The finest cube-cut Burley, chosen for its deep, nutty flavors, forms a robust foundation for this sophisticated blend. Rich, red Virginia tobaccos are added for their subtle sweetness and complexity, while the unique spice of Perique provides added dimension. A delicate kiss of Brandy polishes the blend to a perfect finish. Barbary Coast is delightfully satisfying, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits. The perfect "all-day" smoke!

Notes: From GL Pease: Excellent cube-cut Burley, chosen for its deep, nutty flavors, forms a robust foundation for this sophisticated blend. Rich, red Virginia tobaccos are added for their subtle sweetness and complexity, while the unique spice of perique provides added dimension. A delicate kiss of brandy polishes the blend to a perfect finish. Barbary Coast is delightfully satisfying, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits. The perfect "all-day" smoke.

The name, Barbary Coast, came from my good friend Toren Smiith, in one of the most mind-stunning stream of consciousness, free association, brain dump emails I've ever received. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was the perfect name. Thanks, Toren, and everyone else who sent great suggestions! The prize? You're lookin' at it, buddy! Fame, but no fortune.

Barbary Coast was introduced in March, 2001

Taste

RLandis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RLandis (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Just before Thanksgiving, '08, on a visit to renowned Pipe artisan Larry Roush, I was given a gift of 2 oz of Barbary Coast. The next day, I drove from Ohio to New Jersey, and put a big dent in that inventory, and then ordered 5 lbs more, of which half is gone. It is my go-to, everday smoke, and after drying it out a bit, and learning the nuances of loading my pipes with it, all is well at my smoking rooms in Nashville, TN.

I'm not one of those to describe tobaccos with food or herb comparisons....it has a sweetness to it that I find pleasant, my companions all rave about the smell, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Most importantly, having smoked a fair amount of it, I'm as enthusistic about smoking it as I was on day 1.

An added bonus is that it builds a great cake, rather quickly, in my new pipes.

I've read glowing reviews of this tobacco, and a few rather nasty ones....thank the Lord we all have different tastes!!!!

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (19)
Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

The tin note is Rum and Raisin with Old Gold dark chocolate. The topping itself is brandy however.

The room note is chocolate and smoky tar. It will not win friends with your wife. I smoke this tobacco in the shed alongside the boat.

Barbary Coast is a knock down experience. The perique asserts itself from the first light and never lets up. Perique is your lover, your muse, your mistress; but she will never be your girlfriend. She grabs you by the lapels and slaps your face and demands all of your attention. It also packs a wallop with nicotine. I am a 40 year smoker so I don't say that lightly.

This stuff puts me in a trance like state. If you are after visions of coyote guides or stream of consciousness ramblings, this is your ticket.

All in all a masterpiece of quality tobaccos blended to produce a special smoking experience. If I could have one tobacco before they marched me to the gallows: this would be it.

As an aside, when you hit the last third or so of the bowl, the condensation zone, this is where a lot of the magic has settled. This is heady, wonderful stuff, and for that reason I would avoid system type pipes that remove it from the tobacco, if you want the full experience Barbary Coast can deliver.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

I acquired a new tin of Barbary Coast (BC) a little over a month ago and I’ve been picking at it ever since--I’m down to about ¼ of a tin. This tin was very fresh, only about 3 months old, but I am of the opinion that Burley should be smoked “young” (it’s like beer—the fresher the better.) To counteract the inherent bitterness of the Burley element, red Virginia has been introduced to the blend—the sweetness of the Virginia effectively neutralizes the bitterness of the Burley with just a hint of residual sweetness remaining. There is the suggestion of something “nutty” (more like Brazil nuts to my palate) from the Burley and the Perique provides a bit of weight, body and “darkness” along with something fruit-like (similar to dates). And it’s difficult to entirely escape an awareness of the brandy presence—it lingers around the edges of the flavor elements and wanders in and out of the aroma of the smoke.

The overall taste is dusky, but not completely dark. It is not overly heavy, but this is no light-weight either. I don’t want to give the impression that BC is terribly complex, but there are certainly some nuances that can be masked by the blend’s depth. I would classify this blend as just over 3-stars, but for me, it doesn’t rise to the level of a 4-star tobacco. It’s a VERY GOOD, solid blend, but not a GREAT and WONDERFUL blend….however, it can be quite enjoyable and thoroughly satisfying! This is a MUST TRY for the BURLEY crowd!!

I smoked Barbary Coast (BC) long ago when it was first introduced and then, well, I forgot about it. It wasn’t because I disliked the blend, but frankly at that time my primary interests were elsewhere. I certainly remembered that I had enjoyed it, but whenever it came time to add a few tins to the larder BC always remained somewhere down on the list of priority items.

There are a few major reasons that cubed Burley blends have remained so popular and have developed such a dedicated following. I believe that the major reason for cubed Burley’s success is that it is so very easy to smoke—fill the bowl, push it down lightly with your finger, light it, give it just the lightest tamp to even the top and off you go. It smokes cool and evenly to the bottom of the bowl with an absolute minimum of re-lights and because of its higher nicotine content can be quite satisfying. Burley rarely bites unless it has been heavily cased or treated with preservatives. Many people associate a pleasant, “nutty” flavor with Burley, but I have to say that this is only a sometimes thing, you won’t always find it.

There are two major detractors with Burley—it’s often bitter, sometimes quite bitter, and the taste can be rather flat, bland and monochromatic lacking any sort of complexity, so it can often prove to be rather boring and uninteresting. Most good tobacco blenders are very aware of both the positives and negatives of Burley tobaccos. The real trick in a Burley blend is holding onto the positive aspects of Burley, perhaps even enhancing them, while suppressing or overcoming the negatives. Often the most efficient method of adding some interest and flavor and eliminating some of the bitterness is through the introduction of some sort of flavored black Cavendish and/or by applying a topping or casing to the Burley element (Burley is extremely adept at absorbing flavorings of any kind). This has been done with some success for years (C&D Pennington Gap is a fine example of this method done right.) But more often times than not cubed Burley blends (especially cheap Burley blends slathered with additives and using inferior tobacco) end of being just so much slop and garbage. And this is most unfortunate!

I apologize for devolving into a bit of “Tobacco 101”, but I have done this to make a point. Barbary Coast travels the “high road” as a quality cubed Burley blend.

NOTE: For what may seem an odd reason, I tend to prefer Burley blends in a BILLIARD-styled pipe.

Pipe Used: Peterson 1999 - Year Pipe (Billiard)

ProdigalWeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProdigalWeb (18)

After a long hiatus from pipe smoking, I have returned to it recently. Living way down here in the Appalachian part of southern Ohio, a wide variety of pipe tobaccos is not locally available. Thank goodness for the development of e-commerce since I last smoked. After trying to locate the Balkan-style blends I used to smoke (some of them are still available, but they aren't the same blends they used to be), and after a lot of reading, I decided to work my way through every G. L. Pease blend I could get my hands on. I am starting to work through them in the order they appear on his Web site. The first one is Barbary Coast and I located a supply at Pipes & Pleasures in Columbus, Ohio, a two-hour drive from here.

I must admit that I approached this blend with trepidation since it's a Burley blend and my history with them is not terribly successful. When I opened the tin, I was bombarded with all the variety of aromas, especially the chocolate and the fruits. I had a reasonably new pipe that I thought wouldn't have a lot of leftover notes from my old Balkan blends. The tobacco was probably a little wet, but I let it sit for 30 minutes or so and then packed my pipe. At the first, I noticed quite a bit of tongue bite and thought this was going to be a disaster. But the roughness quickly disappeared as it settled down. Very quickly the sweetness and fruity notes became quite apparent. As I reached about the half-way point, the flavors and aroma became more complex and there was a savory note that I love in my foods.

I am having about my sixth pipe of this blend as I write this. I notice different notes with each pipe full. This blend will probably never be my favorite because I think Pease will have some Balkan blends that will take over that spot, but I will return to it often just to keep my palate from becoming bored. I will probably also keep a couple of pipes dedicated to this blend and to others similar to it. When I finish this tin, I will move on to Cairo.

In the meantime, this is good stuff.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I sought this out as a summer blend, thinking it an aromatic, cool mixture for hot days. It was a good move.

The Bourbon dressing makes this an aromatic, but not in the sugarskandiyuk way or goopy Cavendish treatments unexplainably popular (JMO). BC is not aromatic in the Lake District distinction either.

The Bourbon says "come hither," yet no way interferes with the classy tobacco taste that is BC.

This blend overall is full-flavored, without being overwhelming or heavy, as well as being delightfully complex.

The Virginia component reminds me of McClelland matured Virginias, being rich, deep and requiring care in drawing for best flavor and low temperature. The sweetness is subtle, almost bright and never sooty.

The chunks of cubed Burley are as good as this variety gets. I think it imparts a nutty, cigar-like experience. If you have had appallingly raw, grassy or bitter Burley in the past, BC will renew your interest.

Mr. Pease is not afraid of Perique. Not as heavily ladled as in Haddo's Delight, this is still quite noticeable from beginning to end. It seems to link the Virginias and Burley together and provide what makes this complex.

The tobacco cut makes this work as a blend of cubes and single leaf pieces. Pack it nearly as firm as you would a flake, but back off a bit. Pack it loose like ribbons and you'll need to refill your lighter to keep this smoldering.

This works in medium to large bowls, straight and tapered bores. I get the best performance from BC in a largish, tapered rig.

I have shifted away from Haddo's or Cumberland as of late for various other interests. Unadorned Virginia flakes and medium to full English mixtures make my team line up. Barbary Coast fills a niche and will likely be as close to a daily staple as can be said for my smoking wanderlust.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a delicious burley based smoke. It is certainly different from anything which I have tried thus far. It is flavorfull and satisfying. If you even think you like burley blends, then you will probably be astounded by this stuff. I've tried several GLPease blends so far, and they all have been very high quality tobaccos. This one however strikes me as something special.

I like cigars as well as pipes, and this tobacco's flavor really appeals to me. It's a no-nonsense "real tobacco" blend that probably is closer to what classic Americana tobacco blends of yesterday would have been if taken to an absurd level of quality. Barbary Coast has an interesting grassy sort of flavor that others have commented on which presents itself early on and is quite unique. While not excessively overwhelming, and not too bitey, this is nontheless strong, highly tasty and very smokable tobacco.

This tobacco also is possessed of a fantastic aroma which makes me think of bygone days of yore. To me it has a classic "pipe tobacco smell" which others may or may not like. It doesn't smell like vanilla, or fruit, or whatever, instead it smells like good old tobacco and I like it. It has a room note that could only come from a pipe.

This is definately a burley masterpeice. Give it a try sometime.

[update] After smoking this stuff for a while, I admit I am hooked. I restrict myself to one wonderfull bowl per day. This blend deserves FIVE stars. It is simply fantastic. Almost every other GLP blend that I have tried is a four star smoke, but this one is even better in my opinion. I need to order more of these wonderfull chunks of goodness ASAP;

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

I probably shouldn't be writing this review yet. I bought a tin of this less than a month ago and it was date stamped only about a month before I bought it. I promise to do a an update if my opinion changes over time.

That said, I'm not sure about this one. This is another one that I really wanted to like. A tobacco that would be a good "all-day" smoke that I could buy in bulk and keep some at work. Something flavorful, with good tobacco taste that doesn't drive others away with pungent latakia, etc. Barbary Coast (absolutely wonderful-sounding name) actually fullfils most of those qualifications. But I have experienced some unexpected side-effects.

First, this is the sloooooowest burning tobacco I own. that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it also has required more re-lights than any tobacco I have ever tried or even heard of. Good lord this stuff is tough to keep burning! Second, I seem to get a kind of stomach ache everytime I smoke this. Kind of a hard, lump in the top of my stomach. Maybe it has a very high nicotine content or maybe I am just working so hard at keeping it going, that my stomach just gets tired...

The things I like about BC (besides the name): the cube cut (this is the most unique, quality-feeling, fun to pack cut I have experienced), the taste (great burley content), the slow burn and good draw (when it is burning properly). Now it could be that the problem I am having keeping it lit will go away as the tin dries out a little, I don't know. And my stomach aches might just be coincidences... Time will tell and I will do a followup on this one but, for now, I will not be ordering that 8oz bag just yet.

Update 8/29/05: I just dumped the remainder of my nearly empty tin into one of my small travel pouches, so I can take this with me when I go out. Obviously, this blend has grown significantly on me. I have nearly finished the tin and will be buying it again. I came to realize that the tin I got was just too fresh and it needed to sit a while and dry a little to mellow out for me. My next tin will be shelved for at least 3 months before I dive into it. I suspect this is really much better than I know, simply because I haven't tried it properly aged yet. Again, love the cut and the high quality of the tobacco and the issues I had early on proved to be anomalies or a result of an improperly aged tin. I can now recommend it and that recommendation will likely become stronger after aging a couple of tins.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't personally know any pipe connoisseur who could knock this blend. Overall, Every GLPease blend ranks a 3 or 4 in my book. Barbary cost ranks a 4 because of its general taste, complexity, balance, perfect moisture content, and finish.

Being that it has a large amount of cube cut burley, it took me about 3 - 4 bowls to find the best way to pack. Gravity packing with a gentle tamp is the best way to start. Puff on it for about a minute, then gently tamp again and relight. Using this method, it will smoke 2/3 to 3/4 of the bowl before the final relight. From the first to the final puff, the experience is a nutty, vegetal, grassy like experience with an exotic spice to round off. All of these flavors mix well, rotating their dominance in succession throughout the experience. The last quarter or so of the bowl after relighting allows the walnut-fig like taste of the perique to dominate with a sharp spice, but without bitterness. There is usually a flake or two left of uncharred burley when it is all said and done, but hardly wasteful, as the experience is what I consider ideal for any pipe smoker.

Two recommendations: 1) as the tin gets down to the last 20%-30%, drop a little humistat disc into it to allow just enough moisture to keep from smoking too hot. 2) Smoke in a fine briar when you have time to sit & enjoy. It is too good to waste on an on-the-go venture.

Argo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Argo (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Boy, am i glad i kept this tin, and smoked it all the way throgh. Here's the story on my affair with BC.

Popped the tin a month ago. Sticky chunks. Smelled good, but... essentially sticky chunks. I went to rubbing a few. Played with packing for a few days, knowing beforehand the challenge most described with packing this. Like many reviews here, my reaction was...

"... is that it?"

It was ok at best. Nothing deserving praise or worship, like we all hear. Then one day, the extremely loose plastic cap(which most pease tins suffer from) which i kept covering the tin fell off, when the tin was(unknown to me) knocked from my desk. I found it 4 days later, 1/8th contents on the floor. I still had well over half the tin safe, so i cleaned up the chunks, and decided to smoke some then and there. The chunks were now bone dry. So dry, certainly considered unsmokable quality for most tobacco. I gave a whirl.

....Wow. It was -amazing-. I just dropped the chunks and dust into my pipe, and for reasons i can't explain, this stuff just plain works best that way. I cannot detect the brandy at all, just sweet virginia and burley intermingling, with a very light hint of perique, almost undetectable. I was simple astounded that a blend without latakia could satisfy me so much. So do yourself a favor. Get this stuff BONE, and i mean bone dry, and try it. I scincerely believe if any of the reviewers here that give 3 stars or less, tried this really dry, we'd have solid reviews of 4 stars. Your results may vary ofcourse, but i just don't see how. I'm now a Barbary Coast junkie.

