsh, tasteless, old dusty and nasty .

maybe the tined package is better quality.

If want top quality strait burley: Aged Burley flake (tin only) from solani or Golden Blend (pouch tin and bulk) from Mac baren.

Wylie Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wylie Coyote (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Low rating for this one, but I can't blame the tobacco. I just plain don't like Burleys. Burns well though. I will try it again after this tin ages a while. Would not feel bad if this review was removed...

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

My bulk sample came powder dry. On purpose? I dunno but this was the worst pipe tobacco I have ever tried, even worse than Borkum Riff Whiskey. Smelled and tasted like cigarettes that had been opened and been left to air out in the sun of the dash board of someone's truck for a few years - HARSH!!

I had not even finished pulling down the flame on the first match when my tounge was stung like a scorpion sting. Biting hard right out of the gate to be blunt.

I was actually astonished that a blend could be engineered to bite so quickly. I never before had a bite, and such a hard intense one, happen so quickly in over 20 years of pipe smoking - even with the cheap stuff that I know will bite at some point.

The taste was awful - like smoking molded hay or floor trash sweepings - simply repulsive. This stuff is bad to the point it that makes me angry.

I hope my supplier had stored their stock incorrectly which led to this unpleasant experience and waste of my money and time. I would hate to think that someone at Cornell and Diehl knowingly made the tobacco this way.

If C&D is out to drive away customers, they have a winning strategy for sure with this poison.

I would give my sample away but I don't want to make any mortal enemies or be arrested for assault.

Sorry C&D, if this is a representative sample, it is simply an awful creation.

(-1 stars if possible)

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I am completely rewriting my initial review of this mixture. Originally, I was only barely lukewarm about it. However the tin I had been given had been open for awhile, so I thought in fairness I should order an unopened tin and try that.

I don't know what happened, but I apparently accidentally ordered two tins, so I definitely got more than I needed. On to the tobacco. I will first say that, whatever I had smoked before, was completely different in character and quality. Whatever is in this tin bears no resemblance to what I had earlier sampled. It is dry, bone dry; no, make that dry as ash. The tin aroma is non existent, and the tobacco looks like little bits of old cardboard; like something a rat might line its nest with. Had I been outside when opening this, and a slight breeze been blowing, the entire contents of the tin would have blown away on the wind.

Undaunted, I went ahead and filled a pipe, and lit up. Again, this bore no resemblance to my previous experience. The stuff in this tin is absolutely awful; it is worse than awful. It simply tasted of hot, dry paper. I don't know what the heck is going on over at C&D, but I've had identical experiences with some of Pease's blends, which they also make.

C&D should quickly re-evaluate their manufacturing and quality control process. I have now experienced five or six nearly consecutive tins of tobacco that they have made either under their own name or for GL Pease that have been well below the standard of quality one would expect from them. My final thoughts on this experience would simply be, stay away from anything made by Cornell & Diehl until they get their stuff together, and issue a public mea culpa.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The sweet VA is a nice complement to the Burley & peppery Perique. Well balanced is a one word summary I'd ascribe to this blend. I'm reminded of Big Red chewing gum and the slight nip, not unpleasant at all. The cut is of large pieces with the red VA's easily spotted. This is one I'll add to my cellar.

** 7/07. Try adding some aged & dried 5100 or Red Ribbon at 20% volume, let set for a week. Then let it dry overnight (spread on a cookie sheet). A go to blend.

** 7/09. Graded 3 stars, but with 20% 5100, it goes to 4-Star. IMHO, the red va adds a nice sweet touch & makes it a bit more full flavored

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)

When I first lit this blend up my first thought was "meh". Kind of boring. About halfway through things were getting a bit more interesting, but not much. Then, oh my, the end of the bowl! The end of the bowl is just divine... the VAs come out and mingle with the burly more. I did not smoke this with a clean palate so that might change my impression - probably a decent breakfast smoke. I'm at the end of a bowl now, where normally I would dump the tobacco out... but it's still burning well, and it's smooth and rich... will smoke this til there's nothing left!

