The Danish King Frederik IX - that died in 1972 - was an enthusiastic pipesmoker for many years. His personal favourite was this My Own Blend tobacco, that he had created himself. This wonderful recipe is naturally a secret. However we can divulge that golden Virginia and Latakia form the backbone and sounding board of the royal smoking pleasure.

BrandPaul Olsen
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Paul Olsen-King Frederick Mild. What a wonderful little smoke K'F' Mild is. The Latakia only offers a really delicate addition to the blend, if you favour a proper 'whack in the face of smokiness' then this will be a disappointment. But if you desire a deep and full tasting blend that offers flavour that's simply delicious then this will make a good addition to your rotation. Upon opening the tobacco I can instantly ascertain that it's of a superb moistness so it can be smoked instantly. After sitting with it for a while I come to the conclusion that it's a "lazy smoke"! The nicotine is mild so it would make a good evening smoke to unwind with whilst maybe enjoying a nice little tipple! If it's puffed with a bit too much enthusiasm it can burn a bit quick, but as I see this as a smoke to relax with then puffing with voracity shouldn't really be an issue! I don't get bitten by this unless I puff really harsh, but again, if I'm relaxing with it why would I want to puff hard? I find King Frederick Mild to be a great blend so I can only highly recommend it. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Pedder Jeppesen

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Happy New Year (2012)

with an amazing blend from Denmark.

God bless “ilias4” that got me this mixture from Denmark. Having tasted Kong Frederik English, I wanted to try something a little bit sweeter, with milder flavor. I got a bullseye for my choice. It is a very balanced English type mixture, with Virginia and a small dose of Latakia, which gives the exquisite sweet taste. It fills the bowl very easily and it lights up as easily, as its humidity is ideal right when you open the tin. It maintains its flavor up until the end. The high content of Virginia predisposes you to keep 1-2 tins for aging, being sure at once you open it after 1-2 years; you will be more than compensated for your choice.

sod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sod (1)

A very good Latakia mixture for beginners but also for experimented pipe smokers who are looking for an all day long tobacco. You can buy it and smoke it without any drying out. The smoke comes dry and dosen't bite your tongue and lips at all even if you are smoking without filter like me. The best choice ever.

Vitous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vitous (2)

Do you prefer Danish type latakia blends? If so, this is the right tobacco for you. The best in all points. Try it and you will love it. Bravo Mr. Olsen!

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Although this one is listed as still available, it has not been around in years. Maybe its still available in Denmark, but I don't think so. It is an old blend and one of the Olsen originals. Nicely put together tobacco that, unfortunately, was super dry when I finally got around to popping a lever top 100g tin a few weeks ago. I lightly moistened the leaf and began smoking. My usual experience with re moistening old tobaccos is quite good, but for some reason, I think (but am not sure), the liquid addition dummied down the flavor. In retrospect, I should have just smoked it dry. I liked it, and with all the age it did not bite, but I sure had to puff hard and fast to get any satisfaction. Not much in the nicotine department, but the flavor was somewhat full thanks to the Black Cavendish. The Latakia was dull, unfortunately.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (82)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This a great, unique (to me, anyhow) blend. Virginias, not overly sweet, with a slightly woody, nutty quality I don't normally associate with that leaf. And Latakia applied so sparingly, it's as though somebody in the next room was using it; the effect is subtle, but it's there. It's a great all day smoke, and it rewards me for just sitting and enjoying the smoke itself.

It has merits worth searching for, as they say.

19/6/2016: Watch out for misinformation! This blend is very much alive and kicking, as long as you are willing to visit or order from Denmark.

Pipe Used: Various briars and a Falcon

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop

Purchased From: The Danish Pipeshop

Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Mellow is... yes mellow. You can smoke this all the day, and still think its mellow. I would not buy it again..

Kong Frederik, Blue Queen or Dannebrog is much better blends, if you wants something that the sea king from Denmark smoked.

Purchased From: Danish pipe shop

pantera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pantera (8)

My favourite all day mixture.The actual name of the mixture is Kong Frederik Mellow. The amount of Latakia is near zero or very little. A regal mixture created by the former king of Danmark that knowed how a good pipetobacco should taste.

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This tobacco is faithful to its name: mild. It is so mild it's almost like smoking warm air, and yet it has a tendency to bite. Very little taste and even less aftertaste. Unfortunately I bought a 100 grams tin so I will have to consume it somehow, but if you have to spend money and you want an English, this is definitely not one to get if you have other choices around. On a plus note, I appreciate the container to be airtight when closed, something that should be done more often for other brands.