Limited Edition Virginia Flake Pipe Tobacco, 1776 tins produced in 1993.

Boston 1776 was created in late 1993 to celebrate the exceptional pipe tobacco available from the United States of America.  Boston 1776 celebrates over 216 years of freedom from unfair rule, with fair and equal treatment of all citizens guaranteed by law.

BrandPCCA
Taste

3.7
Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)

I got most of a tin of this as a gift from someone who didn't like it. I'm a fan.

The tin note is very pungent of fermentation. Some people say it's vinegar, some ketchup, some bbq sauce. To me it just smells like fermented stuff. The broken flakes were pretty dry in my sample, which is how I like them. It took some work to rub this out. I tried stuffing some flakes in and smoking it like that, but I got much better burns with rubbing it out. The taste is noticeably tangy in the nice way that red VAs can be tangy, which I much prefer to the sweeter end of the VA spectrum. There is apparently a little bit of some oriental leaf here, which I'm guessing contributes to the slight spice that comes through as background radiation.

It'd be nice if this were still around, but I'm not crying about it. Check it out if you get a chance, because it's really good.

Pipe Used: Lots of them

Age When Smoked: Blended in 1993, tinned in 1996

Take your pick of McClelland's Christmas Cheer, mix 50-50 with McClelland's N. 27, and bingo - you have your own personal mix of PCCA's Boston 1776.

It is a Virginia Flake with some Oriental leaf to offer spice and balance. It smokes cool for a Virginia Flake and because the blend was tinned in 1993, the aging made for an incredibly deep and satisfying smoke. One of the Best (hey, maybe the best) Virginia Flakes I've ever put into one of my pipes!

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)

Typical McClelland but stouter than some of the similar blends from this company. It is very similar to Christmas Cheer, but 1776 has just a wee bit more of everything.

Upon opening the tin, that vinegary aroma almost knocked me to the floor, so I let it dry for a couple of days to get rid of those ethereal oils. It rubs out, packs and lights well, and when lit 1776 will reward you with a full, sweet, tangy VA-aroma; none of that vinegar is present during smoking - thank goodness.

I guess, as a European one has to get used to the McClelland-aroma, I know I have, and therefore I recommend this. If you like Christmas Cheer, I am sure you will love this one - It's hard to get though... Recommended

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

RMP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMP (7)

My first tin of 1776 was back in 1998 and the blend already had 5 years in the tin. Upon finishing my first bowl, all I could conjure up as a taste comparison was tiramisu with raspberries.

Over the years I've acquired more tins of this wondrous blend and enjoy each bowl as much as that first. Thank you Bob Hamlin and McClelland for creating this and sharing it with us.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

Just got hold of 3 tins of this venerable weed and it's one where age hasn't completely changed the original flavour line up but deepened and intensified it. The aroma in the tin is still redolent, as an earlier reviewer stated, of McC's Christmas Cheer...that sweet plum, damsons and blackberry scent which just makes my mouth water. The broken flakes are dry enough to load up and light; I have rubbed them out because the rewards are a richer fuller smoke so I have found. And it's when you have lit and started puffing that the true glory of this blend comes through....wafts of intense sweetness, together with a depth rather like a beautiful Burgundy, I could easily get carried away here by my own rhetoric! It is a lovely, lovely smoke....no bite, no roof of the mouth soreness. I guess this is one of those blends that you stumble across that you will always remember with a smile. I don't suppose there can be many tins left if any, but if you are lucky to see one, it'll be worth it I promise.

denholrl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
denholrl (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'm confused. I have a tin of 1994 PCCA flake that is as described in many of these reviews . . . looks, smells, tastes delicious . . . winey, rich, and definitely McClelland flake-ish. However, the tin label reads 'PCCA Boston 1996,' a title I've not seen reviewed at all. I'm wondering if I have a misprinted label on a tin of what is really 1776.

Pipe Used: Peterson, Connoisseur with taller bowls

Purchased From: long ago forgotten

Similar Blends: 1997 Christmas Cheer, Dark Star.