A cavendish blend available from Dunhill stores. Light vanilla dressing with a wonderful room aroma.

BrandDunhill
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.7
Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)

Pouch note - raisins, vanilla, nougat/caramel. Basically vanilla raisinettes if you guys remember the candy.

Char and initial light is a quite bright and citrusy tobacco, with a bit of roasted walnut (including maybe just a little of the pith). My mouth now has a taste of toasted bread and vanilla, but at no time does the vanilla seem to be a prime player. A quick snork confirms these flavors of bread, vanilla, and in lieu of "citrus", I prefer "sour apple" - it seems more on the mark being tart and earthy at the same time. There is still a little walnut pith bitterness as well, a good reminder to me personally to not hot-box this one, lest there be dragons... on my tongue.

As the bowl warms I'm also getting a hint of lightly sweetened cream, a typical reward I get when I'm patient in smoking any light cavendish. This plays nicely with the existing flavors. At the very end of the bowl I get a burst of sweetness as that last little bit of dottle and topping gets incinerated... I go for more... and boo, I taste the maple stem at the bottom of my cob.

Room note is great... baked bread with vanilla. Nicotine strength is quite low as well, I piggybacked this bowl with a bowl of Northwoods with narry a burley burp.

All-in-all, a well balanced, somewhat subdued aromatic. A little temperamental in smoking, however. Maybe the English and Burley's I've had recently are just that much more forgiving...

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)

Word on the street is this is Lane's 1Q, the most popular bulk blend in the US, maybe everywhere.

Probably every brick and mortar tobacco shop in the US carries 1Q. At Tender Box, it is "Wilshire." At the B&M in my town it is (strangely) called "Shag."

It is quite similar to Captain Black Royal, also by Lane, but 1Q has less humidicant, and possibly a better grade of tobacco.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is Lane's 1-Q in bulk and called a "Dunhill" blend. If you like 1-Q, fine. But don't allow yourself to be roped into buying it thinking this is some hard to obtain Dunhill blend because it isn't. It's just 1-Q.

Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this in 1 lb. bulk a while ago (uniformly medium brown cavendish cut) and still wonder why I have smoked it from time to time. Absolutely no tobacco taste for me whatsoever. Couldn't really taste the vanilla, nor was it really sweet either. What I tasted was chemically bitter, with a fair amount of moisture, goop, and tarry dottle. The room note is fine - but that doesn't benefit the smoker much (except for the fact that maybe it won't get you thrown out of a crowd the way things are now a days)! No bite to speak of - unusual for such a heavily, as well as chemically, cased tobacco - but that's probably because I'm a more seasoned puffer at this stage of my life! It sometimes tastes as if the briar wood is burning through!

I have even tried to add - very sparingly - a pinch of this stuff to other, more natural blends for a vanilla flavoring, but with little success. The chemical taste and bitterness are still there to contaminate the mix, and my batch of Mixture 21000 is about a year old now.

If you want to use some of the tobacco (unsmoked) as a room freshener, it's great! Just put in in a container on the window sill. It's just not my cup of tea. Can't really believe Dunhill had any hand in this. Perhaps they did way back when, but now some other manufacturer is probably paying to use the Dunhill name for such a mediocre product. It does taste like a typically bad Lane Ltd. concoction. What a shame. 2 stars out of 4 for nostalgia's sake.

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)

A fine aromatic, this blend is, to me, a somewhat muted version of Captain Black Royal. Very smooth, sweet, and flavorful. This was my daily smoke for a long time, before I switched to Dunhill 965. I still buy a pound now & then, for cold-weather smokes.

Vrbas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vrbas (7)

I'm not really sure why i bought this specific blend. I was putting together a sampler online and this one just kinda caught my eye. I thought since it didn't have a flashy name like "Vanilla Paradise" or "Coconut Bay", something gay like that... it would be able to hold it's own on the taste department.

A little moist, but again it's an aromatic. I didn't dry it out really (unless you consider opening the tin a few times a week to sniff the stuff drying out). Packed nice and good and lit well first try. Pouch aroma is that of.... well, hints of vanilla cream which is good in my book. Now lets see if the taste can live up to it.

Upon light, I get the basic aromatic, sweet flavor that i find universal among all aromatics (even some non). Smoke was very thick and the bowl burns FAST, so be careful. Even though it did burn fast, i didn't have much goop at the bottom at all, so if you treat it w/ respect i'm sure you can have the same luck.

As far as taste goes, i will say that the first 2-3 bowels i smoked i wasn't very impressed at all. Just another run of the mill aromatic to me w/ slight hints of vanilla. It wasn't till about the 4th or 5th bowl i had that i really started to enjoy it. I dunno if it's had time to dry out or what, but it's starting to taste better. Mind you I don't get the creamy vanilla flavor i was looking for until about half-way through the bowl, so that would explain my 2 stars. But after about half-bowl, the taste got much fuller in my opinion.

Regardless, i'm glad i gave this one a chance because if you wait long enough and smoke enough of it... i think you will be rewarded w/ a rich, creamy vanilla flavor that follows half the bowel all the way to the bottom. 2 stars because it TOOK SO LONG!

