A mixture of golden Virginia, Mild Danish Cavendish, Oriental and white Tennessee Burley tobaccos. The Blend is cut to facilitate easy filing of the pipe. Skandinavik Vanilla Cavendish combines the flavor of the high grade leaf tobacco with a deep vanilla flavor.

BrandSkandinavik
Blended ByPeter Stokkebye
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

2.4
DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Assuming that this is the same as SKANDINAVIK VANILLA (since the site of ORLIK does not list a Vanilla Cavendish).

Also, please note that in my area all Skandinavik Blends are widely available and the most affordable ones. I experiment with those quite a bit trying to minimize the cost of tobacco and subsidize my PAD (Pipe Aquisition Disorder). In any case I have tried most of the costlier blends available in my area and I have been often disappointed.

FIRST REVIEW REMARKS Too mild for me... simultaneously exhibiting all the drawbacks of aromatics. The wife likes the room note. I might get another pouch to mix it in with some more real tobacco - for cover up purposes.

UPDATED REVIEW The wife was NOT overly enthused with the room note of Mac Barren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. I do not understand this, as I find them quite similar - but this is not the first and will certainly not be the last thing I do not understand when wives are involved.

Anyway, I did get a second pouch of this. The flavoring results in a very annoying tongue bite - even when you manage a really slow and relatively cool smoking.

So, I have come up with some conclusions / resolutions.

a) I will never smoke this stuff again - I consider throwing the pouch contents away. I will try mixing this in very high dilution with something else (perhaps Skandinavik Regular to spice it up a bit) - but OVERALL Mac Barren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut is better for such purposes, and it is smokeable as a standalone.

b) I will keep the pouch itself and use it as a disguise - perhaps the wife likes the pouch; not the note....

c) I change my rating to 1star. Even if you like pure vanilla aromatics, you can do much better.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (85)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This seems to me smoking a vanilla pudding, but no one good, one of those that can be found in a discount supermarket.

Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not ashamed to admit to trying this stuff a while back. When you live in the backwaters of pipe smoking culture, you do what you must. That said...thank the gods for mail order!

This is indeed a very full flavored, heavily cased aromatic. The vanilla flavoring is strong, but not especially sweet. It burns fairly well, so I suspect an accelerant has been added.

If you want to taste tobacco, this is not for you. If you don't like vanilla, this is not for you. If you despise aromatics...you get the idea. The name says it all.

It won't become a favorite, but I have had worse. Skandinavik makes some of the better pouch blends, but I prefer the nutty flavor of the regular, and the raisiny sweetness of the full aromatic better.

The reality is that all three have become difficult to get where I live, leaving me with Sir Walter, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Mixture 79 the Captain, and Half & Half.

So I help keep the mail trucks running!

Indian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indian (13)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

It amazes me how many people will review a type of tobacco that they don't like to begin with. Maybe they are hoping this will be the blend that changes their mind?...I like all types-Va/per blends, Latakia blends, Aromatics (sweet and mild). I bought this despite the humble two star rating because number one the price is right and number two I like the quality of tobacco from P. Stokkebye. I WASN'T LET DOWN. The quality of the tobacco here is EXCELLENT. It says on the pouch that it has a DEEP vanilla flavor, so I wasn't supprised to find a strong vanilla flavor.

upon opening the pouch I noticed (as another reviewer stated) a cherry/vanilla scent. And it was strong.

I used the german method or Frank method to pack the bowl due to the cut.

The char light had an excellent room note, and yes the vanilla/cherry flavor was there.

The top: Strong blast of the flavor, almost overwhelming and kind of perfume(y).

The middle: The tobacco flavors are coming through more and since I always smoke slow and enjoy my pipe it is not biting at all. Nice and smooth.

The bottom: The flavor has developed into a VERY nice smoke. Tobacco and flavoring balancing out. Very relaxing and tasty with an excellent room note. A little bit of gurgling

Summary: This is an EXCELLENT smoke. High quality tobacco that when smoked right (slow) is smooth and full. I love this stuff and for the price I will be smoking alot of this when I want a full flavored aromatic. The reason I didn't give it 4 stars is because it takes too long to balance out the flavoring and the tobacco, plus the gurgle at the end.

