Toasted Cavendish and mild Virginia tobaccos.

BrandSkandinavik
Taste
2.6
BowHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BowHunter (12)

I really like it! It's perfect for beginners and gives satisfaction to seasoned smokers! Opening the bulk it's quiet clear the smell of a good virginia inside the stuff. I let it dry for ten minutes and the packed. Very easy to pack, very easy to light. I really love this smoke! No topping flavour, just tobacco taste. It's like...horizontal flavour. In the center you can feel the nutty tast of the virginia, with sweet wings aside. It's one of those tobacco you can feel during smoking the same smell not smokers smell around you! Doesn't bite at all and goes til the end with almost no relighting. It requires a cold and slow sipping, 'cause it can become hot. I must repeat: I really like it. Cheap and loyal. I suggest this tobacco as a all day tobacco for seasoned smokers like me or as a school tobacco for people who start smoking pipe now.

Pedro_Albuquerque Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pedro_Albuquerque (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I was recently overpowered by the design of the pouch and instead of buying a more reliable blend I bought this one, being seduced by it's appellative Nordic wooden theme.

As I was driving home I thought - Well, thats bound not to be a great tobacco, it's cheap, they seam to have it everywhere it's likely to be something quite bad...

I later found myself corrected, as I and a fellow pipe smoker decided to try the Tobacco (and the brand, neither of us had ever smoked skandinavik). My first impression when I opened the pouch was the freshness of the tobacco, it was in imaculate state of conservation and moist, it didn't smell aromatic, yet it smelled rather sweet and woody. Packed it lighted it. It was tobacco.Very simple, tasty, yet mild, no pretense, just a respectable cool burning, lightly sweet blend. I was instantly impressed, it was exacly what the name 'Regular' makes you feel. As the bowl progresses it might get a little bit stronger, and it is not aromatic, I don't recommend it in public indoor places, though is very much tolerable in the sense that the smell doesn't propagate very far, (or so it seams).

I've since then purchased more of this blend, I find it a very good companion for when you don't know specifically what you want, and just want to enjoy the pipe, and a good smoke.

Well, I've been around some 'over the counter' pipe tobaccos, taking in consideration that it's a cheap, very available tobacco (at least around here), I cannot resist giving it top score (in it's class)

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Sk. Regular... Having this 50g pouch in my stash for a while, I decided to give it a go. Opening the pouch exposed some really colorful tobacco, yellow to dark brown strands, with everything in between, with a pleasing all tobacco, topping free aroma, The pouch indicated it was made by Orlik, so with very little risk, I grabbed my cob and this freshly opened pouch, and went about my business, with this as my day smoke. Worked out just great as a all day choice. Easy to manage, stays lit and best of all no soap mouth feel or bite. Even with my erratic outdoor puffing cadence. Well done Orlik. For its intended purpose in a cob, 3 stars. With my personal rating also in a cob, 4 out of 5

I was anxious to try both Skandinavik Regular and Full Aroma, so much so that I basically smoked them right off the UPS truck when my order arrived.

I chose Regular for my first smoke. I love the new tin packaging; 4 1/2 ounces of very fresh tobacco. There was no aromatic tin aroma, just the mild scent of tobacco. Packing and lighting were both a breeze. The Regular was predominantly Burley forward. I thought after the first few puffs that it would be a milder version of Troost Special, but it never developed in the flavor department like Special as the Virginias maintained itself far in the background. There was no moisture to speak of, nor did it really bite - just the occasional tongue nip. A moderate nicotine presence as well. Slow puffing brings out a nice Burley presence - subtle and appealing, and with a faint taste of raisin and honey. There was also a mild, spicy character while smoking that was quite enjoyable. In taste, it reminds me of Mac Baren's Burley London Blend (one of my favorites), but without the tongue sharpness. The room note is naturally pleasant - very pipey .

Skandinavik Regular is the type of pipe tobacco that originally attracted me to pipe smoking some 35 years ago. It is a nice, simple, and comfortable smoke. Great for when all you want is "a pipe."

