Paul Revere s famous midnight ride is commemorated in this luxurious blend. Virginia grades from three of the finest growing regions are combined with Oriental tobacco, Cyprian Latakia, and a touch of Perique. A relaxing, cool, and medium bodied smoke perfect for quiet, reflective moments.

Notes: As with most of the "American Heritage" blends by CAO, this one has been discontinued by CAO but is still being offered by original blenders DanTobacco (DTM).

Trivia: The date of the ride was April 18th, 1775, and is celebrated by many American Freemasons.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to confess. The only reason I bought MR was solely on my tobacconist's endless insistence. And that's 2 months ago. After I came home and read 2 (two) mortifying reviews here, I decided to take it back and tell him... oh wait! I was looking at Dan tobacoo's midnight ride! There's another one labelled cao midnight ride? And it seems people can't recommend enough. What da?!?

Now, my tin didn't have CAO labelling on it. It's simply saying "An exotic blend of Oriental, Virginia & Perique tobaccos - Manufactured in Germany by Dan Tobacco" and where CAO version had yellow ring, this one had orange ring. That got me interested, I surfed a bit and found this http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-and-tobacco-news/dan-tobacco-re-introduces-old-cao-blends/

So it's produced by Dan Tobacco for Dan Tobacco. That explained the lack of CAO label. Now onto my review.

I have no idea what or how it was before (talking about CAO era) but this is one of the best I've ever smoked. Besides the first review by pokrsmokr was right on target "If Paul Revere was smoking Midnight ride, he may not have been in such a hurry. I know I wouldn't have been."

MR is creamy, nutty, spicy and so very well balanced, you don't want to do anything else not to affect that balance but to concentrate on flavors, then concentrate on life and everything about lost and found... that reminded me I had something else veeery similar to this description. Brazil Carmo Fazenda Kaquend Cup Of Excellence coffee!! A sweet, chocolaty, caramel-like coffee with a creamy mouthfeel which starts with lemon, berry, grape-like notes. Eh I was clever enough to combine both. And that was.... go find yourself.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Midnight Ride -- an interesting name for a blend I find to be an amazing morning smoke almost on part with Pease's Chelsea Morning, a favorite.

MR is a more VA/Oriental forward blend. The VAs are definitely a brighter one, so you can get tongue bite with this blend if you're not careful. Then again, I'm pretty susceptible to tongue bite, even with proper smoking technique. There's enough latakia to notice, but not as much as your average latakia mixture. The perique I don't notice as much as Chelsea Morning, but in this case, it's actually to this blend's credit. That's because the orientals in this are so marvelous! Very musky and yet creamy, the orientals stay prominent through the entire bowl. In the last half to third, they leave an almost stinky (but enjoyable stinky) nasal note. I think that that part is when I notice they meld with the VAs nicely.

This was one of the first tobaccos I purchased, based on the reviews here, but I waited a little over a year until I opened it. It's just great, and I'm debating adding it to my short favorites list.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this blend yet! I've smoked 3-4 tins of this the past 3 years or so. I think the main reason for the neglect of a review is based on the overall experience for me.

The tobacco has a nice tin smell and does tend to give the impression of sweetness. The perique is hidden in the nose and doesn't really come out strongly. The appearence is of a dark melange. The oriental is apparent in the nose. The moisture content is not over the top, but as with all tobaccos, open the tin and let it rest with the lid secured on it for a day or two to let the oxygen open up the leaf. The flavor will be much better.

The packing is easy, as it's a rather thin-medium ribbon cut. It takes to the match readily and will stay lit well. I have not tried DGT on this blend, but think that the addition of the orientals would make it a less than optimum candidate. But, there is significant virginia here so... give it a try, who knows?

The flavor of the orientals comes through well and the perique stays in the background for me. The virginias are in good proportion, and play well with the other components. The sweetness in the smell comes through in the flavor as well. The virginias have a sigificant amount of sugar casing, most all va. does to some degree or another, but this one is on the edge of being overdone. Not quite, but close. Overall, the flavor is nice, but doesn't really progress much and the complexities are subtle at best. Not a bad thing. It just is what it is.

I think if I were to have one single reason for putting my four remaining tins of this in the back of my cellar, it would be that the strength of this blend was a bit wimpy. It just couldn't hold my attention and I didn't really look forward to another bowl anytime soon. That generally is the sign of death for a blend in my opinion. If I don't immediately start planning my next bowl, it just isn't going to stick with me long.

