A sophisticated, traditional American style blend! Red and lemon Virginias are blended in perfect measure with mild brown and unflavored black Cavendish tobaccos, and a bit of fine, high-grade burley leaf for just a little extra body. The blend is then delicately kissed with a subtle and intriguing flavor, enhancing the natural sweetness of the Virginias and providing a delightful, light room aroma.

BrandTwo Friends

3.1
LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Virginias, Burleys. Cavendish and Perique, all the ingredients seem to be equally distributed without any of them seem to standout, it's very easy to pack and light, the taste is to me apricots and nutty or apples and chocolate, this blend is not at all day blend for me ot kinda leaves a sour note on my mouth, it does pack the nicotine and the ingredients and flavoring are all top notch, would I buy it again yes, for me it's and excellent after dinner smoke or great for watching sports events.

In my opinion this is one of those blends the name of which actually corresponds to its to-bacco contents. It is an ?all American? mixture in the sense that it comprises the best American leafs. Top quality, this is a variegated blend, from very light?almost golden?browns to darkish and black strands (the Cavendished leaf), all very eye catchy. I got this in bulk and like Red-wood, the other Two Friends blend I have tried, it comes on the dry side. As such it is very easy to pack and it lights almost immediately.

This a natural, plain tobacco, though there is faint sweet note on the background, honey like. It does not inmterfere with the smoking experience. Some would say it is old fashioned in the sense it does not convey any artificial agent, such as you find in drugstore blends to aid in the tobacco?s humidity degree; flavorsome, medium strength, it evokes a traditional Burley taste, with a subdued nutty sweetness that is countered by the harshness common to natural blends (i.e., those in which the leaf has not been tampered with beyond the regular curing processes).

As much as I enjoy smoking this type of blends (there is a certain community of flavor that can be found, for example, in Larsen?s Kentucky Gold, in Two Friend?s Redwood or in C&D?s Haunted Bookshop), I do not smoke them regularly. Somehow I get a dry and rather raw aftertaste which I do not particularly relish. But the smoking experience as such is wonderfully rich, intricate in its layers of flavor, long lasting, and the burning rate and qualities are excellent.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (36)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Most of the reviews I read rated the strenght of this to be mild to medium. Maybe I got a strange tin but I would rate it medium to strong. Has just enough of a topping to be sweet but not too much so. Tobacco flavor really comes through.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Two Friends, Heritage… My freshly opened tin aromas said this stuff could have been a aromatic blend. But after smoking a half dozen or so pipe full’s I am happy to report, I found this blend to be mostly dominated by it’s fine tobacco flavors, with only some slight but complementary aromatics coming through during the smoke. Not a very complex blend, as there is little change in flavor from light-up to ashes, which is just fine with me, IMO fine tobaccos require very little help. Smoking Heritage reminds me of a blend that could have been created in the old days, and is now talked about as a OTC blend classic. I’m enjoying this blend quite a bit, and I can see myself keeping a tin or two around from now on, and enjoying a bowl or so on a regular basis, I wish it was available locally. Easy light-up, satisfying nic level, no bite problems and mild/smooth enough to smoke almost any time of the day. IMO Heritage is well worth a try

CochenBallstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CochenBallstein (10)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don't favor aromatic blends like I did many years ago, but I really like Heritage. The room note alone is enough to keep some of this on hand; if they smoke pipe tobacco in heaven (and why wouldn't they?) this is exactly what it would smell like. I would give it 4 stars if not for a bit of inconsistency. The first half of the tin is extraordinary, however the potency of this blend fades once the tin is opened and by the last half is quite bland and void of the many good characteristics that that make it desirable in the first place. Perhaps this is a reflection of poor quality tobacco or not, I cannot say for sure.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought it in Israel. Like most Cornell & Diehl at the bottom has a stamp with the date of packing (26/09/2007). In opened in May 2010, so that it would be aged enough. Red and yellow Virginia, brown and black Cavendish, Burley are the ingredients. Very strong taste, which definitely comes from Cognac, it must also contain a little chocolate and nuts. After a while though it felt too much. You can easily smoke it after a good dinner, but wouldn't suggest it for the morning. It leaves a dry and full white ash at the end. It fills the bowl easily and it's also easily lit. Generally, however, it left me indifferent. Leaves a neutral aroma in the room.

ozarkhillbilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ozarkhillbilly (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Like many have stated, this is the perfect all day blend for the VA smoker. Yeah I know that there is some burley/cavendish in there to, but the VA really takes charge in this blend. As a matter of fact I am smoking a bowl of this as I post. Greg and Craig you guys hit a home run with this one!