PS....Try adding a little Perique/Latakia.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (102)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

My 100th review! Whew it took me ten years to get to this point. I am amazed when I see reviewers that first signed up in 2013 and have over 100 reviews in a year, did they smoke 100 tobacco's in a year or write down their impressions in a book to be reviewed on this site later?

Why o why did they discontinue Skandinavik Vanilla from the US? I LOVED this blend, it was the best of all the Vanilla Cavendish's I've tried over the years. Very natural, not goopy and just a delight. Think Full Aroma with the topping used on Macbaren's Vanilla Cream, that's the best analogy I can think of. It's a shame that we have the likes of Borkum Riff still on shelves and blends like this are removed. O well live and learn, now when I really love a blend I stock up enough tins to last me a couple of years.

=Thanks for letting me review 100 blends on this site and to those who have read my reviews over the years! Happy Halloween everyone!=

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Loose Cut.

PedroMagellion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PedroMagellion (1)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

It has a very strong smell while being plesent at the same time. Smokes very well and it has an awesome vanilla taste. If you can't find the "Black Vanilla-Danish mixture" this one is the one to go with.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Age When Smoked: 21

Purchased From: Braga Park

Similar Blends: Danish Mixture - Black Vanilla.

pipe4me Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe4me (6)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

An aromatic blend for aromatic lovers.Give it a try if you love aromatics.Vanilla and caramel are the flavors that overwhelmed you when opening the pouch.Taste is full to strong.Room aroma very pleasant.Good quality tobacco.

Pipe Used: briar

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing complex about this tobacco. Very highly aromatic, vanilla and honey like flavours. Strong Cavendish presence. Recommended for the lovers of overwhelmingly strong aromas for pipe tobacco.

silvatorres Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
silvatorres (5)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Having become a regular pipe smoker not so long ago, i've been sort of browsing through some of the brands i can find here in Portugal.

I was curious on Vanilla aromatics, since i had read a lot on some of them, and felt like giving it a try. I'm still smoking the pouch, but the first impressions were quite pleasant. It lights well, and indeed burns hot. I truly enjoyed its taste, and will now and then be becoming to this brand, unless i find one that pleases me more.

No bite at all!

Eventually, i'll update the experience when the hole pouch is smoked.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Got it today! I am mostly a Latakia man! But I like some Caramel and Vanilla now and then... This is the best Vanilla blend I have ever tried to date! It is more like Caramel / Vanilla not Vanilla IMO; Packs easily, lights easily, no goop, no diziness. Great taste and wonderful aroma! Love it.

bertalanffy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bertalanffy (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

One of the common problems with pipe tobacco is availability. In my region, it's usually difficult to find blends that are of good quality and which I like.

Skandinavik seems to be readily available, the price is adequate for what you get, and if you want a vanilla flavoured aromatic to smoke every day, this one surely beats Stanwell (which is more noticable, but annoying and overwhelming after a couple of smokes) and many other aromatics I have tried.

The aroma is pleasant, translates well into both taste and room note. It burns hot and short and is somewhat flat, but bites very little. Overall, a cute little tobacco that will probably not be of interest to anyone who takes pipe smoking seriously. If your vanilla aromatics are limited and you find them too strong (vanilla additive-wise), give this one a try.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I rate it two stars just because of all the vanilla flavoured blends with a base of cavendish you can buy here in italy it is not the worst nor the most "chemical scented" one....but the road to a natural straight vanilla flavour is way too long yet. Anyway here and there some tobacco taste still arises; i can't find no traces of any oriental weed here. Nicotine is really low but that's not what you look for in an aro like this. maybe worth a try. However I have to rate it 2 stars to separate it from trash blends ( in my opinion) like Danish Black Vanilla but a 4 star scale here is really too short: in other words..if I rate it 2 stars I would have to rate Sweet Vanilla Honeydew 7 stars and any of a Mclelland/Cornell&diehl/Gawith/Esoterica blends 12 stars.

Extremely Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a SWEET, very sweet vanilla aromatic, and it is delicious.

