A strong mixture of english type - delveloped by King Frederik IX. A original blend, strong and convincing with golden Virginia and Latakia.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByPaul Olsen
ContentsVirginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)

A good solid English style mixture with the Latakia in prime focus of the mixture. The foundation of the blend is a sweet Virginia with excellent fire properties that not requires many re-lights, the Virginia is of broken-flake style. I think it's a good all day smoke but if puffed on to fast it can scorch your tongue

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend has become my Go-To in a couple of months. I think it is just about perfect when it comes to balance between Orientals, Latakia and mature VA's.

As the content of my current 100 g tin is sinking I tend to ration, only allow myself a big bowl on Sunday.

A great blend and purportedly the recipe is straight from the former king of Denmark Fredrik IX. Great taste in tobacco he must have had, rest his briar brethren soul.

Good tobacco, although not nearly as strong as the label suggests. It's a mild to medium mixture, with a good presence of latakia leaf and most of all really fine orientals. The Virginia sweetness is a constant presence too, and it gives a nice body. Nice tobacco to be smoked all day.

Ok, let's get this straight: this is not a FULL tobacco in the strict sense.

Yes, it has 30% of Latakia, but it is also very delicate. It strikes a nice balance between the broken-rubbed out flakes of Virginia and the black leaf that English-loving smokers adore.

I think that it's quite similar to some Rattrays like 7 Reserve, or the Accountant mixture... only it's definitely better, not as heavy in the mouth, tastier and without harsh or unpleasant ashy notes.

It's not a memorable tobacco, at least for me: a bit too delicate and bland, and even a bit monochromatic and dull at times. But when I want a medium-light English blend that smokes fine, this can be satisfying.

Not a GLPease tobacco (but who can compete?), and certainly can't hold a candle to Olsen's own 7000... but decent.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Obtaining this tobacco required me to order it from Denmark and to purchase a number of tins. So I can truthfully say I will smoke this on occasion for a while. The tin aroma is strong with the smokiness of latakia and the spiciness of orientals. I smoke this in a large bowled pipe as I do with most English Balkan mixtures. The smoke is smooth on the tongue with no bite, but I need to be careful with it or it will produce a stinging sensation on the lips; I suspect the orientals. The flavor is markedly different from other Balkan blends I have smoked, quite varied and interesting. There is plenty of latakia in the blend but for me the other orientals dominate. I usually only smoke latakia mixtures in the evening so I cannot imagine smoking this all day. I get latakia overload rather quickly. This blend requires me to sit and pay attention to how I smoke it and to the flavor spectrum. I have smoked a 100g tin of this and will continue to smoke it probably once a week until the supply is gone. I am not sure that in a year or two I will absolutely need to go to the trouble of keeping this on hand, but it is possible. Well recommended to the Balkan lover to try at least once. Paddy.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)

This may well be the finest oriental mixture in the world, as they say about their lager from this part of the world, Probably. Its not strong really, or a latakia feast as the above description may lead you to belive. A base of really good matured virginia with outstandibg oriental (possibly samsun). Many other blenders should take note of the matured virgina it seems to make a big difference. The only drawbacks you can only get it in Denmark and the tins Paul Olsen uses have a habit of coming open en route.Is Kong Frederik 1X the best oriental blend in the world?. Probably .