A blend of pure Virginia, Latakia and Perique. The added Turkish tobaccos makes this mixture a favorite with the lovers of rich, "Balkan Sobranie" type tobaccos.

BrandBlatter & Blatter

3.2
Patrick ValBlanc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patrick ValBlanc (6)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

A contender for my first place favorite. The beauty of this smoke I find, is how complete it is, very full, and evolving throughout each bowl. Its an easy smoke, burns well down to fine ash. The aroma out of the bag is strong, sweet, and speaks mostly of Latakia. The smoke itself is dominated by the latakia for the first half of the bowl with the périque and cavendish progressively taking over through to the end of the bowl. It carries the smoky qualities of english tobaccos at fist and the musty quality of balkans throughout. Balanced and Lovely.

The only drawback I've noted is the cut is somewhat irregular and it does happen that a fleck of leaf is pulled up the stem, but it isn't enough to put me off the blend.

Just to make sure I've covered everything, I've never tasted Balkan Sob, but I really can't say it compares to Balkan Sasieni at all, it shares the musty notes, but the resemblance stops there, and I'm quite glad of it, considering I'm not particularly fond of the former.

Lawyertodd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawyertodd (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Absolutely my favorite. Been smoking English blends since 1970, and blending my own. Couldn't have blended a more satisfying smoke. I travel to Blatter's in Montreal just to buy it.

Pipe Used: Any and All

Purchased From: Blatter & Blatter

Starbase3055 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Starbase3055 (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Good taste, good smell. But for me, tongue bite was an issue.

ttimothy.ll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ttimothy.ll (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Strong

Good: Great English, subtle yet with a solid bit of sweet in the midst of a savoury smoke. Low risk of tongue bite.

Not so Good: A bit pricey; the bag I received had a substantial amount of unsmokeable dust.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A full bodied Balkan mixture, Black Cavendish and Latakia to the forefront. Sweet, woodsy and slightly musky this tobacco burns slowly and to a white ash. You get a slow burning, cool and dry smoke. I enjoy this Balkan very much. This is Blatter & Blatter's staple tobacco. To be smoked within the first two weeks of purchase as it becomes bland for an unknown reason.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

I don't know if this one compares to Balkan Sobranie as advertised...Because I haven't tried it!

This mixture is rather dark and has, yes, something similar to cocoa in it...

Smoking is slow and cool, with the presence of Latakia, VA and some unsweetened black CA. I am not sure I make out the Orientals in this one, though...

Overall, a good smoke. But you have to smoke it fast because it turns rather bland after a couple weeks.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking Reserve on & off (but not hot & cold) for about ten years. I suspect that there may be some long term changes in the blend as well as my own taste profile. At first light clearly latakia and perique that mellows out to include the rest of the ingredients in reasonably good balance. What I perceive has changed over the years is the greater persistance of the perique throughout and an almost floral wisp of flavor in the background, nearly tonquin-ish. The Canadian tobacco tax has eliminated this from my rotation. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd rather go Rich's (Steve Brooks) blends.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice smoke. Mild English in aroma and the perique only dances a bit on the tongue...not in your face like the Mild English is.

Too moist...let it air before smoking. Quality tobaccos. The cavendish adds a mellowing impact to the smoke. Lots of billowing white smoke full of aroma.

My wife and I have found that mixing this 50/50 with Blatter's London rounds it out to a fuller and more robust smoke but still mild enough to be enjoyed.

I have never smoked Balkan Sobranie type blends so I cannot compare this to any.

We love it. My wife places this second to Squadron Leader in her preferences. Personally, I put this third in my preferences, giving Squadron Leader first place, Blatter's Oriental Pleasure second.

Its a good smoke none the less and should be tried.

Battling Maxo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Battling Maxo (8)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Creamy and rich, this truly is for lovers of Balkan Sobranie type tobaccos. This is not a direct comparison to Balkan Sobranie, however. As a devotee of Balkan blends, I find that Blatter Reserve is a welcome break from the "variations on a theme" that English and Balkan blends present. The subtle zest of perique and gentle sweetness of black cavendish add an extra dimension for those who want something a little different.

While it is not in my daily rotation per se, I cannot be without it either. There are times when it hits the spot unlike any other. Odd as it may sound, my fondest memories of Reserve are on a rainy evening after a good meal or BBQ.

I respectfully agree and disagree with my peers on this forum; while Reserve may serve for the beginner, it also serves for the veteran. A crossover, I don't believe it is. Whatever topping exists, to me, serves as an enhancement for purposes unto its own.

