A predominantly burley mixture with a touch of red Virginia and perique.

Notes: Another of the late Bob Runowski's blends, named in honor of the famous novel written by Christopher Morley, Haunted Bookshop is a burley and Virginia blend with just a touch of perique.

Blended ByBob Runowski
Strength
Taste

2.7
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

You'd better like nutty, earthy, dry, woody, unflavored bold burley with a light rough edge and hint of spice, or you won't like this even a little bit. The red Virginia adds a very light dark fruit sweetness and earth, but it's hardly a major player in this blend. The perique is strong and plentiful and adds a strong nic hit along with a very good pepper and plum taste, so don't smoke it on an empty stomach. Not an all day smoke, but if you want a strong burley with kick, it'll satisfy. Burns well with a consistent flavor, but puff slowly or risk a cigarette-like, ashy taste. Leaves no moisture in the bowl. The room note is pungent, and won't make your relatives happy, but if you don't like them, this will increase your enjoyment.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

I initially wanted to try this blend because of the name, and have since become a fan of both Cristopher Morley (the author of the book for which the blend is named), and Bob Runowski (the originator of the blend.) Normally, I prefer Virginias, and Latakia blends, but this Burley impressed me greatly.

Appearance: Predominantly medium reddish color, with a fair amount of lighter leaf, and a small percentage of darker tobacco. The cut is random, with some cube-cut apparent. A bit drier than most blends, but perfect for my taste in that area. I usually have to let most tobaccos dry out a bit before I can enjoy them.

Aroma: Mostly a clean, nutlike and slightly sweet aroma, with a trace of ?mustiness?. This is probably the perique?s characteristic aroma

Packing: Packs easily by just dropping it into the bowl a pinch at a time. No special care seemed to be necessary. Packs easily in different size pipes.

Lighting: Lights easily, sometimes one match does it. A little tamp in mid match, and it?s ready

Initial flavor: I taste the Burley mostly in this blend at the beginning, (which means more body than flavor), pleasant and natural. Stays lit well even at a slow burn rate.

Mid-bowl: Flavor develops nicely, with a cigar characteristic. NO, not a big Cuban or Dominican, more like a small dry cigar in the Dutch or German style.

Finish: Finishes pretty much like the middle, without a gurgle. Leaves a clean, gray ash.

Tried in the following pipes: I tried this first in an old pair of Rhodesians: a Parker Goldenbark, and a Savinelli Punto Oro. Next, I tried it a pair of Peterson Barrels, and a fresh corn cob. (I know, should have tried it in the cob first). Also smoked in a Sasieni billiard

Summary: This is Prince Albert with an attitude, and without the casing. If you like a natural Burley base with just a little condiment, this should be excellent.

Particularly liked: The cut, the burning qualities, the honest flavor. An excellent all-day smoke that will even work in the evening.

Particularly disliked: Nothing. I would like a little more red virginia (I always do), and a dash more perique.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I see that the overwhelming majority of reviewers here enjoy Haunted Bookshop, and I can certainly understand why. With focus on enhancing "pedestrian" Burley leaf, I think C&D has found a niche. Pennington Gap and Old Joe Kranz were winners in my book and Haunted Bookshop works for me too.

Haunted Bookshop's robust Burley taste has been elevated by a smidgen of Perique and a delicate touch of Virginia. This one is more sweet than bitter and more heavy than light. Although not at the level I enjoy most, the nicotine content is recognized with no problem either. As is the case with most Burley blends, Haunted Bookshop is an extremely cool burning smoke with no bite to it.

I finished my tin in a week and will seek more in the future.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Another favorite from C & D and Bob Runowski. This is a codger burley with an attitude. Not so powerful as Old Joe Krantz (which I also love), but but with enough juju to kick your butt if you're not careful. And that's being said by an ex-cigarette smoker. It's a great tobacco to just sit and enjoy without trying to figure anything out about it. Simply sit down, light your pipe, and relax. It is what it is... and I think it's superb.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Prince Albert fans will probably love this. Burleyphiles probably will as well. The rest of us... um... perhaps, perhaps not.

The high quality leaf gives this an extra star from me, but frankly I find little going on here. Very cigarette-like in flavor, the burley overwhelms to the point where the virginia and perique are barely noticeable. The taste doesn't change its shape as the smoke progresses unless it's to become harsher. It's a lot like smoking hot air (which might be what reviewer Old Puffer meant when he said strong but dull, or words to that effect).

The blend is not cantankerous in the least, and smokes fairly easily down the bowl with no tongue bite. I guess as predominantly a virginia and VaPer smoker, I'm just used to a lot more complexity. There is something to be said about a tobacco that doesn't demand much of a smokers taste buds, however - something comforting, perhaps. It's just that when one averages only about 10 bowls per week, perhaps something with a little more personality is required. At least for me. With tobaccos, as with most things in life, your mileage may vary. I'm going to add a dash of blending perique to this and see if I can spice it up a bit.

UPDATE 1/21/10

As I become more enamored of burley and try different blends, this one needs to be elevated from 2 to 3 stars. This is a great take on the American OTC blends and is something I'll return to occasionally. The complexity I mentioned above... well, I'm not sure complexity is the point here. I think this is just a nice, tasty, interesting bowl of tobacco that one could smoke all day if one were so inclined - and I think that was true of most of the old OTC burleys. Good stuff!

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (18)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A very American blend with a very English name. Well, "haunted bookshop" sounds very English to me, anyway. Here in America, people don't really read. It'd be like "haunted Walmart" or something.

I struggled with this blend. When I first tried it years ago, I thought it was too strong, so thought "Well, I don't really like strong tobaccos." I mean strong, robust, LOUD, as in flavor.

This has turned out not to be true. I love many very robust pipe tobaccos. Byzantium, also by C & D, is one of my faves.

Then I thought it has too much vitamin N for me, which also has turned out not to be true. I enjoy many blends these days that have a bigger kick.

I thought maybe I didn't like burleys: not true. I thought maybe I didn't like burley and perique together: not true.

In other words, I was trying to blame my lack of enjoyment of this tobacco on myself, on my tastes, but what it boils down to is that I don't like Haunted Bookshop because it is poorly done. Musty, stout, heady, spicy, dark, full--and very unbalanced.

You would think this blend would work and be delightful, but it just doesn't. Of course, as with everything on Tobacco Reviews YMMV.

It's a blend that tries to be 'rustic' and thinks 'rustic' means lacking any and all subtlety or nuance, and being completely off balance.

The same thinking that creates these modern craft beers with stupid, ridiculous levels of hoppiness also created Haunted Bookshop.

Cool name, though.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

it is Burley--that's what the blender meant to showcase--the other tobaccos play a seasoning role-- the Perique is noticeable a bit into the bowl --not quite as much Perique as OJK--

it packs well, lights easily, and i rarely have to relight until down to the dregs in the bowl--

i can't decide if Haunted Book Shop or OJK is my favorite, so i have stocked up on both

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)

Tin note: bread dough on a bale of alfalfa hay. Great quality old time tobacco in the rough. I recommend preening this stuff before you pack your pipe. Charring light is best done slowly (it is chunky). Behaves nicely after the relight. Sweeter and milder than Old Joe Krantz (a daily smoke for me). I'm used to a lot of Perique, so there's just enough to keep me interested but some folks will be timid here. This would be a great blend for someone who wants to walk down the perique pathway; you'll be hooked and moving on to the hot sauce. This blend builds a surprisingly heavy cap of very fine ash, so break though instead of relighting and you'll get a cooler, sweeter smoke to the bottom of the bowl. I agree that Haunted is a bit milder than OJK; instead of bricks on the chest you get a hickup and a buzz. A very respectable medium strength/medium bowl blend. Leaves the pipe clean and dry. Another great American tobacco from C&D!

Pipe Used: MM PATRIOT COB

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Haunted Bookshop.

I'd wanted to try this ever since I first saw Matches860 (John Harden) on YouTube highly praising it; the way he smokes it with his lovely story telling skill highly implored me towards it. Sadly though, in the U.K. it's unavailable so I was enthralled when I got in touch with Gentleman Zombie and he very kindly did me a trade; thanks Franck, you've made an Englishman's day! I wanted to wait a few day's rather than imminently reviewing it, but I couldn't wait anymore so had to put some words to it today! Enough babbling, on with the review:

The course cut mixture is perfect in the department of moisture, it can be smoked straight from the tin. The aroma from the tin is nothing great or spectacular; what'd you expect from the tobacco's used though? I gravity feed my bowl and, then, like a kid in a sweetshop, light her up! What a smoke: I find it has a nicely rounded flavour, with the Kentucky and Burley leading. I can't get much flavour from the Virginia but I must admit that the Perique is a little stronger than I anticipated; I don't mean it's a 'Perique Prodigy', but it's a great strength to embellish the smoke without taking full control. The actual burn?...very, very, good; I can't add anymore to that subject! The nicotine's about medium; again, there's not much more to say. Room note? Very pleasant; once again, to finish succinctly, that's about all I'll say about that!

This is a very nice blend, Highly recommended; thanks Franck!

Four stars.

Update: having enjoyed this blend so much I decided to read its namesake; Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley. This is a must read for any book and pipe lover. It just compels the reader to settle down to a good book with a relaxing bowl!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Pipe Of The Year 2016

Purchased From: Trade

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tobacco that I got 4 oz. of and never reviewed. I ended up buying a pound, so that makes it a 3.5 in my book.

Edit 1/1/17 I have now smoked three pounds of this.

The pouch note is a musty, slightly agricultural note from the perique. It takes a match well and is an easy smoke.

This one is a cousin of OJK, and it has a very good flavor profile. It is a hearty earthy and slightly bitter burley experience. The Kentucky and the perique present as spicy, although the perique could be adding to the sweet. That sweet could be the Virginia too, but I am not getting any of the distinctive Virginia flavors. They just contribute a little to the burley. I don't detect any topping. There is a distinctive slight tingle to the tongue after a bowl that I attribute to the Kentucky.

OJK for me is more of a special occasion smoke - like after dinner. It is a mouthful of flavor and comes with a nicotine punch. I like the stuff, but I don't just fly through a pound of it. I could not smoke OJK all day as much as I might want to. Haunted Bookshop is more of an all day smoke for my palate, but I like burley and don't mind a little of the vitamin N.

It is a solid recommendation. If you like burley, it is really a 4.

Pipe Used: everything on the rack - cobs sing with this!

Age When Smoked: fresh from C&D

This was gifted by a good friend. Thanks D.

This is a really nice smoke. The Kentucky leads with it's earthy, spicy, very mildly nutty, and very lightly smoky flavors. There is also a very clear nutty note that can only be coming from a standard Burley. That note is most evident in the first half but can be detected throughout the bowl. The Perique adds just a slight amount of flavor and some spice. The Virginias add sweetness and little else. It's a smooth smoke that I find very pleasant. I can't find a single reason why I shouldn't give it 4 stars.

Medium in body. I detect no added flavoring. Taste is medium to full. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: gifted

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Haunted Bookshop has been on my top five tobacco list for years now. Hell, it may be on my top three. Christopher Morley may well have been the last author to write about and so evocatively depict a lost glory days of American pipe smoking, and Bob Runowski was among the last blenders to continue to evoke it into our own time. I'm glad that C&D has the good sense to continue to produce and distribute Mr Runowski's concoctions, because few if any other companies even remotely bother with this kind of mixture anymore.