Happy smoking to one and all.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first approached GLPease blends, I immediately started with Latakia mixtures because of my passion for smoky, spicy and not too sweet tobaccos: the first two candidates were Mephisto and Odyssey. I found them great, but perhaps a bit over-hyped. OK, they taste very good, but they lack a bit of punch at times (at least I thought so before I tried Blackpoint and Abingdon). So it comes as a surprise, considering my passion for Latakia, that my favorite GLP blend so far (the third I have tried) is Barbary Coast, which doesn't contain Latakia at all!!!! This blend is such an uncommon one, and so monstruosly good, that I really begin to understand why Greg is called the Dark Lord... Upon opening the tin, the appearance was rather unusual: now I understand what "cube cut Burley" means! The tobacco looks like the little pellets in cartridges for hunting rifles! Very moist, but probably this is due to the light brandy topping (very perceivable in the aroma, more than the rum in Mephisto) and it isn't a problem when you pack and light the bowl: this blend just fires up great. In spite of the moisture, it keeps burning perfectly: it IS possible to finish a bowl without relighting! It can get a bit hot if you overpuff (but it doesn't bite, and it still tastes great), but the result is always a perfect, light gray, extra dry and fine ash. No wetness at all! One of the best burning tobaccos I have ever tried, undoubtedly. Best for last: the taste! While I might prefer it to be a slight bit less sweet, I can't really complain: after all it isn't sweeter than some of my other Virginia blends, and it is a completely fascinating and overpowering experience. My, this Burley is fantastic, absolutely different from the bitter, unpleasant leaf that is found in other blends. It is difficult to tell the contribution of the various tobaccos employed here, as the taste comes as a unique whole: I can say that the Perique is barely perceivable, and that the Virginia provide an excellent sweet backing to the extremely nutty, smoky and earthy Burley. Yes, earthy: it's really like the smell of the wet earth when you take a walk in the woods after the rain. I never grow tired of this taste: it is satisfactory, filling and caressing, and doesn't get bad towards the end of the bowl. The brandy is not very perceivable in itself, but certainly gives its contribution in rounding the edges off the blend. And the room note, while not strictly pleasant to non-smokers, is not nasty at all. This is one of those tobaccos that I keep craving more and more for, no matter how much I smoke them! Definitely recommended for those who prefer something tastier and smokier than plain Virginia/Perique blends!

2011 Update: OK, after many years (and more smoking experience), I have to downgrade this one a tiny bit. It is a great blend, but I tend to find it a bit monochromatic, especially in aged tins (go figure!). Still, one of the best burley blends out there.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I find it difficult to develop an appreciation for Burley blends in general. With a couple of exceptions, I just don't understand what all of the fuss is about. Having said that, I think that Barbary Coast is one of the more interesting Burley blends I have tried.

I enjoy the smell of the leaf in the can, and I really love the cube cut of the tobacco. This blend provides a smooth and mild smoke, maybe a bit too mild for my taste. The Brandy adds an interesting top note to the Burley. I find the room note to be mild, but my wife claims that it smells like a cigar (?). Lighting is easy and the burn rate is good. Did I mention that I really do love the cube cut?

I agree with other reviewer's comments re: the nuttiness, but I find that the Virginia flavor is very much in the background. I like the overall taste of this tobacco, but I just wish that there was more of it.

Post Script 5/4/2004: I recently opened a can of Barbary Coast that had been aging for well over a year. What a difference - absolutely fantastic! The nutty, creamy Burley is well balanced by the sweet, tangy Virginia flavors with just the right amount of Perique spiciness. This is what I was expecting when I reviewed a fresh can months ago. Also, this blend seems to work best for me in a larger (group 4-5) size pipe.

BeaN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeaN (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

this is by far my favorite tobacco to date. ive smoked drugstores for a couple years but only in the past 8 or so months have i begun to learn of the diversity which is pipe tobacco. once a month ai place an order and try out new blends based on the responses here and in a couple other places. praise the heavens i tried this in my first order as i havnt stopped buying it since. well anyways... heres my description of BC

tin aroma: a wonderfull medley of brandy, nuts, and mild VA sweetness.

tobacco consistancy: cubed burley with mottled ribbons of VA and perique, a fine presentaion. its a bit moist out of the can IMO so i try to let it dr on a plate for around 6 hours at which point it packs and lights well.

the smoke: this is a complex blend which changes flaovor with every few puff drawn. initially you pick up on the sweeter va and brandy topping flavors. then the flavor of the nutty burley starts to stand out, gently wedding with the sweeter tones. finally towardds the bottom the perique begins to come through and your left with a full and spicey finish. only problem i have is if i havnt dried it enough at which point it does get a bit gurgley and the heel of the pipe is left with cubes of wet dottle that refuses to burn.

i recommend this blen to any loer of burley, va, aromatics. hell i think even an english lover could find a place for this rich, earthy blend in their roatation.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Strong

For some reason, I just wasn't as impressed with this blend as I had hoped to be. As summer approaches and temperatures rise here in Houston, I've been smoking fewer bowls of latakia and more bowls of burley, mostly Butera Kingfisher and Mac Baren's Navy Flake. Compared to these outstanding (and unabashed) burley blends, Barbary coast comes off as a bit of an odd duck.

For starters, when you first open the tin, the aroma that greets you is sort of a combination of brandy and vinegar, resulting in a (horrific) vision of brandy-splashed McClellands. The tobacco is in that familiar burley cube-cut, and inspection reveals that there is indeed a fair bit of burley present.

Once lit, the flavors of this blend to indeed include "walnut, chocolate, and dried fruits" as the tin copy claims. Along with a fair bit of virginia flavor. And a lot of brandy. Mr. Pease could definitely have gone a little lighter on the brandy. Unfortunately, the burley only peeks out at odd intervals, almost completely overpowered by the virginia and brandy. While this gives it more intensity and flavor than a more simple burley blend, in my mind it takes Barbary Coast out of the realm of "Burley Blends" and into the "Virgina" or "aromatic" categories, albeit a mild virginia or a mild aromatic. Actually, IMO Barbary Coast is a stronger virginia than Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster, which is a straight virginia blend!

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

Tin Aroma: Sweet and sour, with a slight vinegar undertone. I expected a nuttier, sweeter scent, given the amount of cube burley in this blend, but it seens that the virginias used are very potent, at least in the aroma.

Physical Characteristics: Almost uniformly brown, this is evenly divided between short chopped ribbons of virginias and cube cut burley, wich, if you have not seen it, look like tiny pellets of tobacco. Pleasantly moist, without being goopy, I believe even a heathen like me that dries out almost every blend before smoking, can smoke this straight out of the can, which is good, seeing as how much I like this. Given the size of the cut, and all the cube cut in it, this fills any size/shape pipe easily. A bit of care is necessary in packing not to get the airhole obstructed with a cube of burley, or filled with tiny virginias bits, waiting to be sucked into your mouth. This is probably the only blend I have seen where it would be possible to fill your pipe simply by dipping the bowl down into the can :) Burns to a very fine white ash.

First Light: Ahh, sweet nutty burley. Burley is probably my favorite tobacco by itself, and I have been known to smoke straight burley day in and day out, especially during the hot South Carolina summer, so it is wonderful to find an expertly developed blend that provides so much wonderful burley taste. There is evidence in the first few puffs that the virginias are not quite as heavyy as the aroma would have indicated, but I know better than to discount virginias in a blend until I get to the last puff. Perhaps they will appear later in the smoke. The nicotine content is about average for a burley blend, slightly higher than other types of tobacco, which is not really something I mind. I was correct, the virginias do come out a bit more towards the end of the smoke, but not enough to overpower the burley at all. The transition is nice and easy, and never really leaves the real of the nuttiness of the burley, it is simply added to by the virginias.

Notes: Need to build cake in a new pipe? Look no further. For reasons I cannot intelligently explain, this blend builds cake like no other I have encountered. Smoked in a virgin pipe, a decent amount of cake will begin to form even after the first smoke, which is quite a blessing for folks like me that cannot seem to build cake in pipes easily. The second half of the bowl gets a bit drying to the mouth, but is easily fixed with a good cup of tea. I actually prefer to drink cold water with this blend, so as not to dilute any of the flavors. The perique is, in my opinion, barely noticeable in this blend. It lends a bit of spiciness to the blend, but is not 'out front' at any time during the smoke.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The initial aroma is hard to describe, being very fragrant and pleasant, but not like the typical aromatic. Instead, it seems to be a bouquet of natural aromas combined with the nuttiness of good aged burley. The overall effect is similar to a vintage Port wine. The cut is a mixture of varied size cube cut, some rough cut, and a bit of broken flake (red virginia?). The color is mostly red and orange, with traces of darker tobacco present. The blend seems a bit moister than usual for Pease, but still not as moist as many others I've tried. I had no trouble packing the first pipe, but noticed that it needed a light touch or it might easily get too tight. It lights easily, and burns better than I thought it would. The initial flavor is something like the old burley blends of my youth, only much more refined. There is an underlying nuttiness, with some almost fruity notes and a touch of tingle. The smoke is gentle to the tongue and palate, dense and cool. The flavor develops nicely with no surprises in the middle third of the bowl. So far, I have only tried this in smaller (group 3) Sasieni four dots, as they have been used for burley previously. The room note is quite nice, almost like walnuts, and got positive comments from my LSW. In general, I would recommend this to any smoker who appreciates the subtler taste of burley, or is looking for a change of pace from virginias or orientals, and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking to get away from the "perfumed" aromatics.

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Yuck!!! Burley. Err, or that's what I thought before GLP's latest masterpiece. That's right. MASTERPIECE! Right now this is my favorite tobacco, granted that's mostly because it's so new and refreshing -but I have a feeling it'll always have a place in my regular smokes. I say this because, it is very complex and fun to smoke, it is very mild yet is quite satisfying, it burns well and it has a great room aroma.

OK, first things first... this tobacco looks funky. It's base is a cubed burley, and the virginias and perique seem to contrast well visually as well as in the smoking qualities.. more on that later. The tin aroma is also unique, one can certainly smell the brandy -but the earthiness also comes through. My only complaint was how moist the blend is when the tin is first opened. I defintiely recommend letting the tin air out, or air drying a bowl's worth at a time.. that said, back to the blend.

My first attmept at smoking Barbary coast, I enjoyed it.. but it was on subsequent smokes that I realy fell in love... in fact, the more I smoke it the more I like it. The blend is so complex that the interplay and complexity of the tobaccos changes in each pipe. Of course the nuttiness and slightly bitter burley is the backbone of this blend, but a vast array of flavors (chocolate, fruity and even a touch of spicy) are constantly dancing across the palate.. almost to the point that you won't know what flavor will hit on the next puff. I don't think I've ever smoked a blend which had this complex characteristic as much as Barbary Coast does... it makes it fun to smoke. The nuances are so multi-dimensional that by the time he bowl is finished i am looking forward to my next bowlful.

The smoke is also rather mild and very, repeat, very smooth & creamy. When I accidentally inhaled (as I am prone to do) I barely noticed it, it was so mild on my throat. The nicotine level, as one would imagine from the burley & perique, is quite satisfying.

Barbary coast, so long as it is aired out a bit prior to packing, also smoked very well. A very cool dry smoke, though it leaves a slightly dirtier ash than the VAs I ususally smoke. As for the room aroma, let's put it this way: I was sitting with a young lady I know and was smoking some Macbarens' Mixture (hailed as one fo the most pleasant smelling 'baccys to the non-smokers). After a while I lit up some BC and she made several comments on how nice it smelled, much better than 'that other stuff'... she was so impressed that she actually wanted to try it to see how it tasted.

Barbary Coast is a winner - Greg Pease once again proves his skills as a master blender.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Strong

Never has a Burley blend been so wonderfully silky and smooth. However, Barbary Coast is more than that; it has remarkable depth and gentle nuance. The depth of Greg Pease?s latest blend gives the smoker the impression that the flavor lies just beneath the silky surface that restrains it. The strength and complexity seems ever so slightly veiled by the smoothness of the veneer, always preparing to break beyond it, but continually self-restraining. It is subtly sweet with the considerable nutty overtone so characteristic of good Burleys. Rich hazelnut flavors intertwine with a silky, almost chocolate like nuance. A citrus or apricot flavor is distinct during the first few puffs and slowly tapers off as the bowl progresses and yields to the more mellow chocolate and nut flavors.

The ingredients on the back of the can read as follows: Burley, red Virginias and Perique with a hint of Brandy. Usually I will talk about the various components and their impact upon the final flavor and thereby dissect the blend in a relatively scientific way. I cannot do this with Barbary Coast, for it is far more than the sum of its parts. The blend effuses a sense of mystery, offering both delicacy and a hidden, reserved strength and, therefore, I choose not to pry too far or dissect too closely. Some blends, just like some books, are better left unfettered by senseless criticism. Barbary Coast is one such blend.

Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bear (24)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

A pretty tobacco with Virginia and plenty of cubed Burley and an appearance so familiar and comfortable that I wanted to dip my savinelli in it and load it with a thumb - pack the way my Grandpa used to. Muted fruit bouquet with a hint of Brandy, told me that this would be a considerably different than previous G.L. Pease offerings.

The touch of a match freed a pleasant scent that was mildly "aromatic" without the usual cloy of it's less sophisticated brethren. My wife walked in to the room, did a dainty sniff  and remarked "it looks like you've finally found your party tobacco". As an aside, one of the holy grails that I have been in search of for many years was a tobacco that I could smoke in public situations and satisfy the people around me with a pleasant scent, and have a smoke that tasted like....well, tobacco. She was right, I had found it.

The taste was light, smooth and sweetly nuanced with just enough body to have a mouth filling quality that any "serious" tobacco should have. The burn was clean all the way down to the dottle, and, in subsequent smokings, even when I deliberately overpuffed, I couldn't provoke a tongue bite, something that I have rarely experienced in any smoke, much, less one with substantial Burley In short, this stuff is attractive in appearance, has a scent that reminds you of why you took up a pipe in the first place, and could easily be in your top "rotation" as an excellent all day smoke.

Score another hit for Greg Pease.

7 out of 10 Bear Claws

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I often smoke during my 45-50 minute drive to work. So, I have little patience for a "high maintenance" tobacco. Regretably, Barbary Coast is such a tobacco. It requires several relights, regardless of how carefully I fill the bowl, or how I smoke. That does not lend itself to safe driving.

In every other respect, this is an excellent tobacco. High quality tobacco is clearly evident. There was absolutely no hint whatsovever of bite. The taste, though a digression from my usual VA and VA/P blends is wonderful. The delightful taste of great tobacco treats my taste buds while smoking. And the lingering taste on my palate is enjoyable.

