This beautifully balanced blend of Virginia, Granulated Cavendish, Toasted Cavendish and sweet, mature Burley tobaccos is made according to an old recipe that has led the pipe smoker through many ages of pleasure.

BrandW.O. Larsen
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia, Black Cavendish
Strength
Taste
Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (16)

Larsen No. 50 is the quintessential Danish Aromatic for me. A well-rounded flavoring(the recent tins in Germany say vanilla and maple syrup)applied to a good tobacco base in just the right amount make for a smoke one can enjoy all day, every day. The roomnote is the smell that pipesmokers are loved for.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

I got a tin from my sister in law, who brought this to me from Scandinavia, where she lives. The tin is beautiful as with all WO Larsens blends. Opened and was greeted with a fresh whaft of light caramel and apricot preserve? Yep, nice hues of gold, brown and some black leaves, not too moist and ready to fill my chubby bent apple by VAUEN, oh one of my lovely ones... Packed carefully and stroke the first char of flames to make the tobacco grow a bit...tampedmdown and proceeded for a calm relaxing puff... Good and sweet... No bite, delicious aroma and a great companion for an unsweetened cup of strong black coffee from Brazil, where I hail. Burns without effort to the bottom of the bowl, developing a bit more of flavour as it progresses... No dizzimess here, light smoke... Good stuff...dry ashes by the end... I am a balkan and latakia lover, but this one sets a good one when in the mood for a n aromatic rotation, Danish style.

Xuivonae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xuivonae (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Very addictively delicious, not too sweet, mellow, no tongue bite, virtually no heat, enjoyably mild and occasionaly right down the middle with ever increasingly pleasing complexity probably mostly from the burley and darker cavendish, and a pleasing and welcoming distinct overtone coming from the bready apricot flavoring added. Ready to go. Smells yummy like freshly baked warm bread spread with butter and lots of apricot preserves. Expensive. The only bad thing I can say is that there were an abundance of stems, strange considering it's price and overall high quality. This is a must try blend though, if you have the money for it. Besides the pesky random stem issue, this blend lights up right away and lets you enjoy premium tobacco and the subtely added mild flavoring. Without the stems, and a lowered price, this should be one of my anytime all time favorites.

I smoked a few bowls of this from one of the older tins before the name was changed. Not a lot of strength but for aromatic fans who like to dapple in milder additional flavors then this would be a good choice. I wish I could remember the name of the newer version.

I did detect a somewhat fermented, sour note as I hit the bottom of the bowls I smoked. This leads me to believe the added flavoring had gone south since the tin I smoked from was atleast 6-7 years old.

TeeBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TeeBee (19)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I can only agree with OLDTIMER; this is their best. The tin aroma is just awsome and the smell... you don't get enemies with this stuff. Sadly enough you can't find it anywhere here i Sweden any longer. Thankfully Denmark is only 1 1/2 hour away from my home.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

For me this is the best Larsen. It has the perfume of box elder and honey. Sometimes and especially in the beginning, it can cause some burning. Its perfume is very good, and tobacco is not particularly humid. Also it does not bother and perhaps the smell in closed areas is pleasant. It is ideal in order to make mixes.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

There have already been many astute reviews on this blend, but I will add what I am able. As previously stated, this blend is pretty mild and may take a bit for a flavour to kick in. It does indeed have light maple notes to it; I also detected a nutty taste. Contains very well balanced, high quality leaf. If you are a fan of good burleys and Cavendish, its worth a try. Virginia smokers, and certainly latakia smokers, may not be as happy with it.

Again, I am not the first to say this, but this blend would be a fine choice for a cool evening smoke.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a delicious tobacco in the best Danish tradition. Gently sweet, excellent room note, yet very much satisfying. This is a fantastic choice for those of you looking for something with real tobacco goodness (no black cavendish goop) yet mildly sweet for a nice all-day mixture that is pleasing to those around you.

I am traditionally a smoker of English blends and stronger natural blends. I am not a big fan of modern aromatics. Yet I really like this blend. Try it.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)

Now this is truly a great one. I don?t know why I don?t smoke even more of this, because in its style it has everything. Nice tobacco. Can?t quite put my finger on what exactly the casing is, but I can understand why some mention apricot, or pastry. This burns great, without tongue bite, has some tobacco taste, tastes sweet but not overwhelmingly and leaves a great room aroma. Somewhat above the mild line in strength. Everytime I have a less than ideal pipe experience (trying out a new tobacco, or getting bitten after puffing some tobacco too hard or whaterver), I always think ?If only I had filled the bowl with this no50?.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Selected Blend NO 50 Light.

