Golden Virginia from North Carolina and top grades of tobaccos from Brazil, Malawi, Mexico and Zimbabwe with an addition of Black Cavendish are blended with the greatest care. A blend which by its pleasant flavor ensures many hours of comfortable and enjoyable relaxation to the pipe smoker.

BrandW.O. Larsen
Taste

2.3
meerschaum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaum (8)

On the up side, this is a nice tobacco, well made and well balanced with lots of character. On the down side, for me, the above does not necessarily constitute a reason to smoke this tobacco again.

Relatively thick flavours that leave you with a feeling which is similar to the feeling you get after having eaten a very stodgy cake, like a wedding cake (extreme example). I prefer slightly lighter aromatics, but that is a personal opinion.

Pipe Used: L´Anatra Poker

Galbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Galbreath (5)

The first thing you note is the beautiful tin it comes. Opening the pouch reveals a very sweet fruit cake smell. When smoking the taste of figs with a hint of vanilla shines though. The after taste is nice with the taste of fig newtons and sweet virginia tabaccy. If you have ever chewed Levi Garrett you will enjoy this smoke. It does not leave the creaminess in my mouth that other aromatics I smoke does but that could be due to the amount of wetness it has. I recommend a good dry time and some rubbing before smoking. Also, as others have noted if you smoke it fast it will bite horribly. Take your time and enjoy it slowly. This will also help it burn cooler and allow more sweetness to come though. Overall, it is something I would buy a couple times per year but not all the time.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This Danish aromatic comes in one of the handsomest tins in captivity: an oval étui displaying an old polychrome of the harbour of Copenhagen, sailships under the blue sky.

Inside is a goldfoil bag such as chocolate truffles are presented in, filled with broken cake the colour of dark gold. The whole thing is très de luxe !

The main aromatic compound is that of fruits, cherry in particular. This is not a synthetic flavouring piled on with an industrial trawl, as in some popular mixtures that we all know. The casing has been discreetly and carefully applied, so that it constitutes a subtle redolence, more than an overwhelming presence. It is only when a larger piece of cake catches fire that the hint of cherry is noticeable, and quite pleasant.

Most important for an aromatic, the casing does not mask the taste of tobacco. Here a lemony note, suprisingly tart, is quite clean and refreshing, and perfectly complemented by the fruit casing.

As an English smoker, I frankly find this kind of mild aromatic extremely bland. Yet I think the fragrance is bound to please the ladies, and the taste, lovers of cavendish confections, even if I, personally, would rather look at the tin than smoke what's inside it!

Abadakus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Abadakus (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's not the worst of aromatics. Not too heavily cased, not too hot or biting. But seems to me to lack some character both in flavoring and tobacco departments. If you are a fan or aromatics, you might give it a try. But don't be surprised if you'll find it quite plain and boring.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A very nice not overly cased aro, a good traditional pipe smokers blend. Good quality leaf.

caninjpn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caninjpn (5)

This is a nice 'clean' aromatic with cedar/wood hints that doesn't leave your tongue coated in syrup. If you like 'dryish' tasting aromatics try it as it might be for you (although I suggest using a fresh pipe to catch all it has to offer.) Stay away from it if you don't like aromatics because this is unlikely to change your mind.

'She who must be obeyed' loves the room note. You won't make enemies with 'Classic' unless you smoke it too fast and then your tongue is going to HATE you!

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)

A nice aromatic, not the best of WO Larsen (which for me is Signature Vintage Mixture). Golden Virginias, some Burley. A beautiful and somewhat a luxury pipe tobacco. To be smoked carefully & slowly otherwise you might feel tongue bite. A woody flavoring which is pleasant (a little like santal). I agree that I would not make big efforts to find some more, but I will finish slowly, during some afternoons, the 100 grams nice tin.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

This is rather a nice aromatic. The tobacco comes at the right level of moisture and is a delight to handle. The aroma is not abtrusive and not feminine. In fact the aroma and the taste put me in mind, somewhat fleetingly, of Dunhill`s Royal Yacht - if you can imagine a cube root of the Royal Yacht flavour, you can imagine one facet of the experience of Larsen`s Classic. It burns impeccably.

This is not a mixture that I would go searching for (I don`t suppose I would go searching for any aromatic, for that matter), but if nothing else was available I would smoke it without regret.

Recommended to smokers of aromatics, and to collectors of handsome tins.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)

I know that Orlik makes Larsen so they must have messed things up with this one...

This blend is more of a SKANDINAVIK REGULAR with something else..!

Its not bad at all but not worthy of holding the LARSEN name on it..!

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

It is probably too early to comment on this. Anyhow, my ratings are meant to be interpreted as "nothing special".

Perhaps it will improve if I let it stand and breathe somewhat...

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When reviewing aromatic tobaccos, it is only fair to compare them to other blends of the same genre. So, that is why I am giving Larsen Classic a 3-star rating.

