A Blend of selected Virginia and Latakia tobaccos specially processed and matured to provide a cool and mild smoke

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Packaging50g Tin, 250 g bulk
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full

3.4
Andrealli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andrealli (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Highly recommended for Laktania's fan... Outstanding i store a KG from it on my cellar for future ;-) ;-);-) after pirate cake it's my second favorite laktania I advice you to taste it if you like the taste.

Pipe Used: GBD London International 1001

Purchased From: Fajkowo.pl

Similar Blends: night cap.

Herr_Bumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Herr_Bumm (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

After trying most Dunhill English Blends (and liking them) I went on to explore more tobaccos of that kind. The description for Holly's discovery in the catalogue sounded very intruiging so I decided to order a 50g tin of it. Aroma out of the tin is strong and very "smokey", with a hint of sweetness. The flakes are a little to moist to smoke directly after opening. After rubbing out and drying it for a while, it burns down slow, some relights were necessary (but that might come from my way of smoking/packing). The blend tastes very english, yet with a sweetness I missed in the Dunhills I tried. Smoky, leathery, yet not harsh or too heavy. Room note is also a little "lighter". Overall flavor is really full and satisfying and well-balanced between the smokiness and heavyness of the Latakia and the sweetness of the Virginia used. Does not get bitter towards the end of the bowl, but somehow "soapy" when burning too hot. I would highly recommend this tobacco to everyone who likes latakia blends. It is full, balanced and very satisfying to smoke. Goes well with a glass of dry and heavy red wine.

japanpipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
japanpipeman (8)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I love this tobacco! This smokes cooler than cool and very dry for me. It is a bit monochromatic, I think, but since that constant flavor is delicious it gets four stars in my book! It is sweet and smoky and wonderful!! At first the broken flakes looked like a major pain to me, but they are easy to rub out and get into the pipe. I'm not sure if there are any orientals in here. The tin says "Finest virginias and latakia tobaccos pressed & matured for a cool & dry smoke." This is my desert island tobacco.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)

My supply of Holly`s Discovery arrived in a quarter-kilo bag. The flakes had unravelled in transit, fit for loading into the pipe staightaway. I thought I was going to find Old Ironsides by another name, but there is a difference. Old Ironsides had a sharpish edge to it, whereas Holly`s Discovery is more rounded,and sweeter. I do not know if the differance is due to age - HD had some years on it while OI was fresh - or there are different ingredients involved. The lady in the shop in Berlin had said that HD was the same as OI. I tried to fit fifty grams of HD into an empty tin of OI, but it was impossible to do so. Eventually an empty tin of Balkan Flake was needed.

Whatever the fact of the matter I rather prefer HD to OI for its better integrated taste and the delicious side-stream smoke. I would conjecture that if the difference is not in the age, it is in the Orientals used.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (36)

This is a 'lots of Latakia blend'. But, it is not a particularly good one. As much as I like Latakia, I didn't really care for this blend.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is a Latakia lovers blend for sure. So much so that I find it difficult to find the Orientals. As others have pointed out, there is some sweetness to the blend but I am not sure if it actually comes from the Virginia's. It tastes to me like it may be manually added. Unlike other Latakia powerhouses, this blend gets a bit monotone for me. As a result I won't be buying more, but three stars for Latakia lovers.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I had ordered a tin of this blend from DanPipe some months ago; unfortunately the tin I got did not contain the blend described on the label but a (very nice) pure VA flake. Now, Dan Tobacco is manufacture and not industrial mass- production; the occasional mistake in packaging can happen.

During a recent visit to DanPipe, they replaced the tin, free of charge, with one that actually contains Holly's Discovery (and I kept the contents of the maverick tin).

Opening the tin, the aroma reached out at me, grabbed me by the shoulders and kissed me straight on the mouth with the sort of embrace that promises a long, sleepless and sweaty night. A relatively widely-cut bunch of slices, very very dark, with a few thin veins of bright yellow leaf, are stacked inside the tin.

Folding and twisting half a slice, I lit up. Full toasty, smoky taste from the beginning -- lots and lots of Latakia in there! -- with lots of sweetness from the VA.

During the smoke, the taste becomes deeper, gains more toast, more meatiness... burning extremely slowly and coolly... after half a tin within three days, I can say that the more I smoke this beauty, the more I fall in love.

I smoked a pipeful of this blend on the way home from DanPipe; a friend of mine and of Latakia blends who was along for the trip commented that the room note leaves a lot to be desired. Well, maybe so. But this blend is all about pleasing the smoker him (or her)self -- beautiful. I want more!

I accompany Holly's Discovery with a dark, malty ale or a heavy, dry red wine.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like full-on latakia blends, powerful and zesty, well blended and fullfilling, this stuff will make you happy. Forget about Nightcap, which has too much nicotine and bitterness. This is the real thing... Strong but polite. Very pleasant smoky experience. Go for it.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

I will be succinct in this review. As we mourn the passing of the great blend OLD IRONSIDES we must simultaneously celebrate Holly's Discovery.HD is a wonderful alternative to OI. A tad sweeter but not quite as smooth.Almost identical blends. I loved it!3.5 stars.

zeitenzauberer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zeitenzauberer (2)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Nightcap (Dunhill) is dead. Long live Holly's Discovery! A classic Latakia Mixture. Dark and powerful ! It seems to be the last remaining tobacco for German English-Balkan type smokers !

CoronaDoug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoronaDoug (7)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

I got this as a free sample. I smoked two bowls and now I want more. It is a strong tobacco with a wonderful tasty flavor. It has a hint of fruitiness but the strength of the tobacco knocks the frutiness down a notch, which is a good thing. It was slow burning and very enjoyable.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

November-2003.Holly's Discovery Flake. When I opened the pack,the essence of latakia was rather nice & not overly pungeant.The charring light produced a very pleasant flavour with a slight sweetness to it,the taste & flavours are consistant to the bottom of the bowl.The tobacco leave's a greyish white ash & definitely no goop.I enjoy latakia & found this to be a nice change,& would suggest it as a change of pace.Sure,some won't find it to be'top notch'but no complaint's here.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This blend is very similar (if not the same) as CAO's Old Ironsides. It smells like pure latakia in the tin, but is suprisingly mellow and sweet. It may be different than the Old Ironsides in that I found it sweeter, maybe there is less oriental or according to the blurb, none at all? The tobac that I tried was about 5 years old and it matured very well. If you love latakia (which I do), this is a very satisfying smoke. It comes in a loose flake form, packs easily, lights well with only a few relights as you enjoy. As the leaf burns down the bowl, the flavor gets just a wee bit stronger with nutty sweet overtones,no bitterness, no dottle, just grey mottled ash when your journey is over. The nicotine cont. seems low and that is good for wimps like me. No tongue-bite to speak of,all you are left with is a pleasant aftertaste in your mouth and contemplating which pipe you will choose to enjoy another bowl of this blend. Enjoy....