None provided. Aged 12 weeks in Malt Whiskey

2.5
StasV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StasV (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good. Just a good lightly flavored tobacco. Seemed too dry at first when i opened the pouch (unlike the sticky MacBite 7 Seas), but packed quite easily and needed absolutely no relights, burning to white ash in the end. Burns quite hot! Having tried Malthouse and MB 7 Seas Original out of dedicated mini corncobs, i expected this tobacco to burn faster than 7S, which lasted around 20 minutes in my minicob. But this tobacco provided me with 30 minutes of pleasure in such a tiny bowl!! A good and affordable tobacco.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

A really nice light, mild smoke. The single malt is almost an after thought as the bowl smokes through. As with other Dan products, I am subject to tongue bite, and it is again present. This is another good example of the way a "whiskey blend" should taste. Slightly sweetish, peatish and I swear a slight taste of pepper freshly ground. I can see this in front of the fire watching grandkids open presents. If you constantly have a pipe in your mouth like me, this is a good to great filler.

HappyOne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HappyOne (9)

This is my first tin from Dan Tobacco but it won't be my last. Really nice quality leaf with a pleasant flavour and aroma.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Update 10 Aug 2011. I need to downgrade 1 star, as this is mainly a mixture with golden VAs. I filled in a pipe last night, the tobacco was on the dry side and it just went to my nose and head and my tongue bite like crazy after a few minutes. This tobacco needs to be smokes ASAP after opening.

This is an excellent lightly topped tobacco!

Mostly medium brown VAs, long cut partially rubbed VA, the tin aroma is very refined, slightly sweet, very similar to peterson irish Whiskey.

The humidity level was ideal so I could fill in a pipeful almost immediately.

It is very good and I think there might be a bit of burleys in there- but the VAs are dominant. The topping is there, never ovwewhelming, always adding a nice touch.

i will buy again. This was a beautiful surprise.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

The smell out of the tin is like candy, and not in a good way. It smells sickly sweet. The aroma was less syrupy on a bit of airing out, but still not to my liking.

Happily, its taste was less overpowering that its smell, but here I damn with faint praise. I tasted sugar, casing, and I burned my mouth trying to extract anything else from this smoke. The casing starts off sweet and really covers up the tobacco; when the casing fades mid-bowl, there isn't much there to replace it. It burns very hot, but this might have been my over-agressive sipping. It's not terrible, but I can't imagine I will ever finish this tin.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my tobaccos I used to smoke years ago. Because of that friends bring it as a present when they visit me, because of it´s reasonable price. This is a good chance to get some bowls full of good memories. It is still easy to use, a good va of excellent quality. This is one reason why I recommend this tobacco on the one hand- On the other hand - I like the smell out of the tin and in the bowl. What I dislike- it is hard to get the flavour out of your pipes, it is okay for some though not for me. So I have at least two pipes reserved for TMH. I would recommend it to starters because it is a favourite to all nonsmokers, women like the perfect aroma sweet and not obtrousive, lads ask for the name and some of them remeber times they used to smoke the pipe as well.So it is easy to get them used to your new hobby.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

It is described as a good interval between aromatic and Latakia tobaccos. In my opinion it is a very good interval from my smoking favorite delights.

It is dry, it is placed in the bowl with difficulty and it has no taste, at least to me. It leaves bitterness in the mouth that perhaps is caused by Burley, which is never mentioned as an ingredient.

I rate it, with great pleasure, among the last places of my favorites.

SydPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SydPiper (4)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of the first tobaccos I ever put in a pipe almost 11 years ago. It is a medium VA with a hint of malted scotch. It has a very nice room note and holds it taste to the end. I for one can faintly taste the scotch topping and the VA is delicious. I also agree there may be a hint of burley. I have enjoyed this for a very long time but those who are new to Malthouse beware of the bite. If smoked to fast or hot it will get your tongue. Once you learn its characteristics as with any tobacco, its wonderful! I give it 3 stars only because its not one you can take right of the tin and be your favorite. Be patient and you will be rewarded.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (17)

The name of this blend is "Founder's Reserve," not "The Malthouse." The Malthouse is the name of the Brand, and it is available through Dan Tobacco. You can find other reviews for this blend under its proper name, "Founder's Reserve." All these reviews should be moved and combined under its blend name.

I want to like this more than I do, but it simply has too much bite. I can't recommend this as there are simply too many other similar blends that are more to my liking. The tast and room note make this one that I keep coming back to.

I recently reopened an opened tin of this that I've had for a couple of years. I sprayed a bit of distilled water on the contents, put the tin back in a zip-lock bag and set it aside for a couple of weeks. I have to believe that this aging process has mellowed the bite a bit, but I still find it spicier than I normally prefer.