Ummm... time for an edit. No idea what I was smoking those first few bowls but every bowl since has been harsh and bitey. Bad bite. Enough to screw up your smoking for the rest of the day. I'm leaving my three star rating because, wow, those first few bowls were great, but if this thing doesn't clean up its act...

Even if it did I don't think I will re-order it, sticking instead to Three Friars, Old Joe Krantz, and Bayou Morning in the C&D line.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I like the idea of a burly and Perique but this one is just a bit bland for my liking. The blend did smoke slowly but in my opinion a touch hot, no bite though. I would liked to have had a bit more VA. tobacco. The woody notes are a nice touch I just kept thinking to my self gosh I wish there was more.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

====Updated======

So have you ever felt like the Guy that publically panned Star Wars? or maybe call Titanic "Just another crappy boat movie"?

I feel like that Guy.. But I learned an important lesson too. Agricultural products can go bad if not properly cared for-and the local B&M can make mistakes. When in doubt- go to the source.

On Char light (in a kaywoodie 99b)- immediatly get a taste of Musty library...Its a good thing as any biblophile will tell you- And I don't think its the name effecting me, as much as the Namer getting the same effect. Its actually quite nice. Once the Char calms down, and through cruising speed the flavors of old books, perique, and nut/almond. The Red Virginia never comes to the front, but meshes with the burlies and perique- It creates a great effect. Stopped for a bit...Let it sit- Relit.

Much sweeter on relight....Virginia a little more pronounced....Perique may be getting a bit stronger towad the bottom, But its polite...never overbearing. Doesn't smoke hot, Nice mouthfeel, even a sweet after taste....Cut chopped. Easy to gravity fill and pack with a thumb.

This is great stuff. I like it. If your a fan of burlies...This is your blend.

Below is my first embarrasing review left to keep me humble:**

This was my first burley blend. Upon trying this, It was not at all what I anticipated. This was bitter stuff. Either my chemistry and HB don't mesh, or the store where I got the sample isn't storing correctly (open bins). Other burley blends have been fine. I will say that experience with other C&D blends don't lend me to think inferior components- soI think its just incompatability between myself and the blend. Maybe if I find a sample from another source I'll try again.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Haunted Bookshop.23/03/07. Well after smoking numerous bowls of Haunted Bookshop,I must say it's not as bad as I thought it might be.Why,you ask? The reason being is that I'm not a great fan of burley.But,after confessing to that fact,I must admit that this is a pretty well balanced smoke offering. Now,coming from me "That's saying something positive" It offered a non offensive smoke,cool without bite and a very mild smoke to the bottom of the bowl.Leaving a very clean greyish ash and almost no goop at all.Nothing over powering here either,just a nice straight smoke,which only required two light's and the odd gentle tamp."Give it a go"

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

I purchased C&D Haunted Bookshop out of my love for burley and the book of the same name. This tobacco has a unique cut and took some experimentation and some time to get a full appreciation. In general, the words 'burley' and 'complex' don't go together. But I think this stuff requires as much care and prep as a VA/Per blend to get in the "zone". I don't like doing gymnastics with my tobacco, but this burley requires a little more care than dipping your corncob in a can of Granger.

1.) Upon opening, the tobacco was uncharacteristically moist for a C&D blend. A little air drying was in order. My 8oz can is 6 mos old and seems just right now. It lights easily and burns well.

2.) Those big burley flakes need a wide bowl to reach their full potential. I use a jumbo size apple made by Tinsky for this blend, or a fat 'ol Custombilt. A large capacity corncob does well too.

3.) Mid-bowl is where this stuff sings. Early on, its just a nutty burley experience. Others might say bland. Va eventually chimes in along with the spice of the Perique, and slowly exhaling through the nose shows the depth of this blend, but don't expect to be blown away. It's just very satisfying, as one would expect from a blend of quality components.