The smoke is mild and fruity, the vanilla flavor is more candy-like, there is no bite but the bowl will heat like a nuclear reactor, so you may consider slow down your puffing cadence.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Very Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

If you are an aromatic lover, you will certainly like this. If you want to smoke something with a lot of aroma and little nicotine then go for this one. From the moment you light it, you will sense the wonderful vanilla flavor that will conquer you. The aroma is very tasty and you will want to smoke even faster, but this will lead to a hot pipe and a hard tongue bite, so be careful. If you smoke this one relaxed and calm, you will love this blend. However, from the last half of the bowl, the aroma is losing its power and the tobacco flavors comes in front but it is not too powerful. And I am sure that you will love the smell of its smoke.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Very Mild Strong Full Very Strong

This is the first tobacco pouch I bought when I started smoking the pipe 2 years ago! Although I am not an aromatic person I believe that this one (together with the Regular) is the best of the Skandinavic series and it is a good vanilla dosage for the vanilla craver and the aromatic follower. I like the vanilla of it with a cup of black coffee! Very sweet but also very light in nicotine but also quite dimensional in taste as the orientals leave a light undertone of spicy aroma from time to time. One has to dedicate a pipe on that animal as the vanilla sweetness seems to ?stain? the pipe! Skandinavic blends are really basic tobaccos but this one does worth the try! It?s an Orlik product after all and worth of some respect! Had that blend some Kentucky touch and strength I would have given it the forth star?(Hmmmm?.!!!!) Anyway...Smoke in peace! Hail to the art!

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant

Well...probably too strong on flavouring to my taste, as was quite impossible to feel the tobacco in the middle of so much vanilla. At beginning it's even weird but as soon as I got used to it, well, just gave me some pleasant times. A wet smoke, sometimes it bites and the room note can be very pleasant.after it dissolves well in the atmosphere. At least for those that do like vanilla flavouring, this is probably the right pack to be with. Not for everyday use, however.

MAXYSDAD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAXYSDAD (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Allow yourself to fall through the ice (chocolate) covered waters, If you have not banged your head breaking the surface- be vigilant -explore the layered flavours , are you so experianced to swim so deep -wow!

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A decent black cavendish-Virginia aromatic, slightly better (less artificial and nauseating) than Planta's Danish Black Vanilla, but not quite as good as Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (which has a more consistent tobacco base). Room aroma is pleasant, and the vanilla taste stays strong until the bottom of the bowl. After lighting, it burns decently. Not bitey, and doesn't get bad if smoked too fast. An easy smoke, quite unexpensive and fresh.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

Beyond the great room aroma and reasonably good burning characteristics, this Peter Stokkebye blend has been added to my list of losers in my continuing search for an enjoyable vanilla aromatic. Although I normally prefer VA flakes and really enjoy some of Stokkebye's, I'm still open to blends for the hot weather or just a change of flavor. However this blend is so highly cased that even a hint of tobacco taste is missing until the bowl is almost finished. I didn't even have the courage to work it off slowly in other blends due to its intense flavoring. Unless you prefer very strong aromatics, I'd pass on this blend and try MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut or Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew if you want more tobacco taste.

Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This is another blend I was not going to review because I didn't want anyone to know I actually purchased and smoked this stuff. But.....

It is icky from start to finish. Like the esteemed lustra, I am not totally convinced this is tobacco. It did burn rather cool for a cough syrup though.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Strong Full Strong

Not exactly vanilla, sort of cherry-vanilla, but more like cough syrup than a soda, or maybe cherry-vanilla cough syrup with a topping of schnapps, and yes this stuff burns, but is it tobacco?

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (32)
Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

As a young and infrequent pipe smoker, I probably don't have the flame-scarred tongue nor the mental library of comparisons that a more experienced smoker might be able to provide, so think of my reviews as the neophyte's angle on pipe tobaccos.

Pipe: Broken-in Brookfield with 9mm filter Weather: Cool and overcast, with a slight humidity Mood: Upbeat Flame source: Butane pipe lighter Modifications: Denicool crystals in bowl

Packaging: I ordered a 100g tin of this and a 28g pouch was thrown in for free. The tin was solid with a coin-poppable lid and a vacuum-sealed foil cover. The tobacco is guaranteed to be fresh with care like that. The pouch was a standard vacuum-sealed plastic/foil bag.

Initial Impressions: A POWERFUL vanilla aroma perfused the room and there seems to be a slightly alcoholic tinge to the smell, almost as if it were coated with schnapps. The tobacco was a nice mix of golden and dark leaves, shredded and suitable for packing into a large-bowled pipe. It might need some rubbing to get a good cut for smaller-bored pipes, though.

