Special flake squares make this tobacco unusual and attractive.

BrandW.O. Larsen
Strength
Taste

2.9
Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)

Larsen's No.32 is another old favourite of mine. High quality bright Virginias spun and cut into attractive rectangles. This tobacco rubs out easily and burns wonderfully providing a smooth creamy smoke with a subtle caramel aroma and zesty tobacco flavor. I have smoked many tins of this over the years and will never tire of it. For those who cannot get No.32 for any reason, Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake is absolutely identical.

Unusual stuff, this. Tobacco rolled, and then pressed, as can be seen on opening the tin.

Speaking of which, the tin note is typical of good VA, with more than just a hint of a citrus (I'd say orange) topping. Works well with VA, as seen in many other blends. In the tin are slices of a squared-off roll-up of leaf; quite unique and, for me at least, optically enticing. I treat it like I would a roll cut; two pieces to a large bowl work well.

Lights up well, sweet sweet VA, similar in taste to Timm No Name Gold (which is an Orange-flavoured VA flake), a rather surprisingly cool burn for a VA blend, and no dottle left at the end--overall, good stuff, and the first Larsen blend I can fully recommend.

albo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albo (8)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Love this stuff. Wonderful flake that rubs well. Great mix of flavours and has a real nicotine hit that I havent got with other supposedly strong tobaccos on here. It really makes you nod off of an evening.

Highly reccommended

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Nice sweet Virginia taste with caramel flavor.The flavor is not too strong and it serves as a foil for the tobacco.But we have to be attentive to keep cool smoking to enjoy this as nice stuff. Rich tobacco flavor with a bit of sweetness and moderate strength.This is my type.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)

A mixed bag of reviews indeed!

My initial impression was too much casing overpowering the virginia, but a little way in it seemed to balance out and become a bit more palletable. I'm not a fan of heavily cased tobaccos and what I found interesting was that the virginia flavour was still able to overcome the sauce with citrus/hay notes emerging throughout the smoke. A tad too sweet for me, but moisture was perfect from the tin and it smoked to a relatively fine white ash. Bites a bit if pushed too hard - exercise caution.

Overall, I can understand the mixed bag of reviews. I can't quite make up my own mind on this one, but I can live without it, so periodic re-visits perhaps, but not on my regular rotation list.

Eagleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eagleman (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

As with all my reviews I note my sense of smell is poor and hence my "room note" recorded as "unnoticeable".

A mixed bag of reviews indeed. I wonder why? This is actually a very high quality virginia tobacco. It is tastier by far than the bland and inconsequential Sam Gawith FVF and just about most other virginias out there today. It is similar to Orlik's Golden Slices but better and tastier. It is made by Orlik in Denmark but is a grade above Golden Slices.

To be honest I really can't understand many of the Reviews below but...as always with pipe tobacco...whatever floats your boat. Well, I can tell you, this baccy floats mine. If you are a quality virginia fan - try it.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It has that typical danish honey taste, albeit mild, but also has some quality VA hay and citrus flavors in there too, the casing is sweet but not over powering...a nice Danish, presentaion of the flakes is wonderful,...worth 3 stars...but IMO, could never be worth 4, nice but a little bland.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Smell of caramel candy cookies, taste is a straight hayish virginia, with a hint of the candy topping. Nice cut, very good burning properties.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

There are times when only a steak will do, and there are times when a salad is most satisfying. Curly Flake is like a salad:light but satisfying. After a bowl of Stonehaven or Marlin Flake or FVF it may taste of nothing, but on a fresh palate it registers the natural sweetness of virginia as the principal sensation. Not the most complex of tobaccos, it is not mono-chromatic either. Immaculately crafted, dry and slow burning, moderate in nicotine, Curly Flake earns no superlatives but nevertheless remains a pleasurable prelude to heavier stuff later in the day.

Jeremiah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremiah (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As you can see by my ratings, I am a fan. I would like to add that I have only been smoking a pipe for about 2 1/2 years and refer to myself as a relative novice. That said, I know about tobacco. I have smoked fine Havana cigars as well as Dominican, Jamaican, Honduran etc for years. What I don't have, nor choose to use yet is too much pipesmoking jargon. That said, this particular blend stands out as a high quality tobacco, and when I find a high quality tobacco, I tend to switch pipes to best enjoy it, as I have with this one. The thing is, this tobacco is to pipes, as a Havana cigar is to the its contemporaries outside Cuba. There is a great deal of complexity and subtlety in this smoke, but you have to stay with it. There are definite notes of pepper and molasses on the pure tobacco side with a pleasing amount of vanilla, rum and cherry when it comes to aromas. I do not agree with it being mild, and would suggest that the other reviewers probably spend too much time smoking two dimensional, cheaper tobacco. This has strength, aroma, sweetness and a nice kick of nicotene, all from Larsen who posess a great pedigree in blending tobaccos.