But, driving or not, I lose patience quickly with a tobacco that extinguishes frequently and requires relights. It detracts from the pleasurable experience of smoking a great tobacco, which is the only reason I smoke the stuff in the first place. I have aired it out for brief periods several times. Tonight, the tin is staying uncovered over night. I hope it works, but it may also be counter productive, stealing the satisfying taste that I seek. For the high maintenance I must give it two stars only.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a truly pleasurable smoking experience. Starts like a great VaPer. The Virginias are uncommonly rich and sweet. The Perique, tart with ample spice. The Brandy is present in the aftertaste of each retrohale. A very nice touch. As the bowl progresses the Burley ever so slowly starts sneaking in until, at near half bowl, a balance is reached between the three. In spite of the disappearance of the Brandy aftertaste this my favorite part. For what seems too short of a time the balanced flavors provide a wonderful taste experience. Past halfway the Burley dominates, but only slightly. The flavor and sweetness of the Virginias remain, slightly muted. The flavor of the Perique nearly disappears, but the spice remains. The nuttiness of the Burley really shines through here. The flavors hold steady in this manner to the end of the bowl. This is a Burley blend I can hang my hat on. Very well done.

Pipe Used: MM General

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this blend. A lot going on here. VaBurPer with a pronounced casing (well, pronounced for a non-Aro). Fantastic tin note. I would strongly recommend this for an Aro smoker looking to expand into more robust and interesting tobaccos. I refer to this as a 'crossover' blend. As some previous reviewers have commented, it does burn faster than other Pease blends due primarily to the cube cut. My strategy here has been to pay close attention to packing, using gravity with just a hint of pressure on the top third of the fill. Unlike most aros, the brandy casing translates directly to the flavor and is not at all harsh, overdone, or unpleasant.

dilworthpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dilworthpipes (1)
Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

I found this to be a very subtle blend. The burley came through very well but the others flavors (Virginia, Perique, brandy) are to be found only by those who seek them out. I really enjoyed the complexity of it all. Very challenging to smoke properly. If you're a new pipe smoker I would come back to it in a few years. Due to the complexity I got the best flavor out of long, full draws as to employ the full palate.

This blend didn't develop much for me, in fact, it kind of gets harsh if you smoke a really deep bowl (deeper than 1 1/2") so I recommend a shallow but wide bowl. Pretty heavy nicotine is another reason not to smoke a huge bowl.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh my, another delectable offering from the grand master of all things pipe tobacco. This stuff is Delicious. The brandy influence is very nice, and this blend can really hit that sweet spot.

Barbary Coast is technically a burley blend but boy you can sure fool me. This blend comes off to me as a masterful aromatic. It is so very good. Super dark and deep and lush. There are times when this blend is a little too much for my palate. This is like a really heavy and lush chocolate dessert. Sometimes it is so good, and sometimes it is just a little too much. When I am in the mood however, this just hits the spot just right. The flavors are so dark and sweet. This one is a real treat. Even though this is really like an aromatic, it does not behave like one. This blend is like a born aromatic that was adopted and raised by a burley family. The blend is not at all goopy or bitey. Its really nicely done.

Just a quick word of warning. I am like the incredible hulk when it comes to nic hits. Even the strongest of tobacco's do not seem to have any effect, but this one for some odd reason gave me a slight case of the spins. I could see how some light weights may be overwhelmed by this one. Highly recommended.

Dr. Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Dan (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first experience with a G.L. Pease blend, and I have to say, overall, it's interesting and enjoyable, as I expected.

The tin aroma is highly reminiscent of(Forgive me GLP) Sir Walter Raleigh. Slightly chemical-y, and the pronounced smell is of brandy. It was nicely moist right out of the tin, but I don't think slight drying will hurt anything.

The method I have employed to pack this tobacco is to lightly fill the pipe, and then to poke it down ever so slightly with a finger, then I blow through the stem to make sure that none of the burley is stuck in the draft hole.

After a charring light, this tobacco burns pretty easily and thoroughly, though you have to be careful not to puff too hard, or it will bite a bit. I tasted notes of chocolate, but not like an artificial chocolate flavoring, just a nice natural taste. Burley predominates, though, at least to my palate. Overall, it just tastes like tobacco. Virginia and Perique help things along by adding occasional interest.

Nicotine content is fairly strong. Not overpowering, but enough to get my attention about midway through a medium-sized bowl.

Room note was a little heavy, though not acrid like a cigarette. I prefer to smoke this outdoors.

I find this blend slightly finicky. I didn't have to fight it to make it enjoyable, but it did require a little patience and effort. Definitely not for a first-timer. Recommended if you're looking for a fairly natural tasting blend, with a little additional interest.I will probably buy more of this blend, and will definitely continue to sample G.L. Pease's creations.

fmjiii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fmjiii (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The perfect "all-day" smoke if you like aromatic tobac. Upon opening this tin I was greeted by a wonderful aroma of raisons, figs and plums. BC has a light topping of brandy that is very evident upon breaking the seal.

Packing & Lighting: A very loose pack bowl; just tapping the bowl to let it settle lightly is perfect. It takes a light pretty well and having packed it loose stays lit nicely for me. Note: Medium to large bowl works very well with this blend.

Taste & Aroma: Similar to the tin aroma, BC is deep, a dark chocolate, and brandy spirits, taste and smell; though not too sweet.

Nicotine: Strong

I ordered a 8oz tin to enjoy in its youth and some 2oz tins to cellar; will try in a few years.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As of this entry{HOORAY-NEW YEARS DAY}6AM, decided to kick in some very flavorful backy in one of my Savanelli's, Barbary Coast. I bought 8 ounces of this stuff two weeks ago and this is my official second experience with a clean pipe and a good cup of coffee. Absolutly wonderful. At first opening i was greeted with an almost overwhelming whiff of Brandy, along with some of the red virginias that was peeking out from under the casing. Couldn't wait to put a match to it and done so in a residue laden handmade briar. A no no. Alas, you live and learn. Don't try this on a pipe dedicated to english blends, try it on a clean briar, one of your favorites and sit back and truly enjoy a holiday treat, or any day for that matter. If you're a connesiur of the spirits as i am, then you will appreciate this blend from G.L. Pease. Warning..Rich Brandy and sweet red virginias are evident from top to bottom, i even detected a hint or two of Lousiana perique that made this blend even more interesting. Strength was meaured by a few untimely coughs so don't be overdoing this too much as the nicotine level is right up there along with everything else. ...THIRD LIGHT...Still absolutely wonderful. Detecting black walnut and spicy perique Considering adding this to my rotation.

panfolk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panfolk (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I love this stuff. It's a little like Haddo's Delight without the overwhelming cocoa flavor. It's flavorful enough to be a treat but mild enough to be an all day smoke. Love the brandy note.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

GLP tobaccos always make me work to find their secrets, as they are without a doubt the most complex tobaccos I've found. However, this is the second one in a row that I've found fairly simple to unlock. I'm on a roll! :)

Nice cube-cut dark walnut colored blend with a wonderful nose of brandy. At first it smelled like too much brandy, but the taste was subdued, particularly once dried out a touch. Interestingly, I enjoyed the flavor both at tin moisture and dried out for an hour. It's a sweet and savory blend - almost an aromatic, except for the fact that the tobacco taste is very much more prominent that the flavoring. This is a true mixture, as all components add to the whole. The burley nuttiness was at the forefront along with a subtle brandy flavoring, but the VA's and the perique added their color and nuance. This would definitely be a good all day smoke for someone who had a lot of people around. The room aroma was nice and unimposing.

Already almost 150 reviews for this one! My tin was dated 3/09, so perhaps some aging time simmered down the brandy. Really a nice taste treat for the proper occasions. I'll buy more of this. Might make for a nice holiday smoke.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Simply ....this is a trascendental aromatic blend. A lot of Brandy, but under the brandy there is a universe ! Earthy & nutty cubed burley, a touch of perique...undertones of black earth-chocolate-wood-coffee beans-musk..... Unforgettable ! Highly reccomended. I hope mr.Pease will enlarge, in the future, his offer of aromatic blend.

ask4free Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ask4free (7)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Just had one of my best bowls ever! Barbary Coast is fantastic! Nice rich flavor almost perfect sweetness. Cool smoke and very easy to pack bowl due to the cubed cut. It went very well with a sweet rum & coke. I will definitely buy more when this tin is finished.

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (9)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Un-freakin believable tobacco. The perique starts off strong and gives way to a lovely complex smoke. There is a wonderful sweetness and flavor that develops from about the beginning of the 2nd half of the bowl. At any time you can bring the perique back full force by some heavy puffs. Towards the end it reminded me of some whiff of pipe tobacco from a distant time, you know that hauntingly beautiful smell as a child that made you want to smoke a pipe? Here it is. Oh! mistress nicotine how I adore thee!

jdsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jdsmoke (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

At this early point in my pipe smoking career, any tobacco is going to lose at least one point for not allowing itself to easily stay lit, and sadly BC is falls short on this point. I could not even coax the contents of a year-old, opened can to cooperate in any of my smallish pipes. Mostly likely my inexperience, but still, this is not a beginners tobacco. Secondly, and probably a result of my fumbling with the lighting issue, I seemed to suck all the flavor out of this blend in the first few minutes, leaving a tasteless rock hard residue behind where there should have been fine ash. On the other hand, this stuff smells delicious in the can, and tastes not all that bad, should one decide to pop a few morsels in the mouth. I'm going to keep the rest of my can around for when my technique improves, or for when i get a larger bowled pipe, as I suspect that may make things easier.

hazmat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hazmat (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I became a big fan of cube-cut Burley after smoking C&D's Crooner when I was early in my pipe smoking experience. Since then I have fallen in love with Perique blends while Virginias are my standard smoke. In this blend, I get the best of all three.

My initial go with Barbary Coast left me wondering where the flavor was and I had a somewhat difficult time keeping it lit. I cracked the can open a bit and let it dry out a spell and went after it again with entirely different results. The Burley was oh-so nutty and of very high quality while the VA and Perique combined for a mildly sweet, somewhat fruity note. The "kiss" of brandy was barely noticeable and I venture to guess that it is most likely not even necessary. The room note seems to be pleasing and has been remarked upon positively by smokers and non-smokers alike.

All that being said, I do believe this is a blend that's much like the Dallas Cowboys.. one either loves it or hates it. For my part, I love it and would recommend that everyone at least give it a chance.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)

This is my second re-write of my original review of BC. In the last one, I knocked it down to one star because of difficulty in lighting and keeping it lit, and a taste that just didn't do it for me. I've since smoked some more in different pipes and have found that it deserves better than that. Specifically, my Mark Tinsky 2005 Christmas pipe gave me a better appreciation for this tobacco. I found that using Greg Pease's technique of gravity feeding, lightly tamping, then sprinkling a little more on top to light made it much easier to light and keep this tobacco lit. Once lit, the flavors of tangy Virginia, nutty burley, and sweet brandy all show themselves during some parts of the smoke, and intertwine with each other at other times. I smoked it slowly using the breath smoking technique and had no problems with tongue bite. Towards the end of the smoke, I did detect some burley bitterness that detracted from the smoke somewhat.

Scores for Barbary Coast: taste-13 out of 20; packing, lighting and burn-7 out of 10; value-7 out of 10. Total score-27 of 40. It's right on the line, but I'm going to give BC * because I think aging will improve it more.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is another enigma to me. Unlike most GLP offerings, I liked it from the first bowl. The tin aroma was delightful and complex. The tobacco was moist to the point of being unsmokeable immediately after opening. A few days patience, however, alleviated this issue entirely. Once dried a bit, the tobacco packs, lights, and smokes easily. And what a smoke! The complexity hinted at by the tin aroma is fully borne out during smoking. Just when you think you have the flavor nailed, another nuance surfaces and invalidates your previous observation. Nuts, raisins, figs; a whole pantheon of tasteful phantoms weave their way back and forth throughout your smoking. Delightful, indeed. From a tobacco perspective, the burley predominates but the virginias surface periodically and the entire medley is rounded out nicely with the perique.

I wanted to make it a part of my regular rotation but found that it leaves ones hands smelling rather like a cigarette ashtray. SWMBO also noted that it had a lingering malodorous presence long after the bowl was finished. Still, the smoke itself may make these little drawbacks acceptable. I'll continue to dip into the tin from time to time; probably when the wife isn't around ;^)

Nojoqui Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nojoqui (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess being through a few cans of this, and about 12 pipes, I can write an OK review. I'll try to do my best. I am an old fan of the English tobaccos, and only in the past year or so have I been getting into the Virginia/Perique blends. I wasn't sure I would like a tobacco that had even a "delicate kiss of brandy". The first few bowls in a couple of Peterson Bulldogs affirmed that. Upon opening the can I smelled a strong overpowering GRAPE tin aroma. Not BRANDY, GRAPE! "What wino did Mr. Pease roll to get that crap he cased this stuff with?", I thought. Well, I did the pipe run with this stuff, and was amazed how well it smoked in a cute little Stanwell Bent Bulldog Rondo (191). Thanks smokingpipes.com!!! An amazing combo. I use this pipe exclusively for Barbary Coast. It lights well, has an interesting top note, and the stuff actually does have a "delicate kiss of brandy" taste. Can't say which brandy though. Luckily? Certainly not V.S.O.P. Cognac, that's for sure. Anyway, about half bowl I get a delicious and subtle taste of peach. Hope it isn't peach brandy! But, it's wonderful! The Perique comes in toward the bottom, when I can truly enjoy that great condiment, and finishes with a unusually mild combination of all of the three nuances I mentioned. I'll smoke this on occasion. It seems like a great smoke for a Summer's evening when you can sit outside and enjoy a calm sunset. It works equally well on a pleasant mid morning smoke. I may smoke this more often in the future. I do love that little Stanwell, and this Barbary Coast is looking like a winner for me. Time will tell.

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I should start out by saying I'm not a big burly fan. Normally the smell of just plain burley doesn't appeal to me, but this stuff got a pretty high rating so I figured it deserved a try.

On first opening the tin I was greeted with the overwhelming smell of brandy. To me it didn't even smell like tobacco. Obviously I was going to have to dry this out a bit. (I tried a bowl before drying however and found it way too much like smoking brandy. Not particularly interesting.)

In the can this stuff looks a bit like hamster food or something due to it's cube cut. I find this consistancy appealing for some reason... perhaps because it's nice and uniform. This is the first cube-cut I've seen.

After allowing it to dry out for at least a day or so its true character started to emerge. "Nutty" and perhaps "walnutty" or pecan-like are the main flavors I picked up. Theres a little brandy in there, which is probably where the whole "dried fruit" claim comes from. This doesn't appeal to me, since if I want brandy I'll go buy some and if I want dried fruit with my nuts I'll go get some trail mix. Though the aromatic component here is mild enough that its not completely in bad taste, to me its more of a nuisance than a plus. Luckily it mellows out considerably with a little drying.

The use of perique in this seems to be at about the level I can appreciate. Much more than this and it starts to bug me, but the way its used here I figure that its probably contributing the walnut/peacon-ness of the flavor.

Aside from the brandy, I feel like this is a pretty high quality mix of tobacco, but I'm not an "all day" smoker and I have a hard time appreciating anything this mild. Also the chief flavor component (nuttiness) isn't one that appeals to me that much. I tend to like latakia and virginia blends alot more.

Maybe one day I'll try this again if my tastes change, but until then I won't be buying any more. I would recommend giving it a try if the description sounds appealing to you because it seems to be pretty accurate and the quality is obviously good.

