Fullbodied Virginia Flake Tobacco

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

2.9
ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (13)

Well it was my first flake tobacco. I must admitt i wasnt really into it at first. It is strong at first but mellows out after a while. No flavoring to say the least, burns slow and even. After my third or fourth smoke I started noticing some sweetness from the virginias and a the pure taste of the quality tobacco.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

UPDATE FEB19/2009:

I'm keeping to practice the same protocol of smoking intensively one tin at time during the working week. This week was reserved to Skipper's Flake.

I basically confirm my first review and maintain the same rating.

Just: 1) room note rating has been a bit revised, on the other hand the wife's rating never exceeds the simple toleration... 2) after five days in the leather bag SF is not dry yet, meaning that some humectant has been used - that's typical of Dan's; I notice a very faint note of anise her and there.

I have to admit that SF is near the top of my preferences, but also find myself bit bored... not to the extent of SG's BBF. The smoke is unidimensional, but the strength is very satisfying even in the morning.

I have grabbed and cellared a couple of tins.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This is a very good fellow, of the likes of SG's FVF or CAO's Patriot Flake, or McConnell's Scottish Flake. Not very complex, but a completely satisfying medium to strong smoke. The kind of thing You would smoke in the afternoon after having smoked Capstan in the morning, just a darker and rustic continuation. Full bodied plain Virginias, the label tells, that's simply what this very good and honest flake is, to be smoked into small to medium bowls. I look forward to reading very soon some deeper reviews of the more experienced men at TR! Skipper's deserves. Three stars out of four.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (37)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

While this is a decent tasting Virgina, this is a bit too strong for me. Not to the extent of Gawith's 1792, but trailing close behind.

Voluptatus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Voluptatus (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Very natural, very sweet. That's it. It is not so strong as some reviews suggest. The strength is comparable with the St. Bernard Flake from Dan Tobacco. For me it's undimensional, but sometimes quite the thing. I think I can taste the very good Virginias that are used to create this blend. A nice smoke if you smoke calmly and intently. Beware of the tongue bite.

My best friend bought a tin of this last time we visited Dan Pipe's facilities, and his verdict was that this was pretty close to Peterson's University Flake in strength, with less flavouring. So, of course, I gave it a few tries.

The presentation in the tin is relatively short slices of flake, thinly cut. The leaf is bright, the aroma pure VA. For me, a highly welcome first from Dan Tobacco.

Out of the tin, the slices are a little on the moist side, but rubbed out, it'll burn nicely. This stuff tastes great; I highly recommend for VA flake lovers; this is a bit of a must-try. The comparison with University Flake is a bit off; to me, UF is a fair bit stronger. Then again, for a pure VA flake, this stuff is excellent. I'd probably love it in a fold&sink cut; as it is, it is either the most miniscule bowls or rubbing it out. It works well either way, and I'll buy some more soon.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)

update: going through my reviews here, i find that i'll have to downgrade a good deal of the praise i've given so many blends. 4 stars should, i feel, be reserved for the blends i find truly exceptional. so, this is downgraded a bit. end update.

first of all: this is not air cured, but flue cured...

a couple of months ago, i bought a tin of skipper's flake. the first pipefull did not appeal to me. i found it somehow "off", and didn't like the flavouring i felt had been applied to it. i jarred it, thinking that it might improve with a little enclosed airing.

today, i've given it another try, and i was certainly right in thinking that it might improve. here goes:

tin aroma: very "old belt"'ish. clean and neat, tobaccoey, with only a hint of dried fruits or berries. perhaps a bit of fermented hay and some oat flavour.

it's a bit brittle (but perhaps the jar was not absolutely air tight), and easy to pack and light.

the first impression is that of well aged virginia, with absolutely no additives to be noticed. it's a bit sharp, and quite strong for a pure virginia. this reminds me very much of an old belt flake that w.ø.larsen used to make, only without the ghastly flavouring, and a bit stronger. a little malty, sweet in a non-obtrusive way, and a classical taste of grass and hay. being german, it's probably got quite a few additives, but i don't notice them in any way. they're certainly not as up front as in many other continental virginia flakes.

relights reveal deeper and more mellow flavours, and the sharpness recedes. i could well imagine that this is the backbone of the delightful va/per st. bernard from the same manufacturer.

it's a joy to smoke for anyone who cares for a standard virginia experience - and my guess is that it will be even better with a few years of aging.

Gunnar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gunnar (9)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another nice VA flake, quite strong for my taste. You should avoid it if you are afraid of tongue bite; has to be smoked extremely careful to avoid it.

This is how I finish my day - my last bowl before I go to sleep is almost always Skipper's Flake. Very tasty, and enough nicotine to survive the night...