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

When I'm confronted with a name like Dunhill I go into the experience with a certain level of expectation. I received this batch from CupofJoe.com whom I found to be a good online retailer. As for the tobacco I'm not overly impressed. I like the fact that it stays lit and burns well which is hard with aromatics. The vanilla is subtle, so much so I would not be able to identify on my own. Generally when I go for an aromatics whether it be coffee or tobacco I want it to taste like it is marketed~ both in the bag and in the bowl. I certainly won't throw it away but I won't re-order it either. One other note from the peanut gallery: I have some serious critics here in my home regarding smoke smell and it seems that all of the Dunhill mixtures I currently possess including this Vanilla, and toasted almond all get blamed for smelling like cigarettes which as you can imagine is a low score with this crowd.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

High quality aromatic which provides a cool smoke and no tongue bite. The flavor, a mix of vanilla and wood, is very similar to Captain Black White but a bit milder and with higher quality tobaccos. This seems to me a Burley/Black Cavendish/Virginia mixture, being the latter quite in the background.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

There is no discernable difference between this blend and Lane's 1-Q. Considering that Lane is the U.S. distributor for Dunhill bulks, I would not be a bit surprised if i weren't the same exact blend. I certainly cannot detect any difference between the two.

Lytton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lytton (7)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Excellent aromatic. Quite different from other Cavendish aromatics I tried. It's not the sticky stuff found in our local tobacconists. This is mostly golden strips with a little black Cavendish and moderate vanilla flavoring dressing. At first I was afraid it will burn hot , but its not its quite mild and cool smoke. Aroma is a little bit more "sophisticated" and gentle then other aromatic blends. It's definitely a quality mixture worthwhile smoking once in a while.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)

Ah, dunhill A21000 (what kind of name is that?) for me has achieved aromatic nirvana. I found this blend in bulk on line here in the US...23 bucks per pound and originally ordered a sample along with my usual EMP. Out of the bag it was perfect in every way, cut,moisture level and aroma. Upon being lit the mild, smooth cavendish blend was a mouth full of creamy aromatic bliss with a casing that stayed well in the background and let the quality tobacco taste shine through with nary a bite in site. If you are a smoker that craves his weed laced with enriched plutonium then this is not a blend for you...a sweet, rich mild blend that is a definite crowd pleaser.

dunhill grp 5 bent brandy

acastell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acastell (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Well, this is my first review. If number of bowls smoked is the scale by which we judge Pipe smoking maturity, then I am a beginer. If years make the scale legend, then I am an advanced beginner...

I have been smoking pipes for over 6 years. I smoke about once/month during the winter season and very rarely during the warmer months.

My first tobacco was a local tabaccanists Cavendish blend. I had to smoke aromatics due to the wife...she will not tolerate smoking (neither of us smoke or have smoked in our entire life, before I took up the pipe).

My second blend was the Dunhill 21000...check mate! I hpurchased a few tins from the SF Dunhill store, before closing. I love this tobacco. Yes, I tried Dunhill EMP and love that as well, but the 2100 has a room note that pleases my wife and a flavor that pleases me. Granted, I am certain I do not like the flavor as much as some of the folks here describe there English Blends, but I am satisfied. I tried to make a permanent switch to EMP, but lack of added flavor and my wife complaining, brought me back to 21000.

I love everything about this blend. I purchased 4 tins from Dunhill NY and have them cellar'd...

Thanks for reading...

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Forgive the long review here, but there's a lot to say about this one...and some of it has to do with politics and dates and marketing. A friend of mine recommended this while on a trip to San Francisco - so I stopped into the now gone Dunhill's store there and took a whiff - and promptly bought a tin. Even to this old puffer of flakes and strong English blends this is without question the best smelling tobacco in the universe - you literally are tempted to pop a handful into your mouth. I think it must also be given a dose of PG as it stays "moist" in the very large tin for extreme periods. Vanilla...OK, but there's a sort of cocoa undertone too that gives it a deeper note...just wonderful! Smoking characteristics are very easy...a very large bowl fluffs up on the charring light and then greatly diminishes in volume so that a fairly well-packed bowl becomes about a 3/4 load. Agreed that it burns very fast but you don't need to be super careful to enjoy it. Never had any issue with bite. Certainly a mild smoking experience - with one of the VERY few room notes I can get away with anywhere in this tobacco reviling world - this one produces a reaction similar to the old phrase, "men envy me, women want me". Even though the attraction for me is the aroma, it also has a decent tobacco flavor after the topping has burned away somewhat...after all it IS Dunhill's. I haven't noticed that it stinks up a bowl much, but then I'm careful not to smoke it in dedicated briars...it works nicely in a meershaum. Dunhill's has apparently closed most of their US stores (I've heard NYC will stay and that LA might too) but this is worth the effort to track down and secure. Nearly a year ago a BIG cubish tin cost me just $15 (I smoke cigars too, so pipe tobacco costs seem, well, like a joke) and it's well worth that minimal investment if all you did was just open the tin now and then and take a great big whiff! Going to a party or out on the town and don't what to see women go green and men give you the "fisheye" - take this stuff along and women will say," now, that's the kind of tobacco I like (while giving their cigar-smoking dates the elbow) and guys that aren't "allowed" to light up will stare at you wistfully and say, "I always did want to smoke a pipe". And it happens again and again.

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a great tobacco for aromatic lovers, and new pipe smokers. It has a vanilla top dressing that can be both tasted and smelled. To tobacco s cut in long fine ribbons and is quite easy to pack and light. The smoke is thick, but very mild. The flavoring is noticeable, but not overpowering. Tongue bite is nearly non-existant. This is a relatively fast burning tobacco, so some care should be given. Room aroma is almost a requested sent by those in the house.