I give this 3 stars because after 6 mos, I find myself going for this blend more often. It's very subtle, and is becoming my preferred way to consume burley.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I recommend GL Pease 'Barbary Coast', I have had a bit of bad luck with C & D, On a trip to Arkansas I had Bar-B-Q Possum colon, and I gave it 2 stars!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Haunted Bookshop is the last of the tins from the sampler pack of C and D blends I acquired last year. My feeling with the other seven was that perhaps the blends had not been aged enough, so I let this ripen for a year. The waiting seems to have married the tastes and flavours. The perique is very subtly applied and the basic experience is of burley bass perked up by red virginia. I enjoyed the tin, and would smoke it again if it came my way, but would not go out in search of it.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you enjoy burley, then you owe it to yourself to try HB. Large flakes (like large goldfish food!) with lots of wonderful different colored bits. Cashews, peanuts, walnuts, and some pepper. Nice change of pace from vapers.

aj

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

A nice, mild, unremarkable burley blend. The cubed burly gives it a delightful nutty or pastry-type aroma, though not sweet, if smoked slowly -extremely slowly - otherwise it burns hot and bites a bit.

I certainly fall victim to purchasing tobaccos because of the given names but it rarely makes me presume anything about taste or smoking experience.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Full flavoured, reasonable share of nicotine, and au natural tobacco. Smokes dry and carries cigar notes. Never really builds to hit the zone, but instead caries a consistent woody, unflavoured tobacco thrust all through the bowl. Burns well, and satisfies. Not an all day or everyday smoke for me, but nonetheless worth keeping around. Don't expect a compliment on the aroma, unless outdoors in the wind where it will be diluted since it is a bit sooty.

Le Fumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le Fumeur (10)

Nutty, smooth, and slightly creamy in texture. Lights easily and smokes thoroughly, albeit quickly, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Burley. A nice, relatively mild tobacco that is nice after a large meal.

Jason S. Rundle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason S. Rundle (6)
Overwhelming Strong Full Pleasant

I really wanted to like this one, but I can't. I remember the very first time I smoked this blend, it was with my Big Ben Royal Silver 343 and the combination aroma/flavor really reminded me of what a haunted bookshop would be like. Tastes like it's very high in nicotine content.

However, this blend just leaves me feeling nauseous. The taste reminds me of a cheap version of Prince Albert. I don't like burley, and this stuff has the bitter, sour after taste that made me dump out the remaining bowlful and left me w/ the conclusion that I was never going to visit that book store again.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This blend doesn't do much for me - the burley in the batch I received is quite bland.

The VA comes in, faintly, mid-bowl. The perique does pick it up by the end of the bowl but by then..... it's too late to make this one of my favorites.

Images evoked include sinewy goetic demons, hungering at the edge of a solidly-cast thaumaturgic triangle, never to realize full garrison of their appetite.

Not as good as I had hoped. Bland and reliable. A putzing around the house smoke. I'm finding that Cornell and Diehl bulk blends are becoming a major disappointment. I say that with regret.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

After giving this blend a fair shake now with repeated sampling, I still find that Haunted Bookshop overall just runs too far toward bitter.

Judging by the individual components, this should be working as described, but to me it seems something's out of balance or perhaps competing in this blend. It's from the good and competent folks at Cornell & Diehl, and obviously made of good stuff.

Maybe it's the particular perique and burley interacting in a way that imparts a flavor I do not like; HB is just not suited to my particular tastes, I suppose.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

If Mr. Runowski wanted to do something haunted, he might've added a bit more spice, some balkans and perhaps a surprise or two, like deer tongue or cloves. This didn't haunt me or even put the slightest chill down my spine. An unubiquitous smoke for passing the time when there aren't any good books or good friends around.

