PipesAndCigars

This one gets ya. A heavy laced Perique blend, the Virginia will give a hint of mildness and the Latakia tends toward the body of this tobacco. The flavor is consistent throughout and burns down to a fine white ash.

BrandThe Smoker
Blended ByMel Feldman
ContentsVirginia, Perique, Latakia
Packaging2oz / 4oz Tin
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong, Extremely Strong
Taste
JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

I like this blend. Paul is correct, there is definitely a camp fire quality about this blend. Contrary to the official description, there is just enough Perique in this blend for this taster's palate. It didn't knock me off my feet, but it does always satisfy my urges for Perique every time.

Good stuff.

calabashsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calabashsmoke (12)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

My last order from The Smoker was for seven blends that I had never tried before with St. James being one of them. I had to try this blend first mainly because the blender's description of the the tobacco included the warning "This one gets ya". A casual examination of the tobacco revealed nothing sinister here, just a mix of red and bright Virginias with a sprinkling of dark flakes of Latakia and Perique. The first light is dominated by the Virginias with just a hint of the Latakia and little spiciness from the Perique. At this point I wondered what all the fuss was about then at the mid point of the bowl WHAM. The Perique really comes on strong and does in fact get ya. From mid bowl to the bottom the Perique overwhelms the other tobaccos and the overall smoking experience becomes one sided. My curiosity got the better of me so I did a little reverse engineering of the blend. I found that it contained approximately 1% Perique. Now that may not sound like a lot but your tastebuds will think otherwise! That being said I still enjoy St. James on occasion (after a steak dinner is best). Definelely not an all day smoke and don't even think about it on an empty stomach. As would be expected it has a very pungent room aroma. If your wife is sensitive to tobacco smoke you may want to consider moving this one out to the tool shed.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A very nice full latakia and perique blend . Great for outdoor activities such as camping , hunting , fishing and hiking . Has that campfire nostalgia feel to it . Highly recommended to the full english lover .