I'm a lady pipe smoker who just love's Virginia's,V-Perique,Balkan's and English tobacco's. Upon lighting which is very easy with this blend,I was treated to one of the nicest aromatic's I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. I was pleasantly surprised because I found SB No 50 Light to be a most enjoyable treat,not only for me but those around me,as well. (Plus no tongue bite!) The sweet mild topping doe's not overtake the natural burley,cavendish,or the virginia to the point of not being able to detect them.As the case can be with many other aromatic's. There's a definite berry taste that is sweet,but certainly not overpowering or nasty in anyway. Leave's a clean white grey ash at the end,with just a minium bit of moisture at bowl's end. Highly recommended to new smoker's and those looking for a change of pace. In it's class 10 out 10.

Henry B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry B (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I deliberately forced myself not to review this tobacco for a couple of months, because I needed some time to find the right words. Words that are worthy of this fine fine blend. A high quality aromatic by the danish master blender W.O. Larsen. Complex and addictive. That would describe it best in my opinion. Among all the tobaccos I tried, this one resides among the top five. In the tin the smell is that of chocolate and caramel, giving the false impression, this might be a light aromatic, which can be smoked without much care. I cannot stress enough, how important it is that one does not fall into this trap. It is neither of light strength, nor does it allow one smoke it carelessly. It is inforgiving´ and must be smoked slowly or it will taste like smoldering paper or worse. The first half of the bowl, the sweeter nuances are clearly dominant. A taste of caramel with hints of chocolate, almonds and coffee please the tongue and palate. Then the burley kicks in. A nutty and robust burley taste comes into play and harmonizes perfectly with the caramel taste. I suppose, it's also the burley, that adds the generous portion of nicotine. After smoking a bowl of this I eperience the same satisfaction as with stronger natural tobaccos (without Latakia). The room note is a dream. Highest recommandations.

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm not a huge fan of the sweeter aromatics, but this is one that I smoke now and again when I have a sweet tooth. It's a nice Virginia/black cavendish mixture flavored with something I can't quite identify - it reminds me of maple and walnut when I smoke it and leaves a great aroma in the room. It burns well, especially when it's dried just a little, and can be smoked relatively aggressively without biting.

It's inexpensive, readily available and tastes nice both before and after the flavorings fade. Aromatic lovers should give this a try, and those who prefer Virginias but aren't prejudiced against well-integrated flavorings should give it a shot.

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)

This was a great aromatic a few years ago. It was always a bit bitey, and needed to be smoked extremely slowly. The caramel aroma was pleasant, but they changed it to something sticky and stale tasting. It seems, recent tins became a little better, but it never was the same as the old, very good blend. The old one would have gotten 4 stars from me, the changed blend 1 star. The recent tins gets 2 stars, but I have meanwhile changed to Orlik Club Blend and Old Fashioned from the same blender.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

EDIT: I up this to two stars, after a little air has gotten to it. Still I find it very tangy and a little less stingy. It does have a solid Danish taste. But I won't buy it again.

I really don't like to give hard working businesses a rough time. I generally give most blends 3-4 stars. I like pipe tobacco, any tobacco blend is worth a try in my opinion. But really this blend is stingy and bitey beyond any other I have tried, and I've tried about 50 odd blends. Maybe it's just my tin, it's got 2 yrs age on it, was super dry when opened, but it still stung like hell, added a moisture button for a week, improved, but still stingy.

One of the best Danishes I have tried is Curley Cut Flake no.32...simply Danish, and simply wonderful. No.50 has a similar honey and woody flavor...but with all that sting...what's the point...really I'm amazed this blend has even 1 star from anybody!

I can only conclude I have a super stingy tin, maybe it just doesn't agree with me!...That said, I have tried some other Danish blends very similar in taste and result. I guess Danes are just into having that Scandinavian sauna affect with their pipes too. 0 stars....zero. It will go back on the shelf for a year, hoping either it or I will change for the better, failing that, wish me luck blending this one into something smokeable.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

The tin I smoked this from was about 5+ years aged, and for Larsen tobaccos this blend was actually nice-a shame it's not made anymore.Lighting this tobacco became a maintenance more than a luxury.After drying out though and giving it another chance my tastebuds were rewarded with a tasty melange of virginias and cavendish giving a dark and sweet smoke and the topping can only be described as Brown Sugar and Honey the closest thing I can compare it to would be Graham Crackers.The topping is just present in the blend,it's not dominant probably first 5-7 puffs then it becomes very mild coming in and out.the room note is very nice I just hope it doesn't attract any bees!

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

I had high hopes of this tobacco based on reviews here. I bought a 50g tin and I've smoked it several times but not posted a review because I don't feel there's that much to say about it unfortunately.

Presentation is excellent - classy tin, ruffled paper, card top. Delightful sweet toffee aroma in the tin. Packs and lights easily. Burns evenly down to a fine ash - not goopy at all. It's very sweet in taste but unfortunately that's it, nothing more to it - therefore I find it a bit boring personally. If sweet aromatics are your thing this is a quality product that you probably should try.