Nevertheless, I am now raising my rating to a three-star rating.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This blend is a different variety than I am used to. I have never tried an aromatic without Cavendish. The tobacco seems to rather be a nice balanced VA that is at the end of blending then aged in whiskey. Being a fan of all types of whiskey I thought it only my duty to try this blend. The results are a nice flavor a bit sweet on the top, and mellowing and getting a bit sour (like Jack Daniels) as the bowl progresses. The blend has an interesting room note, I like it my wife is still on the fence. I am not sure if this tobacco is cased, but ti seems to burn cleanly and does not leave any objectionables in the heel of my pipe. I did try to add some latakia to the blend but decided that it was better to leave well enough alone. This tobacco will please a large group of smokers, and is recommended by me as one interesting style of aromatic that is sure to throw a curve ball in the daily rotation.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow! This is a very nice semi-aromatic blend that was the hit of my pipe club where it was sampled a while back. It is flavored ever so discreetly with malt whiskey. The leaf is mostly Virginia, but I really think I detected a bit of Burley too. All quality leaf, I assure you. This was delightful..... Although perhaps a tad too sweet for putting into my regular rotation, it is certainly fine enough to throw a few extra tins into the cellar for future enjoyment.

If you are an aromatic fancier, you'll no doubt enjoy this stuff. If you are a Virginia fancier, you may also be pleased. The appeal really was universal at my recent pipe club gathering and I think chances are good that you'll enjoy it, too.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)

Tin aged for 6 months, aired well before smoking. Had a little trouble rubbing this out correctly for loading, but was well worth the effort. I don't smoke aromatics but I always try them hoping to find one that tastes good and also pleases the crowd. I believe this one fits the description quite adequately. I could swear there is a slight pinch of Latakia in there too, but I guess that this is just a personal perception of the rendering of flavors. In any case, apart from VA smokers like me, it could be a blend worth trying by English smokers too. I think they could find a nice change of pace there.

Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Who knows what kind of Scotch was used to flavor this... but it sure ain't a rare single malt! What a boring tobacco! It's not a sticky or sweet aromatic, it simply is watery and dull, very bland. It provokes some tonguebite, and even smoking slowly you can't either feel the whisky or a nice and rich virginia base. All is very subdued here, and at the end of the bowl you can even feel some unplesant off-notes.

I'd rather pick a nice unflavored Virginia with some real taste (like Marlin Flake) and a glass of Sprinbank than this unspectacular blend!

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From the moment I opened the tin four weeks ago, to loading the last bowl this evening, I could swear that this is Bjarne Flake de Luxe from the tin aroma. The sweetness almost stopped me from even putting this into any of my pipes. Fortunately, I went ahead and finished the tin, and was happy that I did.

I am a huge fan of VA's, but not flavored VA's. I was not sure what to expect when I purchased this tin, so in reviewing this, I won't pretend to hold the additional sweetness or slight flavoring against the blend since it is so clearly an intended component of the finished product.

Visual: Golden to dark brown mostly rubbed out flake with a very waxy look. There were a few pieces of flake still in the tin.

Texture: The tobacco remained soft and moist the entire time the tin was open with the addition of a clay humidifying disk and a few drops of water.

Pack/Pipe: I normally finished rubbing out the broken flake completely to aid in packing, and only notice a slight increase in the sweetness when filling direct from the tin. This was enjoyed most in a Nording freehand with a tall narrow bowl, and oddly enough in a very small fat walled Ashton xx Oldchurch pot. I must note that it smoked consistently well in almost every pipe I loaded.

Lighting/Burn: Often needed two charring lights to achieve a good final light. I seldom need any relights to reach the bottom of a bowl, however this usually required two relights in the final third to completely finish. Leaves a pocket of fine white ash surrounded by grainy black ash.

1st 3rd: Once underway, the first few puffs were a little acrid, but quickly turned into a sharp sweetness and produced nice mouthfuls of blue smoke. It could be my packing technique, but the first third of the bowl burns down very quickly.

2nd 3rd: Really has a long sweet spot here. (Literally and figuratively). The flavor is not complex, and doesn't really change much through this section. Just good sweet topping with a ghosting of VA tang.

Final 3rd: Smoke level usually dropped off considerably here, and I often had to relight as I neared the bottom. (Sometimes twice). Doesn't become bitter, but does lose flavor at the end.

Notes: I am glad I tried this blend, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality aromatic/flavored blend that doesn't contain cavendish. I don't plan on purchasing it again, but can see why so many like this blend alot.

Stogie rating of: 5 Fair Fonsecas