This beautifully balanced blend of Virginia, granulated cavendish, toasted cavendish and sweet, mature burley tobaccos is made according to an old recipe that has led the pipe smoker through many ages of pleasure.

BrandW.O. Larsen
Taste

3.1
Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (18)

Larsen No. 50 is the quintessential Danish Aromatic for me. A well-rounded flavoring(the recent tins in Germany say vanilla and maple syrup)applied to a good tobacco base in just the right amount make for a smoke one can enjoy all day, every day. The roomnote is the smell that pipesmokers are loved for.

I smoked a few bowls of this from one of the older tins before the name was changed. Not a lot of strength but for aromatic fans who like to dapple in milder additional flavors then this would be a good choice. I wish I could remember the name of the newer version.

I did detect a somewhat fermented, sour note as I hit the bottom of the bowls I smoked. This leads me to believe the added flavoring had gone south since the tin I smoked from was atleast 6-7 years old.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

So damn tasty......

This was the 2nd tobacco I did try, when I started smokig the pipe and I instantly fell in love with it. It's pretty "easy" smoke, not too complex, yet very delicious and exciting mixture. In Germany it's somehow called "Maple Mixture" - and this is the better name for it I think!

Fine sweetish, slightly citrusy Virginias and a hearty amount of nutty- sweet Burleys - on top the well balanced and very tasty topping of Maple-Syrup. The flavouring is strong, but not too strong for my taste, even tho I'm not the biggest aromatic-fan. The tobacco does shine through and harmonizes perfectly with the maple-aroma. Caramel-ish, creamy smoke, with excellent burning characteristics. A hint of vanilla to be noticed, that is hiding - or better: expanding the maple taste to an appetizing aroma.

Well crafted tobacco, which I even now smoke quite often, even tho that I'm my taste changed and I mainly smoke Kentuckys & Va/Pers. I prefer it in a Corn Cob, as it expands the sweetness in a pleasant way.

Incredible (good) room-note! Sweet maple, caramel - the odor is a joy for any nose.

4/4 Stars - Nothing I smoke every day, but definetly a tobacco I wouldnt wanna miss in my tobacco selection. Also due to the fact that this was my 2nd pipe tobacco (the first I bought myself; 1st one was a gift) I surely will never forget this tobacco, and how much pleasure I had with this! For Aromatic-Fans a must try, imho.

Pipe Used: Various Briars / Corn Cob / Clay

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and jarred for several months

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)

Now this is truly a great one. I don?t know why I don?t smoke even more of this, because in its style it has everything. Nice tobacco. Can?t quite put my finger on what exactly the casing is, but I can understand why some mention apricot, or pastry. This burns great, without tongue bite, has some tobacco taste, tastes sweet but not overwhelmingly and leaves a great room aroma. Somewhat above the mild line in strength. Everytime I have a less than ideal pipe experience (trying out a new tobacco, or getting bitten after puffing some tobacco too hard or whaterver), I always think ?If only I had filled the bowl with this no50?.

SmokingHawk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingHawk (27)

I got the100gms tin which doesn't have the warning on top of the lid but instead at the bottom round of the tin so I guess it's some what aged. Tin aroma is pleasant you can smell vanilla tops and some sweet maple. Burn very evenly and easily and a very pleasant all day smoke.

Age When Smoked: Somewhat aged

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

W.O. Larsen - Selected Blend No. 50.

I usually have a preference for non aromatic blends: VaPer's, VaBurs, and straight Virginia's, but, it's probably due to it being the festive season, I was in the mood for something sweet. After looking though my tobacco stash and doing my research on this site I decided that No. 50 would fit the bill so opted to open this one up. I have to say, it's exactly what I required.

I've had this tin for about six months and I was impressed when I removed the 'pop top' to find the tobacco sealed by a foil ring-pull lid underneath; this has prevented any chance of the tobacco becoming tainted by the outside environment. Even though the weed has been kept away from the air it's still not too damp, it's simply perfectly hydrated.

The aroma from the freshly opened tin is exactly what I was hoping for. Very sweet and caramel-esc. My mouth's watering from it!

The tin contains mostly ribbons however there's some broken flakes in there as well. Not lots of them but a few small ones.

