This is a medium-full English blend, with a major base of Red Virginia. It is top quality blended with Latakia, other Virginias and Perique. Flavor is full, meaty, and satisfies like a great cup of Java. The flavor is smoothed by the Latakia, but the Virginia-Perique mix dominates this blend. It is not overly sweet, but aged.

BrandThe Smoker
Tolerable to Strong

2.7
Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)

With a name like "Red Virginia Supreme" I expected a sweet, sour apple/citrus smoke of mostly VA tobaccos. NO. It's an English blend with a hearty dose of lat and a bit less perique. I guess I'm having an English night tonight after already having a bowl of Odessa.

Tin notes - Lat heavy, mild perfume and woodsy with a hearty plum/raisin sweetness.

Char and initial light - strong citrus and sour apple upfront, with a latakia backbone. No "marshmallow" or "bready" notes that I've gotten from English blends like Squadron Leader or Nightcap.

First 3rd of the bowl. Citrus and Smokey Lat, Lat and Sour Citrus. Some candy apple (sour and caramel) predominantly flavoring if you can push the lat out of the way. Right now I'm getting Virginia, with latakia as a condiment.

Second 3rd of the bowl... slight chameleon effect here. Now I've got some spice, pepper and caraway. The lat is really playing nicer here, but the citrus notes have died down. This is less Virginia and more London at this point.

Last 3rd of the bowl. Everything is coming together nicely. While the smoke is active in my mouth, I'm tasting a fairly classic English blend of latakia/oriental. When the smoke leaves my mouth I'm left with citrus, spiced pecans, and black pepper. Now I have a smokey, perfumed English blend, with sour and sweet notes, capped off with strong black pepper and plum.

I was surprised by how much this bowl changed from start to finish. I received this tobacco as part of a sampler that came with a pipe and I'm pleasantly surprised. Good.

Pipe Used: MM Legend Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is another good English blend that I am giving 3 stars, though I probably will not come back to it because there are others that suit me better. This blend has a little natural sweetness, not a Frogmortonlike sweetness, but a natural VA sweetness. The blend has some complexity, not being dominated by the latakia.

calabashsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calabashsmoke (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Appearance: Predominantly ribbon cut Red Virginia with a few strands of bright Virginia with a small amount of black flecks of Latakia and Perique. Taste: Not as sweet as you might expect from a predominantly Virginia blend. The Latakia adds a smooth character and some body to the Red Virginias. The Perique was very lightly done adding a faint smokiness to the mixture.This blend was a nice change of pace from the heavy Latakia English blends but it does have a tendency to bite. Conclusion: Certainly not an all day smoke but good for after dinner. I'll definetely smoke it on occasion.