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Barbary Coast is, to me, what a Burley blend should be. The burley tobacco is the primary flavor component, and the Virginia and Perique tobaccos simply round out the flavor and make up for any shortcomings. The brandy casing is more evident in the tin than in the smoke, and serves mostly to turn burley's cigar/cigarette-ish room note into a more positive profile.

The cut is rather different from most tobaccos - the burley has been pressed and cut into 1/8" cubes. This loads very easily into any pipe, and smokes almost like a roughly-rubbed flake. One must take care not to pack this tobacco too firmly, otherwise it will smoke horribly wet. A light touch is all that is needed.

The tin aroma is slightly fruity, with the smell of brandy fairly predominant. Once packed and lit, the drawn smoke has a nutty base (from the burley) with fruity highlights (from the VA and Perique). The bowl smoke has a burnt-nut, espresso-like aroma that is rather pleasant.

I will attest to this tobacco's cake-building potential. It does burn well, however, so long as it is not too tightly packed. This blend also loves big bowls. I load it into a big Mastro de Paja and contentedly puff away for two hours. If not smoked too quickly or over-filled in the bowl, Barbary Coast will smoke right down to the heel and leave a fine grey/white ash.

I highly recommend this blend to anyone who likes burley.

Govangogh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Govangogh (6)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Extra Full Overwhelming

This Is Haddo's younger Burley brother and one thing that comes to mind when thinking of this tobacco is extreme qualty in blending technique. If you want to get compliments on how your pipe smells this is the tobacco to be smoking. Never before have I tasted a Burley based tobacco that has tasted so nice to the bottom of the the bowl. The way this blend is described on the tin makes you almost want to eat it and the label tells no lies. Even people that don't care for the taste of Burley will enjoy this. It is a cube cut that is moist but burns very well and does not smoke wet in a pipe. My only problem with this blend is that the tin is not big enough and I go through it too quickly. I have enjoyed this tobacco from the top to the bottom of every bowl, every time with zero tongue bite. Highly Recommended. Arnold Smith

sal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sal (3)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Opening the tin, the Burley and Brandy are evident. The tobacco is dark, moist, and cube cut. Drop-filled the pipe to the rim, pressed slightly and the tobacco didn't tamp down as much as a typical ribbon cut blend. I tamped slightly, filled again, tamped a little more and lit. The initial flavors evident on the first puff are the Burley and Perique. Very pleasant and full-bodied smoke. After the relight, a hint a brandy and a toasty sweetness. The room begins to fill with an almost caramel-like aroma, and volumes of creamy smoke. Once the tobacco hits the zone, a myriad of other flavors; nutty, chocolaty, and rich. Like so many other GLP blends, the flavor is complex and changes as the tobacco burns. The bottom third of the bowl was a little difficult to tamp down, but it did burn out to a mottled grey and white, grainy ash. This tobacco lends a superb smoking experience with no bite and provides a generous helping of flavor without bitterness or "goop".

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

This is one of those blends that I really wanted to like, but it did'nt happen for me. The cubed Burley and red Virginia is simply gorgeous to look at, combined with the Brandy and Perique there is a wonderful aroma wafting from the tin, it really seems that your in for a treat. My tobacconist warned me to gravity load the pipe and tamp very lightly through the smoke. So I loaded up my Peterson 309 and with great anticipation I fired it up, and fired it up, and then I fired it up, and once more I fired it up. Notice a pattern, very difficult to get it started. Once started it was also very difficult to maintain a burn. As for the taste, anticipation turned into disappointment. I got no sweetness from the Virginia's nor the Brandy. I did get some stale nuttyness from the Burley, but who wants that. My tin is almost gone and not much has changed. I'm going to let the last couple loads I have left dry out to crispy and give it a try. If that helps I'll let you know.

gillywalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gillywalker (5)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I'm a fairly new pipe smoker and for the past year I've fallen in love with burley blends and I'm searching for something that has a decent aroma because most of them smell like either cigars or cigarettes. This has a wonderful brandy/figgy/dried fruit-like aroma in the tin that continues while smoking It was difficult to get lit but once it started it was a nice slow burn. I don't think I let my first tin dry out enough because it really left a goopy coating in my bowl. All other tins have been perfect.

I've concluded that following all the burley blends I've tried the past year coming back to this stuff has me saying why did I ever stray? The taste and aroma are so good. This is one of the few tobaccos I've smoked where it actually tastes as good as it smells in the tin. I just bought 16oz of it and this stuff is my go to all time favorite. Thank you Mr. Pease!

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Outstanding burley mixture, nicely complemented by Virginias. The touch of Perique is just that, it never plays a major part on this symphony.

I love the brandy topping, which complements a steady taste of nuts, plums and cocoa. Despite the moderate flavoring, there is never a hint of tongue bite. Delicious.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I find this blend very tasty and a very nice blend. When I opened the can, I was presented with a mostly cube cut mixed color blend that had a sweet Walnut like aroma. It was a good moisture level, easy packing blend that was a little stubborn about lighting, but after it was lit it burned quite well. It did require a few relights but not to where it was irritating. I did not have to puff constantly to keep it lit.

It has a very tangy flavor, not overly sweet but the perique comes out at the start with it's nice spice and as I smoked it down, it lost some of the tang and the dark chocolate note picked up. It burns dry and all the way down leaving a mixed grey dottle.

I find this to be a nice pleasurable low smoke blend. I cannot give it a fourth star as it does not satisfy my "N" cravings and it again had to be relit often. But it's a very good aromatic and I will have no problem smoking the rest of the tin. Not one that I feel I have to keep around however.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

My new favorite aromatic. Aroma from the pouch is thankfully much stronger than the taste. This is some wonderfully powerful aromatic stuff in the pouch. I think you could O.D. from inhaling too long, or at least do some enjoyable damage.

First couple of bowls were a little too damp - still great. Aired correctly and it broke through. A little light strengthwise, but happy tobaccy.

Nuts, fruit and tobacco all the way through the bowl. You've got to work it hard to bite. I never even bothered to ask what anyone thought about the aroma, Seems great to me.

I'll continue to to sample because I need to, but 'Barbary Coast' and 'Squadron Leader' are now my go to tobaccos.

Counselor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Counselor (10)

This is a keeper. The burley is top-notch, the Virginias provide a pleasant sweetness, and the musty/fruity perique pokes its head out every now and then. I can smell the brandy in the tin aroma, but don't really taste it in the smoke. My wife loves the aroma, I love the satisfaction--what's not to love. Also, for those who tend to puff a bit too frequently, as I do--this has not bitten me yet.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

Grossly unAmerican.

It does NOT provide immediate gratification. It DOES require patience. It is NOT easy-burning.

Whatever. Even though I think this is one of the weaker Pease blends, it is still gratifying in an old-fashioned, wait-till-you're-married kind of way, What ticks me off is that Pease keeps making these fabulous tobacco blends that will absolutely outlive me. I want to smoke at least one fully evolved Pease blend before I die.

Hey, Greg, howsabout a smoke now Burley? Well?

Oh yeah, lots of cube cut Burley, subtle aromas from the caramelized spectrum. It's a lovely smoke during those brief intervals between lights. Wear thick socks and bring a few extra lighters.

Ghosthunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghosthunter (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I picked up two old cans that my tobacconist had in the back of the shelf. They "were" about two or three years old. They tasted exactly like the label read. "Barbary Coast is delightfully satisfying, with hints of black walnut, dark chocolate, and dried fruits." That is rare. A lot of moisture, which I like because, you can dry a tobacco out easier than moistening. I ordered a 1lb can and received it today...I don't think that I can wait a couple of years. If the new stuff is even close, i'll order some to cellar...will advise...

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

* Note: My following original review was done in April of 2002: "The problem with my tin is that Mr. Pease must have released it before it had a chance to properly age. I enjoyed the cut, the smell in the tin and at the match, and the flavor. The problem was it smoked too fresh. Like many blends that have not been given time to age properly, BC was harsh, bit like the devil and overwhelmed the palate. The blend did taste good though, so, I bought five more tins, stuck 'em in my cellar and will try again in a few years..."

* January 7, 2009: I popped a tin last night of some 2002 vintage BC. Wow, what a smoke! I do not normally expect Burley to age much, but the seven years of melding has turned this tobacco into something sublime. Mellow, smooth, easy to pack and light and cool burning with none of the bite I experienced with my fresh tin of BC that I reviewed here 7 years ago.... Greg Pease loves to concoct blends that age well and he hit a home run with this Burley/Virginia/Brandy blend.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco, when puffed very slowly and packed in the right way (gravity dropping), is a real work of blending art. I taste chocolate, nuts, figs...it's all in there. The 'kiss of brandy' is very nice, together with the perique it gives this blend exactly the 'bite' which I seem to like.

scottf345 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottf345 (10)

This one of the few tobaccos that Pease blends that I think everyone should like. It's an aromatic but only slightly so and without the sickening sweet cloying business that characterizes most aromatics.

This smokes cool and, for me at least burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl. You can really chomp down on this blend. I find myself smoking like a fiend when this is in my pipe.

After about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bowl you the incredible smokiness and the burly flavors. It doesn't ever get bitter.

As a side note I somtimes sprinkle a little of this with a straight vaper for a change up (usually 2150 or sometimes H.H. mature that I tossed some perique in). That tastes awsome and I of course recomend it highly.

Thedarklord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thedarklord (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am a big fan of GLP blends so it is hard for me to write this review. Let me also preface this by stating that I am not a big burley fan...

That being said, this tobacco looks and smells great. As the previous reviews have so elegantly stated, this tobacco has a strong brandy casing and appears as a brown sugar chunk.

So far, so good, but this blend quickly disappoints in the bowl. Hard to light. Lot's of smoke. Mild, disappointing taste. Dare I say it's just a lot of hot air? I know burley doesn't age well, but I put some in the cellar to age anyway. Let's see of she changes for the better.

I really tried to make myself like this blend, but if you are looking for a good Burley smoke, this is not it. Try C&D's Pegasus instead.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a fan of both burley and perique, its no surprise that this blend hit the spot for me. The tin aroma is strongly alcoholic and fruity like a plum pudding. The initial flavor is similar to the tin note, but also has a pleasant sharpness (perhaps brightness is a better word) that comes from either the small amount of VA in the mix, or maybe from the perique. The sensation is similar to the effervescence in sparkling water; very interesting, but it would be distracting if it was stronger. The topping fades after about 1/4 bowl, but the perique picks up at about the same time and they compliment each other very well. The topping sweetness also fades smoothly into the VA sweetness, which is magical. They don't call GLP the Dark Lord for nothing. My only complaint, a pretty minor one, is that when the tobacco is dry enough to smoke well (much dryer than packaged) the cubes start to come apart and the little bits tend to block the pipe's airway. It would be fixable with a pipe cleaner, but my favorite pipe has a stem that is just a bit longer than a standard pipe cleaner. It will be a while before I can get another tin of BC, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)

I really love a high quality Burley and boy does this blend have it! But not content to leave it alone, there are the fine flavors of the VA and Perique to really add something special to the blend. The topping of brandy is brilliant and really brings the flavors home. A first class smoke in all respects except one: It just doesn't burn well.

There, I said it. I can't get it to smoke well without 20 matches at least... I tried the drying and all, but it still won't stay lit.

For the flavor and complexity when lit, this is a superior tobacco, but the sheer difficulty of smoking it just takes something away for me. But I think every Burley lover should try it.

Accompaniment: Debussy's String Quartet.

AnalogMoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AnalogMoz (9)

Today I purchased a tin dated 07/01/03--I have never had this before, but I am interested in quality burleys as I tend to smoke Va and Va/Per and like to have some variety. This sure was it! The tin aroma is plum brandy. Visually rather uniform, likely due to aging. Moisture was perfect. I loaded a Savilelli dry system (sans filter) full-bent and lit with a Zippo pipe lighter. Interesting! The taste, even 2/3 through, was almost exact to the tin aroma. Room note was pleasing. I guess I'd say the scent and taste were as close a match as any I'd seen. Stayed lit like a champ and smoked VERY cool. Burned to white ash with little volume of leftovers. Enough strength to keep me from immediately wanting to load another pipe, (a habit I get in the smoking "mood"), but no tounge or mouth fatigue. The perique is balanced and shouldn't offend people who aren't crazy of condimental tobaccos. In summation: subtle, sweet, non-saccarine, mildly complex. 4 Stars or 4.5/5.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

Barbary Coast was my introduction to the GL Pease blends and it did not disappoint. I do agree with a lot of the others who have posted about how wet this stuff is straight out of the tin. I poured the whole tin out on some paper towels and dried it overnight. Now it is perfect.

The tin aroma is fairly strong when you first open it but it disappates over time. The flavoring is just right. It's enough to give you a sense of brandy but in no way is it overpowering.

This burned relatively cool despite the brandy flavoring. I really enjoyed this one and will buy more in the future.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)

This tobac is very similar to Pennington Gap, only has brandy instead of bourbon. The tin aroma is very nice, however a little overly moist. It requires some drying out, but don't over do it or the ethanol evaporates out. The taste of virginia and burley wax and wane throughout the smoke, with the constant pepper spice of the perique in the background. Room note is pleasant. The only problem I had with it is the moisture content; it will gurgle towards the bottom 1/3 of the bowl, requiring pipe cleaner and it leaves small amount of goopy dottle. However, during the top 2/3 of the bowl it burns very readily with a white ash. Average amount of nicotine, will not cause dizziness or nausea.

3 stars out of 4.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Because Burley is naturally low in sugar it can absorb added sugars, casings, and flavors. You can tell when Burley has been heavily cased by it being hard and sticky to the fingers. The down side to all the artifical goop is tongue bite and burn.

Barbary Coast on the other hand is soft to the touch. It did not stick to my fingers and rewarded me with nutty flavors and no tongue bite. Barbary Coast is slow burning, requiring some matches, but such is the nature of a cube cut Burley. In this case it is well worth the effort, for this is the finest cube cut I have ever smoked.

Upon cracking the tin there is a top note of brandy. The alcohol is evident to the nose; I like this since it is also a mark of quality. The Virginia tobaccos and Perique provide for a subtle sweetness and plum flavoring. However it is subtle, never overwhelming the Burley. I smoked this mixture in a Canadian pot, a favorite for cube cut Burley in the Fall. Couple this with the World Series, a beer, and life is good!

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This one is all the label promises, chocolate, walnuts, its most certainly a great smoke.Highest recommendation. Is hard to light for the impatient.

To Smoke: It is cubed cut into fine packed nuggets already, drop in pipe. Do not pack. fill to slightly above top level 3-4 MM at most. Press with ball of thumb to top level. Light, Relight and light. once the top is nicely toasted the rest always burns for me. the 'frank' method will not work. Typical -3- pack seems to make the nuggets form into a brick and is just not neccesary.