The moment this gets lit I'm satisfied; the taste is a well rounded tobacco one with a good addition of maple, caramel, and vanilla. This extra flavour is a touch heavier at the beginning but calms down a bit after about ten minutes or so. I straight away think to myself "a perfect smoke to have after Christmas dinner".

The smoke has about a mild to medium nicotine amount. It seems a good quantity of N for the Christmas period as it's not too stimulating.

I only get very little tongue bite if I really hammer it. Other than that it's an enjoyable smoke.

This, for me, is a perfect Christmas blend.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2014

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

As far as quality and taste are concerned, the W.Ø. Larsen Selected Blend No. 50 comes very close to Davisdoff's Danish Mixture at a lesser price.

It, too, is an aromatic ribbon cut bleding Virginias, Burley and Black Cavendish. The pleasant tin note smells of maple syrup.

Using the Frank method, I find filling and lighting my pipe pretty easy. It usually takes only a charring and single true light to get the tobacco burning evenly. After that, apart from smoking gently, the pipe doesn't require much attention.

As long as you enjoy this tobacco coolly, you're rewarded with a sweet, balanced smoke that is surprizingly high on nicotine. Due to the light flavoring, there's a delicious taste reminiscent of caramel and honey, which still allows the natural sweetness of the Virginias and some nutty aftertaste from the Burley to shine through. However, if you draw too eagerly on your pipe, it'll turn shallow and harsh.

The room note is sweet and rich.

Pipe Used: Big Ben Tin Pipe

Purchased From: www.cigarworld.de

Similar Blends: Davidoff Danish Mixture.

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)

This was a great aromatic a few years ago. It was always a bit bitey, and needed to be smoked extremely slowly. The caramel aroma was pleasant, but they changed it to something sticky and stale tasting. It seems, recent tins became a little better, but it never was the same as the old, very good blend. The old one would have gotten 4 stars from me, the changed blend 1 star. The recent tins gets 2 stars, but I have meanwhile changed to Orlik Club Blend and Old Fashioned from the same blender.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

EDIT: I up this to two stars, after a little air has gotten to it. Still I find it very tangy and a little less stingy. It does have a solid Danish taste. But I won't buy it again.

I really don't like to give hard working businesses a rough time. I generally give most blends 3-4 stars. I like pipe tobacco, any tobacco blend is worth a try in my opinion. But really this blend is stingy and bitey beyond any other I have tried, and I've tried about 50 odd blends. Maybe it's just my tin, it's got 2 yrs age on it, was super dry when opened, but it still stung like hell, added a moisture button for a week, improved, but still stingy.

One of the best Danishes I have tried is Curley Cut Flake no.32...simply Danish, and simply wonderful. No.50 has a similar honey and woody flavor...but with all that sting...what's the point...really I'm amazed this blend has even 1 star from anybody!

I can only conclude I have a super stingy tin, maybe it just doesn't agree with me!...That said, I have tried some other Danish blends very similar in taste and result. I guess Danes are just into having that Scandinavian sauna affect with their pipes too. 0 stars....zero. It will go back on the shelf for a year, hoping either it or I will change for the better, failing that, wish me luck blending this one into something smokeable.

Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Selected Blend N° 50 is very similar to McConell´s Black and Gold, and to Petersen & Sorensen?s Danish Mixture. Golden Virginias, sugary by nature, mid brown matured Burleys (very smooth and discreetly applied) and a sweet toasted Black Cavendish with a flowery taste, combine to produce a very tasty and smooth mixture in the best Danish tradition. It has the aroma of freshly baked pastry and if you like that kind of taste, it is very savoury without being syrupy or goopy.

Like all Larsen´s, the tobacco is of the highest quality. Ribbon cut, and a bit more moist than other similar blends from the same house, it never the less pack very easily, it burns smooth and it smokes clean. The aroma is highly appreciated by non smokers and ladies. Unlike Selected Blend N° 80 (which using similar components, manages to deliver more strength and a more defined tobacco flavour), the aromatic components in this one are more evident and tend to dilute the natural taste of the leaf . It is also milder and more than two or three bowls a day can lead to a certain amount of tongue bite.

As a change of pace within the aromatic range, this one may be an excellent choice. It is entirely different from most drug store blends and IMO far superior than many other Danish aromatics. I still prefer, though, Selected Blend N° 80.