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a perfect all day smoke. Full of flavor and satisfying with no bite or aftertaste. A terrific smoking tobacco that doesn't taste like an aromatic or full english, just great tobacco.

ithomka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ithomka (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good blend. One of my favourite. 2 virginias, burley, brown and black cavendish. When you open the tin you can smell a sweet-scented dessert: sour-cherry - chocolate - cognac. 3 in 1. The aroma is not heavy but very pleasant. Tipically everyday aromatic tobacco for me. It was the competiton tobacco of the pipe smoking team world cup in 2007. Slow burning, easy to fill.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I probably never would have tried this blend except for having the honor of meeting Craig Tarler this year at the Chicago show. I asked him what he smoked of his 200 or more blends. He said "Heritage, that's all I ever smoke, its a good smooth all-day smoke." Well, I had to try it. I went through that tin so fast I couldn't believe it! I'll be ordering more, soon. I smoke exclusively C&D tobacco. I have smoked a pipe for 42 years and only discovered C&D two years ago. But, I order about once a month and sometimes more frequently. Meeting Craig and Patty and the rest of his staff was truly an honor. Finer folks you will not find and it is evident in the manner in which they treat their customers. Heritage is something of a well-kept secret. If you like "real tobacco" with mild character and aroma, this is one you don't want to miss!

=UPDATED 07/24/2009= This is my most satisfying Virginia smoke of all time. It has been a daily favorite since May of 2008. I have smoked six pounds of it, have two pounds on hand and and am ordering four more pounds. I want to stay way ahead of the tobacco price increases we will experience in the coming months due to the Family Tobacco Control Act!

=UPDATED 04/06/2011= Yes, I am still smoking a lot of Heritage! It's a sleeper only because it has been around since 1999. It is still the only blend smoked by Craig Tarler. His personal favorite. I have co-created three blends with Craig. But, Heritage remains one of my top all time favorites. I am so glad he introduced me to his own favorite!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (144)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

For a year or so, the Two Friends line was my favorite selection of tobaccos, due in large part to their somewhat offbeat nature. This isn't one of my favorite blends, but it is a worthy all-day smoke for Va lovers. For a mixture containing a lot of lively Vas, this has very little bite. The Cavendish adds a perfect amount of smoothness, and the burley provides enough body to give it a satisfying kick. It is definitely topped with some kind of mild flavor, but I can't quote identify it. This is good stuff, and I completely understand the praise it receives, but I'm not exactly head-over-heels for it. YMMV, of course.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I found Heritage to be a rather ordinary offering without much power and a black cavendish aftertaste that I did not find to be all that pleasant.

This is a cool burning blend and provides lots of creamy smoke as it is consumed. I have not tried it in a small bowl, which, in retrospect, may be why I'm overwhelmed by blend's blandness.

If you enjoy Burley, this will probably not offend. But, if it is Virginia you seek, the search doesn't end with Heritage.

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

First let me say that I don't drink whiskey and that I can smell it for a good distance. Although no has mentioned it, I got a distinct whiskey smell and taste from this tobacco. My tin consisted of a very attractive mixture of black, brown and a few lemon leaf bits thrown into the mix and as expected, it was rather dry (which, normally is a good thing). The first bowl was a disaster due to the topping which as stated before, was some sort of whiskey-tasting stuff (To Me). All in all I have smoked this blend in five pipes of differing sizes and have yet to finish an entire bowl. Try it if you must but don't blame me. The grade of tobacco is very good but that topping just ruins it for me.

OPCElder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCElder (24)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

(Update 6/29/06) This blend has me perplexed. I first sampled this six months ago from Outwest Tobacco and it was everthing I, as a new pipe smoker, could hope for. The sample I recieved was ribbon cut with NO CASING whatsoever; just great tobacco flavor and aroma. I was sure this was going to be my every day blend. I immediately ordered a 4oz tin. When I opened it up I was quite surprised. The tobacco inside resembled the tobacco I sampled but the stuff in the tin was definitely flavored. It wasn't bad, in fact it was quite pleasant, and only diminished the quality of the tobacco a little bit. Still satisfied, I ordered an 8oz bag (The tins have since dissapeared!) and was shocked when I received it. This third batch was nothing like the first and only resembled the second in bag aroma. The cut was not ribbon but more diced into tiny pieces, and quite dry. The magnificent taste and room note I remembered from the first sample was gone completely. I wondered, "Is this the same tobacco?" I think not. Oh how I long for the first stuff.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Gotta love this. The virginias and cavindish play the main stage on this one. The cav is topped with something vaguely familiar, but you got me what it is- I first smelled this the day I met Craig Tarler. He was smoking a beautiful pipe (whose heritage is unknown to me- no pun intended)- and the most intriging smell was eminating from it. I asked what it was, and left with a sample that day. Closest thing to an aromatic I can stand- and strangly- I love the stuff. Can be bity during full moons- Meaning the ryme or reason is beyond me. Can be the smoothest smoke in a Kaywoodie or Mini Church, and bite you in the same pipes next week- So use caution- But it's definatly worth the risk.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)