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I didn't have great expectations about this tobacco, and it kinda surprised qualitywise. A regular Virginia/Burley/Cavendish mixture with low casing, providing a fair tobacco taste. Nothing remarkable, but a solid morning smoke, when you need a good tobacco that won't saturate your taste buds nor require you to sit contemplatively in order to enjoy it.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Different than the Full Aroma, I noticed a sweet and nutty aroma upon opening the tin.

It tickled the tip of my tongue as I was smoking.

Nice offering, a change of pace from more complex mixtures.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)

I just tried this tobacco for the first time the other day. All in all, a pretty good smoke. Not too strong, a good burley-virginia flavor. An all day smoke, not complicated.

Recommended

DEMONSIX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEMONSIX (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good smoke. Have a friend that realy likes this. He gave me some of his stash. I would buy it myself.

Review based on a sampler I received from a friend - perhaps an ounce and perhaps too little to make an honest assessment. However....

This is a pretty decent rendition of the typical Danish-style burley-based cavendish aromatic. Nothing leaps out here but it has the typical subtle honey flavor and nice room note - mild but with a tendency to bite if puffed too rapidly. Much more tobacco flavor than an American-style aromatic. I loved the cut of this - sort of a mostly rubbed out but not completely rubbed out flake. Nice burning qualities. The flavor was a bit too mild to make this a reference blend. It came across as sort of a dumbed down Mac Baren Symphony, lacking that tobacco's immense complexity in favor of a simple mild all day tobacco.

I'm just getting into these "Danish OTC's" if you will so I can so far really only compare this to its sister blend, Full Aroma Cavendish, at this point.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked Amphora Brown for years and thought since I can't get it in the US I would try this to see if it was a suitable replacement. It's not the same but it is a good replacement for it. I like it. If one is looking for the typical Danish VA based natural tobacco, this is not it, this one has burley front and center as it's main component and it is a great burley. It is nutty sweet with a very rich, creamy flavor and a very nice room note that is not heavy at all. It would play well around non smokers that find pipe smoke too heavy. It is a semi rubbed out pressed flake, and it arrived in a ready to smoke moisture content. It is deep brown in color and I don't like to rub it out more, I smoke in a large bowled pipe as I would a partial rubbed out flake. It takes a few tries to light, but once lit, it stays lit well. It burns nice and slow, and is a pleasure to sit and read with. It is a bit stout and would be a tongue biter if smoked to fast, but smoked in a relaxed sipping motion, it is just right. Not for a beginner but for an old burley lover like me, it is quite nice. It burns to the bottom of the pipe without moisture in the pipe and burns to a fine ash of dark grey. I find no or little dottle and a dry pipe after smoking this. I like it a lot and in reality would give it five stars if it was a match for Amphora which is the perfect blend for this type.

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm halfway through this pouch of tobac. I'm still trying to decide if continuing is worth it. The packing, lighting and smoke generation is fine, the dryness, lack of denoted flavor and resulting burn if not careful, can spoil any pipe experience. With this blend you will have to take care in your draw and prepare yourself if you don't. On the principle of cost and budget, I will finish the pouch. But, won't revisit. Not for the novice. Even though noted as mild...

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

reading the reviews on this one can throw you off . Here's my spin .It's not Amphora brown but I can see why it's compaired to it often . It's not as dry as amphora and is'nt pressed as much . I don't taste an aromatic here though . This tastes like a nice burley ...woody , alittle nutty and very easy to smoke. It's nice .If ya like burley this is pretty damn good ...not as good as MacBaren golden extra but would do for sure . Again.... burley all the way and it funks up the pipe a bit .

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

UPDATE FEB06/2009:

just another way to "play" with SR: since it's often that Burley weed having earthy and chocolatey notes, a good way to improve both (and the strength as well), is to add a couple of Toscanello cigars "Aroma Fondente" (half cigars of italian Kentucky aromatized with bitter chocolate) which I cut in discs as we do with SG's BR#4 and rub-out.

