Based on a blend over 103 years old, #7000 contains a very generous portion of top quality latakia with some of the finest Orientals. Then finished off with a black cavendish and Turkish Samsun for a full-bodied traditional English.

BrandPaul Olsen
Blended ByPaul Olsen
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

The smokey, woody, earthy, musty, leathery sweet Cyprian latakia is the star component. The floral, herbal, woody, earthy, very spicy, dry and buttery sweet Samsun is a strong supporting player. The brown sugary black cavendish adds a smoothing sweetness in the background. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste is in the center of medium to full. Won’t bite, but may tingle the tongue of a fast puffer due to the high spice content. Has a couple rough edges despite the presence of the black cavendish. Burns a tad warm, and slightly fast with deeply rich, spicy campfire sweet, consistent and well balanced flavor that extends to the lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl and requires an average number of relights. Has a pungent room note guaranteed to scare away your in-laws. Not an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am not sure whether this is still available or not, but I am throwing in my two cents as much for my own future reference as anything else. My tin is 7-9 years old, and has been opened for that long. It is a nice high quality tobacco. I gave it only two stars, however, because it is a little bitey, and there are many, many similar english style blends which are just plain better.

It looks and smells in the tin like a typical english blend. It packs nicely, and burns readily. The flavor is mostly of latakia, but the orientals do add some nice undertones. As stated above, my experience is that it has a bite to it that is present throughout the bowl. The strange thing is that it does not seem to burn particularly hot, but it still bites a little. Maybe my palate is just off on this one. While there is nothing wrong with this, I think there are any number of english blends (look to England, young man) that offer more flavor and complexity without that funky bite.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

No. 7,000 is a Latakia forward blend that arrives a the perfect moisture level for smoking. The very thin ribbons pack with ease. My tastes tend to point more toward medium English blends where the Latakia isn't quite such a force, but Paul Olsen does a real nice job with this blend. Too much cavendish can wreck an English blend, but in this case it seems to be added with a light hand offering a slight sweetness, although not a sweet English (think Frog Morton or Northwoods). This blend should be on the must ry list for lovers of Latikia or full English blends. Recommended.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A very good full English mixture, rich in Latakia and fine oriental tobaccos, but sweetened and made more palatable by some Black Cavendish. The presence of Cavendish is not a sign of a bland mixture like many other "modern EMs", but a perfectly integrated component. The taste, while not as full as in some other mixtures like Balkan Sobranie, is very satisfying: sweet and full of "burnt-wood" latakia notes. At times it can be a bit watery, but usually it's just a matter of correct packing and smoking pace. I like this tobacco a lot, as it burns fine thanks to the perfect humidity and cut, and it has a very good taste sometimes comparable to some of GLPease's offerings (which, considering that this blend is Danish, is quite unbelievable!). The only problem for me and a fellow pipesmoker is that it tends to bite the tongue: nothing truly bad, and certainly no harshness, but at the end of the bowl you are left with a slightly tingling feeling in the mouth... I don't know if the Cavendish is to be blamed for this, of it's due to something else, though. Anyway, a very recommended tobacco: its balance, taste and sheer quality of the rare orientals are all strong points to its favour. Too bad that it has been withdrawn from the European market, and probably will suffer the same fate in the US: you will still be able to find it at Olsen's Copenhagen shop, at least, which is a minor consolation...

2008 Update: I still have a few tins of this left, and I must say that aging didn't kill the tounguebite at all. It has an excellent flavour, a true Latakia/Orientals lover's dream... but it is one of the most aggressive tobaccos my tongue has ever experienced... Weird, very weird.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I picked this up about 2 weeks back and have since smoked 10-12 bowls of it. Both in a Peterson full bent and a cheap ebay meer. EXCELLENT in both pipes, but very different.

The briar comes across as more subtle and soft, but the meer allows this baccy to taste the way the tin smells...smoky and earthy. I wish I knew what percentage of Latakia this contained, because I get the feeling that is what I like best in this blend.

Upon opening the tin moisture is as near perfect as I have come across. I don't need to try and dry it before smoking. It burns to a clean dry grey ash and the tiny bit of dottle is always dry, making it a low pipe maintenance blend.

