A blend of Virginia and Burley leaf that has been selected from the best tobacco fields in the world. No effort has been spared as one part of the blend has been pressed into cakes and aged, while the other part is finished in different cuts. Finally the different parts are blended and top flavored by hand.

BrandW.O. Larsen
Strength
Taste

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (13)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

W.O. Larson's "Old Fashioned": You'll either love it, or you'll hate it.

POSITIVE:

Old Fashioned blend offers a very nice room note that is sure to please most non-smokers and may get compliments by some. I did like the after taste of subtle creamy butter that lingered for some time.

NEGATIVE:

This tobacco has a nasty bite. after 1 slow bowl I couldn't taste for a day. I felt like I smoked 10 bowls in a row. this tobacco also burned very hot and took on a char taste. The over all flavor is pretty bland and does not live up to it's tin nose. as I smoked the flavors did not develop at all. aside from the above mentioned after taste there was no real tobacco flavor nor was there any hint of flavoring aside from room note. the price is outrageous. where I live it cost $135 for a 100 gram tin. I would consider cutting this blend with another such as Mac Barren's vanilla cream (which in my opinion needs to be cut with something anyways.)

the reviews are mixed. a lot of people love this blend. a lot don't. I lean towards the latter.

Over all, I will not be purchasing this blend again.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)

This stuff has a fantastic fragrance of caramel and butterscotch in the tin. It tastes like a mixture of Virginia and Burley (which it is) with very subtle topping or casing. My wife didn't object to the room note but can be a good or bad thing (normally, the mixtures she like me to smoke taste like incense smells.) It's mild and behaves very well so it makes a nice relaxing smoke if you are in the mood for an aromatic mixture with a delicate flavor.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 8 months (aged in a sealed jar)

Purchased From: e-tailer

Similar Blends: Larsen's Signature, Larsen's Perfect 1864 & Peterson's DeLuxe.

This is very representative of the Danish style of aromatic. It is a fat free no calorie dessert tasting of caramel and nuts...

This will make some say "yum", while others will run!

I found it pleasant, but only after messing a bit with it. Here are my tips for this blend:

1. Dry it out a bit. Only experience will teach the proper level for your taste. 2. Be careful packing it. A loose pack will indeed make it burn hot. It is more casing forward to my tastes than it is tobacco forward, and that will make it only a once in a while treat for me.

But it is a good blend, and I would think the fan of well flavored tobaccoes would enjoy it immensely.

Off an old Yale Mixture jar: "May your troubles end in smoke."

Mudguts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mudguts (12)

Purchased at P.G.C. Hajenias in Amsterdam (you gotta go to this pipe smoking Mecca). Nice toffee-like flavor to it, but this one bites, burns quite hot and typically leaves unburnt tobacco in the last 1/3 of the bowl. I really wanted to like this tobacco as the flavor and quality leaf appealed to me, but the fussiness due to poor smoking performance and too much humectant killed this blend. I went so far as to buy a meaty Stanley Colonial 9mm filter just for this blend in an attempt to kill the dragon, but that briar was not a good match, would not pass the flavor and the dragon reigned on. Really a shame. Great leaf, flavor, but poor smoking performance despite drying sessions and slow sipping. Heck, I left OF to dry for 5 hours and it still left wet dottle!

Pipe Used: Stanley Colonial 9mm billiard, cob

Age When Smoked: 2 months to 2 years

Purchased From: P.G.C. Hajenias

HPFlashman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HPFlashman (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One of three available pipe tobaccos in the tax-free shop at Gardemoen Airport, Norway. The other two are MacBaren Navy Flake and Scottish Blend.

Opening this box, I found the smell very enticing and bringing back some hazy childhood memories of caramels and grandparents. A somewhat odd comparison but thats what I got.

Happily pursuing the task of loading up a Parker Zulu to partake in the promised goodness. Loading accordingly to Child, woman, mans hand adage and lighting it up, reflecting on the wetness of it.

What horrors, what horrors, it took my tongue straigt out with numbness in the mouth and burns so bad that it made cold water feels blistering as well as ruining the pipe by burning out great chunks of the interior walls. I gave it some time and tried it again, with the same result and another scorched pipe.

Having pondered the problem, I gave it another go, sipping v-e-r-y slowly and the tobacco gave in, and released a rather good smoking experience with many tasting nuances developing throughout the bowl. Another bowl and the impression was furtherly enhanced, then being somewhat enthusiastic, mouthblaster and pipe burning again.

At this point I more or less gave up on it, but revisited after about a fortnight, primarily due to tobacco prices in Norway. The Old Fashioned had dried out considerably in that time and was somewhat easier controllable.

I loaded another pipe with it, that I did not get to smoke in two days and marvellous things had happened with it, a mellow and truly satisfying bowl was experienced. This bowl was the reason for me to keep working with it.

Then I did some work as to drying it out and to me it seems like the Old Fashioned need some serious drying out, before it comes into its own.

I have kept it in its pouch, but leaving the pouch top opened and ruffle the content every now and again, for a fortnight seems to leave it at its best.

Smoking it in a large bowl Falcon seems to take away the excessive amounts of moisture this tobacco contains, as the Falcon have the humidity trap thing in its construction and smokes dry.

The WØ Larsen Old Fashioned tobacco is quite nice, if you have the patience to go through the hoops, but as it comes from the factory, I would say that it is more of a raw product than a finished one, but if you have the time and patience to tame the beast, it will give good results.

My experience is based on two 100 gram tins. The 2 star grade is based on the wetness, if you hit the spot, drying it out, Old Fashioned is easily worth a 4 star ranking. Personally, I would like a tobacco to be good to go from the shop, not needing to be treated like a toddler to deliver what I have paid for, a good smoking experience.

Pipe Used: Diverse briars, Falcon, Alco with meer bowl

Age When Smoked: Fresh from shop

Purchased From: Tax-free shop, Gardermoen Airport

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a top notch aromatic. The tin note is strong on opening, but tones down after a few days. The flavor is caramell, coffee and butter candy and it blends with the tobacco flavor perfectly. It burns very well, a bit fast, to a grey powdery ash.

Some reviewers report about tongue bite. It can bite, if smoked too fast, but this is true for many Virginia based tobaccos. I can easily say, that it belongs to my favorites.

Similar Blends: Larsen No. 50.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (21)

This blend has a great smell and taste. It will bite, if not smoked s-l-o-w-l-y. Several different cuts makes for a really pretty tobacco in a jar and no doubt this is a high quality tobacco. I don't rotate it as I once did, as I find it a little pricey compared to what I consider superior blends.

Adam_Beckmark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam_Beckmark (10)

Good sweet and easy tobacco. Smokes well in any pipe.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a "Sui Generis" Tobacco. High Quality Burley and Virginia, without Cavendish, Smoke flavour and taste.

Aromatic, but not so strongly flavoured. Typically a Danish Mixture. Mild Aromatic, Mildly Sweet... as an "semi-aromatic" mixture.

Well... However, it is not so Mild in Nicotine, my oppinion.

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)

Seems to be made out of good quality tobacco, but it is way too mild. I do like aromatics, but this one has got neither the raw tobacco taste nor the sweet aromatic flavouring. Not a bad tobacco, but just not "strong" enough.

Memsys Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Memsys (8)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a well executed aromatic with a nice tin presentation and the tobaccos used are top notch. My main problem with this tobacco is not how it smokes or tastes, it is that this is extremely close to Lane 1-Q.

Old Traditional is just better executed, and not by much. But that still does not make up for the price difference. If you're thinking of trying this save your money try Lane first if you do not like it you are only out a few dollars. Save the rest or stock up on one of your regular smokes.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I normally prefer strong English blends, but I do not dislike aromatics either and I'm always on the look out for a good one. Its with that in mind that I decided to order a tin of Old Fashioned. The tin note has a wonderfully sweet, almost buttery smell to it. Like a golden crispy pastry.

The smoke itself has a slight sweetness to it with hints of that same buttery like taste. Its not overpowering but it isn't lacking either and the tobacco itself wasn't masked, but rather complimented by the topping.

I tend to take large drawn out puffs and many would say that I smoke a bit too fast. Despite this, I never experienced any tongue bite and the goopy wetness in the bottom of the bowl that is often synonymous with aromatics was minimal and consistent with Danish style aromatics.

I highly recommend this blend regardless of your preference. Its a great change of pace and a wonderful intro to Danish style aromatics that could also serve as an all day smoke.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought a tin at Vienna airport duty free shop in July 2011 and opened it a couple of weeks ago. The content was quite dry so no problem about lightning it and keeping it burning. Nice smell of caramel in the tin, above the Burley and Virgina smells. I tried it in a small bowl, in a large bowl, but failed to find any interest in the tobacco. Yes, that is the kind of tobacco the beginner would like, as not too strong, or the chain smoking guy, as he may smoke quite a number of pipes in a go. Actually the room note is more pleasant than the smoke. One could recommend to add some Lataka or bits of an aromatic blend to give more strength to the mixture. So a bit disappointed by this blend from W.O. Larsen.

Afraz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Afraz (14)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Its a good tobacco with semi aroma. I like this more than larsen signature and black diamond. i have a good taste, a bit aroma than let you taste the tobacco.

I ll buy it again.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)

I read the reviews before trying this as it was given as a gift and was troubled by all the references to the tongue bite. I gotta say, I did not have any trouble with tongue bite. I found the tin scent very pleasing, the aroma was deep and delicious. I thought it was a great smoke and smoked cool and long. It had a nostalgia factor to it for me. It reminded me of the few times I smelled pipes being smoked as a kid, but then what do I know, I was a kid. This is definitely one to try. Maybe be a bit wary of tongue bite based on the other reviews, but I didn't have that problem.

Bombay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bombay (6)

I so wanted this tobacco to work for me. I brought back a 100mg tin from Europe at the Duty Free shop. The aroma is great: vanilla toffee, but the bite is almost unbearable, even for the seasoned smoker. There is also little body or strength to justify this being for the sophomore and not the beginner. To be fair, I tried drying it out to give a second and third chance, advancing it in my rotation to the second or third bowl of the day, alternating pipes: all for naught. It's not a bad tobacco, just not a great tobacco.

steelcicada Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steelcicada (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Upon opening the wonderfully illustrated 100g tin of W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned I was treated to a pleasing bouquet which warmed my senses with nostalgia. It threw me back to a simpler time. As a child we would visit my Nanny and Popa's two or three times a year. After the hugs, pinched cheeks and remarks of " oh my how you've grown " I would make a mad dash to the dinning room. Across from the dark Hienztman upright piano stood a walnut stained maple table setting hutch. The far left cupboard of the hutch housed a bounty of tongue tantalizing treats. Nestled among the scotch mints, rosebuds and all-sorts were tins of butterscotch hard candy. These were the sort which required a quick prying with Popa's pocket knife to open the paint can style lid before revealing the powdered sugar dusted drops of delectable delights contained therein. Among the sweets was a smoky pressed glass dish which held my Popa's somewhat sour and stale stash of peanuts. The butterscotch, poorly aged peanuts and a hint of old funiture maple wood from the hutch combined form a poweful nostalgic cocktail. The tin waft has a very natural subtelty to it rather than the overwhelming synth - perfume smell of some aromatics which will remain anonymous.................To remain fair I will take another kick at the can....or tin rather, in hopes of being captivated by the elusive taste match to the lovely scent. I am committed to giving every tobacco time to develope on my palate and my reviews shall be updated to reflect this.

UPDATE I have revisted this blend several times to no avail. I'm afraid I must remain true to my og claims. Tongue bite is practically unbearable and certainly inescapable. I have great news though. If one mixes Smoker's Pride BC @ 3pts BC to 2 pts WOL Old Fashioned (or 60/40) all I can say is WOW.

