A blend of mature Orange Virginia tobaccos from the Old Belt in Virginia and North Carolina. The blend is lighted pressed into tobacco cakes, which are stored for aging. After cutting, the tobacco is rubbed out to facilitate easy filling of the pipe and an even burn. The tobacco burns exceptionally well with a cool smoke and a well-balanced and supreme natural taste.

BrandW.O. Larsen
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I would go ape over this tobacco if it carred more power in its smoking presentation. I just could not be satisfied due to the light nicotine and flavor content.

I did detect a slight casing of some sort, but it was not at all obtrusive. I did enjoy the coolness of the smoke, and it had a very pleasant odor both in the tin and at the match.

If you enjoy Virginia tobacco in lighter doses, try Old Belt. I think you'll think you discovered manna from heaven.

If, on the other hand, you don't like being teased, look elsewhere for your pipe smoking satisfaction.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I don't know if I got a bad tin perhaps, but the tin note (which has unfortunately been preserved in my jar) has a chemical quality which reminds me, I have finally determined, of wet paint. When I dry out a portion to smoke, this unpleasant scent goes away, and is not present in the actual smoking of the bowl. I am thankful at least for that. I don't really sense the alleged topping others have noted. I really wanted to like this one, and have given it several chances in different pipes, using varied smoking rates and techniques, and though I can't call it bad tobacco, it has failed to impress me. It smokes fast and somewhat harsh no matter what I do. Just now, an amount of tobacco that would have lasted me well over an hour had it been a nice McClelland or even a nice MacBaren was burned away in less than 40 minutes, and I wasn't puffing heavily or heating up my pipe. This particular bowl was pretty dry (taken out of the jar, it dries very rapidly) and finely rubbed out, and smoked in my favorite billiard (a no-name!), but still there were problems with the burn. Now, relights are fine; I will often rest a pipe, flatten the ash with my tamper, and start again, but in this case, the going out was neither intentional nor desired.

The blend would seem to be fully lit, burning away profusely despite my attempts to smoke with care, and then would suddenly "hit the wall" like a marathoner at mile 17 or so, and abruptly fail right between puffs. The taste is not all that bad, I guess, but obviously I won't be reaching for this one all that often. Maybe some time in the jar will help. It's also not bad enough to throw away, it just doesn't have the pleasant natural sweetness of my favorite Virginias. I get no bite from it, but I do get a harsh mouthfeel such as one would associate with an originally good quality, yet stale cigarette, and I must say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I've sort of got the feeling I might like to brush my teeth right now; I guess there are some healthy benefits to this weed.

Again, I might have been unfortunate enough to have simply picked up a bad tin or a bad batch. Remember how I said at the beginning that the tin note reminds me of wet paint? The tin is of the paint-tin genre of tobacco tins. Maybe they forgot to fully purge my tin of its original contents...

One can't love everything.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was recommended to this by the Tinderbox folk Pyroboby mentioned. They seemed bewildered when I asked for a "non-flavored" mild and simple, cavendish-free tobacco. So much for their entire stock of jars. The manager thought a bit and produced a tin of this from a hiding place (sorry, buddy, he'll reorder). The name put me off, all I could think of was the razor strop used for discipline in my youth. I tried it anyway, muttering at the price, gambling on something unheard of (not yet knowing about this list). Glad I did.

This was my first and still favorite virginian tobacco. I LIKE mild. I like the sweet rolling flavor that changes with puffing intensity. No aging was necessary; just a bit of drying. I must have a sensitive tongue. Virtually every tobacco has bitten me despite very careful packing and puffing, this bites very little. The flavors intensify as the bowl progresses until about 1/5 is left and then turn somewhat acrid. Could be the pipe.

I've since stocked up on a half dozen various tinned tobaccos more highly rated than this, of different varieties. It is fun trying them, but this will be my keeper for straight virginias, my "comfort food". Cigarette smokers respect the smell and non-smokers wish cigarettes smelled like this. No vanilla, no soap, no bubblegum. There may be a casing, but I don't want to know. Subtle is good. Pipestud was right, this is my manna.

pyroboby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pyroboby (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Im new to tinned blends and was suggested to try this blend out. It felt like a huge step for me, moving up from the tobacco jars at Tinder Box, which by the way I find the one in Mishawaka, IN to be great. When i got the tin home, I went over it went over it several times at home looking at this new beauty. As soon as the foil seal was broken I was met by a wonderfully tangy smell that was reminisent of Lipton instant lemon ice'd tea. On first touch of flame a sweet and very mild taste that i could only place as natural uncased tobacco assailed my mouth and it was wonderful. I love aromatics, but this was awesome. No tongue bite, which get fairly often if i dont let the jarred stuff air for a few days. I am now very interested in sampling other VA and not so aromatic blends. Great stuff. My eyes have been opened.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is an extremely mellow, smooth and soothing Virginia blend. High grade leaf, very well processed and with the right amount of moisture (typical Larsen quality), it has a gentle, almost hidden almond like sweetness that, nonetheless, retains all the natural flavour of tobacco.

Ribbon cut, with some broken flake, it is a pleasant combination of mid to light browns, with some reddish hues. Opening the tin you get a very faint whiff of that tangy Virginia smell (close to, but not as evident as Rattray?s Old Gowrie or Brown Clunee, and definitely more subtle than any McClelland?s). It is very easy to pack (gravity method) and lights quickly and well. It smokes cool and dry and leaves the pipe walls and inner stem clean. The whole experience is very mild, fresh and palatable, with no tongue bite.

The only drawback I fin in Old Belt is that it lacks a bit more of body and punch. Other than that, I agree this could be an all day Virginia smoke: discreet, refined and amiable.

Andersson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andersson (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is good for starter. A good taste of pure virginia without flavouring so enough to fall in love with the pipe.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is indeed a light, fresh, Virginia blend. It is very easy on the palette. I believe I detect a light apricot topping, and something else I can't quite define. It is very discreet, and in no way ruins the mild, sweet, tobacco taste. I can see this as an excellent hot weather smoke, but would be good at any time. If you crave full, rich, or very sweet Virginias, this is not for you. This stuff arrived at the perfect moisture content, and smoked cool, dry and biteless. It is not complex, but it does have subtle nuances. The room note is very mild and fresh as well. I will definitely pick up some more. This reminds me very much of what a McClelland blend would taste like, without the vinegar.