Ps. Occasionally the nuggets get hot and 'crack' and 'snap' a nice effect!! Buy many small cans as the flavor dries out with the leaf, also i wont dry it out to make it burn better- its not worth it.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I was actually shocked that I liked this blend so much. There are 86 reviews prior to this one so I will give only some observations I feel might be helpful. This is very similar in flavor to Haddo's Delight.It has that same strange complexity to it. The Perique is quite noticeable and so is the BRANDY top dressing. This really is Pennington Gap "All Grown Up". Not as Sweet, and much more of a natural aromatic. This is my most important observation concerning this blend: MIX THIS WITH MCCLELLAND'S BLENDING ORIENTAL AND YOU WILL HAVE AN EVEN BETTER BLEND IN MY OPINION. 1 third McC Blending Oriental and 2 thirds Barbary Coast and you will have a magnificent creation. Try it first on its own merits though. A solid 3 stars!

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am not "classified" as a burley smoker. However, Cumberland and Barbary Coast are two great offerings from GLP. Barbary Coast is a cube cut burley which I would classify as a natural aromatic. Please, don't get me wrong, this is not an aromatic in the sweet cased sticky sense; it's subtle and great for a change of pace from my normal VaPers. The liquor top note is nice and the burley has a nice refined smoothness to it. Every now and then, there is a detectable pleasant "pepper" flavor which I attribute to the virginias interacting with the remainder. Great change of pace tobacco.

aj

Patriot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patriot (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow, "ditto" to the previous reviewers who enjoy Barbary Coast. I totally agree with the concept of this blend as an "all-day smoke"--although difficult to keep lit initially, once going, it lasts a good while. Another awesome "Pease" of genius!

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Yes,keeping Barbary Coast lit is an issue, I thought it was me and my hap-hazard packing until I read everyone elses posts.

But, I recommend you forgive Barbary Coast this one indiscetion and try. Best Burley Blend I've ever had. Crack open a tin in public and people come over when they catch a whiff of it. One lady asked me if it had raisins in it! So room note is good before and after lighting.

There are lots of great flavor and scents when smoking. I've had about 4 bowls spread out in the last few weeks and every experience has been good regardless of the chore of relighting.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The ONLY thing which keeps me from giving this blend four stars is the fact that I don't usually care for burley blends and, so, don't feel justified in bestowing such an honour on Barbary Coast.

However, this has to be the best burley I've ever experienced. Pease's reputation as a master blender of fine tobaccos is by no means compromised by this mixture of exquisite burleys, sweet virginias, and delicately spicy perique. The burleys provide a hearty, meaty base upon which the virginias and perique do a well-orchestrated tango. The flavour is mild, yet pleasantly noticeable, and the room note is not at all objectionable.

This is also the only burley that I enjoy more in a briar or meer. Trying it in a corncob is, in my opinion, like drinking a fine wine from a styrofoam cup.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Fruity, spicy and with a hint of Perique's tang. This is a wonderfully complex, slow burning Burley with a tin aroma that is worth the price alone. By all means, compare it to the very similar Pennington Gap which is a little fuller and sweeter.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)

WALNUT SHELLS,BRANDY,CHOCOLATE

Damn, I was just about to quit smoking-

This is FANTASTIC. I am so often disapointed. This taste of Mild Tobacco, Smooth, Easy- and the predominant taste when not concentrating is smoked walnuts. Brandy is present in and out. The tin smells of Booze -big time- but the flavors meld well and if you have the time to concentrate, FOR ONCE, all the manufacturers promises are true. (per label)The perique is not present, but is NOT missed! Three stars, as it is NOT a daily smoke- I am not a tender one- but it gave me a sore throat if used all day and jades your tounge fast losing a lot of flavors..

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the first examples of Burley I ever tried. Like no other you will try.....Pennington Gaps is similar.... The brandy favoring is very noticable to the nose, but slight to the taste. Nice nutty undertones and a nice sweet taste- Though other may disagree with the sweet. Maybe my individual tastes. If this is one of your first burlies, it will spoil you. If you cut your teeth on Haunted Bookshop- There is NO similarity... This is one of my top 5.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (27)

Great blend, very good cube cut burley and with the right virginia and perique amount, slow burning with a nice taste and a sweet liquor flavor, is a very sociable tobacco. This is one of my favorites and probably one of the best burley blend. Sometimes overheat the bowl. Thank Mr. Gregory L. Pease! Luis Barra

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

I love the smell and look and feel of this tobacco. Tried this about four years ago and always found it intriguing compared to my other tobaccos at the time. The new wider tin is a plus. I would rate this three and one half stars, just a notch lower than Cairo, though they are two widely different blends. A wonderful conbination of spicey, sweet and rich. Definately a higher moisture level than I find in other Pease blends, so I let this sit for about ten before filling the bowl.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (96)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I have to ration this to myself so I try other blends. Today BC came up in the rotation and it is a good day indeed. Love it. Don't know if I'd go to bed with it like a previous reviewer; I have other options even sweeter ;) This blend does seem quite sweet and that's fine with me. My next purchase will be bulk.

I do have to dry off the brandy before this is smokable. My tin is sticky and ketchupy, but presmoke characteristics don't matter as much as the subsequent hour.

I was surprised to learn about the perique. Although I feel it, the taste I associate with it isn't there. Pass the Pease, please.

Tom Bruce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bruce (19)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Is there a writer anywhere who can write about perique tobacco without mentioning that it is from a small section of Louisiana noted also for Tobasco Sauce? This blend lists perique as one of its minor ingredients, but the taste indicates otherwise. The first puffs after lighting sends a spicy hotness to the tounge not unlike Tobasco (no, it's not from puffing too quickly). As the smoke continues, this hotness diminishes, or maybe my tongue has gotten use to the spice. By the last third of the smoke, it has mellowed out altogether and I get a delightful dried fruit-raisiny flavor that carries through to the end. I bought a tin of this, took off the seal, and let it dry under the loose-fitting plastic cap, which seems to be a Pease trademark. Then I smoked almost all of it before writing this review, and the experience remains consistent bowl after bowl. It certainly is not a staid smoke by any means. It has all the desired qualities in a tobacco I like: burns with no relights, only tamping; ends with a nice white ash and no dottle or moisture in the pipe; doesn't leave it's own flavor in the pipe so no dedication is needed; lots of solid, moist smoke to fill the mouth with flavor. If the room note was a little better, I would give it four stars. But, I will return to this Burley from time to time.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)

Wow! I am a big fan of English/Latakia blends. I usually find burley blends or aromatic blends far too thin tasting.

Barbary Coast was a real surprise. Very nice tobacco taste with plenty of body. Nutty flavor with just a slight bit of sweetness. The Perique adds a little zip to keep it interesting and adds balance to the sweetness. Room aroma is quite pleasant.

The tin aroma is wonderfully sweet/tangy. The cut is cubed with bits of flake. Seems a bit moist at first but actually burns quite well to a nice clean ash.

Fabulous tobacco. Barbary Coast really changed my attituted towards Burley and non-Latakia blends. Excellent.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

What hasn't been said about Barbary Coast? What words could do this blend justice? If I could only have one tobacco from now on, this would be it.

From the kiss of brandy at first light to the finishing Perique flourish, this blend just never slows down. A variety of flavors dance across the palate, sometimes alone, sometimes combining to create a flavor rainbow that has to be tasted to be believed. Always cool, never exactly teh same twice. You can't get bored with this one.

Gregory Pease is a virtuoso.

Bravo, Mr. Pease, Bravo

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the blend that taught me to love burley. It also is the blend that taught me to love perique. It was here I first experianced the "nose tickle" that perique provides and I must say I have never quite found the same experiance with other perique blends. I discovered this blend as I was searching for a natural blend that would not be offensive to my wife and this one fit the bill. As a matter of fact she says that the room note is almost non-existant. My only fear is that one day the supply of this wonderfull tobacco will run out. Thank you very much Mr. Pease!

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend gave me a whole new perspective on the quality that can come out of a burley blend! Normally I do not gravitate towards burley blends but I bought a few tins to try after a friend of mine raved about it. The burleys in this are of very high quality, round, smooth, nutty and rich! A delicous blend highly recomended for the person who has had bad burley experiences and wants to try a burley blend of exceptional quality.

Stormrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stormrider (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This stuff is AMBROSIA. I found the rum-raisin aroma in the tin, presumably from the brandy topping, to be way too much at first, reminiscent of an aromatic. The flavor was a bit too dark, as well as smoking too wet, but I removed it from the tin and kept it in a leather tobacco pouch for a couple of weeks, allowing it to dry out some. The improvement was vast and it turned into a perfect nutty, creamy, complex smoke with just enough sweetness that burned cool and smooth and absolutely delicious. Leaves a wonderful long creamy finish that rivals the best maduro cigars. I may occasionally mix it with an Edgeworth slice, some MacBaren Burley London Blend, or even a pinch of Latakia just for variety, but it's perfect by itself, and I will buy this one in bulk.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (23)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

P&T magazine reviewed this much better than I ever could, so I'll just add that I really like this blend and it has MUCH less of the harsh pepper taste that Haddo's Delight carries. It DOES get stronger as you get towards the bottom, but the flavors mature and grow in a swell of spicyness, mellow sweetness and creamy nuttiness.

This, along with British Woods, is going to be in heavy rotation in my tobacco choices.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tonight I was looking for something different to put in the ol' briar. I've been smoking VA flakes and burley for a couple of weeks straight and I was bored. Well, I filled my pipe with Barbary Coast and I'm in heaven.

It's funny, I don't really consider BC a burley blend, or for that matter, a VA blend. It's one of those blends, that for me, defies categorization. The burley, VA, and perique meld together in perfect synergy; truly one of the great blends of our time. Highly recommended....

Every once in a while, I like to smoke straight burley. I do this to "clean the palate" as some might say. When I was referred to this blend, I was very excited to give it spin. Well, it has given me a great ride! Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by a visual as well as an aromatic feast. The burley cubes reveal a high quality of pressing and cut, the virginia is cut medium and the odor is not just of brandy, but of high quality of tobacco. I left the tin open for about 5 mins. before packing my pipe, which was very easy. Upon first light, the brandy sings loudly but settles into a nutty, sweet ride all the way down the bowl. I especially appreciate the way Pease's blends marry well so that the different tobacs enhance each other rather than fight for "prominence" like in some others. My final answer is this: a good medium strength tobac with a good nutty flavor with enough complexity to stand on its own. It is smooth and could be an all day blend. My personal favorites are Latakia and Balkan blends, but this is a good alternative for those days you want something "different". Last note: If there is Perique in this, I could not detect it , which my allergy to it says "Thank You"

dgifford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dgifford (8)

As a recovering Cig smoker and one who smokes almost nothing but english blends, I decided to try this as a "change of pace".

I ploughed through my 2 ounce tin using a fresh cob. I also tried it in several other briars as well as cobs (all my others were pretty much english only since that is all I smoked).

I love this stuff! I wake up with Dunhill London every day, and go to bed with it every night.

All day in between, this is the magic. Most days, a smoke is about a 5-10 minute drill between meetings (down 12 floors, out front, light up, hammersmoke and back up again).

I deeply enjoy the play of flavors, the mildness and the lack of burley bite. This is especially wonderful in a pipe that has a good cake from latakia use.

I have a pound inbound and I need it now!

Thank you Mr. Pease.

Dislike Aromatics? Try this, you WILL be glad you did.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Compare this mixture to Mac Baren's NAVY FLAKE, and notice the difference between a burley cliché (Mac) and truly creative blending.

Top-quality burley is rarer than one would think. Having secured some, G. L. is not content just to add some sweetener plus some Virginia for finish. He lets the peanutty, smooth burley set the tone, truly interacting with the Virginia. The result is delicately subdued at a very civilised level. There is no blandness, and no burley hollowness, though the general impression is predominantly burley. The touch of périque adds zest, within the range of the blend's personality. People who have trouble with périque should experience its use here.

BARBARY COAST?isn't it a neat name??is a notable contribution to the modern use of burley, and an absolute must for the burley lover.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I usually smoke four bowls of any tobacco before I decide for sure whether I like it or not. This only took two.

This is one of the best tobaccos I have ever smoked. Cube-cut Burley, Virginia, and a hint of Perique. Packs very easily, but it takes just a little longer to light than ribbon, presumably because of the desity of the cube. The taste is actually sweetly mild, with just enough Perique to keep any smoker interested. I did find that the Perique was noticibly stronger at the second half of the bowl with a bit of "pepper". Also, there is a bit of gurgle just before it goes out, signaling a time to tamp and relight, so you may want to keep some cleaners nearby.

I noticed absolutely no bite at all, but I think that if stoked, it could.

I think all smokers, English and aromatics alike, will absolutely love this mix.

wayno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wayno (5)

When you open the bag on the 8 oz you are greeted with a nice brandy smell. The tobacco is a little moist and I find that I have to dry it out to get it to behave. You must be real careful packing it, as a matter of fact the best way I have found is to fill your bowl and a light tamp then maybe a little more. Tamp too hard and your going to feel like your sucking on a mickey d shake. The ash I find become brittle and crunchy that I dont like at all. You cant just pack it and lite it and smoke it. You have to fiddle all the time. Now that said, once you get the hang of packing etc. it is a great smoke, smoke is full and peppery but not too much, when you get to mid bowl the smoke kicks in and when that happens your in heaven, and of course not too much nicotene, just enough. No burnt tongue either which will always put it hight on my list. I will always keep this on hand and see what changes with age.

youdaman10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
youdaman10 (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I feel little can be offered about this great blend that has not already been mentioned. Let me add MHO. I previously rated Pembroke at 4 stars. Both Barbary Coast and Pembroke have a brandy casing. I try to resist giving the highest ratings to a particular tobacco to leave room for a truly great blend that occassionally comes along. THIS IS THAT BLEND. Much more appealing to my tastes than Pembroke. I only smoke a few bowls a week as I'm forced to smoke outside. I found myself so completely satisfied with this blend that it occassionally crossed my mind all the next day. Could not wait to get back into the tin. I have updated my pembroke rating with a downgrade. This blend will always be kept handy.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Encouraged by the excellent, and at times almost poetic reviews on G.L. Pease?s blends, I order a couple of tins from Cupojoes, New York (thanks Eric!). I don?t think there is much to add to what the previous reviewers have so eloquently expressed. This is an excellent, savoury blend. It is rich, spicy and diverse, using the various elements it is composed of with great skill and care. I have smoked at least five bowls of Barbary Coast and I will leave the rest of the tin to rest for a couple of months (I don?t believe the contents of a vacuum sealed tin will change much unless it is opened and allowed to ?breath? some oxygen, just like a good wine should). I have really enjoyed this tobacco, yet I wouldn?t think of it as an all day smoke. It is very smooth but it can be slightly overwhelming. The Burley used is great. In fact the flavour in the first half of the bowl reminded me very much of Larsen?s Kentucky Gold, but Barbary Coast has perhaps more body and a greater range of flavours. Definitely a new experience, quite different from most American tobaccos I had previously tried. Highly recommended.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I first started smoking those overly flavoured aroumatics (vanilla, cherry, fruit types etc.) but have'nt we all. Eventually finding little or no satisfaction from my chosen hobby. Upon smoking Barbary Coast the reason why I smoke a pipe has returned.

I really like the packaging, the visual of the tobaccos are satisfying and it packs like a dream. The tin aroma "rum raisin" is pleasurable not only to me but even non-smokers "poor souls". There is enough strength to leave you satisfied yet not bruising or burdensome. The burley is excellant the virginia adds complexity and subtle sweetness the perique tickles the nose.

