A superb blend of golden Virginia tobaccos spiced with Louisiana Perique. Pressed in cakes and aged before it's cut into delicate slices. To this medium strength flake is added rum to enhance the round and natural tobacco taste.

BrandW.O. Larsen
ContentsVirginia, Perique
Strength
Taste
2.5
Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)

I seem to remember this one being alright really. Not seen it lately though.

Like our friendly and esteemed Danish reviewer below, I found a slow puffing cadence to be necessary to keep this Navy Flake cool and dry. It did have a tendency to bite and that put me off to the point where I actually tossed the tin in the trash which is something I seldom do.

I will usually give a blend more opportunities to get on base, but sometimes you just gotta go with your instincts.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is quite a stout flake from W.O Larsen. You'd might call it the older brother to Shamrock and Flake Cut from the same company, but without the topping. The Virginia used here is bright orange; it says Périque on the tin, but I could only detect a smidgen if any.

At first, one might think this one quite bland, but after a few bowls and a slow puffing cadence, it is there: Sweet rich VA with a bit more nicotine than in Shamrock.

Like Brown Clunee from Rattray's, Navy Flake demands a slow smoke. If you do not smoke this really, really slow, the taste and aroma will not reveal itself properly. Navy flake is not in my rotation since I tend to like English Flakes better, but if you are into Danish flakes, give this one a go and see if you can tame it and make it behave the way you want. For me, it is good tobacco but somehow a challenge to smoke properly.

=== Jakob kiilerich, Denmark ===

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

All though I have not smoked this one for a while, it is a very good flake: dark brown, easy to rub out and equally easy to pack in a medium size bowl. I have always thought that Larsen takes great care with the quality of its tobaccos, and this is no exception.

This flake is not moist, but fresh. When lightening, the tobacco burns smooth and dry. The first thing I noticed was the piquant taste of Perique. It was my first encounter with this tobacco, and I found it exceedingly spicy, and to a certain extent piquant, to the point I didn?t notice the Virginias! The second thing was that the added rum aroma virtually vanished after the first few puffs, and was never present as an aromatic/flavour element. Non the less, it is a tasty smoke. By mid bowl, the Virginias have tempered the Perique, and the--for me--more familiar taste of traditional tobacco appears.

From then on, it was a long lasting joy. It leaves the pipe clean, with a dull grey ash. Recommended to all Va/P smokers. If not one of the best flakes of its kind, at least well worth trying.