Think of Haunted Bookshop as a boutique codger burley and you will get some idea of it. It's mostly burley, and it's a bitter, powerful, almost cigar like burley at that. Some people might be put off by how the strong, ashy, burley is almost reminiscent of cigarette tobacco. The rough and chunky little squares and ribbons of Haunted Bookshop, however, assure that this is a slow burner easily ladled into any size pipe.

The fact that the strong burley leaf is of the highest quality should satisfy enough people, but, as I must always remind myself, there are people who desire something more than burley in their pipes. To round out the sooty bitterness, there's some very nice red Virginia in here as well. The sweetness that the red Virginia furnishes is rather minuscule, I'll admit. The Virginia is there, but it's almost like taking a bite of biscotti along with your unsweetened Italian espresso.

The only reprieve from the earthy wood and hay like sweetness that will otherwise dominate the flavor profile comes from the perique. As is to be expected with perique, though, it more adds to a level of depth and complexity already to be found, so don't expect this blend to let up on you as you smoke it. In my experience, perique can transform a grassy, earthy blend into something more like an old fashioned spice cake with dried raisins and figs. A deep, oily sweetness that certainly doesn't make this any easier on someone unused to strong tobacco.

Does it smell good? No. Not unless you like the smell of tobacco not pretending to be anything else. Does it taste good? Yes, but only if you want strong, assertive, monochromatic burley blandness wright there in the foreground and never relenting. Will I smoke it again? Well, I've smoked Haunted Bookshop since I was a much younger man; it may well have been the first blend that showed me what burley can do in a pipe. I'm smoking the last of a 500 gr tin right now. All I need to decide now is if I'm going to order my next 500 gr now or a little while later.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars, and meerschaums

Similar Blends: Old Joe Krantz, Prince Albert, Five Bros..

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I had a healthy sample of this given to me by a fellow forum member. It is similar to OJK, but maybe a little lighter in body. Little by a small increment as it is still a pretty heavy burley, but it stops well short of overwhelming. It is pretty typical of a number of C & D blends and, although I enjoyed it more than OJK, it didn't really stand out as something I would rant and rave about.

As it is a vaburper, it wouldn't even jump up into the top 5 that I would recommend in the genre. It may seem like I didn't like it. Lets just say, I didn't dislike it. Overall I would say, I will likely not be buying more. I think my preference with blends that contain these elements leans to those heavier in the Virginia element (HOTW, Strang, LBF) rather than the burley, or even Perique dominated. This, like most C&D blends is burley dominant and the perique is pretty strong too, but not as much as in OJK. And definitely not as overwhelming as Burley Flake 3.

Similar Blends: OJK.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

You would expect a pipe tobacco named Haunted Bookshop to smell musty. You would expect a pipe tobacco named Haunted Bookshop to taste musty. Cornell & Diehl's Haunted Bookshop does in fact smell and taste musty. This pipe tobacco is a solid offering for burley-philes.

Open the can (or bag, it is also available in bulk) and you find a reddish mixture of tobacco which also displays some specks both lighter and darker. The cut is varied, partially small cubes and partially ribbons. Sniff it and you get a bready and musty smell, not at all different from what you would find in a used bookshop, haunted or otherwise.

Haunted Bookshop loads easily and offers no challenge in getting a good light. I find no difficulty in maintaining the light throughout the smoke, and only very occasionally need a relight. Unless you puff vigorously the burn rate is slow. The pipe produces heavy clouds of white smoke, and burns to a dry ash with almost no dottle. Few tobaccos offer less challenge for tongue bite than this one.

The basis for the blend is burley,supplemented by Kentucky (smoked burley), red Virginia, and perique. The burley/Kentucky dominate with a nutty, musty taste, offering a full but nevertheless mellow smoke. The perique is obvious, although not strong, but the Virginia lurks in the background.

The room note is pleasant enough, natural tobacco, but without the sweetness that wins compliments from non smokers. In fact, the aroma is not unlike a non filtered cigarette. The nicotine punch is medium to medium plus. Haunted Bookshop is sometimes labelled as Old Joe Krantz Lite in reference to its C&D sibling which consists of the same tobaccos. OJK has a similar, but fuller taste, and a considerably brawnier nicotine hit.

Haunted Bookshop does not ghost your pipes. As a consequence you do not have to be too careful as to which pipe you smoke it in. Nevertheless, I most often use a cob, as cobs and burleys mate well together.

Few smokers who really enjoy burleys will fail to find this a satisfactory offering. Those who primarily smoke latakia, aromatic, Virginia, or Virginia/perique blends, but who also use burleys as a change of pace will most likely find HB a perfectly good smoke, although most will not put it on their keep-in-stock list

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Supposedly there's VA in here somewhere...can't prove it by me. The Perique comes through with a bit of pepper and of course the nicotine punch in the jewels, but taste-wise for me, this blend is all Burley. Really good Burley though.

You really need to like Burley to like Haunted Bookshop I think. I don't think this blend would be a good choice if you just want to dip your toe into burley blends. The nicotine content is pretty high so if you're sensitive to that just beware and like most big burleys you need to puff this slowly. If you don't it just tastes like a cigarette and what fun is that? The other thing is the room note...it doesn't seem to be popular. Probably too much like cigarette smoke.

Keeping all that in mind though, I'd still give this 3 stars. If strong, earthy, nutty natural burley is your thing, this blend should work for you.

Pipe Used: Mostly cobs, a few briars

Age When Smoked: Tin fresh

Purchased From: SPC

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I would have to say this might have been my first introduction to VaPer burley type blends.

The tin note is identical to a box of raisin bran. The nuttiness of the "flakes" comes from the rich brown burley, and the "raisins" from the sweet Va. The perique adds a distinct mustiness to the bookshop. Packing and lighting is as easy as it gets. Easy on the tongue, never wants to bite.

Volumes of tart, white smoke envelope you in your favorite smoking chair.

JSimpson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JSimpson (3)

Haunted Bookshop. It has taken me the longest time to review this tobacco, it is my personal all time favourite - for many reasons. Favorite of m860 and based on a book by Christopher Morley it holds a special place in my heart. How can I love a tobacco so much? When there are plenty more that taste more appealing? I am not a fan of perique tobacco, and it is quite detectable in this blend, although I love burley and the perique really brings out the nuttiness.

Burns extremely fast, and contains lots of chunks of unbroken flakes, but it is so easy to keep lit. I can feel when it needs a tamp, or the ash dumping, or a pipe cleaner in the stem, and for this reason it is my favourite for taking outside to smoke - pretty much hassle free, strong enough on windy days and nearly lights itself!

The first time I tasted it I remember saying to myself how "savoury" it tasted, and I had never tried a blend like it. I was expecting something sweeter. However as time has passed I feel it does have an almost sickly-sweet taste at times which is indescribable. Definitely unique and very pleasant.

Nicotine hits fast and hard from around middle of the bowl, but I often get an ultimate/nirvana smoke from HB, and I attribute that to the nicotine content, very relaxing and satisfying.

In my opinion, it is best smoked in a corn cob, I have a Great Dane pretty much dedicated to it. Charred rim, tanned in color, stem a little too loose after much abuse, but for me Haunted Bookshop and my favourite corn cob pipe are two of my very best friends.

Pipe Used: Mostly a cob

Age When Smoked: Less than 6 months

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Jamey S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jamey S (9)

Just from smelling this one unlit, you know you're in for a ride. Now, I'm not a fan of ribbon cut. I usually find it too light for my Single-Malt-Addicted pallet. But this blend… It works… Lighting it reveals how burley should feel like. It bites just a bit (which I like), just to remind you the fact that you're having a pipe right now. The taste is earthy, nutty and rich – but not fermented and cigar like which means that it's just the right amount of Perique. Behind all that hides a sweetness, so mild that you'd need to meditate to detect. The right amount of Virginias. Pretty quickly, after a few tamp, flavor develops and balances. The body rounds up a bit and right there I moved to the breath method to enjoy the mid-bowl properly. The nicotine content in this one is mild-medium.. Didn't knock me off my chair, but also didn't really got that itch... It's a good blend for mid-day, but lack some nicotine for my taste.

Now, I love this blend but note that it's on the heavy side. Many pipers I know found it too heavy (which is good for me, since I got their batch), so I'd recommend trying a sample or a 1 oz batch before acquiring a stock of it.

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog #124

Age When Smoked: 0

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

The ratios, it's all about the ratios. Whereas Old Joe Krantz is quite heavy on the perique, Haunted Bookshop is more balanced and won't develop rough edges because of this. All things being equal, I'd have HB any time over OJK. The nutty properties of this tobacco are more apparent here than in OJK. The problem with OJK is the perique will take over soon, and this will push back the burley properties of this tobacco. About HB, the main role of the burley leaf is not to add support, or to improve the burning properties of the blend. Burley leaf is rather added as the main component; this blend is all about the burley. There is nothing worth mentioning about the tin note, it just smells of tobacco, but if you like burleys you will probably find the smoking experience out of this world. Sadly enough, it tends to burn faster than expected, but it smokes quite cool in your bowl. The perique leaf appears to transition from tangy to peppery in the last quarter of your bowl, which is something to be expected. As for the nicotine content, it is still high, I'd say, but nowhere near OJK anyway. I think they call this blend HB because of the musty properties it develops as you progress with your smoke, but I say this in a good way. Yes, this tobacco ticks so many boxes for me, so it is going to get a rating of 4 stars.

(Edit 17/11/2017) PS. It looks as though they've named this tobacco "Haunted Bookshop" in honor of a novel written by Christopher Morley.

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (19)

I've somewhat put off reviewing this blend for a long time, for lack of how best to word my review. Haunted Bookshop is one of my favorite blends, and a regular staple of my piping. A perfectly blended Burley centric blend with just a small dash of Virginia and a smaller dash of Perique to balance. I almost never tire of smoking it, and can smoke it all day. Runowski was a master blender with everything he touched, preferring to center on Burley and old world style American tobaccos. Just a straight forward Burley blend with a dash of zest from the other two components and done to perfection. Best in a medium sized bowl. Great in a cob. I worry when I get down to only a few pounds remaining on hand.

Pipe Used: Every pipe. Sings in cob or medium size briar.

Age When Smoked: Great fresh, only gets better with age.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Other Runowski Burley blends. As many say, the Runowski trifecta of blends are Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, and Pegasus. Don't forget to try Shandygaff, Big n Burley, Morley's Best and his others as well..

idbowman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
idbowman (26)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

No. Just no.

Look, I wanted to like this tobacco - a simple burley with a bit of perique...it SHOULD be an easy, all-day kind of smoker. I just can't drag anything worthwhile out of this blend. The first few puffs are nice - mild, nutty, dusty, a bit of spice - exactly what I'd hoped. Then things go south.

No matter what I smoke it in, no matter how I pack it, no matter how I pace it, it turns into a sour (and not in the good, burley sour, kind of way) and muddy mess. It develops a very ashtray-like quality and becomes very unpleasant.

