Bill Bailey’s Birthday Blend uses top-notch Virginia and fine black Cavendish and is finished with a top-note of Blue Curaçao, which is a liqueur featuring an intriguing bittersweet orange flavor. This is a truly unique experience.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Orange
Andrey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andrey (3)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am a smoker seeking for pleasant aroma in tobacco. Recently I found this in a catalogue published by a Japanese pipe-maker, and tried. The catalogue says that this one have aroma and flavour of blue curaçoa, which stimulated my curiosity. On opening the tin, you will feel very pleasant aroma of blue curaçoa, which is not overwhelming. The component is premium bright colored Virginia cut in a little broad ribbon as a body and a little amount of Black Cavendish. I think it contains no Burley,or if it contains, the amount is extremely a little. I wonder what element flaboured with blue curaçoa. On lightihg the tobacco, you feel slightly sweet aroma of blue curaçoa and sweetness of virginia. I have never experienced such a type of flavour and aroma. To my happiness, it smokes very smooth and pleasant, and without no bit. But one regretable point is that the aroma is so slight that it fades out after half of a bowl. I wish if it endured to the last. And one more difficulty , my first tin is not capable of reserving the freshness and aroma. When the leaves became so dry, it smoked so hot. In such condition, the aroma is damaged. I think it is better to reserve it in a jar with humidifier. In conclusion, if you are lookng for unexperienced aroma in tobacco, this is worth trying. I suspect that it's price is in middle-high range because of it's high quarity Virginia.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I am not sure Birthday blend is still being made. I grabbed a bunch of tins simply for the tin art many years ago and smoked maybe half of one tin. The Virginia was good but I did not at all like the orange flavoring in the Black Cavendish. Probably just me as I like my orange juice with no pulp and there was plenty of it in Bailey's Birthday Blend.

Smokeybear86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeybear86 (14)

Tin Note: The tin once popped open, quickly releases the smell of orange creme-cycle it was exactly what you expect it to smell like.

Initial Light: It took me two false lights to get this blend burning and it seemed to struggle a bit at first.Once it was lit however i began to taste this orange tangy flavor and for a few minutes i was enjoying it. Most of the flavor was from before the tobacco was lit however, before i even touched flame to it i can taste Orange liquor while drawing in unlit. This is a heavily cased tobacco.

Mid-Smoke: Throughout the entire mid-bowl i was experiencing the same chemical taste OTC's such as Captain Black are known for and it was also accompanied by a little bite. It was a Mild smoke at times but the bite and burn kept coming and going making it a frustrating smoke.

Bottom of the Bowl: My pipe was getting really hot just past the beginning of the bottom. I had to empty out the burning tobacco and allow it to cool. Upon relight I felt as though I was starting this smoke all over again except this time i knew what to expect. Until i got a nice swivel of juice that honestly tasted like orange liquor filled with cigarette buts.

Room Note: Neighbor popped up over the fence to wish me a happy birthday and complimented the smell saying it smelt of tangerines and fruit, so at least those around you will like the smell of this blend providing your willing to sacrifice your tongue and briar to please them.

Dottle: Gooey ash remained in the bottom of my pipe but more goop then ash.

Smoking Duration: This smoke was about 1 hour.

Overall: Sadly i did not enjoy this blend its more of a people please-er than a tobacco for one to enjoy. It smells great in the tin and once you light it, but it burns both your pipe and your mouth. It does have the decency to try and put out the flames by shooting juice down the stem, but i doubt you would appreciate that anymore than the later.

1) 1-2 DAYS Dry time, 2) Try it before you buy it.

Pipe Used: Caminetto Dublin

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I thought this blend was quite good. It had a really nice room note, and the flavors came through rather nicely. The smell was that of a heavy aromatic, with a good mild tobacco aroma under it. This is worth trying if you want something a little different.