This blend commemorates the crossing of the Delaware River by George Washington and his troops on that cold December day. It was a brave testimonial to their strong desire for liberty. Naturally bright and sweet Virginia grade tobaccos provide for a wonderful medium bodied smoke.

BrandDan Tobacco
2.3
panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A heavily cased (though not at all goopy, just heavy in the smell and taste) Virginia Tobacco. Upon opening the tin, I was hit with a massive aroma, of what I'm not quite sure. I passed the tin to my better half (she has a nose that is amazing in picking out aromas) and she immediately said it reminded her of the Catholic incense which she used to smell in church. Not being Catholic, I took her word for it. Upon lighting, it had a very sweet and strong taste of what I equated with blueberries. Halfway through the bowl, this flavoring diminished, and I could detect a nice Virginia hay taste on the palate. She said the room note was quite nice until the last third of the bowl. I suspect this is where the topping completely burned off, as I was getting almost nothing but pure Virginia taste at this point. All in all, not a bad tobacco, and seemed to contain good quality leaf, but certainly not going into my rotation. Mild in nicotine, okay on flavor. It burned very nicely, cool from start to finish, leaving a fine white ash and no dottle whatsoever. A dedicated aromatic smoker would likely give it a higher rating than 2, but this one just couldn't pass the "I love this stuff" test. 2 out of 2 stars here.

And BTW, DAN Tobacco makes some of the finest blends on the planet in my opinion. Old Ironsides, Midnight Ride, Patriot Flake, and Hamborger Veermaster being four of them. This one just didn't do it for me. Sorry DAN, your Liberty offering was almost awful in comparison to the above stellar blends.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 601 Briar

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mottled black and brown ribbon cut with a tin nose of fruit. As it's a synthetic smell, it's hard to tell which fruit. Perhaps cherry. At any rate, I should have consulted TR.com before purchase. But it was quite well aged and it's a good opportunity to see what aging does to an aromatic tobacco blend. Plus I like the tin art on these old Dan blends. And it was cheap. :)

The Virginia leaf in this blend appears to be of high quality and there's a definite tobacco taste beneath the flavoring, which incidentally has a sort of Lakeland essence to it as well. But that didn't save it from being disastrous in the taste department. It had the typical cloying, cough syrupy essence of your typical American aromatic but it wasn't as goopy. It smoked very dry. Those U.S pipe companies that make aromatics would do well to study this one as an example of how to make an aromatic that isn't dripping in sauce or PG. In fact, even though this tin was sealed, the tobacco was on the dry side. But to be fair, a lot of the OTC aromatics are pretty well made; it's just that this one used a high quality Virginia as its base instead of burley of dubious quality.

Hard to recommend, but that's mostly pointless anyway since this is out of production... and it's not hard to understand why. If aging helped this any, it was pretty awful fresh. 1 star for my personal taste, 2 stars for it's good leaf and restraint on the sauce.

Pipe Used: meerschaum dedicated to aromatics

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was one of those blends that, initially, I was not sure I would be coming back to. I did not like my first bowl or two of Liberty, as it was too strongly cased and a bit soapy. It seems to have mellowed a little with time (2 to 3 months since opening the tin), and is now becoming a very nice, albeit noticeably cased, smoke.

The unique cherry flavoring is quite evident upon opening the tin, and does come through after lighting. But the Virginia certainly presents itself nicely, and it burns well down to the bottom of the bowl, leaving a medium gray ash and very little dottle.

This is definitely not a good choice for regular English-smokers, or anyone looking for a big kick of nicotine (or as my friend Jon says, "Vitamin N"), but it may appeal to an aromatic fan.

I am quite pleased that this has become an enjoyable smoke for me, and I hope that, given the chance, it may become one for you, too.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Mild Extra Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Updated 1/09

Did you ever have a tobacco you liked and then didn't really care for after a couple of years? Liberty falls into that category for me. This isn't bad but either the flavor gets more intense after years in the tin (my tins are 5+ years old) or my tastes have changed. What I used to enjoy was the odd cherry flavor of this blend mixed with va/latakia; Liberty now tastes more like Cherry Nyquil, to me, than anything.

I don't believe this is produced any longer so good luck finding a tin.

Liberty is a virginia and latakia blend with some flavored black cavendish thrown into the mix. I don't know what the flavoring is (my nose tells me that it's some sort of cherry concoction) but regardless, this is different and not bad at all.

