A Continental flake employing the use of lighter bodied flue-cured Virginias and aromatic Burley leaf. A small element of Tanzanian fired leaf is added to round off the smooth, subtle aroma. Processed to produce a firm flake, this blend is mild yet cool with the continental taste and aroma associated with Dutch style blends.

Notes: Originally a Dutch tobacco, Troost Slices is now produced by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

BrandVan Rossems
CountryNL
Strength
Taste

3.2

The flue cured Virginias are grassy/hay-like, lightly bready with a mild tangy citrus and honey taste. There is a very bare spice note which likely comes from the Tanzanian fired leaf. The burley is mildly earthy and nutty with a minor chocolate hit, though the Virginia is a more obvious component. The topping may have a little honey as well, though the butterscotch is more noticeable. Hardly any nicotine to speak of. In some ways, it sort of reminds me of a lighter version of Orlik Golden Slices with a different topping. Slightly aromatic and creamy smooth, the flakes are a little moist and break apart with ease. Burns slowly, requires some relights, but the flavor holds to the finish. Leaves very little moisture and won’t bite. The after taste is pleasant and lingers just a little.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a sample of 6 flakes or so from a friend. I found it a mild and undistinguished somewhat generic VaBur with more burley than Virginia in the flavor profile. It was a pleasant smoke with a subtle slightly sweet topping I could not identify. I rubbed mine out and it had good burn qualities. It is a good smoke but not especially exciting.

Laafke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laafke (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When I began smoking I smoked the Dutch (aromatic) tobacco's. But I was never satisfied, too much flavour, too little flavour, smoking hot, sharp on the tongue. I had seen Troost slices but I didn't dare to buy a tin. Then somebody learned how to fill your pipe with a flake (Knick, falt, screw) I'lightened my tobacco and was completely surprised of the taste. Of course I had to learn smoking flakes. But pipe after pipe it was going better. Since a year of two I nearly only smoke Troost Slices. If you got the chance, try a tin. It is unbelievable that this tobacco is only available in the Netherlands.

Pipe Used: Briar, Clay, Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 0-5 yeqrs

Purchased From: Local dealers

Similar Blends: None, this is a unique tobacco..

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Troost Slices that I smoked were the original Van Rossems from the late 1980s or early 1990s and not the STG remake. The original was a delicious combination of Virginia and Burley with a very discreet and natural top coat that lended itself to the richness of the presentation. A much stronger nicotine hit than the current production and a real depth of flavor that can only be provided by top-shelf leaf. A wonderful blend and I see why this one was in such demand "back in the day."

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

If I could have just one tobacco....I'd take three, and Troost Slices would be one of them!

If there are any pouches of this lingering in the shops, pass them by. They are a poor imitation. I have forgotten which particular conglomerate owns Van Rossem's recipes (it's the one that owns Dunhill, Lane, et al), but they haven't yet managed to bugger up the tinned version of Slices. There is still that baking bread, slightly spicy, chocolatey-burley, delicious Virginia flavour. I have found that as well as the requirement to smoke only the tinned version, a clean pipe is very important for full enjoyment. Some year I'll dedicate a pipe or two to this flake. Which I'm sure will single-handedly cause it's demise.

There are enough four star reviews for Troost Slices to make this addition superfluous. Except I know the best place to get more of this manna! So far, my experience with amsterdam-cigars.com has been wonderful, so I won't change. While you're at it, if you're feeling the slightest bit adventurous, do try the Troost "Baai" tobacco. Also very tasty, and quite different.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I used to smoke Cavendish tobaccos back when I was a fan of Amphora Brown and I thought I would try this. I was given it in a trade so I don't know how old it is but judging from the moisture level and condition, I don't think it is very old, maybe a year or two. First the color is mostly a medium brown with a few darker colors mingled throughout and it came in a somewhat thick flake that rubbed out pretty easily. It had a sweet honey like pouch aroma and the moisture was such I let the package remain open and let it dry for a day. Once rubbing out, I had a ready rubbed mixture that packed pretty well into my pipe. I was able to light it on the first attempt as the first light had considerable rise to it. I lightly tamped and relit and settle back to a nice smoke. The flavor in this blend is medium in strength, has a nice mild honey like flavor, and the VA in it was the dominant flavor and room note with the burley adding body and fullness to the smoke. Gentle puffing provided a nice smoke with a touch of sweetness but if I puffed at a faster pace, it provided a little harshness and could be a tongue biter for some. It did smoke clean all the way down to the bottom of the pipe with just a touch of dottle mixed in with the grey ash. All in all this was a pleasant smoke, not one that makes my top ten list but I would gladly smoke it again if another pack was available to me. I would recommend this blend to those that used to like Amphora brown or similar blends, but it was not exceptional so I can't rate it higher. All in all a nice blend however.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A straightforward tobacco, the wide flakes are easy to split and fold and light fiarly easily. While the tin note is slightly berry-like, the smoke tasted to me of burley 'nuttiness' with hints from the VA. This does tend to bite at the least bit of a heavy draw, but otherwise is a nice if undistinguished smoke. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is no.