I found this tobacco to be very similar in both presentation and taste to A & C Petersen's "Caledonian" but minus the boozy topping and I also reckon Caledonian has a very small amount of latakia to add interest.

Incidentally this is no longer called "Light & Sweet", it is now simply "Sweet Mixture"

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

To me this is Larsen's best. It has the aroma of Maple and Honey. Very little tongue bite if any, and burns to a clean dry ash. The tin aroma is just great, and the tobacco is not to moist. I seem to smoke this a lot in the winter time, because of it's wonderful room note, I love this stuff. Update I guess all good things must end. I am down to my last can and can not find anymore. This has been my favorite Tobacco for many years, and I just can not find any other blend that compares to this great old blend. To me this was the perfect Tobacco.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

In the Tin: This has a pleasant fragrance of Virginias and a fruit essence, perhaps apricot.

Packing and Lighting: This comes in a fairly narrow ribbon, and packs, lights, and stays lit quite easily.

The Taste: To me this tastes mostly of sweet Virginia, and Burley, just considerably sweeter than a Virginia/Burley blend. I don't detect any apricot in the smoke. You'd have to puff pretty hard to burn yourself. Overall a very pleasing easy to smoke sweet aromatic without an in your face taste.

I'd give this 4 stars but this doesn't make it into my regular rotation of aromatics.

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Selected Blend N° 50 is very similar to McConell´s Black and Gold, and to Petersen & Sorensen?s Danish Mixture. Golden Virginias, sugary by nature, mid brown matured Burleys (very smooth and discreetly applied) and a sweet toasted Black Cavendish with a flowery taste, combine to produce a very tasty and smooth mixture in the best Danish tradition. It has the aroma of freshly baked pastry and if you like that kind of taste, it is very savoury without being syrupy or goopy.

Like all Larsen´s, the tobacco is of the highest quality. Ribbon cut, and a bit more moist than other similar blends from the same house, it never the less pack very easily, it burns smooth and it smokes clean. The aroma is highly appreciated by non smokers and ladies. Unlike Selected Blend N° 80 (which using similar components, manages to deliver more strength and a more defined tobacco flavour), the aromatic components in this one are more evident and tend to dilute the natural taste of the leaf . It is also milder and more than two or three bowls a day can lead to a certain amount of tongue bite.

As a change of pace within the aromatic range, this one may be an excellent choice. It is entirely different from most drug store blends and IMO far superior than many other Danish aromatics. I still prefer, though, Selected Blend N° 80.

Elcid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elcid (16)
Very Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Like the estimable Col. Panic above, I feel this is a good now-and-again smoke. Needs 30+ minutes to dry, but then packs fine. The topping has a nice subtle smell -- dried apricots I think -- can't quite put my finger on it. The char light reveals some PG aroma, but this dissipates fast. Room note is not bad, but not the crowd-pleaser you might expect from the pouch aroma. Good when "DGT'd" i.e., finishing a partial bowl several hours after the initial light. Not as complex as, say, Two Friends' Valle Crucis, but a good change of pace.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well, I don't smoke a lot of aromatics and although this doesn't ring my bell much, it's made of top notch leaf and is the crowd pleaser an aromatic ought to be. It starts to pick up a little strength after half bowl and the bite is minimal compared to similar blends. Tin aroma is great and the comments from people around are very positive. I would heartily reccomend this to mild aromatic smokers, but not to VA, VAPer and English pipesters

Hauser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hauser (16)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Tin Opening-The tin aroma is a light fruit, no one in particular, just fruity/floral. Appearance is mostly brown marble with a few dark strands.

Packing-Packed well into my Savinelli freehand.

Lighting-Two matches and a tamp

First Impression-What first impression? It doesn?t seem to make one. I had to puff a few times to make sure it was even lit because I didn?t taste anything until I hit the ¼ bowl mark

Mid Bowl-Now it?s settled into something that?s very smooth, mild in taste and has no tongue bite! This blend defines aromatic mellow with some chocos present in the taste and the aroma. Even though the bowl feels a little warm, none of the heat hits the tongue. In fact, its so cool, you have to puff more so that explains the heat. Through the mid bowl, it?s a fairly one note blend but the note works.

Finish-Slight hits of wetness arrive towards the end of the bowl and it gets more intense but it remains the one note wonder that it is.

Over all-I was all set not to like this given that the last Larsen aromatic I smoked was horrible. Overall a very good smoke for when the occasion calls for something lighter. It doesn?t have enough flavor for a day to day smoke but it is good and well made without being great.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This is too light for my tastes, even for an aromatic. Very little taste whatsoever. Very sticky stuff. The tin aroma has that Danish trademark liqueur smell, but the room aroma is nice to bystanders. I don't really dislike it, but I happily gave my tin away to a new smoker.