A strong mixture of English type - developed by King Frederik IX. A original blend, strong and convincing with golden Virginia and latakia.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByPaul Olsen
Strength
Taste
JimInks (2058)

The golden Virginia provides a bit of grass/hay and citrus, and takes a back seat to the other components. The dry, smoky, woody, very spicy, floral, mildly buttery sweet and fairly sour Orientals are a supporting player. The dominant varietal is the smoky, woody, lightly sweet Cyprian latakia. The strength level sits squarely on medium. The taste is a step past the medium threshold. The nic-hit falls just short of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no rough edges, though I wouldn’t say this is very smooth either. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a mostly consistent, deep flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires slightly more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering campfire after taste. Not quite an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Paul Olsen - Kong Frederick Full (English Mixture).

This is a rock solid, Latakia heavy, smoke.....simple.

The ribbons are borderline coarse-cut, a lot are more like broken flakes. It appears to be a 50/50 split between black and brown, and smell from the tin is rich with Latakia.

The moisture amount makes ignition as simple as anyone would want, and right from the first puff it's the Latakia running things. It's a very tasty Latakia though: smoky and woody with some spice. Because of the boisterousness of the Latakia I don't get much from the Virginia; the Lat tastes more like the proverbial bomb as opposed to a seasoning; albeit, not just a smoky bomb. Like many blends that are heavy with Latakia, the first quarter has a slightly sharper flavour than the latter part. The burn's very stable, giving off a medium temperature smoke; but, be warned, it can bite a little if it's puffed over zealously. Well, it can bite ME a bit!

I think you'd have to be in the right mood to enjoy the note: it's traditionally English, albeit it doesn't hold back any. And the nicotine's above medium.

This goes straight into my list of favourite English's: it's extremely tasty, great mechanically, and an all round winner.... to me, that is!

Love it:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Erik Nording

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)

A good solid English style mixture with the Latakia in prime focus of the mixture. The foundation of the blend is a sweet Virginia with excellent fire properties that not requires many re-lights, the Virginia is of broken-flake style. I think it's a good all day smoke but if puffed on to fast it can scorch your tongue

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Obtaining this tobacco required me to order it from Denmark and to purchase a number of tins. So I can truthfully say I will smoke this on occasion for a while. The tin aroma is strong with the smokiness of latakia and the spiciness of orientals. I smoke this in a large bowled pipe as I do with most English Balkan mixtures. The smoke is smooth on the tongue with no bite, but I need to be careful with it or it will produce a stinging sensation on the lips; I suspect the orientals. The flavor is markedly different from other Balkan blends I have smoked, quite varied and interesting. There is plenty of latakia in the blend but for me the other orientals dominate. I usually only smoke latakia mixtures in the evening so I cannot imagine smoking this all day. I get latakia overload rather quickly. This blend requires me to sit and pay attention to how I smoke it and to the flavor spectrum. I have smoked a 100g tin of this and will continue to smoke it probably once a week until the supply is gone. I am not sure that in a year or two I will absolutely need to go to the trouble of keeping this on hand, but it is possible. Well recommended to the Balkan lover to try at least once. Paddy.

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (55)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

This left my mouth scorched as if chilied. It's all golden virginia with a token excuse for some latakia.

What came off the tin smelled delightful but it's for different a different PH balance than mine!

Pipe Used: Stanwell billard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop.

Purchased From: The corner shop. Good blokes and they can have it back!

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)

A well balanced blend made from top quality tobacco. I experience it as being on the mild side of medium. There are a number of English blends of a similar nature: so while I certainly wouldn't turn down another tin of this, I wouldn't go to great lengths to get more.

Purchased From: The Danish Pipeshop

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend has become my Go-To in a couple of months. I think it is just about perfect when it comes to balance between Orientals, Latakia and mature VA's.

As the content of my current 100 g tin is sinking I tend to ration, only allow myself a big bowl on Sunday.

A great blend and purportedly the recipe is straight from the former king of Denmark Fredrik IX. Great taste in tobacco he must have had, rest his briar brethren soul.

Good tobacco, although not nearly as strong as the label suggests. It's a mild to medium mixture, with a good presence of latakia leaf and most of all really fine orientals. The Virginia sweetness is a constant presence too, and it gives a nice body. Nice tobacco to be smoked all day.

Ok, let's get this straight: this is not a FULL tobacco in the strict sense.

Yes, it has 30% of Latakia, but it is also very delicate. It strikes a nice balance between the broken-rubbed out flakes of Virginia and the black leaf that English-loving smokers adore.

I think that it's quite similar to some Rattrays like 7 Reserve, or the Accountant mixture... only it's definitely better, not as heavy in the mouth, tastier and without harsh or unpleasant ashy notes.

It's not a memorable tobacco, at least for me: a bit too delicate and bland, and even a bit monochromatic and dull at times. But when I want a medium-light English blend that smokes fine, this can be satisfying.

Not a GLPease tobacco (but who can compete?), and certainly can't hold a candle to Olsen's own 7000... but decent.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)

This may well be the finest oriental mixture in the world, as they say about their lager from this part of the world, Probably. Its not strong really, or a latakia feast as the above description may lead you to belive. A base of really good matured virginia with outstandibg oriental (possibly samsun). Many other blenders should take note of the matured virgina it seems to make a big difference. The only drawbacks you can only get it in Denmark and the tins Paul Olsen uses have a habit of coming open en route.Is Kong Frederik 1X the best oriental blend in the world?. Probably .

Smokeandbehappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeandbehappy (4)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is outstanding, simply outstanding! A real royal treasure. My newly discovered favorite blend. On with the recommendation, if you are craving Latakia like I am from time to time, this is def worth a try. It has become an addiction to me. Everything about this tobacco worked for me. I normally smoke English blends and this is like a perfect all day smoke for me. It was perfectly smokeable straight from the tin and had no need for relights, it just smoked even from top to bottom. The flavor consists of Latakia in the front seat, Latakia in the middle and finally Latakia in the back. What's not to love, I get bored and uninterested when smoking Virginia, it's just so average and will compare it to the person you get tired of talking to because he always agree with you on your opinions. so I'm glad he fell asleep in the guest room and let Latakia run the party. And so it does, what a Latakia pleasure. This is def in my rotation. This could be my favorite blend. The mouthfeel is satisfying too the smoke feels so pure and when I exhale the smoke through my nostrils some other tobaccos kinda burns on the way out, this one doesn't it is very smooth. I tried to smoke it steady too to see if I managed to get some bites from it but no it's cooler than the other side of the pillow. There is not anything about the flavor that suddenly surprises or changes it is just the same perfect premium Latakia flavor that shines through which I get to enjoy more and more for each puff. Happy pipe'ing ladies and gentlemen I don't think this will disappoint you

Pipe Used: Rattray's lowland billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh out the tin

Purchased From: My own blend

Got this in a trade with my buddy StevieB. Thanks Steve. Very good one.

A very nice and smooth Balkan mix. The sour and buttery Orientals lead by just a touch over the very smooth mildly smokey Lat. The Virginias give a good taste of sweet hay in the background. Has a nice mellowness to it. A soothing and satisfying smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus