An aromatic tobacco of incredible delicacy. This matured Virginia is spiced with Carolina and Jet Black Cavendish, then spun into ribbon for ease of smoking.

Notes: Discontinued blend, now reproposed by McClelland in their Ashton Revival Series.

BrandAshton
2.3
musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I have a true love affair with this tobacco. I had not learned it had been discontinued until I had burned through my supply. A sad day for sure. I have since learned these old beauties have been re released by McClelland and I hope they are close to the originals. The thought of being able to get my hands on Old Dog just about has me jumping for joy.

I came to the gentrified art of pipe smoking via the cigar world. I still enjoy cigars equally as much. As a new pipe smoker but a relatively learned cigar smoker when I looked for my first pipe tobacco the brand Ashton stuck out like a shining beacon. In the cigar world the brand Ashton means nothing but the highest quality, and I was soon to learn it meant the same to the pipe world.

First, this is hands down by far the greatest smelling tobacco in the tin I have ever experienced. The grandma's cookies draped in toffee like smell had me in love with this blend at first whiff. The tobacco itself is pretty moist and goopy like your average aromatic.

The beauty of this blend is there is no misleading name to send you looking for some obscure fruit flavor. I am not sure what this stuff tastes like but I like it. It is sweet and nutty and maybe a little bit like good baklava. It is lovely. It has a nice wholesome tobacco undertone too.

Even though this comes from the regal house of Ashton it is still an aromatic. That means it smells good in the air but will bite if rushed, and will most definitely leave an oil slick in the heel of your pipe.

Overall and excellent example of what an aromatic should be.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Finally finished the aged tin I found in a tobacco shop in Richmond. Too much of a true aromatic for me. I would rather smell it than smoke it. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, and I even dumped a couple bowls out and ran for the unflavored Virginia. It was good with hard cider and would go well with other sweeter alcoholic drinks, or with sweeter non-alcoholic drinks, or with no drink at all for those who, unlike me, like sweeter blends. That said, for those who do like such blends, the quality was excellent and the cans that are still availiable are nicely aged.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This rates as one of the best aromatics ever produced in my opinion. I confess that what I have smoked has been aged for several years. Perhaps those who posted less than stellar reviews had not had the opportunity to have try some that has been aged. Aromatics do not always age well, this is very much the exception. Delicate with a very mild top note, this tobacco offers a unique and wonderful/delicious experience. If you can find any of this tobacco, your palate will thank you.

Update: down to 3 stars because I have stopped enjoying aromatics for the most part. Though this downgrade is biased in that regard because for an aro lover ... this is worth a try.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

I am sorry I only discovered this wonderful blend after it has been discontinued. I recently recieved a tin dated from 2001. This is a very mild, refined, and very pleasant smoke. I would have to say this is one of the lightest Aromatics I have ever encountered. I am a big VaPer fan, and I must admit to loving sweet and goopy Aromatics as well. This is a very nice change of pace for me, and I am once again sorry I did not discover it sooner. Hopefully I will be able to continue to find this on Ebay or on a shelf somewhere in a Tobacco Shop. Highly Recommended without hesitation! Happy Puffing and Happy Holidays!!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Did you ever have one of those perfect pipe moments? You know the kind: whiskey or martini on the table, good book in hand, feet up on a table or ottoman, late summer weather, no work, no worry and life is good. Suddenly, what seems to be something uneventful comes along to rock your world. I'm not sure if it was a flight of fancy brought on by the vodka martini and the poetic mythological creation of the world according to Ovid in his 'Metamorphosis', but OO revealed to me an incredible smoking experience I soon hope to relive. I reached for this stuff expecting nothing, especially after smoking the wonderful Tarler/Pease 'Valle Crucis' all afternoon. A friend brought me a 1/2 opened tin of this from Rich's Tobacco in Portland Oregon, and I'm glad he did. I've enjoyed the now departed 'Black Dog' Ashton/McC collaboration, but this takes the cake. It's almost hard to believe this is a McC. It's not ketchupy nor is there a burnt ember nose in the tin. The Virginias shine through with a metallic immensity that genuinely whets the palate like a good aperitif. Whatever casing is used is at once spicy and chocolatey but never detracts from the purity of the satisfying tobacco flavor. The spin ribbon cut provides for a perfect, even burn that lets it be known that there are few pleasures in this world that rival good reading and pipe smoking. Even the name brings reminiscences of damp, ancient churches in the melancholy heaths of England or Scotland. I have to try this again unaided by neutral spirits or the literary imagery of rocks changing into trees and again into people. One of the most refreshing tobacco experiences I've had in a long time. I only hope that it continues to be available, though I hear that McC & Ashton have discontinued production on certain blends. Comfort food for the pipe and a heavenly aroma for your room, OO is simply lovely and mysterious, the blender's ambrosia!

Five of five stars

----------update

i must've been a bit drunk or head over heels in lust when i wrote this. it's not bad, mind you, but it's too sweet and chocolaty. too many other things out there to worry about this one. then again, it's no longer made. or have i grown up a bit? whatever the case, i lost interest in it.

Two and a half of five stars

I have always found that the Ashton Tobaccos produced by McClelland are superior to their own marketed products. No exception here. This is a less sweet and far less astringent "DEEP HOLLOW" or a sweeter and tangier "GREY HAVENS". However you look at it, it is superior to both and in the same vein. The Matured McClelland Virginia provides the tobacco flavor backbone for this blend. They add in a vanilla-ish topping and VOILA! you have Original Old Church. A different aromatic than most. It will appeal to Sweet Virginia flake smokers more than anyone else. A solid 3 stars.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Smokers take note - pipe selection makes a big difference for this blend. In a nice, wide bulldog, this can be a very pleasant smoke if you are in the mood for a high-quality aromatic tobacco. It is light, and you are not going to get a huge flavor profile, but using a pipe with a large burning surface, smoked at a smoulder, this is one of the better aromatics I have tried. I find it very similar to Benjamin Hartwell's Evening Stroll.

