BrandDan Tobacco
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin Of Broder Peterson, I was greeted with a deep scent of raisins and figs, the smell of a well aged VaPer. There is a topping on this broken flake too, but I am not sure if it's rum or something else. The flavor is that of an aged VaPer as my tin was about ten years old and I'm not sure if this blend is made any longer. The light added flavor doesn't get in the way of the tobacco at all, actually it enhances it nicely. I agree with “Skando” as this is on the lighter end of the spectrum verses Escudo. The perique is added with a much lighter hand. It's a shame that I don't have access to more as I went through the first half of my only tin is just a few days. If you find an old tin, buy it, you won't be disappointed. Recommended.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being this my first review, I have choosen this VaPer by DTM which I'm wondering why nobody else has commented yet, since it deserves. It's packed into a small round tin with a fine picture of the like of other Dan/CAO products, showing this old captain Broder Petersen with a bent pipe. At the opening the aroma is sweet virginia and the dryed-figs aroma of perique is definately there and enough to promise this mixture will not bore you. I don't detect any particular topping in the tin aroma. The cut is a thing between a medium-fine cut with small pieces of broken flake inside. It's not so much wet at the opening, but I dryed it some hours, not more, I did fear it tends to dry quickly like all the products of this kind. No problem: my tin was finished in a week ... In my opinion BP is a gentle example in it's genre, quite less heavy of Escudo or Three Nuns (just to name two famous ones which are no more imported in Italy from long time, sob!). Because of its strength, body and taste, going from mild to medium, it works well for an all-day smoke. I haven't been able to trace any chemical flavour. Will put more attention in the next tin. I have smoked prevalently in straight pipes of medium size. Particularly in a '70 Parker billiard-with-long-stem it did work really sweet, round and cool. To me it's really recommendable.

* EDIT REVIEW 03/23/2007

I'm going to finish the second of three tins and, still awaiting a some-other-nice-guy's review, I need to correct a bit my ratings. Yes, there is a very mild rum topping, and the taste is medium. I still appreciate this tobacco very very much and I will keep it in my usual rotation.

* EDIT REVIEW 03/24/2009

Two years and some tins of this later... the contents of the tin of this current batch is showing to be a flake, the most part fully rubbed out. I'm detecting a more pronounced rum note, both in the taste and the room. Nevertheless the rum topping and the Perique are used very discretly, and the result is a very balanced smoke. BPSPM has a great appeal on me, and I'm finding myself giving the most of my preferences to Dan.