Old Joe Krantz is a much better version of HB, provided you like extra perique. If you're not a big perique fan, there are plenty of other burley-forward blends that satisfy for more than this one.

Pipe Used: Briars, Cobs, Meers

doc pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc pipes (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend made the perfect addition to my autumn smoking rotation. It is a robust and distinctive blend that is well suited to the changing, cooling weather. It is mainly burley spiced with undisclosed quantities of VA and Perique. Cut flake, what appears to be dark fired cube cut, and an assortment of wide cut ribbon comprise this blend. It is full bodied and bold with a largely musty character, evoking images and remembrances of having been in old/abandoned buildings. Perhaps thinking about hundred year old books does better service or characterizing the mustiness. In any case, the "must" is pleasant. I'm not sure whether the earthy/musty character derives from the perique or from one of the various burleys. There is some sourness that makes fleeting background appearances (white burley?). The VA does add some underlying sweetness that ebbs and flows. There is a persistently black peppery character that is present throughout the experience, and is never overpowering, but most notable on the retrohale. This is quite a strong smoke that stands up to and complements black coffee. Having something on one's stomach is recommended when smoking this wonderful blend. The smell that I caught on the sidestream reminds me of the smell in the room after my grandfather smoked one of his Camel unfiltered cigarettes. Again, this may sound unpleasant to some, but wonderful in my view. Others have described a similar non offensive and earthy aroma.

Pipe Used: Rattray Marlin and Highland billiards

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Similar Blends: nothing I have ever tasted.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is another Burley Mixture from Cornell and Diehl. For me, I note only the Burley and the Perique, but not the Virginia. Is somewhat good, decent, I like, but is clearly inferior to other Burley based tobaccos as: Butternut Burley and Old Joe Krantz. 2 Stars.

Pipe Used: some, Brazilian made pipes

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: TabacosBR,Brazil

Similar Blends: Prince Albert - Prince Albert, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Mixture No.79, Cornell & Diehl - 126: Old Joe Krantz, pipesandcigars.com - Scotty's Butternut Burley.

Revised 03-01-2006 I have been having a love affair with this blend lately. I don't know why, but I just can't leave this blend alone. This affair started after I got over a cold and began to smoke again. So, I have upgraded to 4 stars... Go get some now! Original Review: Appearance and Tin Aroma: Man, this stuff smells like a good fortified hay. Beautiful multi-cut of cubes of burley, square cut, bright yellow VA, red VA, Brown Kentucky, and specks of St. James Parish' finest.

Packing and Lighting: As with most C&D blends, the moisture is perfect. Open tin, pack and light. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: A wonderful, complex symphony of Burley. A little sharp at the beginning, so start slowly.

Mid Bowl: This is burley nirvana! Round, mellow, full flavor. The Perique is but an occassional splash (which I prefer).

Bottom of Bowl:Strength builds nicely, the Perique asserts itself a little more, but never obtrusively. No bitterness if your puffing pace was kept slow. Ash that is left is grey and dry.

Overall: This is a delicious burley blend. IMO, no one does Burley blends like C&D. This is my favorite Burley blend period. This is still an ocassional smoke for me and a tin usually lasts me about 3mo.s, but I always have a couple of tins in the cellar. Definitely recommended...

BurleyBhuddist860 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyBhuddist860 (1)

Bob hit the nail on the head with the perfect proportions of each tobacco to make in my opinion, one of the best burley blends on the market. This is my go to daily smoke. It is a blend that you can never really get too tired of. Has the perfect amount of nicotine and burns without a problem any day. Highly recommend to anyone who wants a natural smoke.

Pipe Used: Mostly Savinellis, various other briars and cobs

Similar Blends: Old Joe Krantz , Riverboat Gambler.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Another C&D blend of rather crude, high nicotine burleys. I can't understand why people can like this blend. Despite it's whole grain character with slight tang and fruit from the trace amount of perique and red virginia, the taste is just acrid and ash. I have smoked much smoother whole leaf burley than this stuff and I have to wonder where they are getting this leaf from and why choose it to blend with. There are much better choices with smoother taste for those looking for a robust non-flue cured tobacco i.g. Tabac Manil Semois, G&H/SG dark-fired shags, ropes, flakes, Five Brothers. Despite coming in a tin there is nothing premium about this product and definately is not worth the typical price for such a pathetic blend of unrefined and crude burley.

Similar Blends: C&D Burley Flakes.

Cold Comfort Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cold Comfort (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I'll preface this review by stating that I tend towards VaPers, Orientals, and some aromatics. I don't mind burley at all, but prefer it way in the back of the bus. This has clearly influenced how I feel about Haunted Bookshop.

I wanted to really like this blend, but it is just rather blah. The tin note is earthy, with that classic tobacco smell - oddly, I do get some licorice notes in there. The taste is med, but (IMO) lacked any depth or imagination. It starts out tricking you into thinking that this might be a nice experience, but is soon replaced by an ashy, heavy taste that just never stops. I'll admit there are these little moments where it tries to seduce you again - but don't be fooled!

The room note is somewhere between leafy detritus, and a homeless man smoking a butt he found on the road. If you have a partner, don't to expect to get any compliments on how awesome it smells - trust me, you'll be outside and on your tod.

It packs well, lights well, and stays that way for pretty much the whole bowl. Please don't let my experience put you off, but if you are like me, don't say I didn't warn ya'.

Pipe Used: Vauen 1014

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a 2 oz. bulk of Haunted Bookshop to try out. I really enjoyed the tobacco, although I did not buy more yet. It consists of a couple different genres that I like to smoke all in one tobacco. It has a deep burley taste with a Va/Per twang & kick.

In the bag it has an earthy barn-like quality with a little spice note. Upon initial light I got a bit of a harshness that died down as I smoked. It was ready to go from the minute I opened the bag, no dry time needed & stayed lit very easy. I got some bite when I got overzealous, but that helped me to slow down & enjoy all of the flavor profiles. There's a good dose of perique mixed with a decent burley flavor rounded out with a touch virginia in the background. It burns down to the bottom of the bowl with very little dottle if any. The room note is not something a non-smoker will enjoy, but will wow tobacco lovers for sure.

For me it is definitely a strong full tasting tobacco, but not too overwhelming if taken slowly. It's best to smoke after a meal, the nic will get ya if you're not used to it. Overall it's a good smoke, but not something I can smoke all day.

Pipe Used: assorted MM cobs & hardwoods

Age When Smoked: fresh to a few months old

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

In the bag, along with some rich, earthy scent, there is a definite whiff of something added. As the tobacco undergoes a little needed dry time, the scent dissipates. At first light, there’s a sharpness to Haunted Bookshop that I didn’t like. But it quickly settled down with a lot of nut, and earthy flavor from the Burley. I am with Pipestud on this one in that it is a bit pedestrian, but not poor. The red Virginia adds a touch of sweetness and there is more than enough Perique, but not overpowering. I am convinced that there is a manually, albeit very lightly added sweetness to HB. Since most Burley has some sort of casing in the processing, it may be just that. All of this comes together rather well as this is a flavorful smoke. There isn’t a lot of complexity and I don’t find it as strong as some have claimed, but I tend to smoke higher nicotine blends so your mileage may vary. I think that proper cadence is really important to get the most from this blend as a warmer bowl detracts from the flavor a bit, although it never turns bitter. Although I am not an everyday Burley smoker, I could easily see Haunted Bookshop as an all-day blend for Burley lovers, especially at HB's bulk price.

bent_bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent_bulldog (4)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this blend, I decided to try it after trying Pegasus and loving it. There is an earthy, musty, comforting Burley base to the flavor of this tobacco, over which the Perique provides some spicy highlights. There's enough sweetness from the Virginia, I find this blend has a great melding of the flavors into one delicious treat.

It does pack a nicotine punch and if I pack to big of a bowl, I'm likely to end up woozy.

Pipe Used: Savinelli poker, author, cobs

SydPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SydPiper (5)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As a long time smoker of Haunted Bookshop I highly recommend it for those seeking an extremely well mixed Burley Blend. It can easily become an all day smoke without wearing your tongue out.

Pipe Used: Brair and Cobs

Age When Smoked: 6 months to 5 years.

JAnder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JAnder (2)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a great Burley blend with just the right amount of Perique. Something very familiar tasting to ex-cigarette smokers. This is easily an every day blend. This is very similar to Old Joe Krantz, but with a little less Perique, I believe. Its dry out of the bag, lights easy and stays lit. I find that it burns pretty quick and will often need to reload since it can be gone before you know it.

finding this blend kept me in the hobby. I had started with Virginians and Latakia blends, but just wasn't feeling it. After really discovering Burley, I found this blend which was my real first all-day, go-to pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson Castle 606, Peterson 120 Irish Army Mount

Age When Smoked: new from distributor

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz, Cornell & Diehl - Burley Flake #1.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Burley-esque in character and flavor--very straight-forward A little soft nuttiness, like butternuts Some sweetness in the top half; bitterness grows as the smoke progresses, but never becomes a distraction or reaches an unpleasant level. Somewhat musty tasting and a bit dusky in character. Only enough Virginia to temper some of the bitterness inherent in Burley. Perique adds some body and earth to the flavor. Not too complex, but interesting. Produces a fair amount of smoke which is just a bit sharp. Well-mannered and civil enough for short-stemmed pipes. Ample nicotine strength.

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)

This mixture is not my cup of tea, it was too harsh for my taste. I think it taste somewhat cigar´ish but not in a good way, more like a 1$ cigar from the gas station. But in other hand I also found that the taste was a little nutty in the background, which I liked. But that did not weigh up to the taste of cheap cigar

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

The flavor jumps around pretty nicely.

I don't taste the burley so "up front" throughout the bowl as most reviews have noted.

I taste the Va within all the time and it is the dominant weed in the first third. Burley does come through more there after and is the main character with perigue giving that pepper and fruit flavor in-and-out like a non-perique dominated smoke should, this blend progresses very nicely.

Nice tobacco and a blend I can see smoldering in some pipes all day.

I have smoked "fresh" and currently a tin I opened with 3 1/2 years age. I feel the aged tin has a more Va feel, but don't think this is one you must age to be satisfied. "beeftip" sums it up quite nicely.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I consider the three C&D blends of Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop and Riverboat Gambler to be closely related family members. However, I consider Riverboat Gambler to be the best of all three because, for me, it combines the best of the other two and then some!

Haunted Bookshop is a delightful and very mild blend. Virtually a non-aromatic. The extremely light topping strikes me as possibly just a touch of Anise. I consider it a non-aro. I enjoy the quality leaf, the easy light and comfortable smoke it delivers. I do highly recommend it. But you should also try the other two as well or you will be missing something.

This is an excellent blend for Burley lovers but it has a bit more character than a pure Burley. This is something that I welcome in a blend of this type.

Enjoy it. It could be an easy all day smoke if you are looking for one. It is a good investment and will likely not let you down.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

INTRO: Burley is such a versatile creature. I think of it as the rice of tobaccos. Alone it is nutty, full, creamy and higher in nicotine than its condimental counterparts. Used properly in a blend it will take on any flavor thrown at it like a chameleon running across paint swatches. When used improperly, it is bitter, harsh and just plain nasty. Haunted Bookshop is one of those blends where prime leaf is used and used very well. The burley base retains much of its nutty flavors yet gets along very nicely with the red Virginia and Perique.