3.5 of 4 stars.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Yea, Blatter Reserve, another of their popular blends.

Yes, I also wonder why they compare it to Balkan Sasieni, it is totally different!

Nevertheless, we are in presence of a very decent bulk blend, with notes of Latakia, mainly, and a cacao aroma, secondly. Then, when smelling repeatedly, the VAs and orientals will become discernable.

I've finished the bag every time I've bought that blend. It has a tendency to become smoother after a week or so, and maybe loose a bit on the taste side, but it still retains some character.

A good effort for a bulk blend. It's worth a try, boys.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I bought this tobacco in Montreal from Blatter & Blatter on the strength of a review I had read. In the pouch (a little ziplock baggie) the tobacco is a medium cut, brown and black tobacco. It has a spicy, smoky aroma that I could actually recognize as Perique and Latakia (respectively) with a faint underlying sweetness of Virginia.

This was the first tobacco I smoked that I could taste a spiciness: if I had to describe the sensation, I would have to say the flavour was what I would imagine smoking cayenne pepper would be like (but without a burning mouth). I found the mixture of Perique, Latakia and Virginia to be a nice, even blending?the flavours intertwined nicely throughout the smoke. None of the tastes overpowered the other, and it didn't become tiresome by the end of the bowl. I found it a nice switch from the sweeter aromatic blends yet still interesting and unique in its blending of what are three different 'natural' tobacco flavours. It would make a nice, mild English blend for the beginner.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

If I had read the description of this blend before trying it, I would have been disappointed. I have no idea where they get the idea that it bears any resemblance whatsoever to Balkan Sobranie. I?m glad my experience with Reserve was not prejudiced in this manner, and I tried it on its own merits.

Reserve is an English blend with Cavendish, but not in the way of 965. This Cavendish makes its presence known in a much bigger way. In fact, the last third of the bowl, which was the richest part of the bowl, was heavy on the Cavendish. Surprisingly enough, that was my favorite part of the bowl. The Latakia was still there, and the sweetness of the Cavendish added to it for a very unique flavor experience. It could almost be called an English to Aromatic crossover blend. It?s light on the Virginias and Oriental/Turkish style leaf. Perique, if it really is there, is in minute quantity.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable smoke. I may have to bite the bullet on the excessive taxes and all, and buy some. The bag I got was from a friend who had bought it some years ago. He recently found it in the back of a closet, unopened, and shared it. If you?re looking for a replacement for Balkan Sobranie, keep looking, this isn?t it. But if you want something full in flavor, cool smoking, and with a hint of sweetness, this could be the answer.

Aroma: This is a dark and musty blend, I smell a lot of Latakia, and some Oriental leaf in here. The more I sniffed this sample, the more convinced I became that it contained some sort of topping or casing. The faint backgroundnotes of molasses gives it away. The smell reminds me of barbecue sauce, but not in a McClelland-ish vinegar sort of way, but in a thick, syrupy sort of way.

Physical Characteristics: This is a very dark tobacco, with black pieces making up 80% or more of the sample I have, with dark brown ribbons making up the balance. Ostensibly a ribbon-cut tobacco, this has quite a bit higher a percentage of what I call 'chaff' than I would like. Too many tiny flecks of tobacco just waiting to be sucked through the stem, burning no doubt. The last blend I saw with this high a percentage of flecks was from Georgetown Tobacco, so I would not be suprised to discover that this was from them. There are, upon second look, a pretty high percentage of incredibly long pieces as well, so perhaps this would be better described as a wild-cut than a ribbon.

Notes: This being a new-to-me blend, it went into an SMS meerschaum for the initial bowl. It packed easily, and the charring light went by without much to comment on. The initial puffs are quite a Latakia festival, with a slightly lingering aftertaste that, once again, reminds me of a topping of some sort, without any more specifics as to what that topping may be. I don't think there is much Virginia in this blend, or at least not much stoved Virginia. The taste and aroma is far too smoky sweet for that. Perhaps Cavendish is used for a base in this blend, which would also speak to the vaguely cased attribute I have mentioned. The smoky, barbeque sauce flavor continues throughout the bowl, and I am convinced that there is a good proportion of Cavendish in here. Two more bowls, one in a Larsen brandyglass and one in a corncob repeated the experiences of the first bowl, with only minor differences.

Verdict: For me, this is a no go. While I cannot point to anything blaringly wrong with this blend, it does fail to excite me at all. I am not sorry I smoked it, but I really can't see smoking it again.

Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a dark English blend that is full flavored without being heavy. In color, it is almost black with brown and orange-red ribbon and flake like pieces. Although it tastes like the flavorful English blends that I prefer, it has a very surprising sweet flavor. My guess is that it is a blend of Turkish, Virginia, and Sweet Black Cavendish. The Latakia flavor is obvious, but not overbearing, and there are hints of Perique. The pouch aroma is definitely English in nature, but it also has a unique aromatic presence although it is described as non-aromatic. It burns to a clean dry ash, and, for me, has no bite. Typically, it needs an occassional tamp, but seldom requires a relight. The room aroma is a strange combination of Latakia and fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookiessss. This has become one of my favorite blends. I can turn to it at any time, in any pipe, and in any mood. I would recommend Private Reserve to those that are attempting to switch from an aromatic to an English blend for its Chocolate-like component. I would also recommend it to those who would like a pinch of sweetness with their Latakia, and an aroma that will keep others from leaving the room.

meerschaumj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaumj (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I"ll try not to repeat what has already been said. This blend has a wonderful way of changing flavours throughout the smoke, never boring to my taste buds anyway. The subtle sweetness from the virginia and small percent of cavendish is very pleasing, and balances the generous amount of latakia and spiceiness of the perique. This effect makes the smoke seem very full, but it is not overbearing in any way. I myself prefer balkans with a hint of sweetness, as some balkan mixures can smoke very "dry", which to me = dull. Of course thats just my taste but, I highly recommend this blend to those who feel the same way. Also Blatter Reserve is very easy to smoke all day, it has a moderate nicotine strength. "Dry" british blend lovers may enjoy this one for a nice change too. :)

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

In a nutshell, this smokes like a more refined Frog Morton. It shares the dark but non-tiring flavor that is not monochromatically Latakia. I suspect a touch of very subtle sweetening, maybe a whisper of vanilla. This is an easy, cool smoke. If it didn't have to be imported from Canada with all of the expensive taxes levied, this would be one of my most-smoked English blends. A great blend.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (30)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Funny how preferences can change, I personally have become quite tired of this one and find that the perique or maybe some other ingredient leaves an unpleasant sharp tingling sensation in my mouth sometimes (not quite tongue bite)The Cavendish is too abundant, leaving a long aftertaste and some excess moisture. I have come to the conclusion that this blend is more of a stepping stone from Aromatics to English, and once you fully enjoy a good English blend, I suppose this mixture loses its appeal.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

This blend is one of the first blends I tried when I took to my pipes again. It was the blend that got me interested in continuing on with my joy of pipe smoking. This is an interesting english blend with definite notes of chocolate on opening the bag.I can smoke this at almost any time of day. There must be some sort of casing on the tobacco, although it is not heavy. No bite and easy to smoke at any time, with different notes of flavor becoming prominent at different times. Although I can leave it for many months it is always a joy to come back to. Four stars.

tslots Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tslots (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a very soft, mostly dark tobacco with a rather mixed cut that makes pipe loading easy. The pouch aroma is definately one of Latakia, but it is rather sweet and subdued as compared to the smokiness of say ... Frog Morton. This burns very well but does have a bit of residual moisture. The flavors are quite rich, but not overwhelming in any aspect. They also seem to gain in strength as you progress further down the bowl. I can honestly say that I've enjoyed each bowl I've smoked ... whether it was first thing in the morning, after lunch or in the evening. Another big plus is that my non-smoking wife really enjoys the room aroma. This is a winner for me and one that I would recommend highly.

drsluggo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drsluggo (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is an interesting hybrid: English, aromatic, Virginia. Something for everyone, and I find it dangerously, deliciously addictive. The pouch aroma is heavy with latakia--almost off-putting, but there is some sweetness to the aroma. It packs easily and burns like a champ with minimal relights necesssary. I have smoked it in large and small bowls, all briar, and have the same result in all. The first third is sweet and flavorful; cool burning with no bite. You can taste the English/orientals but there seems to be some Cavendish to make it this pleasantly sweet. The middle third is slightly stronger as is the bottom third. The nicotine kick is very light until the bottom of the bowl when it becomes moderate. It burns to a dark ash with minimal dottle. Clean, very dry, and the fastest cake builder I have ever smoked. This has quickly become my favorite and my all-day smoke. My office staff tolerates it well and I can smoke it bowl after bowl, anticipating each one. A masterpiece!! Highest recommendation.