I have four tins left of and 8 tin order bought in 2007. I smoked what I believe to be 3 and gave away one. The remaining tins will sit in the cellar until I get the time to put them on e-bay with some other tins that I just don't have interest in and are taking up valuable space. If you like this blend, as so many of my pipe brothers do, keep an eye out and when I list them, take a crack at them.

With the non-smoking community getting it's way in almost every endeavor, I need the room to stock away things I do love for the day when all tobacco will be lost forever. I plan on having enough tobacco in the next year or so to smoke for the rest of my life if need be. Yes that's a tall order, but who knows what will happen next?

If you are into lighter style english blends like this, you will be very happy. Try some. They are re-releasing these and you will get the chance to try a new tin soon. Cheers.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Though the lament for the passing (if that's what it is) of Dunhill's blends is sung by a bigger chorus, some of us have also felt a great sense of loss over the demise of DAN/CAO's Midnight Ride. I'm down to a handful of bowls of this excellent blend and I don't want to hold out hope that I'll encounter a dusty tin or two of this in some out of the way tobacco shop, so now is the time to let go.

Midnight Ride is a rich, full flavored night smoke in the English/Balkan family. The blend notes perhaps suggest an affinity with Dunhill's Nightcap, but Midnight Ride is altogether softer, sweeter, gentler. The tin nose is dominated by smoky Latakia (and why some reviewers seem to feel there is none present here is beyond me) with a dried fruit note in the background. In the pipe, the sugar-rich Virginias come out strong and by mid-bowl manage to bind together a beautifully complex, richly smoky tobacco. Though Paul Revere's midnight ride was frenetic, CAO's Midnight Ride is more designed for star watching and (given its absence from the marketplace) meditations on time, impermanence, death. It is, so they say, better to get those thoughts out before sleep, so that they won't poison your dreams and make you fodder for monsters.

It is unfortunate that DAN tobacco no longer prepares this or its big brother in the Revolutionary War series - the Latakia-heavy Old Ironsides. These were excellent and unique blends. DAN's current offerings under its own label are also fine (London Blend 1000, Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend) but none are copies of the defunct CAO blends. Pity that.

If you're lucky enough to chance upon a tin of Midnight Ride and you have the taste for a rich, sweetish, harmonious English blend, snap it up.

CastelloConrad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CastelloConrad (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This is my very first review (and possibly my ONLY one) but I just had to get on here and let my feelings be known about the demise of my VERY FAVORITE tobacco. I have been smoking pipes most of my life (I am 73 years old) and this blend has given me everything I ever wanted in a blend.

I first started out at eighteen years of age smoking Mixture #79 in the usual Dr. Grabow or Medico pipes purchased at the local Rexall drug store. Over the years, I was given a beautiful GBD Virgin pipe from Smoker's Haven in the mid sixties and so discovered the joys of a higher quality pipe. I smoked the original Blend Eleven from Larus Bros. for several years and was quite satisfied.

Then for some reason I decided to try the higher quality non-aromatics and after quite a bit of experimentation finally settled on Dunhill #965. I smoked this regularly for many years until it seemed to me that it had changed, and was no longer the 'great' blend it used to be. About seven or eight years ago I discovered Midnight Ride. From the first taste, I was in heaven! This blend IMHO beats al others and I have gone through many others including Rattray's offerings, McClelland's, and several from Greg Pease among others including Solani, Friborg and Treyer, Reiner, etc.

Sadly, I have only a few tins of Midnight Ride left and will have to find a suitable substitute (probably Abingdon.) Is there someting better that would be more similar to Midnight Ride, Greg? If anyone knows, please give me a shout at artlo@netscape.com. Also, if anyone has any ot this delightful stuff that they don't particulary care for, let me know.

