Aromatic Virginias from Central Africa and North
America treated in a special Cavendish procedure,
gently sliced into fine flakes. Mixed with spicy
Syrian Latakia. A very satisfying tobacco.

BrandKarl Erik
ContentsCavendish, Latakia
Strength
Taste
1.8
point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I bought a tin of this about 2 years ago but only had a few bows of it. It's not exactly drug store tobac but not tasty natural one either. Some latakia flavor mixed with aromatic casing, it was not impressive then and still is after so much time. A mediocre blend is what I will put it. Another negative side is it burns hot and a little bitey.

Simply stated; A Danish version of IRC Gourmet English. More added flavoring and less Latakia. English aromatic blends (really good ones), are favorites. This blend was just too over the top in the added flavor department. Not sure what the heavy misting of artificial flavors is, but I know what it is not - it is not pleasant and obliterated the Latakia.

On the plus side, I did think the leaf burned mostly dry all things considered.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

It is somewhat recommended because I cannot see with which blend it can be compared to as my experience with Latakia blends is very limited.

The aroma of the tobacco itself is very interesting. It has a delightful sour smell that I assume is from the Virginias and the smokey note of the Latakia.

Burning was not problematic at all and a single light was all that was needed. The taste is good and the latakia is always present in good measure.

All in all I found the blend OK. I doubt it will make your toes curl nor upset you. Its just OK thats all. OK?

OK

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: The smokiness of the Latakia is somewhat obscured by a sweetish overtone that I associate partially with well-aged cigars, and partially with overly cased tobacco blends. I would have to say that the aroma is, in a word, confusing. I cannot decide if this is an attractive scent, or a warning of a goopy aromatic experience to come.

Appearance: The appearance of this blend does little to clear up the confusion caused by the tin aroma. I can count a minimum of four different cuts of tobacco in this blend; with broken flake and ribbon making up the majority of the blend. I am not a very big fan of blends made up of so many cuts, as, invariably, the shorter cut parts of it end up sifting to the bottom of the tin and being ground into tiny little flakes, making the blend different than was intended, and shortening the number of smokes one can get out of a tin without sucking tiny burning tobacco bits through the mouthpiece of ones pipe. The coloring, like the cuts, is in no way uniform, and runs wildly from almost black to light blonde. The lighter elements are heavier, and make up somewhere around 60% of the blend.

Physical Characteristics: I know that it has become something of a litany in my reviews, but I will say it again: upon opening the tin, I discovered that it was far too moist for smoking, and required some airing out before I could enjoy it. Once it was properly de-humidified, I attempted to pack a pipe of it as-is, and failed abjectly. Only after removing the entire contents of the tin to a chopping board and rendering the whole mess to a uniform cut was I able to get a satisfactory pack. This acheived, the charring light was easy and effortless, and did not, unlike it's undoctored former self, swell up to five times it's original volume, depositing just lit tobacco bits in my lap.

Notes: I am not too sure about the spiciness of this blend. Sometimes it is tongoue bite in a can, and other times, it is as mellow as milk. I initially thought that perhaps the wildly varying characteristics of it were somehow tied to the different cuts present, but even after rendering the cut homogenous, the varying spiciness levels persist from bowl to bowl. However, when it is good, it is good. On those occasions where the spiciness is not overwhelming, this is, as the tin claims, "a very satisfying tobacco". The smokiness of the Latakia is pleasant and full, without becoming tastebud numbing. The Virginias are minor players here, acting mostly as a vechicle for the Latakia, but the Cavendish does mellow out what might otherwise be an overpoweringly smoky blend.

Verdict: If it were not for the cut problem, this would be an ideal blend for the smoker of "danish style" aromatics to try his/her hand at smoking an "english" style blend. As it stands, this is an interesting diversion from my normal rotation of latakia based blends, but not something I am liable to wrestle into submission on a regular basis.