Should I regret with the TR Community for my OT ?

PREVIOUS REVIEW FEB04/2009:

Trip to Skandinavik # 2 ...

I like sometimes to pay a visit to some OTC aromatics (and regulars, first!).

I want to cut it extremely short: I completely stick to the synthetic review of Mr. SopwithCamel. And say SR is very enjoyable when you are looking for something easy not needing particular commitment, and non offensive for non-smokers who are around you. I also agree with others that the weed quality is very much better than Amphoras.

As I have already with the new entry Arabica, I'm just "playing" with SR and found that two flakes of Irish Flake by Peterson do improve body and strength the right bit, without changing the true nature of this Danish VaB.

In any case, for what SR is itself deserves three full stars; if we compare it to higher notch stuff, two are enough.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I decided to try this after reading reviews on this site, and seeing it at one of my local discount cigarette/cigar/ stores. This place carries Prince Albert and Half and Half at good prices, Paladin Black Cherry (which I've not tried), the full complement of Captain Blacks, a couple of inexpensive bagged tobaccos, and now a couple of Skandinavik varieties. Mine came in a standard wrap-around pouch, with what looked like new graphics for this line. The tobacco came in a decent ribbon-cut, very firmly packed into the pouch, with "18 percent more" now included. Very inviting, honeyish pouch-note. I found that once I pulled a few pinches from the slightly sticky wad in the pouch, it helped to sort of rub it out, or pull it apart a little to prep it for the pipe. Once in, it burns very nicely, has a pleasant, mild flavor, mostly tobacco with a little honey sweetness, requires maybe one relight past the initial light/tamp/relight, and is a good value for the dough (about $4.95 here in SoCal). I'd recommend this to new pipe smokers as a transition away from gooey aromatics, or just as a pleasant change of pace for the long-timer that won't require a lot of thought. Nice stuff.

Update 4/29/09-- I'm about 2/3 of the way through this initial pouch, and I unfortunately have to downgrade this a little. The more I smoke it, the less pleasant the flavor and roomnote seemed to become-- more in line with the "burned soy-sauce" I've heard described. I tried using it as a mixer, but it just made other blends unpleasant. I will still try Skandinavik's other blends-- I have a pouch of the Full Aroma Cavendish waiting.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)

This review is based on a new 4 1/2 oz can. I used to smoke the original blend years ago, when it was a deep brown rubbed out flake in a brown can or pouch. I always thought the original version had a nutty, sharp flavor. I am on a Burley kick as of late, and remembered the original blend with fond memories. I had planned on stocking the cellar with this, but decided to order only one can to try again before I pulled the trigger on a large order. I'm glad I did, as the new version is nothing at all like the original. The new version comes in a pale yellow can, and upon popping the lid and removing the foil seal, was shocked to see that this is now a ribbon cut, composed of light brown and yellow tobacco. There are a few pieces of rubbed out flake, but not many. The smell in the tin is mild, kind of malty, and smooth. I filled my trusty Burley pipe, and applied flame. The smoke is mild, not quite rich and creamy, but not thin or papery as some Burlies can be. The flavor is a bit malty, typical Burley, but again nothing like the original. The flavor does not really evolve throughout the smoke, remaining good I suppose, but I am so disappointed in the change from the original version that my review is bound to be tainted. This is a good enough tobacco blend, but I wish I had stocked up on the old version. It is certainly worth a try if one likes Burlies, don't let my review scare you off. Another old classic gone. Sigh......

Update 11/25/08 Okay, I am over my original disappointment. This is a good smoke, nothing like the original, but O.K. I am bumping this up to three stars, because standing on it's own merits I like it for what it is. I now smoke MacBaren's Symphony in place of the original Skandinavik, but this stuff is alright.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

Have we been unfair with it??? I smoked it during vacation, almost obligatorily, and remembered that you can smoke it easily, it doesn?t have any flavor and almost no perfume, it doesn?t bother the curious non-smokers, who you meet in the summer, it doesn?t burn the tongue bite, it remains dry till the end of the bowl, but it burns and finishes fast.