My highest recommendation=

JackSparrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackSparrow (14)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

CAO definitely hit my taste in EM! Old Ironside and Midnight Ride are my favorite EM: the first for a good Latakia load, the second for orientals. Opening the tin you can smell all latakia aroma and you can expect something really different from what you are going to smoke. It looks (smells) a classical EM, with a balanced mix of latakia, Vas and orientals but…it'is something really different…wow! Ribbon cut, with different grades of golden and brown Virginias and orientals, dark latakia (just a hint despite the smell) and a gentle touch of the peppery PE. Moisture is perfect, when tobacco comes out of tin is ready to be lit, no further drying is necessary. So you can load your bowl and light up. And now starts the symphony …..when just lit latakia leads for a very little while, then VAs sweetness comes out, perfectly balanced with spicy orientals and peppery PE. The peppery notes increase going through the bowl. Latakia is just a perfect complement which plays a fundamental backyard role, together with its black cousin PE. A perfectly balanced and gently spicy blend for full pleasure moments. It's addicting….I'm craving for it more and more!

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't know how I forgot to review Midnight Ride long before this but I will rectify that oversight now. I believe my reason for neglecting this blend in my reviews is because I don't smoke any blends with Latakia in it anymore although thankfully it only plays a supporting role in Midnight Ride. Obviously made with only the highest quality tobaccos by expert master blenders. If you like Oriental blends than this is good as it gets. I don't smoke blends containing Latakia anymore but this blend is so good that I can't help but light up a bowl of Midnight Ride every now and again.

Some are saying, no Latakia. Others, gobs of Latakia. I think it's there, at least in my sample from 2005. The Perique and orientals are also very noticable, against a backdrop of fine Virginias. Whether or not the Latakia is a figment of my imagination, at any rate it is light to my tastes. This is not the sort of thing I would stock up on or rave too much about, but I am enjoying the few bowls in the sample I traded for with Chaplikc. I prefer Virginias and VAPERS in all forms, and especially flake for an everyday smoke, but love to try all sorts of things. There are all sorts of things in here, like multiple Virginias, probably multiple orientals, Perique and (I believe) Latakia, and if they threw one more strain of tobacco in this blend, such as Burley, it might be over the top. As it is, I wouldn't say I would not buy another tin, especially an aged one, but this blend won't be one I cellar a lot of. To its credit, I will say Midnight Ride is a nice puffin' tobacco; I can play with the smoking rate and not worry about bite, blow it out my nose without sneezing from Perique overload, and generally have fun smoking it. It's just that I will probably reach for a VAPER or Lakeland flake next.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)

I'm smoking my last two tins of this wonderful blend. Similar to mild English blends, other than the fact it actually has no Latakia in it, it is deep and soothing. I would recommend it as a crossover for those desiring to change to English blends, but like most great tobacco's this is no longer produced. Sad times, sad times.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

After Noorm?s punctual and complete review, which I completely agree, I should waive to add anything sounding kinda obvious? I apologize with the TR community. Nevertheless MR has not been reviewed so often, moreover seems we have to do with a product going to disappear soon. My further comments are based on 1/3 tin which has been left sleeping approx. two years. The tobacco is not so dry, in perfect conditions for smoking. A Savinelli Riviera, filtered with 9mm balsawood, large bent was used. From char to 1/3 of the bowl the strength is mild to medium, the flavour slightly sweet/piquant/musty and tingles the tongue with occasional sharp notes. The smoke is fresh, the pipe too. To the nose a pleasant biscuity/ spicy/flowery note, to the palate a faint metallic note. In the second third the strength reaches the medium, the bouquet remains unchanged but rounder. The sharper notes disappear replaced by a faintly bitter note. In the last third everything melts in a very round way, and strength remains medium. No gurgles, no bite. Yes: MR smells like some Latakia is present (? and Latakia is an oriental, so maybe the tin description is hiding some ?), or it?s the interplay between the Orientals and Perique, I don?t know. Sure it?s a beautiful medium English mixture to be enjoyed in the leisure time. The quality of the leaves looks beautiful both to the eye and the fingers. The smoke qualities are one-of-a-kind, a true pleasure, the Orientals having the main role. Seems to me that it keeps the properties of the English mixtures of old. Even, I should agree with Sasha and Beer, it?s a bit weak in the body. Four stars, no doubt.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)

It has been a while since I smoked this but I will always try to keep a tin around because of the wonderful flavor. The perique tobacco adds some good spice to this blend. After it's all lit up, I experience hints of orange and a creamy, nutty flavor that continues throughout the bowl. A good flavor especially if you like un-cased blends.

peacepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peacepipe (16)
Strong None Detected Full Extra Strong

[update, Jan. 25 2008. As a few others have been, I was 'fooled' into thinking that this was an 'English' blend and have recently learned/realized that there is indeed zero Latakia in this mixture. It does, however, have scads of Perique, which I've sadly developed an intolerance for (irritation, sinus reaction)--which his too bad, since I do enjoy Perique blends and even got a kick out of the small batch of plain perique I'd once sampled. That being said, not being a 'revisionist', here's what I wrote a few years back:]

One of the first English/Latakia-based blends that I tried, when I began exploring the joys and mysteries of pipe tobaccos in earnest 5 years ago.