Update =Eureka=

I found it. I've had this tin for a couple of months now and I loaded up my Pete's Ebony Sherlock - Watson XL. 6 full pinch packs and absolutely rammed the last 2 of the 6 and dropped a hole. I put more than an 8th of oz in there. I smoked for about 35 minutes before the sweet 'n' buttery flavour came out. I didn't even get a nip on the tongue. I'm still smoking it now and it's very tasty. I swear somebody switched it. Give it a whirl.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Frustrated in my attempt to get a refill of Burley London Blend or Golden Blend and not having the time to go to yet another tobacconist, I picked up a tin of this blend.

Nice tin; knowing that a design tin puts between 3 and 5 US$ on top of the price of the tobacco I guess the rather high price is OK for tin collectors. Opening it and the tinfoil inside, there is a strong whiff of nuts and caramel. The leaf is a mixed affair with bright and dark ribbons and some ready rubbed flake in there -- Burley and VA, with some BC.

Easy to stuff and light, the room note is also strong on the caramel and possibly a touch of vanilla. The taste is very sweet, and after smoking half a pipe of this in my car, I noticed that the aroma clung to me as I got out and took quite some time to dissipate. I tried Old Fashioned in briars, corn cobs and Falcons; in all it was the same, mild affair with a tendency to smoke hot and bite. Puffed slowly, there is little development throughout the bowl; maybe a touch more sweetness towards the end.

I probably won't buy this blend again, but that is not because of any failings of the tobacco as such; it's one of the best aromatics I have ever had the pleasure to smoke. Accordingly, highly recommended to the aromatics crowd.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I was given this tobacco by “Perris”, confirming my opinion that W.O. Larsen tobaccos are overestimated. A flat smoke containing Virginia, Burley and a light taste of caramel. It causes tongue bite. One of its positive elements is that it leaves a nice room note. For me, this tobacco is classified in one of the last positions of aromatic mixtures

Atom heart tobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Atom heart tobacco (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I'm not a friend of many words. It's too stressful for the readers. I have a simple additional pattern for all tobaccos like this:

I rank:

taste on the tongue - 4,0, flavor of smoke - 5,0 staying power (of taste) - 5,0 pain the tongue - 4,5 glow(down)behavior - 4,5

from 1 (very bad) to 6 (excellent)

Little remark of particularities: It's a own taste

classicrider21 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
classicrider21 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this blend to rather bland. The tobacco taste is lacking and so is the casing. There is no real flavor to this blend. Try WO Larsen's Signature blend instead.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This tobacco smells like aromatics but doesn't taste like them. It is very lightly cased, it tastes Virginia and Burley, more Virginia to be honest, Burns a little hot and tends to bite. Clearly good quality tobacco, but too bland for me. I gave away the tobacco and kept the box, it's beautiful.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'm a bit confused by some of the previous reviews. This is far from an English. There isn't any Balkan, oriental, or latakia. And this is certainly far from any cigarette tobacco! Ignorant Rubbish! This is simply well-aged Virginia/Burley cut into beautiful ribbons, with a truly sublime creamy topping. This is one of the few aromatics that taste as creamy as they smell. I agree with one reviewer that the smell reminds me of butterscotch.

I will say this, however: I compared Larson Old Fashioned with Captain Black Gold and found that CBG was not only a bit tastier, but cheaper by the ounce.

Angelos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angelos (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A pure virginia with some disadvantages.In my opinion,if you don't blend it with an aromatic tobacco,it's quite hard to smoke.it tends to bite.It tastes somehow like a good cigarette tobacco,which i don't enjoy in a pipe tobacco. If you blend it with latakia,you can get a very nice mixture. I prefer to smoke it in combination 50-50 with Brebbia romanza which is fruity and sweet.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Ugh! What's the point of this blend? It burns hot and has no taste at all. No matter how gently I puffed all I got was tongue bite.

Yet many other reviewers like it, so I think it's an example of different strokes for different folks. Although its definitely not for me: awful. Another tobacco that I will give to my wife to use as potpourri.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another W.O. Larsen fine smoke. Tin aroma is great. Room note is great. Packaging is beatiful, with a gold foil pouch inside. Burned quite nicely. Seems to have a bit more nicotine than other Larsen tins. Smoke it slow or get some bite.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Nice tin.