Pipe Used: various briars and a cob

Purchased From: CigarWeb (NL)

Troost Special Cavendish has always been one of my favorite tobaccos in my now over 33 years of pipe smoking. As of recent, I have been enjoying their Aromatic Cavendish as well. So, it was only natural for me to want to venture and try their Slices as I, overall, prefer tobacco cut as slices. I know the Slices are not available stateside, nor do I ever remember seeing them during my early years of pipe smoking.

Well, our colleague pipestud had a 50g pouch from March 2001 listed in his consignment shop for $5. Not only a steal, but I had to have it for what it was. During the transaction period with pipestud, he noticed the outer cellophane wrapper was slit open and he felt the tobacco too bone dry to sell. I contacted him and said I would take it anyway. I am sure glad I did! After removing the outer cellophane wrapper, there was the distinct aroma of licorice. The pouch itself was still solidly sealed, and hard as a brick - like a plug tobacco. Upon opening the pouch there was the distinct aroma of butterscotch. I had no trouble separating a very dry flake from the rest of the pack. Folding it in half split it like dry wood, but I managed to stuff the two pieces into the bowl of a slim billiard. I breathed into the top of the bowl and through the stem as per pipestud's suggestion and I lit up. The butterscotch flavor came to the forefront and thus began a real treat. The tobacco smoked very cool and dry till the end. The butterscotch taste lessened by mid-bowl, but never totally disappeared. I couldn't detect any of the licorice. The Virginia used certainly had time to age in my pouch and its presence was was delicious and spicy without being grassy. The Burley component rounded out the smoke by giving it just the right amount of body. I was very satisfied by the bowl's end. Occasionally, I was treated with a mild soapiness, which actually added character to the smoke. I do remember this from the original Troost Special from years ago, but have not experienced this with the present day incarnation.

I would have to say that the three versions of Troost are very similar, however, they are different enough to stand on their own. The Slices, in my opinion, are closer to the Aromatic Cavendish in appearance and overall flavor. Before smoking the Slices, I would have thought them to be the Special Cavendish before being rubbed out. I believe it is the butterscotch addition in the Aromatic and Slices versions that tie the two together in overall smoking characteristics. I do wish the Slices were available in the USA as I would definitely add that version to my rotation. I rank the three starting with my most favored; Special, Slices, Aromatic. Thank you Steve for not chucking out that dry pack!

UPDATE 9-21-12: I recently bid and won a 3 1/2 ounce tin of Troost Slices off of ebay. The tin was very old looking and rusted top and bottom. While the tax stamp was intact, the tin had lost its vacuum seal - and I don't think it was opened by the seller for prior inspection. There were two coupons inside for a Van Rossem Delft Blue Tobacco Jar and from what I can tell this tin of tobacco goes back to at least the 1970s, making this tin 30-40 years old. The tobacco was wrapped in a gold foil wrapper and totally stuck to the content. I needed to tear it with the end of a pipe tool and peel the pieces off in strips. The flakes were very dark indeed - dark brown to black. The initial tin aroma was tobacco in nature with a hint of spice/must. The flakes were not tinder dry, but close. The flakes still were peel-able from one another and slightly pliable, breaking apart when bent in half. I took the entire wad and placed the flakes into a thin zip lock bag and then in another, slightly thicker zip lock. By the next day, what a beautiful bag aroma! My first impression was of ginger with perhaps a bit of cinnamon, smelling like Ginger Snaps were baking. One of my daughters thought maple syrup. At any rate, this is a very pleasant smoke and very different from my first encounter with the slices (see above). I'm sure the aging did wonders for these flakes and I am very tempted to plunk down the money necessary to get this directly from a shop in Europe that will ship this to the states for comparison. There was not one hint of bite nor did it smoke hot - even with fast, hard puffing. A truly delightful encounter.