CAUTION: The cut is rather fine and upon inspection the visual appearance looks like something you would see in a little jar of seasoning. Due to this cut, I have noticed a lot of "dust" in the tins which makes packing tedious as one tends to get tiny particles of tobacco in the mouth when testing the draw and lighting up. Lightly shaking the tin helps to settle a lot of the finer particles which helps to avoid having a sandstorm hit your tongue.

CHARACTERISTICS: Haunted Bookshop burns faster than most other blends. It also makes a lot of powdery ash that usually requires dumping halfway through the bowl. Tamp this tobacco lightly and you should have no problems. It burns dry, bites very little and leaves the pipe clean. It will "color" your pipe on the first bowl so avoid trying this in a favorite pipe to avoid ghosts.

SMOKING: On the initial light you taste the cigar-like flavor of the burley and Perique. Throughout the bowl the cigar flavor trades places with the subtle sweetness of the red Virginia. The nutty flavors are there and the prune-like presence of the Perique speaks its voice each time you sip it softly. When puffed hard the burley flexes some muscle and you get a big bold bass note with a sidekick of nicotine.

SUMMARY: This blend is similar in the vein of "Old Joe Krantz" but with more high notes, sweetness and less nicotine. It is strong enough to satisfy a nicotine craving, yet light enough to be enjoyed all day.

Haunted Bookshop is a natural blend reminiscent of the old-school blends of a time when a man came home to a clean house, a hot meal and a happy family. No fancy tricks here, just good honest tobaccos skillfully put together to form a delightful and relaxing smoke. Well done!

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)

Like one or two of my fellow Haunted Bookshop reviewers, I first read Mr. Morley?s book The Haunted Bookshop while firing up a bowl (or five) of this distinguished Cornell & Diehl creation. I found the combination enchanting. Even if one doesn?t care for burley blends, I highly recommend this charming book. I got my 2-ounce pouch as bulk, and opened the rather industrial poly bag to be greeted with a dusty nutty burley aroma. The stuff was dry! I was worried, but I packed it carefully into a 50?s vintage Algerian briar Wilke Author, (promotion number two: One can still have one of these from Carole Burns at Pipeworks & Wilke ? she found an unsmoked stash of many of the old shapes and is offering them on the P&W website), and the mixture of chunky cube cut and ribbon cut loaded without trouble for a fine draw.

Initial light took two tries, which was surprising considering the dryness, but cubes usually take the match gently. The ensuing smoke was voluminous, cool, and richly nutty with a very slight sweetness. This is strictly a natural blend. Most gratifying! There was not much variance from this flavor until mid-bowl.

The last half of the bowl was as dry, cool, and ashy as the hero of the book. This is a good burley, and what little Virginia is present lends suppleness to the finish of the smoke that shores up the usual final sag in flavor that is often characteristic of even the best burley,

I was surprised by the seemingly low amount of nicotine in this tobacco. Though the last few draws gave me a bit of spiciness at the back of the palate, I found myself without the little buzz I would have expected from a mostly burley blend.

This is not a complex mélange of more than two or three flavors, so it is great for smoking while one is otherwise occupied ? presumably reading ? but it leaves one satisfied and somehow refreshed. Another masterwork of creative blending from Cornell & Diehl, simply and elegantly executed. Good stuff!

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is PA with the gloves off. The new ribbon cut puts this up a star. It's much easier to pack and smoke, but it's still basically a powerful codger burley. The kind of codger you don't leave alone with your kids.

As opposed to OJK, with its massive amount of Perique and more VA, this is more burley and not the real dark tasting stuff, but relatively medium tasting, but strong in N nevertheless.

I find myself missing the odd topping which I remember from PA or other minimally cased OTCs that I don't smoke anymore, despite the flavor from the Perique and VA (if there is any VA flavor it is miniscule). This slightly hollow flavor, despite the contribution from the Perique (This kind of Burley basically has no flavor which is why it is always cased) is the reason I give it 3 instead of 4 stars. Just a touch of that Rum stuff which GLP has in Haddos, for example, would really help this out, imo.

Gus Evening Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus Evening (8)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I would recommend not being too hasty with your review of this blend. Give it some time, because I think it takes some experience to really appreciate this blend. I normally smoke English blends but this is quickly made its way into my rotation for something different.

I would say the nicotine is on the high side but not overwhelming. I do get quite a bit of sweetness from the Virginia and some spiciness from the perique but not too much. Burley is the main tobacco flavor in this blend. At first I thought it was harsh, but I think I was smoking it too fast, when I slow down a little bit I noticed quite a bit of interesting nuance. Excellent. Give it a try.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum, briar and cobs

Age When Smoked: 2

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

Similar Blends: Old Joe Krantz.

OomPaul Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OomPaul Guy (7)

I have to give credit for me trying this blend to YouTube Pipe Community Presenter, "Matches860" who touts this blend very highly. I am predominately a Burley smoker, however, this is actually my first uncased Burley blend.

This blend is truly awesome!! The balance between the Burley, KY and VA is capped off beautifully with just a splash of Perique. The flavor is very distinctive and unique, unlike any I have tried before. There is a bit of a Nic hit detected, but, being a cigarette smoker, not at all overwhelming for my tastes. The Perique is nice, giving you that pleasant tongue tingle like eating a very mild hot pepper. Very enjoyable and easily an all-day smoke.

Thanks John!!

Pipe Used: Savinelli "Solaria" 614, Savinelli "Roma" 614

Burleyblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burleyblues (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Loose cut, pretty dry, very little aroma from the tin (sort of old-book scent...), packs, lights and burns easily. No bite. The burley and the kentucky are the major players, the virginia brings some smoothness and the perique is barely perceptible (maybe in the strength). The blend is very simple, rough, earthy, slightly nutty with a good level of vitamine N. It is not for beginners who may find it too bland but it is a good uncomplicated all-day smoke for those who enjoy burley. It mixes very well with other blends, bringing them strength and smoothness. Update 2017-02-01 : Make sure that the tobacco is at the good level of moisture to appreciate it fully.

Pipe Used: Non-filter pipes

michwen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michwen (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

Why? Why selltobacco that tastes of ashtrays? This is the worst tobacco i´ve ever tasted. It only tastes harsh. It´s jarring to your senses. Stay away!

Pipe Used: Straight billiard size 5, straight prince size 2

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)

In my reviews I try to take a methodical chronological approach from tin appearance through to aftertaste with a concluding statement. This blend requires a different take based on impression, and that impression is that this is damned good. There is just something so satisfying about it that it hits the spot in a very honest way. When I'm at work thinking about my after supper bowl it is this blend that I'm packing.

I've found that of the Cornell and Diehl blends I like, which is about 80%, they have a singular quality of growing on me from an initial neutral impression, to appreciation, to craving. It may very well be the burley, which is not harsh but because it is unadulterated is unrefined, literally and figuratively. When I first received my bulk order I was rather nonplussed and a little alarmed by how dry it was. As a result, this was ignored for some time, but that recess helped to take the edge off and really improved this smoke. This is a straight up tobacco experience. I love the dry, toasty, earthy, woody, roasted nut burley and the malty red Virginia. The tangy Perique puts it over the top. There is a definite mustiness, redolent of aged books, that works perfectly with the name. Healthy burley strength to this too. In the bag it has some faint vinegar notes.

This is really a great blend and will be a staple, and in fact I'm awaiting a shipment this afternoon. To others looking to try it for the first time, be patient and persistent and let it mellow for a few months.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very intense Burley blend. It has rich Burley body and depth of flavor. There is not a lot of complexity here but lots of good Burley tobacco taste. There is just enough Virginia and Perique to keep it from being cloying, not enough for a balance of flavors. In terms of nicotine strength, this one is substantial, definitely above the mid-range of the spectrum. It has burned dry and cool in every pipe I have smoked it in: Orlik billiard, Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman, and a Sunrise Canadian. HB is easy to light and it stays lit with very little effort. Mine was a bulk tobacco and was smoked right from the bag with no air time. It is a very satisfying smoke if you like Burley tobaccos. This is one that I will be coming back to in the future.

Pipe Used: Orlik billiard, Missouri Meerschaum

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The haunted bookshop I smoked to write this review was cellared in 2008, so be aware that this is the well aged version of this blend.

Haunted bookshop is a very interesting tobacco in the sense that it really separates the pipe smoking community. People seem to absolutely love it, or absolutely hate it. I don't mind it but it is not a favorite.

I have smoked this in the past and remember it being alot more brash and acerbic, but this ages sample was nice and mellow. The tobacco is pretty dry by today's standard but I find this to be the case with most C&D blends.

This blend lit well and stayed lit well. The first half of the bowl had this fragrant perfume like taste, but only in a natural tobacco kind of way, there is by no means any flavoring added here. That fragrant flavor that I loved eventually transitioned in to a nice mellow nutty burley flavor. Not bad.

Mochzky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mochzky (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

When I called C&D to place an order for the tobaccos I usually smoke, such as Briar Fox, After Hours, Habana Daydreams, etc., I added one more tin for a trial, on a whim, as I was attracted to the name. This was my first foray into Haunted book shop and became my last.

The nose delivers the damp smell of English antique furniture, which matches the images the said name gives. The musty smell of old books. Taste: dusty, bitter, and earthy. I am a big fan of C&D, and I love VA/PE blend, but it's not my taste. So far, I skip this one in my next order. At least, until I come back to it some day with some more experiences.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)

What interested me at first was how dry and natural this tobacco is. Others have described a peppery taste, which dominates the first part of the smoke. As you progress the rich burleys come through and virtually no sweetness enters into the picture. This was a tough one to get used to but, one of the nice things was the strength--just right for me; a little kick of nicotine to relax the nerves.

Overall I think 7formy1911 nailed the description. My review comes somewhat recommended mostly because I'm an English lover at heart. Top quality tobacco though, as you'd expect from Cornell and Diehl.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)

Haunted Bookshop is a mixture of ribbon and cube cuts, burley is the main player on this one, the burley has an earthy taste which is very common in most of the burley from C & D, the perique plays a second part maintaining a good balance along with the burley, the virginia weave in and out providing a necessary sweetness to this blend, in my my most humble opinion I would not be surprised is there's a little of unflavored cavendish on this mixture. It packs easy and lights the same. HB flavor profile reminds me of Haddo's delight they are both geared toward the burley smoker but the difference for me is that Haddo is a harsher smoke due to the excessive amount of perique use where HB the perique is use with more restraint and does not have any noticeable topping added.

