A flake tobacco based on light and golden Virginia tobaccos. A modern taste with a spice frm real Jamaica Rum.

BrandPaul Olsen
2.6
Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

My favourite winter outdoor smoke for a number of years some time ago. Big medium colour flakes in the 100g tin, a tad moist ready to pack after little airing. I never found the rum topping very strong, it's more like a fleeting spiciness from time to time. I like to pack this coarsely rubbed out and then take a walk in the cold. Yes it is a bit monotonous, but it is a quality VA smoke and all this goes well with the task of observing the scenery. Recommended

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Update: I think I treated this flake a little unfairly in my initial review (see below). While it isn't big on flavor, its considerable tendency to bite was tamed by letting the tin set for a few weeks. I also had to rehumidify the tobacco, and that brought the more delicate flavors out.

The rum flavoring isn't really present, but instead comes through almost like a little bit of perique instead. I'm not a fan of perique or rum, so this is a bit off putting for an all day smoke. Still, it's a good quality, tasty tobacco. I would not choose it as my personal smoke, but everyone I have ever let sample it has fallen in love with it.

*A little weak on character and flavor; not much aroma; lots of tongue bite, even puffing very slowly. Smoked in same pipes normally reserved for MacBaren Navy Flake, and still bit considerably more. Not sure what the heck this flake is supposed to be all about anyway; kind of bland, kind of dry, just barely kind of anything really (but it is kind of inexpensive, so maybe worth one's while there).

11/25/2005: Nothing wrong with this flake. Reminds me a bit of P.S. Deluxe Navy Flake. Easier to rub out than most. Perfect moisture content. Three and one-quarter stars.

11/27/2006: Upon re-visiting this flake I find it too suggestive of a cigarette for my tastes. Still a quality flake.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Paul Olsen 333. January 2005. The appearance of these flake's is medium in colour,and has a very pleasant aroma.Most likely the rum! I rub the flake's out but not to much,as it's very easy to light and usually only requires 2 strike's of the lighter. Taste is semi sweet mild virginia's,along with the slight detection of the Jamaican Rum in the back-ground. I never find 333 over powering,infact,it's very consistant throughout the bowl.Just right for a very enjoyable easy going smoke. If you remember to tamp now and again,you won't have to relight. "No brain work required" Very easy to get along with,leaving a grey white ash without goop!Nice and simple. Enjoyable without being heavy or bitey. Recommended.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

All in all a pleasant, quality blend. A flake of predominately virgina with a small proportion of burley and a touch of perique. It is also supposed to be flavoerd with rum but no heavy casing is detectable. Despite the ingredients listed this has nothing in common with Mac Baren's "Plumcake." The texture is a little crumbly and dry due to the burley. The tin aroma and somewhat in the smoke a subtle tea-like character is present. The flavor is not as heavy or as hot as a straight VA flake but there is a little heat from a predominance of virginia. In fact the flavor is extremely mild in sensation verging on bland. In this case this is not bad, just a subtler blend with occasional elevation in sweetness from the rum and/or other sweeter ingredients. As to the rum if the tin did not list it one would not consider it to be present. Maybe it is just a processing agent for moisture purposes. I've tried flavoring and aging tobacco with straight rum and it does'nt do a whole lot. It ends up usually "dulling" the tobacco qualities and does'nt add a presumed amount of sweetness and character to tobacco. Tobacco shop "rum cavendish" has a lot of concentrated flavoring and sugar added that tobacco would not achieve with rum alone. A variation on virginia flake that might be sought by smokers wanting a milder VA flake.

- Recommended

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have a hard time smoking Virginia tobacco's. I seem to always burn myself. But this is one that works well for me. Outstanding flavor.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

This is Paul Olsen's answer to Stokkebeye's Luxury Curly Cut, and perhaps a bit smoother. This is not a first or second tier Virginia, but it is very, very good. The tin aroma is typical Danish, offering a combination of very faint anise, peach and chocolate. None of these flavors come through in the smoke. It comes in a 100g tin in flakes about the size you would find in a 50g tin, all jumbled about. It is quality tobacco, rubs out and packs easily and burns well all the way to the dottle. It has a lightly sweetened Virginia flavor. I do not detect the rum. This is a very good smoke. It does not rank with Samuel Gawith Best Brown and Full Virginia Flake or the Rattray Virginia flakes because it lacks the depth of Virginia flavor I enjoy, but I will probably keep this on had to remind me of how well the Danes can do a straight Virginia flake. Well recommended. Paddy.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I love a good Virginia for the sweetness alone, but I believe Olsen was nipping at the Jamaica Rum when he blended this tobacco. I had a hard time trying to distinguishing the smooth taste of Virginia as the Rum made it more of a spicey taste.