One recommendation is that I would dedicate a pipe to this tobacco or try it in one of your "yard" pipes before filling up your favorite hand-made briar with this mixture. The flavoring is strong - and the tobacco actually tastes like it smells.

Novangelus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Novangelus (7)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Soapy . . . I will not be seeking more of this blend. I have given it several tries with varying degrees of dryness and I continue to get that soapy taste throughout the smoke. I really wanted to like this as I like Virginias but Liberty is not to my liking.

herfinmickey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
herfinmickey (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin of Liberty I detected a very discernible "perfuming" of the tobacco. The scent increased in presence subsequent to lighting. I was expecting the worst at this point - tongue scorching and aromatic gases without tobacco flavor. However it turns out that I was pleasantly surprised. Liberty is very good. This tobacco possesses a very nice toasty and round flavor, is very smooth and has just the right level of bright sweetness. It burns even and cool emitting a smooth feeling but generally mild smoke. As I contentedly puffed away I tried to place where I had previously experienced the "perfume" that distinguishes this blend. Then it came to me; Once while in Haifa, Israel I had purchased some snuff from a small shop next to an outdoor cafe where men played chess and drank coffee. That snuff packaged in an embossed, flat, red plastic container had the same perfumed aroma. You will not notice any Latakia, Perique, Cavendish or any other strong traditional flavors in Liberty, it's just a nice smooth Virginia blend with that unique"perfume". Even as one who dislikes aromatics I find Liberty to be a very nice change of pace. Even a treat. Recommended.

vincenzo peruggia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vincenzo peruggia (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Sorry guys . A story with this one .Before i left cigarettes for good I frequented a jazz club that would not allow cigarettes but condoned the lighting of pipes! I would bring my corn cob and some Orlik Gold ! One particular night a barback sprinkled what I later found out to be some Fribourg& Tryer seville Snuff tobbaco in my corn cob. Naturally i did not complain . I was amazed. It was a great night;music awesome new tobbaco revelation awesome! There must be seville in this stuff and i can't smoke it every day !I may go 1 week or even a month without liberty but when I want it I want it real bad! I am hording tins in case they discontinue;and if that runs out ihave a few ounces of Seville that will last my lifetime!Previous reviewers are right put it in a cheapie before delegating to a primo pipe! Once there Liberty stays there! Thank goodness ! Vincenzo Try it

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Not exactly what I had in mind when I popped the tin, I still enjoy this occasionally and think it's a fine blend.

The tobacco packs easily, stays lit well, has a nice aroma (I'm thinking maple syrup) in the tin and room and burns well. I've been taking occasional bowls from the same tin for the last few years and don't notice much difference from when the tin was first opened.

Others here talk about latakia. I never taste it in this blend, so it must be used sparingly as just a spice note. I normally taste very high quality Virginias and whatever the added casing is. The casing (or possibly the latakia?) has an almost perique note to it also. It's not strong but you can feel a slight bite and get that taste on your tongue through the bowl.

Not an everyday smoke but still a good one.

Insocal97 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Insocal97 (3)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

This is probably one of the most controversial tobaccos available. It is true that the tobacco has a very strong perfumey scent. The first time I smoked it I thought it was awful, being overwhelmed by the strong perfume taste. Being too cheap to just throw it out I tossed it in the back of a closet, fearing it would kill my plants if I used it as garden mulch.

After several months I found it again, and noticed it had dried out and calmed down considerably, to the point of being tolerably smokable. Gradually I came to find it pleasant, and eventually ended up liking it enough to smoke through the entire tin. I would liken it somewhat to smoking an incense stick, or at least tobacco laced with incense. But it does hit the spot when you are in a mood for something different. It is otherwise rather mild and generally interesting. So don't be afraid to try this stuff, and give it a chance if you do. It is probably unlike any other tobacco you've tried. With that caveat, I do recommend it.

One final note, do dedicate a corn cob or other cheap pipe to this, since I doubt you would ever get the flavor out of any pipe you put this in.

AddsaVocalTint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AddsaVocalTint (1)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Full Overwhelming

This is likely the most disgusting tobacco I have ever smoked; it was like licking the inside of a perfume bottle, and not a good perfume at that. Simply revolting.

Medium Extra Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I hate deception, and this is a prime example of it. This is really a cheap marketing ploy that angered me. DAN tobacco discontinued SAM MALLOY"S EXTRA STOUT and guess what? They remarketed it under the name of "LIBERTY". If you want to know what this is read the Sam Malloy's review. Oh, by the way, I gave that 1 star.