UPDATE 10-7-12: I recently purchased 3 tins of the currently produced flake from the Netherlands. Although very good, it is not the same as my 30-40 year old find, but a very well prepared Virginia/Burley flake that I quite enjoy for it's mildness and subtle sweetness. I do wish it was imported to the states like their Troost Special and Aromatic Cavendish.

UPDATE 1-6-13: This smokes best when very dried out - almost to a crumble as it has a definitive chocolate taste that is very satisfying.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I was told that Troost means comfort in Dutch, and the laughing burgher is offering some comfort to the poor wretch in the pillory.

Slices is the best tobacco in the Dutch style that I have smoked and it is a pity that it is not more widely available. It can hold its own against the likes of Marlin Flake, Full Virginia Flake or Stonehaven. It is also an education for those who might be inclined to sneer at aromatics on principle. A delight not only for the smoker, but also for those around.

Right Wing Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Right Wing Piper (11)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This review is for the original Troost slices made in the U.K. before Orlik took over production. The tobacco is from the 90's. It's basically a typical Danish style Flake. There's a very light topping of what I can only assume is honey or something close to it. It's not cloying in any way. The Virginia in this blend seems to make itself well known. While there is the ever so slightest hint of Lakeland. It's tasty enough and if it were still available in the U.S. I'd buy it. I can't speak for the current production as I've never tried it. It reminds me a great deal of the Lane Golden Cavendish Slices, which are no longer available. The two are strikingly similar.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Pot

Age When Smoked: 20ish years

Purchased From: Steve Fallon

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (22)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This Review is on a tin bought in the Netherlands.

Room note is fruity, berry-like, slightly nutty and virginia hay-like sweetness with an alcoholic wine-like note. There's also some plums there and chocolate if you're looking for it.

The flakes are stacked in two rows atop each other and about as wide as, say, Orlik golden sliced, only that they're single flakes and not one giant flake as OGS is (at least here in Europe...) They're dark brown with few light strands and birdseyes and look very delicious.

Not too moist out of the tin, some drying (about an hour) doesn't hurt nonetheless.

The flakes seem perfect for fold and stuff - that's how I smoke them - and one flake will fill my GBD prince perfectly.

Upon lighting, you get berry-like fruity flavors at first that don't taste chemical at all and not overly sweet either. It's a flavor that could actually come from the tobacco itself if I didn't know better. That quickly switches to a darker, nut-like flavor with virginia sweetness and a smoky, rich, earthy flavor underneath that seem to intermingle and interchange with every puff. Also, there's warm toast and a cinnamon-like note, spicy, warm flavors.

Delicious and there's tons of flavors to be had with this.

Adding to that, this goes very well with Lapsang Souchang Tea or strong black coffee. I suppose that, if it goes so well with Lapsang, it should also taste great with a nice peaty Islay Malt.

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (18)

Troost Slices is a wonderful all-day tobacco that satisfies the smoker and will not draw unfriendly attention from non-smoking bystanders. The flavoring is applied with a light hand and does not overpower the tobacco taste, but rather compliments it nicely. Unfortunately, Troost Slices is only available in the Netherlands. Every time I go there for a vacation coast I make sure to stock up my supplies.Or I tell my friends and colleagues who go there to buy some for me.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)

Dear All, I just add my two cents, my review being based on a 100gr tin coming from Amsterdam. Troost Slices are basical a good baccy, produced by Orlik/Scandinavian , and belonging to the not-so-large family of the European Regulars, I mean VaB blends with mild flavouring. The one including Amphora Brown, just to name the probably widely known. I consider them closely related to the Golden Sliced and the Park Lane #7, placing it right in the middle of those, being the first more Virginia oriented, the latter more on the Burley side. Flavour is mildly honey on bread, and strength mild-to-medium. Just like every VaB flake they need a bit of attention to keep the smoke cool and avoid bite, and let the mild aromas developing nicely. Burns absolutely dry. A small proportion of Toscano cigar crushed and mixed with a rubbed flake produce an exhilarating smoke, the nice sweet aroma of the Slices being consistently enhanced, and some “meat” is added. Merry Christmas to All the TR Community !