Would I buy this again? maybe... the tin that I'm smoking is close to the 4 year mark, I think that this blend needs a couple of years in the cellar to let the virginias aged and bring that necessary sweetnes to this blend.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Haunted Bookshop has been referred to as Old Joe Krantz Lite. Both tobaccos were blended by Bob Runowski, who knows his Burley. The constituents are similar, but the nicotine dose of HB is considerably lower than that of OJK. However, to belittle this blend as a "Lite" version of anything else is to really sell it short. I think it may be a blend that you either like or don't, but I also think that any burley lover should really appreciate Haunted Bookshop. The tin opens to a mix of brown and tan ribbons, with some of the cut being pretty big ribbons, consisting ofBurley, Virginia, and Perique. Keeping with the comparison to OJK, the cut is finer. The aroma from the tin is sort of earthy, and pure tobacco goodness. For my tastes the moisture level in the tin is just about perfect; on the slightly dry side but with enough moisture that I still let it air a bit to dry. Sometimes, while it dries, I like to just smell the tin. It packs well into a pipe, but I suggest packing it more lightly than most other blends as it seems to condense easily, tightening the draw if not. Upon lighting it is the burley that drives the blend, but at times I notice wafts of flavor that remind me of the taste of a good cigar. Obviously the burley, but what a great taste! The Virginia adds a top note and sweetness to the blend while the perique adds spice and depth. HB stays lit nicely through a smoke. Good clouds of heavy smoke are produced, but if smoked slowly, with lighter puffs and clouds, there are rewards from all three constituents not found if puffed heavily - the burley is a flavorful one with more nuance than many, the Virginias provide a nice high end with wisps of fine sweetness, and the Perique's fig-like nature provides a flavor delight on the bottom. Regardless of how it is smoked, though, HB has a rich, full earthy flavor. It reminds me of walking through Durham, NC, in the 1960s. Early in the smoke I notice the "hot" flavoring of the Perique, but this dissipates further into the bowl, then makes a fairly dramatic return in the last quarter or so of the smoke. The pipe and the smoke stream stay cool and dry to the very end. Unfortunately, my wife isn't fond of the room note, and this is a problem. Because I smoke a lot of this stuff! (Thank goodness for Lampe Berger!) And I can smoke pipe after pipe without tongue bite. Haunted Bookshop has risen to the top of my favorites list, where it has stayed now for at least a couple of years. There is more of it in my cellar than there is of any other blend. I can smoke it in the morning to relax on my long drive to work, in the evening after a good meal, and all day while watching football or walking the dogs. Like other blends from C&D, it needs to be aged before it is opened, but once aged it is Nirvana.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Update 4/29/2009:

This is now my main smoke. I smoke as much of this as all other blends put together. A few more months (total of 9) tempers the bitterness a bit more to a level I find perfect for any occasion. The last few puffs at the end of a bowl have a nice Va/Per flavor which makes the bottom of the bowl something to look forward to rather than dreaded. I find this blend tastes a bit acrid in large bore pipes. A medium or small bowl pipe works best. This blend will not wow you at first but wins you over given some time.

"The Haunted Bookshop" is a book by Christopher Morley which features a lot of pipe smoking. It is no longer copyrighted in America, so you can read it online, for free, at:

Smoking this blend while reading it's namesake is a very relaxing experience.

Original review 12/16/2008:

This review is for the tinned version of HB. As with all C&D non-cavendish blends, don't even think about smoking it unless it has some age on it or you will be rewarded with a poor smoke. I waited until my tin had 6 months on it. It was dry but not excessively so. Packing and lighting are a breeze as long as you leave a bit of room for the cube cut burley to expand. For the first 1/4 bowl, it is slightly sweet, grassy, mild, and light in taste. After that, welcome to flavor country. The burly really comes forward with a nutty bitterness which is tempered a bit by the perique and VA. This goes great with a sweet cup of coffee, but if you aren't in the mood for an earthy, non-sweet tobacco flavor, it can be overbearing. But this is the flavor it was obviously designed to present, and it does so well. There is nicotine here but it is not overbearing. It stays like this to the bottom of the bowl. This blend reminds me of Prince Albert, except that it far more flavorful and of vastly higher quality. It isn't finicky about pipes or puffing pace. The room note won't win you any friends as it is somewhat cigarette like, but I appreciate the straightforward tobacco aroma. I like it and would buy it again, but if the bitterness were just a bit more subdued by a smidgen more VA, I would smoke it more often and I think it would win over a few more fans.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)

Haunted Bookshop, a non-aromatic but wonderfully flavored Burley blend is, for me, at its best as a midday smoke when my palate is clear and I'm a bit hungry. I find that its piquancy (the Perique) makes it a poor choice with morning coffee, when bland Prince Albert works best, or after dinner, when L J Heart Burley's broader flavor produces a more complimentary finish.

During the day however, I enjoy the earthy, musty, sometimes downright gamey brown-tone flavors; and Haunted Bookshop's peppery edge adds interest to an otherwise routine smoke. This is Runowski at his best; a most tastefully accomplished blend.

If you're a Burleyphile do give Haunted Bookshop a try.

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (12)

The differing palates of individuals is a fascinating thing and thought that I was tasting a different tobaco that several of the recent reviewers when I saw their ratings. My reaction to this was more in accord with pipestud. I like perique but my stomach doesn't. So was delighted when I tried this tobacco. Has just enough perique for flavor without assaulting my stomach and melds so well with the burleys. For burley lovers who enjoy a tad of perique, can't think of a better one and it is currently one of my mainstay blends.

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (25)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find Haunted Bookshop a very smooth blend. It has a little pepper, which I'm assuming comes from the little perique. Unlike others, I do notice the Virginia, mostly in the sweetness it adds to the blend. The burley keeps it cool all the way down, and gives it a healthy amount of Vitamin N. The perique may help with that, but it's too light to notice much of a difference. Because of its strength, I enjoy Haunted Bookshop in smaller pipes. A couple of bowls full goes a long way. The burley also keeps the Virginia from biting, as Virginia blends can leave me with a scorched tongue from time to time.

While several people note a cigarette flavor, I didn't really. I guess it could be cigarette-ish, but not cigarette-like. As someone else noted, American cigarettes are heavily burley with a little Virginia thrown in. Unlike cigarettes, I just taste the nuttiness of the burley tobacco, without that acrid taste. Same goes for the room note. I smell tobacco - a little sweet, a little spice, a lot of nuttiness - kinda like a tobacco barn in the spring, but I don't smell cigarette. And the smell doesn't get into everything like cigarette smell does.

Haunted Bookshop has become a regular part of my rotation.

Pipe Used: Luciano, IPE

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

Randy Tuggle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Randy Tuggle (19)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

One of the most revered blends in my rotation! This is great for those who need a nicotine fix (cigarette smokers) as it delivers a rich Burley withe a dash of spicy Perique. You can burn this at any rate of smoking speed as it holds flavor well in any pipe. Not for newbies to the briar in most cases but as for me (constant smoker), I love Haunted Bookshop as it really breaks up the boredom that can come with smoking many aromatics. Sometimes, you just need a real smoke. This is one of 'em! Great for cellaring in jars, too, as it holds up well long term. Think Carter Hall - but with a kick!

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, everything in my rotation

Age When Smoked: fresh - and aged as well

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall.

Adam Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam Z (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I really wanted to like this. It has a cool name, and I've seen many reviews here and on YouTube, and in a Facebook group about how great this is. I was fortunate enough to receive a sample to load my pipe with from a Facebook friend who absolutely LOVES this blend. I made this the first smoke in my brand new Savinelli 601 churchwarden. This is my FIRST burley-based blend, and unfortunately I'm just not that into it. It isn't that bad, but I can't say I truly enjoyed the smoke either. The taste did indeed seem reminiscent of cigarettes (albiet, high quality cigarettes), and it was a little harsh at times. I've heard folks say that this blend burns real nice with minimal relights (LOL), and has low tongue bite - not my experience at all. Despite the tobacco being fairly dry, I was constantly relighting. Because of all the relighting, I may have started puffing a bit more, which (of course) resulted in a bit of tongue bite.

I would try it again if the opportunity presented itself down the road, or I might buy an ounce just to give it another spin in the future, but Haunted Bookshop isn't something I'm going to be stocking up on. Unto each his own, I guess.

At this point I'd ONLY recommend this to someone who REALLY loves their burley.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 601 churchwarden

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Sample gifted by a friend

Champagne InHand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Champagne InHand (3)

Nutty, earthy, wood filled with a touch of black pepper. Some smokiness from the perique and of medium strength. I guess I expected a bit more from this blend, but it is pleasant enough. Not as complex as the pipe tobaccos from SBC I have been smoking lately and much different that DE Gatsby Luxury Flake which has a similar make up. I would give the nod to the Gatsby in this regards. I have 6 ounces to burn through and my impressions may change as I make my way through this jar I packed up.

Pipe Used: Rhodesian Briar

Age When Smoked: Unknown. Purchased in bulk

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: A weaker similarity to Gatsby’ Luxury Flake.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (263)

Holy mother of Burley... this is some Burley blend that knocks me off my feet - in a positive way!

From the wonderful tin design, up to the tin note and the taste...best Burley blend I've had so far! It's even a tad better than Burley´s Crumble and Burley´s Best by Motzek, which I love too! But Haunted Bookshop is very special to me.

The unburnt aroma is nutty, slightly fruity, stout and spicy. Comes crispy dry, just as I like my tobaccos.

Haunted Bookshops tastte is heavenly..wow! It starts out quite stout, tart and spicy, full-bodied Burley goodness with decent nuttiness and hints of stoved, sweet fruits. But mainly spiccy and tart. After halfway point the nuttiness takes the lead, to give nutty-sweet, yet spicy and tangy aroma. I just love it...from the first puff to the last..very exciting, even tho not too complex. But the flavors that are there are simply tasty to my palate.

Very satisfying and the aftertaste leaves me wanting for more! Sadly this is unavailable in Germany and I only have 2oz of it right now...I NEED(!!) more of this... ASAP!!! ;-) 4/4 stars and a instant favorite, furthermore a Top-5 list tobacco of mine.

Pipe Used: Corn Cobs / Briar Pipes

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I got this one to try something new. There was a sale on the bulk, which may be a bit different from the tin version.

Tin note is very burley, with perique and a whiff of smokey Kentucky. It's mostly ribbons of gold and brown, with a fair amount of broken flake in it. Some decent sized pieces at that. This is why I say the bulk may be different, as I didn't notice anyone else here mention them. I ended up going through the 1 oz bag I bought and rubbing those out a bit to make them easier to load with the dip in the pouch method.

It still packs a bit rough. It worked better in a slightly wider bowl ultimately. It doesn't light easily, a few good charring lights get it going though. It burns as to be expected, well enough. The flake bits come in line about 1/3 the way through the smoke. It does require some relights, with a need to ash the pipe first. It won't light when the ashgets thick. It picks up in flavor on the last 1/3 of the pipe.

The taste is a nice burley. The va does make it a bit sweeter than I expected. The perique is noticeable, I like perique a lot though. The earthy, smokey notes to it give it some depth of body and round out the predominance of burley.

I smoked only this blend thoroughly for two days. It is good, but may be a bit strong for some. I got a little spinny from it after smoking three bowls back to back haha. It could be an all day smoke, but it may get dull for non burley lovers. Not sure it's for newer smokers, as the packing and lighting could be frustrating for some.

Pipe Used: One small, one medium

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Orion's arrow a bit..

wildrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildrage (6)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is one of those blends that grew on my over the years. When I first started pipesmoking, I tried this blend and absolutely hated it. It was like chewing a pack of cigarettes (I've never smoked cigarettes before). It also made me very light-headed. Now, some years later, I have revisited it, I can appreciate this blend for its simplicity. It's a rough around the edges burley with a moderate nicotine hit. Recommended on a full stomach, or the end of the day, if you're N adverse. Worth giving a second change if you've tried it and avoided it in the past!

