A sophisticated, traditional American style blend! Red and lemon Virginias are blended in perfect measure with mild brown and unflavored black Cavendish tobaccos, and a bit of fine, high-grade burley leaf for just a little extra body. The blend is then delicately kissed with a subtle and intriguing flavor, enhancing the natural sweetness of the Virginias and providing a delightful, light room aroma.

Notes: From SmokingPipes - Fans of Virginia/Burley blends will surely love this unsung blend, comprised of red and bright Virginias, dark and white Burley, and a touch of unsweetened Black Cavendish. Easy to pack and light, this smooth sailing smoke offers up layer upon layer of naturally sweet VA flavor balanced with creamy chocolate notes from the Burleys, and all enhanced with a lovely topping of plum, rum, and maple. The topping is understated, and works well to accentuate the depth and complexity of the tobaccos used. Created by Greg Pease and the late Craig Tarler, the two friends of "Two Friends Pipe Tobacco," this blend was Craig's every day smoke for years.

BrandTwo Friends
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

2.9
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The red and lemon Virginias offer a little citrus and dark fruit, and are earthy with some grassiness, but I found them to be dry and dull. The brown and black cavendishes have a little sweetness, but often lose out to the other components. The burley is toasty, nutty, woody, and earthy with no sweetness, and at times, takes a lead, other times, it backs up the Virginias. The tobaccos fight too often for attention, and occasionally cancel each other out. The liquor topping is kind of tart and sour. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite. Burns slow and cool with an inconsistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. The lack of balance, the raw dryness it leaves in the smoker's mouth, and an unpleasant after taste makes it hard to recommend it. One and a half stars.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Virginias, Burleys. Cavendish and Perique, all the ingredients seem to be equally distributed without any of them seem to standout, it's very easy to pack and light, the taste is to me apricots and nutty or apples and chocolate, this blend is not at all day blend for me ot kinda leaves a sour note on my mouth, it does pack the nicotine and the ingredients and flavoring are all top notch, would I buy it again yes, for me it's and excellent after dinner smoke or great for watching sports events.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I probably never would have tried this blend except for having the honor of meeting Craig Tarler this year at the Chicago show. I asked him what he smoked of his 200 or more blends. He said "Heritage, that's all I ever smoke, its a good smooth all-day smoke." Well, I had to try it. I went through that tin so fast I couldn't believe it! I'll be ordering more, soon. I smoke exclusively C&D tobacco. I have smoked a pipe for 42 years and only discovered C&D two years ago. But, I order about once a month and sometimes more frequently. Meeting Craig and Patty and the rest of his staff was truly an honor. Finer folks you will not find and it is evident in the manner in which they treat their customers. Heritage is something of a well-kept secret. If you like "real tobacco" with mild character and aroma, this is one you don't want to miss!

=UPDATED 07/24/2009= This is my most satisfying Virginia smoke of all time. It has been a daily favorite since May of 2008. I have smoked six pounds of it, have two pounds on hand and and am ordering four more pounds. I want to stay way ahead of the tobacco price increases we will experience in the coming months due to the Family Tobacco Control Act!

=UPDATED 04/06/2011= Yes, I am still smoking a lot of Heritage! It's a sleeper only because it has been around since 1999. It is still the only blend smoked by Craig Tarler. His personal favorite. I have co-created three blends with Craig. But, Heritage remains one of my top all time favorites. I am so glad he introduced me to his own favorite!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I found Heritage to be a rather ordinary offering without much power and a black cavendish aftertaste that I did not find to be all that pleasant.

This is a cool burning blend and provides lots of creamy smoke as it is consumed. I have not tried it in a small bowl, which, in retrospect, may be why I'm overwhelmed by blend's blandness.

If you enjoy Burley, this will probably not offend. But, if it is Virginia you seek, the search doesn't end with Heritage.

In my opinion this is one of those blends the name of which actually corresponds to its to-bacco contents. It is an ?all American? mixture in the sense that it comprises the best American leafs. Top quality, this is a variegated blend, from very light?almost golden?browns to darkish and black strands (the Cavendished leaf), all very eye catchy. I got this in bulk and like Red-wood, the other Two Friends blend I have tried, it comes on the dry side. As such it is very easy to pack and it lights almost immediately.