It burns to a pale white ash nice and dry a plus for any blend. You must smoke this slowly to appreciate the complexity within. A cool all day smoke but not a wimp. The description on the tin it hits it right on the nose. I recommend this to anyone.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm only going to briefly echo what so many of you have already so eloquently stated. I LIKE this blend!! I like the name, I like the flavors, I like the cut, I love the smell in the tin and in the room, and I like the small tin. This is all I've been smoking since I was finally able to get some. I couldn't figure what all the hype was about either, and I'm not going to swoon like teenage girls when the Beatles came to America, but this is REAL GOOD stuff and I will be getting more to cellar. Good Show Greg!

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

Barabary Coast has been another lesson for me in trying new tobaccos. When I first tried this blend from GLPease I thought "what was all the Hoopla", this is a fair tobacco, to be fair. Well, I put the tin away and about 4-5 months later I picked it up again to try. Wow.................what a difference, this stuff is great! If you read Sykes Wilfords review of this blend, I agree with it. Wonderful room notes and flavors, when finished I want to fill the bowl again and continue the experience. I wonder what it would be like after another 4-5 months but my tin will be empty by then, I assure you. However I will be ordereing a few more tins of this stuff. If you have tried it in the past and not impressed then age it 4-6 months and try it again. All GLPease blends have the date of blending on the bottom of the tin. 4 1/2 stars.

Strider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strider (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my regulars. The first time I smoked this I wasn't too sure about it, but after finishing a tin I was in love with it. I love the subtle sweetness the brandy brings to this blend. Along with the musty/earthy taste of the Virginias. This is the only Burley blend I have found so far that I like. As with any Pease blend make sure you have plenty of time and no distractions, so you can fully appreciate the complexities of this blend.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

The first time I opened a tin of this it really put me off . The reason for this is that this tobacco is very different . I was reluctant to smoke it . I'm glad I did though as it has become one of my staple tobaccos .My cellar is full of it . The first few puffs are very strange indeed , even now after smoking it a year . But , once it gets goiing the flavor smooths out and the bowl is fabulous . Leave all preconceptions at the door on this one , it's not like the average blend . Highly recommended .

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)

Well there's a first time for everything and this is the first G. L. Pease blend that I really didn't get along with. I blame the burley, or rather the cut of the burley.

There are very few burley mixtures that I can smoke but I feel that this had the potential to be one of them. It's a shame because the flavors in this mixture do work, and like many of Mr. Pease's quality blends there's excellent balance here, not only between the components comprising this mixture but also in the primary flavor & the subtleties that seem to want to develop down the bowl. (Emphasis on the word "seem"). Barbary Coast has a delightful semi-sweet musty mulled-wine flavor that's supported by a delicate perique spice note. The perique is used perfectly and as for the brandy topping, I think it's superbly done. While I wouldn't classify Barbary Coast as an aromatic, in my mind this is what a good aromatic tobacco should taste like.

So what's my problem then? Barbary Coast is mélange of stubborn cubed burley and shredded kindling-like VA and perique ribbons. The Cubed burley presented two problems for me. For one, it didn't want to stay lit and two, once I got it lit the more subtle flavors were rapidly whisked away, and usually within minutes my pipe was on the verge of overheating. Even using the most delicate gravity fill approach that I could possibly conjure up with minimal tamping and delicate puffs, this blend wanted to either burn like molten magma or not at all. The results were almost always the same - Hot pipe, subtleties gone and a crispy tongue at bowl's end.

I have one more tin of Barbary Coast in my cabinet. It's got a good amount of age on it, and it's much older than what I recently smoked. At some point I'll tempt fate, pop it open and see if the results are the same. Yes the flavor potential with this blend is that good.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This smelled wonderful in the tin, was quite wet though. Tried to smoke some moist and the smoke was wispy, but had a rich flavor. Tried it dried, to get some good smoke volume, and the flavor profile had changed dramatically, and not in a good way. A no win scenario baccy.

AdRock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AdRock (5)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

I get the feeling that my "every day" smoke is going to come from GL Pease. I've read his input on forums, and articles and interviews and I'm convinced that he "gets" us pipe enthusiast. I wanted to like this tobacco. This was not that tobacco. The initial tin note was really nice. Smelled like fruit or candy or maybe cordial cherries. Really good. It was at a nice state of dryness, too. I got this at the same time that I got a tin of Cairo which ended up being a little too dry for my tastes. It tastes very spicy. Perique is very present and the Virginias lay a nice bed of sweetness that push it forward. I brushed my teeth before bed but I still tasted it in the morning. The next day I smoked another bowl after work when I was walking my dog. The tin note had changed a bit. Maybe it was the influence of knowing what the taste would be like, but it smelled more like cherry cough syrup. It had a medicinal quality that I didn't catch the first time around. The taste didn't move much but by now I had identified the flavor I had been thinking of. Jalapenos! Fresh Jalapenos. Not necessarily in heat but in spiciness. That may sound weird but I don't think it's a bad thing. I would suspect many of us are fans of bold food flavors just like we enjoy bold tobacco or bold liquor. I decided not to smoke the rest of the tin right now. I poured the rest into a Ball jar, labelled it and stuck it in my cellar. I suspect the edges will round out a bit over time. Oh well. Off I go to smoke more tobaccos. By the way, the room note is pretty bad. It reminded me of burning brush or grass. When my gf got home a couple of hours later she said "if you're going to smoke pot, at least get get the good stuff".

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very fruity tin nose. Full flavored. I prefer Jacknife.

teniscat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teniscat (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Does not keep very well, burns fast like most cubed burlies i've found but it has a very nice taste. Packing does not solve the problem, loose or dense it doesn't matter for me. Burns a little hot, but if you can get through all those things it is an enjoyable smoke. GL may not be getting the quality burley he is used to getting it looks like to me.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)

For me, this is Haddo's Delight with burley. Same overripe bananas smell but milder. Pretty good but i think i'll stick with Haddo's.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wonder what kind of brandy this is? You could probably get drunk by huffing the tin note. Once alight, the warm nuttiness of the burley and warm sweetness of the brandy intermingle nicely. That in itself was enough for me. The perique shows up from time to time, but I'm not sure I ever did get a good taste of the virginia. This is really good stuff although I imagine it may not be everyone's taste. I'd recommend it to anyone though, beginners and old pro's alike, it's definitely worth a try.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

Amazing how many reviews this one has had, relative to other GL Pease blends. I agree with those who have said that it jumps right out at you at the beginning of the bowl, but tends to level off in a hurry. Not the most complex of belnds, but still a quality one. Nice spicy notes and the brandy is a nice touch. A bit too mild for me, but overall nice flavor and tin aroma, and I love the small cube cut presentation. But I've never been a big fan of burley based tobaccos, and I still like Haddo's Delight, Escudo and DRN better, as virginia/perique blends go.

HappyOne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HappyOne (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I tried hard to like this but, in the end, failed. I even emailed Gary for some tips on enjoying this blend. He suggested gravity filling the bowl and just ever so lightly settling it with my thumb. It certainly made my next bowls better but there was still this stinging, vinegar taste. Oh well, you can't like every blend.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

Positives: Topping is done right, great room note. Negatives: Hard to keep lit (even after 2 years in an opened tin), and the tobacco is cut way too small. Hard to keep it from clogging the pipe. I must have gotten the bottom-of-the batch dust. Had I received a lager cut tobacco in this tin, I may have given it 3 stars.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

Not my favourite blend.

The first two bowls I had to cut short; could not stand the taste. Too wet, too 'dark', just not pleasant to smoke overall.

Now that the tin's been open for about a month, some of the casing seems to have evaporated. It smokes better, but it still tastes like some cheap liquor, perhaps Baileys, without the sweetness. Burley, lots of Burley.

This blend will not make it into my rotation and the wife hates the room note, btw.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

When I first came upon this blend I noticed that it was rather moist in the tin and it didn't take long to realize that some drying time was needed. However, a few hours under a desk lamp proved not to be enough for my tastes on a normal day. I found that a very loose pack, kind of like just diggin the bowl into the tin and just tapping the bowl to let it settle lightly is perfect. It takes a light pretty well and having packed it loose stays lit nicely for me.

The flavor is sweet liquor in my opinion. It is said to be 'kissed' with brandy. I'll give the nod to a nice wet kiss here. In any case the burley seems to hold it well with the perique keeping things to a nutty crispness. I feel a pretty decent nicotine hit here too. A great combination of flavor, body and good strength without being a beast.

I like how it leaves a nice taste in my mouth after a bowl is finished or even after I set it down for a while. Due to filling the bowl like I described I think a medium to large bowl works very well with this blend. I'm rating it a good THREE stars today!

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This is the second tin of Barbary Coast that I have gone through over the last month, and I can now sit down to write a review. I really wanted to like this blend from G.L. Pease, but I can not bring myself to do so. I alternate between different Virginia- Perique blends like Escudo and McBarrens HH Acadian Perique, both of which are my favorite tobaccos. I also like Hado's a lot. Westminster, with its heavy Latakia presence, I do on the road, as the wife can't stand it. Back to the review: In Barbary Coast its like the potential is there, but was never fully realized. I give it an A for effort and intention, smell and feel, but B minus for execution and the actual smoking of the blend. Tin aroma is a bit much on the brandy casing, but reminds one of dried fruits, especially dried prunes to my nose. Consistency of the tobacco is marvelous, and very easy to pack, just use a light hand. The Burly is also very nicely sweet, although subtle. The Perique comes on strong past mid-bowl. Barbary Coast (non-aged) arrives much too moist to my liking, and will require multiple lightings, at least for the first third of the bowl. Poured the entire tin onto a plate and let it air out for two days, then it lights and keeps lit much easier. But something is missing here. The sweetness of the Virginias and Burly is never fully realized. Does one subtract from the other here? Don't know. Perique is just about right. All is all, I was not wowed by this blend and give it only 2.5 stars out out four. Sorry Greg!

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I absolutely love cube-cut tobacco, and I don't know why it's such a rarity in blends. However, this particular one will not find it's way into my regular rotation.

I do like that real earthy, dirt taste of these Burleys, and that's about what I have to say in the positive side. It has WAY too much casing, and you have to dry this tobacco out real good to make it burn well. But once you've managed to find the right dryness, it burns fantastic! But popping the lid is just not enough. I've tried that, came back to it after 2,3 and 4 weeks and it's still as moist as hell. I'd recommend spilling it all out on the table (or where ever), and let it dry there for a day or two.

Even though it is not an overwhelmingly strong bacco, the nicotine content is pretty high. If there is any Perique in this blend, it must have drowned somewhere in that brandy sauce.

While not in steady rotation, I do buy a tin of it every two years or so. Yes I do like it, but this is not a blend I crave for very often. But every once in a while, perhaps on a warm, dry summer night, I enjoy a pot of Barbary Coast along with a cold glass of greek white wine (Retsina).

Without the casing, this could've been a favourite of mine.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin moisture would make it hard to light and smoke. So please have patience with this blend. It packs and lights very easily after a nice airing.

This is a nice blend. Spicy, cool smoking and satisfaction guaranteed taste. Just because of the full brandy taste I can't smoke it daily. It is an ocassional tobacco for me. It tends to burn fast because of the fine cube cut. So it may satisfy the fast smokers. I personally prefer to smoke very slow.

I found this blend week on sweet Virginias. If you are searching for sweet Va this blend may not be suitable for you.

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

After reading the tin description, how could you resist? I would say, however, that the "kiss" of Brandy is more of a wet, tongue-down-the -throat kind of kiss.

What I believe could be billed as a more classy style of aromatic, Barbary Coast just doesn't cut it for me. It consists of extremely damp, curled cube cut that reminds of gunpowder green tea. Each fleck has a rolled quality to it that insures the only way to load is by gravity fill. I tried drying it on a side board for 3 days and it still smoked so hot that any flavor created from the very fine tobaccos used by GL Pease is rendered moot.

Toasting in the oven was recommended to me by a veteran smoker, but that's kind of where I draw the line. I don't want to involve any additional labor on my behalf after making a purchase other than perhaps a little delayed gratification if necessary. If I have to bring an oven in to it, I'll pass. After finishing a tin I can say that I had exactly one rewarding bowl. That came after deciding to store it with the tin lid cracked for several weeks. I think if you love burley with a generous helping of perique, something like OJK, and can handle a very hot smoking blend with a nice scent of brandy, you may have a winner here. For me, it's just to hot to handle, as they say. Lovely tin aroma by the way, but all things considered, not worth the effort to wrestle a fine experience out of it. Barbary Coast was a brilliant idea that suffers somewhat in execution.

2 of 5 stars. Maybe more if you don't mind a hot smoke or like to wear an apron while smoking.

bumbum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bumbum (20)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

How can anyone recommend this tobacco as "mild"? It's overwhelmingly strong, and I had to give up smoking it, unless it was mixed with some mild stuff. Bumbum.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

This had been on my radar for several months to try. I finally went to the cellar and popped the top on a tin. Wonderful tin aroma and a beautiful presentation of tobacco.

That is where compliments start to fall off. After the initial light, you will be teased with a flavor that would be sublime if it were about twice as powerful. You get the impression that a little more aggressive puffing will get you there. It will not.

The nicotine level here is low...do not look to this for satisfaction on that end of the equation. The smoke volume is low, the taste is low...you get the idea. It's too bad that the market has so many of these near misses IMHO. For this level of satisfaction, I can chw a stick of gum and keep a few bucks in my pocket.

This will be a midlevel aro for the aro loving crowd and will probably please the lighter weight smokers in our society. I for one will give away the remainder of the tins in my cellar to someone who can appreciate it. It breaks my heart to let it go, but as much as I like the flavor and aroma, I just can't justify smoking something that lacks critical strengths in multiple areas.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

A fine burley based blend, nutty with fruity notes. Easy to keep lit, cool smoking, no tongue bite. I'm an English/Balkan blend smoker but this is a nice change of pace smoke for me. Recommended.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lights well, burns well, after quite a bit of drying. The quality is there, as with all Pease blends. I just did not like the brandy flavoring. This is the only G.L. Pease blend, that I've tried, and do not highly recommend.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Good blend. I find that the blend is more of a strait forward (albeit high grade) burley when well lit and large amounts of smoke puffed. I also find that when it is smoked in a smoldering way the blend is much more deep- VAs and perique more noticable.

With the above being said, this has many nuances no mater what the pace smoked. This is quite evident when compared to other burleys (solani, wessex, peterson and edgeworth for eg- for which I like the whole bunch).

This blend proved to me burley is a wonderful tobacco and drove me to enjoy and appreciate the burley leaf.

Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Upon opening this tin I was greeted by a wonderful aroma of raisons, figs and plums. The tobacco itself looks equally as wonderful. With great anticipation, I packed my first bowl, which packs easily. That's where the joy began to lesson. I found the flavor to be flat. I continued to smoke through the tin and now that I have reached the end, it really remains a disappointment. Pease blends are designed with aging in mind so I have cellared three or four tins and see what happens next year.