Any bite I have gotten has really been my own fault and the result of my being an impatient smoker.

ripdundee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ripdundee (2)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This being my first review, I am not sure it should be considered a fair one...... the reason is that my particular tin of 7000 was opened about 3 years ago. Perhaps it has worked positive wonders for this tobacco blend; perhaps it has destroyed some of the better qualities it once had...... It is beyond me to positively know. As with rifle barrels made on the same machine, each barrel will shoot differently....... so be it with pipe tobacco.

Surprise originally greeted me 3 years ago upon opening the tin, I did not expect such an overall dark colored tobacco. I have forgotten how it packed then; it packs very well now. I do not use the 3 layer method anymore, I simply pack thin layer after thin layer with light and judicious tamping. Very gentle.

Upon light up, the flavor is full and thoroughly enveloping. I am overcome with the thought of please let this continue to arrive in such a wonderful, full, surround sound. Samsun certainly does play its part and does play it well, but the symphony is made complete and full by the orientals...... such a sweet symphony in perfect note orchestration. Strong, full, yet plesantly sweet...... no tongue bite for me, though I am terrible about smoking a pipe too quickly...... too anxious to enjoy the feast. Even if smoked too fast, this will not turn into a rocket sled on the end of a stick.

It did leave a plesant taste in my mouth and that most wonderful of feelings...... wanting another bowl immediately. Fully and cleanly burned to the bottom of the bowl, this one has earned its way to the top of my favorites list. I will stockpile this one..........

As simply a side observation, I found this now to be sold as My Own Blend....#7000..... only a thought.

RIPDUNDEE

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend has definitely one of the best Oriental parts on the market and it would be worth smoking just for that, but it has many other good characteristics. The packing and lighting are easy due to the perfect moisture level and almost shag cut, the latakia used is one of great quality and smokiness, the Cavendish sweetens a little the mixture but it isn't very detectable in the amount of flavour generated by the orientals and the latakia. The body is light enough to consider it an all day blend. The fast burning can cause some problems to your tongue if you don't pay attention at your smoking pace, but nothing compared to the majority of Virginia and aromatic blends.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend has a generous portion of Latakia but far be it from me to tell you whether that percentage is 15% or 20%, 30% or? My palate is not that discerning. Regardless, there is too much Latakia in this blend for me to smoke it on a regular basis. I like it but it falls into my ? I smoke it occasionally? category. The heavy, rich flavor in this tobacco is right up front. You can taste this tobacco without lighting your pipe and especially before a DGT light. It has a pronounced, bold and plentiful earthy, full, woodsy, smoky flavor but it is not as sweet as some other English blends. It also left me with a strong, lingering aftertaste that I have experienced with only one other blend: Penzance. Such a strong aftertaste should make PO MOB 7000 your last bowl of the day if you smoke other lighter blends. PO MOB 7000 also makes for a great smoke after a full meal.

I did not experience any bite or ?stinging? with this blend as some others have noted. Generally speaking, I personally find that English blends are the least likely to bite and, in my opinion, have much better burning qualities than most burley based or VA blends. PO MOB 7000 is a little too ?Latakia heavy? and rich for me for the humid, summer months but I am looking forward to smoking my cellared 7000 remains on crisp, clear, mid to late fall afternoons when it would fill the bill. PO MOB 7000 is truly for those of you who love heavily laden Latakia blends.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 6522 out of ?7000.?

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

This has plenty of latakia and oriental flavor and is well balanced although the latakia component is a bit too much for my taste. The big problem for me is that on occasion it creates a stinging sensation on the lips, very odd. I usually smoke this late in the evening and it satisfies. This is not among my favorite English/Scottish blends,and I doubt I will buy more after my stash is gone. There are just too many very good latakia/oriental blends available that are more friendly. Paddy.

This blend has made it into my daily rotation for many reasons: Visually it is a mostly dark ribbon cut with an occasional red and brown when you look closely. Tin odor is delicious! One is almost tempted to bite in! Packing is easy due to the ribbons not being too long. Lighting is an easy two vesta affair. Upon first light, you are instantly presented with a bright, zesty flavor which settles down to a delicious mellow smoke to the bottom of the bowl. I have to say that the oriental leaf in this blend is particularly tasty! This is an all day blend with enough complexity to keep you interested, but not too busy to overload your senses. This one is in the same class as Rennaisance, Margate, Penzance, etc...This is the first "Danish" attempt to make an "English" and they have succeeded wonderfully, 5 out of 5 points, a true "TULIP" blend.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)

Very nicely blended tobacco. Alls the flavors come through. Another one for the Latakia lovers.