Two of five stars

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

When I first took a whiff of Haunted Bookshop in the bag I was taken back to the time when as a very small boy I got my first sniff of Bull Durham tobacco in the purse-string pouch. Burley...the real thing, no casing or flavoring. And that's mostly what Haunted Bookshop is...real, high grade, burley, seasoned only with a little Virginia and perique. The taste is nutty, with a hint of sweetness to start, with a cool burn and no bite. Toward the end of the bowl, it goes a bit bitter, but so it is said, that is the nature of it. For those too young to remember the taste of the grand old burley tobaccos once so prevalent on drugstore shelves, like George Washington, or the original versions of Granger or Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed, try this one.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The pouch aroma is pleasant in grassy hay sort of way like picking dry grass. The mixture a mostly a nutty burley base with the support of red virginias and perque in the scene saying hello to my taste buds and to nose. The leaves mostly yellows and gold and thick The first torch I got a strong whisp of the red virginia and a tickle in my nose from the perque. Before mid bowl the burley starts the party and finishes the party with wishes of a big pipe so that I may enjoy this longer. My wife might tolerate this one so yay!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

You gotta love the name of this tobacco. And I am a big fan of a number of C&D blends. But for me this starts off quite sharpish at the match. It is an acceptable smoke for about two thirds of the bowl; it has a light smokey quality with mild tobacco flavor, but nothing that rings my bell. It does not convey a strong burley flavor. For the last third of the bowl it becomes a bit bitter. It may be that I have been away from this type of burley blend too long and just cannot get into the swing of it. As with all C&D blends, the quality of the tobacco is first rate. It should be worth a try for burley lovers. Paddy.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

Noorrmm and Blevins summed this one up great! Full flavor up front (burley), then the musty perique coming through. I loved Morley's best and tried this one as well. Toss up maybe??!! Whats going to happen to the supply of Perique after Katrina?? If its gone, I guess This would be a very close second. Very good!!

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Ok, Norm summed it up, so I am not going to get into all the minutia of the smoke. I agree with him and most others here.

The reason I am reviewing this is that I generally don?t like Burley blends, at all. However, I like this one a great deal as a diversion from time to time. That is saying a great deal for a Burley blend.

It has none of the cigarette note or extra-sweet flavor I do not like from many Burley blends, but the entire nice nutty flavor with a pleasant sweetness to it that a great Burley should have.

It was a gift from a very kind friend and I am very glad for it. As Norm stated, it smokes well in any pipe, a great tobacco for trips or a long day. Namaste?

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been trying this tobacco out for the last several days and I just haven't hit pay dirt yet. That's not to say I don't like it. The blend is rightly named for the taste is very mysterious.

Many of you will remember when Sears and Roebuck had the peanut and candy counter in their stores. It was a square shaped counter with a salesperson in the center. Do you remember how it smelled when you would walk by? All those peanuts and cashews under the heat lamps smelling so good. To me, the taste and aroma of this blend reminds me most of the way Sears's nut counter smelled. For those of you who do not remember,it smelled good!

The blend is smooth, but the flavour seems to come in and out bringing a nutty, musty, and almost caramel flavour with it. I'll update later on down the road.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Well, it seems this tobacco is very appreciated around here, but I dissent... It has a very nice dark sweetness, and the piquant notes from perique are pleasant too... but I find that the burley used here can turn quite bitter and nasty (like a relit cigar), with a dustiness which can certainly be evocative of an old bookshop filled with old tomes and spiderwebs but which doesn't fit my taste. It's the same bitter cigarishness that I dislike in some other C&D blends!

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This is a pleasant, mild smoke. There is nothing flashy about this blend except for the name. I occasionaly like to smoke this especially when i've been smoking blends that are very assertive in strength and flavor. I find this a nice change of pace compared to some of the more assertive blends that I smoke. This is very natural tasting to me and smokes very cool. This is nutty, lightly sweet, clean and pure. I enjoy this and recommend it.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Like some other reviewers,I had seen the name 'Haunted Bookshop' toosed around quite a bit. I thought I should give it a try. I have enjoyed other Burley based blends in the past, so I had high hopes for Bookshop.

The tobacco was as I expected to see, a bit on the dry side of what you normally find, but trusting to C&D, I left it alone. I'm glad I did - it smoked great the way it was. The cut made it a breeze to load into any size bowl with no fiddling required.