CD Primal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CD Primal (6)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nearly finished with my first tin of this very nice blend, my first from the Pease line. I have several others that I am looking forward to after this initial positive experience. My tin was very young, a little over a month since packaging, so I cannot say what this would be like with some age on it. I can say that I like it very much as it is. It has a bright, fresh taste that I particularly like in the afternoon. The perique comes through most toward the end of the bowl, but it is pleasant throughout. This has a light topping of brandy that I cannot detect while smoking but is evident upon breaking the seal. After my first smoke was just a little more damp than I like, I left the lid off for a few hours to dry it out just slightly. Also, as some others have noted it can be a bit tough to get lit, and easy to over pack. However,a little drying, a light touch and few matches will reward with a gentle but "exuberant" smoke. I cannot speak to the roomnote as I have not had the opportunity to smoke it inside, but would think it would not be terrribly off putting. I certainly will buy more and look forward to trying this again with a few months or more of age on it.

Memsys Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Memsys (8)

This is good pipe tobacco, I like the tin note, the taste, and the room note. But it bites me every time I smoke it. I have tried the drying it out, charring it and letting it sit for 8 hours, I have smoked it as slowly as I can, I even tried the breathing technique someone mentioned to me (not a fan). Yet every single time it bites me.

One day as I was smoking my standby P.A. I had an idea. I mixed Barbary Coast with Prince Albert, a rough 3 to 1. Broke out my largest Wiley and struck up a match. The flavor is very close and it smokes better with less relights. Since P.A. is a mildly sweet burly they mix well and the room note is still pleasant.

Now I can finally enjoy Barbary Coast and I do daily. If you love Barbary Coast but your tongue hates it, you might want to give this a try.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wet Wet Wet...Tobacco almost perfect but its too moisture! Wait like 2 hour but same again...

Cube cut easy pack and lit...Brandy smells everywhere...Burley is perfect, taste some dried fruit and brandy....

I like this stuff...Want to keep my cellar 2-3 tins...

Mitch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitch (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I prefer English/Latakia blends, so if your a perique smoker, don't read this.

I thought the tobacco was good, just not for me. I don't like fruity flavors in my tobacco. I have had two different perique blends, and so far didn't like either of them. To me this tastes like a air freshener. I am more of a english style of guy anyway.

As for quality of tobacco, I thought it was great. Lights really easy, burns smooth. Great blend if you like Perique.

pipe pirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe pirate (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

It was kind of bitter and flat tasting and very difficult to keep lit.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: May 25, 2010

Appearance: BC is a beautiful tobacco in the tin. The rough cube cut is sprinkled with larger bits of leaf (the VA and PER), and the overall mixture is very dark and rich.

Aroma: A very interesting tin aroma that I find sour and chemically. There is a hint of ripe fruits but actual tobacco aroma is lacking.

Flavor: I hate to be so blunt, but I am hoping and praying that this stuff will improve with age or with drying. After several bowls right out of the tin, I can confidently say this is the worst Pease blend I've tried yet. As I've mentioned many times, I am not a burley fan, but the topping on this stuff spins it way off course for me. I do like Solani's ABF and a couple other Burley blends, but the flavors in BC have no redeeming qualities for me whatsoever.

Obviously you burley and aromatic fans may actually love this stuff. It's neither right nor wrong, it's just that for me, a fan of big English blends and pure Virginias, this stuff offers me absolutely nothing. The taste is sharp and “chemically”, the aftertaste is like cigarettes (Burley is, after all, a primary cigarette tobacco), and the topping is overboard.

Now, putting on my objectivist hat, the cut and presentation are beautiful, the tobacco is obviously some quality stuff, and the fact that I feel the same about this blend as a I do about other aros that get four stars tells me that many of you will really like it. I think it will appeal to those looking for a break from “tradition,” that is, traditionally-constructed categorical blends like “English,” “Virginia,” or “Vaper.”

Even though many of Greg's blends are literally desert-island smokes for me, nevertheless my wife (who recoiled with horror when she stuck her nose in the tin), and I concur that this blend should go swiftly and directly to Davy Jones' locker. (IMHO) (YMMV) (MNTS [map not to scale]).

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Tin: The brandy spirit is very evident, with something like a chocolate waft. Mottled dark chocolate color. Moist, a bit sticky, leaving residue on the fingers; when pressed together, the tobacco tends to stay clumped together. Tin date stamped on bottom: 031808, 18MAR2008.

Packing & Lighting: Care is taken not to pack too tightly. It is packed looosely, due to moisture. If packed with any firmness at all, BC doesn't draw or burn well. Burns fairly well with one match, leaving a small dottle. Requires a concentrated puffing effort to keep it lit.

Taste & Aroma: Similar to the tin aroma, BC is deep, a dark chocolate, and brandy spirits, taste and smell; though not sweet.

By the end of the tin, the brandy ethanol has wafted off and it is stale and slightly cigarish. But the bowl is left with a smoky walnut smell. The taste has become diminished.

Nicotine: Strong

Room Note: Smoky, roasted walnut

Overall: Not my type of blend but it's worth a try. If this were sold in a drugstore, smokers would wretch due to it having brandy spirits.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It's all been said....lovely blend, a great Burley. I find it has similar tastes and aroma to Momoyama, rich fruity brandy. My only critic is it not that strong, I've thrown in a touch of Old Joe Krantz (a strong American Burley) just to increase body and strength. I would call this blend a solid aromatic with rustic natural flavors. Top USA burley from a top blender...top marks.om

My tin is from 2002....ages superbly.

Lex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lex (3)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

In one word "Wonderful." A fantastic offering by Mr. Pease.

This is now my everyday tobacco of choice.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

In the tin the brandy aroma gave me a sinking feeling. It was pretty moist, but not sticky, so I grabbed a pipe. Gravity, more gravity, light thumbing. Lighting took awhile, but once toasted and tamped it burned very cool and stayed lit. I like a good burley after smoking vapers. Walnuts and dried fruit. Pretty darn consistent top to bottom. No gurgle whatsoever. For me it was a very, very pleasant experience. I thought with a little more nicotine this would be near perfection.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing Barbary Coast to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)

I am not a burley person but that is what this basically is so for what it is it is a decent smoke. The delicate kiss of brandy is a nice touch and makes the mouth water while reading and smelling the can...it promotes sensational aesthetics unfortunately for me the joy stops there. I found this blend hard to stay lit though I was successful a number of times in various bowls however inconsistent.

Once you can establish a good burn it delivers a smooth tangyness which was nice to know it wasn't the beginnings of the bite but rather a calculated brandy tangyness. This was the best part for me. Not more much to note here. Not my particular blend but on its own merits its decent. You will probably want to try this if enjoy burley blends because of the touch of brandy makes it a semi-aromatic yet not grotescly so.

Wish I could say more. I got a couple of cans to polish off no need to cellar,or maybe I should give Pipestud's advice a try...hum...In any event perhaps I can update at another time.

Quick_nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quick_nick (27)

it's a pleasant smoke but do temperamental sometimes and can be tough to fill and keep lit.

Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a good burley Aromatic with brandy and perique, smoking this on daily basis is a bit boring, but it is fine tobacco for now and then smoke. I would recommend Mac Baren Navy Flake before this one. also I find Mac Baren Golden Extra is more enjoyable.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I'll say up front that I'm a fan of most Va. blends. I have found several Burlys that I like quite a lot. This one has not hit "the spot" for me. The quality of tobacco is good, and the blend is OK, but somthing just does'nt click for me. I like it enough to have put a pound back. Hopefully it will marry/mellow with age. For now when I want a burly I'll reach for Stonehaven, or Aged Burley Flake. Rate for now

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I smoked this appealing stuff about three years ago. The only problem is that I couldn´t manage to pack and light it correctly. Ok, I´ll be more direct: this stuff is almost as hard to light as if your pipe was filled with sand. A friend said, in a Mr. Miyagi tone, that it requires patience, but rewards it accordingly afterwards. Since I don´t want to be Karate Pipe Kid, and knowing that my tantric skills (i.e. monastic patience) are not at hand, I gave the tin to the pious Master (who is the president of the pipe club I attend in Mexico City)... Every once in a while I asked him maliciously: have you finished the Barbary Coast? Or have you discovered the mystery that lies behind this hard-to-light mixture? Have you at least managed once to smoke more than half a puff of this without resorting to the lighter? He always smiled, but never answered... As old Oriental masters do in stupid tales, his eyes seemed to say: "Those were your three questions allowed".

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, let's be fair up front. Most Burley's seem blah to me. I tried real hard to LOVE this blend. I just kind of like it. The description made my mouth water! The smell in the can made my mouth water. I let it dry for 40 minutes because it was a bit moist for me. I filled the bowl of an older Kaywoodie that was broke in with Carter Hall and has had nothing else in it. I kept puffing for flavor. It didn't come. It stayed lit, heck, I puffed so fast I should have had a fire going! No gook in the bowl but it was gone. I figured awe heck, I just need to smoke a few bowls to get the taste going. Well, 2 cans went by and I was left empty feeling inside. I even woke up one night and thought, maybe it will taste good now. It's 3:00 in the morning and I'd like to smoke. I love the smell and I get a slight sweetness but no real flavor. I even just bought a 3rd can from a different supplier. I am trying to get this to work.........

petersonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
petersonsmoker (9)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I have a great deal of respect for Pease and his blends. Because of my experience with his big Balkan and English blends I wasn't shy about ordering an 8oz tin of Barbary Coast thinking it would be as excellent as the rest of the line-up.

However, I was incorrect. In fact, the tobacco was so bad I wonder if I received a defective batch. The tobacco was very moist and after drying it for hours to a reasonable RH I finally got this tobacco to burn. The only prominent taste was of pine - almost air freshener pine. I tried five more times with this tobacco and every time it burns poorly and smells of pine.

I have never given a bad review on this site preferring to only review blends I like but this blend was just so poor for its, or any , price point and for the Pease name that I wanted to warn others than this blend is not on the same level as Pease's other offerings. You are much better off buying a tub of Carter Hall than Barbary Coast.

Tim

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is a Burley, cut in pieces. It is a complicated mix. The unique spice of perique, gives a different dimension. A thin flavor of cognac gives to the tobacco, a very nice touch in the palate.

The Barbary Coast contains black timber of walnut tree, black chocolate and dry fruits. Unusual flavors for me.

A tobacco for the all day! It needs to get a bit dry, though ?.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)

I really, really want to like this but trying to hurts too much. The tobacco is inordinately moist and only dries slowly. It is hard to light and keep lit and goes out a lot. The flavors mentioned on the tin are all there but it burns like lye on wet skin. Too bad.

student Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
student (21)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm reminded of McClellans Cajun Black blends here, not by the taste but because you have a fairly constant battle keeping the weed lit. When lit, it has a nice taste and the brandy makes for a fairly nice room note(According to my wife). The burley is top notch as one should expect by the $$ amount, The virginia leaf also is top notch and the Perique flirts in and out, mostly out. Which is fine by me. A well blended tobacco which burley lovers must try. Aromatic smokers shouldn't mistake this due to the brandy infusion, its a good burley smoke primarily. If it wasn't such a labor intensive blend, I'd give it 3 stars but in all fairness to other burley blends that are as good or better, 2 stars is all it rates from me. I will not be buying any more.

daidunno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daidunno (9)

I think that most tobaccos are better kept a bit on the moist side in the tin and then dried prior to smoking, as they seem to hold the flavor better, so I don't like to complain about moisture, but this one needs to be almost exactly halfway between 'fresh out of the tin' and my definition of 'dry' to taste good and burn well. If it is a hair moist, it doesn't burn without a blowtorch and steams the tongue whereas if it's a touch too dry, it tastes OK to awful. That said, it can be very good to great when it is the right humidity and packed properly, although it does have a tendency to sort of sour towards the bottom of the bowl at times. I would give it 2.5 if possible, but rounded up because sometimes it is wonderful.

This is a nice quality blend, smells great in the bag, packs well, but the lighting part was very challenging...and keeping it lit...sheesh. Additionally, It was wispy and the volume of smoke was quite poor. This lacks the strength I like and I found the aftertaste to be typical of many cased tobaccos...it wasn't of tobacco, rather is was medicinal. As with many topped blends it has a nice aroma and room note. Not for me.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This, to me, is the least noteworthy of all the palate experiences that GLPease offers. I love their tobaccos (and am delighted to note that they now use tins which can accommodate fingers) in general, but this one is just, well, blah. Nondescript. All the other reviews are right, roughly. The one thing that stands out it that it's so wet that it's kind of hard to light so I suggest a meerschaum, a calabash, or a well-vented Peterson system -- something that wicks up or sops up moisture. That won't help you with getting it to light -- the best trick for that, is to pack it tight tight tight -- but it will take ADVANTAGE of the moisture rather than merely trying hard to circumvent it. Now why did they call it "Barbary" and not include Latakia?

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review of a GL Pease blend, and this is my favorite type of blend, so here goes:

The good: It smells and tastes very nice, the flavors are well balanced indeed.

The bad: It is tough to get lit, and it is considerably more costly than other blends that are easier to manage.

While I won't buy it again, I can't really say it is bad, and if you can master the technique of getting it, and keeping it lit,you may find a boon companion.

It's certainly worth a try.

tbone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tbone (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

If you can figure out how to get it to burn let me know. I love everything about this but it's basically unsmokable unless you hold a constant flame to it. Maybe you'll have better luck. Try Penington Gap for a similar smoke that's more user friendly.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Again, the customary Peasean belles lettres introduces you to a flat, unexciting cube cut burley that burns well and leaves a nice white ash. A friend who writes for this site proclaims ?Pennington Gap grown up?. It?s more like PG gone prodigal. It has a delicate tin aroma, as do all Peases, but that?s where the enchantment ends. I love C & D cube cut blends, especially the heavenly Crooner and the delightfully boozy PG. This is a disappointing variation with more elegant tinning and a bit of poetry. Hardly worth the extra cost and West Coast pretentiousness.

Two of five stars

Stocky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stocky (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Solid top shelf burley. Keeping it lit is no joke though. I pulled out an old root briar "tall" bowl for this one. I'd say only smoke it when you've got some time to tend. And I wont dry it out just to make it burn better, for I'm sure the lovely taste would suffer. Hey, some time's getting a campfire started is a challege. That doesn't take away from the experience. Every tobacco has it's "place"; with B.C. it's more of a "time". btw I've added a bit more Perique to my tin... personal preference.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

This is the best Burley based tobacco I have had so far. It smells wonderfully of Brandy in the tin and packs well. It smokes great and the slight flavor of Brandy continued through the bottom of the bowl.

This is the first high quality Burley blend I have tried and it won't be the last.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Rich, nutty, sweet -- it's a shame to come across a tobacco that comes within a razor's edge of being truly great but ends up falling short due to its burning characteristics. Alas, that's the place occupied by Barbary Coast. The burley, VAs and topping come together in perfect proportions, and the perique manages to just barely be noticeable (it's a perfect spice here). The flavor and aroma are superlative -- I really can't praise them highly enough. But (as other reviewers have pointed out) it's almost impossible to keep this lit. I've dried it out to the point where it's almost crunchy, and it still won't burn, regardless of how I pack it. I've taken to mixing it with Carter Hall or Prince Albert, which greatly dimishes the rich flavor but at least gives me something I can smoke. This was almost a home run, and I give Pease high marks for putting BC together. Unfortunately, I can't give three or four stars to a tobacco that's all but impossible to burn. I do have several ounces cellared (just to see what happens after a couple of years), so I expect to update this review at a later point.