Lacking the accrid intensity of, say, The Balkan Sobranie (I've only tried the last, pouched offerings of that revered blend), this is nonetheless not a meek smoke. There is a poetic sweetness about it without even a twinge of caramelized, cavendishy sugar essence. Midnight Ride was my first experience of just how rich and complex an English can be while retaining a sweetness and a lightness that simply can't be appreciated or understood by the uninitiated who pass by and sneer at its smokiness. Which, by the way, I've never understood, since I love it when I get whisps of Latakia and full VAs from another smoker. It's like a campfire or other intoxicating smells of nature.

By the way, isn't this tabak produced BY Dan FOR CAO, or are there actually 2 different MRs available (tobaccoreviews.com features 2 different tabaks with this name, one made by "Dan Tobaccos" and the other by "CAO") ... somebody help me out here ...

Highly reccomended for the Latakia lover who enjoys strength without the severity of the strongest English/Oriental smokes. Ride on, man!

LearnedHandsome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LearnedHandsome (10)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is truly a first class blend. It is a cool, full bodied smoke. Midnight Ride smokes brilliantly two minutes after you buy the tin, which is pleasantly surprising; it seems every smoke these days requires a few hours of drying time in the air before it is tolerable.

The ribbon cut burns very well and I would give this blend four stars if it were not quite as heavy. It is just a bit too smoky. I like the lighter English blends; I like tobaccos where I can smoke three or four bowls consecutively. This is not a light blend, but for those who like the heavier tobaccos, this is much more interesting than Dunhill 965, which is as much a standard as 'night and day'.

In every category I find that Dunhill is excellent, but someone else is better. If you like full bodied English blends, Midnight Ride is an excellent choice, perhaps the best because of its interesting, rich flavor that does not rely solely on brute strength.

billbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billbo (8)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend was a pleasant suprize ! I smoked to the bottom of my pipe and with each puff the flavor became better and a mild change throught the smoke. Wife does not like the room note. So this is an outside smoke for me which makes it better (more relaxing smoke) I love the Perique and will put this blend into my rotation. I highly recommend this Blend.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is made for those nights on the deck reading a book or just relaxing. The intermingling of the VA's and Orientals are superbly balanced and there is just enough Perique to make this blend, well for a lack of a better term awesome. There is a noticeable amount of Parique in the tin note, I smelled fermented fruit and woody notes along with just a but of Oriental spice. Once lit the tobacco had more of the woody (dark wood) taste along with sweetness from the VA. tobacco. As the bowl progressed the tobacco became more rich and complex with the different tobaccos each taking the stage and bowing out as an other took the spotlight. This is not easily done without becoming overwhelming, but CAO seems to have mastered it with this blend. The Perique never becomes too strong but is always in the background providing good body and one of the finest blends I have had in a long time.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

I?m a product of public schooling alas and alack a day, I always thought Paul Reveres ride was through Boston. The folks at CAO seem to differ with that misguided notion; Paul Revere clearly rode through St. James Parish. This is some Perique serious smoke. I?m guessing the fellow with this regularly in his front pocket has a back pocket with a bottle of hot sauce in it. I am not panning this, I liked it a lot, just as I like to put some habaneras sauce on crawdaddys; just not every day and never for breakfast.

Midnight Ride is very similar to Presbyterian Mixture in a lot of respects. For one, both fool many smokers into thinking there is Latakia present..... Neither contains Latakia but Midnight Ride does include Perique which is not found in Presby.

The tobacco is well conceived and burns clean with no harshness or bite. Perique fans will rejoice, particularly at mid-bowl. The Orientals have been revved up and will present an almost "English" taste to the overall effect.

I personally did not find Midnight Ride to be as impressive as I had hoped. Too little clout and too "smokey" tasting for my palate.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have little to add to Noorrmm's excellent review except to say that I suspect the confusion that have about the latakia which is NOT in this blend is due to the fact that for some, the interplay between the orientals and perique may be the source of said confusion.