Unfortunately, this can also smoke like a boring, bland, rather tasteless bulk aromatic. So experiment a bit. It is worth it, because it has one of the best room notes I have ever smelled - a huge crowd pleaser!

A delicately fruity and sweet aromatic that is very similar to McClelland's offerings (Pal O'Mine, Mellow Mack). Not bad, though it's quite wet and sticky and tends to bite the tongue. I prefer the Mellow Mack, but this one is a quality offering and should be a crowd pleaser with its very intense sweet smell.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Tried this one in my quest for that one mild blend I can smoke once in a while for a "rest" while still maintaining a bit of intrigue and aura. This blend has a nice, sweet, spicy aroma out of the can, and has a reddish appearance which would indicate that the virginias will dominate. Once you light up, that changes quickly and the smoke quickly becomes a black cavendish spiced up with a bit of virginia that comes through early on (unfortunately during the hottest smoking stage) and then settles into an uncomplicated sweet smoke to the end of the bowl. Out of the can, it smokes fairly dry, but what you don't smoke will leave your pipe very wet, which if you like heavily aromatics, is just going to be fact of life. It's a nice smoke, and has no real vices, but the black cavendish type aroma dominates too much for me and I can see myself adding some Mississippi Mud to it to spice it up a bit to finish the can. Others who like sweet tobaccos will find this worth a try, if you like black cavendish/vanilla with a slight extra.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Good aromatic blend here. This tobacco is tasty and mild,and I slowed the puffing down and was not bit at all. I actually could taste the Virginia cavendish along with the nice casing. The backy does come a little moist, but packs well,and people who hate tobacco smoke will want you to smoke this around them.It's a simple aromatic with a rounded taste that stays the same down the bowl.

wayno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wayno (5)

This review is my first, so I am going to keep it simple. I opened the tin about 3 months ago and had a bowl and wasnt impressed so I put the cover on and put it in the cabinet. After awhile I found myself looking for something without Perique, or Burley, that wouldnt give me a nicotine buzz. So I pulled out the Old Church to give it another try. The tobacco loaded easily into my pipe, the aroma was nice and mild and the tobacco lit like a charm. I puffed it all the way down with out any bite(I am a puffer)I didn't get any gurgles, or problems with burning.(that alone makes it 5 stars).I enjoyed a mild full smoke.(I love lotsa smoke) Although mild it left me satisfied that I had had a real nice SMOKE! No buzz either.If your looking to try an aromatic that is not sickly sweet or tastes of flowers give this one a try. I finished that tin in a week, record for me.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

I don't typically smoke aromatics and in fact look down on those who do with scorn and contempt. How dare you put that sugary crap in a good pipe? At least most people who smoke this kind of thing do so in a cheap pipe. That being said, I have tried to find an aromatic that I could live with for those occasions when I smoke around others. This aromatic suits that purpose just fine. It has a pleasant aroma to most people and is not overwhelmingly juicy or sweet. While I would never smoke this at home in my easy chair, preferring Virginias or Latakias, this is OK to smoke around others. I have two of my least favorite pipes dedicated to this.

EzKennyD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EzKennyD (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is one I would not smoke again. Very boring and burned a bit hot for me. It had no taste or presence to my palet. There just was nothing to it.

Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Lustra is right on in his analysis of this cased blend. As for Bobcat 13, who also reviewed this blend, well, lets just say his taste buds and mine go in opposite directions. Personally, I like my tobacco to taste like, well, tobacco! This blend didn't get there for me.

I thought it would be fun to smoke this Old Church blend in my XX Ashton Old Church billiard. The fun stopped when I put my lighter to the bowl and drew in my first puff. Ugh, this stuff was awful. It tasted like hot caramel being sucked through a straw. I kept going until crying "UNCLE" at mid-bowl.

If you don't like tobacco taste and prefer to smoke sweet pudding that has been heated considerably, go to Old Church. If, however, you enjoy tobacco in your pipe, you need to worship at a different church!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I was anxious to try this brand after reading William Serad's review in Pipes and Tobacco. Alas! This blend proves he is not the Samuel Johnson of tobacco reviewing. The blend packs and lights OK, but it burns hot, has little flavor, and produces a mere wafting of smoke. I suspect Mr. Serad might say this has the subtlety of angel's wings: I can only reply that angel's wings, when smoked, are boring, underwhelming, and bitey.

bobcat13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobcat13 (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorite aromatic tobaccos. The matured Virginia is a mottled chestnut brown (with some broken flake) and makes up at least half of the mixture, with reddish brown Carolina and Black Cavendish making up the rest in approximately equal proportions. The leaf itself is shiny, which to my mind indicates the presence of some PG. That said, however, I didn’t notice an excess of moisture when smoking it. I like this a lot. The aroma in the can is of a rich toffee desert . When lit, the underlying natural sweetness of the Virginia base is apparent, and the aromatic casing is not egregious, but provides some richness to a light-bodied smoke. As with most aromatics, the casing wears off as the smoke progresses, but only to reveal a soft, mellow base that is quite nice by itself. It doesn’t get bitter or weird tasting toward the end, either. The room aroma after smoking is a mixture of musty natural tobacco smell and caramel. As with all McClelland VA-based tobacs, you need to be careful not to smoke it too fast, or else you’ll fry your tongue. But with temperate smoking, this is quite nice.