Otherwise, 100 grams of mediocre leaf cased with flavorless chemicals that smokes hot.

I feel tricked by all the positive reviews for this one.

Nice tin, though.

jvande7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvande7 (15)

Love the tin and packaging. Popped open the 100g tin to find a fancy shiny sealed gold pouch, and a delicious butterscotch aroma. Tin says "Mellow & Pleasant" on it. As far as aromatics go, this one is not overly flavored - it's a subtle flavoring that works REALLY well. The tobacco smells slightly of caramel and butterscotch, but it doesn't taste very much like that while smoking. It just tastes "good". Sorry I can't be more descriptive. It wasn't overly moist (in fact it was a bit on the dry side) but I did let it airdry for 10-15 mins before smoking. It smoked great, only one or two relights per bowl. Burned down to ash and did not leave my pipe with an overly wet bowl. I'd say this is a great aro for those that don't normally smoke aro's, but maybe get a hankering every now and then. Don't expect it to completely rock your world and blow your mind, but do expect a classy and very well blended treat. Above average stuff that I definitely plan to buy more of. In fact, I may have to try other WOL blends as this is my first experience with them. Oh, I did notice this blend has a bit more nicotine than other aromatics I've sampled.

rexinator26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rexinator26 (19)

This 4 year aged tin when opened had a light, smooth flowing creamy (carmel/nutty) aroma to it.Had no overpowering fragence to it.The tobacco packed well, lites well, smokes wonderfully.However there is something in this tobacco that keeps bugging my taste buds .This is great tobacco to try,but for me it was lacking something.

A nice, buttery caramel flavor! This is one of the 3 or 4 finest "true" aromatics I've ever smoked. I let it dry out to the point where I felt no moisture at all in the tobacco. That did tend to make it burn a little hotter than straight from the tin but that is how it performed at its best. Too wet, and the tobacco became steamy and the pipe gurgled. Dried out, this smoked almost like a straight virginia with just a hint of that caramel taste.

As others have mentioned, once you become enchanted with unflavored tobaccos, it's hard to spend a lot of time with aromatics, even one as well developed as this one. This one, as good as it is, still strives more towards the flavor of caramel than the flavor of tobacco (indeed, my definition of true aromatic is a tobacco that tastes more like its flavoring than like tobacco). However, this is one that is reasonably satisfying and can serve well as a special occasion or "dessert" tobacco... something for those times you just crave something extra-sweet! If you like aromatics, you cannot afford to pass this one by.

erickghint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erickghint (6)

What a wonderful aromatic. Sweet, but not too sweet, just enough flavoring to let you know it's there and not overwhelm the senses. I only smoke a couple of aromatics and this is one of them for just that reason. If you haven't tried Old Fashioned, you're really missing out.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

After the first bowl I thought I'd give this tobacco only one star. But, like an inquisitive tongue repeatedly revisiting a sore tooth, I kept on reaching for it, bowl after bowl, in an attempt to discover its mysteries.

After some time, I began appreciating the very thing that had originally put me off: its understatement. Old Fashioned is an extremely mild tasting and mild smelling tobacco. The pouch aroma is of extra-light raisins. When lit, the taste is of tea-like Virginia and the slightest hints of caramel, hazelnut and apricot. This is a tobacco for when you are in the mood for something light - for when your senses are so sharp that you don't need a slap in the face to appreciate that you are alive. It's akin to looking at a tiny, wimpy organism under a microscope and discovering its complexity. A pleasant surprise is the fullness of taste in the second half of the bowl: it changes from tea to coffee.

Throughout, nothing about this tobacco is overbearing. The taste is subtle, the room note is delicate - it smells of light Virginia, tea and caramel - and the aroma does not cling to the room. The volume of smoke tends to be small, which makes it a polite and gentlemanly tobacco to enjoy in the presence of non-smokers.