UPDATE: OK -- I've smoked some aged Barbary Coast and was even less impressed. I seriously disliked the flavor this time around and the burning qualities haven't improved at all. I know, I know -- a lot of people love this stuff, and I'm still quite surprised that I didn't (I love burlies). For my money, I'm sticking with Pennington Gap, which is quite similar but I consider to be a four-star mixture. This is the only Pease blend I've ever given a single star to (I'm downgrading by one), as he is normally my favorite blender. YMMV, of course.

LSU Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSU Tiger (13)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first experience with Pease's blends, so I didn't know what to expect. After opening the tin, I at once thought of raisins and spice. The tobacco was, as another so aptly put it, "sticky chunks."

I packed a Peterson (Sherlock Holmes "Squire") and tried to light it. The key word is tried. (Pass the napalm, please...) After several attempts, I was pleasantly surprised at the flavor and the fact that it stayed lit. It seemed to have a semi-sharp taste, like a spiced, but tart cinnamon desert. WOW!!! Hello, Perique!!! Over the next few days, I tried it in a small hand made Dublin and a large Canadian, each time a bit more disappointed. Where was the zip? Had it evaporated with the goop? As it sits now, it's a diversionary blend that I probably won't buy again. I think in retrospect, that storing it in a tightly sealed container would help.

Theodoric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodoric (8)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I'm sorry, I know a lot of people love this and think everything Greg Pease makes is perfect, but this is one of the most boring and tasteless tobaccos I've ever had (especially considering the cost). I like straight-up burley (like MacBaren's London), so I'm aware that it's a very subtle tobacco. The flavor of this goes beyond "subtle," however, into "nonexistent."

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Something about topped, cube-cut burley blends just rubs me the wrong way. This is a stellar blend, by all means, and I've enjoyed it on occasion but compared to other GLP offerings like Haddo's or Cumberland, Barbary Coast tastes like high quality steam. Sorry folks, I just can't hang with y'all on this one. However, I could never suggest that anyone not at least try any particular one of Greg's blends so if you haven't tried it, do so, and see for yourself what all the hype is about. Maybe this blend will float your boat, but for me it's merely ballast on my already overloaded vessel.

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a must in burley tobaccos, the taste is a mix of dry fruits, chocolate, virginia.All these are mixed together throught a bowl. Not very easy to light (because of the cube cut) but a high quality tobacco, I don't think any pipe smoker could not appreciate this blend. Excellent!

Ebola Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ebola (10)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I haven't smoked much burly so I can't compare this to other burly blends. The burly and Va's are perfectly balanced with just about the right amount of perique to make it interesting. It smokes slowly and is silky smooth if not puffed vigorously. It is not really an aromatic and has a wonderful tobacco flavor. There is a little harshness near the bottom of the bowl but I recommend it highly.

Update: Having smoked this for some time now I no longer detect any harshness throughout the entire bowl! Perhaps the initial offering was a little young. THE BEST!!

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (53)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried every suggestion for enjoying this tobacco - ageing, drying out, various pipes, slow smoking, etc, but the verdict is always the same: It's awful! It starts out with an overwhelmingly strong, sour taste, and then gets even worse from there. I must say this is one of the worst tobaccos I've ever tried, and I do enjoy burley blends like Country Doctor, Nut Brown Burley, etc. I've disliked all the GL Pease blends I've tried, so there must be something about his blending that disagrees with me.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Argo directly to my South was right on with this stuff! To be honest, I initally hated this stuff so bad I wasn't even going to put my two cents in. It was exactly as he said, "Sticky chunks". I had tried this quite a few times and it always gooped up my pipes and gurggled and was basically a bad experience. I took his advice and let this sit out in a pie tin for a week and get BONE dry as he said and tried it that way. I have to admit that I was skeptical at first, but this made all the difference in the world! I initally found that the "kiss of brandy" to be way to much for my tastes and letting it air toned this down considerably. I quite enjoyed this blend after taking the advice of my fellow reviewer. Thank you and I concur completely with your findings!!

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I suspect this blend needs a little airing out before becoming a really good smoke. Very hard to light or keep lit as delivered. A very nice flavor but the moisture level leads to hard puffing and tongue-bite. Will update review after later encounters...

mythdoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mythdoc (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I really tried to like this tobacco, honest. I know many others do like it. But I never was able to raise enough flavor out of the blend to suit my taste. Undeniably, it is well-blended. It smells great in the tin. It burns quite well. It just leaves me flat. I ended up giving away the last half-ounce or so to my brother. I will go back to my Dark Strong Kentucky for now. Or maybe I will pop open this tin of Cumberland and see if that hits the spot.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

I have the deepest of respect and admiration for Greg Pease, whose dedication to his craft is nothing short of remarkable. Not being a latakia lover, except in the case of Revelation, I have sidestepped his Englishes and Balkans, but was intrigued enough by the description on the tin of Barbary Coast that I bought myself the 2 oz. tin while on vacation recently in Kansas City.

Call me underwhelmed. This is certainly high-grade Burley, and the perique, brandy, and Virginia complement it well. But where's the oomph? Where's the "wow" factor? This is just a mild, understated, very light aromatic--pleasant but not great, in my opinion. While I'll certainly finish the tin and get some pleasure out of doing so, I won't buy this blend again. It just didn't do it for me.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a perfectly tasty blend, and the unique cube-cut burley in the blend is very nice, but overall the blend never really did much for me. I may perhaps one day develop more of a taste for burley, and hope to go back to this one at that time and rediscover some of the finer points of this blend.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

I'm just not a Burley Guy, so I held off on smoking this blend for quite a while. Then I heard through the grapevine that it was remarkably bite-free and I thought, aha! just the thing for breaking in pipes. So I bought some. And it is, indeed, in spades, just the thing for breaking in pipes. It is PERFECT for breaking in pipes and for that reason alone I will always have some stashed close by. As I keep smoking this stuff, though, I just kept smoking it. By this I mean I stopped thinking of this blend as pipe break-in fuel and started thinking of it as (dare I say) a really nice Burley blend. This stuff is very mild, yet complex in a way that reminds of both Haddo's Delight and Cairo. Lots of layers of taste in this stuff if you pay attention. And it WON'T bite. It also smells good (my wife always notices when I smoke this and smiles fetchingly). This is a perfect low-maintenence tobacco that I suspect would smoke well in any kind of pipe. Great stuff. If it won me over, anyone should like it.

Update 10-04: As with Cairo, I just don't like the way this stuff ages, and so am downgrading my review.

thedigger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thedigger (17)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is an exceptionally well cured and clean burning blend. The Virginia and Burley mixture is outstanding; delicious with strength and body. Hints of fruity and nutty flavors jump out at your palate as if they were trying to surprise you. This is a well thought out and executed blend. I keep pounds of this around and it still dissappears too fast; it does burn pretty fast.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

A most excellent Burley blend with a touch of Brandy. This tobacco is so much better if you let it rest a year before smoking it. If fresh it can bite,and the flavoring hasn't mellowed down quite all the way yet. After a year give it a try,and the delicious burley will take you to fantasy land. This is probally my favorite blend that Pease makes.

phroney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
phroney (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I first read the reviews of those who loved BC I thought I found the holy grail of tobaccos. My tin arrived and with the anticipation of a pilgrim to the holy land I opened it, let it air until it was properly dry, packed a pipe and lit up. No big deal. I must admit that I love the tin aroma. I could sit and just smell it. The initial light was pleasant. I liked the casing but as I went futher down the bowl I became less and less impressed. In the end, I think there are better smokes. I smoked four bowls before reviewing.

Eric P.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, I just had to try this seeing as how everyone wrote such great reviews. I received a sample of this and packed a bowl right away in my Peterson Aran. A very strange cut. I had never seen this cut before and it packed much different than other blends. Lighting it was easy and keeping it lit was easy. A very smooth buring tobacco with a nice creamy smoke, although not nearly as much smoke as other blends, which can be a good thing. I puffed away trying to get it to bite and though I think you could if you tried hard enough, I had no problems. My wife said the smell wasnt bad (she is a hard woman to please) and was better than others because the smell wasnt as strong as others. I didnt catch all of the flavors I was looking for. I did notice the nutty, chocolate flavor. It was so nice to catch a different flavor in a tobacco. My favorate thing was that nasty aftertaste you get when finished smoking.......wasnt there. I realize I probably should have waited to try this blend, but I couldnt. I will get a couple of cans and put them away for a few months and try it again. This is definately something I want to smoke again.

UPDATE: After letting a tin sit for a few months and smoking it, I have to say I still stand by my earlier review. It is a nice tobacco, but I wouldn't push my way through a line to get it. It just didn't produce any Ooh's or Aah's. I liked it, but will probably wait to try it again.

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Without question, this is the best Burley blend I have smoked. I have tried a variety of Burleys for building cake on new pipes, and usually find them lacking character or depth. They're just sort of "there," but with nothing to commend them. They're the nerdy, under-developed, over-dressed wallflowers of the pipe tobacco world.

Barbary Coast, however, is another story. This is a Burley with all the flavor, character, and fullness you'd expect from a Pease tobacco. This is no wallflower, but rather is well rounded, voluptuous, and wholesome. If Burley's were like girls, this is the one you'd want to take home to Mama.

My only compaint with this tobacco, and the rest of the Pease line, is the cost. Pease makes unimpeachable tobaccos, top of the line, but I find the cost usually exceeds what I'm willing to spend. Otherwise I'd have given this the highest rating.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)

Another nice blend from the Pease line. Rich, full flavors with only a bit of a bite on the tongue. Good blend for burley lovers who want to soften the bite and still enjoy a nice full flavored smoke.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why this blend gets the raves it does. Don't get me wrong, I know everyone likes different things, but... I have heard BC recommended to people who ask for recommendations for aromatics (most definitely is NOT aromatic, despite the brandy topping).

The principal characteristic of BC, to me, is the harshness. Not really sharp, just strong and flat. By mid-bowl, my tongue has been desensitized by the nicotine, with some minor tongue-bite to boot. GLP's mastery in creating complex blends something that never ceases to amaze me, but I don't sense it here.

For now, I will stick with my Renaissance, Cairo and Mephisto; I hope I will become good friends with the as-yet untried Cumberland and Robusto; and I'll keep dipping my toe in the waters of Haddo's. But BC will go into the "non-Latakia" ball-top jar.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Burley blends are probably the only tobacco that I can't seem to appreciate a whole lot. They seem rather flat to me and at the same time too strong. After reading all the reviews however, I had to try this blend at least once. I was pleasantly surprised! This was certainly unique tobacco. Although still not something I would keep on hand it is certainly a step up from other burley lends that I have tried. The Perique adds a nice spice, and the brandy gives the blend a nice flavor. The virginias seemed to need some aging however, and I got a minor case of tongue bite even when I smoked it slow.

All in all a quality blend, just not something this boy needs.

P.S. My wife loves the smell!!!!!

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

I'll keep it short. This is the cake-buildingest pipeweed I have ever smoked. Just delicious to boot, at the tin and match. Flavour deepens down the bowl, ending up quite rich and spicy but not at all heavy. Smokes clean with no dottle, maybe a few charred cubes to tap out. Even if you don't care for it, I'd recommend keeping a tin on hand for breaking in new pipes. The cube cut packs easy, takes a good charring light, and well, it's just plain neato. A very unique and inimitable interpretation of the Burley/Va tradition, showcasing Pease's brilliance as a blender. Highly recommended.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Since this has already been reviewed extensively, I'll keep my comments brief.......Bravo.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

It figures that now that the temperatures have subsided in the NE, I find a good hot weather smoke. I'll stock some away and be ready for next year. Although I still dislike the dimensions of the Pease tin as related to packing ease, I now transfer to a pouch but this tends to dry the tobacco from the ideal moisture as received. Greg's tin description, as above, is most accurate and surely saves me some writing. However, I really appreciate this from a blender since it minimizes disappointments. I also thank those that reviewed before me and highly recommended this smoke. I enjoyed the even, cool burn and the sweet yet nutty predominant flavor. I missed the kiss from the brandy but realized the complexities revealed especially in different pipe shapes and brands. Even if mistreated, I couldn't get this one to bite. Although I wouldn't stray from my VA flakes as my steady diet, this blend is just ideal for a change of pace in the hot weather.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first reviewed BC I thought the blend was over rated. I have changed my opinion. With repeated smokes I now consider this to be a gem of a blend. It's a tasty easy smoke and makes a nice change from Virginias or English blends that I usually smoke. The blend is very smooth to sit back with and just take life easy and with a smile. Nicely cut, moistness just right, easy to light, stays lit, and good to the bottom of the bowl. Yes, it is a little sweet, but it is definatly a tobacco taste that can appeal to those who like aromatics as well to those purists who say they won't smoke anything but real tobacco. Another winner from Pease.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This was my first venture into the realm of G. L. Pease tobaccos. I must say that at the very least they come highly recommended. It was this high praise and the unique combination of ingredients that drew me in. As turkish tobaccos seem to disagree with me, I must search for my exotic blends among the Virginia/Perique/Latakia labels.

Barbary coast has the unusual cube cut that I like, but find that it has a tendency to plug up airholes in some pipes prematurely. The aroma is delightful in the tin, slightly remaniscent of Plumcake, but not as dark. It lights and burns well, with a light, fragrent room note.

The taste is largely burley, with the Virginias peaking through. The brandy topping does nothing but good.

This truly is a good all day smoke. It is not overbearing with any particular flavour. The burley behaves itself and does not burn hot. I smoke this on occasion.

lasix1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lasix1 (4)

Adding to the long list of fawning reviews of Greg Pease tobaccos is not my intention, but I can't help myself--this is a very fine tobacco. When I bought the beautiful little tin Pease tobaccos come in, I wasn't sure I would like its contents. After all, it's burley, isn't it? Burley is not one of my favorite blending tobaccos. It is mild, to be sure, but as I smoke burley blends they tend to do something nauseating to my stomach. So I have traditionally avoided them since that first experiment with Sir Walter Raleigh years ago. But not here. The burley is cased with brandy; perhaps that's the secret, perhaps it's something else. At any rate, there is not a trace of this noxious burley trait in Barbary Coast.

As others have noted, the physical characteristics of Barbary Coast are unique. Small pellets of burley with a few ribbons of virginia. I detected some perique-like qualities in here too, but if it is there, it is not owned up to by the blender: burley and red virginia is all it says. The tobacco lights easily and smokes all the way down with few re-lights.

Barbary Coast is an aromatic in the best sense of the word, multi-dimentional with hints of various flavors: chocolate, hazelnuts, and spice are just a few of the taste sensations that come through. Sound good? It is.

MikeB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeB (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Great looking tobacco in the sample I got. The smell was fantastic. From all the hype I was hearing about this blend, I couldn't wait to try it.

I am glad I did not buy a tin of it. It is a very nice tobacco, just not what I was looking for. I am going to try this again in a few months and see if my tastes have changed, but for now, it is on the shelf.

It was unremarkable compaired to some other english style blends I have and the reviews might have put my expectations too high.

It burned well and the smoke was full and powerful. It only required one relight for the entire bowl.