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz.

Pastor Puff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pastor Puff (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

Tasting Notes: Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop

Component Tobaccos: Burley, Virginia and Perique

Cut: Coarse Ribbon

Tin Note: Very Sweet, Raisins

Body: 8/10

Strength: 6/10

Nic: 6/10

Moisture From Tin: Perfect. Need to jar up immediately.

Mechanics: This smokes really well. Cool, dry smoke. No bite at all but it does dry my mouth out. Keep water on hand.

Taste: The Virginias are mid way between bright grass and moldering hay, sort of like three day old cut grass. They are delightful, giving a subtle sweetness playing second fiddle to the burley. Now, burley has this flavor that I love; I am unsure how to describe it but it is delicious. It just tastes like burley and that flavor is at the front of this blend. It is wonderful. Lastly is the perique. In this blend you get a spicy mouth-feel and a bit of fig from the perique. It comes out through the retrohale and I love this.

Thoughts: I love this blend. The burley is perfectly tasty, the Virginias are sweet and grassy, the perique is spicy and figgy. It all comes together to produce one of the best smokes I have ever had. This blend has fast earned a place in my daily rotation and will likely stay there for a long time.

Overall: 10/10

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Peterson - Irish Oak.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

It has been awhile since I had a C&D blend. Now I remember why I don't get them anymore. Opened up a fresh tin of this blend and it was as dry as hay that's been out in the sun too long. Surprisingly, it does not burn down as fast. With a slow cadence you should be able to stretch it to maybe 25 minutes, but don't hold me to it. The taste is along the lines of the old OTC burley blends that are still out there. Just not my cuppa. YMMV. Over all, it is only slightly recommended.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

First let me say that I love burley. Burley based blends like C&D's Big n Burley are very good, straight burley's like Solani 656 are wonderful. This, this is a different animal. The smell out of the jar is simply burley, a nice mild smell. The entire sample is a light brown, where is the red VA, I cannot see it, its not in the aroma at all. A very small smattering of perique by the look of things too. Taste is no better. I get a sourness that is not really present in burley for me. Don't confuse sour for bitter, a slight bitterness comes in good burley with a note of cocoa. This is not that, it is sour. Occasionally a little pepper comes in from the perique but no dark fruits nor are there tangy elements from the VA. I don't think this has any red VA in it! At about mid bowl it turns from this sour mess into a harsh ashy cigarette like flavor profile that continues until I have had all I can take. This is not from the pipe. I have tried it is several pipes I have cleaned my pipes and tried it again with the same result. I will not finish the sample.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (114)

This blend's name was one I had heard bantered about for some time and it's outwash made me curious as to what it really was. So, I bought a tin of Haunted Bookshop and, at the same time, a tin of its stablemate Old Joe Krantz from C&D at our 2014 NASPC show. I'm just now getting around to cracking these tins and I started with HB. Here we have a relatively light colored blend - lighter than I expected from listening to other smokers talk about it and not quite as medium brown as I have come to expect from C&D Burley blends. Yes, there was some level of Perique in there but that's okay with me. There was a varigation in the cut from longer strands to smallish irregular pellets and I am okay with that also. My problems lie with the actual smoking properties of this blend: thin and monochromatic. The top third of the bowl was pleasant enough and uneventful and rather a nebbish smoke. Just when I thought I'd had enough, we hit a much more tasty and enjoyable spot at the top of the middle third that was much more of a "now, that's it" type of experience. So, I smoked on with a good feeling - for about three or four minutes. And then - it was gone and we were back to the top third again. I puffed on through the middle third of the bowl but it didn't return; so, I stopped. Later I relit the pipe to smoke the bottom third and discovered that in that third you don't even get the taste and aroma of the top third. Thin, tasteless and somewhat ashy, I let the bowl go out. Every bowl I have smoked since performs in the same manner as the first, more or less. If I was rating this blend as smoked right out of the tin, it would be a two star affair. However, I have discovered that it works better as a blending ingredient than as a bowl full of tobacco and have been utilizing it as such with success. Now I can rate it as three stars.

Pipe Used: half bent kaywoodie and larry roush billiards

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs old

Purchased From: C&D @the 2014 naspc show

Similar Blends: Taste wise, a slightly more interesting version of Davidoff Royalty; which is odd, since they don't have exactly the same formula.

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A great blend that lives up to an equally great reputation, it creates a sensation that is both full and light, perfect for an all day smoke if one can take the nicotine.

Taste: A nutty hay starts it off, sweeter in the nose than in the mouth. Some underlying hints of grass soon adds to the mix. This being a Cornell & Diehl blend, of course there is a dash of spice in this burley! It reminds me slightly of tabasco in how it mixes the heat of the burley with the sweetness of the virginia.

Mechanics: Ribbon/coarse cut, easy to pack with little to no need of relights and no bite. Medium to strong in nicotine.

Similar Blends: Old joe Krantz.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)

Dark Burley and lots of it! Its nutty, bitter, and bready. It smokes like a high-quality OTC blend. The Perique offers more plum/fig than spice for me which adds to the fruity red Virginia. I can see people complaining that it tastes cigarettey because it does. I personally love the taste. Like a Camel Filter which is also predominantly Burley leaf. Old Joe Krantz is a favorite of mine but too strong to smoke all day. This is the answer to that problem. It is medium strength and just comfortable enough to smoke morning, afternoon, and night. A tasty blend that may take some getting used to. It should age fantastically.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaums

Similar Blends: Old Joe Krantz, Prince Albert.

AlebrijePIPE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlebrijePIPE (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I can't smoke cigarretes because it left a terrible taste back of my tongue. A lot of times - specially on cold days - people on street smoke and then I said: wow, what a smell of that cigarrete! Then, I try with another brand, but results are the same. Until I reach to pipe world. I know burley sometimes is renowed as a "poor man tobacco" Who cares! I just get my package from SP and I taste it. Smells good and tastes like the same! Thanks to Matches860 to introduce me through his videos to this blend!

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)

Hunted Bookshop is a wiiiner, that is if you like Burley, and I do! The Burley is the big player but you cant ignore the sweet virginia or the spicy plummy Perique. Excellent mixture for those damp cool fall days when I need to kick back with a strong cup of teaand a pipe. While it is not Old Joe there is still plenty of strength to slap you around. Not an all day smoke for me but certainly an everyday smoke.

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If I can't get my hands on a Latakia blend (or looking for a different full-flavor blend) I know Burley can deliver! This is a flavorful blend that smokes very well. I love how Burleys deliver a full flavor, but in a entirely different way than Latakia. No tongue bite, smokes straight through with no relighting needed. Unlike others, I found this got better toward the end. Wife did not like the room note, and I reserve that vote to her since she's the one that has to tolerate it. One of the few she voted not tolerable.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

I found this blend to be somewhat of a challenge, and after smoking my fair share of it I have decided that it isn't quite to my taste. Haunted Bookshop is not without its merits. It does have ample strength, and those that enjoy strong burley with plenty of structure will likely appreciate it. However, I think that it lacks the counter sweetness of its big brother blend Old Joe Krantz. The flavor carries a light hint of burnt tire rubber and as well as an astringent bitter quality. However, minus OJK's higher percentage of Virginia leaf, Haunted Bookshop has a drier flavor and presents a smoke that's a bit lighter in body but more rough on the tongue. It's not as spicy, flavorful, or as inspired as OJK and as a result, not as interesting. The flavors improve towards mid bowl and smooth out quite a bit once a good layer of ash is formed, but altogether I just can't find the same enjoyment or wow factor that I found in Joe Krantz.

UPDATE 4/24/15 - I am bumping this up a star. It seems over the last month that I have developed a taste for Haunted Bookshop. I won't pretend to understand exactly why; all I know is I have been continually reaching for this blend over and over again. That said, the thing that I enjoy the most about this mixture is how skillfully the perique is applied. With each sip of the pipe it provides a polite piquant sting and if I draw a little harder, the spiciness intensifies and the flavor deepens abundantly. With several bowls under my belt, I have become well acquainted with Haunted Bookshop's earthy bitterness (which I now enjoy tremendously) and the nicotine level is perfect. Now, I still find Old Joe Krantz a bit more interesting, but from the standpoint of strength, Haunted Bookshop is more accessible and not as stout. Simple and balanced with a lively mouthfeel and flavor. I have changed my mind, I like this blend. Yes, I believe I do.

Pipe Used: Cob

Jonathon Davis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jonathon Davis (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are reading these reviews than you, like I am a seeker. We are excited that we will find the the tobacco of our dreams. One that will light easily and stay lit, no bite, chemically matched to out palate. Well this one is it for me, finally. Perfect.

Pipe Used: Viprati

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

I decided to try this based solely on the name. I'm usually an aromatic person but gave this a try. The product was easy to light and mostly a burley feel to it as well as virgin more burley I felt. The smoke was fairly nice no bite at all with this product so great if you smoke daily... Overall not too bad but not my cup of tea. Also will add a great tobacco to keep for the nicotine I smoked this a second time and wow got a hit of nic! Good transition for cigarette smokers. Well revisited this blend today and needless to say major change. The jar note was of a fruit and nuts. Meaning the red Virginias matured a bit. This blend was very enjoyable the second time around. Gave myself a nice nutty fruit taste which I love most about burleys. Really made my day to revisit this one because it has such a cool name.

Pipe Used: Merschaum, corn cob, Peterson Dracula fishtail

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 1 year aged

Purchased From: Tobacco pipes brookville fl USA

Similar Blends: Peretti - Thanksgiving Day.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Haunted Bookshop... Ah the name got me... Again marketer's take note, anything with "Haunted, Autumn ,Dark, Mysterious, Hollow etc. will get my attention... Anyways I do like these types of blends although HB is a bit too musty for my taste. I like my Burley blends to have more sweetness and less spicyness. I would recommend HB to a veteran that enjoys very earthy and slightly bitter spicy burley blends... Room note will not earn any praises...

Pipe Used: Cobs

This is an ok mixture -- somewhat bland burleys, and I really don't get the VA or Perique, although without them in deep background this would probably be a ** blend. If I smoked even more than I do and was looking for a mild change of pace, this would be a slightly more interesting alternative to PA or Kentucky Club

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: 3 years, 11 months

Purchased From: gift

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

After being so pleasantly surprised with Old Joe Krantz I wanted to try this one for comparative purposes which I did when I re-supplied Old Joe. My 4 ounce bulk baggie arrived much drier than even the 12% that C&D favors and I had to spend some time adding more moisture for a fairer comparison.

I can readily see how this is considered a sibling blend to OJK and perhaps that relationship can taint my review as I much preferred the dark and cubed (heavier) burley of OJK to the lighter burleys used in HB. I can't really determine if there is any major difference in the portions of the blend varieties used - burley, perique, red Virginia. But in the smoke these lighter burleys play a more subtle role and the perique seems stronger, more peppery. Va's seem the same.

This does not have the same tin aroma of OJK in intensity but is close. The flavor in the pipe is more subtle. The potency is not necessarily less however, but only seems so perhaps due to the milder smoke.

