A very unique Virginia/Perique blend consisting of four different types of Virginia (bright, stoved black and two types of red), plus a hint of sweet and tangy Perique and made even more interesting by the addition of excellent Turkish tobaccos. Expect toasty sweetness with nice complexity without being heavy.

BrandThe Smoker
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.7
es ca. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
es ca. (1)

I like the quality of this tobacco. There is a fair amount of Nic Kick. To My tastes, I was expecting a little more creaminess, it's a bit sharp. Maybe thats the Perique. If there is Latakia in there I did not taste any. I was hoping for a bit more Turkish flavor. It definitely favors the Virginias, it's a little one note for me. If this is your style, go for it. I am intrigued to try some other blends from The Smoker. Just my opinion.

Pipe Used: dr grabow no filter

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

It has been a long time since I smoked a tin of Mel's New York blend. My notes tell me I thought it was a little rough around the edges and a shade on the nippy side; perhaps due to the heavy Virginia element. I suspect older tins will be easier on the tongue with the mellowing of the leaf. I do recall that when I ordered this one in the mid 1990s, it was straight from Feldman's shop and he mixed it fresh. I should have ordered more than one tin and let the other age, I suppose.

calabashsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calabashsmoke (12)

I found this blend to be similar to Legacy and Woodlands. It appears to be a blend of predominantly dark Virginia's and Latakia with traces of lighter Virginia tobaccos. Burns consistent all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Somewhat sweet, very smokey and musty (in a pleasant way) which I would assume comes from the Latakia and Perique. I did find one difference between this blend and other English blends by The Smoker. In these other blends the Perique becomes more concentrated as you get to the end of the bowl to the point where it overshadows the Virginias and Latakia. However I didn't find this in New York New York. A very well made English. Highly recommended.