This aromatic is very, very, very aromatic both in flavor and room bouquet. It also had somewhat of a tobacco taste deep in the background. And, for an aromatic, it burned quite cool.

Those of my briar brothers and sisters who are consistant aromatic smokers may thoroughly enjoy this Danish offering.

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

well the wife liked it, but I went to the local headshop and found her a comperable insence that did not make my toungh crackle like bacon on a skillet. There was more pain than savoring for me in this blend. It burned poorly and had verrry little taste.

Pavel Van Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pavel Van (1)

This tabacco is no doubt a quality one, very aromatic. Though being highly aromatic could not be a prove of quality, the good balance in mouth and the elegant expression of a series of vanilla, toasted hazelnuts, creaminess, smoked pine-cedar wood notes could be a remark of the term "classic".

I suggest to have this tobacco smoked at a lower temperature and a slower pace in order to experience the complexity. I've felt that a more compact filling could enhance the strength in the mouth, but the layers of the flavoring might not be unfolded in a whole-scale way as when lightly-and-slowly burned. This tobacco requires careful smoking. Its nuances could easily be ignored, wasted, or even destroyed when we taste it without care. Sit down and enjoy it, that is a way to enjoy and show respect to a delicate tobacco like this.

This tobacco could receive negative comments such as being too creamy or too weak. However, it shows rather good quality when judged from a more or less objective point of view.

sea otter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sea otter (3)

Loved the packaging. Tobacco bit. Even smoking this very slooowly in a meerschaum, after three puffs it was ouch time. Don't even think of smoking this with something distilled.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I am an English smoker that prefers more natural tobaccos, so this one was simply a dissapointment. The casing and flavor is really heavy on the citrus side. The casing on this blend, like the others in the collector series, causes me great bite. I prefer many robust Latakia blends, blends heavy on perique, and many of those offered by Gawith and Hoggart. Nothing I've smoked up to this point has yeilded such bite. I bought this blend inorder to venture into the aromatic world but, that scene just isn't for me. The tobacco is of great quality, and the presentation is beautiful, but taste is what I'm after and this one offered little in return.

2ley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
2ley (11)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've been lucky enough in the recent past to receive some of this marvelous tobacco.

Now, I've grown a lot less fond of aromatics over the past year. I still like Blue Note, and I still smoke some of the others, but English and Orientals, Perique and Latakia have all seized me in their grips.

Then, along comes this pretty tin, with an aromatic that doesn't leave my throat tasting like an old fireplace, and that has a nice taste in my mouth. Sweet, without being cloying, rich without being heavy.

So, I've now found a great morning smoke, or a smoke for when I'm around others who might find the Latakia too much to handle.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A member of the Larsen?s ?fancy tin club?, I bought Classic because amongst its ingredients it purports to use tobaccos from Mexico. Though in Mexico there are a number of regions in which the climate, soil, sunshine hours, and humidity conditions are similar to some of the best tobacco growing regions inthe world (including Cuba), none of the local pipe tobacco blends remotely taste like anything you would like to smoke more than once. So I decided to give Classic a try, to see how well the native leaf fared under Scandinavian blending techniques.

Needless to say, this is a top quality blend, contrasting both in structure and leaf colour, with an elegant and gentle aroma, IMO reminiscent of dried fruits with a touch of figs and dark, unsweetened chocolate. Not too moist, it is easy to pack as it is from the tin. Neither cool nor hot, it smokes fairly well but does need some relights, probably on account of the Cavendish, which also produces some gurgle by the end of the bowl. I agree with the esteemed Eulenburg in that the casing is very discreetly applied and does not mask the tobacco flavour (something which is common to virtually all Larsen?s aromatics).

As to strength and overall denouement, this blend is tasty enough to woo a certain degree of attention, but not entirely satisfying (one has the impression that something is missing there, the touch of a stronger leaf, perhaps?) nor memorable. As I pointed out in another Larsen review, it is more a ?parlour smoke? (e.g., when in the company of mature, tea drinking ladies, or at a diplomatic reception, so as to not offend anyone), than a proper pipe experience one would be eagerly willing to repeat. Otherwise, it is a classy tobacco, very nice and civilised.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

To be completely honest, this is a very high quality danish aromatic, and had I smoked this a while back I probably would have enjoyed its mild aromatic flavor.

As the above reviewer has already pointed out the tin is by far the high point of this blend. It is quite simply the most beautiful tin I have come across to date. Inside the tin the lovely golden pouch hints to something special inside, and I should have left it at that.

But alas, I had to open that lovely golden bag, to be greeted by the classic fruit scent of a danish aromatic. Knowing that I would probably never enjoy such a creation I persisted.

I must be honest, it was not as bad as I expected. As noted by the esteemed EULENBURG (whose reviews I do so enjoy), the predominant flavor is tobacco with a slight cherry backdrop.

This would probably be a wonderful tobacco for the aromatic smoker looking for a quality smoke without the soggyness of so many of the tobaccos in this family. Being an english smoker, this just did nothing for me. (At least I get to keep the tin)