Not a regular smoke for me, but quite enjoyable on the rare occasions I find myself in the non-animal realm. Two stars because that doesn't happen often. Old Fashioned gets two stars too.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

If you are looking for a real tobacco taste as I do, this stuff will not satisfy you.

It needs to be dried a bit before packing. After that it will light easily. With slow puffing it offers a comfortable smoke. It tastes and smells like a sweet shop and can be a very nice experience for the beginners. The aromatic fans must give this a try.

After I began enjoying non aromatic tobaccos with natural and real tobacco taste, I don't miss this one. It is a one star tobacco for my taste. I've added the second star because it worths trying by the beginners and aromatics fans.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

On a scale of one to five, I would rate this blend a three. I agree with the previous reviewer that "it is easy to pack, smoke flows freely, burns well, etc. No bite, although a bit warm." It does tend to get soggy towards the bottom of the bowl, and perhaps letting it dry out for awhile before packing your pipe may help. But in all honesty, once you start smoking non-aromatic/non-flavored blends, it is hard to go back - even to this one, which is top of the line as far as aromatics go. Like other aromatics, it still leaves a chemically aftertaste in your mouth, which after smoking "pure" tobaccos, is something you prefer to avoid. But it does come in a very nice tin.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I've smoked several bowls of this tobacco, all in different pipes, in the last couple of days. Caramel, coffee and butterscotch layered smoothly - not sprayed over - an expert blending of a fine selection of Virginia leaf and of burley. Join the church of Larsen's Old Fashioned. To me, this aromatic stoved caramel and butterscotch pastry of a blend (or is it that the finest brewed Viennese coffee that I'm getting?) is an addictive and wondrously pleasant smoke. It tastes to me just like it smells in the bag. What's not to love: easy to pack, smoke flows freely, burns well, etc. No bite, although a bit warm, which is probably due to the taste stimulating more frequent puffing on my part. But you have to train yourself to smoke it slow, as it should be. It also benefits from some drying out time. I started in a "testing cob" and then in a meer. This rich, luxurious blend deserves a large bowled pipe. Let it be known that I do not like heavily cased aromatics. The aromatics that I do like are very few (McB's Navy Flake for one). OF has just become one of those few. YMMV.

Jesla Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jesla (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I think I have found the one weed I can't live without. I can smoke it all day and still crave for the taste of another bowl. Of course it would be an expensive tobacco and not available in bulk.......what to do.....what to do? Any type of review form me will certainly be biased. To me it's that good. For me, the thing about this weed is the buttery/caramel taste and effect that I get from it. It's almost like I have eaten a very fine dessert, but it is not really sweet. More what I'd call full tobacco flavor. Old Fashioned just gives me the feeling of satisfaction and that something really good happened to my pallet. I have noticed this to a much lesser extent in a few other tobaccos just not to this degree. W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned is obviously a very high quality weed. I get a fine tobacco taste, a wonderful oral sensation and a satisfaction from it that I have found nowhere else. I don't know what it is that oozes through the smoke the last half of a bowl but it's the Holy Grail for me. It has taken me only a little over a week to smoke nearly all of a 100g tin of this manna. I'll be out before any more can arrive. I hate going through withdrawal, it's going to be spiders everywhere in a few days.

The nic level must not be too high due to the fact I don't feel "over smoked" after repeated bowls, no prickly mouth or floppy brain. Well no more floppy than normal for me. Remember I said that I was biased in regards to this blend so keep that in mind should you undertake this adventure. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do. I don't think you will feel that it is money wasted even if you don't get the E ticket ride that I enjoy.

Gigilos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gigilos (24)

This is one of the best aromatics on the market. Its main merit is its non-imposing, delicate scent (nutty-creamy) which stays throughout smoking the bowl and renders a round though mild smoke. This is an all-day smoke that will not surprise nor shock but will offer a low-key, aromatic experience.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

What an aromatic ? it seems that this genre of tobacco doesn't get much better than this! Its aroma and its flavour, although full, are never overwhelming and never show a "darker side" of cheap artificial additives, like so many others do. Its taste is very much its own ? somewhere in between Earl Grey tea and very sweet Virginia tobacco. Room note harmless for non-smokers, delicious for smokers!

