Fragrant matured Virginia Blend

Notes: The name Trollshaws comes from the works of JRR Tolkien: The upland woods, consisting at least partly of beech trees, that lay to the west of Rivendell between the Rivers Hoarwell and
Loudwater. They were the haunt of trolls, three of which famously waylayed Bilbo and his companions during the Quest of Erebor.

BrandLevin Pipes International
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Tolerable
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

As fine a medium strength Virginia as I've ever smoked. Trollshaws is ultra rare and if you find a tin, grab it. A Barry Levin creation, this one is sure to please lovers of Matured Virginia leaf. A slow smoking cadence produced a semi-sweet flavor that was enhanced by the mellowness only a 20 year old tin of Virginia weed can produce.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

I've been nursing this tin for quite some time and trying to make sure it stayed humidified. The date on the tin is 1993, another tin I got from Barry @ Levin Pipes. The flavor is there as I remember it. I feel safe in saying it may have lost (or gained) a little something, but the taste was still good, it's very smokable, and hey, waste not want not. This is an unusual flake of VA's, Orientals and Latakia. The color is mostly black with dark browns mixed in. It has a different smell as compared to other English's in that the pungent, ever so lightly sweet note seems to dominate the blend. The Latakia is there and the VA's are there but the sweet/tangy/smoky smell is subdued. Possibly an extra helping of the Orientals is the influence. The fragrance agent used might be an altering factor, but I don't really detect a flavoring. Sorta like a mild straight VA aroma, maybe (?). It rubs out easily and packs well in most any bowl. I've always used Grp. 5 or G,GG size pipes. It lights well, burns evenly and cool, a smooth smoke with a bit of tartness, not very sweet in taste or aroma. I like the light bitter flavor that mingles with the charcoal grill taste. The flavor has gotten deeper and darker over time with an earthy, musty character that is also quite pleasant. It kinda reminds me of the wet soil smell you get after you water potted plants. You taste the Latakia, but it blends nicely with the fragrant base. All the components work together well, and there is a roasted chestnuts note that I sense as well as a bit of a lingering tangy sharpness, but it's still easy on the sweetness. Moisture was not much problem, I used one cleaner about 2/3 the way down. Burns to a mottled ash. I like this blend and wish I had bought more of it to cellar, even though I would prefer a little more sweetness from the VA's. This is a good blend if you're into blends that are more natural in taste and light on the sweetness be they English or straight VA's. It seems like maybe there's a little something missing, but I still like it and there is enough here to be satisfying to me.