Not to belabor the point, HB rates a solid three stars from me. In my personal rating system, three is very good and denotes a blend I would buy again. However, I much prefer its bigger brother, OJK, which I have bought four times in two months already and is now a must-have.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: Fresh production

Purchased From: smokningpipes.com

Pilotpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilotpuffer (6)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Maybe it’s just me. I really enjoy the VaPer blends such as GLP’s Haddo’s Delight, and even Dunhill’s Elizabethan Mixture. This was my first foray into the burly/perique territory and will be my last! The sweetness and perique just doesn’t mix well on my tongue. The aftertaste was not the usual for perique and there must be other casings in this mix which did not add any enjoyment. After the charring light a strange goo taste and texture began to emerge. Then the bitterness of the hot smoke kicked in.

Honestly, I have VERY seldom dumped a bowl halfway through, but I did with this junk. Sorry, C&D , you have some excellent blends, but this is certainly not among them. Even Cater Hall is a burly blessing compared to the dusty and dank bookshop.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

I love burley. It's as simple as that. I also enjoy burley that has a little extra something to add another layer of enjoyment and I think that describes this blend perfectly. It's burley plus something "extra." When I first started smoking this blend I thought you could puff along like a freight like just about any other OTC burley and you wouldn't have any ill effects on the tongue or taste. This is where patience comes in. Slow down, enjoy the blend and the nuances. Once you figure out that a little heavier hand than normal in packing as well as a slow smoking cadence will reveal tastes you didn't think were there you'll be in pipe heaven. Let it smolder and smoke it just on the verge of going out. If you're a Virginia smoker then you'll understand that point.

The initial light can be a little rough in taste and slightly peppery but give the blend a moment to settle down. Once the blend settles down a bit you'll experience the nutty/chocolate/cigar notes of the dark burley with the Virginia adding a very subtle sweetness and the perique adding interesting dark fruit (fig) flavors. Once in a while the perique will turn a little peppery but it's brief and usually when you began to puff a bit too fast. If you're not used to burley then you may be put off by the cigar and nutty notes and may come to you as "bitter" notes especially if you're used to smoking sweet aromatics or Virginias. Give this blend time to develop not only in your pipe but on your taste buds as well.

I think this is a wonderful blend worth of attention from all of those who enjoy burley but are looking for a little something more. This is a great all day blend if you are into such a thing as well. C&D has hit another burley homerun and I couldn't be more satisfied in both flavor and nicotine.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got this in a trade, so I can't vouch for the average condition when you buy it in a shop. It didn't feel cased and doesn't taste to me like it is dosed with flavorings, but just tastes like good burley which has been spiced with perique and VA leaf in such a way as to create a very relaxed soft tasting blend. I have come to like it as a palate cleanser of sorts between bowls of my more pungent blends. The sweet/baked va shows up every now and then and the burley has a nice aroma without being perfumed. This is what I had always hoped more of the codger burleys would be like. A solid 2.75 star tobacco. Nothing wrong with it, not too complex or high falutin' and fancified. Just tasty, cool burning, easy going pipe smoking.

One little note...if you are a quick puffer, you won't get burned or bitten, but if you can keep this on the edge of going out it will show you a bunch of little surprises.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I am beginning to enjoy C&D burley blends, but this seemed too bitter. The leaf is of obvious quality, as you would expect from this blender...which earned this mix a second star. But Haunted Bookshop just didn't seem very enjoyable to me. Still, many smokers seem to like it, so try it and see for yourself.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Well I really think this is an extra-fine all day blend. Comes somewhat dry so that it lights and burns well right off the line. And it really does seem to have a "bookshop" smell to it. Reminds me of an old man in Santa Barbara that smoked a pipe in his shop. This is a very pleasant and tasty smoke but the knock is that it burns fast and if you like it you will be buying a lot of it. Maybe it wouldn't be bad cut about 10% with PA and would last a little longer and lower the cost. Did I mention how much I like the taste of this blend? Yummy!

Tobold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobold (7)

01/15/09 - This is a "blue-collar" review from a long-time pipe smoker who is neither a connoisseur nor a gourmet. I like subtleties up to a point, beyond which I cannot detect them. There are very few aromatics that I like anymore. I love orientals, latakias, and Virginias, but burley gives me some trouble. Most of the time, I like stronger blends over weaker ones and in larger pipes than smaller ones. I have exceptions to all of the above. With that said . . .

This review is of tobacco from a 50 g. tin of fresh vintage.

Medium brown and light tan ribbons, this smells like straight burley. Starts out very mild with little taste. Pleasant room note! Tastes a bit nutty early on, but by mid-bowl, this has turned monochromatically sour and bitter. Having little experience with burleys, I got this after reading all the reviews and references. I really, really wanted to like this, but it has convinced me that unflavored burley blends are NOT for me. My loss.

Compares to any unflavored blend where the burley predominates. While I dislike most burley blends, C&Ds #104, Crooner, has a great taste and doesn't turn bitter in the bowl.

I will not be keeping this blend on hand.

I give it only two leaves out of nine.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I really hate to give this only one star, especially in light of its many fans, but I find no redeeming qualities here whatsoever. I love burlies (especially C&D burlies) yet all I've found here is a musty, dried out mess that tastes and smells like a stale generic cigarette. I smoke Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best all the time, but I've completely given up on this one.

I hope your experience with this is better than mine!

Strong Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I had the same experience as Glorfindel, The 4oz bulk I received was dry like wood, the smoke was harsh, tasteless, old dusty and nasty .

maybe the tined package is better quality.

If want top quality strait burley: Aged Burley flake (tin only) from solani or Golden Blend (pouch tin and bulk) from Mac baren.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

My bulk sample came powder dry. On purpose? I dunno but this was the worst pipe tobacco I have ever tried, even worse than Borkum Riff Whiskey. Smelled and tasted like cigarettes that had been opened and been left to air out in the sun of the dash board of someone's truck for a few years - HARSH!!

I had not even finished pulling down the flame on the first match when my tounge was stung like a scorpion sting. Biting hard right out of the gate to be blunt.

I was actually astonished that a blend could be engineered to bite so quickly. I never before had a bite, and such a hard intense one, happen so quickly in over 20 years of pipe smoking - even with the cheap stuff that I know will bite at some point.

The taste was awful - like smoking molded hay or floor trash sweepings - simply repulsive. This stuff is bad to the point it that makes me angry.

I hope my supplier had stored their stock incorrectly which led to this unpleasant experience and waste of my money and time. I would hate to think that someone at Cornell and Diehl knowingly made the tobacco this way.

If C&D is out to drive away customers, they have a winning strategy for sure with this poison.

I would give my sample away but I don't want to make any mortal enemies or be arrested for assault.

Sorry C&D, if this is a representative sample, it is simply an awful creation.

(-1 stars if possible)

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I am completely rewriting my initial review of this mixture. Originally, I was only barely lukewarm about it. However the tin I had been given had been open for awhile, so I thought in fairness I should order an unopened tin and try that.

I don't know what happened, but I apparently accidentally ordered two tins, so I definitely got more than I needed. On to the tobacco. I will first say that, whatever I had smoked before, was completely different in character and quality. Whatever is in this tin bears no resemblance to what I had earlier sampled. It is dry, bone dry; no, make that dry as ash. The tin aroma is non existent, and the tobacco looks like little bits of old cardboard; like something a rat might line its nest with. Had I been outside when opening this, and a slight breeze been blowing, the entire contents of the tin would have blown away on the wind.

Undaunted, I went ahead and filled a pipe, and lit up. Again, this bore no resemblance to my previous experience. The stuff in this tin is absolutely awful; it is worse than awful. It simply tasted of hot, dry paper. I don't know what the heck is going on over at C&D, but I've had identical experiences with some of Pease's blends, which they also make.

C&D should quickly re-evaluate their manufacturing and quality control process. I have now experienced five or six nearly consecutive tins of tobacco that they have made either under their own name or for GL Pease that have been well below the standard of quality one would expect from them. My final thoughts on this experience would simply be, stay away from anything made by Cornell & Diehl until they get their stuff together, and issue a public mea culpa.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The sweet VA is a nice complement to the Burley & peppery Perique. Well balanced is a one word summary I'd ascribe to this blend. I'm reminded of Big Red chewing gum and the slight nip, not unpleasant at all. The cut is of large pieces with the red VA's easily spotted. This is one I'll add to my cellar.

** 7/07. Try adding some aged & dried 5100 or Red Ribbon at 20% volume, let set for a week. Then let it dry overnight (spread on a cookie sheet). A go to blend.

** 7/09. Graded 3 stars, but with 20% 5100, it goes to 4-Star. IMHO, the red va adds a nice sweet touch & makes it a bit more full flavored

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

I purchased C&D Haunted Bookshop out of my love for burley and the book of the same name. This tobacco has a unique cut and took some experimentation and some time to get a full appreciation. In general, the words 'burley' and 'complex' don't go together. But I think this stuff requires as much care and prep as a VA/Per blend to get in the "zone". I don't like doing gymnastics with my tobacco, but this burley requires a little more care than dipping your corncob in a can of Granger.

1.) Upon opening, the tobacco was uncharacteristically moist for a C&D blend. A little air drying was in order. My 8oz can is 6 mos old and seems just right now. It lights easily and burns well.

2.) Those big burley flakes need a wide bowl to reach their full potential. I use a jumbo size apple made by Tinsky for this blend, or a fat 'ol Custombilt. A large capacity corncob does well too.

3.) Mid-bowl is where this stuff sings. Early on, its just a nutty burley experience. Others might say bland. Va eventually chimes in along with the spice of the Perique, and slowly exhaling through the nose shows the depth of this blend, but don't expect to be blown away. It's just very satisfying, as one would expect from a blend of quality components.

I give this 3 stars because after 6 mos, I find myself going for this blend more often. It's very subtle, and is becoming my preferred way to consume burley.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Haunted Bookshop is the last of the tins from the sampler pack of C and D blends I acquired last year. My feeling with the other seven was that perhaps the blends had not been aged enough, so I let this ripen for a year. The waiting seems to have married the tastes and flavours. The perique is very subtly applied and the basic experience is of burley bass perked up by red virginia. I enjoyed the tin, and would smoke it again if it came my way, but would not go out in search of it.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Full flavoured, reasonable share of nicotine, and au natural tobacco. Smokes dry and carries cigar notes. Never really builds to hit the zone, but instead caries a consistent woody, unflavoured tobacco thrust all through the bowl. Burns well, and satisfies. Not an all day or everyday smoke for me, but nonetheless worth keeping around. Don't expect a compliment on the aroma, unless outdoors in the wind where it will be diluted since it is a bit sooty.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The pouch aroma is pleasant in grassy hay sort of way like picking dry grass. The mixture a mostly a nutty burley base with the support of red virginias and perque in the scene saying hello to my taste buds and to nose. The leaves mostly yellows and gold and thick The first torch I got a strong whisp of the red virginia and a tickle in my nose from the perque. Before mid bowl the burley starts the party and finishes the party with wishes of a big pipe so that I may enjoy this longer. My wife might tolerate this one so yay!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

You gotta love the name of this tobacco. And I am a big fan of a number of C&D blends. But for me this starts off quite sharpish at the match. It is an acceptable smoke for about two thirds of the bowl; it has a light smokey quality with mild tobacco flavor, but nothing that rings my bell. It does not convey a strong burley flavor. For the last third of the bowl it becomes a bit bitter. It may be that I have been away from this type of burley blend too long and just cannot get into the swing of it. As with all C&D blends, the quality of the tobacco is first rate. It should be worth a try for burley lovers. Paddy.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a great burley blend. Although I am very fond of Greg Pease, I never liked Barbary Coast very well. Something in that blend just didn't jive too my way of taste. After smoking this blend, it seems obvious to me that it was the brandy casing. I really like this blend. I could see myself smoking quite alot of this during the hot summer months. The Burley is excellent and the Perique is just enough to remind you of its presence. The Virginias are almost non-existent, but do lend some sweetness. The book itself is also a treasure. I own one of the early editions (a dollar at a garage sale-can you believe it?!!) and got a kick out of reading it while smoking this blend. Talk about setting the mood!