As an alternative solution is ok.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I believe (together with the Vanilla) this blend is the best of the Skandinavic series and one of the few worthy drugstore tobaccos out there. It has a pure tobacco/burley aroma with no casing and natural taste. I like this staff although I don't like Skandinavic blends in genera. It lacks the character of other BU/VA and it is rather mono-dimensional but it burns cool and nice..

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Scandinavik regular is a large cut broken flake à la Amphora. Contrary to Amphora - which is half decent quality- this tobacco is better in terms of quality. It was told it's the equivalent of Amphora brown, but it's not.

As where Amphora Regular is barely cased, Scandinavik is heavily cased with a walnut, or similar flavor. The bakkie's moisture level is higher and the bakkie a bit sticky to the touch.

The bummer starts upon lighting; it's so heavily cased that it bites the tongue and takes a long time before settling down. And it doesn't really smokes dry, either.

Too bad, I wanted to like that one, I like the sail boat on the pouch...

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tastes like soy sauce, on fire, in your mouth. Not my thing, and I like the Sails and Troost and the other Danish Cavendishi. I liked the old Skandinaviks much better. The mildly aromatic blue package is (in my opinion) more like the old stuff than this.

Not my cup of tea...sorry Peter.

Update 2-13-10: So I picked up a package of this the other day at my local tobacco shop. I've been smoking through a pack of Sail Regular and Skan's Full Aroma offering (which has become a go-to wintertime smoke for me this season). I had tried and didn't like the Regular last time I tried it several years ago, but I noticed the pack and realized that I hadn't tried the Orlick version. Since the Full Aroma quality has increased (IMHO) in the past few years I decided to give it a whirl.

Yes, this is a better tobacco than it was a few years ago. As a test, a few bowls into the new pack, I loaded up a bowl from the old half pouch of the disgusting stuff and did a head to head. Yup, certainly an improvement in the "New Package". It seems that the quality of the leaf is higher and the amount of processing is lower. Mild, no bite that I could detect, a nice woodsy "tobbaco-y" scent and flavor. Similar to Sail Yellow but no anise notes, instead there's something there that reminds me of the "toased smell" that one gets from a newly-opened pack of Lucky Strike Cags (unfiltered, of course). Room note neutral to pleasant to my SO.

No soy sauce was detected.

So, I'm thrilled to have another good affordable natural type cavendish in my rotation. What a nice suprise to have a formerly mediocre tobacco redeem itself a few years later. Hats off to Orlick.

It's inexpensive too. A little more than $4 per 1 3/4 Oz when ordered through JR. Tins cheaper but for everyday smoking I prefer pouches 'cause they're handy.

Now I'll say that this is recommended, in fact, I'll wager that there'll be an order for a few five packs being sent out to JR in a few days once I finish this pack and the other one that I bought at another shop yesterday!

Anchkema Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anchkema (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Straight from the tin, this is basically a partially rubbed out burley with some Virginia, though the Va is waaaaay in the background, I'd say. The smell is tobacco-ey, which I count a good thing.

I'd put this in the broad group of pipeweed well suited to a break in lawn chores or for newbies (see below). It seems to be best matched with a nice cob.

A plus is that you can smoke it as is on a breezy day or rub it out a little when the breeze goes down or you go inside.

A minus, for me, is that I sometimes puff it too hard looking for a bit of taste and instead get a mouthful of flavor-free hot air. If I remember correctly, I have this experience when I try Skand Reg in a Meer, a combo which some may deride.

The problem is that the taste is uniform from the beginning to the end of the bowl, and it has no Wow! quality or (maybe better) no Yecch! quality, either.

I've recommended Skand Reg to new pipers to help them gain skill rubbing tobacco out, loading the pipe properly and getting a taste of straight burley to compare with other pipeweed. Since it's easy to keep lit, beginners don't get frustrated with relights, excessive puffing and the dreaded bite. There's not much to put them off. As others have said, Skand Reg is preferable in every way to drugstore aromatics.