From the charring light to the end, this is a very pleasant, albeit mild and nearly monochromatic smoke. This isn't the stuff to have in your pipe when you sit down to relax and solve all the world's problems. This is more of an all-day type smoke. It doesn't require great concentration, tongue bite never paid a visit to this bookshop, and keeping it lit was pretty automatic.

I did find that the Perique and Va is used very lightly - the Perique always there in the background, while the Va shows up on occasion. Other than that, it's pretty much Burley, with a hint of spice.

A very straightforward blend, with a room note that is extremely light and mild.

Overall, I don't see myself ordering more Bookshop any time soon, but I won't cross it off the list either.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Haunted Bookshop was my first predominandly burley blend. I mostly go for latakia overload or else something vaguely aromatic.

Though also characteristic of a "haunted bookshop" (perhaps more in the lingering mustiness than in the flavor/aroma itself) I also feel this is very much a "country" sort of smoke. I enjoy it outdoors and often times in a corn cob pipe. For someone wanting a straight forward tobacco smoke with a bit of zip to it, it could easily be an all day blend. It very much reminds me (what little I remember)of the straight Burley and drugstore stuff my grandfather smoked in his beloved pipes.

The perique is in just the right amounts for me...a tang and pin-prick, but not enough to make you run for liquids. Though what I enjoy most about this is the light grassiness of the burley/VA compound in both flavor and room note.

It burns well. And bites very little. It leaves a bit of a lingering ghost in the walls and upholstery but not anything that should put off guests (or the S.O.) over the long term.

--UPDATE-- After a few months of maturation, and giving this a go in a cleaner pipe, I've found some additional qualities I both like and dislike. The VA/Perique starts out nice and strong, sweet, fragrant and spicey. The bowls have begun to end up with more of the "stale" and somewhat nasty burley taste that seems to turn so many off to this type of tobacco. I am unfortunately thinking that my Haunted Bookshop has been infested by ghosts of a less benevolent nature.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

I did not like this blend much. This was rather a surprise but to me it seemed a little on the hot side was quite confused for I really like Old Joe Krantz which had simular ingrediants. I suppose this had more of something in it that did not agree with me. I am perplexed.

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Haunted Bookshop is a mixture with a plain, grassy, natural aroma, predominantly from the Burley component. It is composed of mid to light brown leaf, and IMO the Perique and the Virginias are very lightly applied. Compared to many bulk tobaccos, this one comes fairly dry in the pouch, smokes very dry (not stale) and clean, and has an overall nutty and slightly piquant bouquet. I must say this is my first experiment with a Cornell and Diehl blend, and I was very impressed by the quality and excellent craftsmanship of Haunted Bookshop. Packing it in a rusticated medium size Savinelli Octavia was quite simple, and it took the initial light gracefully and immediately. A very cool and dry smoked followed, with that intriguing though rather dulled Burley flavour, alleviated by the somewhat impish presence of the Perique and the smooth, sugarless variety of matured Virginia. There were no surprising twists throughout the smoke, the flavour remaining consistent. Only had to relight almost at the end of the bowl, after DGT. Though I did enjoy this tobacco, I did not find anything particularly extraordinary about it, nor did it remind me of any bookshop, haunted or not. Rather, it projected a country like feeling, as if in open fields. Pardon me for saying so, but IMO this tobacco can be seen either as a sophisticated and highly upgraded version of Prince Albert, or as an unsweetened and brandy less version of Barbary Coast. The Burley here is superior than the variety used in PA, but not as rich and smooth as the one employed by G.L. Pease. All in all a very good quality smoke, light and simple, quite along the lines of Larsen?s Kentucky Gold, though not as strong.

Solar Pons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Solar Pons (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

If McClellands is the master of Virginia leaf, then surely C&D is the master of burley. Part of Craig Tarler's success is his willingness to work with the amateur blender to develop a range of blends for a multitude of tastes. Haunted Bookshop is one such blend.

The darker burleys dominate this blend. The Virginias hold it together, while the perique is a subtle note in the background. This blend is easy to light and clean burning. The flavor increases towards the bottom of the bowl. This is best smoked in a large bowl.