Highly recommended.

SFC Psaki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC Psaki (7)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I like this blend for the reasons stated by others. It is a great combination of tangy, sweet, and smoky. It reminds of a barbecue on the vinegary side, and that is a good thing. There is a great confluence of flavors in this blend. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Caledonian Grand Reserve no. 466, which was an all-time favorite.

Really unique blend, a favorite.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

10/02/2004:I gave this four stars even though G.L Pease Blackpoint is one star ahead of Midnight Ride. This one is on a par with Dunhill Medium English, Squadron Leader, Presbyterian Mix and many other fine tobaccos. Here's the problem, once you use a large enough portion of quality Latakia, these English and Balkans to some extent are hard to tell apart. The Latakia sort of overwhelms the tastebuds and all the other tobaccos and flavors become hard to find in the blend. I think it would be nearly impossible to judge this type of tobacco in a double-blind test for that reason.

11/17/2006 Update: Too much Latakia for me. Three stars if you love Latakia.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've not sampled much of this blend, but from what I tasted, I liked it. Full bodied without too heavy of a latakia hit, but enough for enjoying. Room note wasn't all the outstanding, however, and resident room-note expert gave it one thumbs down.

I'll revisit my review after getting a full tin. For now, 3 stars.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Nice mixture of light to dark, with everything in between. The ribbon cut is fairly long and of medium width.

Aroma: Great Oriental spicy/nutty aroma with Virginia sweetness and a hint of fermented fruit. (Perique?) Almost smells like some Latakia present.

Packing: Packs easily into any pipe, just don?t over-pack the small ones.

Lighting: Lights easily, just tamp and relight.

Initial flavor: Wow, really rich. Great interplay of Virginia and Oriental. The Perique merely adds some fruitiness to the Va.

Mid-bowl: Great complexity, marvelous nuances in the smoke when puffed slowly. Can get hot if over-puffed, but this is not a work day blend. It shines when you can relax with it. Finish: Ends on a great note, no noticeable change until it?s gone. Pipe is clean and dry always.

Summary: I wasn?t sure about the Latakia, so I waved a can in front of Greg Pease. He confirmed that there wasn?t any present. My only complaint about this blend is that Dan doesn?t put it up in larger cans or bags.

bushi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bushi (12)

The first thing I noticed with this blend was the perique. I enjoy perique so this didn't bother me. The latakia & orientals shine here, with the spicey perique coming in subtly as you smoke your bowl. A wonderful smoke can be found by taking it easy. Go too fast and you will end up with tongue bite. Smokes consistent in any size bowl. TASTEY!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh, Mr. Revere, I didn't know your midnight ride could inspire such tobacco greatness! I made the mistake of smoking this at the end of the day after my mouth was seasoned from soul food and latakia; big mistake. This is the first smoke of the day or early afternoon blend. You need a clean palate to taste the myriad of subtle yet sublime flavors in this contemplative mixture. This is the perfect VA/Oriental/Perique with hints of latakia for spice. CAO blended these consummately without one overcrowding the other. I hope all the batches are consistent because if they are, this will be counted among my regulars. The aroma is very similar to Germain's Royal Jersey or 1820, with that sour apple tanginess. As Old Ironsides is CAO's signature latakia chorus, Midnight Ride is its VA/O/P counter melody. My pipe pal indicates to me that he much prefers European VA/Perique blends to American. Though I don't favor one over the other, I must admit, European VAs are different and less forward than their American counterpart. Should you choose to smoke this at night, make sure you haven't smoked heavy blends or eaten spicy foods, as you'll never taste all of MR's delightful subtleties. Hats off to CAO/Dan!

Five of five stars ----------- Update - 12/7/05

Something happened. As with a number of European tobaccos I've revisited, Dan, Dunhill & Rattray among them, these blends they are a changing. This stuff is strong & juicy. It lacks the depth of aroma & flavor it once had. It's not terrible, but compared to my glowing review above, it has changed. It's less smokey; less apple flavored; less Germainy. Or maybe I'm getting so much pleasure from American English blends by C & D, that this stuff doesn't do it for me any longer. Old Ironsides, also by Dan, was a big disappointment when I tried it the second time. Another tobacco which will live in infamy.