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I love the name for this blend, as I am known to haunt quite a few bookstores myself. However, this blend just leaves me cold. The taste reminds me of an upscale Prince Albert. I like burley,but this stuff has the bitter, sour tastes that make me stop in a hurry. I really wanted to like this one, but I can't.

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Haunted Bookshop is a mixture with a plain, grassy, natural aroma, predominantly from the Burley component. It is composed of mid to light brown leaf, and IMO the Perique and the Virginias are very lightly applied. Compared to many bulk tobaccos, this one comes fairly dry in the pouch, smokes very dry (not stale) and clean, and has an overall nutty and slightly piquant bouquet. I must say this is my first experiment with a Cornell and Diehl blend, and I was very impressed by the quality and excellent craftsmanship of Haunted Bookshop. Packing it in a rusticated medium size Savinelli Octavia was quite simple, and it took the initial light gracefully and immediately. A very cool and dry smoked followed, with that intriguing though rather dulled Burley flavour, alleviated by the somewhat impish presence of the Perique and the smooth, sugarless variety of matured Virginia. There were no surprising twists throughout the smoke, the flavour remaining consistent. Only had to relight almost at the end of the bowl, after DGT. Though I did enjoy this tobacco, I did not find anything particularly extraordinary about it, nor did it remind me of any bookshop, haunted or not. Rather, it projected a country like feeling, as if in open fields. Pardon me for saying so, but IMO this tobacco can be seen either as a sophisticated and highly upgraded version of Prince Albert, or as an unsweetened and brandy less version of Barbary Coast. The Burley here is superior than the variety used in PA, but not as rich and smooth as the one employed by G.L. Pease. All in all a very good quality smoke, light and simple, quite along the lines of Larsen?s Kentucky Gold, though not as strong.

Tin Man Jay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man Jay (1)

The burley burns quite well, and I was able to smoke the entire bowl without any re-lights. It burned evenly and cool throughout.

The flavor in my mouth was earthy, woody, and bread dough, but when I exhaled the smoke from my nose, I could pick up both the Virgina and the Perique much better adding a touch of sweetness and a peppery finish. I will be buying more of this.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kilarney 03

MarkTheLad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkTheLad (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is a good, but not a great blend. I know it's very popular and it has a nice nic hit to it, but it's a little to bland for my tastes and it seemed to get a little bitter towards the last 3rd of the bowl. It also started tasting a little bit like a cigarette. It could use a little more perique in my opinion. I have some blending perique on hand, so I added about 22% to it and I put it away to age a bit. I will dig it back out here in about a year or so, to see how much it has improved, if any.

Pipe Used: Jobey Shellmoor 1/2 bent

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

LSUTigersFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSUTigersFan (5)

First, the name is very appealing, and the name may be appropriate. Rather than "haunted" bookshop, it should be called old, dusty, used bookshop. But, that really does not roll off the tongue. It has a very earthy and woody taste from the burley with a hint of perique for a little spice. I had it stashed in an airtight jar for a while, so it was dry. It may have been too dry. Bookshop smoked well with only a few relights. I was able to smoke down to the bottom of the bowl with no tongue bite.

It smoked well with a decent amount of smoke. The lady said that the smoke did not appeal to her, so this may be a back porch smoke for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Florence (602)

Darren Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darren (5)

Not exactly crazy about this one. I'm new to a pipe but have smoked Camel cigs for years. This blend tastes more like my old Camel cigs than any blend I've tried up until now. I find I have to really sip this blend to enjoy it. I'm trying to find the right tobacco for me right now and the closest I've come to that blend so far is C&D Mild English. There's something in it that is really pleasing to me. Especially toward the bottom of the bowl. Maybe it's the Latakia. Think I'm gonna order some straight Latakia and try to fix this batch to my liking. Hope it works. I'm looking for the perfect blend that has that same taste but more of it. I know that burley is used in cigs more than any other, so I'll try something with less burley next time. HB has a bitter nut taste to me which is ok but it's not the reason I took up a pipe. It seems the further down the bowl I get the more it taste like cigarettes. I'll finish this batch and try again. Unfortunately I bought a pound of HB, so It looks like I'll be smoking this for a while. Maybe the Lat will make it more suitable to my palate.

Pipe Used: Peterson Army, Peterson bent egg

Bud_Harold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bud_Harold (22)

Well constructed...Perfectly blended. Ready to smoke right out of the bag/tin. A very tasty VA/Per that brings yummy flavor in spades..Fruity and a lil peppery with some sweetness from the VA.. Tobacco is of decent quality. May bite if you push too hard.

Well worth the coin. Stock up!

Pipe Used: Wally Frank Algerian Briar

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I think someone went to there hayloft, ground up a bunch of hay, and maybe a little cow shit, put it in a bag and called it haunted bookshop. This stuff is god awful.

Pipe Used: old cob

Age When Smoked: 1-3 months

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Great name but doesnt really live up to it. What i got was a fairly rough and ready strong burly mix that you would more likely expect to get from from a home grower or straight from the farm. Not terrible but pretty crude. Plenty of strength and nicotine.

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This burley based blend is named after a rather bland book from 1919. I guess that's why this blend is pretty ok. Nothing special here folks. Burns well and easy to light, but no complexity.

Pipe Used: A cob of course

Age When Smoked: Bulk purchase maybe a month old

Similar Blends: OJK but less nicotine.

StimeyStrongwater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StimeyStrongwater (7)

I loved Old Joe Krantz and was very anxious to try this blend because of the similarity between these two blends that I was told about. I was upset when I discovered that I could never get into the groove with Haunted Bookshop. I am a big fan of C&D Burleys. This blend is made with the same high quality tobaccos that you have come to expect from this great company, but regretfully Haunted Bookshop could not strike a chord with me. I still would recommend the blend because I think that I am likely the outlier here, unfortunately.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

My first impression was that it started off dry and peppery but eventually warmed up to a bit more of a straight up burley taste. It had some interesting flavors throughout, lots of nicotine, gave me niccups.

Following that first impression however, after smoking many more bowls I did not find myself enjoying this blend. The perique overpowered the blend and made it somewhat putrid and foul tasting, and I don't know if anyone has gotten this, but I usually get it if I smoke anything with cigar leaf in it through my pipe, I get an uncomfortable feeling of a lump in my throat (and I'm fairly certain that it's not a tumor).

This tobacco is too strong (in terms of flavor, and nicotine). Behind all the strength there was an interesting flavor buried away, but this blend was unbearable to smoke. Worst of all it ghosted my pipe, meaning that the next few smokes were less than enjoyable no matter what tobacco I was smoking.

C&D should go back to the drawing board with this one. Don't make the mistake of buying this blend.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This tasted like a stale cigarette smells, my mouth was unhappy from the first puff.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

hmmm...pretty earthy peppery taste with the Burley and Perique. Not sure I like it that much. Kind of taste like old sock and ass-tray...I mean ashtray. Compared to Escudo...this is a wrong turn on the road to a good VaPer. If you're into Perique...you might dig this.

bklynpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bklynpipe (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

I was shocked at the dryness of this blend upon opening, besides having nothing but a vague scent of dry straw on the nose. It's burley cut in large pieces, about its only plus. Even as I like a bit of a 'nip' in a tobacco, this stuff was about as bad as I've ever had. Nothing resembling any Virginia or Perique could be found. Maybe I got a bad tin?

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a 2 oz. baggie of this in a C&D sampler pack. I did not read TR's ratings on this blend before I smoked it, because I wanted my impressions to be my own, not tainted by others' reviews.

As I was smoking this blend, I immediately sensed a bitter taste and smell. Less than halfway down the bowl, there was an increasing sensation I could only describe as "sour", and "old sweat socks". Imagine my surprise when previous reviewers mentioned these same characteristics!

I'm a burley man. I love Boswell's Premium Burley, Granger, and Mild Kentucky Club. I also enjoy Prince Albert and Carter Hall. But not this stuff.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I think I could blend this myself. Three parts dry leaves from the yard, two parts dry leaves from the yard last year. What is this? I find far to many blends from C&D that are pale and tasteless like this one. Sorry, C&D you ripped me off on this crap.

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)

This tobacco is vile. The pouch note, if any, is moldy and sour. In the bowl it is horrid. I thought it was just because I wasn't a "Burley guy". No. While I'm not a "Burley guy", I've smoked Burleys which I would be happy to give between 2 and 3 stars. I wouldn't smoke this again if someone gave it to me free.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This was an ok smoke. Didn't hit on much for me. Burned a little hot.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)

If Virginia and Perique is a Vaper, than Burley and Perique must be a Buper. The perique adds a nice edge to an otherwise non-descript burley. Smoke it slowly to enjoy its subtleties. Very cool in the pipe, but kinda boring.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

HB is a nice smoke that has a little topping but not overpowering. I find it kind of middle of the road in all ranges from nicotine, to flavor. Mild on the mouth. Id buy it again.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Not my idea of what a baccy ought to be. Comes, IMHO, too dry, has a strange cut, very mottled appearance, takes 3 matches to get started, no flavor but STRONG taste (I know this is hard to imagine), and gives absolutely no satisfaction of any kind.

To it's credit, once properly started, this mixture stays lit well but what the heck for?; Does not bite and smokes cool; No apparent casing or topping; No problems with packing and does not stink up the pipe (This is a little "maybe" since I couldn't finish the pipe and dumped the first load at half bowl}.

Am gifting the wife with the remainder of 4oz. tomorrow as a possible enrichment to her plant potting mix (she's getting used to this).

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This blend doesn't do much for me - the burley in the batch I received is quite bland.

The VA comes in, faintly, mid-bowl. The perique does pick it up by the end of the bowl but by then..... it's too late to make this one of my favorites.

Images evoked include sinewy goetic demons, hungering at the edge of a solidly-cast thaumaturgic triangle, never to realize full garrison of their appetite.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Well, it seems this tobacco is very appreciated around here, but I dissent... It has a very nice dark sweetness, and the piquant notes from perique are pleasant too... but I find that the burley used here can turn quite bitter and nasty (like a relit cigar), with a dustiness which can certainly be evocative of an old bookshop filled with old tomes and spiderwebs but which doesn't fit my taste. It's the same bitter cigarishness that I dislike in some other C&D blends!