It is the best of both worlds. the great CD-style of quality and taste and it makes the car and hoome smell fantastic. I like the description "angel food cake" but alas, it is really not that strong of a topping just a hint so you do not gag. smooth, spicy a great american tobacco. also, I have been thinking about if this is kosher to put here in the review pr not but my "what the hell' side took over: - I live in the western side of NC where Cornell and Deihl reside and was extremely lucky enough to go for a visit and meet Mr Tarler. I had a wonderful time and my friend who had been there before, came again with me and we both would recommend it a tobacco destination for all who can get there. Why do i bring this up in this reveiw? Because with all the of the tobacco in bags, cans, and tins sitting around Mr. Tarler's Desk which is situated in the shop as a conductor before a symphony - he smokes this blend all day long. That alone speaks Volumes. Thanks to Mr and Mrs tarler for the experience.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

I am a big fan of most of Pease's blends, so I thought it was high time I tried an offering from the Two Friends brand. I expected to like it, but I never expected to like it this much.

Good Virginia blends are among the most enjoyable tobaccos for me, and this is a great Virginia blend. There is a perfect balance between natural sweetness of the red Virginias and the tang of the yellow (lemon) Virginia, mellowed by the Cavendish. While there are many blends of tobaccos, from many brands, that I thoroughly enjoy, I have never happened across a blend that I could smoke all throughout the day, from dawn 'til dusk - until now.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is hands down, just plain and simple an all day American style smoke. The burley nuttiness comes to the fore while the virginias afford a nice soft & sweet background note. They work together quite exquisitely. The cavendish does its job filling out the blend for a cool even burn. Completely enjoyable from start to finish all day long.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Heritage makes a great all day, all American smoke. I found it initially dry like most C&D blends. This is not a negative. The virginias play well with the nutty burley and there is a nice, subtle sweet background. Heritage is not an overly complex blend and I found it thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end, bowl after bowl. As an aside, I subsequently found out in an email from Craig Tarler that Heritage is the blend he smokes ?almost exclusively.? This, however, had no influence on my most favorable review of this tobacco. It's just a good smoke.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.4 out of 10.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

the two friends blends have all been very tasty to me, and i haven't found a bad one yet. that said, heritage is my current favorite. this tobacco has a great pouch aroma, reminding me of hard apple cider. the appearance is attractive, too, a mottled look with brown and black flakes, along with some lighter colors from the lemon virginias. it reminds me of the leaves of fall, my favorite season of the year. firing up a bowl, the first thing you notice is a sweetness from the virginias, followed by the nutty taste from the burley. the pouch lists a "subtle and intriguing flavor", which i would guess is some type of liquor topping. whatever it is, it really compliments the tobaccos without becoming dominant. the mix of flavors stays consistent to the bottom of the bowl, and relights are minimal. the C&D catalog says that craig tarler and gregory pease decided to do a collaboration on the two friends blends over a bottle of fine single malt while greg was on vacation back in the fall of 1999. fellas, if you are reading this, it's time to get more good scotch and work on more blends!

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading the reviews here I expected to really hate this blend. That not withstanding, I can't resist a Tarler/Pease combo when a sample comes my way gratis.

Surprised - I find it a fairly tasty blend. The above reviewers describe the grassy, grain like qualities - merging with the light topping (almost a peach/cream scent and hint) only slightly.

It is not something I think I would run out and stock up on, but I won't turn it down either. Were I more of an aromatic smoker I'd probably enjoy it even more.

This seems as if it would be an ideal smoke for those wanting an experience similar to the commonly inhaled old fashioned style "OTC" aromatic tobaccos but are willing to occasionally splurge for an admittedly pricier blend.

Zesty Redwood's sweet and adorable little sister? A date for a night of good, clean fun.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Heritage. Nothing here to be offensive in anyway,but just to bland and boring for me. Light's easily enough and behaved well enough to bowl's end,leaving a clean ash. I can't really say anything negative,it just didn't ring any bell's for me! Maybe a good blend if your trying to steer clear from aromatic's,or wan't to try a tobacco that taste's like real tobacco,without a bite! 6 out of 10.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This is very good! I like this better than redwood in that the nicotine did'nt knock me over on this one.( I think the batch of redwood that I have is particularly potent in that I've smoked redwood from other batches that did not bowl me over.) The nicotine made itself known and was quite pleasant as opposed to making the room spin. This reminds me somewhat of redwood with a touch of burley. The burley componant was small in this blend but made a nice contribution. There is definately a lower range in this blend by the addition of the burley. If you like redwood give this a try, very enjoyable!