The only fault I find with it is truly irrelevant: the beautiful tin that holds it is not airtight...

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a very nice Danish semi aromatic with honey like topping and chocolate casing, mild sweet creamy and enjoyable. Not as good as WO Larsen Signature, but worth a try.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Mild Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I have to admit,like alot of Larsen tobaccos they all have a unique character.The Old Fashioned has a smooth blend of Virginias and Burleys which give a pleasant taste and nicely filling.The topping is a hint of chocolate with a taste of a richly buttered poundcake which accomodates a pleasant smoking experience,pure heaven as an aromatic..it's a shame it's not made anymore,my only gripe is that the tobacco isn't long burning,but who knows maybe it's me just savoring the flavor a little too quickly:)

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Old Fashioned is a singularly attractive aromatic. A mixture of broken flake and broadly cut tobacco in various shades of brown, it arrives at the perfect moisture level for loading into the pipe. The tin aroma is subdued, not at all aggressive or in your face.

It takes fire easily and burns drily, not needing many relights. The taste is tobacco with the added flavouring of chocolate and maple ( according to the insert) present noticeably but subtly. The tessitura, so to speak, is low which gives the smoke its weight. The mouth feel lingers pleasantly when the smoke is done. Four stars in the realm of aromatics, three in the wider universe of discourse.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (52)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The tin aroma is gently sweet, with coffee and creamy chocolate notes. Some times I pick up on a discrete fruity undertone. Certainly an appealing impression. The tin aroma does indeed promise a savoury smoke, and true enough, the tin description is right. This is a mellow and pleasant tobacco. Extremely smooth and well balanced.

I usually find myself smoking this while reading. It's very low maintenance and with excellent burning properties, which allows me to focus more on the book than the smoke. It seems to benefit from a larger bowled pipe and a tighter packing (a little bit like you would pack an english - the "Frank method" also works quite well, for those who like packing their pipes that way). Further more, it's incredibly easy on both tongue and palate. The room note is very pleasant and relaxing.

I do have a couple of (minor) problems with it, however. There is a licorice taste to it which I'm not always quite agreeing with, and I wouldn't have minded a little more body. But all in all, it is a very nice aromatic, which is quickly becoming one of my regulars.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)

This is a fine blend of very high quality tobaccos. If your into heavy english or a diehard VA/Per smoker, don't even bother. The Virginia appears throughout the blend as a medium dark rubbed out flake with a mixture of other tobaccos, some fine, some coarse, some ribbon cut. The reds and browns, blacks and yellows are thrill to look at in the sun light. As you may expect, this Danish tobacco smokes best in a large bowled pipe, such as a big Danish Freehand. The initial taste is sharp and you may wish to decide you don't like this tobacco right away. Don't! Tamp and relight and slowly sip this blend and you are in for a pleasant experience. It burns very well and I ofen set the pipe aside for a few minutes and return to a slow smoldering pipe that puffs up nicely without a relight an with a rewarding return of flavor that is hard to describe. The topping is present but stays in the background. This tobacco blend is what it says it is, nothing more-nothing less.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is one of my favorites! A real adventure of quality tobacco!

If you want to make a pipe smoker a present buy him this blend and make him a happy man!

This could easily be my desert island tobacco!!!

dimitrios Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dimitrios (2)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Perfect ! The most enjoyable tobacco in the world ? Maybe. It reminds me that tobacco doesn't have to stink, doesn't have to drive your wife mad and should be above all a pleasure. Latakia lovers not welcome!

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)

Long story short: I just tried a bowlfull late at night and I am hooked. I agree that this is the perfect one for an after dinner puff. The heavier the dinner the better!!!!

I promise to comment again after a few bowls - or after I finish the tin. (Which might take some time: "Ultimate Luxury", as the blend series title goes, perfectly describes it. Hence one should indulge sparingly - just out of reverence for the high quality!)

raz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raz (16)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A nice, refined blend from W.Ö. Larsen.