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

hehe I'VE got a source! A GLP-deprived piper in the Netherlands with whom I swap to get this wonderful stuff. Why Troost markets their other crap here but not this is a mystery.

I disagree with the top description; my perfectly presented flakes are not broken. I do concur whole heartedly with most of the previous reviewers on the taste and smoking characterisics, especially the observation that it needs a few minutes to really blossom. I suppose its most recognizable comparison would be to MacBaren's Navy Flakes, although Troost lacks their characteristic MB honey taste. The sweetness here is more virginia and clovery. I keep trying to discern burley, but cannot. Excellent morning smoke, particularly for spring walks by the river. It goes well with coffee. It improves attitude.

I'm told this is an inexpensive tobacco, so my dutch comrade is likely getting a bargain with his now defunct Mephisto in trade. I don't care, this would become a standard for me if it could. Thanks, Martin!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (90)

OK, based on the reviews here I picked up two pouches of Troost Slices - while showing a new (to me) Brackner Axe to the master blender in my preferred tobacco store...while he shared a blend of 24 year old tobacco he had hidden away. Oh my!

At first I thought the price marked on the Troost was a mistake...but this is just a very well-priced confection. And confection is it! While not an aromatic to my mind it does give a hint of that amazing aroma of the Karmelkorn store in the mall (from when I was a kid) in terms of its flavor profile. But to that lovely aroma/taste hint add a nutty quality (Burley perhaps) and surprising smoothness and you'll have a window on this fantastic tobacco. I tried a DGT (bad idea) and do not recommend it. My pipe seems to prefer a rough crumble of the slice with a well rubbed topping for the light...pretty much the way I smoke most flakes.

If you like those flakes that are "flavored" just a bit so that the flavoring brings out the best in the tobacco (Bob's Chocolate as one example)...this is in that ilk IMO...and highly recommended.

Legionnaire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Legionnaire (26)

This review is of the original Van Rossem’s blend and was produced in the 1990’s. Whether you rub out the flakes or use the folding method, it smokes essentialy the same. The flavor definitely has a bit of a Lakeland element to it and will bite if pulled too hard. Overall, it’s an enjoyable tobacco until it starts biting. It’s not something I would go out of my way to obtain, but I’m glad I tried it.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 20+ years

Purchased From: www.pipestud.com

GeeJay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeeJay (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

And again problems with the Slices. Due to health-warning package the Slices weren't available for a while. And StG changed again the tin. Now available in a round tin, 50. The tobacco hasn't changed. For me it's the absolute number 1 of Dutch Tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 213 and Peterson deluxe XL5

Purchased From: de oude leeuw, delft

Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (15)

With the heavy casing lingering in the nose it's impossible to say anything about the actual ingredients, i.e. the tobaccos used to create these neat uniform slices. The presentation in the tin is as festive as it gets. Apart from the artificial flavor it tastes like any plain ryo tobacco. Not what I seek in the smoking experience.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

The dutch are famous for their frugality. This stuff is half the price of other up-market brands in Holland, and almost as good.

Needs to dry out a little, tasty cookie, sweet bread taste, not overpowering though, nice and mild, but not too mild. For once something the dutch make well and at a great price...a rare thing indeed.

JSB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JSB (6)
Strong Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This tobacco did very little for me,the tin aroma was rather sweet and quite pleasent but after lighting up i found it to be a little dull and flat.It did burn my mouth a bit but not to excess.The price was right but that would not be enough to make me smoke it on a regulr basis.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (18)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my all time favourite and staple tobaccos. The mood of the smoker and the manner in which it is smoked yield a surprising complexity--Troost Slices can be the perfect all day smoke if puffed idly or astound the smoker with its flavour range if his whole attention is devoted to the pipe.

I can rarely think of the time when this tobacco does not match my mood. Unfortunately, I can only now say that I smoke this on occasion because I am hoarding my remaining tins mercilessly: sadly, this tobacco is no longer available in the US