Two and a half of five stars

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Suprisingly bitey for an English, Midnight Ride starts out with a big perique blast, and then settles down to a nice, full English in the second half of the bowl. I care for the first half of the bowl--nippy and pungent--less and less the more I smoke of this tobacco. The second half is uniformly good, although it can run to some bitterness in some pipes. I've smoked a full tin of this blend in a variety of pipes: clays, large and small briars, pyrolitics, cobs. Midnight Ride is pretty consistent across all types of pipes, although the full experience, such as it is, is muted somewhat in smaller-bored pipes. This is the badger of English tobaccos.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was told by some friends about how great this blend was, but I have been a little disapponted. Not that I mean this is a foul mixture, but it lacks something in body. To me, such a good taste evolution along the bowl simply has to be supported by some "guts" that are missed here. However, this to me is more of a perique-oriental blend than an English Mixture: it's cool, dry, with sometimes a pleasant bitterish taste and a "winey" flavour throughout the bowl I could have sincerely done without. I suggest you a medium to large pipe, to enhance the flavour evolution that would be missed if you don't leave it some room.

OH, so sweet is this leaf!I rarely give 5 of 4 stars to anything ,but this truly deserves it!I will tell you exactly what this tastes like.Take Presbyterian Mixture have it wed Germain's Royal Jersey Latakia Mixture and you have their child-Midnight Ride. This is by far the best Oriental/Virginia/Perique mixture on the market.There are so many layers of flavor that it would take pages to describe them.Nutty,sweet,and slightly sour with a wisp of Latakia in the background. All English blend smokers should try this and some natural aromatic smokers should also.A little expensive,but well worth the price. Stunning!

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

I recently decided to splurge on a tin of this from Mars Cigars and Pipes for $8.25 which is not too bad for a tin of truly quality tobacco. The tin is an art in itself and the contents are packed ala Macbaren with a round flap of paper with a compass to remove. This is where the two similarities end. This tobacco has thin ribbon cuts of all colors like autumn leaves and has a wonderful tin aroma. Fruit like and smokey with alot of smoke volume and no bite. I packed a fresh bowl right from the tin and there was no gurgling or relights so this came at the right humidity for me. Smoked two more bowls last night watching the movie "The Fog" a great 1981 horror flick about ghost pirates that attack in the fog and each bowl of midnight ride was better than the last. Smooth and tasty until it burned down to a nice fluffy ash.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

This blend is very unique. The tin aroma is sweet, tangy and slightly musty. The oriental tobaccos, virginias and perique blend well. The Latakia stays in the background for the most part, but its always subtly present. The flavor, while quite full, is not overwhelming and this makes for a very pleasurable smoke. It burns cool, dry and with clean ash all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This is an excellent blend I give 4 stars, however it's one star behind Blackpoint.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

I am so cheap you have to pry my hands open to get a quarter from me. I hate spending too much on my tobacco but this blend is worth every penny. This is a wonderful smoke I like everything about this tobacco, it has a great aroma and taste. Like many people who reviewed this I was originally drawn to the tin art. I also read the reviews on this site which made me even more eager to try it. This is a real treat for me since I often smoke cheap burley blends while on the go or working. The rich flavor, which might be the perique, makes this so relaxing to smoke. Upon smoking the first tin, Midnight Ride, became my favorite for those rare quiet times that I can sit back and enjoy a really good smoke.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess the reviewer "Memlapse" and I share a similar capriciousness when it comes to selecting tobaccos scientifically. I couldn't resist Midnight Ride" simply because I'm an American Revolution and Civil War buff. But, as with "Memlapse", Midnight Ride took me captive without firing a shot. I can easily echo every positive comment made by the others about Midnight Ride. In fact, I seem to always be "almost out" of it even though I buy 7 or 8 tins at a time. Every pipe smoker should give Midnight Ride a try regardless of what their "usual" preferences are. If nothing else, it should be a delightful "change-up" smoke for almost anyone. It's that good! Four Stars,... and a hearty Hi-Ho Silver to Midnight Ride!