I know skilled pipers who keep this on hand. Can't say I'm one of them, though.

4.22.06 I've started to mix McClelland 5100 with my bowlful of Skandinavik and like the combo. I do about 50/50, which amounts to a homemade Half and Half. The 5100 augments taste and the Skand seems to keep the fire burning.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This coarse-cut tobac has that "Danish" (honey?) taste and aroma I can only take in small doses. Otherwise for a tobacco found in many discount venues it is quite good.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Much like its predecessor Amphora, this is no longer readily available where I live. It was an excellent choice for a plain, reliable, smoke.

The quality is worlds away better than most drug store Burleys. The price is nice too. It has a mild, nutty flavor, and doesn't turn bitter as some of the other OTC burley blends do. It never bit me.

The Full Aroma version is a competent blend: raisiny and sweet to my palate. It's a little too sweet for me, so I prefer the brown pouch to the red. Alas, I can only find either one online...

Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Peter Stokkebye's knockoff of the old Douwe Egberts Amphora Regular (Brown pouch/tin)that is no longer available in the the USA since the Imperial Tobacco Group, PLC acquisition. Although they've done a good job, this blend matches the old Amphora that I always felt was rather flat and bland. Also with this blend comes a somewhat bitter aftertaste and < desirable room aroma. The partially broken but thick tobacco burns slowly and cool but I never did and still don't enjoy the flavor.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I really like this blend when I want to smoke a plain, predominant Burley tobacco for a change of pace from aromatic blends. The open tin imparted a strong nutty, almost chocolate aroma that I found pleasing. The tobacco appears to be high quality and is made up of dark brown strands. It smoked wonderfully in my pipe and kept its nutty aroma and taste throughout. If you are looking for a no-nonsense, mostly Burley (with some mild Virginia) blend then spend the few extra bucks on this rather then buy the drug store Burley brands. This is worth it.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

What can I say; I like the stuff. For a pouch tobacco it is very good grade. This tobacco should not be compared to the "drug store blends". Yes, it can be, at times, flat tasting and leave a "nutty" after taste. But one should not compare this toasted Burley blend with the good Virginias. They're totally different. I like smoking Skan Regular while working and fishing. Where alot of attention is not warranted. This might stem from my heavy cigarette consumption of years past.

Skandinavik Regular is not a candy smoke. There's no hint of vanilla, cherry or berry. Just an honest smoke; no thrills.

It burns rather hot, so go slow or you'll get tongue bite. It's a decent smoke with some nuttiness; an uncomplicated smoke for outdoor lawn mowing or for a beginner. Other than that, there's little to say about it because it's just nothing special to the experienced smoker.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This cavendish tastes exactly as I expected, plain, nutty Burley with some Virginia tangy-sweetness...simple and mono-taste all the way down.

BURNS HOT AND BITES if you don't care puffing veeery slowly: there are a few better blends out there if you need this plain and nutty sensation, avoiding bites.

I prefer smoking it adding some Latakia & macedonia to reduce the bites and even the burning qualities.

If I was to rate it considering the bites I'd give it just 1 star...but considering taste first, 2 stars are better

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (83)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A simply Cavendish that smokes exactly like it smells: tobacco. It isn't bad and I can easily recommend a try, but for me it has a monolithic taste and burns a bit hot.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'll make this review brief. I was disappointed. I thought of it as "Troost Lite". I enjoy Troost and I suppose that was my reference and with Troost being readily available, I've no reason to buy this one. It isn't a bad tobacco at all, it just isn't as good as a tobacco of similar type with equal availability.

It is definitely worth a try as you may well like it but if you do like it be sure to give Troost a try as well.

Morhamster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morhamster (8)

not so bad but nothing special.5 or 6 hours after smoking this product, i feel something in my throat than it was normal. That was strange.

But i like its package. It is really attractive.