Packing: A little moist, so I let it dry out for an hour and then it packed perfectly. I loaded 2 charges (the Denicool crystals were in the bottom third) and it seemed springy and fresh.

Unlit taste: Vanilla and a slight hint of tobacco

Lighting: A charring light produced a powerful blast of unablated vanilla flavor for the first few puffs. It charrred easily and I tamped it down for the relight with no wait time.

Smoking (First Third): I must admit that I have a sensitive nose and tongue and that even a few puffs of this tobacco had my head swimming. Even with the charcoal filter holding it off, a strong bass note of vanilla and plum were too much to think around. Smoked fairly hot, so I recommend a longer smoking time. Vanilla stayed strong throughout, but a subtle hint of tobacco was detectable, sort of like a flute playing over a set of timpani drums.

Smoking (Second Third): This part is where my tongue began to falter and became desensitized to the vanilla. The oriental and burley became more obvious through a nutty base flavor with a slightly spicy top note. This was the most enjoyable part of the pipe. The room note remained pleasant throughout, at least to the people around me. The tobacco constantly balances between going out from lack of puffing and heating up to smelting temperature from overpuffing. I'm normally a pretty relaxed puffer, so this was something that really tested me out and made me concentrate on it.

Smoking (Last Third): The Denicool crystals don't smoke, of course, but I noticed while cleaning that they were dark brown, almost black; an indication of high moisture content.

Aftereffects: The vanilla smell wouldn't go away! It pervaded the room, my clothing and anything else I came in contact with. I brushed my teeth 3 times, rinsed with Biotene 4 times and chewed about 50 chlorophyll tablets, but I awoke the next morning with that same vanilla taste burnt into my palette...it might be a reaction with my body chemistry, but I found that only time was effective at restoring my sense of taste.

Overall Recommendation: If you're the kind of guy that likes Borkum Riff or banana peels, this will be your luxury tobacco, indeed. If you're an average pipe smoker looking for a tobacco to test your skills and endurance on, this is it. IF, though, you're like me and you want a good, light smoke without woman-killing halitosis for the next 24 hours, you'll leave this one alone. I admit defeat. This tobacco wins. I lose!

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I have evaded this stuff for a long time. I like both Skandinavik Regular and the Full Aroma tobaccos, but with my vanilla burn out of the candy smokes, I just assumed that this blend would be the same as the others. Was I wrong!!!!

This stuff is mean at first and then settles down.

Think of cinnamon and make it strong. You wind up with Red Hot. Think of vanilla and make it strong. You wind up with Skandinavik Vanilla.

This vanilla is "PROFOUND". Very very deep.

The quality is very good. Skandinavik has got to be the best pouch tobacco around. A pretty gold & black course ribbon cut.

A real surprise. A totally different change of pace. .....This Ain't Sweet!

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Strong Strong Full Very Strong

I find this tobacco a delightful but very strong aromatic, in fact it is one of the strongest I have really ever smoked.

I smoke this in an Erik Nording Hunter's Series Moose. Upon openning the 1.5 oz Pouch the delightful aroma of Vanilla immediately fills your senses with the sweetness of it's flavor. The cut is a thick ribbon cut which I found that it needs to be packed a little looser than I like. It was a little more difficult to light, but once you had a hot ash it seemed to burn fairly well, but expect to be useing the tamper more often.

The tobacco, if one is not paying attention will burn hot and give a tongue bite, this one needs to be smoked very slow.

All in all, I like the tobacco on occasions, but would not recommed it to someone just starting out smoking a pipe. It does have a different taste because of the Oriental and white Tennessee Burley tobaccos, but a taste that is unique.

This particular brand is made in Denmark for Peter Stokkebye International LTD.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Strong Very Strong Full Strong

This blend?s description says, ?combines the flavor of the high grade leaf tobacco with a deep vanilla flavor.? Believe it! This is one of the strongest aromatic blends I have ever smoked but I really like it. It is high quality tobacco and upon opening the tin I was overwhelmed with a powerful vanilla aroma. The second I lit it I could taste the vanilla. It does have a fine room aroma and smokes well but a little hot so smoke it slowly. You couldn?t make this your all-day smoke because it would just be too much vanilla to handle. I will enjoy it for a good change of pace from time to time though.