As soon as you take the lid off the tin and the tobacco comes to view you can see that this tobacco is something quite special. Cut tobaccos from various sources are blended with beautiful curly cut slices the size of a penny piece. The taste is characterized by light Virginia tobaccos and Cavendish.

Notes: http://www.paul-olsen.dk/

FlavoringOther / Misc, Sweet / Sugar
CutMixture
Strength
None Detected, Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full
2.7
WhirlyWessel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WhirlyWessel (1)

Tin: Ribbon cut, with a few small coins, and Cavendis as smaller bits. Mild fruity smell, that has subsided. Slight smokey smell. Detectable hay. Smells sweet and clings a bit in the nose. Slightly moist, but smokeable.

Burn: Requires few relights, if right moisture level. Fairly cool smoke, slightly wet. Quite toungebity if not smoked carefully (I can smoke a bowl now without getting bitten, so it's great for practicing correct smoking technique)

Taste: Slight Citrus, (pamelo?) Heavy neutral sweetness. Something I can't quite define, could be cognac. What I can only describe as a smokey taste.

This is the first pipe tobacco I have ever smoked, so my palate isn't very evolved yet. The sweetness, which I guess is from the Cavendish, is a little to strong for my tastes. I mix it with a 20% perique blend, and that brings it down, and handles the tonguebite, to make for a pleasant smoke. The description on Paul-Olsen's webpage says that it is topped with cognac, but I can't really detect any.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Duke 107

Purchased From: Local shop in Denmark

Paul Olsen - Curly 44.

I'm puzzled by the name, rather than getting what I expected, a tin containing a blend that's prominently coins, mine would be a closer match to the name Mixture. Yes, there are a decent amount of coins, but there's also a lot of ribbons (some short, some long, some extremely long), a few slithers of broken flake, and some cube cut pieces; Curly 44? a bit of a misnomer there!

The moisture was good so I could fill and light my first pipe-full imminently from freshly opened the tin. And then, once I had some burning, I thought it was great!

I'm not too sure as to what the added flavouring is; it seems to me to be the kind of taste that would usually come from a Cavendish-heavy blend: slightly sweet with some vanilla qualities. Other than those, I can't particularly identify any other taste aside from the Virginia.

For me, the other merits are: the smoke's quite thick and cool, it bites none, the room-note's pleasant, and as it's a big tin there's plenty of tobacco to enjoy!

I feel this is easily worthy of getting full marks:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Harp #05

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (78)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is recommended as a replacement for the discontinued Caledonian No.410. The reviews for that blend, to be found here, mostly praise it as a wonderful Virginia/Perique, some reviewers noting a slight topping, others not.

The tin I recently received was an aromatic, so much so, that the tobacco very much played a second fiddle in the taste experience. A second issue is that there was but one tobacco "coin"; the rest of the tin was made up of short ribbon cut tobacco.

The trend, thus far, as I explore the MOB tobaccos, is that if the word "Cavendish" is used in the description, assume the blend to be quite aromatic.

Purchased From: The Danish Pipeshop