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

The unflavored Cavendish and Burley combine in a way that I don?t hate ? I just don?t care to experience it again any time soon.

The Va?s are virtually undetectable, as is the ?delicate kiss? of a ?subtle and intriguing flavor?. Maybe if the flavor is that subtle, one should not kiss so delicately.

All I tasted was Cavendish and Burley in a way that reminded me of (cheap) dry red wine. I kept hoping it would get better, but bowl after bowl, it just stayed the same: One dimensional and downright boring.

People around me, however found it to be pleasant.

Nojoqui Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nojoqui (28)

When I received the shipment of Heritage I found it to be so dry that I couldn't have possibly loaded it into my pipe. I had to use three pouch moisturizers in the tobacco jar and stir it for two days to just get to a point where it was moist enough to smoke. Otherwise, I would have ditched it, and never tried it. I think this may have been unusual. The supplier told me that Two Friends and Cornell & Dielhl blends were drier than most, and that it wouldn't be a problem. I followed my own course, and I'm glad I did. Using Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture (one of my favorite Virginia/Perique blends) as a yardstick, I went through a number of pipes and bowls to come up with my conclusions. Heritage seems to be different enough after smoking it over a month that I can say that the comparison is not allowed. It does look simular in many ways, but the burley leaf and the unflavored black Cavendish make a difference. The charing light and the first part of the bowl give me a washed out version of EM. Things change about half way down. The burley kicks in and it amplifies the Virginias. The taste is sweet and satisfying. This is probably due to the Cavendish. It's there, but not demanding of my attention. I'm no fan of aromatics, so that's good. Heritage requires a slow smoke toward the end. If not the burley will drown out the Virginias. Also, you can get a fair nicotine kick if you puff too hard. This blend makes a good all day smoke, I've found. Still I prefer it earlier in the day. It can't hold a match to other blends that I like in the morning now, but I think that might be changing. EM and Frog Morton on the town seem to fit that bill presently. I will probably get more of this stuff just to see if another batch is as dry as this. I've always had to dry out Virginia based blends to enjoy them. I have been smoking this on a regular basis, but I have to say presently that "I smoke this on occasion" even I am now smoking it regularly. I may update this blend after a time, and that may change my rating. UPDATE: I've been smoking this stuff a couple of times a week. It's fantastic. I'd highly suggest that others give it a try. With that, I change my recommendation to "One of my Favorites, I Smoke it Regularly". A great all day smoke! It would be nice if this, and other Two Friends blends, were tinned. I'm sure that it would would be reviewed by many more.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am loathe to provide a negative review for a tobacco produced by two blenders that I hold in such high esteem and one that other reviewers have praised so much. But I simply can't come to grips with this blend.

Vacum packed in a resealable pouch, the leaf is pressed together almost to the point of forming a light cake. The color is mostly golden/green and tan, with a few darker bits scattered about. The tobacco is very dry, to the point where I wonder if it should be rehumidified. The texture is reminiscent of coarse sawdust; you know, the kind that they used to sprinke on the floor of Italian restaurants. The pouch aroma is... a little different.

Due to the vacum pressing, the leaf needs to be lightly rubbed out before packing a bowl. Upon lighting and first puff, I am immediately assailed by a grassy, almost vegetal flavor that I do not find appealing. The tobacco flavor is mostly Cavendish, Burley and a smattering of Virginia far in the background without any of the brightness or sweetness that I was expecting.

Mid way through the bowl, the alfalfa taste starts to diminish and the Cavendish is dominent. Puff slowly, because this can be a very hot smoke and will bite like a badger if smoked too aggressively. Near the end of the bowl, the grass is gone (thankfully) and the flavor is mostly Burley with little or no Virginia noticeable. The bottom of the bowl is a bit wet; which I find puzzling since the leaf was so dry to begin with.

I tried to like this blend, I really did. I struggled through most of a 4 oz. bag of this stuff for over three months, and I thought that maybe a revelation would hit me and I would see the light. But I just can't do any more. The monster beat me.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)

This is very much an all day every day smoke. It has character, but not so much that you have to stop what you're doing to enjoy the smoke. The taste is pretty pure tobacco, with a good measure of sweet Virginias. Excellent transition blend for an aromatic smoker looking to get into the world of non-aromatics.

Theodoric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodoric (8)

This tobacco has a sort of weird sentimental value for me, but it really is very good. I always like lightly aromatic Virginia blends, and this is my favorite that I've tried. It smokes well and is perfect for social settings if you have an aversion to straight aromatics. Actually, most people I know who do not smoke prefer Heritage's room note to that of some of the aromatics I've had. This tobacco isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's a great everyday, default smoke that smells and tastes very good.