Tiger

JeffreyMorgan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JeffreyMorgan (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Based on the previous reviews I bought a tin. The tin aroma was strong and not pleasant to me. The cut is rough but the moisture content seemed good and packed well. The taste was not like the tin smell would make you believe. It was smooth and fantastic and if smoked hard had some tongue. Really nice blend, will continue to smoke this one.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Frankly I expected more from this tobacco, at least after reading the enthusiastic reviews here. Old Ironsides is a favorite of mine, but this other CAO offering suits my taste a bit less... It is a good tobacco, but it's not my favorite kind. The tin aroma is very pungent and spicy: lots of red/brownish leaves, and a good dose of black ones (latakia and perique). The cut is rather rough, not as even and fine as in Dunhill's blends. The smoke has a very distinct flavour, just as spicy and pungent as the tin aroma: the problem with me is that while it is pungent, in contrast it sometimes lacks in fullness. A big first moment impact, but then little "meat"... In a similar vein, I prefer Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium: sweeter and much more balanced, probably due to a stronger Virginia presence in comparison to Midnight Ride. I don't mean that I don't like MR, but it doesn't end up as one of the tobaccos that I'd choose blindly any time for a completely satisfying smoke: I still prefer straight Virginias (especially in flake form) and high-Latakia English mixtures. Anyway, after almost finishing the tin, I must say that it is slowly growing on me (or maybe having left the tin open for a while improved its qualities), especially because of the very pleasant nutty taste, but just falls a bit short of the mark. To end the review, a note on the burning qualities: perfect. Midnight Ride leaves one of the cleanest, driest and whitest ashes I have ever witnessed! This as a consequence of a very cool and dry smoke: a quality that must not be quickly dismissed.

smokeasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeasaurus (3)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

i bought this because it had a 4 star rating and i like cao cigars. very good choice. thanks to all for the high rating. i will be smoking this often.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I do not have the time to describe the attributes of this tobacco in detail as others do. However, as I do wish to contribute some feedback, I will simply rate this tobacco on a scale of 1 ?10, including tenths.

I no longer smoke English blends but when I did this was one of my favorites. I rate this tobacco 9.9 out of 10.

thedigger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedigger (17)

This one is a winner! I liked this one the first time I tried it (and it generally takes a few bowls for me to warm up to a new blend). The Orientals make it a sweet experience; The Perique makes it a full and spicy experience with an interesting finish. To top it all off, it burns excellent! (The first C.A.O. Blend that I've tried that impressed me.) It even looks good on my shelf! This is also the first C.A.O. blend that I found worthy of the price tag.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

As other reviewers have mentioned the tin art prompted me to try this blend.I purchased it at the historic shop of L.J.Peretti in Boston,MA.Believe it or not I bought it on the Anniversary of Revere's faithful ride.It smells delicious in the tin.It smokes cool in my pipe.I believe it's a real stand-out among tobaccos.When I'm tired of everything else it's a welcome change from the norm of the thick english blends I usually smoke.I also bought a tin to cellar.I'll try it in a few years... Recommended! prep

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is by far the best cao blend i've had. It is wonderfully complex, smooth, round and unique in that I don't know much to compare it to. There is a vortex of flavor here that swirls through out the bowl and keeps my attention. Just an excellant blend that has many high points and very few if any flaws in my opinion. Smokes cool and the aroma is very approvable to those who love turkish or english blends. Highly recomended to turkish or english lovers or any one that wants to try a unique, savory blend. Edit: 5-18-11 - I have noticed many reviewers State that there is no latakia in this blend. ALL of the tins I have smoked contain latakia with out a doubt. All of the tins I have smoked are CAO versions. Is there a difference between the CAO and Dan blend Midnight Ride?

lvnvbiker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvnvbiker (15)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Black Dog thank you for this one! Got a sample and bought a few tins the next day! Good flavors and complexity, an all around hit as far as taste goes. The wife will most likely hate the room note, but it is tolerable to mine even though it is note her favorite! A must try baccy this one.

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)

I've smoked several bowls of Midnight Ride, and I love this stuff. It's got a great sweet/sour flavor that I have not found in any other tobacco. At first the tin aroma put me off, sort of a musty sour smell, but the flavor is wonderful. I'd liken it to gently fermented raisins, with latakia for an undertone spice,and the perique for the high notes. They all work together wonderfully. Highly recommended!!