Quality tobaccos in a light, oh so light blend. But a good one at that.

The slightly bitter chocolate taste mentioned in the other reviews is there, alternating with a lovely, toasted (tea-like?) taste and a morning-coffee-like aroma (I personally don't like the taste of coffee, but its aroma suits me fine - like here). This one won't overpower your palate, quite the contrary.

The tea-room feeling comes to the fore quite often and proves equally enjoyable to the more candy-like aspects.

When outdoors, the more earthy notes come through much more pronounced, so this blend provides some variety there, too.

I'd say this is a perfect mixture for contemplative after-dinner moments. Makes a good compliment to a Christmas dinner too. Relax and smoke easy. (I.E. focus on the taste, and you'll get a great bowlfull out of this one).

Since it is very mild and light you need to check your puffing, as tongue-bite is just around the corner when going too fast.

I smoke it on occasion and would recommend this as a sidekick to an after dinner espresso.

UPDATE: For some reason or another, this one was left on the shelf for a while. And I only got back to it now in the Summer (04) time. I've been neglecting this one! A nice, finely refined quality tobacco. When the mood's (or the food's) right, this is superbly agreeable, and has that very relaxing "air" to it.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Old Fashioned belongs to Larsen?s ?fancy-tin-range?, a series of very mild and light aromatic tobaccos, presented in wonderful tins, most of them depicting late XIXth Century illustrations. The illustration in this case represents a street scene in a market square, probably in Copenhagen, in a sepia background, stamped over a dark brown rectangular tin box.

Most of the tobaccos in this range are very mild and sweet, and have not much in common with the Selected Blend or the Master?s Blend range. I believe the former are designed for intermittent smokers who rarely light up a pipe, and then mainly to aromatize their surroundings or create a nice room atmosphere. The tins, on the other hand, are very attractive, useful to keep coins, pens or small papers inside, and collectable (they look great on a desktop or on a coffee table).

Personally I don?t like these tobaccos because I find them rather bland and lacking in character. However there are two exceptions: Old Tradition, and Old Fashioned.

Old Fashioned is a delightful mellow blend, very rich and tasty, with a hint of a hazelnut topping, rather discreet, which does not interfere with the tobacco taste. A traditional composition of Virginias, Burleys (some ready rubbed, others in flake or broken cake form) and some Cavendished leaf, it can deliver a fine smoke if puffed slowly and carefully. Remember, this is a very mild blend, but the taste and the richness of the composition is worth the effort.

Perhaps the tobacco that most resembles this excellent blend is Robert Mc Connell's Special London Mature (mixture), though even McConnell´s seems to me milder than Old Fashioned. The taste, texture and aroma, however, are quite similar. A quiet smoke, very nice, with a nutty Burley presence underlining the smooth Virginia sweetness. If every now and then you fancy a light aromatic smoke with enough tobacco flavour to enjoy it, give this one a try. You won't regret it....(and if you do, at least you get to keep the tin!) 03/05

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)

I tried a small sample pouch a colleague brought back from Germany(shame that these are not available here in the Great White North).

This blend is a very mild aromatic blend which burns well and has a flavor with notes of raisins, fruitiness and vanilla, but these flavours are unobtrusive, very light and fleeting. It does not overwhelm and because of its virginia composition, I do find it satisfying as a real smoke, when compared to many other heavily cased aromatics. As other reviewers here have mentioned, it can burn hot unexpectadly with the careless strong draw. I would rate it an HPH 1.5. Burns down to a salt & pepper ash,

I would gladly keep some of this around, though it is not available readily around my locale. It doesn't stand out as an archetypal tobacco, so I won't be searching through the hills for a tin.

Newsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newsman (9)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I get this tobacco recently. I smoke aromatics mostly, but I really like this one. It have some coffee/chocolaty flavoring with sweet taste. Sometimes you get your tongue bitten, but only if you puff to quickly:) I didnt try pure Virginia yet, (I am new piper:)) but I guess that I can tell Virginia in this one:)

Very pleasing tobacco.