Greenwell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greenwell (2)

A very interesting cut, the squares have a lovely marbled look. The smell upon opening is like rich soil but with a slightly sweet undercurrent. The moisture level is just right. The tin art is simple and very appealing only slightly marred by the huge smoking kills in black letters.

The curly flake breaks up very easily if you choose to rub it out. I alternate between rubbing out and just stuffing it in which also works well. I find two squares to be the right amount.

When the match hits it, it always takes me a second to figure out when it is lit, it is that mild a smoke. At first you notice a slightly acid flavour but that fades fast. I don?t recommend smoking this in a pipe with a filter, as I don?t get much out of it with filters. The flavouring is very mild, but I feel that it is a good relaxing smoke, and if you stick with it becomes more complex and rewarding. While the nicotine content is not high, you should feel it by the end of the bowl, unless your regular smoke is Dunhill?s nightcap, in which case I suggest you slap a couple of nicotine patches on while you smoke this and most other blends. The room note is bland and will not elicit much comment, which can be a good thing. It seems to get a little moist by the end but that could be a issue with the smoker.

Overall an interesting smoke, not one I would keep on hand but I will certainly indulge in from time to time.

3 out of 5

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Rather attractive squares of curly flakes, of a light brown colour. A vanilla aroma drifts over the fruity Virginia smell. Its fun to rub, releasing the aroma even more, packs easily and lights with no difficulty. The flavour is pleasant, sweetish but extremely mild, rather like one of the really fruity Virginia flakes with a hint of vanilla flavouring. It has a very pleasant room note, the smell of the virginias goes well with the vanilla. Its a really high quality tobacco, excellent if you like a mild flavour, but personally I find it a little too mild. It is unusual, and interesting to see what a Danish blender can do to a Virginia tobacco, the casings are far more subtle than in the other Danish blends I've tried. Very enjoyable, but does not make me want to smoke lots more of it.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Oomph! A bucket of sticky casing sauce just hit my head, and now my breathing organs are galvanized with gooey Danish candy-like flavouring. This is indeed a weird flake. It is the devil dressed as an angel, because the looks of the bright/orange VA is absolutely beautiful and it carries quite an amount of Nic. (that was the angel) Here comes the devil: It burns hot, it does not taste like tobacco at all, It is foul, foul weed indeed!! Even Virginia Flake from MacBaren would go as "natural" compared to this one.

Steer clear of this evil blend, unless you like heavy Danish aromatics made as flakecut..Yuck!!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

CURLY Flake NO32. APRIL 2004. Even though this flake is mild it still carries a delicious flavour of virginia.Nothing,nasty here at all. I enjoy this as it does not demand attention.Rubbing out really well though produces the full flavour.Also very good for pipesters who wish to move away from aromatics.Lights easily & highly enjoyable & smokes down to a very nice clean grey-white ash. If you you enjoy virginias or looking for a virginia that does not bite! Then definitely try this.Very pure,indeed.

Andrey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andrey (3)

On opening the tin, I feel citrous flavour a little fermented, and odour of high quality Virginia. The tin label says that this blend consists of the finest lemon and orange colored Virginia tobaccos from the best district in the U.S.A. and Zimbabwe, of which I was convinced. As other reviewers states above, I also think there is no Burley, which is exceptional among the Danish blend. On lighting tobacco, I feel sweetness of Virginia, and a little nutty flavour. Refined taste of Danish tradition! Without rubbed sufficiently, you will need light it several times. Yet, I prefer smoking this without fully rubbed. And I chose a medium sized pipe for this blend, because I feel that smoking with a large sized pipe weakens it's peculiar taste. Though Danish, if you like Virginian taste itself, this blend is worth trying.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Just as it is said a driver needs to check the rev counter to see that his Rolls Royce is running. A quick glance at the funnel end of the pipe is required to make sure this flake is still burning. This is the mildest pipe tobacco I have ever smoked and although it is obviously a well made flake and is nice enough to rub. The blandness to the point of boredom is the nature of this one. Good for tenderhooves.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A tobacco very similar in composition, strength and flavour to Orlick?s Golden Sliced. The difference is in the cut, and perhaps in that it doesn?t have that Burley component. These are very attractive flakes, cut in small squares, with varying tones of light brown tobacco. As all Larsen?s, the grades used in 32 Curly Flake are of the highest quality. It is easy to rub and pack, and lightening is not a problem. It produces a very mild, yet flavoursome smoke, long lasting and quite cool. If there is a casing or an added flavour, it is not apparent. For me, it is a good mid-afternoon smoke, that tastes great with Earl Grey or Orange Peacock tea. I?ve smoked it in a Peterson System and a Savinelli Milano with great results. Smokers of stronger Virginia flakes (Best Brown, Full Virginia, Light Flake or Marlin Flake), may perhaps find this a rather bland and unmemorable smoke. However, if just starting with a pipe or just wanting to try something on the lighter, smoother side, try this one. Not a bad experience.