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my favorite from the folks at Dan Tobacco and CAO. This blend is very well balanced and is the only blend that contains Perique and does not trigger an allegic reaction in me.I can't really call it a "English" blend but rather find it to be in a class all by itself. It can be smoked all day and is not sensitive to bowl size. After three tins, the consistency is still the same. This blend is so unique, that I usually smoke it on special occassions. No dottle is left in the pipe and leaves a fine white ash.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice smoke. It starts out mild and very well blended with no one tobacco taking charge. The Latakia stays in the background, but not silent. The Perique offers a nice offset to the Virginia and Oriental mixture. As the smoke progresses, the flavors integrate well to provide a very harmonious taste.

I enjoyed this smoke but was left feeling that it needed something to make it standout. maybe next time.

memlapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
memlapse (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I grabbed a tin because I liked the picture on the lid. Proabably not the best reason, but I've done ignorant things for worse reasons.

The tin aroma actually gives you an indication of what you're going to taste. The oriental jumps out of the tin. The same thing happened upon firing it up. The oriental and perique starting yelling at me right from the start. They started quieting down once I was about a third of the way through the bowl. That's when the virginia started talking to me. The latakia stayed pretty quiet. Every once in a while it would make a comment or mummur in the background.

This smoke makes for a nice break from the english blends I'm so fond of. I refrain from comparing it to those blends since it has it's own distinction.

I bought an extra tin for aging. I'll let you know what some shelf-time does for this pleasant bit of tobac.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is only my second Dan tobacco I have ever tried. London Blend 1000 was certainly a lovely and inspiring introduction to Dan products. On opening the tin of Midnight Ride(which I decided to try next based on reviews read here) I could not help but be reminded of the aroma of And So To Bed by Esoterica. The flavor however is not the same as the Esoterica blend. I really enjoyed this tobacco and find it most flavorful in a way that requires attention to appreciate the complexity of the experience. This is an English blend that contains some perique. It is a very well balanced blend and I look forward to having another bowl as soon as I get home from work. Four and a half stars.

PuffNStuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffNStuff (10)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Midnight Ride from C.A.O. has rapidly become one of my favorite tobaccos. From the moment I opened the tin and smelled that pungent aroma, I knew that this was going to be a special treat. Upon lighting my first bowl, I was not disappointed. This blend has a "sweet and sour" quality that?s hard to describe. Both sensations are well-balanced and occasionally I get a hint of a citrus-like flavor. This is the first blend I?ve tried that contains Perique, and it?s obviously responsible for the quality described above. The pungency may not appeal to some, but I think it is well-done. The flavor, while quite full, is not overwhelming and this blend makes for a very pleasurable smoke. I burned cool and dry with clean ash all the way to the bottom of the bowl with minimum relighting. I would recommend this as an after-dinner, relax-on-the-porch smoke. Masterfully done. A big 4 stars.

Covenanter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Covenanter (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I am a sucker for interesting ads or compelling pictures, and amongst all the tins at the Tobacconist this one really caught my eye. Anxious rider, sleeping town with dark windows, the bare branches on the trees and shadows cast from moonlight...nice!

The tin says it has Orientals (my pref) Virginia's (another favorite) and ...Perique!?

I tried it anyway, being my first experience with Perique. In the tin, it has a good tobacco odor, with just a hint of "sour" which has to be the Perique. The Tobacco inside is golden, chocolate and deep brown, with a few big "chunks" but not a lot of moisture.

Became my favorite blend on the top part of the first bowl. Lights nice, smells great (slightly exotic) and has a pleasing flavor all its own. The Orientals and Virginias where not really remarkable (still great) and the Perique politely introduces itself at random moments, lingers and then lurks in the back for a bit, like a waiter in a 5 star restaraunt.

If you are looking for a first go with Perique, I would highly recommend this blend.

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

If Paul Revere was smoking Midnight ride, he may not have been in such a hurry. I know I wouldn't have been. Even the tin aroma, sweet, tangy and slightly earthy or musty. This is a tobacco I savor from first light to the last appreciated puff (fortunately it usually burns to a clean ash). I have a silver spigot Peterson which has seen nothign else - usually only special virginias or certain unique tobaccos are 'deedicated' in my pipes. The oriental tobaccos have a heavy presence but there are two other heavy hitters in this blend; virginias and a healthy dose of perique. Neither dominates the blend to the extent that it overshadows the other components- though the orientals seem to have the first run, followed by the virginias and finally the perique towards the end of the bowl. It is a very satisfying blend to smoke anytime, though I usually enjoy a pipeful most after dinner when I'm in no hurry smokin