This a natural, plain tobacco, though there is faint sweet note on the background, honey like. It does not inmterfere with the smoking experience. Some would say it is old fashioned in the sense it does not convey any artificial agent, such as you find in drugstore blends to aid in the tobacco?s humidity degree; flavorsome, medium strength, it evokes a traditional Burley taste, with a subdued nutty sweetness that is countered by the harshness common to natural blends (i.e., those in which the leaf has not been tampered with beyond the regular curing processes).

As much as I enjoy smoking this type of blends (there is a certain community of flavor that can be found, for example, in Larsen?s Kentucky Gold, in Two Friend?s Redwood or in C&D?s Haunted Bookshop), I do not smoke them regularly. Somehow I get a dry and rather raw aftertaste which I do not particularly relish. But the smoking experience as such is wonderfully rich, intricate in its layers of flavor, long lasting, and the burning rate and qualities are excellent.

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)

It is without any pleasure that i say, this blend disappointed me greatly. Thinking highly as I do of the esteemed 2 friends as blenders, and having a soft spot as i do for traditional American blends, i was confident i would really like this mix. I was expecting a burley based homage to codger blends, with higher quality components, perhaps with the addition of some sweet virginia. This isn't that for me. I am no snob. I go through tubs of carter hall and half and half. I dont ask for enlightenment and dazzling sensation from my pipe; i more often than not am happy to find cheerful nicotine delivery, and a pleasant companionable smoke. Unfortunately heritage didnt deliver these to me. The rum scent was potent from tin pop, but that didn't get me down. Ive plucked satisfaction from cheaper smelling leaf. First light revealed a disordered, slightly rough tasting hot mouthful. I was undeterred. Ive settled in and enjoyed rides that began this way. I smoked on and noted the harsh quality of the smoke, sipping cooly on my well broken in cob. "She will settle in nicely yet..." i thought, self contentedly musing how clever i was at not being thrown off a great smoke by its poor performance so far. I continued this way throughout the whole unpleasant experience. I couldnt pick out a sweet va note throughout, nor did i coax out warm nutty burley pleasure. The topping didnt produce a scent i sniffed with pleasure. No matter. There are days, weeks even, when most things taste flat and uninspired. However, this never turned a corner for me. Most unusual. Ive smoked it in many pipes, over the course of about 3 months, with nothing but disprganized and occasionally harsh flavors coming through. Ive read many reviews stating something of the like, and always presumed the reviewer was failing somehow. Maybe i am. But this was an unpleasant bowl for me, 25 or so bpwls in a row. Sadly i say, not recommended.

Pipe Used: Cobs, meerschaums, briar

Age When Smoked: New to 6 months

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Mr.Woods Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Woods (10)

I was recommended this blend at my local tobacconist shop, and I enjoyed the chocolate/vanilla note from the tin, but that was about it for me...

This tobacco simply doesn't take me anywhere, and I'm struggling to find any taste that sticks out. It's more like the tobaccos fight each other down to the point that none of the leafs get to shine and show off its own quality! Even if this blend isn't for me it's really not a bad tobacco, the quality is there and I will add one star to it based on that, but can't really recommend it.

Pipe Used: Henrik Rydberg, Stanwell

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Mellgren's Fine Tobacco

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

For a year or so, the Two Friends line was my favorite selection of tobaccos, due in large part to their somewhat offbeat nature. This isn't one of my favorite blends, but it is a worthy all-day smoke for Va lovers. For a mixture containing a lot of lively Vas, this has very little bite. The Cavendish adds a perfect amount of smoothness, and the burley provides enough body to give it a satisfying kick. It is definitely topped with some kind of mild flavor, but I can't quote identify it. This is good stuff, and I completely understand the praise it receives, but I'm not exactly head-over-heels for it. YMMV, of course.

James C. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
James C. (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I'll start off by saying I primarily smoke virginias, don't care for many aromatics, and most burley's come of harsh(unless high grade or in small proportion). This is a nice blend. Not complex but satisfying. A framework of cavendish giving body and roundness to subtle Virginia sweetness accented by a wine type of topping (imho). Gets a little earthier and heavier down the bowl. Not an everyday smoke for me but when I do break it out I'm always pleased with my smoking experience. Virginias don't sing rather the other constituents interplay. Easy burning and perfect moisture out of the tin. Non flavored cavendish based American blend with moderate nicotine and slight topping. Solid blend.

Pipe Used: Smaller pipes

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I have to say that I do like this stuff. Heritage is Virginias, Black Cavendish, and a bit of Burley, but it behaves mostly in the way of a Virginia. The Lemon and Red Virginias dominate this blend, with Burley for body, and Cavendish for a little toastiness. Someone said something about a topping on it. It may be there, but it certainly didn't register with me. What did register with me was mostly the Virginias. Would I buy it again, though? I'm not sure... I was torn whether to give it two or three stars, as I do appreciate the blend, but I digress.

This is a very good blend by master blenders, but I did find that the smoke was somewhat uneventful. A good friend of mine said that it was "kinda boring" and I tend to agree. I actually usually prefer boring blends to the ones that people say "knock your socks off." I find the ones that knock people's socks off almost invariably are one-trick ponies or they have too many things going on for me to enjoy.

Anyway, for what it is, it's pretty good and worth a try. I can't really talk myself into buying more, since there are so many others that I really prefer. It also lacks the strength that I really like in most of the other blends I smoke. I might revisit it from time to time, but it won't make the rotation. We'll call it 2.5 for right now and if I smoke another tin of it and change my mind, I'll let ya'll know.

Pipe Used: Usually a Kaywoodie Flame Grain

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Most of the reviews I read rated the strenght of this to be mild to medium. Maybe I got a strange tin but I would rate it medium to strong. Has just enough of a topping to be sweet but not too much so. Tobacco flavor really comes through.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Two Friends, Heritage… My freshly opened tin aromas said this stuff could have been a aromatic blend. But after smoking a half dozen or so pipe full’s I am happy to report, I found this blend to be mostly dominated by it’s fine tobacco flavors, with only some slight but complementary aromatics coming through during the smoke. Not a very complex blend, as there is little change in flavor from light-up to ashes, which is just fine with me, IMO fine tobaccos require very little help. Smoking Heritage reminds me of a blend that could have been created in the old days, and is now talked about as a OTC blend classic. I’m enjoying this blend quite a bit, and I can see myself keeping a tin or two around from now on, and enjoying a bowl or so on a regular basis, I wish it was available locally. Easy light-up, satisfying nic level, no bite problems and mild/smooth enough to smoke almost any time of the day. IMO Heritage is well worth a try

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a perfect all day smoke. Full of flavor and satisfying with no bite or aftertaste. A terrific smoking tobacco that doesn't taste like an aromatic or full english, just great tobacco.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Heritage makes a great all day, all American smoke. I found it initially dry like most C&D blends. This is not a negative. The virginias play well with the nutty burley and there is a nice, subtle sweet background. Heritage is not an overly complex blend and I found it thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end, bowl after bowl. As an aside, I subsequently found out in an email from Craig Tarler that Heritage is the blend he smokes ?almost exclusively.? This, however, had no influence on my most favorable review of this tobacco. It's just a good smoke.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.4 out of 10.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am loathe to provide a negative review for a tobacco produced by two blenders that I hold in such high esteem and one that other reviewers have praised so much. But I simply can't come to grips with this blend.

Vacum packed in a resealable pouch, the leaf is pressed together almost to the point of forming a light cake. The color is mostly golden/green and tan, with a few darker bits scattered about. The tobacco is very dry, to the point where I wonder if it should be rehumidified. The texture is reminiscent of coarse sawdust; you know, the kind that they used to sprinke on the floor of Italian restaurants. The pouch aroma is... a little different.

Due to the vacum pressing, the leaf needs to be lightly rubbed out before packing a bowl. Upon lighting and first puff, I am immediately assailed by a grassy, almost vegetal flavor that I do not find appealing. The tobacco flavor is mostly Cavendish, Burley and a smattering of Virginia far in the background without any of the brightness or sweetness that I was expecting.

Mid way through the bowl, the alfalfa taste starts to diminish and the Cavendish is dominent. Puff slowly, because this can be a very hot smoke and will bite like a badger if smoked too aggressively. Near the end of the bowl, the grass is gone (thankfully) and the flavor is mostly Burley with little or no Virginia noticeable. The bottom of the bowl is a bit wet; which I find puzzling since the leaf was so dry to begin with.

I tried to like this blend, I really did. I struggled through most of a 4 oz. bag of this stuff for over three months, and I thought that maybe a revelation would hit me and I would see the light. But I just can't do any more. The monster beat me.